inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone else listen to different types of music while playing a game?

Written By: Step-chan on 04/27/09 at 4:34 pm

Whether you're playing a game where you sometimes experience level abit or build up your resources, or just don't like the original music in the game you're playing?(Any reason is fine)

What are some of your favorites and most recommended ones?

Subject: Re: Does anyone else listen to different types of music while playing a game?

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/09 at 5:03 pm

some games I play like Dactyl and Target tap on the iphone or Copter online don't have music so I find music that has a beat to help me keep a pattern going... usually R&B like TLC or Nelly or something... but for standard video games- I use the music provided... oh and the games on the board arcarde... I always play my own music.

Subject: Re: Does anyone else listen to different types of music while playing a game?

Written By: Step-chan on 04/27/09 at 5:38 pm

Since I play RPGs alot, I usually do it when I'm leveling or collecting items/treasures.

The primary game that I listen to different music on is Pokemon Pearl. The actual music in the game isn't bad by any means, it just doesn't grab my attention like some other RPGs do. When I'm going from point A to point B in the game, it's fine. When I'm leveling on the side, building up money or collecting stuff underground, it's nice to listen to something different that isn't from the game.

The funny thing is, I listen to music from other video games(from a site I go to) when doing side stuff on Pokemon Pearl.

Some of my favorites to listen to:(Listed by the name I seen)

Battle 2(Chrono Trigger)

Sky World(Kid Icarus)

Festival in space(Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius)

Overworld Battle(Paladin's Quest)

Haunted Shrine(Pocky & Rocky)

Pollyanna(Mother 1/Earthbound Zero, this game was localized but unreleased. It's only available by emulation)

Boss Theme(River City Ransom)

Various Mega Man and Mega Man X themes.

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/09 at 6:20 pm

'Neutopia' and 'Neutopia II' for the Turbo Grafx-16.  Zelda type RPGs that had some of the best music I ever heard in a video game.  One of the reasons why they are still my all-time favourite console RPGs.  I'm still a little sad there was no Neutopia III as the 2nd game had hinted at.  The system folded before a 3rd one could be made

Written By: snozberries on 04/27/09 at 6:20 pm

That's a good point. I love the music in the Gta games but sometimes if I'm not on a mission or I need a little stress relief and I decide to go on a rampage or two. Then yah, I'll jet put my iPod on shuffle and listen to that.

Tho I have to admit- rockin' tv violent femmes or eminem during the rampages can be quite cathartic.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/09 at 6:47 pm

Sometimes you don't have to do that.  Alot of EA Sports games for PC have a feature where you can put your mp3s into the game.  I thought that was so cool when I found that out.

The stadium music is replaced with clips of whatever song you want.  I had 'Bette Davis Eyes' playing in between periods on NHL 03 LOL

Written By: Step-chan on 05/05/09 at 11:30 am

That's a good point. I love the music in the Gta games but sometimes if I'm not on a mission or I need a little stress relief and I decide to go on a rampage or two. Then yah, I'll jet put my iPod on shuffle and listen to that.

Tho I have to admit- rockin' tv violent femmes or eminem during the rampages can be quite cathartic.  ;)

I remember watching my cousin playing GTA, never got the urge to play it myself.

There are some game musical scores I wish that site had, primarily a couple from Mega Man 6, Dragon Quest 3 and 4 and Ducktales.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 05/07/09 at 12:25 am

Unless I'm playing "Karaoke Revolution", "Dance Dance Revolution" or a game where the sound is essential, always

Written By: Step-chan on 05/08/09 at 10:19 pm

I know on the Dragon Quest games I usually don't. Unless I'm doing something like Torneko's get rich in Chapter 3 plan.

Written By: Stompgal on 09/16/09 at 12:05 pm

When I play games such as 'Crash of the Titans' or 'The Simpsons Game' on my PSP, I have the music volume on both games muted so that I can listen to my favourite radio station BBC Radio 1 while I play.

Check for new replies or respond here...