inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About Massachusetts

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 4:13 pm

Well, I'll try to answer, if I can.  No guarantees.

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About Massachusetts

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/06 at 4:30 pm

I don't really have a question. I just didn't want your thread to end up on page 2.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 4:34 pm

Why is your state so small?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 4:45 pm

Why is your state so small?

When it started out it comprised Massachusetts and a Maine but Maine went off on its own.  It is
probably small because when the settlers first came here they kinda stuck close together because
they were all confused on how they were going to survive.  The French were to the north and the
Spanish to the south, and alot of the business going on was with the sea, fishing and commerce
because the land is not easy to farm.  You don't have large scale farms or ranches around here.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 4:49 pm

When it started out it comprised Massachusetts and a Maine but Maine went off on its own.  It is
probably small because when the settlers first came here they kinda stuck close together because
they were all confused on how they were going to survive.  The French were to the north and the
Spanish to the south, and alot of the business going on was with the sea, fishing and commerce
because the land is not easy to farm.  You don't have large scale farms or ranches around here.

Isn't it like solid forest?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 5:12 pm

Do all the people in Massachusetts have that Bostonian accent, or is it just comprised to a small amount of people?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:22 pm

Do all the people in Massachusetts have that Bostonian accent, or is it just comprised to a small amount of people?

Only a few have what is known as a Boston accent.  People who have been here for a couple of generations and have not lived in ethnic enclaves like the North End or Southie.  There actually are discernible differences, but I think you have to be from here to pick up on them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 5:25 pm

Only a few have what is known as a Boston accent.  People who have been here for a couple of generations and have not lived in ethnic enclaves like the North End or Southie.  There actually are discernible differences, but I think you have to be from here to pick up on them.

I see. Now, when you mentioned Southie, I remember in the movie "Good Will Hunting" Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's chracters were from Southie, and their accents were prominent, but not quite as strong as, lets say, JFK's.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/12/06 at 5:48 pm

Where in Massachusetts do you live? Is it anywhere near Boston?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:56 pm

Isn't it like solid forest?

A lot of forest, but not real dense.  The problem is that it is so hilly and rocky.  Lots and lots of
rocks.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 5:59 pm

I see. Now, when you mentioned Southie, I remember in the movie "Good Will Hunting" Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's chracters were from Southie, and their accents were prominent, but not quite as strong as, lets say, JFK's.

JFK had an Irish Boston Accent.  Ben Afflecks character didn't quite get it right.  I work with lots and lots
of Southie Irish.

Where in Massachusetts do you live? Is it anywhere near Boston?

Two cities north. Malden

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 6:18 pm

JFK had an Irish Boston Accent.  Ben Afflecks character didn't quite get it right.  I work with lots and lots
of Southie Irish.

Ahh, okay. So, I guess there's a slight difference between Southie Irish and just Irish Boston - or are they one and the same?
One time when I was in South Carolina, a lady was selling us tickets to a show, and she had a very strong Boston accent. I can't remember what kind it was, but she said she was from there.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/12/06 at 6:47 pm

Ahh, okay. So, I guess there's a slight difference between Southie Irish and just Irish Boston - or are they one and the same?
One time when I was in South Carolina, a lady was selling us tickets to a show, and she had a very strong Boston accent. I can't remember what kind it was, but she said she was from there.

Southie is(was) an Irish enclave whereas the other areas of Boston were a bit more diversified, so they have a bit of their own accent.

Why is the North part called "North End", but the South part called "Southie"?

No rhyme or reason.  oh, Southie isn't in the South part of Boston, that would be Mattapan.  It is acutally more East, the West End in Next to the North End, and no where near the West section of Boston, which would be Jamaica Plain. :o

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/12/06 at 6:49 pm

No rhyme or reason.  oh, Southie isn't in the South part of Boston, that would be Mattapan.  It is acutally more East, the West End in Next to the North End, and no where near the West section of Boston, which would be Jamaica Plain. :o

:o Is this a plot to keep all tourists in a perpetual state of helplessness?  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 6:56 pm

Southie is(was) an Irish enclave whereas the other areas of Boston were a bit more diversified, so they have a bit of their own accent.

Ahh, okay. I am glad I am learning this. This is interesting info. Thank you.

I am thoroughly confused and bewildered, but a lot of major cities have these sorts of confusions with district names. San Francisco, though, is pretty straightforward.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/12/06 at 7:27 pm

Why does Fenway Park smell like a giant toilet?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 7:28 pm

I thought of another thing - Have you ever been to Plymouth Rock before?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 7:33 pm

:o Is this a plot to keep all tourists in a perpetual state of helplessness?  ;)

no that's why the streets have no signs in Boston. 

Massachusetts was farmed and logged heavily when it was first settled.  There is virtually no old growth forest left.  Most of what is wooded now, wasn't 70 or 80 years ago. It was pasture, and resembled England (though that's not why they call it New England).

The reason Massachusetts is so small, is because the other states that were founded near-by were by other religious groups that didn't want to mix their religious beliefs.  The western states are much larger, due to the rush to form states in the years leading up to the civil war.  Even though the size on the map is small, it's very densely populated in the eastern and central parts.  Mass. has 12 electoral votes which is more than several states twice/three times it's size which should tell you something.

I've studied a bit about Massachusetts history, since my family first settled here in 1650, and was one of the first 100 families to settle Conneticut.  I live near the second largest city, Worcester in the center of the state.  Worcester is one of the largest cities in the world that wasn't founded on a major river or seaport (and wasn't a planned city like Brasila).  It's population just recently dipped below that of Providence, RI.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 7:34 pm

[quote author=

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 7:36 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have.  I was also on the replica Mayflower.  It's a pretty silly little tourist trap spot really.  Even when I saw it at age 8 I was pretty underwhelmed.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/12/06 at 7:57 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have.  I was also on the replica Mayflower.  It's a pretty silly little tourist trap spot really.  Even when I saw it at age 8 I was pretty underwhelmed.

That's too bad. I thought it would be more interesting. But, I guess a rock is a rock, its no Ellis Island -  ;D

The reason I ask is because on my fathers mother's side they are original descendents of the Mayflower voyage. (the Chiltons)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 7:58 pm

What has been Massachusetts greatest export?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/12/06 at 8:00 pm

Because New Yorkers come to watch their beloved Yankees play there so often, they bring the smell with them.

Yankee fans smell like roses.  It's a mandate.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 8:12 pm

The "Pill" was invented in Worcester.  I'd say that permanently changed the world in the 1960s

Most natural resources we export, other states are better known for.  Lobster is usually associated with Maine for example.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/12/06 at 8:14 pm

The "Pill" was invented in Worcester.  I'd say that permanently changed the world in the 1960s

Most natural resources we export, other states are better known for.  Lobster is usually associated with Maine for example.

I've had some kickin' clam chowder in Boston.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 8:15 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/12/06 at 8:17 pm

Maybe they just collectively lost control of there bowels when they lost 4 playoff games in a row, after leading 3 games in the best of seven games series two years ago.  Greatest choke EVER!

Ooooh, like that bothers me.  I got over it like a week after it happened.  :)

Besides, I can admit we got beat by a team that wanted it more.  Sh*t happens and then you move on. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/12/06 at 8:29 pm

[quote author=

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:05 am

Ditto for Plymouth Rock.  That is all it is, a small rock, I would guess about 5 feet around, I could be wrong, but I do remember thinking "that's it  ??? "  The Mayflower replica is interesting only when you
think that all those people were crammed into that small space and came across the ocean.  From what
I have read, conjugal rights were not frowned upon, so these trussed up Pilgrims were doing it while
packed in dorm style. 

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:11 am

The reason I ask is because on my fathers mother's side they are original descendents of the Mayflower voyage. (the Chiltons)

One thing about the descendants, If you are related to one you are probably related to all  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:22 am

Fish would be up there, "Trust the Gortons Fisherman", then of course there are Necco Wafers along with Squirrel Nuts, Gypsy Moths, Chelsea Clocks, and thousands and thousands of college graduates every year.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 2:11 pm

One thing about the descendants, If you are related to one you are probably related to all   ;)

Wow, just 5ft. I guess it wouldn't be totally worth seeing that, but the boat does sound nifty to check out. I might head East during the summer, so Mass. may be on the list of places to visit.

Ditto for Plymouth Rock.  That is all it is, a small rock, I would guess about 5 feet around, I could be wrong, but I do remember thinking "that's it  ??? "  The Mayflower replica is interesting only when you
think that all those people were crammed into that small space and came across the ocean.  From what
I have read, conjugal rights were not frowned upon, so these trussed up Pilgrims were doing it while
packed in dorm style. 

You mean they were "getting it on" inside the Mayflower - Yikes! I guess being on a boat that long, you can get hot and feverish dressed up in all that puritan garb. I read that one of our ancestors died while on the boat. So, what did they do with the bodies?  throw them overboard?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/13/06 at 2:40 pm

Wow, just 5ft. I guess it wouldn't be totally worth seeing that, but the boat does sound nifty to check out. I might head East during the summer, so Mass. may be on the list of places to visit.

That's a couple things in Plymouth worth checking out, like: Plimoth Plantation which is a recreated village from the 1600s and there's a glass works in that town as well. 

Plymouth borders Cape Cod, which has a lot of stuff to do, plenty of beaches, bike trails, etc.  Once you get over one of the canal bridges that is (they get quite backed up at peak times of the year).

Massachusetts gets a lot of tourist traffic, #8 most visited state, Boston is the #10 most visited city in the US by foreign travellers:  http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0903702.html

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/13/06 at 2:46 pm

My home town, Concord, is gearing-up for our annual Patriots Day festivities:

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/spring06/patriotsday2006.html

Concord has a prominent place in early American history (The Old North Bridge, Henry David Thoreau, Walden Pond, etc.):

http://www.concordma.com/history.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/06 at 2:59 pm

That's a couple things in Plymouth worth checking out, like: Plimoth Plantation which is a recreated village from the 1600s and there's a glass works in that town as well. 

Plymouth borders Cape Cod, which has a lot of stuff to do, plenty of beaches, bike trails, etc.  Once you get over one of the canal bridges that is (they get quite backed up at peak times of the year).

Massachusetts gets a lot of tourist traffic, #8 most visited state, Boston is the #10 most visited city in the US by foreign travellers:  http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0903702.html

You guys are making want to take another trip there. I used to live in Mass many, many moons ago. I did go to Plymouth Plantation when I was about 9 or so. In the last 5 years, we have been to Mass twice (not including times driving through on 91 to get to Conn. or flying out of Logan)-once to visit Carlos son who was in the Boston Ballet at the time and another time to visit Salem. There is so much to do and see in your little state.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 3:13 pm

Thank you for that extra info. I would enjoy visiting the plantation. Another one I'd like to visit is in Williamsburg, Virginia. I've driven up and down VA, but never really got to see a major colonial attraction (well, maybe Manassas was sort of a colonial town).

Boston, as crazy as all the streets sound and the transport systems seem, I'd still make an attempt to visit it.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 4:25 pm

My home town, Concord, is gearing-up for our annual Patriots Day festivities:

http://www.concordma.com/magazine/spring06/patriotsday2006.html

Concord has a prominent place in early American history (The Old North Bridge, Henry David Thoreau, Walden Pond, etc.):

http://www.concordma.com/history.html

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is a favorite of mine.  People tend to think I'm odd when I say I am going to
visit Louisa, Henry, Nathaniel, and Ralph Waldo. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/13/06 at 4:56 pm

Have you ever been to Cape Cod?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/06 at 4:59 pm

I'm sure this question isn't directed at me but I will answer it anyway. Yes-when I was about 9.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:01 pm

Personally, I like Cape Ann and Essex County much more than Cape Cod.  Gloucester, Salem, and Rockport are great places. 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/13/06 at 5:03 pm

Danoo, do you have a favourite lighthouse in the Cape Cod area?

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:08 pm

No, they do have quite a few, but I don't go to Cape Cod very much.  I head north to Cape Ann.
There is a lighthouse in York Maine "Nubble Light" which is great.

http://www.alangiana.com/nubble.jpg

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/06 at 5:10 pm

Hi Danoota;    When the BeeGees sang "And the Lights all went out in Massachusetts" what the heck were they referring to?  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:13 pm

Hi Danoota;    When the BeeGees sang "And the Lights all went out in Massachusetts" what the heck were they referring to?  8)

Not sure, I think it is just a metaphor for feelings, emotions, and all that nasty stuff

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/06 at 5:14 pm

Not sure, I think it is just a metaphor for feelings, emotions, and all that nasty stuff
That's a good answer. it just popped in my mind when i saw the thread and I like them. have a great day  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/13/06 at 5:16 pm

. have a great day  8)

ditto

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/06 at 5:22 pm

It may also have been a reference to the black out in '65.

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 5:33 pm

Regarding "Little Women," is there really an "Orchard House" in Mass.? I always wanted to visit it if it exists.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/13/06 at 11:42 pm

Cat
it could be a reference to this & I guess I could seach yahoo or bee gees song origins

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/06 at 11:25 am

Regarding "Little Women," is there really an "Orchard House" in Mass.? I always wanted to visit it if it exists.

I know there's a House of Seven Gables.

http://www.louisamayalcott.org/

yup, I guess Orchard House does exist, and I bet our resident Concord resident knew it

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/14/06 at 11:26 am

Danoo doesn't, but I do.

I like the one at Toro, they have a tour inside it.  It's not the biggest or anything, but it's at least one you can visit and walk inside of.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 11:27 am

Are you in Teddy's half of the state? ;) 8)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/06 at 12:24 pm

Most definitely is an Orchard House.  It is in Concord.  About a mile or two away is Sleepy Hollow Cemetery,
that is where the Alcotts are buried.  You can visit Orchard House.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/06 at 12:30 pm

[quote author=♫ |١/|@

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/14/06 at 12:31 pm

Most definitely is an Orchard House.  It is in Concord.  About a mile or two away is Sleepy Hollow Cemetery,

Ever been to Salem? In my English class back in High School I read the part of John Proctor when we read The Crucible.  Then we actually went to see a production of it in Houston(very cool).

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/06 at 12:38 pm

[quote author=♫ |١/|@

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/14/06 at 12:39 pm

Yes, there is an Orchard House ( http://www.louisamayalcott.org/ ) --- it's in my home town of Concord.

The director of Orchard House, Jan Turnquist, plays the role of Louisa May Alcott at Orchard House & also at Concord's Colonial Inn.  Jan is a member of The Concord Players, ( http://concordplayers.org/Members2/TurnquistJan.html ) as am I ( http://concordplayers.org/Members2/SmallJohn.html ) --- in fact, Jan and I performed together in "1776" and in "The Concord Prologue" in 2004.  

Jan is the woman in the green dress to the left of yours truly in the following photograph ... this photo was taken in Lexington's Depot Square on July 25, 2004, where we were performing "The Concord Prologue", a series of dramatic historical monologues that tell the story of events in Massachusetts that led up to The Second Continental Congress:

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 12:58 pm

I love Salem!  It is definitely a must see if you come to this area.  The have the House of Seven Gables,
and the Witch House, and the old burial ground with Hathorne who was a judge. One of the women he
tried to him he would drink his own blood, and he had a stroke when he died and blood came out of his
mouth.  He was also the grandfather of Nathaniel Hawthorne who added a "w" to his name to escape the
shame associated with the name Hathorne.  There is Salem Willows, and a lot of Mansions of some of the
sea captains.  Great place  ;)

I have been to that burial ground. I can't remember all the places we toured. We were with a bunch a students who didn't have a clue. My step-daughter and I were more fascinated with the bookstores they had (since we are both witches) and could have spent HOURS in them but everyone in our group were waiting for us so we hurried it up. We had planned to take a trip back there without the students but it just hasn't happen yet.

Cat

Written By: Zella on 04/14/06 at 1:14 pm

Cat

Wow...I thought it was about the Civil War. Like that there Galveston song....  8)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 04/14/06 at 1:16 pm

Wow...I thought it was about the Civil War. Like that there Galveston song....   8)

In the same way perhaps as "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"... ::) :P ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 1:28 pm

Thank you. I realised it was around when I looked it up on Google. I actually do remember seeing a documentary of the 1994 Little Women film showing the original Orchard House. I guess it slipped my youngin' memory.  ;D

It seems like such a nice pleasant place to live. If I could have a house, that would be the one. Massachusetts is looking more and more interesting to visit :0)

Written By: danootaandme on 04/14/06 at 2:05 pm

Wow...I thought it was about the Civil War. Like that there Galveston song....  8)

The lights didn't go out just in Massachusetts in 1965, the lights went out on the whole Northeast.
I remember it well

www.cmpco.com/about/system/blackout.html

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/24/06 at 4:11 pm

Danoo doesn't, but I do.

I like the one at Toro, they have a tour inside it.  It's not the biggest or anything, but it's at least one you can visit and walk inside of.

They're just fascinating structures and great if there's a bit of history with them too. When we visited Marthas Vineyard we stayed at a really nice place in Edgartown (well it was the only place we could find open in Dec.) anyways the very kind proprietor suggested we borrow his little jeep to skim the island and see all 4 of the lighthouses there, we managed to find 3 and took snaps of them, must dig them out.
One was called Gay Head Light on the cliffs and built in 1799.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/25/06 at 5:42 am

They're just fascinating structures and great if there's a bit of history with them too. When we visited Marthas Vineyard we stayed at a really nice place in Edgartown (well it was the only place we could find open in Dec.) anyways the very kind proprietor suggested we borrow his little jeep to skim the island and see all 4 of the lighthouses there, we managed to find 3 and took snaps of them, must dig them out.
One was called Gay Head Light on the cliffs and built in 1799.

The Vineyard in December?  Well actually it was probably ok, the weather there tends to be warmer
in winter and cooler in summer than the mainland. The town of Gay Head has officially changed its name
back to the original native american name Aquinnah.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/29/06 at 6:36 pm

The Vineyard in December?  Well actually it was probably ok, the weather there tends to be warmer
in winter and cooler in summer than the mainland. The town of Gay Head has officially changed its name
back to the original native american name Aquinnah.

Thanks for that, I spotted that name Aquinnah on the map actually and did wonder if it was a native American Indian name.
Also I've been searching high and low for a pic of the guesthouse we stayed in to show you, it was just lovely like one of those old style Colonial mansions but smaller, probably a rich whaling Captains pad in years gone by.

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 5:47 pm

An Aunt & Uncle lived on the tip of Cape Cod. The whole family had the "Boston Accent". Have you been affected by the flooding?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/06 at 6:08 pm

An Aunt & Uncle lived on the tip of Cape Cod. The whole family had the "Boston Accent". Have you been affected by the flooding?

Everything was ok until my auxiliary pump stopped.  It wasn't real bad, I got about 3 inches overall in the basement, and since it had happened a couple of years ago, and we had notice, everything was up off of the
floor.  Still it s*cked. I am a mile from Route 1, which has been shut down for about 5 miles.  The towns in Essex County have been hit pretty hard, evacuations.  It is the worst flooding we have had in decades and
there are some small businesses that may not recover, and some people homes will need massive repairs, but there hasn't been any loss of life(knock on wood).

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 6:16 pm

Were there any power outages, like loss of electricty?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/17/06 at 4:32 am

I think in some of the neighborhoods gas and electric had to be shut off, but it isn't wide spread. The rain has subsided and right now they are just hoping the dams hold up.  In and around New England we don't have real big dams but lots and lots of small ones.  They are small but vital and if they give they could take out the city centers. 

Check for new replies or respond here...