inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of the Console Wars

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/09 at 12:07 am

XBox 360
Nintendo Wii
Sony Playstation 3

Which one is your favourite?

I recently got myself a PS3 because it does everything I want out of a game system.  I chose it mostly for the Blu-Ray technology.

I didn't want an XBox 360 because they support HD DVD, and we all know how they turned out LOL

I don't like the Wii because of several reasons:
♦ Wireless controls run on batteries, and the fact they are wireless, alot of the games are alot of work
♦ The graphics on some of the games are really bad (the characters on alot of the games look like weebles)
♦ Alot of the games are more focused towards the younger crowd
♦ It's a game only system, and cannot play DVDs or Blu-Ray Discs

Since getting my PS3, I bought 19 games for it, the Blu-Ray remote control and the Guncon for use with Time Crisis 4 (among other games, which I don't have yet).  Never knew gaming was so expensive.  Looks like i'll be eating Chef Boyardee every day for the next 2 weeks lol

Subject: Re: Battle of the Console Wars

Written By: Red Ant on 11/27/09 at 8:43 am

Biggest sore point for me with the Wii is that 90% of really kick-ass looking games are released only on XBox and PS3 platforms. The Wiimotes are a big plus over conventional controllers.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/09 at 9:53 am

The Wiimotes are a big plus over conventional controllers.

Ant

PS3 has one one on the way

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/ps3-wiimote.jpg

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/28/09 at 3:40 pm

PS3 is the best for their video support and tried-and-true controller.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/12/10 at 8:58 pm

I hope my bro gets a PS3 real soon.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/13/10 at 5:39 pm

I hope my bro gets a PS3 real soon.

It's well worth it! But I heavily recommend getting a used older model so you'll get PS1 and PS2 backward compatibility.

Written By: whistledog on 01/16/10 at 3:39 pm

It's well worth it! But I heavily recommend getting a used older model so you'll get PS1 and PS2 backward compatibility.

The older models can do that yes, but they don't have as much storage space. 

Written By: Midas on 02/11/10 at 8:12 am

I'm an old fogey and like the Wii - I'm actually good at most of the games I have for it :D

My sister and BIL have all three systems mentioned above, and have had to repair their XboX 360 & PS3.

Written By: dogwelder on 02/14/10 at 9:12 pm

i never played on an xbox. i've been stickin' with playstation fer years........i got the last ps3 with reverse compatability so i can play all my ps games.

i bought a wii in december and i am enjoying it as well...........mario galaxy is incredible.

i'd go with ps because of the years i have been diggin' it.

i have hooked up to my tv those systems plus my nintendo, super nintendo, sega genisis and a ps2. i get nostalgic some times.

i also have the original gameboy, gameboy advanced, ds, and psp.

the funny thing is in the last month i have spent way more time playin' games here then anything else!

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/10 at 1:32 pm

So after playing both 360 and PS3 for a while now, I've got some pros and cons:

XBOX 360

PRO Will sync with a Microsoft Zune to stream music, videos and pictures through your TV
PRO Wireless controller does not require a cord to plug in to be able to sync with the system
PRO The games come in cool green cases the same size as standard DVD ones, so they are easy to store.
PRO Great Xbox exclusive titles such as:
♦ Crackdown
♦ Raiden Fighters
♦ Raiden IV
♦ Forza Motorsport
♦ Dance Dance Revolution: Universe
♦ Project Gotham Racing
♦ Amped 3
♦ Stoked
♦ Dead Rising

CON If you get the Arcade model, you have to get a 60GB add-on to be able to save progress.
CON The system heats up like crazy
CON The system plugs in via a big power bar that looks similar to the one I had for my old Commodore back in 1982
CON Tray opens up like a CD Rom drive.  Only a CON when compared with PS3
CON Remote control for DVD does not use bluetooth, so it has the censors like a regular TV remote
CON Does not play Blu-Rays, but can play HD-DVD, but requires an add-on to do so, which is no longer sold
CON The discs scratch quite easily
PRO/CON Does not play all Original XBox titles, but will play a select few which requires a special download to be able to do so

PLAYSTATION 3

PRO Plays Blu-Ray discs as well as regular DVDs
PRO Controller and Blu-Ray remote runs on blue tooth
PRO Sensor recognizes the disc and can insert via a slot
PRO The discs do not easily scratch
PRO Can sync with certain Sony Ericsson cellphones, so you can have more music on the go
PRO Simplistic cords and wires plug in directly without the aid of a giant power bar
PRO Great exclusive titles such as:
♦ MLB The Show
♦ NBA 08/NBA 09: The Inside
♦ Uncharted
♦ Heavy Rain
♦ Motorstorm/Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
♦ Dark Kingdom
♦ Gran Turismo
PRO Great exclusive content such as:
♦ Batman: Arkham Asylum - Play as the Joker
♦ Fight Night: Round 3 - Fight through the eyes of the boxer

CON Cases for the games are big and bulky, nearly twice the thickness of a Blu-ray case
CON Controller requires a cord to connect to initially sync with the system
CON Slow loading times on alot of the games
CON The system heats up after long playing times.  Not nearly as bad as 360 though
CON Newer versions will not play PS2 games, though older models can.

Though I find more CONs with the 360, I find I play it more than I do PS3

Check for new replies or respond here...