inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Handheld Video Game Systems

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/11 at 1:27 am

If you've never heard of the Supervision or the Barcode Battler, you may not be alone.

Subject: Re: Handheld Video Game Systems

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/11 at 1:29 am

I went with the DS Lite (for it's Game Boy Advance compatibility), the Sega  Game Gear and the NEC TurboExpress.

I never had a TurboExpress, but I did have a Turbo Grafx-16, for which the games were compatible between the two and it has some fantastic games.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/11 at 9:53 am

I went with GBA and PSP  the two systems I still own and use on a regular basis... I never got a DS but I want one. It would've been my third choice but since I've only handled one for about 5 minutes I didn't feel it was fair to select it.

Written By: wildcard on 05/21/11 at 11:06 am

I use to have a watch that played a Mario game.  I still have a gameboy color with a few games somewhere.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/11 at 2:42 pm

Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and DS.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/11 at 2:44 pm

Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance and DS.

so....basically....you're a Nintend-ho'  ;D 

Written By: nally on 05/22/11 at 11:14 am

My only vote went to the Nintendo Game Boy (original) because that's the only one I've ever owned and played with.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/22/11 at 11:53 am

Sega Game Gear, GBA, DS

Written By: Step-chan on 05/22/11 at 8:46 pm

so....basically....you're a Nintend-ho'  ;D 

Those are really the only ones I've ever had anyone, plus a regular Gameboy(which was more annoying to play).

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/11 at 9:04 pm

The issue I always had with the original GameBoy, was that sometimes it was hard to see with the colorless display, and I don't mean having to use that game boy light attachment to play it in the dark, but with many games, the scrolling bit was sometimes hard to see.

I played 'Operation C' on a Game Boy just a few weeks ago, and it was very hard to see.

Written By: nally on 05/23/11 at 3:30 pm

The issue I always had with the original GameBoy, was that sometimes it was hard to see with the colorless display, and I don't mean having to use that game boy light attachment to play it in the dark, but with many games, the scrolling bit was sometimes hard to see.

Yes, that was problematic for many people. My eyes would often get tired from playing with it a long time.

I keep meaning to try playing the "Home Alone" game again, trying some tips that I viewed online, but I would probably need at least an hour to successfully complete those.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/23/11 at 8:29 pm

Anyone here tried the Game Boy Player? It lets you play GB/GBC/GBA games on a GameCube on your TV. I have one and I use it a lot.

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/11 at 10:37 pm

Anyone here tried the Game Boy Player? It lets you play GB/GBC/GBA games on a GameCube on your TV. I have one and I use it a lot.

To get that requires a GameCube, which is cool, but would be the only benefit of getting a GameCube, which doesn't make it worth it really as the Wii can play Game Cube games.

If they had a standalone Game Boy Player that did not require a Game Cube, I'd get that in a heartbeat

Written By: whistledog on 06/23/11 at 9:14 pm

I recently picked up a Sony PSP and man do I love it.  Found some UMD movies at a few buy/sell/trade stores and suped up my game collection.

Pursuit Force is one hell of a fantastic game 8)

Written By: Tango on 02/10/12 at 2:16 pm

I liked the GB colour and the GBA. The first DS was certainly good for its time but now even that feels dated compared to the 3DS.

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/12 at 5:21 pm

I love the 3DS, but I am still a fan of the Nintendo DS Lite, not just for it's ability to play Game Boy Advance games, but for it's exclusive Band Hero and Guitar Hero versions. 

How it worked was a little fret bar that you slid into the GBA slot, and you would strap it to your hand, and use the stylus to strum the strings on the screen.  The Band Hero version also featured a rubber skin you would place over the DS that looked like a Rock Band drum pad.

http://www.techdigest.tv/assets_c/2009/06/guitar-hero-modern-hits-thumb-500x450-90360.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/13 at 12:01 am

A glimpse into my collection of hand held systems:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p206x206/150463_10151368430244317_1312519253_n.jpg

TOP ROW:  Sony Playstation Portable (Pink) / Sony Playstation Vita / Nintendo DS Lite
MIDDLE ROW:  Nintendo 3DS (Aqua Blue)
BOTTOM ROW:  NEC Turbo Express / Nintendo Game Boy Micro (Limited Edition Famicom Version) / Nintendo Game Boy Advance

I should update this picture.  I now have a 2nd NEC Turbo Express

Written By: Howard on 04/30/13 at 8:15 pm

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/fhc9g.u42go/v/vspfiles/photos/System-GameBoy-Original-2.jpg?1318430308

and I still have mine after 24 years. :)

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/14 at 6:27 pm

I was messing around with my Nintendo DS Lite, and you wouldn't believe the possibilities that it has:

A standard Nintendo DS Lite can play DS games and Game Boy Advance games.  Mine can also play games for NES, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Turbo Grafx-16.  It also has an iPod with a few mp3 albums on it, plus a little over 20 movies on it.  As we speak, I am watching the 1985 movie 'Once Bitten' starring Jim Carrey on it LOL

Written By: Howard on 02/16/14 at 4:07 pm

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/FCKEditorFiles//Game_and_watch_Ball.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...