inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: General video game discussion thread.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/18/07 at 3:10 pm

A thread for video game debate and discussion. Anything video game related, it doesn't matter if it's from a console(like Xbox, Nintendo or Sony) or online.

I'll start it off real quick with a couple of things.

I've been playing alot of Dragon Warrior and Mega Man lately.

I've also found some stuff on youtube of bands covering music from video games.(I've heard of that for awhile, but didn't get the chance to hear until recently)

Subject: Re: General video game discussion thread.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/18/07 at 3:18 pm

Since I'm on the road a lot now, I take the PlayStation with me. I only have one game for it: Gran Turismo 2. I beat the original close to 10 years ago, but had forgotten why I gave up on GT2. Then I played it again. Two words: Laguna Seca. That freakin' corner took almost 80 tries to pass the time trials for the licenses. I've got the International A license now and have completed ~11% of the tracks.

I also play Risk a fair amount. For a 1996 game, it's pretty cool. Risk 2 wasn't as good.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Oregon Trail for free? I had the disk at one point but have misplaced it.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/07 at 10:26 pm

I've been playing my Atari 7800 alot lately.  I forgot how fun the simple basic games can be.  I also know something else .. the track games are super challenging ...

Both 'Activision Decathalon' and 'EPYX Summer Games' involve moving the joystick lightning fast, and I've never sweat so much in my life ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/07 at 10:31 pm

Played a lot of Xbox 360 on the humongous screen this weekend.  Gears of War looks great on 720p, I can only imagine how it looks on 1080p/i if the condo ever votes to upgrade projectors :D

Written By: nally on 11/18/07 at 11:24 pm

Haven't played much in the way of actual video games lately. The last time I played in an arcade was in late 2005, and the game was Ms Pac-Man. My all-time best score on that game is approximately 120,000.

Written By: whistledog on 11/19/07 at 12:02 am

Haven't played much in the way of actual video games lately. The last time I played in an arcade was in late 2005, and the game was Ms Pac-Man. My all-time best score on that game is approximately 120,000.

I used to play a ticket version.  For each level you passed, and/or each fruit you ate, you got a ticket.  I never got enough tickets to be able to get anything though.  The arcade here closed down before I could :\'(

Written By: nally on 11/19/07 at 12:07 am

I used to play a ticket version.  For each level you passed, and/or each fruit you ate, you got a ticket.  I never got enough tickets to be able to get anything though.  The arcade here closed down before I could :\'(

Wow, you used to play a machine that spit out tickets? That's different. Often times, the Pac-Man machines I played at were in the arcade rooms at whatever college I was attending...and at CSUN (where I still go), the arcade closed down permanently in January 2006, and was remodeled into a copy center.

Speaking of arcades closing down, there was one at a shopping mall I used to frequently go to in the 90's, especially on the weekends. My dad and I would often go to this arcade, which was known as 'Time Out'...and we'd usually rack up tickets on Skee-Ball. Time Out closed down in mid-1996, so any tickets I still had at the time were no good.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/19/07 at 6:46 pm

Since I'm on the road a lot now, I take the PlayStation with me. I only have one game for it: Gran Turismo 2. I beat the original close to 10 years ago, but had forgotten why I gave up on GT2. Then I played it again. Two words: Laguna Seca. That freakin' corner took almost 80 tries to pass the time trials for the licenses. I've got the International A license now and have completed ~11% of the tracks.

I also play Risk a fair amount. For a 1996 game, it's pretty cool. Risk 2 wasn't as good.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Oregon Trail for free? I had the disk at one point but have misplaced it.

Ant

I've never been any good at racing games, the only ones I ever played were Pole Position from Atari and Outrun(which I think is from Sega)...

RPGs and side scroller have always been a strength of mine.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/24/07 at 3:16 pm

Here's a few vids of video game music covers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Gt4tOUd-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkaTq7Ywrw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eScK2sNYc

Written By: Red Ant on 11/25/07 at 11:09 pm

Aside from "Operation: Wolf", I never held a high score on any arcade machine. I got to where I could beat that game on one quarter.

I've never been any good at racing games, the only ones I ever played were Pole Position from Atari and Outrun(which I think is from Sega)...

RPGs and side scroller have always been a strength of mine.

Gran Turismo just takes practice. At first, I drove everywhere except the track. After a while, you actually start finishing other than dead last. Get licenses. Upgrades to your POS used car.

By the end, the Concept Car was invinicible on everything except the test track (the big oval where <800 HP means you're hosed). Once I got to the first turn, I never saw the computer controlled cars except to lap them. Got really boring at the end. Funny thing is, that car was delivered to me (via winning a series: it isn't able to be bought) with the absolute worst settings and was undriveable. It took quite a bit of adjusting to get it to be a world beater.

Anyone on Oregon Trail?

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/07 at 12:07 am

One arcade game I used to be real good at was called 'Splash'.  It was a game similar to Qix, where you controlled a paintbrush and whle avoiding giant bubbles, you had to paint atleast 75% of the screem.  Each level came in three's, after completing each one, you'd see a picture of a woman go from a skimpy outfit, to topless, to fully nude

I never really played it to see the naked ladies (though it was a bonus).  I liked it because I was good at it, and i could make 1 quarter last a very long time.  I almost beat it in one quarter once, but it was such a long game, the arcade was closing, so I never made it :(  The score I got though lasted for quite a while. You can get 'Splash' for the MAME.  I have it, but I can't play it cause it runs super slow on my PC.  Just as well though as I'd probably still be addicted to it

Aside from "Operation: Wolf", I never held a high score on any arcade machine. I got to where I could beat that game on one quarter.

One quarter?  Dang :o

I sucked so bad at that game, but for some reason, I was much better at the sequel "Operation: Thunderbolt".  Never finished it in one credit, but I could get near the end

Written By: wildcard on 11/26/07 at 10:56 am

I never had a high score in much of anything.  I have won some games without any help.  I use to play Goldeneye with my brothers and get shot in a nanosecond.  I didn't think I'd be able to steal as many game crowns here as I do.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/26/07 at 5:45 pm

Gran Turismo just takes practice. At first, I drove everywhere except the track. After a while, you actually start finishing other than dead last. Get licenses. Upgrades to your POS used car.

By the end, the Concept Car was invinicible on everything except the test track (the big oval where <800 HP means you're hosed). Once I got to the first turn, I never saw the computer controlled cars except to lap them. Got really boring at the end. Funny thing is, that car was delivered to me (via winning a series: it isn't able to be bought) with the absolute worst settings and was undriveable. It took quite a bit of adjusting to get it to be a world beater.

Anyone on Oregon Trail?

Ant

Yes, I just never played racing games much.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/07 at 6:37 pm

I bought Ducktales for NES today... I know, it's an old game(but a good one).

Written By: nally on 12/14/07 at 10:50 pm

I bought Ducktales for NES today... I know, it's an old game(but a good one).

A long time ago, a friend of mine had the Nintendo Game Boy version of it; he seemed to be pretty good at it. I liked the tv show better. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/15/07 at 2:35 pm

A long time ago, a friend of mine had the Nintendo Game Boy version of it; he seemed to be pretty good at it. I liked the tv show better. :)

I remember finding a site where someone got the prototype of the game.

He also took a look at the programming in it. He found an unused ending in it(as well as another unused text file).

There were a few minor differences between the prototype and final version, the music for one stage was different and the music in another stage was slower in the prototype.

I've never played the Game Boy version of it, but have beaten the NES version.

Written By: nally on 12/17/07 at 4:59 pm

I remember finding a site where someone got the prototype of the game.

He also took a look at the programming in it. He found an unused ending in it(as well as another unused text file).

There were a few minor differences between the prototype and final version, the music for one stage was different and the music in another stage was slower in the prototype.

I've never played the Game Boy version of it, but have beaten the NES version.

I never really played the Game Boy version either. I tried once, but couldn't figure out how. So that's why I left it to my friend to play it.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/07 at 8:59 pm

I never really played the Game Boy version either. I tried once, but couldn't figure out how. So that's why I left it to my friend to play it.

I'm abit rusty on the NES version, having played it for the first time in awhile.

Written By: nally on 12/18/07 at 5:59 pm

I'm abit rusty on the NES version, having played it for the first time in awhile.

I would probably be that way too after having not played certain games in a long while.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/18/07 at 6:34 pm

I would probably be that way too after having not played certain games in a long while.

Yeah, although I still got pretty far before losing all my lives(The Moon stage, which I take last).

Written By: nally on 12/18/07 at 6:44 pm

Yeah, although I still got pretty far before losing all my lives(The Moon stage, which I take last).

That's good. Anything can happen when you take a hiatus from a certain game.

I haven't played Ms. Pac-Man in two years, but I think I might still have my strategies. I became a really good player on it during 1999-2000, but after February 2001 I didn't play it again for 3 1/2 years, cuz' I had no access to a Ms. Pac Man machine. I got further along, to about stage 14, where the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/18/07 at 7:41 pm

That's good. Anything can happen when you take a hiatus from a certain game.

I haven't played Ms. Pac-Man in two years, but I think I might still have my strategies. I became a really good player on it during 1999-2000, but after February 2001 I didn't play it again for 3 1/2 years, cuz' I had no access to a Ms. Pac Man machine. I got further along, to about stage 14, where the power pellet has no effect on the ghosties.

Speaking of Ms. Pac-Man. I read that it was created by these guys that didn't work for Namco/Midway, I think they made it as a parody and called it Crazy Otto.

I'll go to check to see if I remembered that correctly.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/18/07 at 7:48 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms._Pac-Man

It was done as a bootleg hack of the original.. I was wrong about it not being done by Midway, it was done without Namco's consent. That led to a legal discussion.(Listed under the History section on the link I posted)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/05/08 at 4:05 pm

I found out not too long ago that a Homestar Runner RPG was being made for the Atari 2600...

I'll post links here in alittle while.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/05/08 at 6:15 pm

http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Homestar_Runner_RPG

The only is, it may never be finished.

Here's the site with a few images:

http://qotile.net/rpg.html

Written By: Step-chan on 01/14/08 at 5:27 pm

Here is one of the cruelest Mario hacks of all time.... Fortunately it's only 4 levels long, it's called Cat Mario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaCkpbbOVVM

It's a six part vid series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzgdS48FmQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2MgT_t2U4k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkmPFozLCo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwEOihC77Ug&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmaTBpbD8E&feature=related

Written By: Step-chan on 02/02/08 at 1:37 pm

Anyone ever hear of rom hacks?

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 12:42 am

Anyone ever hear of rom hacks?

No. Can't say that I have

Written By: Step-chan on 02/03/08 at 1:58 pm

No. Can't say that I have

There are people who have found ways to hack cartridge games and change the content of the programs(graphics, text, etc.)... I read alot of reviews on i-mockery about rom hacks.

Written By: nally on 02/03/08 at 2:01 pm

There are people who have found ways to hack cartridge games and change the content of the programs(graphics, text, etc.)... I read alot of reviews on i-mockery about rom hacks.

Oh that's not good. :o

Written By: Step-chan on 02/03/08 at 6:12 pm

Oh that's not good. :o

They use roms of the games that you can download online, not the cartridge itself. Sorry for the confusion.

Written By: nally on 02/04/08 at 12:22 pm

They use roms of the games that you can download online, not the cartridge itself. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, that's quite all right, I wasn't confused. I just didn't think it was good that anyone could do things like that.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/04/08 at 4:27 pm

Oh, that's quite all right, I wasn't confused. I just didn't think it was good that anyone could do things like that.

Sometimes the results are funny, sometimes they just suck.

I would actually like to make a hack of a game, but I don't the experience for it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/05/08 at 12:27 am

MAME is a wonderful thing, but some day, when I grow up, I'm gonna be This Guy, with his own 2400-square-foot arcade.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/05/08 at 1:58 pm

MAME is a wonderful thing, but some day, when I grow up, I'm gonna be This Guy, with his own 2400-square-foot arcade.

I think I've seen youtube vids of games being played on MAME.

Written By: karen on 02/28/08 at 9:28 am

Anyone on Oregon Trail?

Ant

this?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/08 at 7:09 pm

I found out the Dragon Quest 4 on the DS is coming out to the US. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...