inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arcade update - topic split.

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 3:42 pm

I thought it was a flash problem - so I updated my flash player, and still nothing happened. It is now gone. (Sorry Henk) ;)

That's not the only Top score I lost.

WTF happened to Bloody Pingu?   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Everyone knows I had top score on that game...and now it shows Gibbo as #1. I'm NOT pleased, to say the least. >:(

Subject: Re: Arcade update - topic split.

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 3:47 pm

Everyone knows I had top score on that game...and now it shows Gibbo as #1. I'm NOT pleased, to say the least. >:(

did you have it as you or as Faulty Dog? 

Written By: Tam on 01/25/09 at 3:49 pm

Nothing should have happened to it. It hasn't been touched Henk...  :-\\

I seem to remember that a guest held the top spot - was that you?

I have checked a few of the games, to see how they would run if we had it set to only record one score per member, but it still left all of the scores intact until a member plays it again, then it takes all of their scores out except for their top one. But I can assure you that I did nothing to Bloody Pingu.

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 3:52 pm

I have checked a few of the games, to see how they would run if we had it set to only record one score per member, but it still left all of the scores intact until a member plays it again, then it takes all of their scores out except for their top one. But I can assure you that I did nothing to Bloody Pingu.

I think he might have had it as a "guest" but got it back when he was Faulty Dog....sorry Henk...but hey maybe you can knock gibbo out!  He needs to be taken out anyway!  ;D

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 3:54 pm

did you have it as you or as Faulty Dog? 

I held it under my previous account, which I deleted, thus I was shown as "Guest"

Indeed. I held it under my previous account - the one that I deleted (something I still regret).

Well, my top score has gone anyway. Thanks a lot.

I think he might have had it as a "guest" but got it back when he was Faulty Dog....sorry Henk...but hey maybe you can knock gibbo out!  He needs to be taken out anyway!  ;D

Impossible, I think. I was extremely lucky to achieve 1290 in the first place.

Written By: Tam on 01/25/09 at 3:57 pm

Well, my top score has gone anyway. Thanks a lot.

Impossible, I think. I was extremely lucky to achieve 1290 in the first place.

Erm... like I said Henk - I didn't touch Bloody Pingu. I tried the settings on the 100 meter dash game and one other one - but I didn't touch BLOODY PINGU.

Written By: karen on 01/25/09 at 3:59 pm

It also doesn't now say that Guest has been the champion of whatever game it was for far too long

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 4:01 pm

Erm... like I said Henk - I didn't touch Bloody Pingu. I tried the settings on the 100 meter dash game and one other one - but I didn't touch BLOODY PINGU.

If it wasn't you, then who did? ??? Somebody must've been messing with it.

It also doesn't now say that Guest has been the champion of whatever game it was for far too long

That's how I found out something had happened.

Written By: Tam on 01/25/09 at 4:39 pm

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I made note of it on our Moderation board - so I will post it here for all to see as well.

I was playing Slingo Paradice today, and went to submit my score and this is the message I received:

Database Error
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '
endTime = 1232905177, gameDuration = 1232905177, memberIp = '**.**.***.*',' at line 3
File: /home/inthe00s/public_html/Sources/Subs-Arcade.php
Line: 711

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.7, while your database is at version 1.1. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Now this may or may not have had an effect this particular game - however, when I look at the high scores for it - there aren't any guest scores on the first page.

Henk - I am really sorry that your score is no longer there. But you know what? Even if we went in of our own accord and cleaned out all of the guest scores, it would have been erased anyway. That account doesn't exist anymore, and not to discount your feelings, but I had no freakin' clue it was your score. Most of the guest scores mean nothing to me because they used to have accounts but either deleted or where banned. Seriously, if I could give it back to you I would.

I never realized how much people follow their scores, I guess I am pretty naive huh?

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 4:46 pm

I never realized how much people follow their scores, I guess I am pretty naive huh?

Where have you been? Ninny and I have this fight everytime she steals er takes one of my trophies

Written By: Henk on 01/25/09 at 5:02 pm

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I made note of it on our Moderation board - so I will post it here for all to see as well.

I was playing Slingo Paradice today, and went to submit my score and this is the message I received:

Database Error
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '
endTime = 1232905177, gameDuration = 1232905177, memberIp = '**.**.***.*',' at line 3
File: /home/inthe00s/public_html/Sources/Subs-Arcade.php
Line: 711

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.7, while your database is at version 1.1. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Now this may or may not have had an effect this particular game - however, when I look at the high scores for it - there aren't any guest scores on the first page.

Gee, I don't know... I ain't no computer wiz.

Henk - I am really sorry that your score is no longer there. But you know what? Even if we went in of our own accord and cleaned out all of the guest scores, it would have been erased anyway. That account doesn't exist anymore, and not to discount your feelings, but I had no freakin' clue it was your score. Most of the guest scores mean nothing to me because they used to have accounts but either deleted or where banned. Seriously, if I could give it back to you I would.

I know you would. :) And I quite understand you don't keep track of the Guest scores.

Well, I'm not holding much Top Scores anymore, so I'd like to hold on to the few I still have.
That, plus the fact that I was holding the Bloody Pingu trophy for years.

Written By: Tam on 01/25/09 at 5:06 pm

Gee, I don't know... I ain't no computer wiz.

I know you would. :) And I quite understand you don't keep track of the Guest scores.

Well, I'm not holding much Top Scores anymore, so I'd like to hold on to the few I still have.
That, plus the fact that I was holding the Bloody Pingu trophy for years.

Well, her is something interesting.... if we have to upgrade the smf for the arcade - we might actually get ot figure out what games are working and what games aren't - ie. the slow load of the main arcade page. Might even in the end have to reload the games, which would mean that people would have to start out with clean slates again... interesting, no?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/25/09 at 8:00 pm

Henk, I think we *may* be able to get your high score back - I've been checking smf arcade, and scores can be manually entered, at least in one version of the arcade (there are several now). It involves SQL code, and I'm not familiar with it, nor do we have access to those files anyway (it's a Chucky-only fix). We know you have the 1290 high score, so if the time and ability comes that we can enter it, we will.

I'm with Tam - I'd like to have an arcade that works. Right now it's broken: I can't access games by page rank; can only see page one. I've got limited ability to fix certain issues with certain games, but unfortunately I can't get the pages to load at a decent rate - it often takes 20 seconds to load one, even on a 15Mb cable connection. I did check to make sure guests weren't bogging it down - they aren't: guests can only see the arcade link; they can't play any games.

signature banned as well

Written By: nally on 01/25/09 at 10:16 pm

Arcade is broke right now? I figured it might've been having problems again with it on Friday; at that time, I too noticed that Henk's old account was no longer the champion on Bloody Pingu. I then got to wondering if any old "guest" scores had been taken out...and it appeared that only the top ones on that game had gone bye bye for some unknown reason.

I'd been trying to unseat that Bloody Pingu score, too...but have had no luck.

Written By: snozberries on 01/25/09 at 10:19 pm

Henk, I think we *may* be able to get your high score back - I've been checking smf arcade, and scores can be manually entered, at least in one version of the arcade (there are several now). It involves SQL code, and I'm not familiar with it, nor do we have access to those files anyway (it's a Chucky-only fix). We know you have the 1290 high score, so if the time and ability comes that we can enter it, we will.

I'm with Tam - I'd like to have an arcade that works. Right now it's broken: I can't access games by page rank; can only see page one. I've got limited ability to fix certain issues with certain games, but unfortunately I can't get the pages to load at a decent rate - it often takes 20 seconds to load one, even on a 15Mb cable connection. I did check to make sure guests weren't bogging it down - they aren't: guests can only see the arcade link; they can't play any games.

signature banned as well

*ahem* can you give me back my high scores in a couple of games too? Somehow they um... were deleted too... ;)

;D

Written By: Red Ant on 01/26/09 at 4:35 pm

*ahem* can you give me back my high scores in a couple of games too? Somehow they um... were deleted too... ;)

;D

lol

Since we can't fix the slow loading time per page, we put all of the games on one page - one load, then you're in. Please let me know if anyone has any problems with this set-up. I got all 687 games to load in 14 seconds, which is about the same as it was with 25 games per page.

signature banned as well

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 5:37 pm

And to go along with ^ - we are also cleaning out games that top out at high score, thus creating pages upon pages of the same score by different winners.

And I am cleaning out guest scores now too.

can we get new games? There two games we need!

Which ones?

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 5:55 pm

Simon is gone because it is cheatable.

Fla Jong is gone because it tops out at 144 no matter your time.

Typing Master is gone because it hasn't been played in well over a year.

Freecell is gone because it also tops out at 260 with no time allowance.

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 8:30 pm

Jack and I worked for quite a few hours tonight on the arcade and so here are a few more updates for you.

All of the games where the Champion was held by "Guest" have all been reverted back to the last member with the highest score. We are working on getting the guest scores removed from ALL games. (Congratulations to those who now have more trophies because of this!)

We have started changing the games where you can only submit your highest score - that way the database isn't bogged down with 20+ pages of scores. It will only record your highest score now. But you can still play the games no matter what.

Along with the 4 games listed above, another 4 games have been removed because they are cheatable:

Galaxians
Diamond Chaser
Football Header
Railway Line

Some of these games as well haven't been played in over or close to a year.

Jack also changed it so that all of the games in the arcade come up on one page. The load time for it is anywhere between 15 and 20 seconds, as opposed to having to go into the arcade and then wait that long for each page you click to load, in order to get to certain games. We apologize to those who may still be on dial-up. This may actually take longer for you - however, opening the game you want to play in a new tab or page, will eliminate having to wait for the arcade to load every single time.

We are also looking at removing games that have not been played in a really long time - in order to make room for new games.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/09 at 8:36 pm

awww I liked railway line....wait how was it cheatable... damn I've been doing it wrong all this time!  >:(

Written By: Tam on 01/26/09 at 8:46 pm

awww I liked railway line....wait how was it cheatable... damn I've been doing it wrong all this time!  >:(

I don't know exactly - ask whistledog ;)

He told me of more cheatable games, but some of them are fun whether you win or not so we left them. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/09 at 8:59 pm

shoot jas! hook me up!  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 01/26/09 at 9:24 pm

you make a loop of tracks and let the train run all day. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/09 at 9:25 pm

aw man!

Written By: nally on 01/26/09 at 10:14 pm

I liked it too! It was quite a fun game.

That's what was cheatable about it.

Written By: snozberries on 01/26/09 at 11:24 pm

I liked it too! It was quite a fun game.

That's what was cheatable about it.

I didn't know that it was cheatable until today  >:(  I missed the fun!

Written By: nally on 01/26/09 at 11:58 pm

I didn't know that it was cheatable until today  >:(  I missed the fun!

I discovered the game last summer (I think).

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 12:44 am

I discovered the game last summer (I think).

oh I found the game....played it alot too. but I didn't know about the cheat.  Cheating was the fun I missed...

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 9:52 am

Diamond Chaser wasn't really a cheat, but a trick within the game that sucked all the fun out of it:  All you had to do was position your ship at the top, just slightly off the screen, and just randomly shoot in all directions.  You would kill more enemies than you would lose energy, so you could sit there all day racking up points, and never die

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 10:25 am

I was just playing Flysui, and something is different about it.  Last time I played it, you used to get like around 5 minutes of play.  Just played it now, and the game went out of time in less than a minute.  Perhaps the makers of that game condensed the time.  I am not happy.  I always wanted to try and beat my 86.  Guess that won't ever happen now :(

Written By: Tam on 01/27/09 at 11:12 am

I was just playing Flysui, and something is different about it.  Last time I played it, you used to get like around 5 minutes of play.  Just played it now, and the game went out of time in less than a minute.  Perhaps the makers of that game condensed the time.  I am not happy.  I always wanted to try and beat my 86.  Guess that won't ever happen now :(

Hmm... they can do whatever they like to the game but they can't touch ours. It is on our server, not linked anywhere else so it still should have been the same as it was before. That is bizarre

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 1:34 pm

shoot I can't catch one fly  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/09 at 2:05 pm

Hmm... they can do whatever they like to the game but they can't touch ours. It is on our server, not linked anywhere else so it still should have been the same as it was before. That is bizarre

The timer in the game doesn't show, so at first I thought maybe you get additional time added with each fly you catch, but it's unlikely.  Oh well, I guess I will be the retired champion of that game lol

shoot I can't catch one fly  >:(

"Miyagi very disappointed in Q-san.  Work on wax on wax off skill, perhaps better catch fly"

http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/miyagi.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/09 at 3:51 pm

The timer in the game doesn't show, so at first I thought maybe you get additional time added with each fly you catch, but it's unlikely.  Oh well, I guess I will be the retired champion of that game lol

"Miyagi very disappointed in Q-san.  Work on wax on wax off skill, perhaps better catch fly"

http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/miyagi.jpg

Why, Miyagi never caught a fly with chop sticks either... so I figure I'm in good company  :P

Written By: nally on 01/28/09 at 1:07 pm

Something is seriously wrong with this picture...

I was just playing "Flash Blocks" (a game like Tetris), and I just got a notification saying I was stripped of my crown, so I went back to play it. And when I saw the high scores leaderboard, the scores listed were out of order. Here's what the top 7 looked like (I'm bolding the scores):

1 Little_devil_rider January 27, 2009, 10:30:47 AM 22 yea i dont no how i got 1st?
2 nally March 10, 2008, 11:38:37 AM 117460 Who'da thunk it?!  Edit 
3 wildcard March 11, 2008, 09:00:22 PM 35880 No comment
4 wildcard August 28, 2007, 04:11:51 PM 21640 No comment
5 wildcard March 10, 2008, 05:07:06 PM 19500 No comment
6 Philip Eno Today at 10:58:03 AM 246 No comment
7 wildcard March 10, 2008, 09:40:33 PM 15380 No comment

Clearly I should still be on top because 114760 is the highest of all those scores. Furthermore, I don't think a score of 22 or 246 is theoretically possible on that game.

Also, it wouldn't register the score I just got (56900), probably because I've achieved a higher score on the game. But the message had a completely different wording:
Score were not saved because you already have maximum number of scores

What the (blank) does that mean?? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 1:10 pm

I was just playing "Flash Blocks" (a game like Tetris), and I just got a notification saying I was stripped of my crown, so I went back to play it. And when I saw the high scores leaderboard, the scores listed were out of order. Here's what the top 7 looked like (I'm bolding the scores):

1 Little_devil_rider January 27, 2009, 10:30:47 AM 22 yea i dont no how i got 1st?
2 nally March 10, 2008, 11:38:37 AM 117460 Who'da thunk it?!   Edit 

Clearly I should still be on top because 114760 is the highest of all those scores. Furthermore, I don't think a score of 22 or 246 is theoretically possible on that game.

Also, it wouldn't register the score I just got (56900), probably because I've achieved a higher score on the game. But the message had a completely different wording:

I made 246 with no trouble at all, but how did I get 6th place?

Written By: nally on 01/28/09 at 1:11 pm

I made 246 with no trouble at all, but how did I get 6th place?

That's what I'm trying to figure out!

How did you get 246? that's not a multiple of 20.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 1:13 pm

That's what I'm trying to figure out!

How did you get 246? that's not a multiple of 20.
For a start I could not rotate the block because I am on the laptop.

I am going to give another go.

Written By: nally on 01/28/09 at 1:14 pm

For a start I could not rotate the block because I am on the laptop.

I am going to give another go.

Well, aren't you supposed to use the arrow keys to rotate the block?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 1:21 pm

Well, aren't you supposed to use the arrow keys to rotate the block?
I can only move them left or right.

Now after playing another game of this my 6th place has changed to 240?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 1:24 pm

2 nally March 10, 2008, 11:38:37 AM 117460 Who'da thunk it?!   Edit 

Now after a third game I find myself with 0 points and I hold first place ?

Written By: nally on 01/28/09 at 1:34 pm

I can only move them left or right.

Now after playing another game of this my 6th place has changed to 240?

It still doesn't make any sense!

Tam, where are you when we need you?

Written By: wildcard on 01/28/09 at 1:46 pm

Thats what it said for me on Woopass. 

Written By: wildcard on 01/28/09 at 1:56 pm

There's only one me on Flash Blocks now, but the order of the scoring is still messed up

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 2:04 pm

There's only one me on Flash Blocks now, but the order of the scoring is still messed up

The last game I played was not saved, I had about 1,000 points.

Written By: Tam on 01/28/09 at 2:21 pm

I am looking at and working on Flash Blox right now. ;)

It will not save your score unless you get a higher score than the one already listed in the highscores.
That is how the scoring works now, in order to cut down on the number of pages there were in the database.
All games register 1 score per member, and unless you get higher than the one listed, it won't save your score.

Written By: Tam on 01/28/09 at 2:22 pm

Flash Blox scores are correct now. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 2:23 pm

Flash Blox scores are correct now. 8)
Thanks, am I still top?

Written By: Tam on 01/28/09 at 2:25 pm

Thanks, am I still top?

I think it has nally as 1st place.... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/09 at 2:26 pm

As it should be.

Written By: nally on 01/28/09 at 2:29 pm

Good; I don't think anybody had a higher score than 117460 at the moment. I wondered why it displayed two much lower scores out of order in the first place?? That was bizarre

Written By: Tam on 03/25/09 at 11:31 am

Removing Flysui now.
I played it and it only gives you around 30 seconds. Impossible. I don't know what happened to it either.
Sorry for your championship loss Jas. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...