inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Enemies in video games that...

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/08 at 1:38 pm

You absolutely feared or hated dealing with?

Keep in mind that I don't mean an actual real life fear of them(like how I used to be afraid of Garbage Pail Kids), but more of a fear because of what they could do to your characters in the game... Whether it was an annoyance of some sort or just being really powerful.

I'll post mine later on, I'd like to hear from of some of you first. ;)

Subject: Re: Enemies in video games that...

Written By: Red Ant on 03/16/08 at 2:32 pm

You absolutely feared or hated dealing with?

Keep in mind that I don't mean an actual real life fear of them(like how I used to be afraid of Garbage Pail Kids), but more of a fear because of what they could do to your characters in the game... Whether it was an annoyance of some sort or just being really powerful.

I'll post mine later on, I'd like to hear from of some of you first. ;)

When I played Everquest, there were lots of enemies that I hated dealing with. In my newb days (even in mid levels), encountering Shadow Men was a recipe for instant death. I learned really quickly that keeping up see invis when running through unfamiliar zones was necessary.

Imagine walking through the woods at level 9, looking for level 6-10 bears and skeletons only to come across a full camp (4-5 monsters) of level 20-25 invisible, pet having, faster-running-than-you spellcasters. A free trip to your bind point, then you have to get a high level character (50+) to clear the camp so you can retrieve your corpse and belongings. Occasionally you could find a thief to drag your corpse back to you...

There was also a few NPCs that posed serious problems: Jocka in Grobb (old troll starting city) could cut down even level 60 characters in short order. There was a bugged NPC in Neriak (dark elf starting city) that became KOS and corpse camped my body several times.

Too many annoying mobs (from stingy loot, hellaciously long spawn times, bad pathing, etc.) to list.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/08 at 4:55 pm

The classic arcade game 'Final Fight' sprigns to mind, and anyone who remembers it, will agree with these ...

♦ Andore and Andore Jr. in the Subway tunnel
♦ The wrestling ring with the samurai sword guy
♦ The cop at the end of Level 3

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/08 at 5:14 pm

When I played Everquest, there were lots of enemies that I hated dealing with. In my newb days (even in mid levels), encountering Shadow Men was a recipe for instant death. I learned really quickly that keeping up see invis when running through unfamiliar zones was necessary.

Imagine walking through the woods at level 9, looking for level 6-10 bears and skeletons only to come across a full camp (4-5 monsters) of level 20-25 invisible, pet having, faster-running-than-you spellcasters. A free trip to your bind point, then you have to get a high level character (50+) to clear the camp so you can retrieve your corpse and belongings. Occasionally you could find a thief to drag your corpse back to you...

There was also a few NPCs that posed serious problems: Jocka in Grobb (old troll starting city) could cut down even level 60 characters in short order. There was a bugged NPC in Neriak (dark elf starting city) that became KOS and corpse camped my body several times.

Too many annoying mobs (from stingy loot, hellaciously long spawn times, bad pathing, etc.) to list.

Ant

I know a kinda similiar feeling due to my experience with Dragon Quest/Warrior, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star series. I'll touch up on that here shortly.

The classic arcade game 'Final Fight' sprigns to mind, and anyone who remembers it, will agree with these ...

♦ Andore and Andore Jr. in the Subway tunnel
♦ The wrestling ring with the samurai sword guy
♦ The cop at the end of Level 3

I do agree with those... I also hated fighting Rolento(I have the Sega CD version).

Written By: Step-chan on 03/16/08 at 5:38 pm

Now I'll list what I can remember.

On Kid Icarus:

The Eggplant Wizard was one that I definetly didn't want to deal with. Anyone who has played the game and got to the fortresses will know what I'm talking about. The Eggplant Wizards throw eggplants that turn you into a walking eggplant if they hit. Then you'll have to go to the Nurse's room in the fortress to have it removed, because you couldn't attack when you were under the eggplant curse.

Grim Reaper was another enemy, which appeared on world 1 and 3. Well, they didn't bother me by the time I got to world 3, since I was powered up abit more, but on world 1 when Pit is still at a low level they're dangerous. They call out little reapers to attack when they spot you and can easily kill you in around four hits in the first levels, at least until you're life meter is at least 2 bars.

Then you have Pluton and Pluton Fly... they're not a danger to Pit's life, as they don't do damage(You can't hurt them either)... But they do steal the powerups Pit earns from the training if they run into him(they'll be in the Black Marketeer's shop if that happens). This will effect the ending you get, since you have to have all three training room items, full hearts, max life meter and max arrow strength to get the best ending. The Pluton is actually harder to avoid than the Pluton Fly... Pluton's run and jump in your direction, Pluton Fly's hover in the air until you're in their line... and then they fly at you(it's not hard to get the flying ones to do that... just jump up high enough for them to fly in your direction, but to where they miss you).

I'll touch up on a few other games later.

Written By: wildcard on 03/16/08 at 8:41 pm

Final Fantasy had annoyances and hard to beat bosses. Beat the game with 2 fighters and two red madges.  There's a SEGA game called Shining Force and I think I'm getting some bosses and enemies confused right now. 

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 1:56 pm

Final Fantasy had annoyances and hard to beat bosses. Beat the game with 2 fighters and two red madges. 

If you're talking about the first game, I understand you on that game.

I hate fighting Astos, an early boss in the game. The reason is because Astos knew RUB, which is a death spell... I'd save right before fighting him... mainly because it's the first spell he casts and I try to silence him with MUTE. If I silence him before he casts it, then I continue a fight.

There are a few lesser enemies that I try to avoid fighting in the game, namely:

Cocktrice- These birds can turn you to stone with direct hits, early on it's hard to afford soft potions to cure the condition, so I avoid them as much as possible.

Persilisk- Not sure if I spelled that right. These are the Cocktrice's stronger cousins and they have a skill called "SQUINT", which does the same thing as "RUB", instantly killing a party member. I definetly pray I don't run into them when going through the volcano. At least you can silience them, but I still don't like dealing them.

Sorceror- Here is an enemy I never fought again after one attempt. You know how some enemies like Cocktrice and Werewolf can cause status ailments with direct blows? Well, Sorcerors can do that as well... but instead of causing ailments like poison, paralysis and petrication, Sorcerors can cause instant death with their direct blows(their normal attacks are very weak though) and know a spell called "TRANCE", which paralyzes party members... I found out what the Sorceror's real name is, it's called a Mindflayer, which I read up on just now, are based about H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. Dungeons & Dragon's Illithids, another name for Mindflayer, are also based off of Cthulhu.

The reason for the instant death hit... is based on the fact that they eat brains.

Here is alittle more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid

There's a SEGA game called Shining Force and I think I'm getting some bosses and enemies confused right now. 

I have Shining Force CD, although I haven't beaten it yet.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 2:35 pm

The original Double Dragon for the NES.  When you reached the end just before the cave, a double dose of the muscle bound Abobo would smash through the walls.  Through all the double dragons, Abobo was a pain to defeat, but in that first one, it was sometimes brutal when facing the two of them at once

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 4:28 pm

The original Double Dragon for the NES.  When you reached the end just before the cave, a double dose of the muscle bound Abobo would smash through the walls.  Through all the double dragons, Abobo was a pain to defeat, but in that first one, it was sometimes brutal when facing the two of them at once

Usually jumpkicks are the way to go with those PITA thugs.

Written By: wildcard on 03/17/08 at 5:37 pm

If you're talking about the first game, I understand you on that game.

I have Shining Force CD, although I haven't beaten it yet.

I was talking about the first Final Fantasy and I've never played any others. 

I wont say anything about Shining Force yet because I don't know how far you are and I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. I think I'm going to start playing it again.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 5:56 pm

Usually jumpkicks are the way to go with those PITA thugs.

those jump kicks always worked the best.  I found in 'Double Dragon II: The Revenge' for the NES, the knee thrust worked the best on them because on most levels, they came at you close to the edge of cliffs.  That move was often hard to do (it didn't always work the first time) so alot of the times if you missed, the guy would grab you and throw you over his shoulder off the cliff lol

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 6:12 pm

those jump kicks always worked the best.  I found in 'Double Dragon II: The Revenge' for the NES, the knee thrust worked the best on them because on most levels, they came at you close to the edge of cliffs.  That move was often hard to do (it didn't always work the first time) so alot of the times if you missed, the guy would grab you and throw you over his shoulder off the cliff lol

I had to cheat on Double Dragon 2 The Revenge to beat it, the first game I never beat.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 6:19 pm

I was talking about the first Final Fantasy and I've never played any others. 

I've played and beat the first one(NES) and the second one(SNES, it's actually Japan's fourth one). I have played the third(sixth one) on SNES, but never beat it.

I've always kept up more on Dragon Quest/Warrior than on Final Fantasy.

I wont say anything about Shining Force yet because I don't know how far you are and I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you. I think I'm going to start playing it again.

The version of Shining Force I have is on CD, is your's the cartridge one?

The CD one has a different set of characters and story.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/08 at 6:58 pm

I had to cheat on Double Dragon 2 The Revenge to beat it, the first game I never beat.

Once you master that knee kick, you can finish the game without dying once.  the only tricky part is the levels with the moving gears and conveyor belts

Written By: wildcard on 03/17/08 at 8:26 pm

The version of Shining Force I have is on CD, is your's the cartridge one?

The CD one has a different set of characters and story.

! have the cd Sega Smash Pack 2. 

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 11:07 pm

Once you master that knee kick, you can finish the game without dying once.  the only tricky part is the levels with the moving gears and conveyor belts

Which is why I cheated... I'm used to using one button to jump. :D ;D ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 03/17/08 at 11:19 pm

! have the cd Sega Smash Pack 2. 

Okay, I went on wiki.... The original Shining force is what is on it(which is what is on the smash pack):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Force

My version is a Sega CD game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Force_CD

On Sega CD Shining Force, you can pick between two books... I always liked picking the second book, I like the way the main character looks in that story, and well... I think the magician girl in that story is cuter too. :-[

It's based on the Shining Force games from the Sega Game Gear.

So we have different games in the series,  I have played the version you have though, as well as the second game on the Genesis.

Written By: wildcard on 03/17/08 at 11:56 pm

Okay, I went on wiki.... The original Shining force is what is on it(which is what is on the smash pack):

So we have different games in the series,  I have played the version you have though, as well as the second game on the Genesis.

If I remember correctly the last boss in the smash pack version is a major pain.  So strong and then recovering constantly.  The Mannequins know a move that can easily wipe your charactors.     

Written By: Step-chan on 03/18/08 at 1:02 pm

If I remember correctly the last boss in the smash pack version is a major pain.  So strong and then recovering constantly.  The Mannequins know a move that can easily wipe your charactors.     

I never made it very far on the original, although I made it abit farther on the Sega CD version. One thing I learned was to use the first level as a way to grind and build levels until the enemies didn't give you much experience, then finish the battle.

Unfortunately, Sega CD game takes quite abit a data to use, you can only save one game on the system's storage... you need a RAM cartridge to save multiple games of it(and to play the accessible third book).

I know that RAM cartridges are pratically impossible to find nowadays.

Here's the list of characters from the two books:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sega_cd/sfcd/characters1.shtml

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/sega_cd/sfcd/characters2.shtml

The second book, with Deanna the Swordsman(Who you get to name if you pick that book, well I think it's like that on all the games) and Natasha(my favorite magician) is what I like to pick, wait I think I already said that. :D ;) :) ;D

I'll list some other feared video game enemies later on today.

Written By: EthanM on 03/18/08 at 3:21 pm

I haven't been able to beat Ganon in Zelda:windwaker and had a tough time in Twilight Princess

Glass Joe in Punch out is also a challenge for me.  Seriously.

Written By: wildcard on 03/18/08 at 4:54 pm

I haven't been able to beat Ganon in Zelda

do you mean The Ocarina of Time? 

Written By: Step-chan on 03/18/08 at 6:00 pm

I haven't been able to beat Ganon in Zelda:windwaker and had a tough time in Twilight Princess

Glass Joe in Punch out is also a challenge for me.  Seriously.

Which Punch Out? Arcade or NES version?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/18/08 at 8:45 pm

Dragon Quest/Warrior series enemies that I hate:

Dragon Warrior 2-

Silver Batboon: There monsters know Defeat, a death spell that can wipe out your party.

Gold Batboon: These monsters know Sacrifice, a much more effective death spell.

Bazuzu: This miniboss in the final place knows Defeat, I pray it doesn't cast it during the fight.

Dragon Warrior 3-

Bomb Crag- After trying to fight these once in the NES version, I never fought them again. While they do nothing during battle but watch, they'll cast Sacrifice if you attack, usually happens in a couple rounds of fighting.

Hologhost- I fear these things, they know both instant death spells Beat and Defeat. To make things worse, it's not easy to hit them with Stopspell, which stops them from using their magic.

Baramos- I hate Baramos to no end.. he knows both Limbo, which warps one of your party members out of battle(except the hero) and Chaos, which can confuse a party member. The final boss Zoma is easier than Baramos.

Dragon Warrior 4-

Phantom Messenger: These guys know Beat and will cast it, fortunately... it's easy to put them to sleep.

Esturk: The only I fear about Esturk is if he wakes up during battle, he hits pretty hard(can kill Nara, the lowest hit point grower in one hit)

Nercosaro: The only reason I hate fighting the final boss in this game is because of the AI system you have to use(in the final chapter, you tell the other party members whether they should go offensive, defensive, etc.)... sometimes the characters won't do what's best.(I'm glad they switched to where you can control all your party members manually in the following sequels)

Dragon Warrior 7-

Inopp & Gonz- Ugh, nothing like fighting bosses that have skills when you haven't gotten any of your skills back... To make matters worse, they have a high critical hit rate. I've always felt this boss fight was based more on luck than strategy. >__<

Dragon Quest 8-

Tap Devil: These guys know the Death Dance, which is a party targeting death skill... it doesn't have very high odds of working... but is nerve wracking if they perform it.

Dead Ringer: Another enemy with an instant death skill... Here is what they do... the Dead Ringers will keep calling reinforcements until they get a full screen of them and peform a instant death melody... they did this during every fight I had with them and almost everytime at least one of my party members would drop dead from it... can you tell that I hate group targeting instant death skills?

Written By: EthanM on 03/19/08 at 8:34 am

No I meant wind waker, the one with the talking boat

Written By: Step-chan on 03/19/08 at 6:33 pm

Here's an opponent I hate in Super Punch Out... Dragon Chan... I hate having to time my ducking of his flying kick which drops you in one shot.

Written By: whistledog on 03/19/08 at 6:52 pm

Speaking of Punch-Out, the NES version with Mike Tyson.  The first round with Tyson was super challenging, and I always hated facing him.  In the 2nd round, he blinks his eyes and does those rapid punches that are sometimes so fast, you can't not avoid them.

With the exception of Mr. Sandman and Mike Tyson, I can KO or TKO every boxer out in the first round with ease (the 2nd Don Flamenco and 2nd Bald Bull are challenges, as I usually TKO them like 10 seconds before the first round ends).  With Tyson, it's possible to KO him out in the first round cause I've seen it done .... In the first round, if you can get a star on him and successfully use it, he'll go down and won't get up (since I've only seen it done once though, this is just theory)

Here's a little trick for the 2nd Bald Bull.  When he first appears, keep on punching him in the face until you get a star, then use it right away.  Repeat that process and you will knock him down once in just under a minute

Here's a little trick for Soda Popinski:  You know when he crouches before he does that super uppercut?  If you block, he will freeze in that position for a few seconds.  In that time, punch him in the stomach for a star, and use it right away and he will go right down.  Repeat

Here's a little trick for Super Macho Man:  Just before he gets ready to do his spin-punch, push up on the controller to make him raise his gloves, then quickly punch him in the stomach to get a star.  It's difficult to do, and sometimes you think near impossible, but once you master it, Macho Man won't be so Macho LOL

Written By: EthanM on 03/19/08 at 8:19 pm

The only punch out that i've played is on the wii virtual console and I'm actually not really interested in getting good at that one.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/19/08 at 8:26 pm

The only punch out that i've played is on the wii virtual console and I'm actually not really interested in getting good at that one.

That's the same as the NES one I imagine.

On the original Punch Out, I could make it to the world circuit, but that's where I always lost.

On the SNES game, I've beaten it with a 16-0 record... but never beat the opponent's in 30 seconds or less.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/19/08 at 8:30 pm

Speaking of Punch-Out, the NES version with Mike Tyson.  The first round with Tyson was super challenging, and I always hated facing him.  In the 2nd round, he blinks his eyes and does those rapid punches that are sometimes so fast, you can't not avoid them.

With the exception of Mr. Sandman and Mike Tyson, I can KO or TKO every boxer out in the first round with ease (the 2nd Don Flamenco and 2nd Bald Bull are challenges, as I usually TKO them like 10 seconds before the first round ends).  With Tyson, it's possible to KO him out in the first round cause I've seen it done .... In the first round, if you can get a star on him and successfully use it, he'll go down and won't get up (since I've only seen it done once though, this is just theory)

Here's a little trick for the 2nd Bald Bull.  When he first appears, keep on punching him in the face until you get a star, then use it right away.  Repeat that process and you will knock him down once in just under a minute

Here's a little trick for Soda Popinski:  You know when he crouches before he does that super uppercut?  If you block, he will freeze in that position for a few seconds.  In that time, punch him in the stomach for a star, and use it right away and he will go right down.  Repeat

Here's a little trick for Super Macho Man:  Just before he gets ready to do his spin-punch, push up on the controller to make him raise his gloves, then quickly punch him in the stomach to get a star.  It's difficult to do, and sometimes you think near impossible, but once you master it, Macho Man won't be so Macho LOL

I'm trying to remember how far I got on the World Circuit and what order the boxers are...

Because it might have been Bald Bull that whipped me in the World Circuit.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/24/08 at 6:57 pm

Final Fantasy 2(SNES)-

Here's what I can remember that I didn't like dealing with:

1. Marlboro- These abominations do a breath attack that causes multiple status ailments all at once, very annoying.

2. Fatal Eye- I hate their countdown spell, which is a death attack that kills after it gets to 0(counting from 10 at the start).

3. Plague- A boss version of the Fatal Eyes, but it uses the countdown spell on all your characters. Good thing there is a way around it.

4. Tricker- An imp that floats, constantly casts Scan on itself, revealing it's weakness(Bolt magic).... don't even think of casting those spells on it... it will retaliate will Bolt 3 and murder your party.(it has powerful magic strength) However, it will constantly cast scan on itself if you don't do it, so regular physical attacks will do(It just takes longer).

Phantasy Star 2-

Blaster- These enemies first pop up in the second tower in the game(which is pretty early) in groups of two, which makes them deadly to deal with(especially if they catch you off guard)... When they pop up later though. they're no problem.

Fanbite- One of the first enemies that can instantly kill one of your characters in one hit occasionally... I was watching my cousin play the game one time they killed one of his characters in one shot.

Shadow- This enemy's attack damage actually increases throughout the fight as you deal with them. One of my characters didn't suffer much damage from one of their attacks, but the next one wiped out most of another characters HP.(I know there was that much of a difference in the two characters defense, they had similiar gear on)

Mr. Death- I rarely ran into this Shadow cousin. When I did, I wiped them out pretty quickly(they pop up one at a time)... Mainly because I've always wondered if they used occasional instant death attacks.

Desrona- This sword looking enemy has an instant death skill, my cousin was playing and one of them glowed and it missed... I then said: I wondered if that's an instant death skill... He runs into one shortly afterward and it does a glowing attack again, instantly killing one of his party members. Then he looked at me, I think he said: You just had to say something, didn't you? or something similiar.

Phantasy Star 3-

Gnasher- This is the only enemy that I actually fear in this game... because, no matter what, it will kill one of your characters in one hit. I found out on gamefaqs, I think, that they just made their attack extremely high... Whether it was intentional or not is unknown.

Phantasy Star 4-

Xe-A- Thoul- This is the one boss fight I really hate in the game, there are three of them and they have a combination attack. Fortunately, once you remove one(or two) of them, they can't use it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/24/08 at 10:00 pm

When I was a kid, I always found the final bosses on most platform games to be very frustrating. Bowser on all the 2D Mario games and Dr. Robotnik on Sonic 1 and 3 are the ones that stick out most.

Really, there's too many for me to list on the various RPG's I have played over the years. For some reason, Evrae on Final Fantasy X game me a huge problem the first time through the game. I had to train for hours just to win that battle.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/25/08 at 6:32 pm

When I was a kid, I always found the final bosses on most platform games to be very frustrating. Bowser on all the 2D Mario games and Dr. Robotnik on Sonic 1 and 3 are the ones that stick out most.

Really, there's too many for me to list on the various RPG's I have played over the years. For some reason, Evrae on Final Fantasy X game me a huge problem the first time through the game. I had to train for hours just to win that battle.

On my list, RPG wise... there is a pattern where part of them know some sort of instant death ability... very stressing.

Written By: Bobby on 03/27/08 at 9:39 pm

Those flying ghosts in the shipwreck area of level 2 on Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts made me feel that way. They came up out of nowhere and zoomed across the screen while I was working my way through the platforms - very difficult to deal with.

As for end of level baddies, probably anything from the game R-Type - how difficult was that game!?!

Written By: Step-chan on 03/29/08 at 1:34 pm

Those flying ghosts in the shipwreck area of level 2 on Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts made me feel that way. They came up out of nowhere and zoomed across the screen while I was working my way through the platforms - very difficult to deal with.

As for end of level baddies, probably anything from the game R-Type - how difficult was that game!?!

The Ghost 'n' Goblins and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series I was never any good at, you have to amazing skills to breeze through those games. :o

Written By: Bobby on 03/29/08 at 3:32 pm

The Ghost 'n' Goblins and Ghouls 'n' Ghosts series I was never any good at, you have to amazing skills to breeze through those games. :o

Those games were amazing (and addictively frustrating) for their time but you really had to keep your wits about you. I saw the speed-run walkthrough on Youtube for both and they require a steady nerve. It would be nice if Capcom (King of the Horror video game) could do a brand new 3D version of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for the next generation.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:19 pm

Ghosts N Goblins (and the sequel Ghouls N Ghosts) always used ot crack me up how the guy would be reduced to only his boxer shorts if he got hit.  It was a ridiculously difficult game.

'Ghosts N Goblins' was ported to the original NES and 'Ghouls N Ghosts' was ported to the Sega Genesis as well.  I loved the home versions more than the arcade ones because they were just as hard, and this way, I wasn't spending 75$ in quarters trying to beat them ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 03/29/08 at 7:02 pm

Those games were amazing (and addictively frustrating) for their time but you really had to keep your wits about you. I saw the speed-run walkthrough on Youtube for both and they require a steady nerve. It would be nice if Capcom (King of the Horror video game) could do a brand new 3D version of Ghouls 'n' Ghosts for the next generation.  8)

Yeah, I could never get past the second stage on the original though.

Ghosts N Goblins (and the sequel Ghouls N Ghosts) always used ot crack me up how the guy would be reduced to only his boxer shorts if he got hit.  It was a ridiculously difficult game.

'Ghosts N Goblins' was ported to the original NES and 'Ghouls N Ghosts' was ported to the Sega Genesis as well.  I loved the home versions more than the arcade ones because they were just as hard, and this way, I wasn't spending 75$ in quarters trying to beat them ;D

I know, you would figure that his armor could at least take more than one hit before losing it, 2 or 3 hits wouldn't be so bad.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 9:02 pm

Yeah, I could never get past the second stage on the original though.

I know, you would figure that his armor could at least take more than one hit before losing it, 2 or 3 hits wouldn't be so bad.

Super cheap armor.  One hit and it falls apart.  He must've bought it on a TV infomercial ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/30/08 at 4:03 am

Yeah, I always hated how even if you had the green or gold armor your guy would always have it knocked off with just one touch. It made the game way harder that way. Back when I was a kid, I couldn't even get past the second level most of the time ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 03/30/08 at 4:15 pm

Super cheap armor.  One hit and it falls apart.  He must've bought it on a TV infomercial ;D

Probably the case... :D

Yeah, I always hated how even if you had the green or gold armor your guy would always have it knocked off with just one touch. It made the game way harder that way. Back when I was a kid, I couldn't even get past the second level most of the time ;D

You'd figure that they would at least make each one add another hit for your guy.

Written By: Bobby on 03/30/08 at 4:37 pm

Arthur losing his armour was a nice touch.  ;D

Yes, and what make's matters worse is you have to play the whole game twice to beat both games!  :o

Written By: Bobby on 03/30/08 at 4:39 pm

I got to the third level on Ghosts 'n' Goblins, third level on Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and second level on Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (which is more difficult).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/01/08 at 11:23 am

I got to the third level on Ghosts 'n' Goblins, third level on Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and second level on Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (which is more difficult).

I was finally able to get to the third level on Super G&G some years ago, and I got so excited I forgot I actually still had to play the level ;D

I've yet to make it much further than that.

Written By: Bobby on 04/01/08 at 4:50 pm

I was finally able to get to the third level on Super G&G some years ago, and I got so excited I forgot I actually still had to play the level ;D

Ha ha.

You did very well to get that far, mach!ne_he@d.  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/01/08 at 5:56 pm

My character would be dead before that point.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 12:05 am

Quake had a lot of freaky sh*t.

There were these dog/wolf-like mutant creatures that would hop around and shoot these probe things out right at your crotch and I'd cringe every time that happened. I hated those bastards. I can only imagine how hard it would be in real life to aim a machine gun while some weird alien creature is munching on your balls.

Then again, you could run over, pick up a health pack, and your nuts would be as good as new.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/08 at 4:53 pm

Ow....  :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 7:23 pm

Ow....  :o

Actually now that I think about it, it was Quake 2.

There was a lot of freaky stuff in that game. There were scenes that were so gruesome that I'm glad the graphics weren't more advanced.

But it still was fun.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/08 at 10:00 pm

Actually now that I think about it, it was Quake 2.

There was a lot of freaky stuff in that game. There were scenes that were so gruesome that I'm glad the graphics weren't more advanced.

But it still was fun.

Was it a FPS?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/08 at 11:51 pm

Was it a FPS?

Yeah, one of the first games I had for my PC.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/14/08 at 7:01 pm

Yeah, one of the first games I had for my PC.

I've only played flash games on occasion.

FPS is one genre I've never played myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...