inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: fun videogame ideas!

Written By: Tia on 04/06/08 at 2:30 pm

based on my other, semi-comprehensible thread in this board, it occurred to me a video game simulating a political demonstration, where you can either play police or play demonstrators, would be just the kind of edgy, more-than-a-little-vaguely-offensive and yet topical thing that could be really a big seller right at the moment. you can set it in different countries and the more repressive the country the easier it is to play the police side, the more progressive the easier to play the protesters. easy games for newbies would be things like being a pro-drug-legalization protestor in scandinavia and then you could get progressively harder roles like being an organizer for a huge anti-war demonstration on the mall, controversial roles like being a pro-life demonstrator outside an abortion clinic, or a serbian policeman trying to suppress uprisings in the collapsing yugoslavia. if the game was a hit you could add modules for historical events like the bonus marchers, the suffragists, the anti-apartheid movement... i think a game like that could be really interesting!

my other idea was, is there a game where you simulate, not an actual railroad (like "train simulator") but a model railroad (like that game a few years ago where you played war with toy soldiers)? i think you could make a great game out of something like that, although it might be tricky to make it challenging. maybe if you did it so that you put together model railroad tracks and then submitted them for "model railroad shows" where your railroad got judged on efficiency, realism, aesthetics and stuff like that, the way roller coasters get judged on rollercoaster tycoon. the more contests you win, the more money you get to buy trinkets for better railroads. that could be a fun game, man?

anyway...

my question is, has anyone ever had a burning idea for a videogame that they think would be a lot of fun to play, and maybe are a little surprised doesn't already exist? because i'm sorta surprised the two ideas above haven't already been done. :P

Subject: Re: fun videogame ideas!

Written By: Step-chan on 04/06/08 at 6:17 pm

Interesting ideas, another good one would be a Presidental campaign and running the country sort of simulation.

I've had plenty of ideas for games since my teens, although I don't really know how good they would be... They mainly ranged from a Mega Man/Mario sidescroller sort of gameplay to the Zelda type of stuff to the RPG variety(which is inspired by Dragon Warrior/Quest, Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star).

I can tell some of my ideas later... Although they're not what I would call new game mechanics wise in most cases.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/06/08 at 6:57 pm

I'd like to see a satirical and cynical game version of Wal-Mart. It would be sort of like the McDonalds game here, except nastier and more realistic to represent Wal-Mart. You would start at store manager and work your way to the top.

You could overwork your employees, undercut everyone, watch the mom and pop businesses fold, even sue disabled ex employees for the benefits you paid them. Take trips to China to watch the slave child labor make your products, then jet over to Pattaya for the, ahem, exotic nightlife, all while writing off the expenses or passing them onto the customer. The game ends when you retire with a 500 million dollar package and stock options, get fired for lackluster sales, lose a sexual harassment suit or a disgruntled Wal-Mart employee goes postal at your 9am board meeting. . .

This, of course, is *just* a video game. I'm not surprised it hasn't been made.

I'd like to see a game like Celebrity Death match, but with cartoon characters instead of clay-mation people. Smurfette vs Gem, GI Joe vs Donatello (from TMNT), Tom vs Jerry, etc. There could be a parental switch that controls the violence, from none to mild blood to "I never knew someone could die like that". Each character would have its own special moves, and there would be hundreds of characters from which to choose. That has a much better chance of being made.

One more is an ultra realistic NHRA racing game, where you have to do everything from arrive at the track (and park the big rigs), unload, register, qualify, rebuild engines in a timed manner, the actual drag racing itself (with conditions that change with track, weather, even lane choice) post run computer analysis, and if you win (or wreck), post race interviews that could be recorded with a small mic. Trophies, trophy girls, screaming fans and maybe the big check or championchip.

Last one is any game that could simulate the effects of Curse of darKastle. That ride is so cool.

Tia, I really ike the "rally" game idea. Virtual model railroad would be neat as well.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/08 at 7:17 pm

I'd like to see a satirical and cynical game version of Wal-Mart. It would be sort of like the McDonalds game here, except nastier and more realistic to represent Wal-Mart. You would start at store manager and work your way to the top.

You could overwork your employees, undercut everyone, watch the mom and pop businesses fold, even sue disabled ex employees for the benefits you paid them. Take trips to China to watch the slave child labor make your products, then jet over to Pattaya for the, ahem, exotic nightlife, all while writing off the expenses or passing them onto the customer. The game ends when you retire with a 500 million dollar package and stock options, get fired for lackluster sales, lose a sexual harassment suit or a disgruntled Wal-Mart employee goes postal at your 9am board meeting. . .

Ant

That one would be next to impossible ;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/08 at 10:10 pm

based on my other, semi-comprehensible thread in this board, it occurred to me a video game simulating a political demonstration, where you can either play police or play demonstrators, would be just the kind of edgy, more-than-a-little-vaguely-offensive and yet topical thing that could be really a big seller right at the moment. you can set it in different countries and the more repressive the country the easier it is to play the police side, the more progressive the easier to play the protesters. easy games for newbies would be things like being a pro-drug-legalization protestor in scandinavia and then you could get progressively harder roles like being an organizer for a huge anti-war demonstration on the mall, controversial roles like being a pro-life demonstrator outside an abortion clinic, or a serbian policeman trying to suppress uprisings in the collapsing yugoslavia. if the game was a hit you could add modules for historical events like the bonus marchers, the suffragists, the anti-apartheid movement... i think a game like that could be really interesting!

my other idea was, is there a game where you simulate, not an actual railroad (like "train simulator") but a model railroad (like that game a few years ago where you played war with toy soldiers)? i think you could make a great game out of something like that, although it might be tricky to make it challenging. maybe if you did it so that you put together model railroad tracks and then submitted them for "model railroad shows" where your railroad got judged on efficiency, realism, aesthetics and stuff like that, the way roller coasters get judged on rollercoaster tycoon. the more contests you win, the more money you get to buy trinkets for better railroads. that could be a fun game, man?

anyway...

my question is, has anyone ever had a burning idea for a videogame that they think would be a lot of fun to play, and maybe are a little surprised doesn't already exist? because i'm sorta surprised the two ideas above haven't already been done. :P

I could see that but then I'd want it to be more comprehensive you know...if you on the protest side I want to see what else you can do like plan an attack on an ROTC bldg or a clinic and see if you can plan, execute and survive on the run for several years....

how about an interactive you've been incarcerated game... you plan a crime and you either get away with it or you get caught...ala grand theft auto... lets say a bank robbery... you have choice to plan it as a peaceful job or escalate the level of violence...someone is shot but doesnt die or many people die..... maybe you take hostages and then have to decide to kill them or let them go.... anyway you if you get away you win but if you get caught the game continues you are tried and convicted and sent to prison...no need to see the trial just give me a expostional scene of the judge on sentencing day... you've been on trial for two months and we've decided you get 5 years, or ten  or life or death..... then you go to prison and you have to survive prison on a daily basis... meaning you either beat the crap out of people and rule the roost or you get the crap beaten out of you and become a bitch...  then you plan an escape... this portion of the game will be about prison survival, executing an escape plan and evading the people trying to find you once you escape....

Yeah that now that sounds like a game.. it also sounds a bit like the plot of Prison Break....whatever It'd make one hell of a video game.

Written By: La Roche on 04/06/08 at 10:27 pm

Larry David - The Video Game.

Get involved in horrendously awkward situations and find ways to dig even deeper holes.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 04/06/08 at 10:31 pm

I like this part of your idea alot.  ;D (Man, I can be kinda evil and vindictive sometimes)

I'd like to see a game like Celebrity Death match, but with cartoon characters instead of clay-mation people. Smurfette vs Gem, GI Joe vs Donatello (from TMNT), Tom vs Jerry, etc. There could be a parental switch that controls the violence, from none to mild blood to "I never knew someone could die like that". Each character would have its own special moves, and there would be hundreds of characters from which to choose. That has a much better chance of being made.

Ant

My dream match of Rainbow Brite vs Strawberry Shortcake can be realized! Another interesting thing would be to have some other characters(who aren't fighting at that time) wonder through the ring(or whatever setting it takes place in) in the middle of the cross-fire of attacks... Example: Optimus Prime is fighting against a Robeast(from Voltron) and the Care Bears just aimlessly wonder into the center of fight and oops!... They get blown to bits!!!!

Written By: KKay on 04/07/08 at 7:10 am

I'd like to see one that images my life (surprise, surprise!)

You have to get up, exercise and run the dog at the park to maintain your energy...youc an eat, but you can only eat certain things; otherwise you lose power.  You have to dodge idiot co-workers cuz if you take home angst from work then you threaten your happiness quotient.  You need this number to be high in order to keep your vitual house from coming apart.  If you have damage done to your house, you have to get the money to fix it.  this means more work.  So, you have to go out and earn some more money points while maintaining all the other numbers.  In the mean time, there are things like sex, booze, music and, of course, inthe00s to distract you. If you spend too much time on these things you might fall behind in something else.

In the end the winner finds his/her way through the maze with a nice avacado and bean sprout sandwich on wholde grain extra fiber bread and some nice pinot noir on a cliff looking at the lovely NY mountain ranges with Bode.  With time for a nap and the drive back to do it again.

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/08 at 6:51 pm

I have this old Video Game joke book from 1983 and in it is a section for failed video game attempts.  This one still makes me laugh ...

Written By: Step-chan on 04/07/08 at 7:02 pm

I have this old Video Game joke book from 1983 and in it is a section for failed video game attempts.  This one still makes me laugh ...

Good one.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/08 at 12:38 pm

Here's a game idea that I came up with yesterday at work.

The Cheetahmen VS The Cheetah Girls

It's a side scroller game where you pick one of two sides: The Cheetahmen from Action 52 or The Cheetah Girls from the Disney series... Whichever side you pick has to go through 10 different areas with many crazy enemies and bosses, the final bosses are the characters that you didn't pick.

I forgot about the early game ideas I was going to mention, I will later tonight.

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/08 at 3:09 pm

The Step-Chan Video Game ...

Step-Chan must walk through a maze of big busted catgirls without getting turned on.  If he makes it through the maze successfully, awaiting at the end is Jewel, wearing nothing and lying on a bed :D

Written By: Red Ant on 04/15/08 at 3:18 pm

I'd like to see one that images my life (surprise, surprise!)

You have to get up, exercise and run the dog at the park to maintain your energy...youc an eat, but you can only eat certain things; otherwise you lose power.  You have to dodge idiot co-workers cuz if you take home angst from work then you threaten your happiness quotient.  You need this number to be high in order to keep your vitual house from coming apart.  If you have damage done to your house, you have to get the money to fix it.  this means more work.  So, you have to go out and earn some more money points while maintaining all the other numbers.  In the mean time, there are things like sex, booze, music and, of course, inthe00s to distract you. If you spend too much time on these things you might fall behind in something else.

In the end the winner finds his/her way through the maze with a nice avacado and bean sprout sandwich on wholde grain extra fiber bread and some nice pinot noir on a cliff looking at the lovely NY mountain ranges with Bode.  With time for a nap and the drive back to do it again.

lol. I like the "my life" video game idea.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/08 at 4:24 pm

The Step-Chan Video Game ...

Step-Chan must walk through a maze of big busted catgirls without getting turned on.  If he makes it through the maze successfully, awaiting at the end is Jewel, wearing nothing and lying on a bed :D

:D :D :D :D :D

Well, well, well....

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/08 at 10:26 pm

Here's some ideas I remember having(and in some instances wrote down, too bad I lost the papers of most of them) during my teens...

Cat Courage: Here was a game idea that was kinda like Zelda 2, playing as a anthropomorphic cat wielding a sword and shield... from what I can remember he learned different mystical type attacks that were required to use on different bosses... although that's all he learned, I didn't put any real variety into it. And yes, his name is based on the TG16 game "Keith Courage in the Alpha Zone". I don't remember anything else about it.

Gang Fighter RPG(Final Fantasy style): This one was based on the Final Fantasy game setup, but set in modern times(setting was in a school). More like the first Final Fantasy, you got to pick between 6 characters, but unlike Final Fantasy, you couldn't pick two or more of the same character(because these aren't RPG classes, but actual characters) the characters also got training midpoint, thus getting a class-like upgrade... I was also one of the characters in the game idea(My character statistically was only fair in stats early, after the upgrade... I became much better). Instead of spells, each of the characters had access to buyable items to use... from bombs to slingshots to dustballs(and that's not all).

Gang Fighter RPG(Dragon Warrior style): I've actually had multiple ideas in the RPG genre, this one was like the first Dragon Warrior, I was the only playable character in it. Instead of spells, I got extra items to use in battle... this one was also set in modern times.

Dragon Quest/Phantasy Star style wise, I've had at least several ideas for, some were even tied to some side-scroller style ideas I've had... Those I will try to remember later for this thread.

Calvin & Hobbes: I've had an idea for an RPG game about this comic(Dragon Quest/Phantasy style). You play as Calvin, Hobbes, Susie and a four character(I think she's a fairy named Maple or something like that, don't remember exactly).... The setting for the game actually takes place in a dream type of world(Susie actually sees Hobbes like Calvin normally does in the dream world), each of the characters would also have different skill sets that they could master... As for the story... it's alittle more like a Super Mario 2 theme(saving the dream world from destruction).

Written By: snozberries on 04/16/08 at 12:04 am

Calvin & Hobbes: I've had an idea for an RPG game about this comic(Dragon Quest/Phantasy style). You play as Calvin, Hobbes, Susie and a four character(I think she's a fairy named Maple or something like that, don't remember exactly).... The setting for the game actually takes place in a dream type of world(Susie actually sees Hobbes like Calvin normally does in the dream world), each of the characters would also have different skill sets that they could master... As for the story... it's alittle more like a Super Mario 2 theme(saving the dream world from destruction).

this sounds awesome! You could also have a Spaceman Spiff game. 
Side/bonus games could include sledding, riding a wagon down hill.... trying to get through door after a day of school without getting attacked by hobbes, a water balloon game and a snowball fight.

Written By: Tia on 04/16/08 at 4:11 pm

anybody ever play/remember an 80s videogame called "paperboy"? it was a barrel of fun. i never got too good at it but i played it all the time.

http://www.skytopia.com/games/arcade/big/paperboy.png

sorta akin to the idea of a sledding/riding down a hill game.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/08 at 4:58 pm

anybody ever play/remember an 80s videogame called "paperboy"? it was a barrel of fun. i never got too good at it but i played it all the time.

http://www.skytopia.com/games/arcade/big/paperboy.png

sorta akin to the idea of a sledding/riding down a hill game.

Paperboy was awesome.  I hated those breakdancers and the obstacles at the end

A winter version would be cool.  How about a James Bond style .. snowboarding down a hill or skiing down a bobsled track while guys with guns chase after you.  You can do tricks for points, and grab items on the way down to whip back at the gunners

Written By: Step-chan on 04/16/08 at 5:03 pm

this sounds awesome! You could also have a Spaceman Spiff game. 
Side/bonus games could include sledding, riding a wagon down hill.... trying to get through door after a day of school without getting attacked by hobbes, a water balloon game and a snowball fight.

Yeah, that's cool.

I did have a Spaceman Spiff game idea, it's was a platformer style game.

In the Calvin & Hobbes RPG idea, one of Calvin's skill categories is Guns(kinda like Spaceman Spiff).

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/08 at 10:40 pm

AMERICAN NINJA:  THE VIDEO GAME

In the style of 'Double Dragon', the player has the option of being either Joe Armstrong (Michael Dudikoff), Curtis Jackson (Steve James) or Sean Davidson (David Bradley), each one of course having a different special weapon and secret move

THE PLOT:  Bent on world domination, a deadly terrorist known only as "Mantis" has seized control of the White House.  With the President's life in danger, it's up to Armstrong, Jackson and Davidson to stop "Mantis" before he destroys the world

Written By: Step-chan on 04/17/08 at 3:12 pm

AMERICAN NINJA:  THE VIDEO GAME

In the style of 'Double Dragon', the player has the option of being either Joe Armstrong (Michael Dudikoff), Curtis Jackson (Steve James) or Sean Davidson (David Bradley), each one of course having a different special weapon and secret move

THE PLOT:  Bent on world domination, a deadly terrorist known only as "Mantis" has seized control of the White House.  With the President's life in danger, it's up to Armstrong, Jackson and Davidson to stop "Mantis" before he destroys the world

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

Written By: whistledog on 04/17/08 at 5:37 pm

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

Bad Dudes ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 04/17/08 at 5:42 pm

Bad Dudes ;D

Yep, I've seen a few parody pics of it too...

One that said:

The president's been rescued by the Bad Dude, are you a bad enough ninja to kidnapped the president?

There was also a Caturday one(let me know if you heard of Caturday).

Written By: Step-chan on 09/25/08 at 2:05 pm

I do have an idea for a beat em up, based off of the DJ Boy(which is like a roller derby style Double Dragon) arcade.

It would star 9 characters to choose from with 1 or 2 player mode.

It wouldn't be anything revolutionary in the gameplay department, but would have alot of jokes, memes, references and cameos in it.

The 9 playable characters would be members from this site.

I'll type alittle more later, but I've had this idea for about 2 weeks and have thought of some of the stuff that I would put in it.

Check for new replies or respond here...