inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Streetfighter II character?

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 1:49 am

I only ever played Blanca, I liked the shock feature.

Subject: Re: Favorite Streetfighter II character?

Written By: Step-chan on 09/02/10 at 11:31 am

Chun Li was the only one I was ever good at playing as.

Written By: nally on 09/02/10 at 2:57 pm

Chun Li was the only one I was ever good at playing as.

I often played as her on the Puzzle Fighter II game. Some characters from that game were also on Street Fighter, as I recall.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/02/10 at 3:48 pm

I often played as her on the Puzzle Fighter II game. Some characters from that game were also on Street Fighter, as I recall.

Let's see.... Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Sakura... Dan and Akuma(hidden characters). Then there is Devilot, which is another hidden character. I remember unlocking the hidden fighters, alt. colors and stuff... before my Saturn's lithium battery dropped dead.

Then there's Felicia, Morrigan, Hsien-Ko and Donovan

I can pretty much play as any of them...

Well... Minus Dan, with his all red gem counter stack. The only way to really win with him is to flood the screen quickly all the way to the top.

Written By: nally on 09/02/10 at 8:15 pm

Let's see.... Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Sakura... Dan and Akuma(hidden characters). Then there is Devilot, which is another hidden character. I remember unlocking the hidden fighters, alt. colors and stuff... before my Saturn's lithium battery dropped dead.

Then there's Felicia, Morrigan, Hsien-Ko and Donovan

I can pretty much play as any of them...

I've played as all of the eight basic characters, but as I played the game more, I usually made my decisions based upon the characters' patterns of numbered blocks.

The last time that I ever played it (which was almost nine years ago), I played as Morrigan and got through the game easily. I never bothered with unlocking the hidden treats and stuff, mainly cuz I didn't know how to do it then.

Well... Minus Dan, with his all red gem counter stack. The only way to really win with him is to flood the screen quickly all the way to the top.

That's right, if he bombards you with numbered blocks, all you need is a red "crash gem" and that'll KO him instantly when they hit zero.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/10 at 6:06 pm

Depending on which SFII game, was who my favourite was ...

One version I played had a glitch with Blanka, where you could briefly turn him into Ryu and do a super slow Hoyuken, that would drain half your opponents life.

Another one had a Vega trick, where that off the wall suplex he did made you unstoppable, where you could beat the game without getting hit.

Another one had a Ryu glitch where if you jumped and threw a hadoken, you could jump in mid air and thow another, repeating this, taking you up screens where you were still visible, and could damage enemies, but they couldn't touch you.

Doing these tricks in the Arcades back in the day pissed off alot of b-boys.  If I had a 25c for every punk who threatened my life over this, I'd be very rich LOL

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/10 at 6:09 pm

The new Super Street Fighter IV is cool, as it has incorporated characters from the Capcom classic 'Final Fight'.  You can play as Guy, Cody and Haggar.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/18/10 at 6:24 pm

The new Super Street Fighter IV is cool, as it has incorporated characters from the Capcom classic 'Final Fight'.  You can play as Guy, Cody and Haggar.

Haggar is my favorite character to play as on the 1st Final Fight.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/10 at 6:37 pm

Haggar is my favorite character to play as on the 1st Final Fight.

He's got that awesome pile driver.  It's not the same in 'Final Fight Streetwise'

Written By: Step-chan on 09/18/10 at 8:10 pm

He's got that awesome pile driver.  It's not the same in 'Final Fight Streetwise'

I've played the first three myself. Never played the Streetwise one.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/10 at 12:15 am

Depending on which SFII game, was who my favourite was ...

One version I played had a glitch with Blanka, where you could briefly turn him into Ryu and do a super slow Hoyuken, that would drain half your opponents life.

Another one had a Vega trick, where that off the wall suplex he did made you unstoppable, where you could beat the game without getting hit.

Another one had a Ryu glitch where if you jumped and threw a hadoken, you could jump in mid air and thow another, repeating this, taking you up screens where you were still visible, and could damage enemies, but they couldn't touch you.

Doing these tricks in the Arcades back in the day pissed off alot of b-boys.  If I had a 25c for every punk who threatened my life over this, I'd be very rich LOL

Why does it not surprise me that you found those glitches? ;D  Seriously, you should be a video game tester.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/19/10 at 9:52 pm

I almost wish I were in college again, so I could write papers about Chun-Li.  Seriously.  Even if you end up saying "would you like fries with that?" for the rest of your life, wouldn't it be hilarious to get a degree - even in a science as soft as sociology - by writing a thesis about a video game character?

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/11 at 4:13 pm

I only ever played Blanca, I liked the shock feature.

Yes, I am a Blanka fan. I like to Sonic Boom people with Guile too.

Today, Streetfighter 2 looks a bit corny and dated but back in the early 1990s it was like a media event when it was released on SNES.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/11 at 4:56 pm

Yes, I am a Blanka fan. I like to Sonic Boom people with Guile too.

Today, Streetfighter 2 looks a bit corny and dated but back in the early 1990s it was like a media event when it was released on SNES.

It's still quite surprising how Street Fighter II became the world famous game that it did, because there is always a question that brings up this answer ...

There was a Street Fighter I?

Written By: Step-chan on 09/24/11 at 8:21 pm

Eeyup!

I think Capcom wants to forget the first game.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/24/11 at 8:49 pm

Street Fighter I.

As Step-chan put it, it's more of historical interest.  I'd like to see and play one with the original controls, but they're scarce as hen's teeth.  Judging from the flyer, I'm guessing that the harder you hit the pad, the more likely you were to get the pneumatic equivalent of a jab/hook/fierce punch or block/round/fierce kick, and that in the real world, when the pneumatic system failed, you ended up with two fighters jabbing/blocking even if the players were pounding the pads until their hands bled.

Great concept, though.  I'm not a big fan of the change in gaming culture from multiplayer co-opetition games (Joust, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Quartet, Smash TV, TMNT, T2, etc) to 2-player purely-competitive games (SF, MK, TK, etc), but I can't deny that both genres of multiplayer coin-op games were both fun and offered gaming experiences that couldn't be had by a solo player on a home console.  Fighting games - particularly SF2 and MK - kept the arcade alive for a good 5-10 years longer than it would otherwise have lasted.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/24/11 at 9:50 pm

I've seen the arcade version of it as a kid. ^

I remember watching other's play it.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/25/11 at 7:37 am

Not sure who my favorite is, but Guile had the best fight music :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLJLyneZGKc

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/11 at 4:15 pm

Street Fighter I.

As Step-chan put it, it's more of historical interest.  I'd like to see and play one with the original controls, but they're scarce as hen's teeth.  Judging from the flyer, I'm guessing that the harder you hit the pad, the more likely you were to get the pneumatic equivalent of a jab/hook/fierce punch or block/round/fierce kick, and that in the real world, when the pneumatic system failed, you ended up with two fighters jabbing/blocking even if the players were pounding the pads until their hands bled.

Great concept, though.  I'm not a big fan of the change in gaming culture from multiplayer co-opetition games (Joust, Gauntlet, Double Dragon, Quartet, Smash TV, TMNT, T2, etc) to 2-player purely-competitive games (SF, MK, TK, etc), but I can't deny that both genres of multiplayer coin-op games were both fun and offered gaming experiences that couldn't be had by a solo player on a home console.  Fighting games - particularly SF2 and MK - kept the arcade alive for a good 5-10 years longer than it would otherwise have lasted.

Many years ago, I found the original Street Fighter at a small arcade at a convenience store.  It was a two button control, and what I didn't like was how the fighters jumped was kind of at an akward angle, which ultimately made it difficult to control.

Written By: Bobby on 09/26/11 at 4:46 pm

It's still quite surprising how Street Fighter II became the world famous game that it did, because there is always a question that brings up this answer ...

Good point. Streetfighter I did make the 8 bit machines but didn't shake the gaming world up. I think it's because Streetfighter II was a more polished game with new characters, special moves and better marketing.

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/11 at 7:04 pm

Good point. Streetfighter I did make the 8 bit machines but didn't shake the gaming world up. I think it's because Streetfighter II was a more polished game with new characters, special moves and better marketing.

The first ever appearance of the first Street Fighter on a home console was in 1988 for the Turbo Grafx-CD, and for it's release, NEC re-named it Fighting Street ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3K8m9yNahA

It was ported to computer playforms that same year, but never made another home console appearance until 2005 when it appeared as one of the games on the 'Capcom Classics Collection - Volume 2' for Xbox and Playstation 2

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/11 at 5:14 am

The first ever appearance of the first Street Fighter on a home console was in 1988 for the Turbo Grafx-CD, and for it's release, NEC re-named it Fighting Street ... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3K8m9yNahA

It was ported to computer playforms that same year, but never made another home console appearance until 2005 when it appeared as one of the games on the 'Capcom Classics Collection - Volume 2' for Xbox and Playstation 2

Interesting stuff there. The animations look a bit to wooden like Streets of Rage in comparison to Streetfighter II though they still kept the slow-motion death scenes, lol.

I'm glad they ditched the title 'Fighting Street'.

Check for new replies or respond here...