inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Guitar Hero or Rock Band (for any system)

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/08 at 10:44 pm

I haven't tried either yet and was curious which is better....and why?

Also- anyone know if there is a list of songs for each game?

Subject: Re: Guitar Hero or Rock Band (for any system)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/28/08 at 1:17 am

Rock Band is a 2007 music video game developed by Harmonix Music Systems and distributed by MTV Games and Electronic Arts. The game is available for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Wii game consoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band#Main_setlist

Rock Band 2 is a 2008 music video game developed by Harmonix Music Systems and distributed by MTV Games and Electronic Arts. The game, a sequel to Rock Band, has been released for the Xbox 360, and will be released for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and Wii game consoles later this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band_2#Main_setlist

Guitar Hero is a music video game for the Sony PlayStation 2 developed by Harmonix Music Systems and released in 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Guitar_Hero#Main_setlist

Guitar Hero 2 (PS2) Also On:  360
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153382http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152522http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150362

Guitar Hero 3
http://www.guitarherogame.com/gh3/

Guitar Hero 4
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/leaked_guitar_hero_4_track_list.html

Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s in Europe), is a music video game developed by Harmonix and published by RedOctane and Activision in 2007 for the PlayStation 2 console.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Guitar_Hero_Encore:_Rocks_the_80s#Main_setlist

Haven't tried any of them.  I'd have to buy the system (at least one of them anyway).  (Some gamer I am!)  ;D

Apparently there are even more!
Here, just read this.  ;D http://guitarhero.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/08 at 3:29 am

;D

thanks for finding the lists of songs- I was too lazy to search for it myself  ;)

did I say lazy? I meant busy...at work.... with police calls.... honest!  ::)

Written By: Midas on 10/08/08 at 10:44 am

If you're going for just guitar playing, I prefer Guitar Hero to Rockband.  Rockband allows you to emulate playing drums and singing as well.  My sister's family has both.  If I decide to purchase one over the other I'm leaning towards GH.

Written By: snozberries on 10/08/08 at 11:32 am

If you're going for just guitar playing, I prefer Guitar Hero to Rockband.  Rockband allows you to emulate playing drums and singing as well.  My sister's family has both.  If I decide to purchase one over the other I'm leaning towards GH.

thanks! since I intend to play by myself it doesn't make sense to do the whole "band" option... unless I wanna play different parts at different times.  Is there a solo artist feature on band? Can I sing  ;D alone and get backed by computer? or do just guitar or drums?

Written By: Kryllith on 10/08/08 at 2:54 pm

I've everything (GH 1-3, 80s & Aerosmith, RB 1&2) aside from some downloadable content and Guitar Hero: World Tour. My suggestion is to go with Rock Band 1 (and/or 2) and/or GH:WT. Primarily the reasoning behind this is simply a matter of flexibility. You might want to examine individual set lists, and choose based on what songs you're most interested in playing, but why limit yourself to just lead/bass guitar when you can toss in vocals and drums. All of the games can be played either solo or in groups, though other than GH:WT, all the GH games are limited to 2 people max. Of course, Rock Band (and GH:WT) full sets are more expensive since you're paying for the drums and mic as well, since you've twice the instruments, you're getting twice the game. Also, if you make sure you get peripherals that work on multiple games (not all of them do), then you can just buy the software if you want to boost your song collection instead of having to buy the peripherals all over again.

One of the new features for GH:WT is the ability to create your own songs using mixing tools, so if you're interested in doing that you may want to wait until it's released later this month. In any case, I would suggested getting a non-PS2 version of the games if you've an Xbox 360 or a PS3 simply because you can get more songs for them through downloadable content. I don't know how well the PS3 fares against the 360 in this area, so you might want to research that as well. From what I understand, the Wii is really limited here, so you might want to skip its version as well (but don't just take my word for it, I could be wrong).

Written By: snozberries on 10/08/08 at 4:30 pm

I've everything (GH 1-3, 80s & Aerosmith, RB 1&2) aside from some downloadable content and Guitar Hero: World Tour. My suggestion is to go with Rock Band 1 (and/or 2) and/or GH:WT. Primarily the reasoning behind this is simply a matter of flexibility. You might want to examine individual set lists, and choose based on what songs you're most interested in playing, but why limit yourself to just lead/bass guitar when you can toss in vocals and drums. All of the games can be played either solo or in groups, though other than GH:WT, all the GH games are limited to 2 people max. Of course, Rock Band (and GH:WT) full sets are more expensive since you're paying for the drums and mic as well, since you've twice the instruments, you're getting twice the game. Also, if you make sure you get peripherals that work on multiple games (not all of them do), then you can just buy the software if you want to boost your song collection instead of having to by the peripherals all over again.

One of the new features for GH:WT is the ability to create your own songs using mixing tools, so if you're interested in doing that you may want to wait until it's released later this month. In any case, I would suggested getting a non-PS2 version of the games if you've an Xbox 360 or a PS3 simply because you can get more songs for them through downloadable content. I don't know how well the PS3 fares against the 360 in this area, so you might want to research that as well. From what I understand, the Wii is really limited here, so you might want to skip it's version as well (but don't just take my word for it; I could be wrong).

Thanks... with the data you & midas provided and the song lists bookmistress came up with I think I can safely start looking. Of course now I'm gonna have to wait until after christmas since I've decided to get a new cell phone instead.

Written By: whistledog on 10/10/08 at 9:25 pm

I often wonder if Guitar Hero and Rock Band differ in versions from country to country?

Europe has many popular rock bands that aren't successful this side of the Atlantic, and I would think some of the songs on Guitar Hero and Rock Band wouldn't be that well-known to those overseas

Written By: Stompgal on 09/16/09 at 12:12 pm

I voted for Guitar Hero. When I stayed at my family home last month, my sister borrowed her boyfriend's Nintendo Wii and his 'Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock,' GHWT' and 'Wii Play' games. I played both 'Guitar Hero' games and I liked World Tour best.

At my house there is a Nintendo Wii console in the dining room for all staff and residents to play on. While the rest of my housemates went to Spain, I had a go on 'Rock Band' (vocals and guitar) and I liked it, but not as much as the Guitar Hero games. I am considering buying 'GHWT' and 'Guitar Hero 5' for my PS2 soon.

Written By: snozberries on 09/16/09 at 1:15 pm

I got Guitar Hero at Costco last month for 29.99. I totally suck...

I want Beatles Rock Band but that's a bit much to pay to find out I suck at that too.... and... I am one person so how much fun can it be for me.  ???

Written By: Midas on 09/16/09 at 8:59 pm

Although I now have 3 versions of GH (Legends of Rock, Aerosmith & Metallica), Rockband has some cool features too.  I've done vocals over at my sister's place to songs by Jet and Sweet.

I can't decide.  They both rock! :D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 10/21/09 at 5:51 pm

It really depends on what instrument you use. If it's guitar, Guitar Hero for sure. If it's drums, I'd go with Rock Band. But if you want harder songs, go with Guitar Hero 2 and 3.

I often wonder if Guitar Hero and Rock Band differ in versions from country to country?

Europe has many popular rock bands that aren't successful this side of the Atlantic, and I would think some of the songs on Guitar Hero and Rock Band wouldn't be that well-known to those overseas

There are no versions of Guitar Hero outside of America to my knowledge, but a Japanese Rock Band will be out in both Japan and America. Not much about it is known, except there will be at least one song by the melodic metal band Japan X.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/09 at 5:41 pm

I wonder if you can rent a system somewhere to try it out before you invest in the whole thing.  I mean, I guess that's why you have friends and family (to try out their video game systems)  ;) :D ;D  But since I have nobody that owns one (nor do I really socialize other then trivia or pinball), I'm thinking about renting one at maybe somewhere that sells used video games (if they still do that.)  I'd love to try out the Beatles software (which I think is Rock Band), but then I'd be terribly embarrassed to have anybody hear me sing or play lousy guitar/drums. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/22/09 at 8:29 pm

I wonder if you can rent a system somewhere to try it out before you invest in the whole thing.  I mean, I guess that's why you have friends and family (to try out their video game systems)  ;) :D ;D  But since I have nobody that owns one (nor do I really socialize other then trivia or pinball), I'm thinking about renting one at maybe somewhere that sells used video games (if they still do that.)  I'd love to try out the Beatles software (which I think is Rock Band), but then I'd be terribly embarrassed to have anybody hear me sing or play lousy guitar/drums. 

I went to best buy at 10 am on a Tuesday morning...there was virtually no one in the store so it wasn't as embarassing to try it there as it would have been on a Sat at 2pm  ;D  I'm totally getting the Guitar Hero drum set- since I have a guitar hero game... I want Beatles Rock Band but just can't afford it this year. hmmmm maybe Kmart's layaway program will work to my advantage ......... just kidding- sort of.

Written By: Midas on 11/10/09 at 5:27 pm

My sister's PS3 is about fried.  We were playing GH-LOR and the song started skipping on one note but the notes kept coming.  We rocked the song but had to turn the system  :D

I might get DJ Hero for my future kidlets - let them work their magic on there before they mess with the real deal that daddy has 8) :D

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/10/09 at 8:08 pm

I really want to get my hands on "Rock Band:The Beatles".

Hey, I'm a die-hard fan of The Beatles (well I have them for my avatar and sig on here, but my avatar now is more a Holiday festive).

Written By: karen on 01/12/10 at 6:50 pm

The kids got Guitar Hero (dunno what version) for the Wii for Christmas.  We bought one extra guitar as well.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 7:15 pm

The kids got Guitar Hero (dunno what version) for the Wii for Christmas.  We bought one extra guitar as well.

awesome I finally got the drums for Xmas and hooked them up.. I kick ass... also downloaded some songs from the internet at 1.99 a pop.

They really need to get GH Journey or GH 80s because most of the songs they have are hard rock, alternative or metal.... none of these genres are my favs.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 7:36 pm

awesome I finally got the drums for Xmas and hooked them up.. I kick ass... also downloaded some songs from the internet at 1.99 a pop.

They really need to get GH Journey or GH 80s because most of the songs they have are hard rock, alternative or metal.... none of these genres are my favs.

There is a Guitar Hero 80s for PS2. As for Journey, "Any Way You Want It" is in one of the DS Guitar Heroes.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 8:06 pm

There is a Guitar Hero 80s for PS2. As for Journey, "Any Way You Want It" is in one of the DS Guitar Heroes.

yeah but I meant for the PS3 sorry I wasn't clear  and I don't have DS  :(

guess I should check and see if my PS3 is the version that plays PS2 games....apparently one version of PS3 does not play PS2.....with my luck!  ::)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 8:10 pm

yeah but I meant for the PS3 sorry I wasn't clear  and I don't have DS  :(

guess I should check and see if my PS3 is the version that plays PS2 games....apparently one version of PS3 does not play PS2.....with my luck!  ::)

Is your PS3 an older model? If so, it should play PS2. If not, PS2s are pretty cheap now.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 8:18 pm

Is your PS3 an older model? If so, it should play PS2. If not, PS2s are pretty cheap now.

truth is I still have my PS2 but its hooked up in a different room and the thought of lugging either the system to the components or the components to the system seems like more trouble than its worth.... yeah I think I have the first version of PS3

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 8:20 pm

truth is I still have my PS2 but its hooked up in a different room and the thought of lugging either the system to the components or the components to the system seems like more trouble than its worth.... yeah I think I have the first version of PS3

It should work then! And the 80s Guitar Hero has been out for a while, so it should be pretty cheap.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 8:21 pm

It should work then! And the 80s Guitar Hero has been out for a while, so it should be pretty cheap.

awesome!!! and karma to you for being the bearer of good news!!!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 8:23 pm

awesome!!! and karma to you for being the bearer of good news!!!

Thank you! I can really help when it comes to gaming and tech/nerd stuff.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/13/10 at 5:18 pm

Guitar Hero is a lot more difficult than Rock Band.  So of course I like Rock Band better.   ;D  Plus I LOVE Beatles Rock Band.

The new game Band Hero from Guitar Hero is freaking AWESOME though.  It has way more poppy songs, and stuff like The Jackson 5, Duran Duran, David Bowie and even Marvin Gaye.  It is by far my favorite.  

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:24 pm

Guitar Hero is a lot more difficult than Rock Band.  So of course I like Rock Band better.   ;D  Plus I LOVE Beatles Rock Band.

The new game Band Hero from Guitar Hero is freaking AWESOME though.  It has way more poppy songs, and stuff like The Jackson 5, Duran Duran, David Bowie and even Marvin Gaye.  It is by far my favorite.  

there's an idea!!! I should look into that... and I totally want the beatles Rock Band but where am I supposed to stash all the components between the three games  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:25 pm

Thank you! I can really help when it comes to gaming and tech/nerd stuff.

okay so maybe you know the answer to this for I haven't had time to research it myself....

I purchased a few songs online via my PS3 but didn't download three of them right away... is there someway to go back and find the option to download the games after the fact?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/13/10 at 5:38 pm

okay so maybe you know the answer to this for I haven't had time to research it myself....

I purchased a few songs online via my PS3 but didn't download three of them right away... is there someway to go back and find the option to download the games after the fact?

Sorry, I've never connected my PS3 to the net due to having crappy dial-up. Very sorry. I'm sure there's a way, you might be able to go to GameFAQs and find it under Q&A. That's the most I can tell you.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:46 pm

Sorry, I've never connected my PS3 to the net due to having crappy dial-up. Very sorry. I'm sure there's a way, you might be able to go to GameFAQs and find it under Q&A. That's the most I can tell you.

oh well it was worth a try.

Written By: karen on 01/13/10 at 6:13 pm

Not sure if this helps

"If you do ever need to download a title again (perhaps because you've deleted it for whatever reason), you can download it again (for free) using the Downloads icon in the top right of the Store or the under the PlayStation® Network icon when you start up your PS3 (it's > > > )."

Taken from playstation messageboard query

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 6:28 pm

Not sure if this helps

"If you do ever need to download a title again (perhaps because you've deleted it for whatever reason), you can download it again (for free) using the Downloads icon in the top right of the Store or the under the PlayStation® Network icon when you start up your PS3 (it's > > > )."

thanks karen I will try that.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 2:57 pm

Not sure if this helps

totally worked karen!!! thanks!!! karma!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/10 at 9:28 pm

I now own GH3: Legends of Rock and GH5 for 360. 

The Guitar came with GH5, but the game itself was scratched and wouldn't read in the system, so I gotta take it back.  It was the last one the store had, so I hope they can just give me a replacement GH5 game as the guitar works fine.

I suck at GH3.  On Medium, the only one I got above 90% on (on the initial 8 or so songs when you first start playing) was 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot', which was good because I'd hate to ruin a great Canadian classic with my terrible guitar playing LOL

It's quite difficult to hit that blue button.  I am dreading the harder levels when the 5th one comes into play :o

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/10 at 3:20 am

I now own GH3: Legends of Rock and GH5 for 360. 

The Guitar came with GH5, but the game itself was scratched and wouldn't read in the system, so I gotta take it back.  It was the last one the store had, so I hope they can just give me a replacement GH5 game as the guitar works fine.

I suck at GH3.  On Medium, the only one I got above 90% on (on the initial 8 or so songs when you first start playing) was 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot', which was good because I'd hate to ruin a great Canadian classic with my terrible guitar playing LOL

It's quite difficult to hit that blue button.  I am dreading the harder levels when the 5th one comes into play :o

Yeah I suck too... I forget what level I got up to when I played.. I know Slash killed me in the guitar battle portion of the Career mode... I think I stopped pllaying around getting to the UK because I no longer recognized any songs I was being given to play and I just couldn't find the energy to do the songs over.

I have gamefly and I got Legends of Rock (I'm trying out all the GH games before buying any additional versions) I may play that tomorrow.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/28/10 at 8:48 am

Yeah I suck too... I forget what level I got up to when I played.. I know Slash killed me in the guitar battle portion of the Career mode... I think I stopped pllaying around getting to the UK because I no longer recognized any songs I was being given to play and I just couldn't find the energy to do the songs over.

I have gamefly and I got Legends of Rock (I'm trying out all the GH games before buying any additional versions) I may play that tomorrow.

Slash is tough, but wait 'til you get to the last boss guitar battle! I'm not gonna spoil anything.

Written By: snozberries on 02/28/10 at 6:10 pm

Slash is tough, but wait 'til you get to the last boss guitar battle! I'm not gonna spoil anything.

might as well spoil it... I gave up! I didn't know/like the remaining songs so I lost interest and sent the game back.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 03/01/10 at 4:38 pm

might as well spoil it... I gave up! I didn't know/like the remaining songs so I lost interest and sent the game back.

The final boss is.... the Devil! And the song is a heavy metal version of... you guessed it... The Devil Went Down To Georgia!

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/10 at 2:26 am

The final boss is.... the Devil! And the song is a heavy metal version of... you guessed it... The Devil Went Down To Georgia!

Oh that would've been cool but my skills just aren't there I'd never make it that far.

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 10:12 pm

I am loving GH Van Halen.  I can now do pretty good on Medium, but I don't know if I will ever master Expert.  Maybe in about 2 or 50 years ;D

Written By: nupur on 03/10/10 at 10:45 pm

I am totally obsessed with Guitar Hero. I finally got World Tour in the summer of '09 for my bday (it was relatively cheap because it was about a month before GH5 came out). I had played a handful of times on my friends' systems but wasn't really that good at it. Anyways, since I was pathetically unemployed and had no life outside of my house this past summer, GH took up a lot of my time. I'm pretty good at it now, if I do say so myself! I can get through all the songs on hard, and the majority of the songs on the expert level. The only problem is, the Xbox belongs to my brother, so I can't bring it to my dorm with me. Therefore, I'm stuck waiting 6-7 weeks at a time until I can play the game again :(. Spring break is in 2 days, though, and I'm mentally preparing myself for the records that I'm about to break  :D.

My favorite songs to play are:
"Do It Again" by Steely Dan
"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Beautiful Disaster" by 311
"Feel the Pain" by Dinosaur Jr.
"Monsoon" by Tokio Hotel

I really need to get GH5, though, because I'm starting to tire of these songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...