inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: best game over screens

Written By: Rosequartz2000 on 02/18/18 at 11:39 am

What were some of your favorite game over screens?
For me, it was "TOC-MAN WORLD" in Pac-Man World; back then I'd never heard of a game over screen where THE ENTIRE GAME got rennamed, so seeing that made my 10 year old self crack up on the floor. Eliza had no idea why it was so funny, but I did.
Another memorable screen was the second Crash Bandicoot where Cortex was just... staring at you, shifting between eyes, like "who is that kid sitting in front of the screen?" Unlike Pac-Man World above, this one actually made Eliza crack up, too.
And in the Sonic games with that dopey rendition of the main theme, while Sonic has the "oh crap" look on his face and slides down the screen. This is why I was fine with getting a game over in those. Sonic CD, however, made me angry - Robotnik was laughing at me for my failure JESUS CHRIST IT WAS MY FIRST SONIC GAME I PICKED UP THE CONTROLLER ON! I'M JUST LEARNING HOW TO DO A SUPER-PEEL OUT!
Majora's Mask with the Moon falling on everyone; this was my first time seeing a game over screen where the villain's goal was carried out, and it made me determined to beat the game. I'd met with a terrible fate, hadn't I?
And finally, the classic: "Snake! SNAAAKE!" Fun fact - when I first saw that screen when I was 9, I said audibly: "He's dead! So why're you screaming for him?"

Check for new replies or respond here...