inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Commodore 64: The Games

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/08 at 12:21 pm

Even though the Commodore 64 was a traditional home pc, it became known as more of a gaming device later in it's life span. I was given one around 1993 or so along with over 50 games, and for awhile I played it just as much as I did my Super Nintendo or Genesis, even though by that point it had been out for about a decade. A few of the games I had:

The Bards Tale
Three Stooges (Not the best but still fun)
Bionic Commando (The original arcade edition was alot of fun)
Boulder Dash
California Games

Some others I loved were World Cup '90, Emerald Mine, and the original Test Drive. My C64 tore up several years ago, but my absolute favorite before it did was Arkanoid:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Arkanoid.png

Yeah, it was a send up of the old "Breakout" games, but I played that game religiously for the better part of two years.

Anybody else have a C64? If so, what were some of your favorites?

Subject: Re: Commodore 64: The Games

Written By: nally on 07/09/08 at 12:23 pm

Never had a C64, but I have played Arkanoid (on a video arcade game, that is)...and it has been one of my all time favourites. What I liked about Arkanoid is the little capsules that came down; it would enable the user to do pretty much whatever..

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/08 at 3:08 pm

Never had a C64, but I have played Arkanoid (on a video arcade game, that is)...and it has been one of my all time favourites. What I liked about Arkanoid is the little capsules that came down; it would enable the user to do pretty much whatever..

Yeah, I loved the dynamic that the capsules created. It was like a game of chance for me, because alot of times I would go after the capsule, but the ball would go right past me before I could get back to it.

Even though it was a very simple game, there is actually alot of strategy involved especially in the later stages.

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/08 at 10:43 pm

I always hated the Arcade version of "Arkanoid".  The dial was too senstive; if you nudged it slowly, the user paddle would shoot to the other screen super fast.  1 quarter got me 50 seconds of game play, if that LOL.  I used to joke that they should just eliminate all that, so when I pop in my quarter and hit start, it's automatically Game Over ;D

I never had a Commodore 64, but I had a Commodore Vic-20.  It came out in 1982, so as you can bet, the games and graphics were that of stick men :D

Written By: wildcard on 07/13/08 at 1:59 am

Q-Bert, Flogger, Threshold, Barbie, Seahorse Hide and Seek, Mrs. Pac Man, And Hangman.  I use to spend time just changing the screen colors.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/15/08 at 11:29 pm

The C64 is the BESTEST console ever made!!

I use mine everyday,i play Mspacman,Donkey kong,etc :)

Written By: Wolveroses on 08/11/08 at 9:27 am

Supposely they have C64 games to DL on the Nintendo Wii VC.  Not in the US though, it kinda sucks.

Written By: Dude111 on 08/11/08 at 3:59 pm

I dont think i would wanna play them on that......

Screen size would be different,probably wouldnt play as well........

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/08 at 10:13 pm

Even though the Commodore 64 was a traditional home pc, it became known as more of a gaming device later in it's life span. I was given one around 1993 or so along with over 50 games, and for awhile I played it just as much as I did my Super Nintendo or Genesis, even though by that point it had been out for about a decade. A few of the games I had:

The Bards Tale
Three Stooges (Not the best but still fun)
Bionic Commando (The original arcade edition was alot of fun)
Boulder Dash
California Games

Some others I loved were World Cup '90, Emerald Mine, and the original Test Drive. My C64 tore up several years ago, but my absolute favorite before it did was Arkanoid:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a2/Arkanoid.png

Yeah, it was a send up of the old "Breakout" games, but I played that game religiously for the better part of two years.

Anybody else have a C64? If so, what were some of your favorites?

Arkanoid was basically a more advanced version of Breakout, and Breakout was loosely based upon Pong.  Breakout was introduced in 1976 and Arkanoid in 1986, and Arkanoid proved more popular with the falling capsules, that Breakout clones were spawned that were actually based upon Arkanoid.  My favourite clone was called 'Woody Pop' for the Sega Game Gear

http://www.mobygames.com/game/game-gear/woody-pop/screenshots

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 1:47 am

I had a game called Impossible Mission, but it either had no instructions or something, I never could figure out what to do but boy did I try!!

There was another one called Death on the Caribbean that was fun, sort of like a MUD.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/10 at 4:10 pm

I had a game called Impossible Mission, but it either had no instructions or something, I never could figure out what to do but boy did I try!!

Find a disk image (on the first page of google results), fire up your emulator, and play it through in one window, with the Impossible Mission Walkthrough in another.

C'mon.  The game came out in 1984.  It only took me 20 years to finish that game.  No reason for anybody else to take any longer than 26 years!  Make 2010 the year you finally finish Impossible Mission.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/10 at 9:04 pm

Find a disk image (on the first page of google results), fire up your emulator, and play it through in one window, with the Impossible Mission Walkthrough in another.

C'mon.  The game came out in 1984.  It only took me 20 years to finish that game.  No reason for anybody else to take any longer than 26 years!  Make 2010 the year you finally finish Impossible Mission.

That would be neat to do!!

Subject: Commodore 64: The Games

Written By: Dude111 on 10/27/17 at 12:32 am

A few of the games I had

Ya I had some I didnt AND STILL DONT understand,i dont know how to go frter than i have!!

1 is nightmare on elm street..... Im stuck on level 7 (Its saved so when i load it,it goes right to that spot)

Thats just one..... FUN but confusing games on C64!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...