inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask ChuckyG

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:02 pm

One at a time.  No new questions until I answer the current question (just to keep it easier to follow)

who wants to go first, can be anything. 

MODIFIED AGAIN: it's ok if you want to ask another.  I think I can handle it >grin<

Subject: Re: Ask ChuckyG

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/05 at 2:04 pm

ChuckyG

Are you running this board on your own?

Philip

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/28/05 at 2:04 pm

Alright - an (almost) live chat with the man himself! :)

What's your favorite Sounds of the 80's Time-Life CD? (Loved your reviews of them BTW - it's part of what led me to find this site!)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:07 pm

ChuckyG

Are you running this board on your own?

Philip

kind of sorta. 

There are volunteers who handle things like moderating the inthe00s board (Bobo and Hairspray)

There are editors, who review new entries on amiright and inthe80s before they go up on those sites.

I handle all the bills, the software, creating new pages, basically everything except reviewing the stuff submitted to the site.  If it breaks I fix it.  I'm the Schneider of the sites. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:13 pm

What's your favorite Sounds of the 80's Time-Life CD? (Loved your reviews of them BTW - it's part of what led me to find this site!)

Interesting too, because those were one of the very first things I created for the 80s website.  When the 80s website began, it was like most websites in the mid 90s, and just a bunch of links to other sites (which I dont even do anymore due to the massive amount of work it takes to remove and add sites and keep it current).  I just updated them to XHTML the other day as part of the site make over for the 10 year anniversary this June (trying to do a few sections every day, but I got burned out last week).

anyways... the favorite?

http://www.inthe80s.com/compilations/rolling_sounds1980rs.shtml

it's a Rolling Stone Sounds of the 80s disc, which I think can only be purchased as part of the set.

The best 80s discs, are probably the expensive Pop & Wave series from Germany.  $40 when they first came out, I've lucked out and found a few sets for around $20 and got copies of the rest.  The Rhino New Wave set I like a lot more now than when I originally reviewed them, not to mention I was reviewing them with parties in mind.  I wouldn't put those discs on random play at a party, but they're excellent to listen to at work.

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 2:14 pm

Hi Chucky.

How do you feel about having sound files on the boards? I am thinking of making a thread up based on the idea.  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:16 pm

Hi Chucky.

How do you feel about having sound files on the boards? I am thinking of making a thread up based on the idea.  :)

They take up a lot of space, and consume too much bandwidth.  If people starting posting mp3s of their favorite songs, it could get me nasty letters from the RIAA.  I think it's always better to point people to a file on a server than to post it on the server.

Modified to add: if it's not to share copyrighted material, we can try it and see what happens.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/28/05 at 2:18 pm

hi,Chucky..has anyone told you lately that you're the best?  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:18 pm

hi,Chucky..has anyone told you lately that you're the best?  8)

yes, you did earlier when I fixed your tagline.

Written By: ktelqueen on 03/28/05 at 2:19 pm

;)  your help and creativity are truly valued  :)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 2:20 pm

Do you have children?  If so, do they listen to rap/ghetto music?

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 2:22 pm

They take up a lot of space, and consume too much bandwidth.   If people starting posting mp3s of their favorite songs, it could get me nasty letters from the RIAA.  I think it's always better to point people to a file on a server than to post it on the server.

Modified to add: if it's not to share copyrighted material, we can try it and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, Chucky.

It's nothing to do with copyrighted material - unless users voices are copyrighted. It will be structured too so there won't be varying file sizes. :)

Do you reckon that is okay?  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:24 pm

Do you have children?  If so, do they listen to rap/ghetto music?

one on the way at the end of July (quite literally, due the 30th).  Won't know the gender until the happy day, currently the baby has responded when hearing some Philly sound in the car, maybe because the baby heard some two months ago when we saw the 70s' Soul Jam at Foxwoods.  That's an encouraging start, maybe I should be seeing Duran Duran next with the wife instead of one of my friends to continue them down the right path.

baby's fist pictures can be found here:

http://www.chuckyg.com/pictures/

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, Chucky.

It's nothing to do with copyrighted material - unless users voices are copyrighted. It will be structured too so there won't be varying file sizes. :)

Do you reckon that is okay?  :)

that's two questions, but yes, go for it.

heck, if you want, you could do a "What do you sound like" thread like the photo thread. 

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 2:26 pm

one on the way at the end of July (quite literally, due the 30th).  Won't know the gender until the happy day, currently the baby has responded when hearing some Philly sound in the car, maybe because the baby heard some two months ago when we saw the 70s' Soul Jam at Foxwoods.  That's an encouraging start, maybe I should be seeing Duran Duran next with the wife instead of one of my friends to continue them down the right path.

Congratulations, ChuckyG!  I'm sure the baby will learn how to appreciate good music!

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 2:28 pm

that's two questions, but yes, go for it.

heck, if you want, you could do a "What do you sound like" thread like the photo thread. 

Sorry Chucky.  :-[  ;D

That is what I plan to do. Thanks for that. I thought I ought to check with you first.  ;)

Great news about the baby, Chucky.  :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 3:33 pm

Sorry Chucky.  :-[  ;D

I was just kidding anyways

Written By: Bobby on 03/28/05 at 3:42 pm

I was just kidding anyways

:)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/28/05 at 4:16 pm

Whaaaahh congratulations Chucky and family..hey man your baby has taste!! Philly Sounds  :) :)
One of my favourite cities Philadelphia,  and I love the music that came out of there :)

Written By: whitewolf on 03/28/05 at 4:19 pm

Chucky, what do you think of adding a chat room to the site? One of the threads here seem to have alot of people supporting the idea

Written By: Howard on 03/28/05 at 4:40 pm

How's your wife doing? :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/28/05 at 5:38 pm

CONGRATS to you and Mrs. G.  ;D ;D ;D  I am very happy for you both.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 8:54 pm

Chucky, what do you think of adding a chat room to the site? One of the threads here seem to have alot of people supporting the idea

I've tried it before.  I didn't think it was a good idea to do it again.

Written By: MooRocca on 03/28/05 at 8:56 pm

How's your thumb?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 9:03 pm

How's your thumb?

just like new.

my right ear has been giving me problems though.  go to see the doc tomorrow.  if it's not one thing it's another

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/28/05 at 9:08 pm

Do you have any other career fields aside from websites?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 9:13 pm

Do you have any other career fields aside from websites?

I'm learning how to repair small engines, I have a certificate in Graphic Design, I did embedded systems programming up until 2000 (that's stuff like small computers in other things, like laser vision correction machines and fire alarms).

I was planning on writing an 80s music trivia book, but I've put that aside for the time being. I wasn't sure about my original idea, and to be honest, I think I have a new idea that might be better.

Written By: AL-B on 03/28/05 at 9:14 pm

Chucky,

What inspired you to create this site?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 9:19 pm

Chucky,

What inspired you to create this site?

inthe00s was inspired by all the smaller messageboards on four of my other sites. I thought it would be easier to maintain software for one messageboard instead of four. (I actually have a fifth that's still seperate, worcestermass.com, which is local Worcester, Mass discussion, not very popular).

the 80s site (which is my first site) was inspired by all the 80s CD compilations I was buying at the time.  I was always a huge Duran Duran fan and I used to run a BBS called "The Information Society" for five years, and figured the web was going to replace the whole BBS scene (ain't that the truth), so I decided to shutter the BBS and just do website stuff.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/28/05 at 9:22 pm

Whats BBS?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/28/05 at 9:27 pm

Whats BBS?

I knew someone would ask that.

Bulletin Board System. 

Before the Web, the Internet wasn't an easy thing to use, and restricted to a few companies and mostly colleges.  In 1978, someone got the idea that if they hooked up a modem and left their computer on a dedicated line, people could post messages, exchange files, and play games over the phone.  In 1990 I set my computer up to allow people to do that. 

A much more detailed explanation is available at wikipedia, link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

Written By: Dagwood on 03/28/05 at 10:22 pm

Cute first pics of the little one, Chucky.  Wait, this is a question thread...What is 'cute first pics of the little one, Chucky.'? ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/28/05 at 10:29 pm

I knew someone would ask that.

Bulletin Board System. 

Before the Web, the Internet wasn't an easy thing to use, and restricted to a few companies and mostly colleges.  In 1978, someone got the idea that if they hooked up a modem and left their computer on a dedicated line, people could post messages, exchange files, and play games over the phone.  In 1990 I set my computer up to allow people to do that. 

A much more detailed explanation is available at wikipedia, link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletin_board_system

I knew there had to be somebody!!  I posted a thread awhile back to see if anyone else had been online since the 80's but it seemed nobody had..  Did you start with an acoustic modem too?  I started calling BBS's in 1985 by the way...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/28/05 at 10:48 pm

when did you start this website and who was the very first member?

Erin :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 8:27 am

I knew there had to be somebody!!  I posted a thread awhile back to see if anyone else had been online since the 80's but it seemed nobody had..  Did you start with an acoustic modem too?  I started calling BBS's in 1985 by the way...

Never had an acoustic, I started around 1988 or 1989.  Started with a 1200 BAUD modem on a high school Macintosh.  It was like a whole other world once you start dialing out to other computers.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 8:32 am

when did you start this website and who was the very first member?

I started June of 1995.  Since it was on a really primative VAX hosting account, I had no messageboard and really no members. 

Here's a link to what the site looked like in July of 1995, the dead links have been replaced with links back to the homepage.

http://inthe80s.com/july1995/homepage.html

The messageboard came along in 1998 when the VAX accounts ceased to be, and I had to get a real hosting account

Here's a link to the first posts in May of 1998

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/index_05_1998.shtml

The concept of members didn't really exist with the early software, you just posted your name and email address.  The first regular users were people called Retroraider and Dan Nero, whom I don't believe still post here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/05 at 11:39 am

How does the copyright stand on posting jgps?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 11:52 am

How does the copyright stand on posting jgps?

huh?

do you mean is it ok to repost pictures of copyrighted material?  technically no, but I think 90% of the websites in existance do it, so it's probably ok as long as your website isn't trying to sell the images for some purpose.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/05 at 11:56 am

huh?

do you mean is it ok to repost pictures of copyrighted material?  technically no, but I think 90% of the websites in existance do it, so it's probably ok as long as your website isn't trying to sell the images for some purpose.

Thank you for that advice, and please do not worry about the content of the picture, I am well aware on what is best to be shown and not. you may have already notiice two that I have already posted, which seemed alright, but at the discretion of the viewer, I have just posted the JGP as a link and it leaves the option of not viewing the picture, if wished not too.

Written By: nally on 03/29/05 at 6:17 pm

Hi, Chucky! ;) How did you come up with the name "Amiright" for your lyrics web site? ;) I've been curious about that for almost 5 years now.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/05 at 6:24 pm

Why did you want to start a messageboard?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 6:31 pm

Hi, Chucky! ;) How did you come up with the name "Amiright" for your lyrics web site? ;) I've been curious about that for almost 5 years now.

I just answered that the other day actually, as part of the FAQ project (which seems to be petering out)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8520.15.html

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/29/05 at 6:32 pm

Why did you want to start a messageboard?

It was something I wanted to do ever since I began a website, since I always considered it the best part of the BBS scene I previously belonged to.  Check the previous answers for explanations of what a BBS is/was. 

Written By: nally on 03/29/05 at 10:27 pm

I just answered that the other day actually, as part of the FAQ project (which seems to be petering out)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8520.15.html

Well, I haven't read that thread yet, but thanks! I'll be sure to check it out. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/05 at 9:37 am

Hey Chucky, where are Hairspray and Bobo? (Or is that two questions? Oops-that makes three.  ;) :D)

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/05 at 10:04 am

Hey Chucky, where are Hairspray and Bobo? (Or is that two questions? Oops-that makes three.  ;) :D)

Hairspray has been sick, she's starting to get better, and has been around a little more.  That's as much detail as I have there.

Bobo.  No idea.  I know his school work was getting to be a burden at one point (he started college this year) so maybe he just doesn't have the time anymore.

and before anyone asks, I'm not planning on replacing or adding more moderators at the moment.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/05 at 10:09 am

Hairspray has been sick, she's starting to get better, and has been around a little more.  That's as much detail as I have there.

Bobo.  No idea.  I know his school work was getting to be a burden at one point (he started college this year) so maybe he just doesn't have the time anymore.

and before anyone asks, I'm not planning on replacing or adding more moderators at the moment.

If you talk to Hairspray give her our good wishes for a speedy recovery and let her know that we miss her.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/05 at 10:21 am

Chucky, are you excited about being a daddy?

Not as much as I could be.  Right now, I'm just stressing out over getting the bedroom ready for the baby, along with a million other things, so I don't think about it much.  I'm sure when I get closer to the day, it'll sink in a little more.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/30/05 at 12:08 pm

What kind of car is that on your avatar?

Written By: nally on 03/30/05 at 1:24 pm

Not as much as I could be.  Right now, I'm just stressing out over getting the bedroom ready for the baby, along with a million other things, so I don't think about it much.  I'm sure when I get closer to the day, it'll sink in a little more.

Do you know whether it's going to be a boy or girl? (Or has that question already been asked here? Ooops, that's two questions!)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/05 at 2:04 pm

What kind of car is that on your avatar?

That's my 1989 Mustang LX 5.0

The picture was taken by the co-worker who sold it to me.  I've been eagerly waiting for the weather to warm up so I can drive it. I've also got a box of stuff that needs to go on it, replacement door handle bezels, and weather stripping, a hole to fix in the canvas, and a small mold problem in the interior from leaving it too long in a damp garage last summer.  I'm going to charge the battery tonight and bring it over to my uncle's body shop for a little work this week.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and warm soon so I can put the top down and drive it to work.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/30/05 at 2:06 pm

Do you know whether it's going to be a boy or girl? (Or has that question already been asked here? Ooops, that's two questions!)

it's going to be undetermined until the day it comes out (mother's wishes).

the ultrasound operator said he a few times while grabbing shots, but I think that was more out of a need to refrain from saying "he/she/it"

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/30/05 at 5:58 pm

Do either one of you have any names for the little one?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 9:56 am

Do either one of you have any names for the little one?

Evan or Rachael are the current front runners.  I haven't had the time to give it a lot of time and research.  The wife is very keen on Rachael, I think it's a little too common, I wanted a name that wasn't too popular, yet easy to spell/pronounce.  Evan isn't a very popular name, and definitely easy to spell, Rachael isn't quite so.

Written By: Niko101 on 03/31/05 at 10:53 am

I wanted a name that wasn't too popular, yet easy to spell/pronounce. 

Please, for heaven's sake...do NOT name the kid Pirate or Apple! :D

My Chucky question is regarding inthe80s editors...
Have you already chosen your editors? The radio shows/clubs section is terribly outdated for Washington (I submitted some updates about 6 months ago), so I'm guessing that nobody is currently on task? I know you're a busy guy, so no worries...just curiosity.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 12:20 pm

Please, for heaven's sake...do NOT name the kid Pirate or Apple! :D

My Chucky question is regarding inthe80s editors...
Have you already chosen your editors? The radio shows/clubs section is terribly outdated for Washington (I submitted some updates about 6 months ago), so I'm guessing that nobody is currently on task? I know you're a busy guy, so no worries...just curiosity.

I've got about 10 people interested in being editors that I haven't gotten around to setting up.  I don't think there's been an editor for the radio section yet to even get through the backlog from when I stopped doing it myself.

Basically, I'm spending my time trying to upgrade all the pages into XHTML and cleaning up the formatting, so I can relaunch the website for the 10 year anniversy in June.  I'm trying to do three or four pages (as in sections, not indiividual pages) every week. The music section is almost complete and the quizzes are all done over.  Once this distraction is out of the way, I'm going to begin setting up new editors to handle pages that aren't being looked over.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/31/05 at 12:37 pm

Can we still retrieve stuff from the archives or are they gone?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 2:07 pm

Can we still retrieve stuff from the archives or are they gone?

the messageboard archives?  They're still there, just click on the word archived.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/31/05 at 2:32 pm

the messageboard archives?  They're still there, just click on the word archived.
It's not where it used to be though... :-[

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 2:50 pm

It's not where it used to be though... :-[

sorry, I didn't think it was that confusing

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/31/05 at 2:53 pm

sorry, I didn't think it was that confusing
Hey Chucky, this is ME, remember :D Anyway, where are they?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 3:17 pm

Hey Chucky, this is ME, remember :D Anyway, where are they?

on the top right, under key stats:

374175 Posts in 33793 Topics were Archived

click on Archived

Written By: Howard on 03/31/05 at 3:23 pm

How's Mrs.Chucky G? :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/31/05 at 3:33 pm

http://inthe80s.com/july1995/1980/music.html

incase anyone is wondering, the compilation reviews were the first content created for the music portion of the site, and here's a link to how they looked in July of 1995, about a month after the site began.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/31/05 at 3:37 pm

on the top right, under key stats:

click on Archived
;) Thanks, Chucky  :)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 03/31/05 at 9:40 pm

Do you like to wear ties, and where do you get them.  If so, do you prefer the half windsor, four-in-hand, or double windsor knot

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/01/05 at 6:35 am

Chuck, as the webmaster, what valuable insights did you gain out of the nightmare (more so for you than any of us, I am sure) that was the infamous board hacking of early 2002?

As in what do you do differently now, and wish in retrospect you had been doing it then ?  :)

Subject: Re: Ask Chuck

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 8:46 am

Do you like to wear ties, and where do you get them.  If so, do you prefer the half windsor, four-in-hand, or double windsor knot

I don't care for them, but I do own a dozen or so.  I think I tie a half windsor

Subject: Re: Ask Chuck

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 8:49 am

Chuck, as the webmaster, what valuable insights did you gain out of the nightmare (more so for you than any of us, I am sure) that was the infamous board hacking of early 2002?

As in what do you do differently now, and wish in retrospect you had been doing it then ?  :)

I left a admin default password in place, which I thought I had removed.  The newer versions of the software don't allow that to happen anymore (thankfully).  It's a lesson I had read about before (Clifford Stoll's "Cuckoo Egg" described hackers using that technique in VAX systems), and never thought I'd be that stupid.

I make sure I back up the system a lot more often now.  I had let the backups get quite stale at that point which is why it was a much bigger problem than it should have been.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 9:09 am

ChuckyG

What has happened to this board all the 'the's have all gone astrayed being spelt as 'the'?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 9:34 am

ChuckyG

What has happened to this board all the 'the's have all gone astrayed being spelt as 'the'?

check the date

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 11:33 am

check the date
Inthe inbetween time, I have realised, but at the time of post for me it was "Quote from: Philip Eno on Today at 04:09:41 PM" and it  past Midday for me so it was past the fool playing stage. I hope all is fine today!

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:16 pm

Inthe inbetween time, I have realised, but at the time of post for me it was "Quote from: Philip Eno on Today at 04:09:41 PM" and it  past Midday for me so it was past the fool playing stage. I hope all is fine today!

yeah, the only problem with April Fools jokes on the web, is you have to know what the site considers the time to be. Since inthe00s lets you pick your time, it's hard to know I consider everything to revolve around ESDT (Eastern Standard Daylight Time). 

it was a quickie anyways... I couldn't think of what to do this year, and was preoccupied all week with various errands.  I had to get a windsheild replaced this morning, which also kept me from doing much before I got to work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/01/05 at 1:25 pm

yeah, the only problem with April Fools jokes on the web, is you have to know what the site considers the time to be. Since inthe00s lets you pick your time, it's hard to know I consider everything to revolve around ESDT (Eastern Standard Daylight Time). 

it was a quickie anyways... I couldn't think of what to do this year, and was preoccupied all week with various errands.  I had to get a windsheild replaced this morning, which also kept me from doing much before I got to work.
What if any was done last year?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:32 pm

What if any was done last year?

I don't think I did anything on inthe00s.  I posted some funny news links on amiright, can't remember what, something about Weird Al buying parodies from submittors.  Probably better than this years links.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 1:36 pm

I don't think I did anything on inthe00s.  I posted some funny news links on amiright, can't remember what, something about Weird Al buying parodies from submittors.  Probably better than this years links.

Weird Al Yankovic has agreed to preform a parody submitted to this site in the past month. This is an amIright first! Legally I can't reveal which one yet, so you'll just have to be patient.

Written By: joedeertae on 04/01/05 at 2:01 pm

Hey Chucky? Do you wear sunglasses at night?  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 2:13 pm

Hey Chucky? Do you wear sunglasses at night?  8)

sometimes... but I drive my wife nuts singing the song

Eurasian Eyes is a much better Hart song

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 4:01 pm

Are you a wrestling fan?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 4:14 pm

Are you a wrestling fan?

no.  my brother is, I tried watching it in the 80s, but found it not my cup of tea.  about the only type of sport I watch, is football.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/01/05 at 4:21 pm

I have a question. Do you read the parodies on amiright? Do you ever leave comments?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/01/05 at 4:25 pm

I have a question. Do you read the parodies on amiright? Do you ever leave comments?

I skim them.  There's so many submitted (over 60 today) that I couldn't possibly read them all every day, I'd never get any work done.

I usually only comment if something is wrong from a technical stand point (profanity, missing stuff, etc)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/05 at 6:19 am

Regarding:

352079 Posts in 8485 Topics by 2248 Members
Latest Member: Ria

Does it mean with recorded 352079 Postings for the 374175, that there has been 19396 deleted, withdrawn or pulled posts?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/03/05 at 10:14 am

Regarding:

352079 Posts in 8485 Topics by 2248 Members
Latest Member: Ria

Does it mean with recorded 352079 Postings for the 374175, that there has been 19396 deleted, withdrawn or pulled posts?

no.  it means that 374175 posts were in the old versions of the software and can't be responded to anymore.  352079 posts have been made since last April when we upgraded to the new software, so about 720,000 posts or so.  Combined, I bet we'll hit one million posts by the end of the year, or maybe January of next year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/03/05 at 10:24 am

no.  it means that 374175 posts were in the old versions of the software and can't be responded to anymore.  352079 posts have been made since last April when we upgraded to the new software, so about 720,000 posts or so.  Combined, I bet we'll hit one million posts by the end of the year, or maybe January of next year.
Thank you.

Written By: ADH13 on 04/20/05 at 6:02 pm

Can you please tell us what is going on with Howard? ???

I know he mentioned he had been warned right at the time the "Ask the Ladies" and "Ask the Guys" threads were nixed...  and it looked to me like he had listened to the warning and cleaned up his posts.  (I went to his profile and looked at the last 50 posts, and they were all reasonably clean, in my opinion).  Then suddenly he was gone.

Is it permanent or temporary?  I hope it's temporary.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/05 at 3:00 pm

What is the best way to enlarge an image without losing the picture quality?

Written By: warrenbutler on 05/29/05 at 10:40 pm

Hey
What happened to a couple of my parodies - Did you take them off, if so why?
By the way, name is Wozzyhonk :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 2:34 pm

Hey
What happened to a couple of my parodies - Did you take them off, if so why?
By the way, name is Wozzyhonk :o

I don't recall removing any of your parodies.  You'll need to give me more info in order to know which parodies you're talking about.

Written By: YWN on 05/31/05 at 3:29 pm

So Chuck...

Which one of us is your faaaaaavoriiiite?  ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 6:49 pm

So Chuck...

Which one of us is your faaaaaavoriiiite?  ::)

I ain't tellin... phblt!

Written By: Apricot on 05/31/05 at 7:01 pm

So Chuck...

Which one of us is your faaaaaavoriiiite?

It's me, I know it.

Anyway, Chuck..

What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he's hungry, and the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money and his daddy's gone somewhere smoking rock now in and out of lockdown, I ain't got a job now?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/31/05 at 7:02 pm

It's me, I know it.

Anyway, Chuck..

What would you do if your son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he's hungry, and the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money and his daddy's gone somewhere smoking rock now in and out of lockdown, I ain't got a job now?

Well, to you it's just a good time, but for me, this is what I call life, mmm

Written By: Apricot on 05/31/05 at 7:06 pm

Come on, Chucky, what would you do?

Written By: YWN on 05/31/05 at 7:22 pm

Apricot, that question was way too obvious.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/05 at 10:19 am

It's me, I know it.

Anyway, Chuck..

If I were Chucky, I would answer this with a question: Do you stay up all night thinking things like this up?  :D

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 11:16 am

It's me, I know it.

Anyway, Chuck..

which is it, is he going to sleep with a man, or did he leave to smoke rock?

I'd say stop listening to junk like City High, and put on some Duran Duran.  Duran Duran is always the answer.

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/01/05 at 2:40 pm

what is you favourite song.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/05 at 2:51 pm

which is it, is he going to sleep with a man, or did he leave to smoke rock?

I'd say stop listening to junk like City High, and put on some Duran Duran.  Duran Duran is always the answer.

First, I don't really listen to City High. We just mocked that song for a school project about London Prostitution.

Anyway, YOU are the one who has to sleep with a man for a little bit of money to feed your son.. your son's DADDY is the one who's off smoking rock now.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/05 at 2:53 pm

If I were Chucky, I would answer this with a question: Do you stay up all night thinking things like this up?  :D

Naw, I got to bed around 2, 2:30.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 3:43 pm

First, I don't really listen to City High. We just mocked that song for a school project about London Prostitution.

mocking a song is always a good thing.  pop music shouldn't be treated like gospel (take note Coolio).

Anyway, YOU are the one who has to sleep with a man for a little bit of money to feed your son.. your son's DADDY is the one who's off smoking rock now.

Generally my son's daddy would be me, so I still fail to see how I'm off smoking crack instead of feeding the kid.

I'd think they were talking about an adopted son maybe, but the wording leaves it way too vague.

But sleeping in the same bed with another man isn't a big deal.  They didn't say I had to have sex with him.  So yes, I'd do that.  Cuddling is right out though.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 3:48 pm

what is you favourite song.

hard to say... I listen to too much music to pick just one.  Maybe a favorite song by a performer, and even that's tough.

Crowded House for instance.  I can easily say "World Where You Live"

Duran Duran on the other hand... ooh... tough.  I'll say "I Take the Dice"  ask me again, I might say "(I'm Just Looking For) Cracks in the Pavement"

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/05 at 3:50 pm

mocking a song is always a good thing.  pop music shouldn't be treated like gospel (take note Coolio).

That it is... this year alone, we've mocked +5 pop songs in school projects.. and aced all of them.  ;D

Generally my son's daddy would be me, so I still fail to see how I'm off smoking crack instead of feeding the kid.

I'd think they were talking about an adopted son maybe, but the wording leaves it way too vague.

If ya hear the song, it's the female dancer who sings this part.. I just wanted to see your reaction. And this was it:

But sleeping in the same bed with another man isn't a big deal.  They didn't say I had to have sex with him.  So yes, I'd do that.  Cuddling is right out though.

That was an awesome response, man.  ;D

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/01/05 at 4:13 pm

hard to say... I listen to too much music to pick just one.  Maybe a favorite song by a performer, and even that's tough.

Crowded House for instance.  I can easily say "World Where You Live"

Duran Duran on the other hand... ooh... tough.  I'll say "I Take the Dice"  ask me again, I might say "(I'm Just Looking For) Cracks in the Pavement"
i like a bit of slade/ac.dc and most old rock n roll.
its nice to see Duran Duran make a come Back.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 5:39 pm

i like a bit of slade/ac.dc and most old rock n roll.
its nice to see Duran Duran make a come Back.

I brought a friend of mine to their concert at Mohegan Sun last month, the wife new it wouldn't be possible due to the baby for her to go (she's rather bummed out about it).  My friend totally hated them before he met me in 1991 or so.  I've been singing their praises (ha!) for about 15 years to him, and he's slowly come around.  He's about ten years older, so he tends to prefer the older classic rock, though he still listens to new stuff (like NIN, and some dance crap I can't stand). 

When he saw DD2, he was pretty impressed at the amount of hits they had, not to mention the show was pretty good.  The anime cartoon they show during "Careless Memories" was excellent, I ended up watching more of that than the performance, which is a shame, since I've always found their performance of that song to be the best live (with the acoustic performance of "Save A Prayer" from the Third Secret Policeman's ball a close second).

Written By: YWN on 06/01/05 at 6:13 pm

What client do you use for this message board and amiright.com?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 7:00 pm

I'm using Firefox as my client.

Do you mean server?  I have two servers, both are running Linux.  I'm going to be replacing the one that runs inthe70s,80s,90s and amiright with a new one this month, since it's getting old and unreliable.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/01/05 at 7:01 pm

I'm using Firefox as my client.

Do you mean server?  I have two servers, both are running Linux.  I'm going to be replacing the one that runs inthe70s,80s,90s and amiright with a new one this month, since it's getting old and unreliable.

Sounds cool. Benefits?

Written By: YWN on 06/01/05 at 7:22 pm

I'm talking about the program that lets you build the web page.  For an amateur, it would be freewebs or AOL hometown.  I don't know for sure what firefox is.

Written By: YWN on 06/01/05 at 7:22 pm

Maddox uses Xmission.  :)

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/05 at 7:24 pm

This board is Simple Machines forums.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 9:07 pm

I'm talking about the program that lets you build the web page.  For an amateur, it would be freewebs or AOL hometown.  I don't know for sure what firefox is.

firefox is a browser, a replacement for Internet Explorer, the evil bane of the Internet.

I use a text editor called Multi-Edit to create the web pages for the sites, and write custom scripts in Perl, PHP and some MySQL.  This site (inthe00s) uses Simple Machines, which is YaBB under a new name.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/05 at 9:09 pm

That it is... this year alone, we've mocked +5 pop songs in school projects.. and aced all of them.  ;D

cool... I hope you posted them all to amiright

If ya hear the song, it's the female dancer who sings this part.. I just wanted to see your reaction. And this was it:

That was an awesome response, man.  ;D

thanks, I was trying!  I guess since the person singing the song was female, it would make a little more sense.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/01/05 at 10:05 pm

firefox is a browser, a replacement for Internet Explorer, the evil bane of the Internet.

I love Firefox! I just wonder why when I updated it all the contents of my favorites folder were lost?  :-\\

Written By: YWN on 06/01/05 at 10:43 pm

I use Internet Explorer.  Really, I don't see any major differences between browsers.  ISP, however, makes a lot of difference.  I seem to have a virus or two because I keep getting error messages when I want to go to a site.  Plus, now I have four messages that pop up every time I turn the computer on.

I did some detective work to find out that somebody from Illinois has been trying to hack into my computer.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 06/02/05 at 12:28 am

Ohhh, that song is eating my brain.... :o

~Beth

Written By: Apricot on 06/02/05 at 5:32 am

I did some detective work to find out that somebody from Illinois has been trying to hack into my computer.

Pssst, you ain't seen nothin'.

PEOPLE WHO HAVE TRIED TO HACK MY COMPUTER:

Rivals of my internet provider
Nerd In Iowa
Nerd In Florida
Texas State Government
North Koreans
Chinese
South African Internet Provider

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 06/02/05 at 5:36 am

my computer gets attacked on a daily basis, but we have this really good anti-virus and internet protection shield that blocks any sort of attack. So far, only one has managed to get through and that was before we had the shield updated weeks ago

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/05 at 8:51 am

I use Internet Explorer.  Really, I don't see any major differences between browsers.  ISP, however, makes a lot of difference.  I seem to have a virus or two because I keep getting error messages when I want to go to a site.  Plus, now I have four messages that pop up every time I turn the computer on.

That right there is the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox.

IE has a little thing called ActiveX built into it.  It's VERY unstable, and easily exploited.  It's also the most popular browser, used by a lot of people who don't know much about computers.  Hence, plenty of viruses you can pick up just from surfing.  I can't tell you how often I see "MySearch" toolbars installed in browsers by people who have no idea how it got there. I just put together a used computer for my mother, and the first thing I did was remove all the shortcuts to Internet Explorer and Outlook.  I turned on automatic updates for the OS, so hopefully she won't need to ever launch it again.

If you installed any P2P software like Kazaa, you've probably got cydoor or some other really nasty crap installed on your machine that is popping up ads for you. Technically not a virus, since you willingily installed it, and it's disclosed in the End User License Agreement that no one ever reads.  Good luck ridding your system of it, it's near impossible to clean some of that stuff out.  I've dealt with it a few times, and formatting the hard drive and re-installing everything is probably the safest thing to do if it gets real bad.

Written By: robocop 2000th on 06/02/05 at 9:51 am

I brought a friend of mine to their concert at Mohegan Sun last month, the wife new it wouldn't be possible due to the baby for her to go (she's rather bummed out about it).  My friend totally hated them before he met me in 1991 or so.  I've been singing their praises (ha!) for about 15 years to him, and he's slowly come around.  He's about ten years older, so he tends to prefer the older classic rock, though he still listens to new stuff (like NIN, and some dance crap I can't stand). 

When he saw DD2, he was pretty impressed at the amount of hits they had, not to mention the show was pretty good.  The anime cartoon they show during "Careless Memories" was excellent, I ended up watching more of that than the performance, which is a shame, since I've always found their performance of that song to be the best live (with the acoustic performance of "Save A Prayer" from the Third Secret Policeman's ball a close second).
The best song i liked what ac.dc done was highway to hell.
i am fond of a bit of dance music some time my self and the usual techno but after listening to techno music
after awhile it all sounds all the same to me.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/02/05 at 9:55 am

That right there is the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox.

IE has a little thing called ActiveX built into it.  It's VERY unstable, and easily exploited.  It's also the most popular browser, used by a lot of people who don't know much about computers.  Hence, plenty of viruses you can pick up just from surfing.  I can't tell you how often I see "MySearch" toolbars installed in browsers by people who have no idea how it got there. I just put together a used computer for my mother, and the first thing I did was remove all the shortcuts to Internet Explorer and Outlook.  I turned on automatic updates for the OS, so hopefully she won't need to ever launch it again.

If you installed any P2P software like Kazaa, you've probably got cydoor or some other really nasty crap installed on your machine that is popping up ads for you. Technically not a virus, since you willingily installed it, and it's disclosed in the End User License Agreement that no one ever reads.  Good luck ridding your system of it, it's near impossible to clean some of that stuff out.  I've dealt with it a few times, and formatting the hard drive and re-installing everything is probably the safest thing to do if it gets real bad.
I downloaded Bearshare and fortunately all thier pop up crap meeses with Exploere, which I don't use since you told me about Firefox :) Still, what's with it...when I installed updates I lost all in my favotites folder :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/05 at 11:30 am

I downloaded Bearshare and fortunately all thier pop up crap meeses with Exploere, which I don't use since you told me about Firefox :) Still, what's with it...when I installed updates I lost all in my favotites folder :-\\

not sure.  I've upgraded everytime a new patch comes out and i didn't lose mine, and I have tons of bookmarks.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/03/05 at 12:38 pm

When is your wife due to have her baby?  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/03/05 at 1:15 pm

not sure.  I've upgraded everytime a new patch comes out and i didn't lose mine, and I have tons of bookmarks.
It must be time for me to crash my computer again :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/05 at 4:08 pm

When is your wife due to have her baby?  :)

July 30th. 

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/05 at 4:09 pm

Hey, I gotta ask you, you might be able to help:

I really like that song "Come Undone".. now, correct me if I'm wrong, but did not Duran Duran do that? Knowing you like Duran Duran, could you recommend some songs similar to "Come Undone"? I've heard some other Duran Duran, but I didn't like it... I think it's the style that song is done in I like.. any others like it?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/05 at 7:41 pm

I really like that song "Come Undone".. now, correct me if I'm wrong, but did not Duran Duran do that? Knowing you like Duran Duran, could you recommend some songs similar to "Come Undone"? I've heard some other Duran Duran, but I didn't like it... I think it's the style that song is done in I like.. any others like it?

It is Duran Duran, it's off their self-titled album from 1993, called the Wedding Album by the fans.  "Ordinary World" is also from that album, and pretty similar (a little more laid back).  I'm not sure they did too many songs that sound like that one though.  The Notorious album had a lot of darker sounding songs on it, which might appeal to you if you like the moody sound of the song.  "All She Wants Is" has a lot of bass like "Come Undone", but sounds nothing like it, the second side of the album "Big Thing" is really good and never played on the radio, and might also appeal to you if liked "Come Undone".

"Out of My Mind" on the Meddazland album (and Saint Soundtrack) is probably the closest in sound I can think of. Meddazland is also their best album after 1993 until this year's Astronaut.  "Playing With Uranium" on Pop Trash also comes to mind, but most of that album is a wash, I liked half of it, and even some of the stuff I like from it, isn't that great ("Mars Meets Venus" is a lot of fun on that album, but sounds nothing like "Come Undone").

"Come Undone" was what helped keep me a fan of the band, especially after the abysmal Liberty album.  I like a few of those songs now, but at the time I thought it was awful.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/05 at 7:54 pm

I also recommend "Beautiful Colors" which is not released yet (I think)

http://www.duranduran.no/

you can download it from this site under "demos".  HIGHLY recomended.

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/05 at 8:30 pm

I'll check them out.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/03/05 at 10:05 pm

I have always wondered what the G stands for...

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/04/05 at 5:36 pm

I have always wondered what the G stands for...

my last name, Grosvenor... not much of a surprise if you see the copyright notice on any of the sites (except this one, which doesn't have one)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/05 at 12:07 pm

I thought that I would bump this thread up.

Hey Chucky,

How many websites do you have total?

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/05/05 at 7:39 pm

I thought that I would bump this thread up.

Hey Chucky,

How many websites do you have total?

hard to say... less than 20, more than 5. 

I run the official site for a legendary animator called Bruce Bickford, I designed it and put it all together for him (he has no computer, access to one, or desire to use one).  Does it count as my site?  not really, but then again all the work on it is done by me.

I host a couple sites for friends, that I also have built or at least started... so I'm not sure if those count as mine (my involvement is certainly less there).  I've also got Neal's website now.

There's seven sites I list on my personal homepage, as sites I tell people about:

http://chuckyg.com/websites.shtml

but that list doesn't include whatfreaks or the messageboard for it, or the messageboard for the Worcester, Mass site which now is seperate from the main site

I have a couple domains registered and pointing to my server for ideas I planned on starting new sites around.  I might launch one or two websites in a few months if I still like the ideas.  One dealing with snowfall totals (yes, a trully geeky weather thing) and the other a campaign website for replacing the Happy Birthday song with something that is usable by anyone without royalties.  Definitely hobby level stuff though, not even stuff I can see running ads on to recoup the costs of running them.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/13/06 at 11:44 am

with the recent spat of ask me threads, figured I'd bump this one and see if anyone has anything new to ask in the past 9 months or so

Written By: nally on 04/13/06 at 11:55 am

Good idea, Chuck. ;)

Can I ask you anything about Massachusetts?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/13/06 at 2:11 pm

Good idea, Chuck. ;)

Can I ask you anything about Massachusetts?

there's a seperate thread for that, but you can if you like

Written By: nally on 04/13/06 at 3:54 pm

there's a seperate thread for that, but you can if you like

Very well. :) I know there's a separate thread...but since you're from Mass., I thought I'd ask here. ;)

Likewise, I know there's a separate thread entitled "Ask Me About California", but I didn't start that one; I'm all open to answering questions on the one I started.

So...have ya ever been outside the state of Massachusets? If so... have you seen California?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/06 at 4:49 pm

Hey Chucky, ever visit Vermont?

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/06 at 10:52 am

Very well. :) I know there's a separate thread...but since you're from Mass., I thought I'd ask here. ;)

Likewise, I know there's a separate thread entitled "Ask Me About California", but I didn't start that one; I'm all open to answering questions on the one I started.

So...have ya ever been outside the state of Massachusets? If so... have you seen California!

I've been to San Francisco on business.  On the last day of my trip, I kind of made my own self-guided walking tour, went through the business district to the bay bridge, walked along the road that runs along the bay up to the piers, up to Coit Tower (even saw a couple parrots in the trees, figured they were just someone's esacaped pets, didn't know there was a whole flock!) and then back through the China town district.  Lots of fun, lots of walking.

I've been to Texas twice (Houston and Midland/Odessa), Roswell New Mexico, Orlando Florida (guess why!), Northen Virginia Washington DC (school trip with the computer club), Manhattan a few times, Conneticut/Rhode Island/New Hampshire I've been to more times than I can count.  I went to Quebec with my french class in high school. Bermuda on my honeymoon.

Maine, I went to Kitterey once a couple years ago for a couple hours.  Vermont, I've only driven through small parts of it. It's odd I haven't spent more time in those states, seeing as they're so close, but yet I never really have spent any time in them.  My wife and her parents drive through Vermont every year (doing the tourist thing) and have spent several vacations in Maine. 

Before he was "elected", Bush had travelled to fewer foreign countries than I have visited so far.  Pretty lame considering the family wealth he has.  As Lewis Black put it, most people make it to at least Canada or Mexico just on a dare.  Considering he spent a lot of time in Massachusetts and Texas, both within a day's drive of this country's border, that's pretty sad of him.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 11:38 am

Hey Chucky I saw a pic of you wearing sunglasses, and you looked kinda like Doc Ock from Spider-Man in it.  Thats not really a question..

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/06 at 12:45 pm

[quote author=♫ |١/|@

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 12:48 pm

weird... I don't see why you would make that connection

Well I think it was your hair too, not just the sunglasses, and the expression you had.  I'm talking about Doc Ock from Spider-Man 2 not the comics(who looks quite a bit different from the movie), i.e. Alfred Molina.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/06 at 1:08 pm

[quote author=♫ |١/|@

Written By: ThaConqueror on 04/16/06 at 7:36 am

Hey Chucky, how come I've e-mailed you twice to add that little thing at the top of my parody author page, and it's been more than a month in both cases, and nothing's happened? Did I do something wrong? It didn't say it couldn't be sent, so is there something wrong with your e-mail thing? Or don't you check your Junk E-mail box often? Please help. Then not only could I add that thing, but I could activate the comments on the parodies that don't have them activated, and whatever else I can think of.
            Chars muchly.
                              the_conqueror_of_parodies
                                  a.k.a. bobpiecheese ;D

P.S. "Chars muchly" is just another way of saying "thanx", okay?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/06 at 4:17 pm

Hey Chucky, how come I've e-mailed you twice to add that little thing at the top of my parody author page, and it's been more than a month in both cases, and nothing's happened? Did I do something wrong? It didn't say it couldn't be sent, so is there something wrong with your e-mail thing? Or don't you check your Junk E-mail box often? Please help. Then not only could I add that thing, but I could activate the comments on the parodies that don't have them activated, and whatever else I can think of.
            Chars muchly.
                              the_conqueror_of_parodies
                                  a.k.a. bobpiecheese ;D

P.S. "Chars muchly" is just another way of saying "thanx", okay?

I get behind on those sometimes, I'm not sure if I have it (probably).  Usually I don't respond to them, I just put them up.  If you send it to me in a private message I might be more likely to get it done as well.

as for comments on parordies that aren't flagged to allow them, the only way to do that is to resubmit them and have me remove the old ones.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/17/06 at 9:07 am

HelloooChucky, could you let me know when your  InThe00's teeshirts are being produced - I would like to buy one.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/06 at 9:38 am

HelloooChucky, could you let me know when your  InThe00's teeshirts are being produced - I would like to buy one.

I'm gonna make a huge post about that when it happens.  I waited until I had a few things sorted out with the logo and mottos, etc.  Now that's done, it's just a matter of spending an evening on it.

Written By: karen on 04/28/06 at 5:28 am

What exactly is Neal looking at in that photo?

<-------------

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/28/06 at 6:42 am

What exactly is Neal looking at in that photo?

<-------------

nothin in particular.  he's teething, so he licks his gums to comfort himself.  I can actually trigger him into doing it (most of the time) by licking my own lips

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 9:00 pm

ARE his gums yummy?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/30/06 at 3:31 pm

ARE his gums yummy?

maybe.  I think they ache more than they taste like anything

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/01/06 at 12:59 pm

Hi Chuck ... I never knew this thread existed until about 20 minutes ago, or so .... honest!. I've glanced through around 8 of the 11 or so pages. Noticed your online right now, though you'll probably have gone b4 I finish this. I'm sure I've heaps of Q's for you.

1. I hope this isn't impertinent / rude ... but .. do you / can you make any money out of running a site such as this ??

This site doesn't make me any money, it actually loses a little every month.  The other sites (amiright, inthe80s) make me a little extra money past the cost of running them.  not enough to leave my day job. Though at one point in 2000 I thought it might, and actually did leave my day job for a brief period of time.  Got really bored trying to build a ton of new sites, watched the ad money dry up as the dot com crash happened, so I went back to work full time.

2. Some of the people here seem quite concerned about your rankings in the top 1000. It seems from your response several days ago, you aren't. Personally, I reckon your site will thrive : a) regardless of whether 'big-boards' continues to list it in their 'top 1000' .... & b) regardless of whether it's top 500 or just inside. Seems they're on a noble crusade on your behalf. Personally, I reckon they should just 'chill out', make fewer, but more witty / quality posts. It's no big deal to me if they want / need (are addicted)  to post ... the world can accommodate 'post -whores' and 'post-misers'. It just seems their crusade is somewhat pointless, looking at the figures, and where your site tends to place.

yeah, I just thre up there out of curiosity more than anything else.  It gives me some extra stats to review on their site and keeps my ranking current.  I really don't have any "we need to reach X" type of goals.

3. Is your server at home... i.e; is the whole site being run from your private residence, or from an office. Also, how many computers are involved / what are their specs ??

two servers, one for inthe00s and some small sites for friends, one for all the rest.  I rent them from EV1 Servers.  I'm not even sure what the specs are, they aren't real powerful and I've thought about upgrading quite a bit.

4. I thought I used to be able to see 'marquee's' being performed in the preview option .... certainly, it seems that has now gone. Is that the same for everyone else, or is it just my imagination (running away with me .....).

huh? no idea what you are talking about

5. What are you hoping to achieve (if anything ) with this site ?? Is it just a hobby ??

just a hobby.  not really sure what the point is anymore

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/02/06 at 4:33 am

Hi Chucky, sometime ago your avatar was a pic of a smart classic car, I'm sure I read somewhere on this site you own a classic car business - or have I dreamt it?   :-[ ;D :-[

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 6:12 am

Hi Chucky, sometime ago your avatar was a pic of a smart classic car, I'm sure I read somewhere on this site you own a classic car business - or have I dreamt it?  :-[ ;D :-[

dreamt it.  I do have a 1989 Mustang, but no car business. 

Written By: rich1981 on 05/02/06 at 11:10 pm

What kind of computer do you use?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/03/06 at 4:33 pm

What are some of your favorite songs?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/03/06 at 7:07 pm

What kind of computer do you use?

Windows XP machine.. Intel processor... dual monitor display.  I'm not a gamer per say, so I don't need anything too high powered, so I just buy what ever is reasonably priced for processors and motherboards.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/03/06 at 7:08 pm

What are some of your favorite songs?

that would be a very large list. 

http://www.inthe80s.com/toptens/topten1.shtml

here's my favorite 80s stuff

Written By: Step-chan on 05/04/06 at 11:23 am

that would be a very large list. 

http://www.inthe80s.com/toptens/topten1.shtml

here's my favorite 80s stuff

WOW! It defintely is. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/06 at 6:51 pm

Hey Chucky,

Is there any way you can put a link to the karma list on the top of the page (next to the links to the arcade, etc.)?

Thanks

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/06/06 at 7:01 pm

Hey Chucky,

Is there any way you can put a link to the karma list on the top of the page (next to the links to the arcade, etc.)?

Thanks

I guess... I didn't know people were checking it all that often

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/06 at 5:34 am

Are you originally from Worcester, or did you move there from a galaxy far, far away.  I always thought
Worcester kinda cool. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/11/06 at 8:38 am

Are you originally from Worcester, or did you move there from a galaxy far, far away.  I always thought
Worcester kinda cool. 

I was born in Worcester.. lived there until I was three, and then the family moved out to Auburn, where I still am, in the house my Grandmother and her brothers built in the 1920s.

Boston feels like a galaxy far, far away at times... except for when I work near it (which seems to be every five or six years)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/06 at 11:32 am

I guess... I didn't know people were checking it all that often

Thanks, Chucky.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/06 at 12:30 am

Yesterday saw 2104 posts sent here on inthe00s, is that a record?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:23 am

What are some of the daily tasks you have to do to maintain this board for all of us (of which I'm very grateful)? Will there be a point when you hand the reigns to someone else/oh I dunno, even sell the domain name? Will inthe00s.com go on forever (stupid question, I know)?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/17/06 at 12:28 pm

Yesterday saw 2104 posts sent here on inthe00s, is that a record?

I think the site has seen more posts in a day than that.  two years ago around this time, that was closer to the norm I think

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/17/06 at 12:34 pm

What are some of the daily tasks you have to do to maintain this board for all of us (of which I'm very grateful)? Will there be a point when you hand the reigns to someone else/oh I dunno, even sell the domain name? Will inthe00s.com go on forever (stupid question, I know)?

mostly just reading my messages and fixing things as they break.

inthe00s, if someone offered me some ridiculous sum of money, would probably be sold with the other "decade" sites I run.  Since I doubt that would ever occur, it'll probably run for as long as the revenue the ads bring in offsets the cost of running everything.  Even then, it would probably still continue unless the cost of running it was too great. I think in the past 11 years I've been doing the web stuff, only 3 or 4 of those years saw "profit". 

of course I'd probably cease to bother running it if something else replaced the need for it.  the example of what I'm referring to, would be my BBS I ran before the web became prevelant.  If something came along and replaced the Internet (like some sort of 3-d virtual world or something) sites like this would probably be abandoned.  Of course, in that unlikely event, I'd just transition to that new "medium"

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/06 at 1:20 pm

I think the site has seen more posts in a day than that.  two years ago around this time, that was closer to the norm I think

2005-03-30 - 2875

I didn't check all the past months, but that appeared to be the busiest...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/06 at 1:51 pm

2005-03-30 - 2875

I didn't check all the past months, but that appeared to be the busiest...
What a busy day that had must been?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/06 at 4:37 pm

What a busy day that had must been?

not really.  I'm sure it was the same person just posting about Subway over and over again

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/06 at 1:35 am

not really.  I'm sure it was the same person just posting about Subway over and over again
I understand.

Written By: Tam on 05/31/06 at 11:53 pm

Hey Chucky!
Might be more than one question embedded in this post. LOL

Just wondering what the server size is and how much it can actually hold?
How many topics go to archives everyday?
When you first started the board did new topics need to be approved?
Likewise, did replies need to be approved?
How many hours a day would being a moderator entail?
Is Bobo still a moderator?
How's the family?

LOL! Ok, I guess there was definitely more than one question!!! ;D 8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/06 at 7:34 am

Hey Chucky!
Might be more than one question embedded in this post. LOL

Just wondering what the server size is and how much it can actually hold?

It's an Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghz, with a 40 gig hard drive.  I think inthe00s is now occupying around 2 or 3 gigs.  I know the backup zip file I build of the database and the site itself is close to 1 gig compressed (and that was last month's, before I made large changes to the archive section, which increased the number of pages)

How many topics go to archives everyday?

none. all of them.  Right now, I have a script that copies every active post into a seperate datafile, and then builds the archive from those.  So anything posted since I made the switch to SMF is still in the database.  Everything else in the permanent archive because I didn't want to try and convert it into the SMF database.  I was going to try and make the conversion at the time, but was afraid problems might crop up that I wouldn't be aware of, and could make things messier.

When you first started the board did new topics need to be approved?

no.  didn't even have the ability to do that at first.  I swtiched to software that allowed that, and almost turned it on, but was afraid it would be overly restrictive and would keep the site from growing at all.

Likewise, did replies need to be approved?

no, that was never even an option

How many hours a day would being a moderator entail?

since I rely on the report tool now, it really doesn't require much time at all. when the board first had a moderator role back in 2000 or so, there were no report links and people didn't tend to tell you about something that didn't belong unless it was really bad. So it used to entail a few hours a day to be really thorough.  I guess the reliance on the report tool has made things a little less strict than they used to be, but there's way more posts than any one or two people could ever keep an eye on now, so that's why.

Is Bobo still a moderator?

no, he stopped logging in for several months, and I wasn't comfortable leaving his access that high if he wasn't going to visit anymore (incase some hacked his password).  I'll probably remove Hairspray's moderator access for the same reason.

How's the family?

fine... I've got a head cold right now, so everyone else might catch it, but no one did last time, so who knows

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 7:49 am

Are you thinking of asking anyone else to be a moderator then?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/01/06 at 10:34 am

Are you thinking of asking anyone else to be a moderator then?

not really.  I think things are kind of under control at the moment. I guess anything could happen though

Written By: Tam on 06/01/06 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for your replies Chucky!
I was just thinking about all those things at once - thought I would pm you but then figured you had to have an
Ask Me thread - found it and then posted away.

I asked because my sister is starting an Intranet community where she works and she was asking me how this one runs.
Obviously I don't run it so the best idea was to ask you.
Do you think an Intranet one would run the same as this Internet one?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/02/06 at 9:51 am

Thanks for your replies Chucky!
I was just thinking about all those things at once - thought I would pm you but then figured you had to have an
Ask Me thread - found it and then posted away.

I asked because my sister is starting an Intranet community where she works and she was asking me how this one runs.
Obviously I don't run it so the best idea was to ask you.
Do you think an Intranet one would run the same as this Internet one?

maybe... there's a huge intranet at the company I work for, but mostly people just use it for HR types of things, no real interest in going there to "hang out" or anything

Written By: Tam on 06/02/06 at 1:50 pm

maybe... there's a huge intranet at the company I work for, but mostly people just use it for HR types of things, no real interest in going there to "hang out" or anything

I hear ya - she works for a National Company that would benefit from the knowledge of other workers.
I guess it wouldn't be a hang out type thing, more like a "Here's what has worked for me".

Thanks again Chucky

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/06 at 5:46 pm

Do you know what happened to Hairspray?

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/03/06 at 5:48 pm

Do you know what happened to Hairspray?

She was having some issues in her off-line life that were keeping her from using a computer too often.  No idea what exactly, didn't ask, she didn't say anything.

I'm not sure when/if she will return, I'm probably going to drop her access level until the day comes when she thinks she could do it again.

Written By: karen on 06/29/06 at 11:31 am

Another question about the software used on the boards.

Did the option to insert quotes from recent messages whilst you are already typing a reply only start when you switched to the SMF software?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/06 at 2:18 pm

Did the option to insert quotes from recent messages whilst you are already typing a reply only start when you switched to the SMF software?

yes, I think so.

Written By: nally on 09/05/06 at 5:08 pm

yes, I think so.

You're probably right...I don't remember an "Insert Quote" button on the old board.

Written By: annonymouse on 09/09/06 at 9:03 pm

this may have already been asked but this topic is huge. how does one go about making there own website. and i mean a real website like this. not some crummy site. also, do you have to pay???

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/10/06 at 1:02 pm

this may have already been asked but this topic is huge. how does one go about making there own website. and i mean a real website like this. not some crummy site. also, do you have to pay???

it costs nothing to make a website.  The money comes when you have to pay someone to put it on one of their servers.  The cheapest hosting company that lets you run scripts that are needed for a site like this one, would be around $100 a year.  That doesn't let you have a really busy site like this one, but it's a start.  I rent an entire server (dedicated computer) for this site and a couple of others like amiwrong.com.  That costs around $130 a month.

Written By: annonymouse on 09/10/06 at 2:08 pm

it costs nothing to make a website.  The money comes when you have to pay someone to put it on one of their servers.  The cheapest hosting company that lets you run scripts that are needed for a site like this one, would be around $100 a year.  That doesn't let you have a really busy site like this one, but it's a start.  I rent an entire server (dedicated computer) for this site and a couple of others like amiwrong.com.  That costs around $130 a month.

how can you afford all that if you don't mind me asking. what do you do for a living? do you get paid for this website. if so, who pays you?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/10/06 at 4:56 pm

how can you afford all that if you don't mind me asking. what do you do for a living? do you get paid for this website. if so, who pays you?

The ads that run on the website come pretty close to covering the costs (and my other sites make up any difference).  Google Adsense.

You probably don't even notice the ads, because once you log in, they are no longer shown.  I don't make that much from the ones on the messageboard, the archive actually makes twice as much as the regular board (those are shown to everyone).

I'm a software engineer, I do a lot of different types of programming (not just the web stuff).

Written By: annonymouse on 09/10/06 at 6:17 pm

^ so the rest of us should probably just stick to myspace huh?

Written By: annonymouse on 09/10/06 at 6:57 pm

hey chuck. do you think you could make it so that we can see who has aplauded in the past on our profiles?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/11/06 at 8:38 am

hey chuck. do you think you could make it so that we can see who has aplauded in the past on our profiles?

not easily.  the log file that saves who applauds who, is very limited, I basically display the entire log as it is.  If someone had already made a modification that did it (that I could install) I suppose it would be possible.

Written By: annonymouse on 09/17/06 at 8:07 pm

do you plan on keeping the flash chat feature? nobody ever seems to be on it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/18/06 at 3:42 pm

do you plan on keeping the flash chat feature? nobody ever seems to be on it.

I do plan on keeping it. 

If people just left it running when they were doing other stuff on the site, people would join in more often.  I know I've been in there when there's been a half dozen people at least.  It's not often, but it does happen.

Written By: Tam on 09/19/06 at 3:55 pm

Hey Chucky!

I'm just wondering if these boards have a setting where each individual user can change the 'look' of the site. What I mean is, can we change the background colors etc... does it come with that feature and it is something you have disabled or is it not possible? (Or is it available and I am just missing it??) 8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/06 at 4:57 pm

Hey Chucky!

I'm just wondering if these boards have a setting where each individual user can change the 'look' of the site. What I mean is, can we change the background colors etc... does it come with that feature and it is something you have disabled or is it not possible? (Or is it available and I am just missing it??) 8)

it is possible, but I have it disabled.  For every theme that would be enabled, I'd have to make the changes for the custom stuff to each one.  Then I'd have to test each one.  So, that's why I disabled it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/06 at 10:05 am

Would XML Read be of any use for me?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/24/06 at 9:20 am

Would XML Read be of any use for me?

I know what XML is, but XML Read.  If it's some sort of RSS aggregator, it might be.  Inthe00s and amiright are the only two sites I have at the moment with RSS feeds

Written By: nally on 09/24/06 at 11:42 am

I know what XML is, but XML Read.  If it's some sort of RSS aggregator, it might be.  Inthe00s and amiright are the only two sites I have at the moment with RSS feeds

Okay...then what's an XML Feed and how does a person view one? Because I've noticed on the "Whos Online" list that it sometimes says that someone (guest or member) is "Viewing an XML feed"...and I have no idea what that is.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/24/06 at 8:42 pm

Okay...then what's an XML Feed and how does a person view one? Because I've noticed on the "Whos Online" list that it sometimes says that someone (guest or member) is "Viewing an XML feed"...and I have no idea what that is.

If you use firefox you'll see an orange icon in the title bar.  You can add it to your bookmarks folder, and it will give you the most recently added topics.

Written By: nally on 09/24/06 at 10:36 pm

If you use firefox you'll see an orange icon in the title bar.  You can add it to your bookmarks folder, and it will give you the most recently added topics.

So is that what an XML Feed is?

For the record, I sometimes (not all the time) use firefox; it depends on what computer I use from day to day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/06 at 2:09 am

Is that the orange icon with Latest Headlines?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/25/06 at 3:36 am

Is that the orange icon with Latest Headlines?

No, in the title bar, you'll see something that looks like a small square with 2 half circles going away from it.  It's all the way at the end of the web address.  If you click on that, it'll give you the option of adding a live bookmark.  If you say "ok", in the "bookmarks toolbar folder" you will see the title of this site and when you hover over it, all the threads that have new posts will come up.  Click on one, and it will take you to that thread.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/06 at 5:22 am

[quote author=

Written By: nally on 09/25/06 at 2:24 pm

Okay, I'm using Firefox right now; I see an orange icon in the title bar, but that's the application icon. :-\\

I also see an orange icon in the address bar, which seems to pertain to bookmarks. I click on it, and it gives me a dialog box in which I can "add a live bookmark."

Now what, if anything, does that have to do with XML Feeds?

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/25/06 at 3:04 pm

Okay, I'm using Firefox right now; I see an orange icon in the title bar, but that's the application icon. :-\\

I also see an orange icon in the address bar, which seems to pertain to bookmarks. I click on it, and it gives me a dialog box in which I can "add a live bookmark."

Now what, if anything, does that have to do with XML Feeds?

The one in the address bar is the one we're talking about.  If you go ahead and click the "live bookmark" it'll display the XML feed, you click the link in your bookmarks and it'll list the most recently updated topics. 

XML is used as a format for marking content in a descriptive way.  Instead of a <B> meaning bold, you create tags like <DESCRIPTION> which describe what that data represents, not what it looks like.

There are standalone products that do nothing but read XML feeds, Firefox happens to have it built in via the bookmark function.  If you for example, you follow a dozen different messageboards, and you want to write a script to track the latest topics, you could then just search for <topic> tags from each feed, instead of worrying about where in the HTML it is (which might change if the site updates it's appearance).

Written By: nally on 09/25/06 at 3:08 pm

The one in the address bar is the one we're talking about.  If you go ahead and click the "live bookmark" it'll display the XML feed, you click the link in your bookmarks and it'll list the most recently updated topics. 

XML is used as a format for marking content in a descriptive way.  Instead of a <B> meaning bold, you create tags like <DESCRIPTION> which describe what that data represents, not what it looks like.

There are standalone products that do nothing but read XML feeds, Firefox happens to have it built in via the bookmark function.  If you for example, you follow a dozen different messageboards, and you want to write a script to track the latest topics, you could then just search for <topic> tags from each feed, instead of worrying about where in the HTML it is (which might change if the site updates it's appearance).

Okay, thanks! :) O0

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/25/06 at 4:29 pm

Okay, thanks! :) O0

no problems... it reminded me I was going to do an RSS feed for amIwrong's quizzes.  So I just banged that out.

Written By: spaceace on 10/17/06 at 1:14 pm

Hey ChuckyG, dumb question.  How do you quote someone?  Everytime I've tried I mess it up. :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/17/06 at 3:02 pm

Hey ChuckyG, dumb question.  How do you quote someone?  Everytime I've tried I mess it up. :P

use the "reply with quote" link instead of reply.  Then, move your cursors below the text that appears.  You want a blank link after the /quote tag (which has square brackets around it)

Written By: kook on 10/24/06 at 9:26 am

do u have anything to do with cheese ?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/24/06 at 10:40 am

do u have anything to do with cheese ?

nope.  not spelt the same way either...

I am the big cheese around here though

Written By: annonymouse on 11/02/06 at 8:18 pm

hey chuck! where did you get your format for this site. i'm just curious because i just recently stumbled across the site insomniacgames.com and it's forum has the exact same format. again, i'm just curious. thanks!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/03/06 at 1:26 am

nope.  not spelt the same way either...

I am the big cheese around here though
I like cheese, especially on toast.!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/03/06 at 11:23 am

hey chuck! where did you get your format for this site. i'm just curious because i just recently stumbled across the site insomniacgames.com and it's forum has the exact same format. again, i'm just curious. thanks!

This is the default theme for the software I use.  Or at least it used to be.  They've moved onto a different theme, which doesn't work as well with the text links.  I hate having image "buttons" used for what should be text (like the reply link, start a new topic, etc).

I've customized it, made a new front page of the site, added new sections (chat, arcade, archives, etc), but didn't feel the need to make cosmetic changes.  It's enough work trying to keep it bug free without adding more stuff to look after.

Written By: annonymouse on 11/03/06 at 7:30 pm

This is the default theme for the software I use.  Or at least it used to be.  They've moved onto a different theme, which doesn't work as well with the text links.  I hate having image "buttons" used for what should be text (like the reply link, start a new topic, etc).

I've customized it, made a new front page of the site, added new sections (chat, arcade, archives, etc), but didn't feel the need to make cosmetic changes.  It's enough work trying to keep it bug free without adding more stuff to look after.

okay. thanks!

Written By: tomario on 11/05/06 at 1:15 pm

is gridiron fixed coz miami are playing the bears off the pitch

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/05/06 at 3:38 pm

is gridiron fixed coz miami are playing the bears off the pitch

I have no idea what you are talking about?

Written By: karen on 11/08/06 at 7:56 am

I have no idea what you are talking about?

I translated it as

Do you think the game of American Football fixed because in my (that is tomarios) opinion the team from Miami (Dolphins?) are playing much better than the (Chicago?) Bears yet the Bears are still winning?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/06 at 12:41 pm

I translated it as

Do you think the game of American Football fixed because in my (that is tomarios) opinion the team from Miami (Dolphins?) are playing much better than the (Chicago?) Bears yet the Bears are still winning?

still doesn't explain why it was posted here and not in some sports thread.  guess someone wasn't in the right forum at the time...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/06 at 12:56 pm

still doesn't explain why it was posted here and not in some sports thread.   guess someone wasn't in the right forum at the time...
Sorry, that I cannot help either.

Written By: karen on 11/09/06 at 3:30 am

still doesn't explain why it was posted here and not in some sports thread.   guess someone wasn't in the right forum at the time...

perhaps he just wanted your opinion?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/06 at 8:07 am

perhaps he just wanted your opinion?

possible.

ok, here it is:

If it ain't the Patriots, I don't know or care  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/09/06 at 2:15 pm

Will we able to use microphones in FlashChat? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/06 at 2:59 pm

Will we able to use microphones in FlashChat? ???

no, I doubt that we ever will.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/06 at 4:00 pm

no, I doubt that we ever will.

Ok just a thought

Written By: Tam on 11/17/06 at 12:28 am

Chucky? Just wondering if there is a way mods could kick some of the spiders when the board goes down from there being so many of them?

Written By: Howard on 11/17/06 at 6:21 am

You said at one time you were going to move the server,Is that still possible? ???

Written By: karen on 11/17/06 at 6:59 am

You said at one time you were going to move the server,Is that still possible? ???

Bought a new server thread

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/17/06 at 8:03 am

Chucky? Just wondering if there is a way mods could kick some of the spiders when the board goes down from there being so many of them?

I'd have to exclude them completely, I don't think I can select when to let them in.  I'd rather wait and see if the new server can handle it, and deal with another week of crashes than turn them away completely.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/06 at 2:12 pm

How's your wife doing? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/17/06 at 5:44 pm

How's your wife doing? ???

she's ok... just busy with the little one... he's starting to get up and walk around. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/17/06 at 5:46 pm

How's your little one doing?

Written By: Tam on 11/19/06 at 5:36 pm

Hey Chucky!

Here's one to ponder.

Since moving to the new server may be done over the Thanksgiving break, would this be a good time to archive some of the longer topics as well?

Tam

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/19/06 at 5:38 pm

Hey Chucky!

Here's one to ponder.

Since moving to the new server may be done over the Thanksgiving break, would this be a good time to archive some of the longer topics as well?

Tam

not sure.  it might not be neccesary with the new server, although I'm not sure when it'll be working, since it appears I'm having a hard time getting it set up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 1:09 am

Has the change over to the new server happened yet?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/24/06 at 7:01 am

Has the change over to the new server happened yet?

no.  working on it right now.  Probably will happen late tonight or tomorrow.

Right now I'm uploading the software and the archives.  That'll take three hours. 

Then I have to download the database of messages here and turn off this site.  Then I upload it to the new site and pray it works.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 12:00 pm

Right now I'm uploading the software and the archives.  That'll take three hours. 

Then I have to download the database of messages here and turn off this site.  Then I upload it to the new site and pray it works.
Of course you will give us a good warning before the big switch over.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/06 at 2:05 pm

So we won't be able to access this site? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/06 at 2:08 pm

So we won't be able to access this site? ???
For about three hours, but the only question is when?

Written By: Howard on 11/24/06 at 2:10 pm

For about three hours, but the only question is when?

He'll let us know

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 11:49 am

What is leet?  That word is in place of my number of post. ???

Written By: nally on 11/29/06 at 11:50 am

I think it's the number 1,337. I don't know why it shows up that way. ::)

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 11:51 am

I think it's the number 1,337. I don't know why it shows up that way. ::)

Oh okay.  Thanks Nally.  :)

Written By: nally on 11/29/06 at 11:52 am

Oh okay.  Thanks Nally.  :)

You're welcome, but I do not have a capitalized screenname.

Jeff

Written By: spaceace on 11/29/06 at 11:55 am

You're welcome, but I do not have a capitalized screenname.

Jeff

Sorry. Next time I'll be more careful.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 12:47 pm

Sorry. Next time I'll be more careful.

You just got told.

Written By: Howard on 11/29/06 at 3:11 pm

Where does the word leet originate from?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/29/06 at 3:14 pm

Where does the word leet originate from?  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

Written By: Howard on 11/29/06 at 3:17 pm

Thanks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/06 at 3:18 pm

Thanks

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/06 at 10:24 am

must be some funky thing with the software... usually when people write the number 1337 it's a hacker thing, they use to indicate Leet (as others pointed out), so whoever wrote the software must have thought it would be funny to code that in there I guess.

Written By: Howard on 11/30/06 at 2:06 pm

How come within the past few days I've been getting 404 Not Found?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/06 at 2:47 pm

How come within the past few days I've been getting 404 Not Found?

That was from the server move.

I downloaded everything on the site, and put it on a different computer, in a different state, with a different company.  Then I changed the address that the domain name points to.  The change in the address doesn't show up right away for some people, so they keep seeing the old site.  Since I removed the old site already, you're getting a 404 because nothing exists there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/06 at 3:19 pm

With this move of the server, I think I am learning more.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/06 at 5:20 pm

With this move of the server, I think I am learning more.

I know I have.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/06 at 6:23 am

Will a 404 Not Found happen again or Is that it? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/01/06 at 9:46 am

Will a 404 Not Found happen again or Is that it? ???

Once they stop occuring, that should be it.

you might see it for some other reason, I can't guarantee you'll never see on here, but the server move as a reason should be ruled out

Written By: Howard on 12/01/06 at 2:47 pm

Once they stop occuring, that should be it.

you might see it for some other reason, I can't guarantee you'll never see on here, but the server move as a reason should be ruled out

A 404 Not found happened on my laptop but It didn't occur on my father's computer downstairs,How was that possible? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/01/06 at 6:32 pm

A 404 Not found happened on my laptop but It didn't occur on my father's computer downstairs,How was that possible? ???

Your laptop may not recognize the new address of the site and it may take a while for it to catch on. 

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/01/06 at 7:31 pm

Your laptop may not recognize the new address of the site and it may take a while for it to catch on. 

You can do that method that Chucky's been posting everywhere.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/01/06 at 7:58 pm

You can do that method that Chucky's been posting everywhere.

I did that on my laptop and our desktop and it worked immediately.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/01/06 at 8:01 pm

I did that on my laptop and our desktop and it worked immediately.

Same at my dad's house... And for two other members (that I know of).

Written By: Howard on 12/02/06 at 6:33 am

But It was the same web address.

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 8:09 am

is it possible to embed videos on message boards? is it easy to add that fucntionality? because that woudl be a fun thing to be able to do.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/02/06 at 9:06 am

is it possible to embed videos on message boards? is it easy to add that fucntionality? because that woudl be a fun thing to be able to do.

that's one thing I don't think you can do

Written By: Tam on 12/02/06 at 10:22 am

Hey Chucky!

loki finally got on the boards after I sent him the step by steps to adjust his hosts file. ;)
Now he is having problems sending messages. He gets "cannot find member" or unable to send.
Any idea if this is just a glitch?

Thanks
Tam

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/02/06 at 10:38 am

Hey Chucky!

loki finally got on the boards after I sent him the step by steps to adjust his hosts file. ;)
Now he is having problems sending messages. He gets "cannot find member" or unable to send.
Any idea if this is just a glitch?

Thanks
Tam

I would guess he's just not typing the names right.  that shouldn't be affected by the move

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 10:57 am

karen (kkay) emailed me to tell me she's still having problems. if i PM you her email address can you talk her down like charlton heston talked down karen black, the flight attendant who had to fly the 747 in airport '75?

i already told her the whole thing about changing the etc. file and it worked for a while but she seems to be haiving problems again...

Written By: loki 13 on 12/02/06 at 11:19 am

I would guess he's just not typing the names right.  that shouldn't be affected by the move

I wasn't typing any names, I clicked on the personel message indicator in the lower left corner.
I also clicked on the reply after a message had been sent to me, both gave me an error code.
I had no problems doing this for other members.

I sent Tam a test PM by removing the music notes in her screen name, The error code didn't appear.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/02/06 at 1:52 pm

But It was the same web address.

That's not the address I was talking about.  While the site was down, Chucky had posted two new IP addresses to go along with the new server, that you could add to your "Hosts" file so that you could access the site.  I was saying that if you couldn't access the site, your computer probably hadn't recognized the new IP addresses yet.

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/02/06 at 6:10 pm

I am doing research for an 80's CD compilation and was wondering if you could possibly send me a list of the "In The 80's" Top 100 hits of the 1980's as of the current date? You can either post it, send it as a personal message or email it as a Word document.

Thanks in advance for all your help and keep listening to the great music.

"Top Gun" Terry Magnum
topgunterrymagnum@yahoo.com

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/02/06 at 6:13 pm

I am doing research for an 80's CD compilation and was wondering if you could possibly send me a list of the "In The 80's" Top 100 hits of the 1980's as of the current date? You can either post it, send it as a personal message or email it as a Word document.

"Top Gun" Terry Magnum

Wrong place man. Try a Billboard chart website? I know there's one website that somebody on here sent me a link of...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/02/06 at 6:14 pm

"Top Gun" Terry Magnum

I don't think Chucky has the time to do this. 

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 6:14 pm

Wrong place man. Try a Billboard chart website? I know there's one website that somebody on here sent me a link of...
if he (she?) posts in the 80s board mebbe someone'll help.

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/02/06 at 6:20 pm

I posted this because I know there's someone who runs the In The 80's website that keeps track of the Top 10 lists that people submit, I just don't know how to reach them. I already have a list of Billboard's Top hits of the 80's, but would like a list from the In The 80's website if possible since so many people have voted for their favorites on it.

::)

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 6:22 pm

I posted this because I know there's someone who runs the In The 80's website that keeps track of the Top 10 lists that people submit, I just don't know how to reach them. I already have a list of Billboard's Top hits of the 80's, but would like a list from the In The 80's website if possible since so many people have voted for their favorites on it.

you mean like a poll of what people's favorites are?

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/02/06 at 6:25 pm

Yeah, that's correct.

Written By: Tia on 12/02/06 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, that's correct.
they'd eat that up on the 80s thread. you should post a poll there.

PM me if you need pointers. this thread is more for administrative stuff, probably don't wanna clutter it up too much.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/02/06 at 10:26 pm

it's already on the site, if this isn't what you want, I have no idea what you're looking for.

http://www.inthe80s.com/toptens/toptensongs.shtml

the top 20 is the totaling of the submitted lists.

Written By: nally on 12/03/06 at 1:30 pm

Hey Chuck...

I notice that the Calendar (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=calendar) only goes up through this year...so this would be the final month of it. The drop-down listbox at the bottom only goes through this year too. So, what's gonna happen to this site, come next month, when 2007 starts? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:36 pm

Hey Chuck...

I notice that the Calendar (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=calendar) only goes up through this year...so this would be the final month of it. The drop-down listbox at the bottom only goes through this year too. So, what's gonna happen to this site, come next month, when 2007 starts? ???

The site will explode, thereby causing a full-scale nuclear war between us and the Soviets.

Written By: nally on 12/03/06 at 1:38 pm

The site will explode, thereby causing a full-scale nuclear war between us and the Soviets.

We'll leave it to Chuck himself to answer that one, thank you very much.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:39 pm

No, thank you very much.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 1:40 pm

The Soviets don't exist anymore because communism never works.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/03/06 at 1:40 pm

Hey Chuck...

Everything run by computers will fail and we'll go back to our primitive ways of the 1940's.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:41 pm

The Soviets don't exist anymore because communism never works.

Gee, don't tell Fidel that. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:41 pm

Everything run by computers will fail and we'll go back to our primitive ways of the 1940's.

SCORE!  Saddle shoes and swing music will come back.  Oh I can't wait!!  Can it be January 1st tomorrow?!?!?!?  Huh, can it?!?!?!?!?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 1:42 pm

Gee, don't tell Fidel that. 

Fidel wouldn't listen anyway, he's got too much hair in his ears.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/03/06 at 1:42 pm

SCORE!  Saddle shoes and swing music will come back.  Oh I can't wait!!  Can it be January 1st tomorrow?!?!?!?  Huh, can it?!?!?!?!?

I'm gonna start wearing a fedora, too.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:43 pm

Don't forget your zoot suit.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/03/06 at 1:44 pm

Don't forget your zoot suit.

Fedora and a zoot suit? I dunno... That wouldn't look so good.

Written By: Jessica on 12/03/06 at 1:45 pm

His name is ChuckyG, thankyouverymuch.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:46 pm

His name is ChuckyG, thankyouverymuch.

Thank you, Jessica.  We can't let a slight like that go unchecked.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 1:49 pm

Fedora and a zoot suit? I dunno... That wouldn't look so good.

You need a feather, a bling necklace, and a scepter and then you'll be good to go.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 1:50 pm

You need a feather, a bling necklace, and a scepter and then you'll be good to go.

Was there such a thing as big pimpin' in the '40s?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 1:51 pm

Dunno, wasn't there :D

Written By: Howard on 12/03/06 at 2:14 pm

It won't look good on you. ;D

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 2:41 pm

sweet! i'll finally get a chance to start working through all the shelves of canned goods i bought for Y2k.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/03/06 at 2:42 pm

sweet! i'll finally get a chance to start working through all the shelves of canned goods i bought for Y2k.

Did you get Pringles?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/03/06 at 2:51 pm

I hope you have plenty of soup.

Written By: Tia on 12/03/06 at 2:55 pm

I hope you have plenty of soup.
beans! which could be a problem if i can't open the bilco door on the fallout shelter for a while.

hmm, guess i could planned this better.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/03/06 at 6:11 pm

can we get back on topic please?

I have no idea what is going on with the calendar

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/03/06 at 6:12 pm

ok, I changed it.  strange they have that in the board settings

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/04/06 at 7:15 am

it's already on the site, if this isn't what you want, I have no idea what you're looking for.

I did see the listing of the Top 20, which is helpful, but what I was hoping is that whoever is keeping track of the top songs on the website has a list of the Top 100 songs from the submitted lists.

;D

Written By: nally on 12/04/06 at 11:34 am

can we get back on topic please?

I have no idea what is going on with the calendar

Thanks, Chuck. I only asked why the calendar only went up through this year...I didn't expect the other folks would make the thread take on a life of its own. ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/06 at 11:38 am

Thanks, Chuck. I only asked why the calendar only went up through this year...I didn't expect the other folks would make the thread take on a life of its own. ::)
Good, now I will be able to celebrate my birthday next year.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/06 at 3:48 pm

Why is that only guests can see ads? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/04/06 at 3:55 pm

Why is that only guests can see ads? ???

Do you WANT to see the ads?

If I run a large ad on every page, most of the time, it's someone who uses the site on a normal basis.  Those folks will ignore the ads.  It'll also irritate them more.

The people who tend to click on the ads, have hit the site from a search engine.  If I show the ads to only those people, they are more likely to click them.  A lower number of ads viewed with a higher number of clicks tends to also generate better money.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/06 at 4:06 pm

Just out of curiosity (and I'm too lazy to search for it), who are Mirrorshades and that other red admin?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/04/06 at 4:14 pm

Just out of curiosity (and I'm too lazy to search for it), who are Mirrorshades and that other red admin?

Mirrorshades is my alter-ego.  I usually use that account in Internet Explorer while using the ChuckyG account, so I can test stuff in both browsers.  I also use the Mirrorshades account so I can demote the account rank.  That way, if I need a regular user account, I just strip the Mirrorshades account of it's rank for a little while.

DaveyBoySmith is the other one, and that's someone I know outside of the board, who will keep an eye on things if I take a vacation.  He took care of stuff when the server got hacked two years ago during my honeymoon.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/04/06 at 4:15 pm

Nifty :)

Written By: Howard on 12/04/06 at 6:19 pm

Do you WANT to see the ads?

If I run a large ad on every page, most of the time, it's someone who uses the site on a normal basis.  Those folks will ignore the ads.  It'll also irritate them more.

The people who tend to click on the ads, have hit the site from a search engine.  If I show the ads to only those people, they are more likely to click them.  A lower number of ads viewed with a higher number of clicks tends to also generate better money.

No I don't want to see ads.

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/05/06 at 12:17 pm

I did see the listing of the Top 20, which is helpful, but what I was hoping is that whoever is keeping track of the top songs on the website has a list of the Top 100 songs from the submitted lists.

Could you please let me know if this is possible? Thanks.

:D

Written By: Tam on 12/07/06 at 10:44 am

Hello Again Chucky!

Simple question really....
What is Acme Widgets and why can a member log into the flashchat using it?
LOL!!

Tam

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/06 at 11:49 am

Hello Again Chucky!

Simple question really....
What is Acme Widgets and why can a member log into the flashchat using it?
LOL!!

Tam

????

no idea

Written By: topgunterrymagnum on 12/07/06 at 12:18 pm

Can I get my question answered, P-L-E-A-S-E?  ???

Written By: Tia on 12/07/06 at 12:31 pm

hey chucky, we were pming around back and forth and ash got told her inbox was full even though she has a lot fewer PMs than most of us, cuz she doesn't hoarde them the way we do. any idea why such a thing might occur?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/06 at 12:43 pm

Can I get my question answered, P-L-E-A-S-E?  ???

I don't have the time to play with that thing further. what is available is what is available

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/06 at 12:44 pm

hey chucky, we were pming around back and forth and ash got told her inbox was full even though she has a lot fewer PMs than most of us, cuz she doesn't hoarde them the way we do. any idea why such a thing might occur?

not sure, there might be a mailbox size limit depending on the number of posts?

Written By: Tia on 12/07/06 at 12:47 pm

not sure, there might be a mailbox size limit depending on the number of posts?
you mean the number received unanswered, or if you go a long time without checking it and a bunch of unread ones pile up? that would make sense actually.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/06 at 3:05 pm

I logged on and I got "Page Cannot Be Displayed",kept refreshing and still wound up with the same thing but then a few minutes later I got on.How many times should I keep on refreshing the page or should I just come back later if that ever happens again? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/07/06 at 3:30 pm

I logged on and I got "Page Cannot Be Displayed",kept refreshing and still wound up with the same thing but then a few minutes later I got on.How many times should I keep on refreshing the page or should I just come back later if that ever happens again? ???

I'd say just wait a minute and try again.  Hard to say, since so many people are still having issues that are clearly due to the new address for the server, and not the actual server itself.

Written By: Reign on 12/29/06 at 11:20 am

I Guess you own this FORUM !!!!
how does it feel to be the owner of www.inthe00s.com with so many members? and so many active posts daily? and activities?

Written By: Howard on 12/29/06 at 2:09 pm

Are new changes going to come about in 2007? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/29/06 at 6:09 pm

I Guess you own this FORUM !!!!
how does it feel to be the owner of www.inthe00s.com with so many members? and so many active posts daily? and activities?

exciting... tiring..

Proud I can keep a handle on most of it.  I've seen other forums come and go in the past 8 or 9 years I've had this messageboard (plus the 5 years I ran a BBS).  I know it burns out a lot of people that have to deal with keeping up with all the challenges

Written By: ThaConqueror on 01/06/07 at 7:15 pm

Hey Chucky, every time I try to enter my new album cover parody, I can get the amazon link to work, I fill in all the fields, then hit 'process', but the upload results page is blank when it's supposed to show the original and my parody. Why ain't it workin'? And my file is a JPEG.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/07 at 8:56 pm

Hey Chucky, every time I try to enter my new album cover parody, I can get the amazon link to work, I fill in all the fields, then hit 'process', but the upload results page is blank when it's supposed to show the original and my parody. Why ain't it workin'? And my file is a JPEG.

no idea.  You'll have to send an email with the amazon link and the jpg to my email address and I'll look into it further.

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/09/07 at 6:06 am

Are you God here? If so who are your Jesus and Apostles?

Written By: Howard on 01/09/07 at 6:24 am

Last Night when I replied to a thread,It told me to download Flashchat then it displayed an error message.So If flashchat doesn't work then Decades won't work?  ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/09/07 at 8:02 am

Are you God here? If so who are your Jesus and Apostles?

I'm the old Testament God... so those roles have yet to be needed

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/09/07 at 12:03 pm

Lol, I guess absolute power is kind of nice!

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/09/07 at 12:11 pm

Lol, I guess absolute power is kind of nice!

nice for me I suppose... if only it served some sort of purpose

Written By: Howard on 01/09/07 at 4:09 pm

nice for me I suppose... if only it served some sort of purpose

You're the man upstairs. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 9:36 am

Last year, you announced that the long threads will be chopped and the general aspect of long thread will disappear. Is there any news of when this will happen?

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/17/07 at 10:01 am

Last year, you announced that the long threads will be chopped and the general aspect of long thread will disappear. Is there any news of when this will happen?

I think the consenus was that people didn't want this to happen.  So I've put it off, and I'm just watching the system.  With the new server, performance issues seem to have declined, so I don't think it's necessary. 

Also, with additional moderators now, I don't have as much work to do when cleaning up a long thread if it gets a lot of garbage that needs removal.

So, this isn't going to happen, but I reserve the right to change that decision if needed at some later date. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/07 at 11:07 am

I think the consenus was that people didn't want this to happen.  So I've put it off, and I'm just watching the system.  With the new server, performance issues seem to have declined, so I don't think it's necessary. 

Also, with additional moderators now, I don't have as much work to do when cleaning up a long thread if it gets a lot of garbage that needs removal.

So, this isn't going to happen, but I reserve the right to change that decision if needed at some later date. 
Thank you very much on that update.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/07 at 4:43 pm

I see you've got rid of the newer smilies up above.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/07 at 10:53 pm

I see you've got rid of the newer smilies up above.

Just hadn't installed them yet.  They're back now.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/07 at 6:19 am

Just hadn't installed them yet.  They're back now.

Thanks Chucky. :)

Written By: Howard on 10/30/07 at 7:24 am

I have a question.The website hasn't finished loading cause of 1 item remaining.Could you possibly fix this problem? It has been slow lately. Thanks.

(1 item remaining) Downloading picture http://www.assoc-amazon.com/3/ir?t=chuckygs80swebpa&o=1&a=1570615330

Would you happen to know what this is?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/07 at 8:29 am

I have a question.The website hasn't finished loading cause of 1 item remaining.Could you possibly fix this problem? It has been slow lately. Thanks.

(1 item remaining) Downloading picture http://www.assoc-amazon.com/3/ir?t=chuckygs80swebpa&o=1&a=1570615330

Would you happen to know what this is?

when I used Amazon's tool for making links, they had an extra image in there for tracking views.  For some reason, their site isn't responding properly at the moment.  Since I didn't see it when I cut and paste it in there, and didn't want it, I just removed it.  If you were in Firefox you didn't have a problem, but IE wouldn't render the page without loading it first.

Written By: Matthias on 10/30/07 at 11:27 am

Hey Chucky, I was wondering if there was a way to delete a lot of your old parodies, because I kinda wanna start fresh, and a lot of my old parodies are pretty crappy.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/30/07 at 11:42 am

Hey Chucky, I was wondering if there was a way to delete a lot of your old parodies, because I kinda wanna start fresh, and a lot of my old parodies are pretty crappy.

just send a list, one per line, of the URLs

I generally try to dissuade people from doing it though.  Unless they are really embarrassing or something.

Written By: Howard on 10/31/07 at 6:31 am

when I used Amazon's tool for making links, they had an extra image in there for tracking views.  For some reason, their site isn't responding properly at the moment.  Since I didn't see it when I cut and paste it in there, and didn't want it, I just removed it.  If you were in Firefox you didn't have a problem, but IE wouldn't render the page without loading it first.

Thanks Chucky for removing it. :)

Written By: annonymouse on 11/07/07 at 4:41 pm

chucky, i'm interested in creating a website to show off the flash games i'm planning on making. i know i'll have to pay for a domain name and hosting server, but where do i start. where should i get these things from?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/07/07 at 11:11 pm

chucky, i'm interested in creating a website to show off the flash games i'm planning on making. i know i'll have to pay for a domain name and hosting server, but where do i start. where should i get these things from?

I used to recommend go daddy for a domain name, but I've heard too many horror stories.  not sure who to pick for that anymore

hosting? I use tera-byte.com for a cheap hosting company.  $100 a year gets you a pretty good package.  They also sell domain names to, so you could just get it all there.  I've used them for various sites for about 6 years now I think.  They don't host this site, I rent a dedicated server for that.  tera-byte is useful for what is known as a shared hosting plan, where a bunch of other sites are on the same computer as yours.

info beyond that (setting up, design, etc) is the subject of a great many books in every book store.  If you can program games in Flash, I'm guessing you can hack a few web pages together though.

Written By: nally on 12/18/07 at 6:55 pm

Hey Chuck...what happened to the karmalog?

I just clicked on it a few minutes ago (from the time I make this post) and it only listed 3 karma actions. That's odd, because there were plenty of them before 4:47:27 PM (Pacific time, which would probably be 7:47 your time), and they were made less than an hour ago. Looks like it was wiped clean...that's totally bizarre.

I am asking you this question right here because I didn't want to start a separate thread about it, and I figured you might have some idea as to what wiped out all the karma actions prior to 7:47:27 PM system time.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/07 at 6:19 am

Anything new added to the site soon?

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/19/07 at 7:55 am

Hey Chuck...what happened to the karmalog?

I just clicked on it a few minutes ago (from the time I make this post) and it only listed 3 karma actions. That's odd, because there were plenty of them before 4:47:27 PM (Pacific time, which would probably be 7:47 your time), and they were made less than an hour ago. Looks like it was wiped clean...that's totally bizarre.

I am asking you this question right here because I didn't want to start a separate thread about it, and I figured you might have some idea as to what wiped out all the karma actions prior to 7:47:27 PM system time.

I ran the log cleanup tool yesterday, and I bet anything that a side-effect is that it wipes the karmalog in the process.  explains the behavior I saw when was working on the new karma log for the new software on the other board.  that one was empty and I couldn't figure out why, but I do remember running the cleanup tool right before I did it.

Written By: nally on 12/19/07 at 3:25 pm

I ran the log cleanup tool yesterday, and I bet anything that a side-effect is that it wipes the karmalog in the process.  explains the behavior I saw when was working on the new karma log for the new software on the other board.  that one was empty and I couldn't figure out why, but I do remember running the cleanup tool right before I did it.

Oh, so there was a cleanup tool? I didn't know such a thing existed. I guess the wipe might've come from upgrading the system, which you announced in the Penguin News section.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/19/07 at 5:29 pm

Oh, so there was a cleanup tool? I didn't know such a thing existed. I guess the wipe might've come from upgrading the system, which you announced in the Penguin News section.

it's more of a run it once in awhile type of thing, to make sure the log files aren't getting too large.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/19/08 at 12:34 pm

I'm bumping my own thread, since it's been awhile. 

Anything about the websites you want to know about, etc.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/08 at 5:16 pm

Will this site move to a new server? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/20/08 at 11:06 am

Will this site move to a new server? ???

not in the foreseeable future.  this one appears to be ok

Written By: seamermar on 08/03/08 at 8:17 pm

ChuckyG, I don't know much about computing and things like that, for some reason It appeared this warning time ago and I don't know what is for and weather it's important or not.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website

I hope it was nothing to worry about  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/04/08 at 6:07 am

ChuckyG, I don't know much about computing and things like that, for some reason It appeared this warning time ago and I don't know what is for and weather it's important or not.

Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is missing the copyright message for SMF so they can rectify the situation. Display of copyright is a legal requirement. For more information on this please visit the Simple Machines website

I hope it was nothing to worry about  :-\\

Nothing for you to worry about.  Sometimes when I make changes to the messageboard software, if an error in the template occurs before it reads the copyright info it will display that because it thinks I was trying to remove the copyright info.

Written By: seamermar on 09/18/08 at 8:20 am

I hope I don't get out of the question asking that:

I didn't find my early parody on amiright, I only wanted to show it some friends of mine in Spain, that's it all.
I'd like to know if there's any way to find it or it has been deleted forever and ever.  :(

When you're from abroad and far away it's hard to go by without a smile.

Thanks ChuckyG

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/18/08 at 1:15 pm

I hope I don't get out of the question asking that:

I didn't find my early parody on amiright, I only wanted to show it some friends of mine in Spain, that's it all.
I'd like to know if there's any way to find it or it has been deleted forever and ever.  :(

When you're from abroad and far away it's hard to go by without a smile.

Thanks ChuckyG

unless you asked for it to be deleted, it should still be there.  did you try the parody search function?

http://www.amiright.com/parody/search/

Written By: seamermar on 09/18/08 at 11:36 pm

Thanks once more ChuckyG.

You are my sunshine and ..........my baby-sitter
you make me right when I'm wrong
you'll never know how many more
you got to help me while I get lost  ;)

Yes I tried, but in the authors column.

I think my mind and eyes are working like this  :D by this time.
I hope I'll work things out sooner than later  ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/19/08 at 12:24 pm

Thanks once more ChuckyG.

You are my sunshine and ..........my baby-sitter
you make me right when I'm wrong
you'll never know how many more
you got to help me while I get lost  ;)

Yes I tried, but in the authors column.

I think my mind and eyes are working like this  :D by this time.
I hope I'll work things out sooner than later  ;)

what was the parody title and the author name you think you used (maybe it's not what you think it was)

Written By: karen on 11/11/08 at 7:19 pm

Chucky

Is that you in the "I'm a PC" advert?

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/11/08 at 11:10 pm

Chucky

Is that you in the "I'm a PC" advert?

nah... I'm not even that cool

Written By: karen on 11/12/08 at 11:50 am

nah... I'm not even that cool

I caught the advert out of the corner of my eye and spotted some dark-haired guy in sunglasses saying something like "I'm a PC and I'm totally stuck in the eighties".  It just looked like photos I've seen of you on here!  :o

Written By: nally on 07/25/09 at 1:25 am

So, Chucky...

How is your son (Neal) doing? If I remember correctly, today (Friday 24th) was his birthday. Anything special planned?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/25/09 at 8:08 am

So, Chucky...

How is your son (Neal) doing? If I remember correctly, today (Friday 24th) was his birthday. Anything special planned?

we did a family dinner at Applebee's a couple days ago.  He seemed to like to it

Check for new replies or respond here...