inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dance Dance Revolution

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 8:13 pm

Before there was Guitar Hero, there was Dance Dance Revolution, or DDR if you prefer. It was known for it's 4-arrow dance pad controller, it's upbeat Japanese techno songs, and it's incredibly long lines at the arcade. Anyone here play it? I have the first 6 DDRs for PS2 (MAX through X) and have been playing it on Heavy for the past few years.

Subject: Re: Dance Dance Revolution

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 8:23 pm

Before there was Guitar Hero, there was Dance Dance Revolution, or DDR if you prefer. It was known for it's 4-arrow dance pad controller, it's upbeat Japanese techno songs, and it's incredibly long lines at the arcade. Anyone here play it? I have the first 6 DDRs for PS2 (MAX through X) and have been playing it on Heavy for the past few years.

I have one version for Wii... I super suck at it!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/12/10 at 8:33 pm

I have one version for Wii... I super suck at it!

Need help? Do the "Lesson By DJ" songs and the songs rated 1 on Beginner. Trust me, you'll get better.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/12/10 at 8:57 pm

I first discovered DDR back in August of 2000 when me and my family vacationed in the Philippines and also to visit our relatives. One of my cousins is such a jackhammer at DDR. It's amazing as to how he could move so fast on the dance pad! I also tried my hand at that and it was fun. I played it on Easy most of the time. But now I'm playing it at a Normal level. I would like to go back to playing DDR again. Maybe if I ever go back to AMC's arcades some other time. When my I was at Universal Studios with my bro and cousins, my bro was very good at DDR that everybody was watching him play. They even applauded at his skills! He could play at the hardest levels!

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/10 at 10:32 pm

Need help? Do the "Lesson By DJ" songs and the songs rated 1 on Beginner. Trust me, you'll get better.

I need patience for it... I have no tolerance for music I don't like so basically the only song (that I can recall right now) that I like on DDR 2 is Bust a Move.... all the other songs kinda annoy me... 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/13/10 at 5:14 pm

I just ranted to my friend about this the other day.  It seems so unnatural to me.  It isn't really dancing.  Just sort of jumping up and down to a beat.  And I never know whether or not to wear socks or go barefoot.  Wearing socks feels so much more natural, but I'm always afraid I'm going to slip and fall.  But when I go barefoot, I'm afraid my skin is going to stick to the mat and I'll get all tangled up in it and fall down.  It just isn't the game for me.

Though to be fair, I pretty much suck at all video games.  Except Wii Resort sword fighting.  I kick ass at that.  And singing.  I can sing.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:28 pm

I just ranted to my friend about this the other day.  It seems so unnatural to me.  It isn't really dancing.  Just sort of jumping up and down to a beat.  And I never know whether or not to wear socks or go barefoot.  Wearing socks feels so much more natural, but I'm always afraid I'm going to slip and fall.  But when I go barefoot, I'm afraid my skin is going to stick to the mat and I'll get all tangled up in it and fall down.  It just isn't the game for me.

Though to be fair, I pretty much suck at all video games.  Except Wii Resort sword fighting.  I kick ass at that.  And singing.  I can sing.

yeah the only reason I do well in the Bust a Move song is that I've spent twenty + years perfecting my ability to rap it so you know I could find that beat with no problem... its all the other songs I sucked at!  ;D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/13/10 at 5:35 pm

I just ranted to my friend about this the other day.  It seems so unnatural to me.  It isn't really dancing.  Just sort of jumping up and down to a beat.  And I never know whether or not to wear socks or go barefoot.  Wearing socks feels so much more natural, but I'm always afraid I'm going to slip and fall.  But when I go barefoot, I'm afraid my skin is going to stick to the mat and I'll get all tangled up in it and fall down.  It just isn't the game for me.

Though to be fair, I pretty much suck at all video games.  Except Wii Resort sword fighting.  I kick ass at that.  And singing.  I can sing.

I thought the same thing about it not really being dancing. However, if you go to the arcades a lot, you might see some people who do Double Play with both pads and incorporate actual dance moves into the game. They are called freestylers.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:39 pm

I thought the same thing about it not really being dancing. However, if you go to the arcades a lot, you might see some people who do Double Play with both pads and incorporate actual dance moves into the game. They are called freestylers.

I have never had the guts to do DDR in public so I've never used one of those machines but I plan to buy one for myself if I ever hit the lotto  8)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/13/10 at 5:42 pm

I have never had the guts to do DDR in public so I've never used one of those machines but I plan to buy one for myself if I ever hit the lotto  8)

AMEN! I'll get me a DDR X2 machine, straight from Japan with all the awesome Japan-exclusive songs! And BTW, you said your DDR has Bust-A-Move on it? Let's see.... you've got Hottest Party 2! And that's the only song from it you like? Come on, no love for Kyoka-Suigetsu-Row? Wait, you might not have unlocked that one yet. It's my fave from Hottest Party 2, although I don't have any of the Wii DDRs, I downloaded the soundtracks from the internet.

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/10 at 5:48 pm

AMEN! I'll get me a DDR X2 machine, straight from Japan with all the awesome Japan-exclusive songs! And BTW, you said your DDR has Bust-A-Move on it? Let's see.... you've got Hottest Party 2! And that's the only song from it you like? Come on, no love for Kyoka-Suigetsu-Row? Wait, you might not have unlocked that one yet. It's my fave from Hottest Party 2, although I don't have any of the Wii DDRs, I downloaded the soundtracks from the internet.

I am not a big fan of experimental music...or whatever you call it.. I like old skool hip hop  and basically 80s pop & new wave, motown, and not much else.

Written By: Midas on 01/20/10 at 2:27 pm

The nieces in UT got one of the DDR games for the Wii for Christmas.  It had some 80's tracks as well as more current pop & house stuff onnit.  I totally nailed "dancing" to Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". :D

;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 2:56 pm

The nieces in UT got one of the DDR games for the Wii for Christmas.  It had some 80's tracks as well as more current pop & house stuff onnit.  I totally nailed "dancing" to Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative". :D

;D

my prerogative might be fun.... I need to check my game again I havent used it in a year...

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/20/10 at 3:01 pm

I sooo  suck at DDR (for the wii) that I have never attempted to do it again... :P

We have it for the Wii as well, and I can dance, but I cannot do whatever it is that the game wants me to do :P

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 3:12 pm

as ash pointed out what they have you doing is not really dancing...  ;D

Written By: Midas on 01/20/10 at 5:07 pm

my prerogative might be fun.... I need to check my game again I havent used it in a year...

For s & g's I also danced to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" by New Kids On The Block.  :D

Written By: Midas on 01/20/10 at 5:16 pm

I told my BIL in SLC if they ever need a babysitter for the girls that Sara and I will fly up for the weekend...you could see me make a fool of myself on their DDR :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 5:20 pm

For s & g's I also danced to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" and "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" by New Kids On The Block.  :D

the version they have sounds better than the version I have... or its the same version and I nver found those songs... I'd love to dance to NKOTB  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/20/10 at 9:40 pm

I got "Just Dance" for the Wii for my birthday.  I haven't tried it yet but I'm super excited to.  It seems a lot easier to me.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes.  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/20/10 at 9:40 pm

I told my BIL in SLC if they ever need a babysitter for the girls that Sara and I will fly up for the weekend...you could see me make a fool of myself on their DDR :D

Bring them over to my house and we can all be fools together!!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 9:59 pm

I got "Just Dance" for the Wii for my birthday.  I haven't tried it yet but I'm super excited to.  It seems a lot easier to me.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes.   ;D

cool.. I got Dancing with the stars... it sucks don't do it.. (For the record my mom bought it for me I would never buy such dreck!)

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 9:59 pm

Bring them over to my house and we can all be fools together!!   :D

color me green with envy!

Written By: karen on 01/20/10 at 10:53 pm

as ash pointed out what they have you doing is not really dancing...  ;D

that's why I've never tried that game.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/10 at 10:55 pm

I wonder if they'll come out with a version you can do Pants on the Ground too  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/10 at 9:36 am

If they ever put DDR on the PS3, I would consider getting it.  I got Karaoke Revolution, and the American Idol Encore games for PS3, but haven't even played them yet.  Just got them to have incase I ever felt like making a fool of myself, but isn't always an easy thing to do.  Only because I wouldn't want my neighbours complaining about the noise LOL

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/10 at 10:53 am

cool.. I got Dancing with the stars... it sucks don't do it.. (For the record my mom bought it for me I would never buy such dreck!)

What is it like?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/10 at 10:54 am

color me green with envy!

Well honey, of course you're invited too!  Come on over! 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/21/10 at 10:55 am

I tried "Just Dance" last night.  It was pretty fun, and a bit of a workout.  It was harder than I expected too, which made me happy.  I'm sure once I do each song a couple of times it will be pretty easy though.  It will be fun to incorporate it into my exercise routine.  Something to shake things up a little bit anyway.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/10 at 3:12 pm

What is it like?

it basically just follows the movement of the wii mote... want it I'll send it to you along with that other thing I still have to mail ya  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/10 at 3:16 pm

Well honey, of course you're invited too!  Come on over! 

YAY!!!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/21/10 at 4:05 pm

I've began playing Doubles Play in DDR. It's where you use 2 pads, and cross between them.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/10 at 4:06 pm

I've began playing Doubles Play in DDR. It's where you use 2 pads, and cross between them.

didn't know you could do that

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/21/10 at 7:01 pm

didn't know you could do that

It may not work on the Wii. I have it for PS2.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/10 at 7:17 pm

It may not work on the Wii. I have it for PS2.

oh...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/22/10 at 12:02 am

it basically just follows the movement of the wii mote... want it I'll send it to you along with that other thing I still have to mail ya  :-[

Why don't you like it?

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/10 at 12:20 am

Why don't you like it?

I don't know I just didn't maybe I'll give it another shot and tell ya why i got it for Xmas 08 and played it one day in Jan and thought it was lame and went back so I can't remember much about it.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 01/22/10 at 1:55 pm

It seems more of a workout than dancing.  I'm tempted to go buy a version.  I still need to reconnect the Wii from when all the kids were in town over the holidays.  Packed it up and took it to grandma & grandpa's and hooked it up to grandpa's big TV.  He was thrilled.  ::) :D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/10 at 10:34 pm

okay Ash... I dusted off Dancing with the Stars....

problem one... no need to dance- the game follows the motion of the wii remote and the nun chuck

problem two... you have to be crazy coordinated because the "dance movements" slide into a circle and you have to hit Z or B and simultaneously move the nunchuck and controller up down left or right.... actually the nunchuck only goes left and the controller only goes right but they both can be moved up and down while pressing Z and B... sometimes you have to hold the button for long moves and sometimes you have to let go.. sometimes it has you move one controller at a time or you move them simultaneaoulsly... some times you might move the N down while moviing the C up... its too much to coordinate at once..

then there are special moves like the Twist, locomotion, hand jive you do for bonus points... thats the closest you come to "dancing in the game... I just sat on the stability ball and moved my hands like a maniac...I still got points.

finally... the songs suck.... we know I'm not really tolerant of music I don't know... well the only song I knew was Destiny's Child Independent women...

Don't ask what the other songs were cuz I've already forgotten.

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/10 at 11:08 pm

DJ Blaze

I figured out my problem with DDR...

First... the only song by an original artist is Bust a Move so while there are a lot of songs I would normally enjoy on the game I don't really like their covers... Tootsie Roll is alright... Black or White is passable. I Ran meh I guess its okay but a lot of the other songs I find really annoying. 

Second.... I cannot stay centered so I find my self standing on the up arrow or on the left or right arrows when I think I'm in the center of the mat... that's just frustrating...  the mat slides a bit because I have a rug in the room but it doesn't slide that much so I think it's me....

Third...nothing short of the power of flight is gonna get me to be able to hit two arrows at the same time.... sorry but this girl has enough trouble coordinating moving one leg in one direction... god help the universe if I tried both at the same time.. I'd probably change the rotation of the planet or cause cali to fall into the pacific or something... plus its just way too hard....  ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/24/10 at 8:00 pm

okay Ash... I dusted off Dancing with the Stars....

problem one... no need to dance- the game follows the motion of the wii remote and the nun chuck

problem two... you have to be crazy coordinated because the "dance movements" slide into a circle and you have to hit Z or B and simultaneously move the nunchuck and controller up down left or right.... actually the nunchuck only goes left and the controller only goes right but they both can be moved up and down while pressing Z and B... sometimes you have to hold the button for long moves and sometimes you have to let go.. sometimes it has you move one controller at a time or you move them simultaneaoulsly... some times you might move the N down while moviing the C up... its too much to coordinate at once..

then there are special moves like the Twist, locomotion, hand jive you do for bonus points... thats the closest you come to "dancing in the game... I just sat on the stability ball and moved my hands like a maniac...I still got points.

finally... the songs suck.... we know I'm not really tolerant of music I don't know... well the only song I knew was Destiny's Child Independent women...

Don't ask what the other songs were cuz I've already forgotten.

You have to try and push buttons AND dance at the same time?

Are you freaking KIDDING me?  :o ::)

Fuggetaboutit!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/10 at 8:03 pm

You have to try and push buttons AND dance at the same time?

Are you freaking KIDDING me?   :o ::)

Fuggetaboutit!!!

I think that's the thing... you don't have to dance at all... I mean you can if you wanna but its hard enough to do standing still.... I think
I'm gonna trade it in to Game stop.

Written By: whistledog on 02/16/10 at 8:41 pm

Watching people play DDR in public can sometimes be quite the show.  I was at the local movie theatre, and in their mini arcade, they have it, and I stood there and watched these two girls about 18 years old in skimpy outfits playing it.  And I wasn't the only guy watching them play either ;D

Now that I got a 360, I am going to pick up DDR.  One of them has Rick Astley on it, and that's just so bad I just have to have it LOL

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/10 at 8:45 am

Now that I got a 360, I am going to pick up DDR.  One of them has Rick Astley on it, and that's just so bad I just have to have it LOL

Just picked up DDR Universe 1, 2 and 3.  I'm ready to shake my booty :D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/19/10 at 9:44 am

Watching people play DDR in public can sometimes be quite the show.  I was at the local movie theatre, and in their mini arcade, they have it, and I stood there and watched these two girls about 18 years old in skimpy outfits playing it.  And I wasn't the only guy watching them play either ;D

Now that I got a 360, I am going to pick up DDR.  One of them has Rick Astley on it, and that's just so bad I just have to have it LOL

DDR now with Rick Roll?  :D

Written By: Midas on 02/19/10 at 2:01 pm

I think it's in Hottest Party 3  :D

Written By: Step-chan on 02/19/10 at 2:10 pm

I think it's in Hottest Party 3  :D

There's a DDR Hottest Party 3?

Written By: Midas on 02/19/10 at 2:25 pm

There's a DDR Hottest Party 3?

There is for Wii - My niece got it for Christmas  :D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/19/10 at 7:56 pm

It's in Hottest Party 3 for Wii, like Midas said.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/19/10 at 10:25 pm

I understood that, it's just kinda funny... (Mainly because of the internet meme practical joke from the song)  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/10 at 10:55 pm

Rick gets rolled so much with 'Never Gonna Give You Up' that it's often billed as a one hit wonder.  Not quite ...

- 12 hits (9 Top 40) in the UK, one which topped the chart
- 9 hits (7 Top 40) in the USA, 2 of which topped the chart
- 9 hits (8 Top 40) in Canada, the first 4 of which topped the chart. 

Written By: Step-chan on 02/20/10 at 6:08 pm

Never knew that. ^

Although considering his singing ability, it's not too surprising.

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/10 at 10:25 pm

So I finally started playing DDR Universe.  It's hard to keep the mat from moving all over the place.  Maybe I should super glue it to my rug ;D

Written By: Midas on 03/04/10 at 12:05 pm

So I finally started playing DDR Universe.  It's hard to keep the mat from moving all over the place.  Maybe I should super glue it to my rug ;D

Velcro!

Written By: DJ Blaze on 03/04/10 at 7:17 pm

Is the pad from Konami or a 3rd party? Konami pads have a better traction.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/10 at 8:54 am

Velcro!

never thought of that lol

Is the pad from Konami or a 3rd party? Konami pads have a better traction.

It's a Konami pad.  Cane with DDR Universe 2

Written By: Midas on 03/10/10 at 11:02 am

It's a Konami pad.  Cane with DDR Universe 2

I'm picturing Jason DDRing with a cane.  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_W5QnO5UGk

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/10 at 9:11 pm

^ I don't look like Gary Cooper :D

Written By: Midas on 03/11/10 at 9:42 am

^ I don't look like Gary Cooper :D

Super duper!

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 3:59 pm

I had SuperNOVA... 2? I think? That was a fun one.

Check for new replies or respond here...