inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Video Game Music

Written By: Step-chan on 02/27/08 at 4:59 pm

Whether it ranges from console to PC or online games.

Some of mine include:

Certain ones from the Mega Man series, music from Cutman, Bubbleman, Snake Man and Tomahawk Man's stages.(As well the ending and credit music from Mega Man 3)

There are some from Dragon Warrior/Quest series that I fell in love with, namely the remix of the Alefgard music from the 3rd game, Lamia's(When you're flying on the bird) and the credit music after the ending. Some other ones are from the 4th game, namely the 4th chapter's travel and battle themes and the 5th game's battle theme.

What are some of yours?

Subject: Re: Favorite Video Game Music

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/08 at 5:56 pm

I like old school video game music from the 8 bit and 16 bit systems like the NES, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis.

In terms of my individual favorites, I like the music from the early Legend of Zelda games, Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, and Super Mario World. I especially love the music from the Sonic The Hedgehog games on the Genesis though. The level by level music that it plays on Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is some of the best ever.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/29/08 at 12:11 am

Gonna take this a little further and add in arcade machines.  Sega's Afterburner was the game that got me into video game music as its own art form.  I couldn't read Japanese, but the first time I saw a CD of game music from the SST Band (Sega Sound Team), I knew I had to have it.  (Besides, I'd long since worn out a cassette tape I'd recorded from hooking up a tape recorder to the speaker outputs of the arcade machine after-hours :)

There's times I wish I'd been born in Japan.  Yes, the West now has the whole 8-bit music scene going on now, and it's wonderful, but we had to wait 10-20 years for it to develop.  The artists who did Japanese gaming soundtracks were doing concerts in front of live audiences back in the early '90s, when the games for which they wrote the themes were still new!  Video proof here and here

More links and video game music are widely available out there.  If you like what you see, get the "SST Band Live History" DVD released a couple of years ago.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/29/08 at 1:20 pm

I forgot about arcade games... Those are fine for listing as well.  ;)

An old one that is a fav of mine is the Skyworld theme from Kid Icarus.

Edit:

On a side note, I've also listened to some stuff from flyingomelette(a site I go to on and off)...

There are some songs from games on that site that weren't used in any games(River City Ransom has some unused).

Written By: whistledog on 02/29/08 at 7:14 pm

All the music from the NEC/Turbo Grafx-16 games 'Neutopia' and 'Neutopia II'

Most especially hte music heard when you walk into people's houses, which is heard in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7CG2RrmjcU

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/29/08 at 7:54 pm

Gonna take this a little further and add in arcade machines.  Sega's Afterburner was the game that got me into video game music as its own art form.  I couldn't read Japanese, but the first time I saw a CD of game music from the SST Band (Sega Sound Team), I knew I had to have it.  (Besides, I'd long since worn out a cassette tape I'd recorded from hooking up a tape recorder to the speaker outputs of the arcade machine after-hours :)

There's times I wish I'd been born in Japan.  Yes, the West now has the whole 8-bit music scene going on now, and it's wonderful, but we had to wait 10-20 years for it to develop.  The artists who did Japanese gaming soundtracks were doing concerts in front of live audiences back in the early '90s, when the games for which they wrote the themes were still new!  Video proof here and here

More links and video game music are widely available out there.  If you like what you see, get the "SST Band Live History" DVD released a couple of years ago.

Another example of the Japanese being ahead of us ;)

This did surprise me though. I didn't think that the '8 bit/16 bit' music fad started until a couple of years ago, and the first band that I knew of to play almost exclusively video game music were The Minibosses.

Written By: Henk on 03/01/08 at 1:46 am

I don't play much games anymore, and I don't pay much attention to the music (unless it's a song I happen to know).

But I had to list this one... Music from "Assasin's Creed", and would you believe the artists are Dutch?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/01/08 at 1:38 pm

Has anyone else here ever heard of bands covering video game music?

(I've watched some concert clips of them)

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/08 at 7:18 pm

I don't play much games anymore, and I don't pay much attention to the music (unless it's a song I happen to know).

But I had to list this one... Music from "Assasin's Creed", and would you believe the artists are Dutch?

and in a similar nature, 'Boten Anna' by Basshunter is used in the popular computer game 'Counterstrike' :)

Written By: Wolveroses on 03/06/08 at 12:20 pm

I have to say all the music on the Zelda games.  I especially like the old school NES Zelda 1.  But recently I love "Sarinas Song" from Ocarina Of Time.  Some are ok from Twilight Princess.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/07/08 at 8:19 pm

I have to say all the music on the Zelda games.  I especially like the old school NES Zelda 1.  But recently I love "Sarinas Song" from Ocarina Of Time.  Some are ok from Twilight Princess.

I like the final palace's music in Zelda 2 the most...

I agree that Zelda has good music in general.

Written By: Wolveroses on 03/08/08 at 6:36 am

I don't know if anyone played Nights for the Wii, the music is excellent.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/13/08 at 1:17 pm

I'll do a detailed favorite music list.(including stuff I mentioned previously)

Mega Man:

1. Cut man
2. Dr. Wily(first two stages)

Mega Man 2:

1. Bubble man
2. Flash man
3. Quick man
4. Air man
5. Wood man
6. Dr. Wily(first 2 stages)

Mega Man 3:

1. Snake man
2. Hard man
3. Gemini man
4. Ending Part 1(Protoman theme)
5. Ending Part 2(Credits)

Mega Man 4:

1. Pharoah man
2. Bright man
3. Skull man
4. Dive man

Mega Man 5:

1. Napalm man
2. Charge man

Mega Man 6:

1. Tomahawk man
2. Blizzard man

Dragon Quest/Warrior

1. Battle music

Dragon Quest/Warrior 2

1. Battle music
2. Full party music

Dragon Quest/Warrior 3

1. Lamia's song
2. Alefgard
3. Battle with Zoma

Dragon Quest/Warrior 4

1. Mara's dance/battle music
2. Chapter 4's overworld music

Dragon Quest 5

1. Battle music

Kid Icarus

1. Skyworld
2. Ending music

That it's for now. I'll do more later.

Written By: wildcard on 03/13/08 at 11:11 pm

Mega Man 2:

1. Bubble man
2. Flash man
3. Quick man
4. Air man
5. Wood man
6. Dr. Wily(first 2 stages)

Quick Man and Wood Man are probably my favorate, but all of this is good.  I could play this game up till the level in Dr Wiley has these things that shoot you every once in a while.  You need the crash bombs to kill them and I always ran out.  I had to use the Game Genie to get past that one part.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/15/08 at 1:46 pm

Quick Man and Wood Man are probably my favorate, but all of this is good.  I could play this game up till the level in Dr Wiley has these things that shoot you every once in a while.  You need the crash bombs to kill them and I always ran out.  I had to use the Game Genie to get past that one part.

I've never needed a Game Genie to beat that boss(or any boss in the game for that matter, it's easier than the 1st game).

Here is the key to beating this boss:

As you know, there are 5 of them, as well as multiple walls(might be five walls).

As you know, you can only destroy 2 of the walls, so you have to be careful with the crashbombs.

You have to destroy the 2 walls that give you no choice, of course. Then use items 1 and 3 to work around the other walls.

Also, here is an interesting fact about walls(You might already know this):

Any wall you destroy will still be gone if you get killed and go back to the boss.... Which leads to an alternate method to beating this particular boss, which isn't a bad idea as long as you have extra lives for it....

Destroy all the walls in the room, let yourself get killed... Destroy some enemies to get weapon refills for the crash bombs and then go back to the boss. It's abit high maintance, but you'll have full crash bombs and won't have to deal with those annoying walls.

I'll be posting some more VG music here later. :)

Written By: wildcard on 03/15/08 at 3:30 pm

I've never needed a Game Genie to beat that boss(or any boss in the game for that matter, it's easier than the 1st game).

Here is the key to beating this boss:

I'll be posting some more VG music here later. :)

Maybe some day I'll try playing this game again.  Extra lives were no problem for me at the time I just didn't think of shooting the walls first to get them out of the way.  I was too busy trying to kill the things which was kind of dumb because you cant kill them all fast enough anyway.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/15/08 at 6:56 pm

^ Yeah, that boss battle can be a pain because of the walls, you can only shoot two of the walls(If you don't use the kill walls, then let yourself die strategy)... The rest have to be used on the shooters.... I hate how the crash bombs can only be shot 7 times.

Heck there is a rom hack of Mega Man 2, call Rock Man* No Constancy... a basic rom hack with boosted difficulty and changes to how the weapons work. Crashman's weapon on that hack uses far less energy, but it doesn't shoot across the screen(it explodes around Mega Man).

*Rock Man is, of course, Mega Man's japanese name.

Next on the VG music I like:

Ducktales:

1. Moon stage
2. African mines stage

Zelda 2:

1. Final Palace

Ironsword: Wizard & Warriors 2

1. Icefire Mountain

Valkyrie no Densetsu

1. Stage music(I have no idea if it changes... It was a Japan release only)- This music was also used in the Rock Man No Constancy version of Airman's level.

Might and Magic(A game I never played, but I like some of the music from it, watched playthroughs of it on youtube)

1. Sheltem's Theme: Found here. It's not used in the game, but is in the game's rom.

2. Battle music

Disney's Rescue Rangers

1. Happy Cat Factory

Check for new replies or respond here...