inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About Ohio!

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 9:56 pm

Everybody else is doing this so why not.

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About Ohio!

Written By: nally on 04/12/06 at 10:04 pm

Okay! So Brian...what's the weather generally like over there?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:19 pm

Okay! So Brian...what's the weather generally like over there?

Cold and snowy in the winter, cool in the fall and spring, and warm to hot in the summer.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/06 at 10:21 pm

Do people in Ohio ever do that old gag ... when they greet someone, they say "Oh, hi-o" ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:26 pm

Is Ohio the most American place in the US?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:27 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:27 pm

Is Ohio the most American place in the US?

What do you mean by most American?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:28 pm

What do you mean by most American?

Most stereotypically American.  Don't Ohioans say things like "how come?", "hello" as opposed to "hi", etc, and love baseball?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:30 pm

Most stereotypically American.  Don't Ohioans say things like "how come?", "hello" as opposed to "hi", etc, and love baseball?

I don't know, we say "hi" alot here in Cleveland, of course that's here southern Ohio is a different place. Baseball is pretty popular here, but football (the browns even though they suck every year) are more popular here.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:31 pm

I would say Minnesota is the most American state. It had the first shopping mall in the country, as well as the 'Mall of America', as well as many other things.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:32 pm

(the browns even though they suck every year) are more popular here.

;D

What's Cinncinnati like?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:34 pm

;D

What's Cinncinnati like?

I've driven through there a few times, I thought it was a dump (of course so is Cleveland). One time part of the interstate was closed and we had to take this detour on some side road and there were some weird people on those streets, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:34 pm

I've driven through there a few times, I thought it was a dump (of course so is Cleveland). One time part of the interstate was closed and we had to take this detour on some side road and there were some weird people on those streets, lol.

Are all the Ohio cities dumps?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:36 pm

Are all the Ohio cities dumps?

Columbus is alright and pretty prosperous right now. And the suburbs of Cleveland (where I live) are nice.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:37 pm

Columbus is alright and pretty prosperous right now. And the suburbs of Cleveland (where I live) are nice.

What is a Ohio accent like?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/12/06 at 10:47 pm

I don't know, lol. Do we have an accent? Some examples for the way I talk are: root is like ruht, and the same goes for similiar words like "room", "broom". Soda is usually referred to as pop. I can't really think of anything else at the moment. It's kind of bland and plain.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/12/06 at 10:48 pm

I don't know, lol. Do we have an accent? Some examples for the way I talk are: root is like ruht, and the same goes for similiar words like "room", "broom". Soda is usually referred to as pop. I can't really think of anything else at the moment. It's kind of bland and plain.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I visited my friends in Ohio (Cleveland area) I didn't really find the accent much different from my own hometown. There might've been some slight differences but I'm afraid I don't remember specifically  :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/12/06 at 10:59 pm

Does Pete Rose reside in Ohio?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/13/06 at 6:09 am

Is Cleveland cool with the GLBT thing?
Tell me more about Cleveland and its suburbs.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/13/06 at 5:18 pm

Is Cleveland cool with the GLBT thing?
Tell me more about Cleveland and its suburbs.

The Cleveland area is quite liberal so compared to other parts Ohio I would say Cleveland is pretty cool with it, but this isn't quite California or New York either. I do like the area around here, the city isn't so great, but there are a lot of nice areas around the city and it's pretty cheap. I live maybe 5 miles from the city and it's very nice here, it's not so packed together and crowded like some urban areas. Even going into downtown is not so bad compared to some other cities I've been through, it's usually pretty easy to get around over here. The problem is there aren't a lot of good jobs around here.

Written By: shadowy_starr on 04/13/06 at 5:23 pm

What's the music scene like there? Is there a lot of local bands? ???

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/13/06 at 5:26 pm

What's the music scene like there? Is there a lot of local bands? ???

I've heard of a few, but I don't really follow any local bands so I don't know.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/13/06 at 5:29 pm

We were in Cleveland (Greyhound bus station)  once on the way to Indianapolis I think?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/13/06 at 9:37 pm

Is there lots of gentrification going on in the urban areas of Ohio such as Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinatti, Toledo?

Written By: Zella on 04/14/06 at 1:38 pm

Do you often find youself drinking a can of pop while sitting on a davenport on the devil strip near the expressway...?  8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 1:42 pm

One of my good friends is going to Case Western Reserve next year to study nursing. What's it like there? I think I'm going out to visit her in September on my way to Chicago.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 1:50 pm

Do you often find youself drinking a can of pop while sitting on a davenport on the devil strip near the expressway...?  8)

Wow, lol.  ;D. I have never really heard devil strip and I just looked and that's supposed to be common in NE Ohio, that's weird. I always used "tree lawn". Davenport and expressway I never use either, it's couch and freeway for me.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 1:53 pm

One of my good friends is going to Case Western Reserve next year to study nursing. What's it like there? I think I'm going out to visit her in September on my way to Chicago.

That's in the University Circle area, it's pretty nice around there. It's a few miles east of downtown. A lot of museums and stuff. Here's the wikipedia article which lists some of the places around there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Circle

Written By: Zella on 04/14/06 at 2:02 pm

Wow, lol.  ;D. I have never really heard devil strip and I just looked and that's supposed to be common in NE Ohio, that's weird. I always used "tree lawn". Davenport and expressway I've never use either, it's couch and freeway for me.

You are obviously 30 miles too far north then...

So, has the Cuyahoga River caught on fire lately...? :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 2:04 pm

You are obviously 30 miles too far north then...

So, has the Cuyahoga River caught on fire lately...? :)

lol. Not that I know of.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 2:19 pm

Oh and Sneakers are usually called Tennis Shoes over here.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 2:20 pm

Oh and Sneakers are usually called Tennis Shoes over here.

I'm not sure what's they're called in Oregon ... probably both.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 2:20 pm

What's the ethnic composition like and what ethnic enclaves do you have? Isn't Beachwood Jewish?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 2:26 pm

What's the ethnic composition like and what ethnic enclaves do you have? Isn't Beachwood Jewish?

Yea Beachwood is pretty jewish. Far west Cleveland (westpark neighborhood), Lakewood, Rocky River, Fairview Park there's a lot of Irish. Parma is pretty eastern european. There's a pretty big hispanic population I think in the nearer west side of Cleveland around W. 25 or so. There's the Little Italy neighborhood somewhere on the east side.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/14/06 at 3:20 pm

Ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 3:22 pm

Ever been to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

I actually haven't yet, lol. 10 years and I still haven't been down there, I have to go sometime.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 4:01 pm

Yea Beachwood is pretty jewish. Far west Cleveland (westpark neighborhood), Lakewood, Rocky River, Fairview Park there's a lot of Irish. Parma is pretty eastern european. There's a pretty big hispanic population I think in the nearer west side of Cleveland around W. 25 or so. There's the Little Italy neighborhood somewhere on the east side.

My ex was from Parma and he (like many from his neighborhood) were of Polish descent. (And yes, he always wore white socks. I never knew the reference to that.)

Cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 4:10 pm

Are you an Ohio native?

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 4:11 pm

Are you an Ohio native?

Yes I was born in Cleveland.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/14/06 at 4:12 pm

My ex was from Parma and he (like many from his neighborhood) were of Polish descent. (And yes, he always wore white socks. I never knew the reference to that.)

Cat

I'm part polish as well on my dad's side.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 5:23 pm

What are the different parts of the Cleveland metro area like?

Written By: annonymouse on 04/14/06 at 11:39 pm

what's round on the ends and high in the middle?

what popular fast food resteraunt was established in ohio?

what sit down resteraunt was established in ohio? (hint: it started out as a bar, and the name contains two names. blank and blank)

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 5:12 pm

When I think of Ohio, I think of miles and miles of farms. I have a postcard postmarked Cleveland, but don't recall passing through. Are there any major tourist attractions? What would people come to Ohio to do? Oh, it borders on Lake Erie, isn't it. How far is that from Cleveland and have you ever been there?

Check for new replies or respond here...