inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About Australia

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:39 am

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About Australia

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/12/06 at 10:40 am

Do you ride a kangaroo to work?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:47 am

Do you ride a kangaroo to work?

Now that would be silly, wouldn't it? I'd keep falling off the bloody thing! Kangaroo's just aren't built for bare-back riding, mate, that's something you'd better learn before you go getting yourself lost in the Outback, here Downunder.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/12/06 at 10:50 am

Next question..

Do you carry a bowie knife?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 11:35 am

Next question..

Do you carry a bowie knife?

That ain't no knife. Now THIS is a knife *pulls out a massive Crocodile dundee hunting knife*.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 11:41 am

Do you have an Australian accent?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 11:45 am

Do you have an Australian accent?

Check the "what does your voice sound like" section. Well, I have lived here my whole life, so it kind of figures...

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 11:53 am

Is Quantas really the best airline like Rainman said it was?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 11:57 am

Is Quantas really the best airline like Rainman said it was?

Indeed, there have been no fatalies from air-crashes in over 70 years service (QANTAS, by the way, stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service). So fly with the red tail with the kangaroo whenever possible.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:00 pm

Is Australia mostly desert?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 12:00 pm

Indeed, there have been no fatalies from air-crashes in over 70 years service (QANTAS, by the way, stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service). So fly with the red tail with the kangaroo whenever possible.

How do you keep the change from falling out of your pockets, since you're all upside down "down under"?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:04 pm

Is Australia mostly desert?

Approximately 70% of the Australian continent receives a median annual precipitation of below 250mm (10in) which qualifies as desert. Having said that, the tropics of far north Queensland; i.e. near Mount Bellendon Ker (Tully) receive over 4,000mm (160 inches) per annum, and parts of Tasmania average more than 220 days of rainfall per annum and less than 1700 hours of bright sunshine. I know this because I used to be a real weather afficianado...I can't be bother digging up the stats, but for those really interested go to www.bom.gov.au.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:06 pm

How do you keep the change from falling out of your pockets, since you're all upside down "down under"?

We don't have keep change in Australia. Stubbie (beer) cans have become the national currency, as the things are so common. One beer can usually buys a soggy microwaved mince pie with a dollop of tomato sauce.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:07 pm

Why do you like shrimp on the barbie so much?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:11 pm

Why do you like shrimp on the barbie so much?

Yeah, we like to bung a prawn on the barbie. Well, I guess our love of the prawn stems from our fact we have the best prawns (or shrimps, as you call them) in the world. King prawns, this prawn, that prawn. Myself...have to admit never been one for the old bag of frozen prawns. I'd much rather a big kangaroo steak on my plate.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, we like to bung a prawn on the barbie. Well, I guess our love of the prawn stems from our fact we have the best prawns (or shrimps, as you call them) in the world. King prawns, this prawn, that prawn. Myself...have to admit never been one for the old bag of frozen prawns. I'd much rather a big kangaroo steak on my plate.

Are they really like deer in Austrailia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:13 pm

Are they really like deer in Austrailia?

What, you mean the roos?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 12:15 pm

Are Koala Bears white meat or red meat?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:19 pm

What, you mean the roos?

Yeah.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:20 pm

Are Koala Bears white meat or red meat?

Let me first inform me, that poaching of native wildlife incurs severe penalities under the 'Wildlife Protection Act.'

And to answer your question...Koalas have green meat. From all the Eucalyptus leaves they eat.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 12:25 pm

Let me first inform me, that poaching of native wildlife incurs severe penalities under the 'Wildlife Protection Act.'

And to answer your question...Koalas have green meat. From all the Eucalyptus leaves they eat.

really?  that's kind of wild.  cows eat green grass, yet they aren't green.

If you leave your window open at night, will a dingo really steal your baby?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:27 pm

really?  that's kind of wild.  cows eat green grass, yet they aren't green.

If you leave your window open at night, will a dingo really steal your baby?

Yes, but Eucalyptus leaves are different from grass. You see...just like eating carrots make you go orange, but eating oranges won't...See my point?

And to answer your question,

Yes...if you want it to ;-)

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 12:36 pm

Yes, but Eucalyptus leaves are different from grass. You see...just like eating carrots make you go orange, but eating oranges won't...See my point?

And to answer your question,

Yes...if you want it to ;-)

Is Midnight Oil popular there?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:43 pm

Is Midnight Oil popular there?

Well, frontman Peter Garett became the member for Kingsford-Smith of the Labor Party (one of two major parties here, often seen as analogous with the 'Democrats' in the US but quite different), so I guess that says something.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 12:54 pm

Is there any part of Australia that gets really cold or at atleast snows?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 1:05 pm

Is there any part of Australia that gets really cold or at atleast snows?

Too right, would you believe during the peak ski season we have a larger skiable area than Switzerland!

This, oddly enough, has been a pet subject of mine (snow in Oz). I could go on and on about it...indeed I wrote a whole article on it, but it would pbly bore you. To put it short; the only places where it is cold enough to form a snow cover are parts of the G.D.R. in NSW and VIC around the Australian Alps (esp. Snowy Mtns, around Mt Buller), and the Central Highlands of Tasmania. Other than that, snow falls occasionally in elevated parts of southern Australia, but is extremely rare along the coast. Perth city has never had snow lying (our climate is similar to Los Angeles), but it snowed in the hills once 50 years ago (July 1956). Melbourne and Sydney have both reported at least one occasion of snow lying in their histories.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 1:07 pm

Sounds intreresting.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 1:14 pm

Sounds intreresting.

But I guess snow really wouldn't be a big deal to you.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 1:23 pm

But I guess snow really wouldn't be a big deal to you.

No.... not really.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 7:55 pm

Come on, ask me anything...

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 7:57 pm

Does this thread get the 'thread that spawned the most copies' award?

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/06 at 8:09 pm

This is from a Simpson's episode, when you flush the toilet what direction
does the water go down, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:10 pm

Indeed, Lisa's right as usual. The water goes clockwise, I've tried it myself.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/06 at 8:23 pm

Now for a serious question, How is the America's Cup, or what ever it's named
now, accepted there.The intrest here has died down over the years that is why
I don't know who holds the cup now.When is the next race? It's every 3 or 4 years
isn't it? I was quite mad when ESPN stopped showing the races.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:29 pm

Now for a serious question, How is the America's Cup, or what ever it's named
now, accepted there.The intrest here has died down over the years that is why
I don't know who holds the cup now.When is the next race? It's every 3 or 4 years
isn't it? I was quite mad when ESPN stopped showing the races.

Hmm, don't quite understand your question 100%. The America's cups still a big deal...I mean it's another big event to bet on, isn't it? But since we don't have the cup (New Zealand does), most people don't really care too much anymore.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/06 at 8:43 pm

Are "The Vines" still popular down under?

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/06 at 8:48 pm

Hmm, don't quite understand your question 100%. The America's cups still a big deal...I mean it's another big event to bet on, isn't it? But since we don't have the cup (New Zealand does), most people don't really care too much anymore.

I guess I could have worded it better.You pretty much answered my question, I just
wanted to know if the event is still being held.I live 55 miles from the Atlantic Ocean
and I can't get any information on a damn yacht race.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:56 pm

I guess I could have worded it better.You pretty much answered my question, I just
wanted to know if the event is still being held.I live 55 miles from the Atlantic Ocean
and I can't get any information on a damn yacht race.

The big thing over here is a horse race they hold called the Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday of November (part of the whole Spring Carnival thing)...gambling, fashion, and dignitaries drinking too much during speeches are the highlights.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:57 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/06 at 9:10 pm

The big thing over here is a horse race they hold called the Melbourne Cup on the first Tuesday of November (part of the whole Spring Carnival thing)...gambling, fashion, and dignitaries drinking too much during speeches are the highlights.

OK, now for another silly question, the horse races, are they Quater Horses or
do they race around the track in the opposite direction, just like toilet water?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:12 pm

I'm making it a point to answer EVERY question if possible, so that is a bit too silly. Next>>>

Written By: loki 13 on 04/12/06 at 9:32 pm

I'm making it a point to answer EVERY question if possible, so that is a bit too silly. Next>>>

I apologize if you think the question was too silly but I was being kind of serious.
You see here in the States the horses run around the track in a counter clockwise
direction,from 5 furlongs to a mile and a half.I was at an OTB with simulcast and they showed
a horse race from Australia where the horses ran in a straight line for a quarter of a mile,
quarter horses.I saw another race where the horse ran around in a clockwise direction,
I am not sure where that race was held,I thought it might be Australia or England.It was
just funny to see them running the opposite way.Again, I apologize for being silly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:34 pm

I guess you've finally stumped me. When I watch the Cup I'm usually concentrating on where my horse is, not which way he or she is running.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:42 pm

...they call it the 'Race that stops a nation' - everywhere across the country people stop work for about half-an hour (the actual race being mere minutes) to watch it. Even for those for whom gambling is not part of their everyday life put a little punt, more for fun. We're a nation of punters, but we don't take it that seriously.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 8:25 am

No other questions?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/13/06 at 8:29 am

What's your favorite Australian band?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 8:32 am

What's your favorite Australian band?

Too many to list...

Some of my faves have included Jebediah, a Perth-based indie rock band, Architecture in Helsinki, an 'artsy alternative' sort of outfit, End of Fashion, Eskimo Joe, The Panda Band, the Vines, New Buffalo, Sarah Blasko, of the better known ones, INXS, Hoodoo Gurus, AC/DC, Cold Chisel..the usual.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 9:28 pm

No I'll ask a question (if anyone bothers to answer). What are all your favourite Aussie bands?

Written By: Zella on 04/14/06 at 1:47 pm

We don't have keep change in Australia. Stubbie (beer) cans have become the national currency, as the things are so common. One beer can usually buys a soggy microwaved mince pie with a dollop of tomato sauce.

How many smidges are there in a dollop...?  ???

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 3:07 am

As many as you want them to be  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/06 at 3:14 am

No I'll ask a question (if anyone bothers to answer). What are all your favourite Aussie bands?

Aussie bands are great, and like you said, too many to mention, but here's a few ...

The Venetians, The Angels from Angel City, INXS, Goanna, Dragon, John Farnham, Glenn Shorrock and Little River Band, The Bee Gees, Savage Garden, The Models, Noiseworks, Hoodoo Gurus, Air Supply, Moving Pictures, 1927 ...

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 3:16 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/15/06 at 5:54 am

Perth city has never had snow lying (our climate is similar to Los Angeles), but it snowed in the hills once 50 years ago (July 1956). Melbourne and Sydney have both reported at least one occasion of snow lying in their histories.

Um err wrong !

Dont know how old you are but possibly you are too young to remember the snow that fell on Perth in October 1992. It was enough to totally cover the yard and didnt melt for several hours. I was living in Gwelup at the time and my lawnmowing man and I stood and watched it fall all morning. I rang my Ch9 reporter friend and he rushed over to film it for that nights news.
Falls were recorded in Karrinyup and Scarborough that morning too. At the same time there were full blown blizzards all over the southwest with heavy snowfall as far down as Albany.

Bluff Knoll south of Perth records snow caps every winter.

The outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne get snowfall every winter. I have plenty of friends and relatives in both cities and all have had snowfall every year.

For whoever was asking about horseracing (Loki or Mirror ?) - the Melbourne Cup (flat race) is raced anti clockwise. From memory - most or all Aussie races are anti clockwise. I cant picture any that go clockwise. And our trots and greyhounds also race anticlockwise.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 6:22 am

Um err wrong !

Dont know how old you are but possibly you are too young to remember the snow that fell on Perth in October 1992. It was enough to totally cover the yard and didnt melt for several hours. I was living in Gwelup at the time and my lawnmowing man and I stood and watched it fall all morning. I rang my Ch9 reporter friend and he rushed over to film it for that nights news.
Falls were recorded in Karrinyup and Scarborough that morning too. At the same time there were full blown blizzards all over the southwest with heavy snowfall as far down as Albany.

Bluff Knoll south of Perth records snow caps every winter.

The outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne get snowfall every winter. I have plenty of friends and relatives in both cities and all have had snowfall every year.

For whoever was asking about horseracing (Loki or Mirror ?) - the Melbourne Cup (flat race) is raced anti clockwise. From memory - most or all Aussie races are anti clockwise. I cant picture any that go clockwise. And our trots and greyhounds also race anticlockwise.

I'm not too young to remember October 1992, and I'm almost 100% sure what you're referring to was a fall of small hail. I don't remember the mercuring getting anywhere near low enough to allow for snowfall. I've studied past records.etc and there was no mention whatsoever of a fall in October 1992. The falls in Scarborough seem particularly unbelievable to me. I believe November 1991 or 92 saw widespread snowfalls in the Wheatbelt (which is very unusual because it was near summer) and there is documented evidence for that, but I'll climb the Bell Tower naked if you can prove to me it snowed, and there was snow cover back in October 1992. I've heard numerous reports of snow falling in Perth (such as the snow in St. Georges Terrace back in the 70s), but to my knowledge the July 56 event (when we recorded our coldest maxima of a mere 8.8C) was the only one which saw more than a trace of snow in such suburbs as Gooseberry Hill and Roleystone.

As for Melbourne and Sydney, yes I was mainly referring to the actual CBD, but yes, the hillier outer suburbs get the odd fall now and again. Places such as the Dandenongs in Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains in Sydney. But these are still quite rare events, and no part of Australia at sea-level regularly receives snow.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/15/06 at 6:57 am

I'm not too young to remember October 1992, and I'm almost 100% sure what you're referring to was a fall of small hail. I don't remember the mercuring getting anywhere near low enough to allow for snowfall. I've studied past records.etc and there was no mention whatsoever of a fall in October 1992. The falls in Scarborough seem particularly unbelievable to me. I believe November 1991 or 92 saw widespread snowfalls in the Wheatbelt (which is very unusual because it was near summer) and there is documented evidence for that, but I'll climb the Bell Tower naked if you can prove to me it snowed, and there was snow cover back in October 1992. I've heard numerous reports of snow falling in Perth (such as the snow in St. Georges Terrace back in the 70s), but to my knowledge the July 56 event (when we recorded our coldest maxima of a mere 8.8C) was the only one which saw more than a trace of snow in such suburbs as Gooseberry Hill and Roleystone.

As for Melbourne and Sydney, yes I was mainly referring to the actual CBD, but yes, the hillier outer suburbs get the odd fall now and again. Places such as the Dandenongs in Melbourne, and the Blue Mountains in Sydney. But these are still quite rare events, and no part of Australia at sea-level regularly receives snow.

Feel free to climb anything naked. I have lived in ski resorts in three countries and lived in the snowy mountains and hobart in tasmania - I know snow when I see it - I have also seen more than enough hail in my lifetime to know the difference between the two. Soft flakes anding gently in your hand are very definately snow. 

The Perth snow fall in October 92 (very late Oct from memory - I would have to drag out my diary to find where I wrote about it) was part of a freakish weather pattern that occured - October itself had been quite warm till that cold snap. Susannah Carr made a doco about it as she was taking part in the Perth to Albany vintage car rally at the time so there is a tonne of footage on the doco.

As for sea level snow - Hobart suburbs are at sea level and recieve good falls in winter. In fact they were heavier than usual last winter and my relatives sent me tonnes of photos to show how much fell in their sea level suburban yard.

As for Blue Mountains - certainly not rare - My father lived there for 15 years and in that time he woke to snow on his balconys most days in winter.  Dont know about the Dandenongs as I dont know anyone living there - but a Melbourne friend who lives out by Melb airport got snowfall two winters in a row - last year and the year before.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 9:23 am

Feel free to climb anything naked. I have lived in ski resorts in three countries and lived in the snowy mountains and hobart in tasmania - I know snow when I see it - I have also seen more than enough hail in my lifetime to know the difference between the two. Soft flakes anding gently in your hand are very definately snow. 

The Perth snow fall in October 92 (very late Oct from memory - I would have to drag out my diary to find where I wrote about it) was part of a freakish weather pattern that occured - October itself had been quite warm till that cold snap. Susannah Carr made a doco about it as she was taking part in the Perth to Albany vintage car rally at the time so there is a tonne of footage on the doco.

As for sea level snow - Hobart suburbs are at sea level and recieve good falls in winter. In fact they were heavier than usual last winter and my relatives sent me tonnes of photos to show how much fell in their sea level suburban yard.

As for Blue Mountains - certainly not rare - My father lived there for 15 years and in that time he woke to snow on his balconys most days in winter.  Dont know about the Dandenongs as I dont know anyone living there - but a Melbourne friend who lives out by Melb airport got snowfall two winters in a row - last year and the year before.

I was once fascinated with the subject on snow in WA, and I remember sending an e-mail to the Bom (I've also visited the BOM offices in West Perth and asked them about it), they too confirmed the only instance of snow (falling or lying) was the event of 26th June 1956 when snow was reported in the hill suburbs, and as far north as Wongan Hills and as far east as Salmon Gums. They also confirmed the last paragraph of THIS article from the West Australian dated 7/10/92:

http://www.feargod.net/wspics/news-wa19921007.jpg

If you can't be bothered viewing it it says, 'Read the last paragraph: 'The closest Perth came experiencing snow was July 1978. Snow was reported falling
past fifth-floor levels along St Georges Terrace but it did not reach the ground as snow.' This is the official bureau position. It also says that the minimum for Perth that day was 4.9 degrees Celsius. Theoretically, with the right air structure it is possible to snow to fall at 7C, but this is extremely rare and occurs at higher altititudes. It is IMPOSSIBLE for snow to lie at temperatures above 3C. I can guarantee you no snow has ever fallen in the southern portion of the Swan Coastal Plain since European settlement, at least not in my lifetime (and I've lived here my whole life).

http://www.feargod.net/wa-snow2.php

The 6-8 October event saw snowfall in parts of the Southwest such as Katanning, Kojonup, Cranbrook, Borden, Gnowangerup, Arthur River etc., but no snow anywhere near the Perth metropolitan area.

I don't want to write you off totally, so I'm wondering if you have any evidence; i.e. news clippings, etc. I know quite a bit about Perth's meteorological history (but I haven't kept up for so long I forget precise figures), and something as massive as that would definitely have caught my eye. As much as it is a personal dream of mind, I highly doubt the Swan Coastal Plain has seen 'proper' snow falling since the last Ice Age. I also find the 1978 report highly dubious.

Written By: Morton on 04/15/06 at 9:28 am

As an Australian citizen, what was your opinion of the 35th election on the 11th of July 1987, and do you think it made more or less impact than the 34th and 36th elections on the 1st December 1984 and 24th march 1990?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 9:35 am

As an Australian citizen, what was your opinion of the 35th election on the 11th of July 1987, and do you think it made more or less impact than the 34th and 36th elections on the 1st December 1984 and 24th march 1990?

Are you trying to abuse you gratitude? By thoroughly confounding me? Sheesh, that's how I get treated...Honestly mate, I have no clue. Politics was never my forte. All I know was it was the Hawke era.

Written By: Morton on 04/15/06 at 9:36 am

Are you trying to abuse you gratitude? By thoroughly confounding me? Sheesh, that's how I get treated...Honestly mate, I have no clue. Politics was never my forte. All I know was it was the Hawke era.

Righty-Ho

I just thought it sounded clever  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 9:59 am

Righty-Ho

I just thought it sounded clever  ;D

Ok then, smart-arse...name every Monarch of England and the house they belonged to...from memory

Written By: mandamoo on 04/15/06 at 7:58 pm

Allow me ?  :)

There are 10 smidges to the dollop. 12 (15, on the old scale) equates to a generous  dollop.

Hope that clears it up for you Zed  :D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/16/06 at 12:56 am

Allow me ?  :)

There are 10 smidges to the dollop. 12 (15, on the old scale) equates to a generous  dollop.

Hope that clears it up for you Zed  :D

Is a smidge of marmalade equal to a smidge of vegemite ?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/16/06 at 1:07 am

I don't want to write you off totally, so I'm wondering if you have any evidence; i.e. news clippings, etc. I know quite a bit about Perth's meteorological history (but I haven't kept up for so long I forget precise figures), and something as massive as that would definitely have caught my eye. As much as it is a personal dream of mind, I highly doubt the Swan Coastal Plain has seen 'proper' snow falling since the last Ice Age. I also find the 1978 report highly dubious.

Write me off all you want. I didnt personally stand on the moon and watch men land on it - but I dont discount that it happened simply because I didnt see it. I have no idea if the "massive event" as you say - personally I referred to it as a "freaky weather day" - was in the papers as I didnt scour them from cover to cover the next day. As I said - Ch9 came and filmed it and did a bit of filming around Scarborough and Susannah Carr included it in her doco about the vintage car rally.

You are not Robinson Cruseo in your dealings with BOM. My work in mine sites meant that I had to speak with them 4 or 5 times a day before allowing men to work in high winds or potential frosts. And guess what - they are fallible and generally happy to admit it.

You need to be careful about statements such as "highly doubt" and highly dubious". They generally suggest that as you werent there you are accusing witness's of lying. I didnt move to Perth until 79 so I personally cant vouch for the 78 fall but I certainly dont accuse my current coworkers, who have told me about what they saw from their office windows, of lying.

Written By: Morton on 04/16/06 at 7:50 am

Ok then, smart-arse...name every Monarch of England and the house they belonged to...from memory

Hey, this is the "Ask You Anything About Australia" thread, i'm within my rights to refuse to answer  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 9:27 am

Hey, this is the "Ask You Anything About Australia" thread, i'm within my rights to refuse to answer  ::)

The Queen is still technically the head of state...

Written By: jaytee on 04/21/06 at 12:19 pm

Queensland, ACT and New South Wales race tracks all run clockwise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/21/06 at 12:50 pm

Are the Goon Shows stll popular in Australia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 9:13 pm

I'm a bit too young for that...perhaps with the older generation? There's another show called the 'Goodies' I always get confused with the Goons, it was recently released on DVD.

Written By: La Roche on 04/21/06 at 9:19 pm

So, how would a Pom/Yank go about becoming an Aussie?

In all seriousness.

I e-mailed the Australian Embassy here in Washington earlier.

I know that the citizenship process is fairly easy for me because I have British citizenship and what not, I assume you lot follow the same sort of commonwealth easy access principals as Canada?

So, what could I expect moving to Oz?

Let me give you some background..

I like cricket, I like Aussie rules (Collingwood fan I'm afraid) and I've played Rugby all my life (since Johnno taught me).
I enjoy my beer, I enjoy my music and I can speak properly  ;)

What can I expect?

Written By: mandamoo on 04/21/06 at 9:24 pm

Only inasmuch as a clip is dusted off every so often (maybe once every couple of years) and shown for reminiscent purposes  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 04/21/06 at 9:26 pm

I like cricket, I like Aussie rules (Collingwood fan I'm afraid) and I've played Rugby all my life (since Johnno taught me).
I enjoy my beer, I enjoy my music and I can speak properly  ;)

You're already an Aussie - whaddya talking about ?  :D ;)

Written By: La Roche on 04/21/06 at 9:28 pm

You're already an Aussie - whaddya talking about ?  :D ;)

Doubt i'd have too much of a problem aclimatising.

Having never been down under, I must ask.

Is it like we all hear.

Personality of Britain, Consumer options of America?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 12:11 am

Doubt i'd have too much of a problem aclimatising.

Having never been down under, I must ask.

Is it like we all hear.

Personality of Britain, Consumer options of America?

Hmm, yes and no. We have America's shopping malls/strip malls, car-dominated suburbs, and apart from a few major cities pretty poor public transport (but this is changing). We are a bit like a mix between the UK and US culturally, though we have a love-hate relationship with Britain. On one hand we always slag them off, but on the other we've embraced the very English ideals of heavy drinking, hooliganism and Cockney slang.

Written By: La Roche on 04/22/06 at 12:16 am

Hmm, yes and no. We have America's shopping malls/strip malls, car-dominated suburbs, and apart from a few major cities pretty poor public transport (but this is changing). We are a bit like a mix between the UK and US culturally, though we have a love-hate relationship with Britain. On one hand we always slag them off, but on the other we've embraced the very English ideals of heavy drinking, hooliganism and Cockney slang.

I'm a grade A hooligan. Years of experience  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/06 at 3:22 am

I'm a bit too young for that...perhaps with the older generation? There's another show called the 'Goodies' I always get confused with the Goons, it was recently released on DVD.
It must be a generation thing, but surprized to see the Goodies diong well out there, thanks.

Written By: mandamoo on 04/22/06 at 4:41 am

It must be a generation thing, but surprized to see the Goodies diong well out there, thanks.

We LOVE the Goodies ! :D

In fact - we love ALL British comedies :) :) :)

(I think I can safely speak for most Australians  ;) )

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/06 at 5:23 am

We LOVE the Goodies ! :D

In fact - we love ALL British comedies :) :) :)

(I think I can safely speak for most Australians  ;) )
Which explains why Barry Humphries is always on British TV?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 9:05 am

Which explains why Barry Humphries is always on British TV?

Barry Humphries is seldom on British TV, don't know what gives you that impression.  ;)

Dame Edna, and to a lesser extent that slovenly infestation of warts known as Sir Les Patterson do...

Written By: tomario on 04/22/06 at 6:45 pm

are the minogue sisters better than the  olsen twins ? 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 3:54 am

are the minogue sisters better than the  olsen twins ? 8)

Can't really compare them, they're totally different.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 3:27 pm

Can't really compare them, they're totally different.

Ashley is much better looking than Mary-Kate.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 10:03 pm

Ashley is much better looking than Mary-Kate.

I think they're my age. Did you also know I share a birthday with the O.C.'s Mischa Barton?  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/24/06 at 10:07 pm

I think they're my age. Did you also know I share a birthday with the O.C.'s Mischa Barton?  :)

Really?  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 10:23 pm

Really?  ;)

24th of January 1986

I wonder what time she was born? ;

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/25/06 at 3:18 am

They just toured here last year - sold out shows everywhere. I couldnt get a ticket in 3 cities so I missed out but was lucky enough to be invited to my local radio station when they sat in for an hour (just Tim and Graham) taking callers questions and I have never laughed so hard.
They actually said the same as you - they had no idea they were still popular down here - but apparently its because the show was never repeated in the UK whereas it was played pretty well constantly here in the 70s and 80s and occassionally in the 90s. Also from memory they said it was shown quite late in the evening in the UK - as a more adut comedy ? whereas down here it was a 6pm staple !! So several generations have grown up on them.

My friend in Melbourne runs conventions and had Tim come down for one a couple of years ago while Graham and Bill appeared via sattellite for Q&A's over the weekend. It went so well that it was then that they decided to bring a stage show back down here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/06 at 2:57 pm

They just toured here last year - sold out shows everywhere. I couldnt get a ticket in 3 cities so I missed out but was lucky enough to be invited to my local radio station when they sat in for an hour (just Tim and Graham) taking callers questions and I have never laughed so hard.
They actually said the same as you - they had no idea they were still popular down here - but apparently its because the show was never repeated in the UK whereas it was played pretty well constantly here in the 70s and 80s and occassionally in the 90s. Also from memory they said it was shown quite late in the evening in the UK - as a more adut comedy ? whereas down here it was a 6pm staple !! So several generations have grown up on them.

My friend in Melbourne runs conventions and had Tim come down for one a couple of years ago while Graham and Bill appeared via sattellite for Q&A's over the weekend. It went so well that it was then that they decided to bring a stage show back down here.
Bill Oddie does BirdWatch programmes for TV more than comedy now.

Written By: Satish on 04/25/06 at 7:03 pm

Do radio stations and other media outlets in Oz have government regulations requiring them to play a minimum amount of Australian music?

Here in Canada, the government requires that at least 35% of the music played by radio stations each hour be made in Canada. The Canadian music industry probably couldn't exist without this protection.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/25/06 at 10:26 pm

Do radio stations and other media outlets in Oz have government regulations requiring them to play a minimum amount of Australian music?

Here in Canada, the government requires that at least 35% of the music played by radio stations each hour be made in Canada. The Canadian music industry probably couldn't exist without this protection.

That's seldom a problem, as most stations (even Top 40) try to support local bands...the situation here' s probably different than Canada, which is right next to the giant US music industry.

Written By: Satish on 04/26/06 at 9:17 am

That's seldom a problem, as most stations (even Top 40) try to support local bands...the situation here' s probably different than Canada, which is right next to the giant US music industry.

So does the Australian government do anything at all to subsidize or support the domestic music industry?

When you consider the number of Australian artists who've made it big internationally, from AC/DC to Savage Garden to the Vines, and take into account the country's population and the fact that it has to compete in the same English language market as the mammoth US music industry, it's pretty staggering that it's been able to accomplish it without any government protection.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:19 pm

So does the Australian government do anything at all to subsidize or support the domestic music industry?

When you consider the number of Australian artists who've made it big internationally, from AC/DC to Savage Garden to the Vines, and take into account the country's population and the fact that it has to compete in the same English language market as the mammoth US music industry, it's pretty staggering that it's been able to accomplish it without any government protection.

Yes, we have a tradition of supporting the Arts. I think the Vic government is one of the best at that. And Aussie bands make it big because of raw talent...we've always been a rich producer of new talent, ever since Dame Nelly Melba...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:21 pm

What's the Melbourne-Syndney difference?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:27 pm

What's the Melbourne-Syndney difference?

Being from neither, I don't have a residents' POV...

BUT...I've visited both numerous times, and know a bit about them. It really depends what you're comparing them on. IMHO, they're both very nice cities with their own traits. To put it in a US context; Sydney is a bit like a cross between LA and San Francisco; big, busy, brash, characterised by its hedonistic, beach-lifestyle, events like the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras (one of the biggest anywhere), Aussie Day celebrations, with the backdrop of Sydney Harbour, the Blue Mtns. I think from a natural environment POV, I prefer Sydney; it's just one of the most beautiful cities ANYWHERE.

Melbourne would be more like your Boston or Seattle. Comparatively wet and grey for an Australian city, it has a 'euro' feel to it. A large migration population (particularly from the Mediteranean, but also SE Asia.etc) has made it very cosmopolitan. It has the second-largest Greek community in the world and a large Italian community. AFL (Aussie Rules football) is an obsession here, played at the MCG...In other words, Melbourne is our so-called 'cultural-arts' capital, with arguably the biggest live music scenes in the country.

Melbourne actually used to be bigger than Sydney in population, but Sydney kind of outgrow it after WWII. If you visit, you can't really miss either.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:32 pm

Being from neither, I don't have a residents' POV...

BUT...I've visited both numerous times, and know a bit about them. It really depends what you're comparing them on. IMHO, they're both very nice cities with their own traits. To put it in a US context; Sydney is a bit like a cross between LA and San Francisco; big, busy, brash, characterised by its hedonistic, beach-lifestyle, events like the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras (one of the biggest anywhere), Aussie Day celebrations, with the backdrop of Sydney Harbour, the Blue Mtns. I think from a natural environment POV, I prefer Sydney; it's just one of the most beautiful cities ANYWHERE.

Melbourne would be more like your Boston or Seattle. Comparatively wet and grey for an Australian city, it has a 'euro' feel to it. A large migration population (particularly from the Mediteranean, but also SE Asia.etc) has made it very cosmopolitan. It has the second-largest Greek community in the world and a large Italian community. AFL (Aussie Rules football) is an obsession here, played at the MCG...In other words, Melbourne is our so-called 'cultural-arts' capital, with arguably the biggest live music scenes in the country.

Melbourne actually used to be bigger than Sydney in population, but Sydney kind of outgrow it after WWII. If you visit, you can't really miss either.

Sydney sounds sort of like a cross between Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Dallas, and Melbourne is a cross between Manhattan, Boston, Seattle, and Rhode Island/Jersey (anywhere very Mediterranean in population but opposite in climate.)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:36 pm

Sydney sounds sort of like a cross between Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Dallas, and Melbourne is a cross between Manhattan, Boston, Seattle, and Rhode Island/Jersey (anywhere very Mediterranean in population but opposite in climate.)

The outlook of Sydneysiders is also a bit different. I heard a quote that in Sydney, 'they ask you what your job is, while in Melbourne they ask you what school you went to.' I think that neatly sums it up. Melbourne also has a lot of goth-emo and 'wierdo' people in an artsy way, whereas Sydney has alot of plain wierdos...lol. Though i think there must be a correlation between a city's climate and its residences predeliction for depressing music! I know the grunge-offspot music movement has its roots in Melbourne, whereas Sydney's scene is more orientated around clubbing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:48 pm

The outlook of Sydneysiders is also a bit different. I heard a quote that in Sydney, 'they ask you what your job is, while in Melbourne they ask you what school you went to.' I think that neatly sums it up. Melbourne also has a lot of goth-emo and 'wierdo' people in an artsy way, whereas Sydney has alot of plain wierdos...lol. Though i think there must be a correlation between a city's climate and its residences predeliction for depressing music! I know the grunge-offspot music movement has its roots in Melbourne, whereas Sydney's scene is more orientated around clubbing.

The American version (I added some of this):

In New York, they ask you "What's your business?"/"What's your yearly salary?"
In Boston, they ask you "What do you think?"/"What school did you go to?"
In Washington DC, they ask you "Who are you allied with?"
In Philadelphia, they ask you "Who were your parents?"
In Jersey, they ask you "Where's the mall and why don't you get out of my face?"
In San Francisco, they ask you "What would you like to drink/smoke?"
In San Diego, they ask you "Where do you exercise?"
In Los Angeles, they ask you "Who did you f*ck?"
In Miami, they ask you "Where do you party?"
In Seattle, they ask you "What books have you read?"
In Detroit, they ask you "What union do you belong to?"/"Where do you cruise?"
In Dallas, they ask you "What church do you go to?"
In Houston, they ask you "Where do you drill?"
In Minneapolis-St. Paul, they ask you "How's your day, my dear friend?"
In Chicago, they ask you "Where are you going, what's your racket, what do you make, and where are you coming from?"
In Atlanta, they ask you "What do you own?"
In Cleveland, they ask you "What ethnicity are you?"
In Orlando, they ask you "Do you believe in Jesus and Mickey Mouse?"
In Phoenix, they ask you "Where do you golf and where do you build malls?"
In Milwaukee, they ask you "Which bar do you go to?"
In New Orleans, they ask you "How may we entertain you/how may you party?"
In Denver, they ask you "Where do you ski?"

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:52 pm

The American version (I added some of this):

In New York, they ask you "What's your business?"/"What's your yearly salary?"
In Boston, they ask you "What do you think?"/"What school did you go to?"
In Washington DC, they ask you "Who are you allied with?"
In Philadelphia, they ask you "Who were your parents?"
In Jersey, they ask you "Where's the mall and why don't you get out of my face?"
In San Francisco, they ask you "What would you like to drink/smoke?"
In San Diego, they ask you "Where do you exercise?"
In Los Angeles, they ask you "Who did you f*ck?"
In Miami, they ask you "Where do you party?"
In Seattle, they ask you "What books have you read?"
In Detroit, they ask you "What union do you belong to?"/"Where do you cruise?"
In Dallas, they ask you "What church do you go to?"
In Houston, they ask you "Where do you drill?"
In Minneapolis-St. Paul, they ask you "How's your day, my dear friend?"
In Chicago, they ask you "Where are you going, what's your racket, what do you make, and where are you coming from?"
In Atlanta, they ask you "What do you own?"
In Cleveland, they ask you "What ethnicity are you?"
In Orlando, they ask you "Do you believe in Jesus and Mickey Mouse?"

lol,

In Perth they ask you, 'So, what are you doing out HERE? Why aren't you in the Eastern states where all the action is?'

No, we tend to be a very parochial bunch.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:54 pm

lol,

In Perth they ask you, 'So, what are you doing out HERE? Why aren't you in the Eastern states where all the action is?'

No, we tend to be a very parochial bunch.

What about Aberdeen and Canberra?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:57 pm

What about Aberdeen and Canberra?

Aberdeen? I think you may be getting confused with Scotland.

And I've been to our national capital once...like Washington D.C., it was planned as a national capital, because Sydney and Melbourne couldn't decide between them. I guess it's a nice place.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 9:59 pm

Aberdeen? I think you may be getting confused with Scotland.

And I've been to our national capital once...like Washington D.C., it was planned as a national capital, because Sydney and Melbourne couldn't decide between them. I guess it's a nice place.

There's no Aberdeen in Australia? Nevermind...I thought there was also an Aberdeen there.

Any other US cities you'd like to hear about?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:09 pm

There's no Aberdeen in Australia? Nevermind...I thought there was also an Aberdeen there.

Any other US cities you'd like to hear about?

Where exactly in New Jersey do you live? Closer to New York or Philadelphia (that's about all I know about that state). Perhaps this should go in your thread, but nevermind. Have you lived in any other parts of the U.S.?

I think I'm still most fascinated with California, and to a lesser extent New York, though don't know if I'd want to live there...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:11 pm

Where exactly in New Jersey do you live? Closer to New York or Philadelphia (that's about all I know about that state). Perhaps this should go in your thread, but nevermind. Have you lived in any other parts of the U.S.?

I think I'm still most fascinated with California, and to a lesser extent New York, though don't know if I'd want to live there...

I live 15 minutes from NYC...the part of Jersey closer to Philadelphia isn't even Jersey, it's New Jersey. No, I haven't.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:18 pm

Do you like vegemite?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/26/06 at 10:21 pm

What's the Jewish population of Australia like?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:27 pm

Do you like vegemite?

No...and if you've tried it, it tastes as bad as it looks.

Not all of us are Happy little Vegemites...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:28 pm

;D

As a kid, were you forced to eat it all the time?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:28 pm

What's the Jewish population of Australia like?

Don't exactly know. As the BoS doesn't have any classification for 'Jewish' there are no real accurate statistics, mostly if people say so. But certainly, nowhere as significant as in the United States. I know there's a Jewish school here in Perth (in the suburb of Carmel, which is the nearest we really have to a 'Jewish' suburb). The main ethnic groups here are Italians, Greeks, Croatians, SE Asian; vietnamese, Malaysian, Indian and of course English and Kiwis.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:29 pm

;D

As a kid, were you forced to eat it all the time?

No, thankfully not.

I was more a Nutella kid myself (do you get Nutella over there?)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:35 pm

No, thankfully not.

I was more a Nutella kid myself (do you get Nutella over there?)

;D

Not sure if we get Nutella.  It sounds familiar...

Written By: La Roche on 04/26/06 at 11:10 pm

Vegemite's your version of marmite right?

Virilant stuff, revolting.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/06 at 1:45 am

Vegemite's your version of marmite right?

Virilant stuff, revolting.
What does Vegemite taste of?

Written By: La Roche on 04/27/06 at 8:21 am

No Idea Philip.

I was going on the assumption that it's similar to marmite, which of course, is the excrement of cerberus.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/27/06 at 10:30 am

Don't exactly know. As the BoS doesn't have any classification for 'Jewish' there are no real accurate statistics, mostly if people say so. But certainly, nowhere as significant as in the United States. I know there's a Jewish school here in Perth (in the suburb of Carmel, which is the nearest we really have to a 'Jewish' suburb). The main ethnic groups here are Italians, Greeks, Croatians, SE Asian; vietnamese, Malaysian, Indian and of course English and Kiwis.

We have nutella! For crepes, that is...

I looked this up: There are 150,000 Australian Jews. Many are Holocaust survivors/refugees and new immigrants from the USSR and Russia. Here are some areas where they live:

Inner suburbs of Melbourne-St. Kilda, Caulfield, Elwood, Elsternwick, and Toorak.
Inner suburbs of Sydney-Bondi, Dover Heights, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, St. Ives, Hunter's Hill.

Smaller populations in Perth and the Gold Coast.

Famous Jewish-Australians:

Academic figures
Samuel Alexander, philosopher
Joseph Jacobs, historian & folklorist
Kurt Mahler, mathematician
Robert Manne, academic & social critic
Bernhard Neumann, mathematician
Gustav Nossal, immunologist (Jewish father)
Peter Singer, philosopher

Business figures
Sir Peter Abeles, former chairman of Ansett
Rodney Adler, CEO of doomed HIH Insurance
John Gandel & Marc Besen, founder/owners of Chadstone Shopping Centre and Sussan fashion chain
Joseph Gutnick, mining magnate & ex-President of Melbourne F.C.
Frank Lowy, founder of The Westfield Group
Sidney Myer, founder of Myer department store & philanthropist
Leon & Richard Pratt, founder/owners of Visy Industries
Rene Rivkin, stockbroker
Smorgon family, founder/owners of Smorgon Steel and other businesses
John Saunders, co-founder of The Westfield Group
Harry Triguboff, billionaire, Meriton Apartments

Cultural figures
Claudia Black, actress
Rachel Berger, comedian
Lily Brett, writer
Geraldine Brooks, Pulitzer Prize winning writer
Saskia Burmeister, actress
Judy Cassab, painter
Deborah Conway, singer/songwriter
Andrew Denton, journalist, host of Enough Rope
Isla Fisher, model & actress (converted)
Luke Ford, Los Angeles gossip columnist, journalist, moral leader (converted)
Amelia Frid, former child actress
Renee Geyer, soul singer
Alan Gold, author
Libby Gorr, comedian
David Helfgott, pianist
David Hirschfelder, film composer
Elena Kats-Chernin, composer
Danny Katz, writer/comedian
Tony Krawitz, film maker
Ben Lee, singer/songwriter
Frederick Lee, model/actor
Andrew Lesnie, cinematographer (unconfirmed)
Lior, singer/songwriter
David Malouf, writer (Jewish mother)
Keren Minshell, lead singer of 90's band Euphoria
Isaac Nathan Australia's first composer
Helmut Newton, photographer
Elliot Perlman, writer
Roy Rene, clown
Lara Sacher, actress
John Safran, comedian/documentarian
Harry Seidler, architect
Austen Tayshus, comedian
Simon Tedeschi, pianist
Yidcore's Members (Bram, Myki, Tim and Rory), Jewish Punk Band, from Melbourne, Australia

Political figures
Peter Baume, Liberal cabinet minister, chancellor of ANU
Moss Cass, Labor cabinet minister
Barry Cohen, Labor cabinet minister
Sir Zelman Cowen, Governor General (1977-1982)
Michael Danby, Labor member of the Australian House of Representatives
Marcus Einfeld, Federal Court judge & human rights activist
Sir Isaac Isaacs, Governor General (1931-1936)
Sir John Monash, World War I general
James Wolfensohn, World Bank president
Jeff Kennett, Premier of Victoria (Jewish Grandmother)
Joe Berinson, Labor cabinet minister and Attorney General of Western Australia

Religious figures
Rabbi Raymond Apple, ex-member of the Sydney Beth Din & ex-chief Rabbi of New South Wales.
Rabbi Pinchus Feldman, chief Rabbi of New South Wales and dean of the Yeshiva Centre.
Rabbi Yitzchok Dovid Groner, director of many Chabad operations in Victoria.
Rabbi Chaim Gutnick, late chief Rabbi of Victoria & president of the Rabbinical Council of Victoria.
Mr Abraham Rabinovitch, philanthropist and founder of Sydney's main Orthodox Jewish educational institutions.

Sports figures
Michael Klinger, cricketer
Albert Rosenfeld, rugby league player
Lionel Van Praag, speedway champion

As for the 7 million American Jews such as myself, we are concentrated in the New York-New Jersey area, and additionally have massive populations in Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Cleveland. Though we exist in the middle of nowhere, as indicated by Tubeway General... ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 10:49 am

Axle grease  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 10:51 am

We have nutella! For crepes, that is...

I looked this up: There are 150,000 Australian Jews. Many are Holocaust survivors/refugees and new immigrants from the USSR and Russia. Here are some areas where they live:

Inner suburbs of Melbourne-St. Kilda, Caulfield, Elwood, Elsternwick, and Toorak.
Inner suburbs of Sydney-Bondi, Dover Heights, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, St. Ives, Hunter's Hill.

Smaller populations in Perth and the Gold Coast.

Famous Jewish-Australians:

Academic figures
Samuel Alexander, philosopher
Joseph Jacobs, historian & folklorist
Kurt Mahler, mathematician
Robert Manne, academic & social critic
Bernhard Neumann, mathematician
Gustav Nossal, immunologist (Jewish father)
Peter Singer, philosopher

Business figures
Sir Peter Abeles, former chairman of Ansett
Rodney Adler, CEO of doomed HIH Insurance
John Gandel & Marc Besen, founder/owners of Chadstone Shopping Centre and Sussan fashion chain
Joseph Gutnick, mining magnate & ex-President of Melbourne F.C.
Frank Lowy, founder of The Westfield Group
Sidney Myer, founder of Myer department store & philanthropist
Leon & Richard Pratt, founder/owners of Visy Industries
Rene Rivkin, stockbroker
Smorgon family, founder/owners of Smorgon Steel and other businesses
John Saunders, co-founder of The Westfield Group
Harry Triguboff, billionaire, Meriton Apartments

Cultural figures
Claudia Black, actress
Rachel Berger, comedian
Lily Brett, writer
Geraldine Brooks, Pulitzer Prize winning writer
Saskia Burmeister, actress
Judy Cassab, painter
Deborah Conway, singer/songwriter
Andrew Denton, journalist, host of Enough Rope
Isla Fisher, model & actress (converted)
Luke Ford, Los Angeles gossip columnist, journalist, moral leader (converted)
Amelia Frid, former child actress
Renee Geyer, soul singer
Alan Gold, author
Libby Gorr, comedian
David Helfgott, pianist
David Hirschfelder, film composer
Elena Kats-Chernin, composer
Danny Katz, writer/comedian
Tony Krawitz, film maker
Ben Lee, singer/songwriter
Frederick Lee, model/actor
Andrew Lesnie, cinematographer (unconfirmed)
Lior, singer/songwriter
David Malouf, writer (Jewish mother)
Keren Minshell, lead singer of 90's band Euphoria
Isaac Nathan Australia's first composer
Helmut Newton, photographer
Elliot Perlman, writer
Roy Rene, clown
Lara Sacher, actress
John Safran, comedian/documentarian
Harry Seidler, architect
Austen Tayshus, comedian
Simon Tedeschi, pianist
Yidcore's Members (Bram, Myki, Tim and Rory), Jewish Punk Band, from Melbourne, Australia

Political figures
Peter Baume, Liberal cabinet minister, chancellor of ANU
Moss Cass, Labor cabinet minister
Barry Cohen, Labor cabinet minister
Sir Zelman Cowen, Governor General (1977-1982)
Michael Danby, Labor member of the Australian House of Representatives
Marcus Einfeld, Federal Court judge & human rights activist
Sir Isaac Isaacs, Governor General (1931-1936)
Sir John Monash, World War I general
James Wolfensohn, World Bank president
Jeff Kennett, Premier of Victoria (Jewish Grandmother)
Joe Berinson, Labor cabinet minister and Attorney General of Western Australia

Religious figures
Rabbi Raymond Apple, ex-member of the Sydney Beth Din & ex-chief Rabbi of New South Wales.
Rabbi Pinchus Feldman, chief Rabbi of New South Wales and dean of the Yeshiva Centre.
Rabbi Yitzchok Dovid Groner, director of many Chabad operations in Victoria.
Rabbi Chaim Gutnick, late chief Rabbi of Victoria & president of the Rabbinical Council of Victoria.
Mr Abraham Rabinovitch, philanthropist and founder of Sydney's main Orthodox Jewish educational institutions.

Sports figures
Michael Klinger, cricketer
Albert Rosenfeld, rugby league player
Lionel Van Praag, speedway champion

As for the 7 million American Jews such as myself, we are concentrated in the New York-New Jersey area, and additionally have massive populations in Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Cleveland. Though we exist in the middle of nowhere, as indicated by Tubeway General... ;)

Ben Lee's Jewish? Had no idea...

Danny Katz contributes a column in the magazine in the weekend paper. He's a funny bugger  :D.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/06 at 3:54 pm

Axle grease  ;D
That narrows it down.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 4:11 pm

Is "Nipper in the dunny" a real phrase that actually makes sense?

I hear from "The Wild Thornberries" that it means "kid in the loo!"

:D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/27/06 at 8:24 pm

Is "Nipper in the dunny" a real phrase that actually makes sense?

I hear from "The Wild Thornberries" that it means "kid in the loo!"

:D

Yes, a 'Nipper' is a kid (read: ankle-biter), and a 'dunny' is a loo. When you come to Australia, and someone says, 'Red back in the Dunny!' You better be scared...

Written By: karen on 04/28/06 at 5:46 am

Is it true that people from Queensland are a bit crazy?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 8:45 pm

Queenslander's are nick-named 'Banana-benders', because the state grows so many bananas. I don't know where you heard that one from. Some North Queenslanders are considered slightly eccentric or 'troppo' at times; must be because of the tropical air, they say. But no, not all Queenslanders are like Steve 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/28/06 at 9:18 pm

What is Australia's economy based on?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 9:43 pm

What is Australia's economy based on?

You really know how to ask hard questions  ;).

We're mainly based on Primary Industries like Agriculture, Mining.etc. If you're interested there are plenty of websites and other fact-books on our economy.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/28/06 at 10:37 pm

What're the Gold Coast and Brisbane like?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/28/06 at 11:09 pm

What're the Gold Coast and Brisbane like?

The Gold Coast is a love/hate sort of place...It's one big theme park (I actually visited for the first time last December). Lots of high-rise, very tourissey, ritzry (theres countless theme parks.etc) - and a conspicous lack of historic buildings, museums.etc. Certainly, not to many peoples' taste, but still a must-visit. I must say I absolutely enjoyed my visit there.

Brisbane is often nick-named 'Bris-Vegas' though I would argue its not really like Las Vegas at all. Its alot wetter, for a start, sub-tropical in fact. In most ways its a bit like Perth, yet growing even more rapidly. Cranes everywhere. Like Perth, it has a close association with Aussie music. Groups such as the Veronicas, Powderfinger, Regurgitator - and going way back, the Bee Gees, have close associations with 'Brissy' (what the locals call it).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 11:47 pm

Is there a west coast/east coast rivalry between Perth and Sydey/Melbourne/etc., and are those in Western and central Aussie seen as rustic/redneck by Easterners?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 12:22 am

Is there a west coast/east coast rivalry between Perth and Sydey/Melbourne/etc., and are those in Western and central Aussie seen as rustic/redneck by Easterners?

Indeed, one can see close parallels between the two. WA is a bit like California in that it has a Mediteranean climate, and is often seen as 'supporting' the rest of the country (California with Technology, and us with Mining). But that's about where the similarity ends. To many people, WA is JUST Perth. One city of about 1.5 million people, so nothing at all like California, which has 34 million people and is a major cultural centre. So although we do often complain about the 'Eastern States', there's no real rivalry, because everything's out east.

The biggest rivalry is between Sydney and Melbourne.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 12:48 am

I believe that it was Queensland that won the Pura Cup (Cricket) for 2005/06?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 1:05 am

Indeed, one can see close parallels between the two. WA is a bit like California in that it has a Mediteranean climate, and is often seen as 'supporting' the rest of the country (California with Technology, and us with Mining). But that's about where the similarity ends. To many people, WA is JUST Perth. One city of about 1.5 million people, so nothing at all like California, which has 34 million people and is a major cultural centre. So although we do often complain about the 'Eastern States', there's no real rivalry, because everything's out east.

The biggest rivalry is between Sydney and Melbourne.

Interesting.  Most of WA is wasteland (in terms of what people can do with it, not its ecological value), so yeah I see what you mean.  The US West is pretty sparsely populated, outside of California, but there's still plenty of stuff between us and back East. Although the inland northwestern US is extremely isolated.
So, is Western Australia pretty much anything over the Dividing Range?  Is Darwin, for instance considered western Australia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 4:24 am

Interesting.  Most of WA is wasteland (in terms of what people can do with it, not its ecological value), so yeah I see what you mean.  The US West is pretty sparsely populated, outside of California, but there's still plenty of stuff between us and back East. Although the inland northwestern US is extremely isolated.
So, is Western Australia pretty much anything over the Dividing Range?  Is Darwin, for instance considered western Australia?

No, no, 'Western Australia' is an actual State in the political sense of the word, just like California is a state. If you look at the atlas, you can see it covers about the western 1/3 of the continent, so is a huge land-area. It covers about 2.5 million square km, and I believe California covers about 450,000 km2. So in other words, its over six times the size of California, the third largest state. In that whole area live just over 2 million people. So it's pretty sparsely populated...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/06 at 4:31 am

1. What do mainland Australians think of Tasmania?

Probably a stupid question.

2. Have you ever been to Tasmania?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 4:49 am

1. What do mainland Australians think of Tasmania?

Probably a stupid question.

2. Have you ever been to Tasmania?

The same way Kiwis think about, say, Stewart Island or the Cook Islands...we often forget it's there.

And no, I haven't been, though I would like to go someday.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 7:47 am

What're the Tasmanians thought of as being like?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/06 at 7:52 am

What're the Tasmanians thought of as being like?
http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/taz.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/06 at 12:02 pm

What is the exact address for the WACA in Perth, WA?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/29/06 at 4:44 pm

No, no, 'Western Australia' is an actual State in the political sense of the word, just like California is a state. If you look at the atlas, you can see it covers about the western 1/3 of the continent, so is a huge land-area. It covers about 2.5 million square km, and I believe California covers about 450,000 km2. So in other words, its over six times the size of California, the third largest state. In that whole area live just over 2 million people. So it's pretty sparsely populated...

Oh, okay. I see.  But still, doesn't the state, plus the rest of Outback kind of equate to America's Old West?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 12:57 am

Oh, okay. I see.  But still, doesn't the state, plus the rest of Outback kind of equate to America's Old West?

Hmmm, it's kind of different. Most of the Outback was never, and still is, uninhabited. Some stations out there are bigger than the whole of Belgium  :o. And we never had a real 'westward' migration. Our settlement was more based on the sea than the wagon train; most of the colonies were actually founded seperately and operated almost as seperate countries, trading with each other as such. Indeed, the nation of Australia itself did not come into being until Federation in 1901.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/30/06 at 1:07 am

Hmmm, it's kind of different. Most of the Outback was never, and still is, uninhabited. Some stations out there are bigger than the whole of Belgium  :o. And we never had a real 'westward' migration. Our settlement was more based on the sea than the wagon train; most of the colonies were actually founded seperately and operated almost as seperate countries, trading with each other as such. Indeed, the nation of Australia itself did not come into being until Federation in 1901.

So you basically have the east, Perth, Darwin, and then nothing else?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:20 am

So you basically have the east, Perth, Darwin, and then nothing else?

Have a look at a density map of Australia, and you'll immediately be struck by the concentration of population in the SE of the country - it's always been, is, and will always be the population-cultural epicentre. I guess it's a good thing the fastest growing regions (SW WA, SE Queensland, the 'Wet Tropics') are all outside the SE Corner of the country. We have a lot of land, but not much of it can really support dense settlement like in North America and Europe.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 5:24 am

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rp/1999-2000/2000RP09-01.GIF
It's striking, isn't it?

bigger version: http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rp/1999-2000/2000RP09-01.GIF

Any more questions?

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/06/06 at 3:20 am

What is the exact address for the WACA in Perth, WA?

The WACA is on Hay Street in East Perth

Here it is

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 3:21 am

The WACA is on Hay Street in East Perth

Here it is
Thank you.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 2:55 pm

What does vegamite taste like?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 3:28 pm

I think I asked that earlier?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 4:36 pm

Must have missed it....

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/06 at 4:42 pm

Posted then.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 7:52 pm

Sorry about that......  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/07/06 at 3:51 am

Axle grease  ;D
Was a suggested reply.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/07/06 at 4:08 am

Its vegemite not vegamite. Its a yeast based product full of vitamin b and iron. It has a rich salty taste to it. Very much an aquired taste. I have given it to plenty of americans who have liked it immediately - but there have also been a few who couldnt even handle the smell of it.

If you ever want some mailed over to try out - I am happy to poste it - I accept US choc chip cookie packet mixes in return !! I cant buy them here and the aussie ones that claim to be "genuine" just dont taste like real american cookies.

PM me if you want to try out the flavour sensation of vegemite.  And if you dont like it - it can be used up in stocks and stews. I always add a teaspoon of it to whatever I am making - specially if a recipe calls for beef stock.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:22 am

I haven't had vegemite since I was like 9...and I don't regret it at all!

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 8:47 am

Its vegemite not vegamite. Its a yeast based product full of vitamin b and iron. It has a rich salty taste to it. Very much an aquired taste. I have given it to plenty of americans who have liked it immediately - but there have also been a few who couldnt even handle the smell of it.

If you ever want some mailed over to try out - I am happy to poste it - I accept US choc chip cookie packet mixes in return !! I cant buy them here and the aussie ones that claim to be "genuine" just dont taste like real american cookies.

PM me if you want to try out the flavour sensation of vegemite.  And if you dont like it - it can be used up in stocks and stews. I always add a teaspoon of it to whatever I am making - specially if a recipe calls for beef stock.

BMG did you ever try Marmite when you lived in the UK?  I understand it is similar but not the same as Vegemite

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 6:28 am

I've tried Marmite and Bovril, which is a beef-extract. I actually don't mind Bovril as much as Vegemite; it's a bit less tart/sharp tasting than Vegemite. I still wouldn't go as far to say I like it.

Written By: karen on 05/09/06 at 6:45 am

Never tried Bovril myself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/06 at 11:54 am

Has anyone tried Bovril as a drink spooning an amount into a cup and pouring in hotwater?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 3:50 am

Has anyone tried Bovril as a drink spooning an amount into a cup and pouring in hotwater?

That use to be my mum's 'remedy' for colds, fever.etc when we were young.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/10/06 at 3:55 am

BMG did you ever try Marmite when you lived in the UK?  I understand it is similar but not the same as Vegemite
As an avid Marmite user, I do have to say I notice a great difference between that and Vegemite. Enough that I cannot stand even the smell of vegemite but still enjoy the taste of Marmite.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/06 at 9:21 am

That use to be my mum's 'remedy' for colds, fever.etc when we were young.
Did it work?

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 9:55 am

Did it work?

Well it stopped you complaining about feeling ill anyway  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/06 at 9:57 am

;D good point!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 9:57 pm

Or made you feel EVEN MORE ill...lol

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/12/06 at 8:13 am

As an avid Marmite user, I do have to say I notice a great difference between that and Vegemite. Enough that I cannot stand even the smell of vegemite but still enjoy the taste of Marmite.

I almost concur, but in reverse, Luke.

Whereas I can stand the tatse of Marmite (which I find similar to Promite, if you have ever tasted it) I find if much stronger than Vegemite  :o

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 5:19 am

I did, plus Promite. With both I found them to taste more acidic than vegemite - plus another flavour I couldnt quite establish. (its so hard describing flavours !!).

I am a vegemite kid born and bred !! I actually suffer from vegemite cravings if I havent had it for a few days in a row. Its likely that I am craving vitamin B or iron at the time. It usually fades if I have a nice steak - or vegemite on toast !!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 5:29 am

I did, plus Promite. With both I found them to taste more acidic than vegemite - plus another flavour I couldnt quite establish. (its so hard describing flavours !!).

I am a vegemite kid born and bred !! I actually suffer from vegemite cravings if I havent had it for a few days in a row. Its likely that I am craving vitamin B or iron at the time. It usually fades if I have a nice steak - or vegemite on toast !!

Kraft - the main manufacturer's of Vegemite - area an American company, as you'd probably already know. Does Dick Smith make his own Vegemite? Wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 5:39 am

Kraft - the main manufacturer's of Vegemite - area an American company, as you'd probably already know. Does Dick Smith make his own Vegemite? Wouldn't be surprised if he did.

If you actually saw which ciggarette company owned Kraft you would never buy from them again.

Dick Smith initially wanted to make a vegemite equivilent but has had problems in court regarding the copyright on the recipe.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:44 am

If you actually saw which ciggarette company owned Kraft you would never buy from them again.

Dick Smith initially wanted to make a vegemite equivilent but has had problems in court regarding the copyright on the recipe.

The way everything's set up, buying 'recycled paper' is probably supporting some paper mill in Brazil - indirectly off course. Not that I'm compacent or blaise about it, btw.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:40 pm

Anyone want to know anything about weather, climate and geography in general?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/18/06 at 8:23 am

http://www.smoke-free.ca/warnings/Australia-warnings.htm

Have you seen these new cigarette warnings yet, and what is the reaction from the smokers you know?

Written By: karen on 05/18/06 at 8:31 am

Have you seen these new cigarette warnings yet, and what is the reaction from the smokers you know?

Bleh!  Those pictures are horrible!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 8:46 am

Ppl my age don't really care...Well, funny thing, there's this girl in my uni course who smokes, and she saw the picture on the packet and went 'eww hope that doesn't happens to me', and then took a ciggy out for a smoke... ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 9:15 am

Ask me about Perth...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/22/06 at 5:02 am

Anyone want to know anything about weather, climate and geography in general?
What is the ski (or snow in general) like in Australia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 5:46 am

What is the ski (or snow in general) like in Australia?

At the best of times we have a larger skiable area than Switzerland! Only the highest parts of the G.D.R. receive enough snow to support a viable ski-industry. These are main located in the 'Australian Alps' which include the Snowy Mountains, and the Highlands of Victoria. The principle reports are Mount Hotham and Buller in Victoria, Perisher Blue and Thredbo in New South Wales. Of course don't expect world class ski-runs comparable to the Alps or the Rockies, but the ski-fields offer a variety of terrain to suit all skill levels.

Snow is uncommon outside the Australian Alps, and highlands of Southern Australia, and whenever it falls it is usually a big media event. Snow falls every few years in Hobart, perhaps once a decade in Melbourne, and once or twice in year in the nation's capital, Canberra. Snow is rare or non-present in the other capital cities. For more info, go to:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ozthunder/frost.htm

Hope that answered your question!  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 05/22/06 at 6:00 am

At the best of times we have a larger skiable area than Switzerland! Only the highest parts of the G.D.R. receive enough snow to support a viable ski-industry. These are main located in the 'Australian Alps' which include the Snowy Mountains, and the Highlands of Victoria. The principle reports are Mount Hotham and Buller in Victoria, Perisher Blue and Thredbo in New South Wales. Of course don't expect world class ski-runs comparable to the Alps or the Rockies, but the ski-fields offer a variety of terrain to suit all skill levels.

Snow is uncommon outside the Australian Alps, and highlands of Southern Australia, and whenever it falls it is usually a big media event. Snow falls every few years in Hobart, perhaps once a decade in Melbourne, and once or twice in year in the nation's capital, Canberra. Snow is rare or non-present in the other capital cities. For more info, go to:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ozthunder/frost.htm

Hope that answered your question!  :)

It's snowing in Katoomba, N.S.W. tonight - current temp; 3 degrees (37F)  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 8:48 am

It's snowing in Katoomba, N.S.W. tonight - current temp; 3 degrees (37F)  :o

Oooh, I love rare weather events like that...how much are they expecting? I remember last year it snowed to about 200m in Southern WA, which is an extremely rare event (think it was the biggest in 50 years). Hopefully this year we'll get more than a dusting on the Stirlings.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/26/06 at 7:20 am

link=topic=18635.msg911286#msg911286 date=1148305731]
Oooh, I love rare weather events like that...how much are they expecting? I remember last year it snowed to about 200m in Southern WA, which is an extremely rare event (think it was the biggest in 50 years). Hopefully this year we'll get more than a dusting on the Stirlings.

I think it was just a light dusting. Katoomba has on average, about five snow days per year.....or so I've heard...  ???

Written By: Paul on 05/26/06 at 7:26 am

Lovely!

I've consumed many a mugful at football matches...

They used to sell it in very handy granulated form some while back, but seem to have reverted to the 'syrupy' type...which makes it impossible to open the jar at times...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 9:52 pm

Keep em comin'...Else I'll rip ya bloody arms off!  >:(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 12:03 am

Do you have race jokes about the Aborigines?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 12:42 am

Do you have race jokes about the Aborigines?

What, in front of them? Not unless we want to get beaten up.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 12:53 am

What, in front of them? Not unless we want to get beaten up.

What are the stereotypes about them? For instance in the US people joke about African Americans eating at KFC.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:16 am

What are the stereotypes about them? For instance in the US people joke about African Americans eating at KFC.

Oh there are plenty...there wouldn't be space to list all of them. But most of them are, unfortunately, negative. And (I don't want to seem racist, of course, cos I'm very anti-racist) in many cases they do live up to these stereotypes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:31 am

Oh there are plenty...there wouldn't be space to list all of them. But most of them are, unfortunately, negative. And (I don't want to seem racist, of course, cos I'm very anti-racist) in many cases they do live up to these stereotypes.

I am very anti-racist too, but it's true that all stereotypes are rooted in truth, even if they're unfair.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:37 am

I am very anti-racist too, but it's true that all stereotypes are rooted in truth, even if they're unfair.

Yes, do you notice any such stereotypes in your day to day life where you live? What sort of interaction do you have with other races/ethnicites/nationalities?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:38 am

Yeah that's true stereotypes do come from truth, but they don't apply to everybody.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:39 am

Yes, do you notice any such stereotypes in your day to day life where you live? What sort of interaction do you have with other races/ethnicites/nationalities?

What races? I live in Oregon  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:41 am

;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:42 am

Seriously, though, although I am not a racist the media does sort of implant stereotypes in your head, but I would never make a racial slur upon contacting another race or ethnicity.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:42 am

I like reading the World Almanac, and there's a section on the states which has the % of each race in each state. I think Oregon had one of the lowest proportions of blacks, about average blacks, slightly above average Asians (all Asians) and of course was mainly White.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:43 am

I like reading the World Almanac, and there's a section on the states which has the % of each race in each state. I think Oregon had one of the lowest proportions of blacks, about average blacks, slightly above average Asians (all Asians) and of course was mainly White.

Oregon is part of the Pacific Rim, so in a way we're closer to Asia (and also to Australia) culturally then the East Coast is.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:43 am

Seriously, though, although I am not a racist the media does sort of implant stereotypes in your head, but I would never make a racial slur upon contacting another race or ethnicity.

Yeah I know, my parents have implanted a lot in my head too, even though they're fairly liberal they grew up with a lot of the stereotypes I guess.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:46 am

Yeah I know, my parents have implanted a lot in my head too, even though they're fairly liberal they grew up with a lot of the stereotypes I guess.

Is there still alot of racism (particularly black-white) where you live?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:47 am

I think so. The gangsta and glam rap makes it worse.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:48 am

I think so. The gangsta and glam rap makes it worse.

How does it make it worse? I thought it would make it better if anything.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:49 am

Yeah it's around a lot, but in private you know, more like jokes and stuff. My brother in law though is really racist he says some pretty terrible things.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:49 am

How does it make it worse? I thought it would make it better if anything.

It propagates stereotypes. It does make black people "cooler", but it also promotes the image that they're criminal-minded and materialistic.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:51 am

It propagates stereotypes. It does make black people "cooler", but it also promotes the image that they're criminal-minded and materialistic.

I think THAT images doesn't need any promoting...in a way people criticized Blaxploitation for the same thing.

Gangsta rap was probably worse - it gave the image that all Black people were violent and would loot the homes of white people. But in a way it also gave these communities a real Voice, so there are always ups and downs.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:52 am

it makes some white people blacks too because of the music.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:54 am

Is Blaxpoitation part of Hip Hop culture?

No doubt there is some of it in there. And many Black artists don't mind milking it for a bit of cash either.

But anyway, this is sort of getting off topic. Anything else you want to know about Oz?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:55 am

No doubt there is some of it in there. And many Black artists don't mind milking it for a bit of cash either.

But anyway, this is sort of getting off topic. Anything else you want to know about Oz?

What's Sydney like?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 1:57 am

Are there "wiggers" in australia?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 1:59 am

What's Sydney like?

Do a Google on it...but it's a really nice city. Very picturesque with the harbour, the Blue Mtns.etc. Of course 99% of all visitors here visit Sydney..A bit too busy for me (probably not by American standards, or any other world standards). Even though the focus of growth is now WA and Queensland.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:00 am

Do a Google on it...but it's a really nice city. Very picturesque with the harbour, the Blue Mtns.etc. Of course 99% of all visitors here visit Sydney..A bit too busy for me (probably not by American standards, or any other world standards). Even though the focus of growth is now WA and Queensland.

Isn't Sydney in a flat spot between the coast and the Blue Mountains?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:02 am

Isn't Sydney in a flat spot between the coast and the Blue Mountains?

The area around the Harbour itself is actually quite hilly. The western suburbs are quite flat - if you go, remember the Western suburbs are a generally poorer socio-economic area, very large ethnic populations, generally higher crime. The richest areas are around the harbour, North Shore.etc

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:02 am

The area around the Harbour itself is actually quite hilly. The western suburbs are quite flat - if you go, remember the Western suburbs are a generally poorer socio-economic area, very large ethnic populations, generally higher crime. The richest areas are around the harbour, North Shore.etc

Is North Shore on the Harbor?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:05 am

Is North Shore on the Harbor?

North shore of Sydney Harbour (Port Jackson). My Auntie has a big house in Elizabeth Bay, the most expensive suburb in Australia...the view is pretty spectacular. The harbour is their backyard. Blue Mtns is actually home to quite alot of wealthy people as well, even if it's so far west.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:05 am

North shore of Sydney Harbour (Port Jackson). My Auntie has a big house in Elizabeth Bay, the most expensive suburb in Australia...the view is pretty spectacular. The harbour is their backyard. Blue Mtns is actually home to quite alot of wealthy people as well, even if it's so far west.

Aren't the Blues invisible from the Pacific shore?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:07 am

Aren't the Blues invisible from the Pacific shore?

No they're very visible - and they look bluish (from the Eucalypt oil) from the coast.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:07 am

No they're very visible - and they look bluish (from the Eucalypt oil) from the coast.

Are they eucalyptus woods?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:09 am

Are they eucalyptus woods?

Eucalypt is a genus of trees - commonly called 'Gum Trees' (have you heard that song 'Home among the Gum Trees?' that grows throughout Australia. There's alot of forest in the SE of Australia. Blue Mountains are sort of hilly, semi-montane moist forest.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:10 am

Eucalypt is a genus of trees - commonly called 'Gum Trees' (have you heard that song 'Home among the Gum Trees?' that grows throughout Australia. There's alot of forest in the SE of Australia. Blue Mountains are sort of hilly, semi-montane moist forest.

It seems that the corners of Australia are the only wet parts.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:12 am

It seems that the corners of Australia are the only wet parts.

Yes, it's generally the case that coastal areas are wettest. Far North Queensland is very wet indeed - some places get about 6,000 mm annum - more than anywhere in the US. Cos we have areas of 'true' Tropics, not like sub-tropical Florida.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:13 am

Yes, it's generally the case that coastal areas are wettest. Far North Queensland is very wet indeed - some places get about 6,000 mm annum - more than anywhere in the US. Cos we have areas of 'true' Tropics, not like sub-tropical Florida.

The only tropics in the US is Hawaii.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 2:14 am

What part of Australia is Perth located?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:14 am

The only tropics in the US is Hawaii.

But the driest deserts in the contiguous US are drier than the driest deserts here. That's a fact (at least we have plants in our deserts, while no plants can survive in Death Valley).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:16 am

But the driest deserts in the contiguous US are drier than the driest deserts here. That's a fact (at least we have plants in our deserts, while no plants can survive in Death Valley).

Aren't Australia's deserts pretty well vegetated? On Google Earth Australia seems to sort of have a "brown greeness" to it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:17 am

Aren't Australia's deserts pretty well vegetated? On Google Earth Australia seems to sort of have a "brown greeness" to it.

Yes, they aren't as barren as the Sahara or the Gobi Desert.

Perth, btw, is in the extreme SW of the country, in the middle of nowhere.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:19 am

Yes, they aren't as barren as the Sahara or the Gobi Desert.

Perth, btw, is in the extreme SW of the country, in the middle of nowhere.

The Southwest is actually a pretty "green" desert in some areas.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:24 am

The Southwest is actually a pretty "green" desert in some areas.

The Southwest of WA isn't a desert. Parts of it are very green (as much as 1500mm over 60 inches), 2200 hours of sunshine and up to 180 raindays per annum (or almost 1 out of 2 days). We get just under 120 days of rain per annum.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:25 am

The Southwest of WA isn't a desert. Parts of it are very green (as much as 1500mm over 60 inches), 2200 hours of sunshine and up to 180 raindays per annum (or almost 1 out of 2 days). We get just under 120 days of rain per annum.

I'm talking about the Southwest US.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:26 am

I'm talking about the Southwest US.

Oh yeah, some parts of the Southwest are quite moist, mainly the mountaous areas.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:28 am

Oh yeah, some parts of the Southwest are quite moist, mainly the mountaous areas.

Some parts of the Northwest are dry.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:29 am

Some parts of the Northwest are dry.

Yeah, but even the dry areas in the Northwest have a surprisingly high number of raindays, and are often covered in low cloud in the winter months, so have a low evaporation rate. Wheras Perth gets quite a decent total, it also gets alot of UV rays.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:31 am

Yeah, but even the dry areas in the Northwest have a surprisingly high number of raindays, and are often covered in low cloud in the winter months, so have a low evaporation rate. Wheras Perth gets quite a decent total, it also gets alot of UV rays.

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington aren't like Arizona dry.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:34 am

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington aren't like Arizona dry.

Yeah, do you have an idea of the number of sunshine hours Eugene gets? I think from memory it was around 2,000 hours a year, which is quite cloudy.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:34 am

Yeah, do you have an idea of the number of sunshine hours Eugene gets? I think from memory it was around 2,000 hours a year, which is quite cloudy.

I'm not sure.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:41 am

It's the start of winter today yet the sky is cloudless...typical Perth weather. I'd actually prefer living in a slightly cloudier climate, all this sunshine's depressing when you're indoors all the time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:42 am

It's the start of winter today yet the sky is cloudless...typical Perth weather. I'd actually prefer living in a slightly cloudier climate, all this sunshine's depressing when you're indoors all the time.

I hate sunshine.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:43 am

I hate sunshine.

Then the Pacific Northwest is where you should be!

Yeah I know, I could tell by your pasty white skin... ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:44 am

Then the Pacific Northwest is where you should be!

Yeah I know, I could tell by your pasty white skin... ;D

;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:45 am

;D

Anyone who lives in Perth is sure to get a good tan.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:46 am

Anyone who lives in Perth is sure to get a good tan.

If it's like LA I'd imagine.

Us Irish don't tan though, we burn?

Aren't you part Chinese?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:47 am

If it's like LA I'd imagine.

Us Irish don't tan though, we burn?

Aren't you part Chinese?

Yeah I think originally I was part Chinese, but culturally I'm 100% Australian, lol. I can only speak English (did Japanese at school, failed horribly). So you're mainly of Irish ancestry?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:49 am

Yeah I think originally I was part Chinese, but culturally I'm 100% Australian, lol. I can only speak English (did Japanese at school, failed horribly). So you're mainly of Irish ancestry?

Actually I'm about 50% English, but I have Irish skin.  ;D

You are very Australian, based on your voice.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:51 am

Actually I'm about 50% English, but I have Irish skin.  ;D

You are very Australian, based on your voice.  ;D

Yes, I probably have a 'Standard Australian' accent - which most people have.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 2:51 am

I have a standard midwestern accent I think.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:51 am

Where is the Steve Irwin type accent spoken?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:52 am

I have a standard midwestern accent I think.

Me too, even though I've never been to the Midwest  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 2:52 am

Me too, even though I've never been to the Midwest  ;D

;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:54 am

Where is the Steve Irwin type accent spoken?

On TV...lol

His is on the broader side - a bit like Paul Hogan's - though he's from Queensland, and Queenslander's have a slightly different accent to us. Do you hear alot of the Australian accent over there?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:55 am

On TV...lol

His is on the broader side - a bit like Paul Hogan's - though he's from Queensland, and Queenslander's have a slightly different accent to us. Do you hear alot of the Australian accent over there?

Not a lot of Australians in Americans as far as I can tell.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 2:56 am

Not a lot of Australians in Americans as far as I can tell.

yeah there aren't a lot of australians here really.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:56 am

They're a rare breed.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:57 am

I know there are heaps in New York and L.A. Probably not too many in Oregon or Cleveland tho...

There aren't that many seppos here either - mainly tourists. So it's surprisingly how rarely I hear the American accent in real life, when I always hear it on TV. Did anyone check out my really bad imitation of an American accent? It's laughable...

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 2:58 am

On TV...lol

I remember Dana Carvey making fun of steve irwin on the tonight show, does that count?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 2:58 am

I know there are heaps in New York and L.A. Probably not too many in Oregon or Cleveland tho...

There aren't that many seppos here either - mainly tourists. So it's surprisingly how rarely I hear the American accent in real life, when I always hear it on TV. Did anyone check out my really bad imitation of an American accent? It's laughable...

Can you send the link again?  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 2:59 am

http://au.geocities.com/trimac20/american2.mp3

At least it works this time

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:00 am

I've got to hear this.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:01 am

LMAO, It's actually pretty good really.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:01 am

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. It's pretty good.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:02 am

he does sound very american.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:03 am

Thanks! Any part in particular make you laugh extra hard?  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:04 am

Thanks! Any part in particular make you laugh extra hard?  ;D

When you say B*tch!  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:05 am

When you say B*tch!  ;D

lol...I cracked myself up...I know it's really bad

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:06 am

Is the american accent easy to imitate? I know I could never really do a good australian accent, but you did a good job with that american.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:07 am

Do you feel like you're faking an accent, or forcing yourself to sound plainer?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:08 am

Is the american accent easy to imitate? I know I could never really do a good australian accent, but you did a good job with that american.

Yes, it seems everyone else can do a half decent American accent, but the Americans can't do other accents. Maybe cos we get so much American TV, and all you get is the Crocodile Hunter!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:09 am

Yes, it seems everyone else can do a half decent American accent, but the Americans can't do other accents. Maybe cos we get so much American TV, and all you get is the Crocodile Hunter!  ;D

;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:09 am

Maybe it's because the american accent is really lame.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:09 am

Do you feel like you're faking an accent, or forcing yourself to sound plainer?

Yeah, it sounds fake if you force it. The trick is not to overdo it. I think that was a pretty bad example, actually, I could probably come up with something more geniune if given the time. I'd love to hear you do an Australian one tho!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:11 am

Maybe it's because the american accent is really lame.  ;D

Nah, it's not lame...Just boring  :D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:11 am

Yeah, it sounds fake if you force it. The trick is not to overdo it. I think that was a pretty bad example, actually, I could probably come up with something more geniune if given the time. I'd love to hear you do an Australian one tho!

I should try it, I would terribly embarrass myself though. I've actually tried to imitate irwin when I see him on tv, lol.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:11 am

Nah, it's not lame...Just boring  :D

True it is.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:13 am

I'm putting one up now  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:13 am

I should try it, I would terribly embarrass myself though. I've actually tried to imitate irwin when I see him on tv, lol.

Give it a go...I knew I'd embarrass myself, but I thought, what the hell, seemed like a fun thing to do when I was drunk (well no I wasn't really drunk). I'd just like to hear an American try an Australian accent (which doesn't sound like a Cockney accent, I hate it how they always get the two confused  >:().

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:14 am

I'm putting one up now  ;D

Good on you! I applauded you for that!

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:15 am

Give it a go...I knew I'd embarrass myself, but I thought, what the hell, seemed like a fun thing to do when I was drunk (well no I wasn't really drunk). I'd just like to hear an American try an Australian accent (which doesn't sound like a Cockney accent, I hate it how they always get the two confused  >:().

the only thing I know though is "oh crikey"  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:15 am

Good on you! I applauded you for that!

Thanks! I'm putting up two!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:17 am

Here they are: review them honestly Trimac:

http://www.soundclick.com/posseoftwosrecordingspace

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:17 am

the only thing I know though is "oh crikey"  ;D

Lol. Or 'G'day mate,' 'strueth' 'Put a shrimp on the Barbie.'

Regarding my voice samples, I had to up the bass a bit bcos my $10 mic makes you sound like a shrill chipmunk when you speak into it!  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:18 am

How can he review something that you can't hear? What kind of mic do you have? lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:19 am

How can he review something that you can't hear? What kind of mic do you have? lol

Let me resend them  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:21 am

They're louder now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:22 am

Yeah they were like super-soft so I had to turn up all my volume dials right up.

But from what I hear a brave effort. I think you weren't trying hard enough, in this case, cos you still sound pretty much American! I'd probably get a better idea if you gave a longer sample (at least 1min), at a higher volume.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:22 am

Let me resend them  ;D

I finally was able to hear a little after turning my speakers all the way up. It's probably better than my australian.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:25 am

Yeah they were like super-soft so I had to turn up all my volume dials right up.

But from what I hear a brave effort. I think you weren't trying hard enough, in this case, cos you still sound pretty much American! I'd probably get a better idea if you gave a longer sample (at least 1min), at a higher volume.

I'm sending in a third, long one.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:25 am

I finally was able to hear a little after turning my speakers all the way up. It's probably better than my australian.

Let me give you a few pointers:

We pronounce 'a' like the Cockneys, but don't 'clip' off the vowels
'er is usually pronounced as 'a'. So better would sound like bet-a.
bet sounds more like 'bit' than 'bat' (a bit like the NZ accent but not as strong)

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:26 am

I'm sending in a third, long one.  ;D

Can't wait to hear this.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:26 am

Can't wait to hear this.  ;D

;D

I thought it was pretty good.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:27 am

go to www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo for this one.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:29 am

go to www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo for this one.

LMFAO  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:29 am

LMFAO  ;D

;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:30 am

;D

How many times did you say "we're from australia mate"?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:31 am

No idea  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:31 am

;D

lol...ah, that was a good one...

Don't want to seem critical, but your accent still seemed American, except for when you said 'barbie', 'mate', or 'pie' (which you mentioned alot). You still curled your 'r's' for one - that's a dead giveaway. But yeah, it's a start.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:32 am

Yeah, and we don't say 'bung a shrimp on the barbie' every five seconds! lol

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:33 am

Don't want to seem critical, but your accent still seemed American, except for when you said 'barbie', 'mate', or 'pie' (which you mentioned alot). You still curled your 'r's' for one - that's a dead giveaway. But yeah, it's a start.

How do you curl your "r's"? Sorry like I said before I'm kinda stupid, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:33 am

What kind of American accent would you say I have? Standard Midwest?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:33 am

Btw Donnie, why don't you just introduce yourself (using your normal accent) properly in the 'How does your voice sound' thread?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:34 am

I haven't heard properly to decide.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:36 am

Hang on a tic, I'm just loading a Forrest Gump impression onto my soundclick site...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:37 am

Hang on a tic, I'm just loading a Forrest Gump impression onto my soundclick site...

Here's my voice, when you're ready.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:43 am

It's at www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo now, sorry.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:44 am

Here's my voice, when you're ready.

You have quite a mature sounding voice. I could also see you as a radio announcer for some indie radio station (as opposed to top 40 announcers who always sound like their on speed or something, lol)...they always have that 'can't care less' sound to their voices. But yeah, you should really brighten up a little!  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:45 am

It's at www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo now, sorry.

Lol, very funny.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:46 am

You have quite a mature sounding voice. I could also see you as a radio announcer for some indie radio station (as opposed to top 40 announcers who always sound like their on speed or something, lol)...they always have that 'can't care less' sound to their voices. But yeah, you should really brighten up a little!  :)

Thanks! :)

How American would you say it is? Does it sound more "Hollywood" or "Jello"?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:46 am

Go to:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=532774

It's called 'Forrest Gump Impression' of course

Tell me what u think

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:47 am

Thanks! :)

How American would you say it is? Does it sound more "Hollywood" or "Jello"?

What's 'Jello?' Sounds pretty standard American to me. I thought you said you had a really loud voice? lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:47 am

Go to:

Tell me what u think

That's really good  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:47 am

Go to:

Tell me what u think

Pretty good.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:47 am

What's 'Jello?' Sounds pretty standard American to me. I thought you said you had a really loud voice? lol

"Jello" is Middle American.  I do, it's just really late  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 3:50 am

Yeah it's been a right laugh exchanging voice samples...I'll be sure to put some more up on my site. But now I've really gtg...catch u both later!

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 3:51 am

Yeah it's been a right laugh exchanging voice samples...I'll be sure to put some more up on my site. But now I've really gtg...catch u both later!

Ok c ya. I really should be sleeping now, but I'm a loser so I'm still up.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 3:51 am

Ok c ya. I really should be sleeping now, but I'm a loser so I'm still up.

Same here. c ya :)

Written By: Paul on 06/01/06 at 7:09 am

Try pronouncing the name 'Emma Chizzet'...

There!

You're saying 'How much is it?' in pure Strine...!

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 1:07 am

Come on, ask me anything...

Does Australia still consider itself a part of the British empire?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:29 am

Does Australia still consider itself a part of the British empire?

I'm sure some of the Old-tie brigade do...but despite the fact we ARE a Commonwealth nation, we don't consider ourselves Britain's 'property' anymore. Well, Britain doesn't really HAVE any 'Empire' as such anymore, so its more a cultural thing than holds us to the 'Mother country.' But we're probably more tied to the UK than Canada, but probably less so than New Zealand.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 1:54 am

The reason why I ask is that during the 2000 Sydney summer games hearing commentary that Australia was on a major push to seperate itself from England and I think to even offically seperate itself from the crown. Although like Canada or New Zealand, Australia is thought of as it's own country, does it still have the queen as it's head of state? 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 2:55 am

The reason why I ask is that during the 2000 Sydney summer games hearing commentary that Australia was on a major push to seperate itself from England and I think to even offically seperate itself from the crown. Although like Canada or New Zealand, Australia is thought of as it's own country, does it still have the queen as it's head of state? 

In the most technical sense, Australia is part of England.

Written By: Paul on 06/05/06 at 7:00 am

Although the last referendum on the matter was close, 'Brenda' is indeed still head of state...probably 'til she falls off her perch...

Aus (and some others) may then take the opportunity to become a republic then...

In the most technical sense, Australia is part of England.

There may...just may...be some Aussie friends of ours who'd take umbrage with that!

Written By: karen on 06/05/06 at 7:29 am

Although the last referendum on the matter was close, 'Brenda' is indeed still head of state...probably 'til she falls off her perch...

From what I've read about it (and asked peolpe here) the vote was skewed because of the way the referendum question was asked.  Rather than just asking whether they wanted to become a republic the question was more specific on the style of government.

referendum ballot paper

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 7:30 am

Oh yes, I recall the Referendum on whether to be become a Republic they had (either 1999 or 2000) which was defeated due to the fact voters were unhappy with the model of a Republic presented, rather than the idea of becoming (I believe it was much the current government's doing, led by conservative monarchist PM John Howard). Even if we did become a Republic (which probably won't happen for awhile) we'd still keep the flag, national anthem.etc, and of course the Queen would be welcomed just as warmly (not that I have anything against the Royal family, just that I'm an avid patriot and Republican, and think it is about time).

Written By: jackas on 06/05/06 at 1:31 pm

What the heck is a jackaroo?  I've seen the word in lots of places and I always thought is was supposed to be term for a made up animal, a mix between a jack rabbit and a kangaroo. ;D  Lay the truth on me, will ya.

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/06/06 at 1:52 pm

How do the Darling & Murray Rivers begin?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/10/06 at 12:55 am

What the heck is a jackaroo?  I've seen the word in lots of places and I always thought is was supposed to be term for a made up animal, a mix between a jack rabbit and a kangaroo. ;D  Lay the truth on me, will ya.

No, it's the Australian equivalent of an American cowboy - a bloke who rides around on a horse mustering cattle (also known as a 'Stockman'). A woman Jackaroo is, strangely enough, known as a 'Jillaroo.'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 6:59 am

No, it's the Australian equivalent of an American cowboy - a bloke who rides around on a horse mustering cattle (also known as a 'Stockman'). A woman Jackaroo is, strangely enough, known as a 'Jillaroo.'
One of the Prince William or Harry was a Jackaroo recently.

Written By: jackas on 06/11/06 at 7:21 am

Cool, thanks for the clarification. 

Did you know we have a restaurant in the US called Outback?  Everything on the menu has an Australian name.  They have pork chops that are called Jackaroo Chops.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 9:37 am

Cool, thanks for the clarification. 

Did you know we have a restaurant in the US called Outback?  Everything on the menu has an Australian name.  They have pork chops that are called Jackaroo Chops.

Oh yeah, I heard about the 'Outback Steakhouse' (actually some of the American members on the board told me about it). I wouldn't mind checkin' out what they consider 'Australian cuisine' when I pop over there. Strangely enough, we don't really have many American-themed restaurants. We had a 'Lone Star Steakhouse', but that closed down. Other than that most of our fast food is American...

Written By: jackas on 06/11/06 at 8:02 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about the 'Outback Steakhouse' (actually some of the American members on the board told me about it). I wouldn't mind checkin' out what they consider 'Australian cuisine' when I pop over there. Strangely enough, we don't really have many American-themed restaurants. We had a 'Lone Star Steakhouse', but that closed down. Other than that most of our fast food is American...

It's not actually Austrailan cuisine, it's just a regular steakhouse with an Austrailan theme.  Here's the site if you're bored... http://www.outback.com/

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:28 pm

Bronzed chicken with corn cakes? Sounds interesting, but I've never heard of em...

Written By: jackas on 06/11/06 at 8:32 pm

Bronzed chicken with corn cakes? Sounds interesting, but I've never heard of em...

I think corn cakes are a southern US thing. ;D  But the chicken and shrimp looked delicious.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:33 pm

I think corn cakes are a southern US thing. ;D  But the chicken and shrimp looked delicious.

Yeah, if I went there it'd be to sample American cuisine...lol

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 3:36 am

There's an Australian restaurant in town.  I've never been because it looks proicey for what appears to be mainly barbecued meat.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 3:38 am

There's an Australian restaurant in town.  I've never been because it looks proicey for what appears to be mainly barbecued meat.

We have alot of British immigrants in Perth, and I've noticed a few British cafes/coffee houses popping up, serving the usual fare of Pork Sausages, Roast, bangers and mash, Yorkshire pudding.

Written By: karen on 06/12/06 at 4:16 am

We have alot of British immigrants in Perth, and I've noticed a few British cafes/coffee houses popping up, serving the usual fare of Pork Sausages, Roast, bangers and mash, Yorkshire pudding.

Heinz beans and ketchup?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 6:59 am

Heinz beans and ketchup?

Yes, Heinz Baked beans and tomato sauce

Written By: Rex on 06/16/06 at 9:02 pm

What are the best Australian wines? I've enjoyed wines from Penfold's and from Rosemount Estate.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/17/06 at 2:12 am

What are the best Australian wines? I've enjoyed wines from Penfold's and from Rosemount Estate.

Some of the most consistently best whites I have ever bought have been Brown Brothers (http://www.brown-brothers.com.au/) and Goundrey (their unwooded chardy is devine with lunch most days !!) http://www.about-australia.com/travel-guides/western-australia/australias-south-west/attractions/food-wine/goundrey-wines/

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 4:44 am

Anything from the great state of Double-you Aye!  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:44 am

bump

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/22/06 at 12:01 pm

Ask me something or I'll rip ya bloody arms off!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/06 at 4:49 pm

Where exactly is Ayre's Rock?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/23/06 at 10:04 am

Where exactly is Ayre's Rock?

Ayer's Rock (it's now known as 'Uluru') is in the Uluru-Ktjana National Park, about 353km SW of Alice Springs, in what is known as Australia's 'Red Centre' almost dead centre in the middle of the continent, in the southern part of the Northern Territory. It's a good few hours plane journey from the capital ciites.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 11:57 am

Ayer's Rock (it's now known as 'Uluru') is in the Uluru-Ktjana National Park, about 353km SW of Alice Springs, in what is known as Australia's 'Red Centre' almost dead centre in the middle of the continent, in the southern part of the Northern Territory. It's a good few hours plane journey from the capital ciites.
Thanks I was trying to find it on Google Earth.

Check for new replies or respond here...