inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Antbuster

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/17/08 at 2:50 am

Antbuster has been around for a while, great tower defense game.

Defend your "cake" (or is that a pizza?) from the on coming wave of ants. Set up your towers to defend and upgrade them as needed.

Pretty nice game, music is cool and the game play very addicting. You can build up the turrets depending on the choices and $$ you make, check the choices before you pay...

Give it a try at http://armorgames.com/play/522/antbuster  8)

If you make it past level 50 let me know. It gets pretty intense after that...

(hint: advance your heavy cannons to missiles as soon as you can, and upgrade the sniper cannons to laser ASAP. Make sure the all the other turrets have good coverage, as the ants WILL find ways to exploit the gaps in coverage!).

You can target specificly direct fire at "ant" threats by clicking on the ant for direct target firing.

Subject: Re: Antbuster

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 5:36 am

302 at the first attempt with money finishing at 15

Written By: Red Ant on 02/17/08 at 2:33 pm

I made level 53. I think I messed up by splitting my cannons and by getting spread shot cannons. About to try again..

Ant  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 2:34 pm

I made level 53. I think I messed up by splitting my cannons and by getting spread shot cannons. About to try again..

Ant  ;)

We should have in The Arcade.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/17/08 at 4:09 pm

We should have in The Arcade.

I don't think it's on the CD I have.

I made level 68. The ant's hitpoints are insane... nearly 2400 per ant.

Ant

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/18/08 at 12:42 am

Ant  ;)

Yep, after level 50 the ant hit points is just too high. >:(
Even with missiles and lasers taking direct hits on the little buggers they still march straight through...I think the issue is not only does the hit points for the ants increase too steeply, the cost for upgrades, not to mention the cost for a new cannon/turrent gets so expensive as you can't really afford to try to buy another.

When choosing to upgrade via the sniper cannon route, you have an option of "ice/freeze" which stops them cold, haven't tried it yet but I bet using that with some of the more advanced missile or impact cannon turret might help.

Oh yeah, the spreadhshot/double cannon are not really worth that much, for coverage yes, but for damage no.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/18/08 at 1:05 am

Yep, after level 50 the ant hit points is just too high. >:(
Even with missiles and lasers taking direct hits on the little buggers they still march straight through...I think the issue is not only does the hit points for the ants increase too steeply, the cost for upgrades, not to mention the cost for a new cannon/turret gets so expensive as you can't really afford to try to buy another.

When choosing to upgrade via the sniper cannon route, you have an option of "ice/freeze" which stops them cold, haven't tried it yet but I bet using that with some of the more advanced missile or impact cannon turret might help.

Oh yeah, the spreadshot/double cannon are not really worth that much, for coverage yes, but for damage no.

My best results were achieved by using ice cannons, which slow the bugs' movement rate to 1/4 normal (2, max level, near the ant hole), poison cannons (2, max levels, at opposite side of the screen) and max level sniper cannons (various positions).

Missiles and lasers are really slow to fire, and machine guns and regular cannons aren't very accurate.

The electric cannons are nice to hit all the ants near the mound. The sonic cannon is not so hot. Using fire makes the ants run faster and out of range of your weapons. The boomerang seems fairly useless as well.

I also played a "hacked" version of the game (with virtually unlimited money) and only made level 88. Bugs have 10x the hitpoints at 88 as they do at 68.

I think a super skilled gamer could make 80 w/o hacks, but it would be very difficult to do so.

Ant

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/18/08 at 1:41 am

OK, just made it to level 71. 14491 points.

The hit points are just too high, but I did manage to get to level 71.

Upgrade the impact cannon to the ice/freeze cannon and put them in strategic places to slow the ants down.
You have to, they just move too fast, if you don't use the ice/freeze cannon they just run right up to the cake/pizza and go back to the ant hill without a care, the hit points at 71 is 2900.
I haven't used the sonic or poison yet. Not even sure they have an impact.

Also use the long range cannons in the middle to target the smart ants that move around your defenses.

Red Ant, I think you are correct, there isn't really any way to get past 70-80 level utilizing the best upgrades. No matter what you do...

Still. a cool game and concept, I'll be trying to break the 71 barrier. Its one of the few games that you will continue to play even if you know you've reached the upper limit of your achievement...

Oh, and how or where did you find a "hacked" version? From what I knew its a French game and didn't know there is any way to "game" it with extra $$ to use...

Written By: Red Ant on 02/18/08 at 10:50 pm

OK, just made it to level 71. 14491 points.

Congrats!

I haven't used the sonic or poison yet. Not even sure they have an impact.

No idea about the sonic cannon. The poison cannon (level 1) takes off at least 20+ hit points from every ant it hits. The level 2 cannon takes off 80. It's a very good area effect weapon.

Oh, and how or where did you find a "hacked" version? From what I knew its a French game and didn't know there is any way to "game" it with extra $$ to use...

Check out YouTube videos of Antbuster. One has a link to a Taiwan (Korea?) hacked version of the game that starts you off with several million dollars. Note that even with this hack you cannot buy unlimited turrets, and the game gets seriously laggy and plays slow past 80 due to all the firing of your weapons and the ants' massive hitpoints.

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 02/20/08 at 2:14 am

Made level 74 with 6 maxxed out sniper cannons, 2 cold (1 mx, the other not) cannons and one maxxed out bug srayer.

Ant

Written By: Red Ant on 03/07/08 at 8:37 pm

Made level 92 hack free (8 max sniper cannons, 2 max cold cannons).  8)

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...