inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About California!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:26 pm

Okay, I'm going on the bandwagon and seeing how this will work out. I enjoy answering questions and hopefully I can do just that...

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About California!

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 2:29 pm

Hi, fellow Californian!! :) I have a couple a' questions for ya:

1. How long have you lived in the state?
2. I know you're in the northern part of the state...what's it like up there? Also, have you ever been to the southern portion, where I've spent my life?

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/06 at 2:29 pm

I have a question ...

Is there any truth in that old Albert Hammond song "It Never Rains in Southern California"?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:35 pm

Hi, fellow Californian!! :) I have a couple a' questions for ya:

1. How long have you lived in the state?
2. I know you're in the northern part of the state...what's it like up there? Also, have you ever been to the southern portion, where I've spent my life?

I've lived here my whole, stinkin' life, lol So, that's about 24 years this May 21st.

Northern California is very nice. The county I live in, Contra Costa, means "Opposite Coast" meaning we're pretty much opposite of the East Coast. Where I grew up was in Pittsburg, a small town they use to call New York Landing due to it mirroring New Yorks harbour and them hoping it to be like the next New York Harbour (never happened, lol). Instead, it became a town known for it's Military camp called Stoneman, where many World War II, Korean War and some Vietnam vets traveled through before they ventured off to the sea. Northern California is known to be "soft" in scenery. There are rolling hills, mountainous regions, wineries, farm land, and of course, San Francisco. :0)
And, yes, I've been to SoCal about 8-10 times, yet, I still have not seen maybe more than a fraction of what there is to see and do.
Thanks so much for asking :0)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:35 pm

Have you been to Oregon before?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:37 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 2:37 pm

I've lived here my whole, stinkin' life, lol So, that's about 24 years this May 21st.

Northern California is very nice. The county I live in, Contra Costa, means "Opposite Coast" meaning we're pretty much opposite of the East Coast. Where I grew up was in Pittsburg, a small town they use to call New York Landing due to it mirroring New Yorks harbour and them hoping it to be like the next New York Harbour (never happened, lol). Instead, it became a town known for it's Military camp called Stoneman, where many World War II, Korean War and some Vietnam vets traveled through before they ventured off to the sea. Northern California is known to be "soft" in scenery. There are rolling hills, mountainous regions, wineries, farm land, and of course, San Francisco. :0)
And, yes, I've been to SoCal about 8-10 times, yet, I still have not seen maybe more than a fraction of what there is to see and do.
Thanks so much for asking :0)

Well that's good to know! 8) I have only been north of Monterey one time...and that was almost 15 years ago; in fact, it'll be 15 years this August. We went up to Santa Cruz (and visited the Mystery Spot)...and then traveled on to San Francisco for the day! It was quite exciting for me; I was 11 at the time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:38 pm

Have you been to Oregon before?

I never have. I would like to, but just haven't found the time or money. Maybe a good idea for a summer vacations :0)

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 2:39 pm

And yes, I believe it does rain in Southern California, lol. I think I have been in some SoCal rain, although it isn't very common. Jeff would be more familiar with this one :))

I love that song, though.  ;)

I sure would! In fact, it does rain in Sothern California...contrary to what Albert Hammond says. (In fact, I dunno that song.) Moreover, we had a storm last Tuesday...and my umbrella broke! :\'(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:40 pm

Is California really half Mexican?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 2:41 pm

Have you ever been in a earthquake?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:42 pm

Well that's good to know! 8) I have only been north of Monterey one time...and that was almost 15 years ago; in fact, it'll be 15 years this August. We went up to Santa Cruz (and visited the Mystery Spot)...and then traveled on to San Francisco for the day! It was quite exciting for me; I was 11 at the time.

Wow, that had to be exciting. I think my first time that I remember going to the city was when I was 10. I got to go on a field trip to Peir 39 and take a boat trip around Alcatraz and the Golden Gate. That's my first major memory of being there. Santa Cruz is a also a fantastic place to visit. I was there about a year and a half ago and had another great time :0)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:44 pm

Wow, that had to be exciting. I think my first time that I remember going to the city was when I was 10. I got to go on a field trip to Peir 39 and take a boat trip around Alcatraz and the Golden Gate. That's my first major memory of being there. Santa Cruz is a also a fantastic place to visit. I was there about a year and a half ago and had another great time :0)

Were you in the Loma Prieta earthquake?  I was a (6 month old?) fetus during it, so technically I was there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:44 pm

Is California really half Mexican?

;D :D Well, Caucasians are now considered the minority in California, but that doesn't bother me one bit. California has always had a strong Mexican heritage (and Native American, too), so the influence of Spanish/Mexican culture has always been evident.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:45 pm

I am a California native. In fact, even though I left California 8 years ago I've still spent about half my life there.

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 2:46 pm

When I was up there 15 years ago, we visited Ghirardelli Square, drove down Lombard Street (and took a couple photos of it)...and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge. 8)

;D :D Well, Caucasians are now considered the minority in California, but that doesn't bother me one bit. California has always had a strong Mexican heritage (and Native American, too), so the influence of Spanish/Mexican culture has always been evident.

That's right...I learned all about that last semester when I took a California History class.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:46 pm

Have you ever been in a earthquake?

I've been in one major earthquake (Loma Prieta) and some aftershocks and some tiny ones here and there.

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 2:48 pm

I've been in one major earthquake (Loma Prieta) and some aftershocks and some tiny ones here and there.

I heard about that one on the news when it happened...I was some 400 miles away from it, but I saw news reports on TV about it. In addition, the only major quake I experienced was the Northridge quake of '94.

By the way, I bumped up my discussion thread...so you guys can ask me whatever you like on it. ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/12/06 at 2:50 pm

Is it true as the song goes '..It never rains in California?'  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:51 pm

Is it true as the song goes '..It never rains in California?'   :)

Depends which part.  The redwood forests are very rainy, southeastern california is bone dry.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 2:58 pm

Were you in the Loma Prieta earthquake?  I was a (6 month old?) fetus during it, so technically I was there.

Yes, I was. I'm sure I've talke about it on here before, but I will speak of it again :0) I was 7 years old and all I remember is walking home from a friends house, falling down from being inbalanced and then running home after it and seeing our pool looking like a tidal wave in the air. My mom and brother were hidden under the table.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 2:59 pm

What's it like having Arnold Schwartznegger for a governor?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 3:00 pm

Is it true as the song goes '..It never rains in California?'   :)

Go back just one page - we kinda answered that same question for Jason (Whistledog) but thanks for asking :0) :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 3:01 pm

What's it like having Arnold Schwartznegger for a governor?

It actually doesn't feel all that weird. I have met Arny twice now. He came to our newspaper to be interviewed before he was elected and a second time about a year ago.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 3:04 pm

It actually doesn't feel all that weird. I have met Arny twice now. He came to our newspaper to be interviewed before he was elected and a second time about a year ago.

Cool!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 3:05 pm

I heard about that one on the news when it happened...I was some 400 miles away from it, but I saw news reports on TV about it. In addition, the only major quake I experienced was the Northridge quake of '94.

By the way, I bumped up my discussion thread...so you guys can ask me whatever you like on it. ;)

I kinda have the same experience with the Northridge one. It's funny that California is THAT big that you can't feel an earthquake of that size in your state. I will definetly give your discussion board a view - thanks for bumping it up :0)

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 3:24 pm

I kinda have the same experience with the Northridge one. It's funny that California is THAT big that you can't feel an earthquake of that size in your state. I will definetly give your discussion board a view - thanks for bumping it up :0)

No prob. ;)

Speaking of earthquakes, next Tuesday marks the 100th anniversary of the devastating San Francisco quake, which I did a report about in my California History class last semester.

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 3:27 pm

You've actually met the guy?? ??? What was it like?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 3:37 pm

No prob. ;)

Speaking of earthquakes, next Tuesday marks the 100th anniversary of the devastating San Francisco quake, which I did a report about in my California History class last semester.

Yeah, our newspaper did a story and several news stations are also doing documentaries on the '06 quake. It's a lot of interesting stuff. That's cool you got to use some of that info on your report last semester.  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 3:38 pm

You've actually met the guy?? ??? What was it like?

He walks as if he has air pumps in his shoes. He's kinda stiff looking and much shorter than I thought. The first time there were a lot of people around, the second time it was just me and a few people who greeted him.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/06 at 4:00 pm

How's the weather there?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 5:10 pm

How's the weather there?

We have a lot of microclimates in the Bay Area. Due to a lot of hillsides and different terrains, these microclimates can change within just a few miles of one another.

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 6:54 pm

Yeah, our newspaper did a story and several news stations are also doing documentaries on the '06 quake. It's a lot of interesting stuff. That's cool you got to use some of that info on your report last semester.  ;)

yeah... I wanted to do it on a subject that I had some experience with, and knew a great deal about, so that seemed like a good choice. In fact, it was one of the most significant events in California's history.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 7:24 pm

yeah... I wanted to do it on a subject that I had some experience with, and knew a great deal about, so that seemed like a good choice. In fact, it was one of the most significant events in California's history.

Yeah, that is a very significant part of California's history. I once recorded a program about 8 years ago called San Francisco - Into the Fire, which was produced locally, but it was very well done by Channel 4 (KRON). It gave a retelling of the whole night before and during and after... :0)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:31 pm

LA or San Francisco?

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 9:53 pm

LA or San Francisco?

For me...probably L.A., since I'm most familiar with that area.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/12/06 at 10:43 pm

How's the weather there?

For the past month and a half, people from San Francisco to Los Angeles have been sighted in Seattle trying to escape the rain.

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 10:45 pm

For the past month and a half, people from San Francisco to Los Angeles have been sighted in Seattle trying to escape the rain.

Hiya, FooBar! Are you from Californy too?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/12/06 at 11:03 pm

Hello! I'm a transplant Californian!

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/12/06 at 11:25 pm

We have a lot of microclimates in the Bay Area. Due to a lot of hillsides and different terrains, these microclimates can change within just a few miles of one another.

Do you think these rains will ever stop?!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 1:36 am

What are you complaining about? You live in sunny California, you should be grateful for a change, a bit of rain. I know I'd be.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 5:48 pm

LA or San Francisco?

Well, I would actually choose LA because I'm so used to SF, that it would be so fun to explore more of LA. Then when I get tired of it, I'll trek back up to SF for some cool weather.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 5:51 pm

What are you complaining about? You live in sunny California, you should be grateful for a change, a bit of rain. I know I'd be.

Well, parts of California are not ALL sunny. Like Northern California probably gets an equal amount of rain that a lot of Eastern States would get year round. We have more flooding problems than Southern California. And anyway, no, rain isn't a bad thing for us because most the time we're in a drought.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 5:52 pm

Hello! I'm a transplant Californian!

What part are you from?? I had no idea! (or maybe it slipped my poor memory  :( )

Written By: nally on 04/13/06 at 6:07 pm

We have more flooding problems than Southern California. And anyway, no, rain isn't a bad thing for us because most the time we're in a drought.

You do?? Now I would never have known that, given the floods that I've endured in the past couple years. In January of '05, in addition to floods in the L.A. area, there was a mudslide in La Conchita (a very tiny community west of Ventura), which caused some folks to evacuate; that town is situated right near the hills, and was probably not planned very well. :-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 6:14 pm

You do?? Now I would never have known that, given the floods that I've endured in the past couple years. In January of '05, in addition to floods in the L.A. area, there was a mudslide in La Conchita (a very tiny community west of Ventura), which caused some folks to evacuate; that town is situated right near the hills, and was probably not planned very well. :-\\

Ohh, I do remember those bad flodds down in LA. We've had multiple floods here. It may be because we have more rivers and marshes and even levees (kinda like New Orleans).

I live in Antioch, which is on the far left of the map.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ultraviolet521/california_delta.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/06 at 7:14 pm

Do you ever watch and do you enjoy the pbs type tv show  Huell Howser's California's Gold  on Saturdays

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 7:33 pm

Do you ever watch and do you enjoy the pbs type tv show  Huell Howser's California's Gold  on Saturdays

Yes, that's a lot of fun to watch. It's very interesting that he is so Southern, yet is doing this show on California.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/13/06 at 9:38 pm

Hiya, FooBar! Are you from Californy too?

Quiet!  People'll talk!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 10:00 pm

Is San Francisco becoming as materialistic, superficial and shallow as Los Angeles?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 1:03 pm

Is San Francisco becoming as materialistic, superficial and shallow as Los Angeles?

I don't know. San Francisco I think is more friendly in terms of that it isn't full of major movie stars walking up and down the street and it doesn't really have that persona of being a Hollywood town. Some people compare San Francisco to London, but I've never been to London, so I am not sure of that perception. We both have fog in common, lol. That's as far as I know. There are very high end stores, but nothing snobby enough to make you feel like an outsider. I feel like it's more of a bohemian feel, maybe like New York City's SoHo district. Plus, San Francisco is very nature oriented compared to LA.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/14/06 at 1:26 pm

I don't know. San Francisco I think is more friendly in terms of that it isn't full of major movie stars walking up and down the street and it doesn't really have that persona of being a Hollywood town.

Huh? I've been in LA 3 weeks now, visiting my friend Zella, and have walked down the road to Albertson's a number of times, and have neither run into Wilfred Brimley, Jack Nicholson or Big Nose Barbra Streisand yet....  ???

I was however honked at by a carful of Mexican homeboy wannabes as I returned with my groceries... ;D

I have been to Hollywood (North, West and proper) and neither have I seen the streets overrun with movie stars there either... there was however a homeless man on a corner in Hollywood holding a sign saying "Need Cold Beer"... ::)

It is my considered opinion that the myth of Hollywood is basically just that....

Written By: Zella on 04/14/06 at 1:29 pm

I was however honked at by a carful of Mexican homeboy wannabes as I returned with my groceries... ;D

Awwww...that's 'cus you have such a cute butt....  :-*

It is my considered opinion that the myth of Hollywood is basically just that....

Hollywood is a dump. No self respecting movie star would live there (not in the flat part anyway....) They're all in Malibu... ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 1:39 pm

Huh? I've been in LA 3 weeks now, visiting my friend Zella, and have walked down the road to Albertson's a number of times, and have neither run into Wilfred Brimley, Jack Nicholson or Big Nose Barbra Streisand yet....  ???

I have been to Hollywood (North, West and proper) and neither have I seen the streets overrun with movie stars there either... there was however a homeless man on a corner in Hollywood holding a sign saying "Need Cold Beer"... ::)

Well, lets just say the liklihood of seeing a movie star in Hollywood is much higher than roaming around San Francisco all day. Yet, this doesn't mean ALL of LA is like that. LA is HUGE and sprawling. San Francisco is fairly small.

Hollywood, though, compared to SF are very different cities. I've been to both several times, and it's not an assumption to think so.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 1:41 pm

Yes, that's a lot of fun to watch. It's very interesting that he is so Southern, yet is doing this show on California.

Part of the California lore is the mass migration of people from places like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas and Tennessee to there due to economic reasons.  California is kind of like an America within an America.. I'd love to visit someday. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 1:45 pm

Awwww...that's 'cus you have such a cute butt....  :-*

TMI, TMI  ;D

Hollywood is a dump. No self respecting movie star would live there (not in the flat part anyway....) They're all in Malibu... ::)

It isn't all that nice. I agree, lol. It could be better. Pasadena surprised me. It was very pretty over there.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 1:48 pm

[quote author=♫ M@

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 1:50 pm

Well lots of folks back East they say, are leavin' home most everday
Hittin' the hard ol' dusty trail of the California line, well across the desert sands they roll,
Gettin' outta the ol' dust bowl, think they're goin to a sugar bowl
Heres what they find, for the police at the port of entry say,
"you're number fourteen thousand for todaaaay"

Well if you ain't got the do-re-mi boys, if you ain't got the do-re-mi
Well ya better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee
California is a garden of Eden, and a paradise to live in or see,
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot, if you ain't got the do-re-mi

Now if you wanna buy a home or a farm, that can't do nobody harm
You take your vacation by the mountains or the sea
But you better not swap the cow for car, Better stay right where you are
Better take this little tip from me, because I look through the want ads everyday
And the headlines on the paper always saaaay

Well if you ain't got the do-re-mi boys, if you ain't got the do-re-mi
Well ya better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee
California is a garden of Eden, and a paradise to live in or see,
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot, if you ain't got the do-re-mi

:)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 2:10 pm

[quote author=♫ M@

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 7:01 pm

Is that a Woody Guthrie tune?

I think so, originally.  I heard it by Tom Rush though.

Written By: nally on 04/15/06 at 10:11 pm

TMI, TMI  ;D

It isn't all that nice. I agree, lol. It could be better. Pasadena surprised me. It was very pretty over there.

It sure is. My parents and I lived in motels in that area during the three months after the 1994 Northridge earthquake while our home was being rebuilt. We settled out there mostly to get away from the aftershocks, but also so we could be closer to where my parents were working at the time. I was further away from school, however, so we had to get up earlier in the morning and be out on the road by 7:00 AM.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/15/06 at 10:57 pm

It sure is. My parents and I lived in motels in that area during the three months after the 1994 Northridge earthquake while our home was being rebuilt. We settled out there mostly to get away from the aftershocks, but also so we could be closer to where my parents were working at the time. I was further away from school, however, so we had to get up earlier in the morning and be out on the road by 7:00 AM.

Ohh, wow, I didn't realise how bad the earthquake had hit you and your family. I am glad none of you were hurt or anything. Luckily, the '89 quake didn't effect us in any way where we had to live elsewhere.

Written By: nally on 04/15/06 at 11:00 pm

Ohh, wow, I didn't realise how bad the earthquake had hit you and your family. I am glad none of you were hurt or anything. Luckily, the '89 quake didn't effect us in any way where we had to live elsewhere.

Yes, we were living in a mobile home at the time, and it shifted off its foundation. Our insurance was able to repair it, and so we were able to move back in! For the record, the day we moved back into it was April 15, 1994...12 years ago today. :o The very next day, I got chickenpox. :-[

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 11:08 pm

Well, lets just say the liklihood of seeing a movie star in Hollywood is much higher than roaming around San Francisco all day. Yet, this doesn't mean ALL of LA is like that. LA is HUGE and sprawling. San Francisco is fairly small.

Hollywood, though, compared to SF are very different cities. I've been to both several times, and it's not an assumption to think so.

Yeah. I've only been to/through LA a few times, but I still have a good enough feel for it. It's also a bit funny 'cause even though I've never actually lived in SF, I've grown up around it, so it always felt central to me in a way. ;)

Even though SF is smaller, both in area and population (I think it's, like 750,000 now) it feels more "big city" than LA, which is like a giant suburb with gridlocked freeways, LOL. San Francisco is more New Yorkish than it is LA-ish, other than the West Coast influences, of course.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/15/06 at 11:41 pm

Yeah. I've only been to/through LA a few times, but I still have a good enough feel for it. It's also a bit funny 'cause even though I've never actually lived in SF, I've grown up around it, so it always felt central to me in a way. ;)

Even though SF is smaller, both in area and population (I think it's, like 750,000 now) it feels more "big city" than LA, which is like a giant suburb with gridlocked freeways, LOL. San Francisco is more New Yorkish than it is LA-ish, other than the West Coast influences, of course.

And, yeah, San Jose is quite a big city in itself, but for some reason San Francisco is still like the hub bub to be if you come to Northern California. There's just no escaping it, it seems - lol And as much as I like Oakland, sometimes it's hard to not escape the charm of SF.

Very well put. I agree very much about what you said about SF being similiar to New York. In a way, they are similiar because they're sort of on their own little island (even though SF is still part of the mainland, it's on a pennisula like piece of land)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/15/06 at 11:45 pm

Yes, we were living in a mobile home at the time, and it shifted off its foundation. Our insurance was able to repair it, and so we were able to move back in! For the record, the day we moved back into it was April 15, 1994...12 years ago today. :o The very next day, I got chickenpox. :-[

Ohh, I see what happened. I'm glad they were able to repair it. How weird the 12th anniversary is today! Talk about timing!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/06 at 11:53 pm

And, yeah, San Jose is quite a big city in itself, but for some reason San Francisco is still like the hub bub to be if you come to Northern California. There's just no escaping it, it seems - lol And as much as I like Oakland, sometimes it's hard to not escape the charm of SF.

Very well put. I agree very much about what you said about SF being similiar to New York. In a way, they are similiar because they're sort of on their own little island (even though SF is still part of the mainland, it's on a pennisula like piece of land)

Except for downtown, SJ is very suburban, even in the city limits. As far as day to day living, I think that's cool, but it does make getting around harder sometimes, LOL.

And, I admit, I actually don't know too much about Oakland from personal experience. My grandma and uncle lived there, and I remember visiting them as a kid (we lived in the North Bay, and later Sacramento at the time -- she died in '93), thinking of it as a different world. That one area (right off 580 on Davis Street) seemed kinda crime ridden. I wasn't used to hearing gunshots and such. However, I've heard there are some very nice parts of town as well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 12:08 am

Except for downtown, SJ is very suburban, even in the city limits. As far as day to day living, I think that's cool, but it does make getting around harder sometimes, LOL.

And, I admit, I actually don't know too much about Oakland from personal experience. My grandma and uncle lived there, and I remember visiting them as a kid (we lived in the North Bay, and later Sacramento at the time -- she died in '93), thinking of it as a different world. That one area (right off 580 on Davis Street) seemed kinda crime ridden. I wasn't used to hearing gunshots and such. However, I've heard there are some very nice parts of town as well.

Isn't that funny, how complex the Bay Area is?  The Bay Area, I'd say is the closest thing in the West to the East Coast.  Nowhere else out West can you go 8 miles in any direction, and feel 100 miles away LOL.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/06 at 12:13 am

Isn't that funny, how complex the Bay Area is?  The Bay Area, I'd say is the closest thing in the West to the East Coast.  Nowhere else out West can you go 8 miles in any direction, and feel 100 miles away LOL.

Definitely. I've often told people San Jose is like Super Mario Bros 3, where you can be in one area that has a distinct feel to it, then turn and go down the street, or up a ramp, etc. and it's like, Where'd this 'world' come from? ;D

I think it's because alot of the streets change names, and there's alot of different topography. You can go from a shopping center or a busy street, to what looks like a deserted country road in half a mile.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/16/06 at 12:15 am

Definitely. I've often told people San Jose is like Super Mario Bros 3, where you can be in one area that has a distinct feel to it, then turn and go down the street, or up a ramp, etc. and it's like, Where'd this 'world' come from? ;D

I think it's because alot of the streets change names, and there's alot of different topography. You can go from a shopping center or a busy street, to what looks like a deserted country road in half a mile.

What's also interesting is the terrain changes.  Most of the Bay Area is either urban, grassy, or oak woodlands, but in some places you hit areas that are almost rainforest-ish/have redwoods.  For instance, if you're ever been to Muir Woods, it sure doesn't seem like it's only a few miles from San Francisco.  Also, in some ways San Jose seems closer to LA than SF.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:29 am

Yeah, I haven't been able to explore San Jose as I'd like to, but it would be nifty to go into the real downtown. I've been in the part that has the HP Pavilian, but that's about it. I did drive "through" San Jose while driving down to Hearst Castle last December.

Oakland does have it's crime. One street to be wary of is I believe, Martin Luther King Dr. Of all drives, that one unfortunatly is not the nicest. I think there's also a main road near the airport that is also fairly scary. It has pockets of scariness, but the parts that are nearer to Berkeley/Piedmont are the ones I have felt safer in.

Written By: nally on 04/16/06 at 5:09 pm

Ohh, I see what happened. I'm glad they were able to repair it. How weird the 12th anniversary is today! Talk about timing!  ;D

We actually wanted to be out of that mobile home sometime in the early 90's (1992 or so), since the mobile home park was starting to go "downhill"; but the way things were going, we were unable to sell. So we were stuck there until I was 20, in 2000. It was then when we were finally determined to sell the place and find a brand new house...one in Ventura County, close to the ocean. :)

Written By: MLB on 04/17/06 at 11:40 am

[Huh? I've been in LA 3 weeks now, visiting my friend Zella, and have walked down the road to Albertson's a number of times, and have neither run into Wilfred Brimley, Jack Nicholson or Big Nose Barbra Streisand yet....  ???

You never seem to see these people because most of them get assistants to do all the mundand food shopping and don't usually walk anywhere either.  However, you have to go back sometime when they are setting up for a premiere or awards show and see the silly people that come out for that...not the stars mind you buit other outrageous spectators and street performers swarm the area for any hint of being "seen".  I usually stay in the IE far away from Los angeles but now and then you can't help but go back and see what's up.

Written By: nally on 04/17/06 at 5:15 pm

[Huh? I've been in LA 3 weeks now, visiting my friend Zella, and have walked down the road to Albertson's a number of times, and have neither run into Wilfred Brimley, Jack Nicholson or Big Nose Barbra Streisand yet....  ???

You never seem to see these people because most of them get assistants to do all the mundand food shopping and don't usually walk anywhere either.  However, you have to go back sometime when they are setting up for a premiere or awards show and see the silly people that come out for that...not the stars mind you buit other outrageous spectators and street performers swarm the area for any hint of being "seen".  I usually stay in the IE far away from Los angeles but now and then you can't help but go back and see what's up.

IE? I presume that's the Inland Empire...an area I'm not the least bit familiar with...except via I-10, through places like Fontana, Rialto, San Bernardino, etc. :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 5:31 pm

I'm actually considering living in LA someday, or maybe the East Bay. The East Bay is a ton like Jersey, IMO, from what you've told me. I remember we once discussed the East Bay as Jersey, West Bay as New York comparison, Ultraviolet251. I think I'm probably staying in Jersey in the long run, but I'd like to try out Chicago and California. Maybe the San Fernando Valley, like Tarzana, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, etc., or Pasadena would be good. Somewhere with a big gay Jewish community.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 5:53 pm

The East Bay is a great place to live. And as we all know, San Francisco is probably most famous for it's acceptance of Gays/Lesbians, so you may find it even more accommodating. Yet, all over the world, people have become more understanding for the most part than even maybe 10 - 15 years ago.

Written By: nally on 04/18/06 at 9:47 am

The East Bay is a great place to live. And as we all know, San Francisco is probably most famous for its acceptance of Gays/Lesbians, so you may find it even more accommodating. Yet, all over the world, people have become more understanding for the most part than even maybe 10 - 15 years ago.

Oh yes, that's another thing I learned about in my California History class.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/18/06 at 9:55 am

The East Bay is a great place to live. And as we all know, San Francisco is probably most famous for it's acceptance of Gays/Lesbians, so you may find it even more accommodating. Yet, all over the world, people have become more understanding for the most part than even maybe 10 - 15 years ago.
Indeed it is a great place to live and very tolerant of many lifestyles and if I could be anyone else, I'd be a lesbian. Or if not that, a lumberjack but they are not tolerated here as much so if you're a lumberjack you won't find it as accepting here.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/18/06 at 12:42 pm

Indeed it is a great place to live and very tolerant of many lifestyles and if I could be anyone else, I'd be a lesbian. Or if not that, a lumberjack but they are not tolerated here as much so if you're a lumberjack you won't find it as accepting here.

Yeah, eh hem, and what is a lumberjack exactly? Are you talking Paul Bunyan?  ;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/18/06 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, eh hem, and what is a lumberjack exactly? Are you talking Paul Bunyan?  ;D
a real lumberjack, and I was just adding a post when my lunacy took over, so whatever I said, don't hold it against me.  I was up at Tilden Park yesterday and saw the hills and the resevoirs from the vista at the top, and also the SF and San Pablo bays from the Arlington up in Kensington and the view was spectacular of the Golden Gate bridge and the water.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 2:31 pm

a real lumberjack, and I was just adding a post when my lunacy took over, so whatever I said, don't hold it against me.  I was up at Tilden Park yesterday and saw the hills and the resevoirs from the vista at the top, and also the SF and San Pablo bays from the Arlington up in Kensington and the view was spectacular of the Golden Gate bridge and the water.

lol, It's quite alright - I've had some days of lunacy on here and I think it's garnered some karma because there isn't a button for "crazy"  ;D

Ohh, yeah, I LOVE Tilden Park. It's very lovely on certain points that you stop at. I like visiting the Botanical Gardens. They have some fabulous sales there of plants. We've gotten quite a bit from those.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/19/06 at 5:25 pm

What part are you from?? I had no idea! (or maybe it slipped my poor memory  :( )

La Verne. I live close to Pasadena and only 45 minutes from Downtown L.A.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/06 at 11:17 pm

La Verne. I live close to Pasadena and only 45 minutes from Downtown L.A.

Ahhh, wow. What's it like living there?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/20/06 at 11:56 pm

45 minutes from Downtown L.A.

What's that, half a mile?  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 9:26 am

;D lol

The other cities are catching up...I think NYC still has the highest average commute time of any major city in North America (I read it in the 'World Almanac', which I like to look through in my spare time).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/22/06 at 1:18 am

Ahhh, wow. What's it like living there?

Nice, quiet, suburban.....sweet

I wish.

Written By: nally on 04/22/06 at 2:54 am

;D lol

The other cities are catching up...I think NYC still has the highest average commute time of any major city in North America (I read it in the 'World Almanac', which I like to look through in my spare time).

I love to read the World Almanac in my spare time, too! In fact, I have received a copy of it for Christmas every year for the past ten years. It's filled with all kinds of interesting facts. 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/24/06 at 12:51 am

I love to read the World Almanac in my spare time, too! In fact, I have received a copy of it for Christmas every year for the past ten years. It's filled with all kinds of interesting facts. 8)

Speaking of reference kind of stuff, I went to the Pleasant Hill Library which has a great selection of reference books and they had local phone books that dated all the way back to the late 50's. It was a lot of fun to sift through a few to see how things had changed over the years.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 5:26 am

Speaking of reference kind of stuff, I went to the Pleasant Hill Library which has a great selection of reference books and they had local phone books that dated all the way back to the late 50's. It was a lot of fun to sift through a few to see how things had changed over the years.

I also like looking old the microfiche of old local newspapers. You really get a feel for other times and how people lived.

Written By: KKay on 04/24/06 at 10:26 am

Why have I never really had a good time in California?  do you really think New Yorkers and Californians will never get a long?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 10:37 am

Why have I never really had a good time in California?  do you really think New Yorkers and Californians will never get a long?

They are the opposite of each other in many ways. And I'm not just talking geographically...

Written By: karen on 04/24/06 at 10:40 am

Get a long what?  ;)

Written By: KKay on 04/24/06 at 10:44 am

Get a long what?   ;)

heee heeee very very good.

Written By: nally on 04/24/06 at 10:52 am

I bet it was.

Phone books that dated back to the 50's?? Wow...

I'm sure it would be fun to look at old reference books, maps, etc., and compare 'em with those of today.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/24/06 at 4:02 pm

I also like looking old the microfiche of old local newspapers. You really get a feel for other times and how people lived.

Yeah, exactly. I LOVE feeling like I was there. Really immersing myself into that era. It's a fun feeling.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/24/06 at 4:05 pm

I am not sure what part of California you've been to or who you were dealing with, but I've been back East (not New York, though) and no one seemed to have any apathy towards me being from California and I was cool with them, so maybe it's just something we gotta shake off. I'm sure New York and California have a bit of an East/West Coast rivalry in a way, but I think both states have a lot of wonderful stuff to offer.

Written By: nally on 04/24/06 at 4:12 pm

I've been doing that a lot lately. The library at Cal State Northridge has a section with periodicals and microfilms of all the old L.A. Times and N.Y. Times. My dad used them a lot to do research on certain things, especially sports-related stuff. And I myself have used them, as a CSUN student. :) It's quite interesting to see those old newspapers.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/24/06 at 5:27 pm

I think b/c conversationally the New Yorkers will get bored by the lack of intellectual stimulation. Trust me, I only speak from experience as I live here.

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 5:59 pm

Depends which part.  The redwood forests are very rainy, southeastern california is bone dry.
  The winter in California is the "rainy season". If you ever saw "Grease" with John Travolta, where the drag race is~~that's what LA rivers look like. When it starts pouring, heavy rains for days, those rivers rise and overflow, flooding roads. Some cities also have no street drains or poor drainage system. Storms often bring flooding. Pacific Coast HIghway around "Surf City" Huntington Beach area often gets flooded an closed down. Accidents usually double after a dry spell when it rains. It seems So Californians don't know how to slow down. Does it rain in Southern California?

"man it pours"

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/16/06 at 7:04 pm

I think there are a few exceptions to that plight  :) There are some New Yorkers and Californians that are like peas & carrots.  8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/17/06 at 1:19 pm

I think there are a few exceptions to that plight  :) There are some New Yorkers and Californians that are like peas & carrots.  8)

I work with some New Yorkers who love it here. It's just a matter of acceptance and throwing all logic out of the window  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 3:38 pm

What's the San Gabriel Valley like?
What's the San Fernando Valley like?
What's Orange County like?
What's SE LA County like?

I need detail.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 5:45 pm

Does living your first 8 years in California (and being born there) make you a Californian?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/17/06 at 6:01 pm

What's the San Gabriel Valley like?
What's the San Fernando Valley like?
What's Orange County like?
What's SE LA County like?

I need detail.

I may not have a lot of detail, but this is from what I remember when being down there in July of '04.

The San Gabriel Valley is pretty. Pasadena is in there and the San Gabriel Mountains. It's fairly far enough to be away from the intense smog that L.A. has. I am not too sure of the climate, but it seemed pretty mild for being there in late July.

The San Fernando Valley I have never been to, so it would probably be best for me to not "act" like an authority on it.

I am still not that familiar with the South East of L.A. or Orange County. There is SO much to see in such a small amount of space that I can't actually remember which part I was actually in. East L.A. I know is rather seedy and probably where'd you'd rather NOT go, if there were any part of L.A. you'd visit.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/17/06 at 6:02 pm

Does living your first 8 years in California (and being born there) make you a Californian?

Yes. Be a proud Californian :0)  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 6:07 pm

Yes. Be a proud Californian :0)  ;)

I am. It's the best place on Earth :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/17/06 at 6:15 pm

I am. It's the best place on Earth :)

It's great. I haven't found anything quite like it yet.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 8:26 pm

Would you move back to California?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:39 pm

Do Californians really have much of a sense of pride in their state? I mean, seeing that most residents would have lived in the state for fewer than two generations, as opposed to more established areas like the Midwest or the South. Do Californians themselves tend to move alot within the state?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 10:12 pm

Would you move back to California?

I don't have huge interest in doing so, but maybe.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 12:54 pm

Do Californians really have much of a sense of pride in their state? I mean, seeing that most residents would have lived in the state for fewer than two generations, as opposed to more established areas like the Midwest or the South. Do Californians themselves tend to move alot within the state?

I think we do have a small sense of pride in our state. We have a lot to offer, but that's probably due to our large size.

Californians probably do move a lot within the state because it's hard to get out of it in the first place. A lot of people I know tend to keep inching their way up north and then eventually into Oregon. Or some tend to inch their way towards Nevada and then eventually live there.

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 1:11 pm

Is it true?

Can you not see California without Marlon Brando's eyes?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/18/06 at 6:59 pm

I think we do have a small sense of pride in our state. We have a lot to offer, but that's probably due to our large size.

Californians probably do move a lot within the state because it's hard to get out of it in the first place. A lot of people I know tend to keep inching their way up north and then eventually into Oregon. Or some tend to inch their way towards Nevada and then eventually live there.

I'm probably going to try out living in California for a summer at least, maybe L.A., like Sherman Oaks or North Hollywood.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 7:07 pm

Is it true?

Can you not see California without Marlon Brando's eyes?

Ohh, boy, I am not sure what this means - can you enlighten me more?  :-\\

(is it a famous phrase/quote?)

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 10:35 pm

Ohh, boy, I am not sure what this means - can you enlighten me more?  :-\\

(is it a famous phrase/quote?)

No, not famous, but yes, a quote.

From the song 'Eyeless' by Slipknot. Refers to out inability to see things properly, only through Hollywoods screen.

I was just messing with ya  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 10:48 pm

No, not famous, but yes, a quote.

From the song 'Eyeless' by Slipknot. Refers to out inability to see things properly, only through Hollywoods screen.

I was just messing with ya  ;)

I gotcha  ;)  That's an interesting quote. I think Hollywood has *unfortunatly* manufactured a lot of things as how "we" should see them and not through our own perspective. Yet, I just don't know what I would do without movies and that magical feeling of "escaping" from life because of them.

Hollywood isn't what it's all cracked up to be. Outside of that, L.A. has so much more to do and enjoy.

Check for new replies or respond here...