inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Xbox One vs PS4

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/14 at 6:37 pm

The BIG question is which do you prefer?

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/xbox-720/thumb/b/b4/XboxPS4_110613_1280.jpg/468px-XboxPS4_110613_1280.jpg

The Xbox One retails for $499.99
The PS4 retails for $449.99

The Xbox One comes with the new Kinect
The PS4 Move camera is sold separately

The Xbox One currently comes bundled with Titanfall game
The PS4 comes with no game

The Xbox One is not backwards compatible with 360 games
The PS4 will be compatible with PS3 games, but through download only (code generates when you put in a PS3 disc)

The Xbox One requires Xbox Live to use services like Netflix, Internet, Facebook, etc
The PS4 only requires Playstation Plus for in game stuff.  It is not required for Netflix, Internet, Facebook, etc

Some Xbox One games require Xbox Live to initially start the game for the first time
No PS4 game requires Playstation Plus, unless it is an online only game (which I do not believe there are any of those yet)

The PS4 can link up to a Playstation Vita (PSV) for remote play.  You can control and see a PS4 game all on the PSV
Microsoft never had a handheld, so the Xbox One cannot do remote play

The PS4 is smaller in size, both console and controller.  The controller also has a trackpad.
The Xbox One controller has no trackpad

I went to Best Buy today with intent to get an Xbox One, but after about an hour of deciding, the PS4 was the winner for me.  It does all I need and more!

Subject: Re: Xbox One vs PS4

Written By: loki 13 on 04/05/14 at 7:15 pm

It is like I am watching the Big Bang Theory again.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwCiVQ9IqIc

Written By: snozberries on 04/06/14 at 6:57 am

I was thinking the same thing!

Written By: Howard on 04/06/14 at 3:19 pm

I like how Sheldon describes it. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/14 at 6:20 pm

Sheldon is still undecided lol  When you think about it, PS4 is the ultimate winner.  Sony owns Blu-Ray, and the Xbox One has a Blu-Ray player built in, which means Microsoft pays royalties to Sony.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/19/14 at 4:48 am

I want to know from someone who actually owns one to hear how it is. From what I read about them, I'm leaning towards PS4 if I buy a new system down the road. I'm told with Xbox One you HAVE to have that camera and it HAS to be on at all times, and you can't share games and whatnot. That's what I was told, so I don't know, but it doesn't sound appealing. I have the Xbox360 and like it, so I'm not particular to either, it depends on what features they have when new ones come out. I do like Xbox controllers better because of the way the buttons are, but that's not a problem. I just use the systems for games and movies. I don't know how you go online with them or do other stuff.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/14 at 7:27 pm

You don't have to have the camera for Xbox One.  It is required though for voice commands.  Microsoft decided to re-brand the Xbox One and starting in June, it will be sold without the Camera, so it will see a price drop of $100.

The one thing I am disappointed avbout having went with PS4:  The Xbox One has a remote control for Blu-Ray/DVD.  PS4 does not have one (yet)

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/03/14 at 3:10 am

You don't have to have the camera for Xbox One.  It is required though for voice commands.  Microsoft decided to re-brand the Xbox One and starting in June, it will be sold without the Camera, so it will see a price drop of $100.

The one thing I am disappointed avbout having went with PS4:  The Xbox One has a remote control for Blu-Ray/DVD.  PS4 does not have one (yet)

I'm just telling you what I was told from hearsay. Not only was the camera required, but you had to buy all games full price, they can only be played by the owner, and the games won't be available used anymore. Considering used games make better business than selling them new, I find that hard to believe. Why was the camera required for voice commands though?

I'm sure it will come with a remote as you'd think PS would want to keep up with the competition.

I still want PS4 so I can play Infamous Second Son, but it will have to wait until the price drops some more.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/14 at 5:55 pm

I'm just telling you what I was told from hearsay. Not only was the camera required, but you had to buy all games full price, they can only be played by the owner, and the games won't be available used anymore. Considering used games make better business than selling them new, I find that hard to believe. Why was the camera required for voice commands though?

I'm sure it will come with a remote as you'd think PS would want to keep up with the competition.

I still want PS4 so I can play Infamous Second Son, but it will have to wait until the price drops some more.

The Xbox One itself doesn't have a built in microphone.  It is on the camera
The original Kinect for Xbox 360 is the same.  It has a microphone, so you can control your Xbox 360 with your voice.

Written By: Bobby on 07/31/14 at 6:51 pm

I have a PS4 and very happy with it. It is a gaming machine first and a media centre second and Xbox One seems to be the other way around. Besides, I thought Xbox One's PR event to introduce the machine was a complete disaster.

I am a little surprised at how slow off the ground both PS4 and Xbox One have gone this year. I was looking forward to Drive Club when that was introduced but that has been postponed a whole year! GTA4 came out for PS3 and people were saying it will never come out for the next generation consoles. I knew it would and...low and behold it's coming out around October time.

It seems October and November will be the when things hot up. Dragon Age: Inquisition is a game I am really looking forward to though it's boast of 'the map for the third game will be significantly bigger than the second' doesn't really hype things up that much considering how awful the second game was.

Check for new replies or respond here...