inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about Ebay

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/19/06 at 3:01 pm

Since I have a side business on Ebay, and have been dealing on there for years.....if anyone has any questions about buying or selling...feel free to ask me...I will try to answer them the best that I can! :)

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about Ebay

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/06 at 3:06 pm

I've always been curious ...

What do you do when you buy something off ebay, you send them the money, but they don't send you the item?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:08 pm

From your experience, the people who usually have 95-100% ratings from buyers/sellers, are the ones who are rated at 95% any much worse than someone who has like a 80% rating? So, far I've been very lucky with most I've dealt with. But, no matter what their rating, I'm ALWAYS wary of who I'm dealing with. I just bought a guitar for my boyfriend on there- my profile is under missscarlet21 :0)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:11 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/19/06 at 3:27 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/19/06 at 3:30 pm

From your experience, the people who usually have 95-100% ratings from buyers/sellers, are the ones who are rated at 95% any much worse than someone who has like a 80% rating? So, far I've been very lucky with most I've dealt with. But, no matter what their rating, I'm ALWAYS wary of who I'm dealing with. I just bought a guitar for my boyfriend on there- my profile is under missscarlet21 :0)

I usually have a rule of thumb to where I will only bid on someone's items if they have very close to 100% positive feedback.  I mean, I understand that there are times when someone might give someone unnecessary negative feedback, causing them not to have perfect feedback, however, IMO, I tend to stay away from people who have less than like 90-93% positive feedback.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:47 pm

I usually have a rule of thumb to where I will only bid on someone's items if they have very close to 100% positive feedback.  I mean, I understand that there are times when someone might give someone unnecessary negative feedback, causing them not to have perfect feedback, however, IMO, I tend to stay away from people who have less than like 90-93% positive feedback.

I agree. I don't think I've done business with someone lower than like 98%. Plus, one time I looked through a ton of comments and feedback to see how fair/unfair certain comments are. You gotta shop around!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/06 at 5:35 pm

What kind of stuff do you sell? Also, I am curious about how much you make from it but I know that is kind of personal question-if you can give me a general answer, that would be great.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/06 at 7:54 pm

What kind of stuff do you sell? Also, I am curious about how much you make from it but I know that is kind of personal question-if you can give me a general answer, that would be great.

Cat

hey Cat!

I mainly sell vintage/retro items that I happen to find on my many searches at thrift stores/yard sales/antique shops...etc....however, I do sell other things too.  I have a small side business in which I sell items for people (I pay for all of the Ebay/Paypal fees, etc), and then we split the profit.  I have sold name brand clothing and shoes, accessories, antiques, car parts, music, toys, books.....you name it, I have probably sold it.

You can make some decent money selling items, but it is a lot of tedious work.  It takes a great deal of time, taking pictures of the items, taking complete measurements/details, writing a detailed description and managing the auction....but it can be well worth it....if you have the right items.  There have been times where I have picked up a vintage shirt, or toy or something for a few dollars at a thrift store...and then can turn around and sell it for a LOT more than I paid into it.  For instance...I found a big plastic bag of unopened packages of scratch and sniff stickers from the 80's...they were in mint condition...never opened or scratched)....I picked up this bag of maybe 10-15 packs of them for only $1.99....and in return....I didn't sell any packages of them for under $15.00 EACH.....so, you see, I made a great profit.  If you do some research and see what is selling, and then you find those types of items....you can make some decent money....but it has to be a consistant thing.  I know there are people who buy items in large bulk (and that's great if you have the kind of money to put into that).....and then they split it up and sell each item individually. I was selling for this guy once who used to do this...he would go to these closeout kinds of stores (Gabriel Brothers), and buy tons of stuff (name brand clothing, shoes, jewelry, trinkets, etc)....for a bulk/closeout price....and then he would give me items to sell.....some of them sold really well.

My advice...find something that you know alot about and do some research as to see if it sells well, and then try a few auctions and see how it goes.  It's really exciting to watch and see just how much people are willing to pay for some people's "junk". ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/21/06 at 9:03 pm

:O Wow that's a lot of typing!

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/23/06 at 4:01 am

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I think I've heard of auctions where you're bidding even when you don't know exactly when you're getting. For example, it might say you get x amount of CDs for a really cheap price, but it doesn't tell you which ones you're getting.

1) Am I imagining this, or is this an actual type of auction that's not rare?
2) If it is real, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth buying stuff like that?

Written By: lorac614 on 04/23/06 at 12:01 pm

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I think I've heard of auctions where you're bidding even when you don't know exactly when you're getting. For example, it might say you get x amount of CDs for a really cheap price, but it doesn't tell you which ones you're getting.

2) If it is real, what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth buying stuff like that?

I've seen auctions where you bid on a Mystery Box/Bag.

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/23/06 at 12:03 pm

What does the name Ebay mean!?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/06 at 3:25 pm

Like Lorac said, there are a lot of mystery auctions. If you go to e-bay and do a search for mystery, you will come up with a bunch of stuff. I must admit that I do bid on those-in terms of coin lots. I know I am bidding on coins but what type of coins, dates, or what condition, etc. I won't know until I get them. I look for the ones that are "unsearched". Yes, they can be fun but also a bit frustraiting. I have had several which were very disappointing but others I have found "treasures". So, I take a gamble. My theory is, if I were to buy these "treasures", I would be paying a lot of $$$$ for some of them-and I hope that with these lots, that one or two will be in there. Sometimes one or two coins are worth what I paid for the entire lot.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/06 at 1:27 pm

What is the difference to having an e-bay store or just listing what you are offering? Are there any adventages to having a store?

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 9:16 pm

What is the difference to having an e-bay store or just listing what you are offering? Are there any adventages to having a store?

Cat

Yes...when you have an Ebay store....you can list items for a much cheaper price and they can stay up for like 45 days....you can have a HUGE inventory in an Ebay store.  I think it's like $15 a month to have a store...here is a link for you to check out....it explains all of the details of it..

http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/openbenefits.html

Written By: rich1981 on 05/04/06 at 1:35 am

I've seen many books on setting up an ebay business, do you suggest any references?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 6:16 am

I've seen many books on setting up an ebay business, do you suggest any references?

I have actually read and referenced a book called, "Starting an Ebay Business...for Dummies" (part of those "for dummies" series).  From what I can remember, it seemed pretty thorough and to the point.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 6:55 am

I recently received an e-mail from ebay telling me that my account was suspended due to unpaid sellers fees. So I went and paid the fees. In the help section it says that it takes 10-14 days to process it, so does that mean they will unsuspend my account when they receive payment? They haven't done so yet, and I'm emailed them about it. Ah, well, guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 8:12 am

I recently received an e-mail from ebay telling me that my account was suspended due to unpaid sellers fees. So I went and paid the fees. In the help section it says that it takes 10-14 days to process it, so does that mean they will unsuspend my account when they receive payment? They haven't done so yet, and I'm emailed them about it. Ah, well, guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

Let me ask you....was your account actually suspended...or were you just going by the email that was sent to you stating this?  Did you click a link in the email to go to Ebay and pay it?  You have to be very careful...there are a LOT of spam emails out there that pretend to be from Ebay or Paypal and in reality they are not.  They appear to look like they are from Ebay, and they include a link within the email, wanting you to click on it and take you to a page that actually looks like Ebay..but it is not.  I will advise you to NEVER click on those links within the emails....but instead, just go to www.Ebay.com and then sign into your account....if there is truly a problem, you will be able to see it via signing into the REAL ebay page and accessing your account.  I have never heard of it taking that long to process...usually when you pay your seller's fees, you can automatically start selling again. Did you pay them via Paypal, or did you mail the payment in? If you mailed it in, it may take a bit longer, but if you paid automatically with Paypal, it shouldn't take so long. Let me know.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 9:34 am

Let me ask you....was your account actually suspended...or were you just going by the email that was sent to you stating this?  Did you click a link in the email to go to Ebay and pay it?  You have to be very careful...there are a LOT of spam emails out there that pretend to be from Ebay or Paypal and in reality they are not.  They appear to look like they are from Ebay, and they include a link within the email, wanting you to click on it and take you to a page that actually looks like Ebay..but it is not.  I will advise you to NEVER click on those links within the emails....but instead, just go to www.Ebay.com and then sign into your account....if there is truly a problem, you will be able to see it via signing into the REAL ebay page and accessing your account.  I have never heard of it taking that long to process...usually when you pay your seller's fees, you can automatically start selling again. Did you pay them via Paypal, or did you mail the payment in? If you mailed it in, it may take a bit longer, but if you paid automatically with Paypal, it shouldn't take so long. Let me know.

Oh cripes...I clicked on the link, which linked me to what looked like the official ebay website...well it was the official ebay website, because it was www.ebay.com.au, hope I didn't do anything rash. No, actually come to think I may have just typed it in my browser. But I went to the help bit and it said something like 10-12 days, which I too thought was a bit long. Btw, I payed by debit direct from my savings account. Hope everything'll clear up...

Written By: Gis on 05/04/06 at 10:43 am

I get ones like that all the time and they are all spam. If you hover your mouse over the link it usually shows it is an address nothing to do with Ebay.You should forward anything like that to 'spoof@ebay' and they will tell you if it is genuine or not.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/04/06 at 7:54 pm

Oh cripes...I clicked on the link, which linked me to what looked like the official ebay website...well it was the official ebay website, because it was www.ebay.com.au, hope I didn't do anything rash. No, actually come to think I may have just typed it in my browser. But I went to the help bit and it said something like 10-12 days, which I too thought was a bit long. Btw, I payed by debit direct from my savings account. Hope everything'll clear up...

please read the following guidelines concerning spoof emails...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/27/06 at 4:50 pm

Resurrected from page4

I'm gonna have a try at this eBay Selling business. Have masses of stuff to put on there and have just printed off the sellers tutorial thing which details ad. costs etc etc. Let's see how it goes

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/06 at 7:03 pm

Resurrected from page4

I'm gonna have a try at this eBay Selling business. Have masses of stuff to put on there and have just printed off the sellers tutorial thing which details ad. costs etc etc. Let's see how it goes

hey Jules...good luck with all of that. If you have any questions or need advice...please just ask! :)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/28/06 at 3:35 am

hey Jules...good luck with all of that. If you have any questions or need advice...please just ask! :)

Thanks very much Erin, I'm just about to start digging out my stuff and take the photos etc  will get them processed today at the 1 hr service at the local supermarket as it's cheapest for developing there, then will upload them with the descriptions this pm. 

Written By: Gis on 06/29/06 at 4:26 am

Thanks very much Erin, I'm just about to start digging out my stuff and take the photos etc  will get them processed today at the 1 hr service at the local supermarket as it's cheapest for developing there, then will upload them with the descriptions this pm. 
If you are planning to sell often you should really get a digital camera. It's so much easier, cheaper and if the picture's crap you can see straight away and take another.I'm selling shedloads at the moment due to the impending house move.......................

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/29/06 at 7:35 am

If you are planning to sell often you should really get a digital camera. It's so much easier, cheaper and if the picture's crap you can see straight away and take another.I'm selling shedloads at the moment due to the impending house move.......................

Yes, Gis is right...it makes the listing process so much easier. Good luck on your auctions, Gis! ;)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/29/06 at 5:38 pm

Yeah I'm using Chris's one but just wish there was a quicker way to get the snaps online than scanning hard copies after they get developed. I suppose there is a quicker way if you have the right equipment.

Anyways..I now have to train myself to stop checking every 10 minutes to see how many people have viewed my stuff.  ;D :-[ ;D
Only have 9 items for sale and 5 are being 'watched' but no bids as yet  :D :D

Written By: Gis on 06/30/06 at 4:30 am

Yeah I'm using Chris's one but just wish there was a quicker way to get the snaps online than scanning hard copies after they get developed. I suppose there is a quicker way if you have the right equipment.

Anyways..I now have to train myself to stop checking every 10 minutes to see how many people have viewed my stuff.  ;D :-[ ;D
Only have 9 items for sale and 5 are being 'watched' but no bids as yet  :D :D
Is it a digital camera ? It should have a cable with it that you plug into the computer and also a disk which gives you the photo editing package you need or you can find one of those to download.

Don't even try !!! It is impossible not to keep going on and checking your items, just incase you have a bid........... I'm always completely gutted when I have people watching something and noone bids. I also can't resist looking at what the person who has bid on my item has been buying lately.

The weirdest by far was this girl bid on a PG Tips beanie monkey I was selling. I had a wee look at her feedback and to see what else she had been buying abd she had bought nearly 50 identical PG Tips monkeys !?! By the time she had won mine and the auction was over she had bought 75 of these monkeys. I almost emailed her to ask 'In god's name WHY' I imagined her filling her house with shelves and shelves of identical monkeys like a little beanie army................ 

Written By: Gis on 06/30/06 at 6:06 am

Yes, Gis is right...it makes the listing process so much easier. Good luck on your auctions, Gis! ;)
Thanks Erin, to be honest at the moment I'm just pleased if a thing sells as it's one less thing to pack !

I have a question for you actually. As you use Ebay as a business, how often do you relist items if they don't sell ? I never know whether you should keep on relisting until they go or do it 2 or 3 times and then pass them on to a charity/thrift shop or something.Do you drop your price too?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 10:55 am

Thanks Erin, to be honest at the moment I'm just pleased if a thing sells as it's one less thing to pack !

I have a question for you actually. As you use Ebay as a business, how often do you relist items if they don't sell ? I never know whether you should keep on relisting until they go or do it 2 or 3 times and then pass them on to a charity/thrift shop or something.Do you drop your price too?

I usually relist them no more than 3 times.  If it doesn't sell by then...I just donate them back to thrift stores (since most of the items that I obtain are originally from thrift stores anyway).  Yes...by the third time, I usually drop the starting price a bit, however, most of my items start out very low to begin with (that attracts more potential buyers).

And...as Jules was saying....it is like an addiction to keep going back to see how many people are watching/bidding on items...I will sit there sometimes and keep refreshing the page (especially closer to the auction's end). LOLOL!! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 5:39 pm

Do they still supermarket shopping trollies on offer?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/30/06 at 5:43 pm

I usually relist them no more than 3 times.  If it doesn't sell by then...I just donate them back to thrift stores (since most of the items that I obtain are originally from thrift stores anyway).  Yes...by the third time, I usually drop the starting price a bit, however, most of my items start out very low to begin with (that attracts more potential buyers).

And...as Jules was saying....it is like an addiction to keep going back to see how many people are watching/bidding on items...I will sit there sometimes and keep refreshing the page (especially closer to the auction's end). LOLOL!! :D

That relisting tip is a good one to know as I was wondering about that just incase no one buys my stuff, there are lots of views but no bids yet..BAH   :D  
Oddly enough a Californian buyer asked me a question about some plimsols I'm selling,  I thought the ads only went Europewide so was very pleased that the UK site can be viewed in the US too.
Have found a USB lead too to download my pics..thankfully.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 6:23 pm

That relisting tip is a good one to know as I was wondering about that just incase no one buys my stuff, there are lots of views but no bids yet..BAH   :D  
Oddly enough a Californian buyer asked me a question about some plimsols I'm selling,  I thought the ads only went Europewide so was very pleased that the UK site can be viewed in the US too.

yes, you can set it up so that people from all over the world can view and bid on your items.

Written By: Gis on 07/01/06 at 3:19 am

That relisting tip is a good one to know as I was wondering about that just incase no one buys my stuff, there are lots of views but no bids yet..BAH  :D 
Oddly enough a Californian buyer asked me a question about some plimsols I'm selling,  I thought the ads only went Europewide so was very pleased that the UK site can be viewed in the US too.
It's where you fill out postage when you are listing an item. It gives you the option of ticking boxes for all the countries you will post to.I always tick the boxes for worldwide and seem to sell most of my stuff internationally. Obviously you have to work out the different postage as it costs more.
I have found from experience do explain very clearly that international postage is more and international buyers should contact you for a quote. Also In big capitals 'PAYPAL ONLY FROM INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS' It costs you

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/01/06 at 3:47 am

It's where you fill out postage when you are listing an item. It gives you the option of ticking boxes for all the countries you will post to.I always tick the boxes for worldwide and seem to sell most of my stuff internationally. Obviously you have to work out the different postage as it costs more.
I have found from experience do explain very clearly that international postage is more and international buyers should contact you for a quote. Also In big capitals 'PAYPAL ONLY FROM INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS' It costs you

Written By: Gis on 07/01/06 at 4:00 am

Ahh so that's how I've enabled that  :-[  I think it's a great thing really to have such a huge audience. Yeah I looked at other sellers comments re the limitations etc re Costs/P&P/etc - if a few things are bought it's possible to reduce post costs. Worried about the 'returns' policy though, but I feel obliged to tick that box allowing 7 days for returned items as I'm sure it's a legal requirement that you have offer refunds, but I really hope it doesn't happen - what a farce that would be.  :D  I suppose you just have to state exact condition of stuff
Yeah I've had to do a few returns but not many.If you describe an item and it's condition clearly then you are usually fine.I tend to ask them to return the item first, paying the return postage and then I give them a full refund when it arrives.I figure it's fair to pay one lot of postage each unless the item is faulty then I would refund everything.
  I have had to ask for refunds more often, it never ceases to amaze me the appaling condition some people think is 'nearly new' ! I have bought clothes that quite frankly are filthy, falling to bits or stink ! Sadly some people refuse to admit they are wrong also.

At the moment I am doing battle with an arsey girl I bought a corset from.She only forced a boned corset into a box half its size and broke two of the bones and bent another two of the others doing so ! Also it was listed as 'perfetc condition, worn once' It had big stains under the armpits, the ties were all frayed and the hem was coming undone !?! She has insisted I return it so she can 'examine' it then she 'may' give a refund! I made a point of sending it recorded so I know it has arrived and I also took photos of it before I packed it up. It's horrible to be so cynical but I have been ripped off a few times and you get weary of it.It is amazing how some people will create over like

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/01/06 at 5:33 am

Yeah I've had to do a few returns but not many.If you describe an item and it's condition clearly then you are usually fine.I tend to ask them to return the item first, paying the return postage and then I give them a full refund when it arrives.I figure it's fair to pay one lot of postage each unless the item is faulty then I would refund everything.
  I have had to ask for refunds more often, it never ceases to amaze me the appaling condition some people think is 'nearly new' ! I have bought clothes that quite frankly are filthy, falling to bits or stink ! Sadly some people refuse to admit they are wrong also.

At the moment I am doing battle with an arsey girl I bought a corset from.She only forced a boned corset into a box half its size and broke two of the bones and bent another two of the others doing so ! Also it was listed as 'perfetc condition, worn once' It had big stains under the armpits, the ties were all frayed and the hem was coming undone !?! She has insisted I return it so she can 'examine' it then she 'may' give a refund! I made a point of sending it recorded so I know it has arrived and I also took photos of it before I packed it up. It's horrible to be so cynical but I have been ripped off a few times and you get weary of it.It is amazing how some people will create over like

Written By: Gis on 07/02/06 at 2:58 am

I've heard of people selling crap like that. At present I'm literally selling my own clothes and shoes (stuff I bought and never or hardly ever wore and is still in immaculate condition) I'd be soo ashamed to advertise garbage that stinks or is moth eaten then have someone give me negative feedback.
However once I've tried shifting my own stuff I will search out other garments in decent condition from markets and sales

Gis I would persist with the 'corset seller'  sounds like she's very obviously misrepresented the item. Reminds me off this con artist German woman who was selling 'genuine' French perfume (she obviously has a major business thing going)
anyway when it arrived in the cheap crap box, the bottle/top was so obviously faked and the contents stunk to the High Heavens - she wasn't suited - I created a stink too and she eventually coughed up the refund into Paypal but NOT the

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/02/06 at 4:59 pm

Good that you eventually heard from the corset woman Gis..

I'm about to combust with excitement, someone has actually made a bid on one of my things   ;D

at least that'll cover the eBay fees anyway     ::)

Written By: Gis on 07/03/06 at 3:48 am

Good that you eventually heard from the corset woman Gis..

I'm about to combust with excitement, someone has actually made a bid on one of my things  ;D

at least that'll cover the eBay fees anyway    ::)
Wait until you are into the last few hours that's when it often goes mad, it's very exciting !!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/08/06 at 6:21 am

Wait until you are into the last few hours that's when it often goes mad, it's very exciting !!

Yes, there are 12 hours to go on some items and I see there are more 'watchers' on several items. Let's hope they bid!

Written By: Gis on 07/09/06 at 3:37 am

I'm typing this weeping hysterically inside. I have to go cold turkey from Ebay this week. We are moving next saturday so I can't really buy anything this week as I haven't changed address yet and then we will have no computer connection for 10 days. TEN DAYS WITHOUT EBAY...............

Oh I still haven't had my refund from corset woman yet, she said she was transfering money across to her Paypal account and yet she has bought various items since..... 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/09/06 at 5:26 am

I'm typing this weeping hysterically inside. I have to go cold turkey from Ebay this week. We are moving next saturday so I can't really buy anything this week as I haven't changed address yet and then we will have no computer connection for 10 days. TEN DAYS WITHOUT EBAY...............

Oh I still haven't had my refund from corset woman yet, she said she was transfering money across to her Paypal account and yet she has bought various items since.....   

Oh nooo that'd drive me nuts too, I was recently using internet cafes for a week..sorry to hear about corset woman, doesn't eBay have a dispute system in place? but she sounds like a nightmare customer. I had 4 items sell last night but 5 didn't and I swear to God this jumper I've had for years and tried every which way to sell, will not sodding well budge, it's like one of those bleedin' voodoo dolls - once you have it it will never leave you   ;D 
Hope you get back online soon.

Written By: Gis on 07/12/06 at 3:14 am

Still nothing from corset woman I've had to open a dispute. She's nuts, she could end up with a strike against her 100% good record for a

Written By: Gis on 07/12/06 at 4:17 pm

Well corset woman refunded me sent me an extremely insulting email, left me negative feedback and filed a non paying bidder alert against me!!
This now means I have to wait and see whether Ebay will file a strike against my name what a b*tch.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/12/06 at 5:06 pm

Well corset woman refunded me sent me an extremely insulting email, left me negative feedback and filed a non paying bidder alert against me!!
This now means I have to wait and see whether Ebay will file a strike against my name what a b*tch.

aww, that's horrible, Gis. I'm sorry that you had to experience such negativity on Ebay. Some people are just awful. :(

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/12/06 at 5:11 pm

That's really rotten Gis - what a cow she is. Give eBay a full detailed explanation of what's she's been up to and they should investigate her.

Written By: Gis on 07/13/06 at 3:01 am

Well I've emailed Ebay and explained and am waiting for their reply. I have also emailed her to appeal to her better nature and suggested we mutually withdraw our feedback. I'll just have to wait and see what happens now.
Of course it all has to happen when I'm about to be off line for 10 days.........

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/13/06 at 3:44 am

Well I've emailed Ebay and explained and am waiting for their reply. I have also emailed her to appeal to her better nature and suggested we mutually withdraw our feedback. I'll just have to wait and see what happens now.
Of course it all has to happen when I'm about to be off line for 10 days.........

I hope it works out for you, good luck with that.

Written By: karen on 07/13/06 at 3:50 am

Reading this has just reminded me I meant to go and leave some positive feedback for someone!  Better go and do that now

Written By: Gis on 07/13/06 at 4:57 pm

No reply from her but she has withdrawn her feedback. I checked Ebay's policy out of interest, and emailed her to point out, very politely that she is actually breaching their rules and could get her account suspended. It would appear that she has been very silly in starting a non paying bidder strike against me when I did actually pay her and there is all the Paypal evidence to prove that fact !

Written By: Gis on 07/19/06 at 10:43 am

Unpaid Item dispute mysteriously closed......................

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/20/06 at 7:09 am

Some German guy emailed me through eBay to inquire about some pink suede platform soled sandals  I'm selling.

"The shoes are very pretty please tell me are they comfortable? and will you let me borrow your feet to show how they look"

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that request odd. I did reply saying they were comfortable however   ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/20/06 at 6:41 pm

Some German guy emailed me through eBay to inquire about some pink suede platform soled sandals  I'm selling.

"The shoes are very pretty please tell me are they comfortable? and will you let me borrow your feet to show how they look"

Maybe it's just me, but I thought that request odd. I did reply saying they were comfortable however   ;D

I've gotten a few questions from a few oddballs at times too! :D

Written By: Gis on 07/24/06 at 5:47 am

I wonder if that was a translation courtesy of Babelfish !  ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/24/06 at 5:49 am

Actually that has just reminded me of a thing that happened when my sister ran a clothes shop.She had a shop dummy with no hands and some guy came in and asked if he could feel the stumps !!  :o
As you can imagine she asked him to leave.  ;D

Written By: mugg on 07/24/06 at 10:27 am

i'm thinking about selling toast with the image of jesus christ on them, i have figured out a way to mass produce this miracle, i cut out a template of good ol' JC and lay it over the bread, as the bread toasts the template keeps parts of my bread from burning, i repeat the process a few times then toast one final time to get the covered part of my bread a lite brown, i'm thinking i might make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it and then taking one bite to give it that authintic whoops i almost ate jesus look

Written By: karen on 07/24/06 at 10:48 am

i'm thinking about selling toast with the image of jesus christ on them, i have figured out a way to mass produce this miracle, i cut out a template of good ol' JC and lay it over the bread, as the bread toasts the template keeps parts of my bread from burning, i repeat the process a few times then toast one final time to get the covered part of my bread a lite brown, i'm thinking i might make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it and then taking one bite to give it that authintic whoops i almost ate jesus look

Why buy from eBay when you can make your own?

http://www.iwoot.co.uk/

and search for holy toast

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/24/06 at 2:51 pm

hehee..and to think that people actually sold stuff like that! :o

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/26/06 at 5:53 am

Actually that has just reminded me of a thing that happened when my sister ran a clothes shop.She had a shop dummy with no hands and some guy came in and asked if he could feel the stumps !!  :o
As you can imagine she asked him to leave.  ;D

;D bizarre

Written By: Gis on 08/14/06 at 12:11 pm

Just had an email to say a top I had sent out to the guys wife had arrived but had a hole in the back. I was completely stumped as it was brand new and I had checked it over before listing it. I guess she confessed because I got another grovelling email a while later to apologise and say his 'dozy wife' had cut a hole in it when she cut the padded envelope open. I have to say it did cross my mind to wonder who on earth cuts open a padded envelope when you know there's clothing in it??

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/06 at 12:26 pm

Just had an email to say a top I had sent out to the guys wife had arrived but had a hole in the back. I was completely stumped as it was brand new and I had checked it over before listing it. I guess she confessed because I got another grovelling email a while later to apologise and say his 'dozy wife' had cut a hole in it when she cut the padded envelope open. I have to say it did cross my mind to wonder who on earth cuts open a padded envelope when you know there's clothing in it??
The way I see it, the package arrived safely.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/14/06 at 1:29 pm

gosh, I hate whenever I get a dreaded email from a disappointed buyer. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/06 at 1:30 pm

Has the buyer sent the cheque yet?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/14/06 at 1:32 pm

I'm sure that the buyer paid before she sent out the package. That's the most logical way to go about doing it...that way, you won't get cheated out of money. ;)

Written By: Gis on 08/16/06 at 3:13 am

They paid instantly by Paypal.
No feedback yet but to be honest I rather have none at all than a negative or neutral. I feel kind of sad because it was a really pretty top and it would be a shame if it was ruined.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/06 at 12:00 pm

They paid instantly by Paypal.
No feedback yet but to be honest I rather have none at all than a negative or neutral. I feel kind of sad because it was a really pretty top and it would be a shame if it was ruined.
There again, the opening of the package is down to the recipient.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/06 at 2:41 pm

Why is it when I want to buy something on e-bay, several people bid early and bring the price way up. But, when I am selling something no one bids until the last minute (if they do bid)? And yes, they are very similar items (coins). I just don't get it.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 08/17/06 at 3:29 am

Why is it when I want to buy something on e-bay, several people bid early and bring the price way up. But, when I am selling something no one bids until the last minute (if they do bid)? And yes, they are very similar items (coins). I just don't get it.

Cat
Ahh, that is the mystery that is Ebay!
Like I had an item with 13 people watching it and noone bid on it at all !!!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/17/06 at 12:23 pm

Cat

I know...that is frustrating when that happens. :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/06 at 3:34 pm

Ahh, that is the mystery that is Ebay!
Like I had an item with 13 people watching it and noone bid on it at all !!!!

Been there, done that.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 09/10/06 at 3:26 pm

I have a game system and some games I'm planning on selling.

A Sega Saturn, Gameshark, ST Key(import game converter), 4 domestic released games and 4 import games. The game system and domestics I can probably sell in my area(I need to get some money ASAP), but the import games I think could do better on ebay.

What would you recommend for doing this?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/13/06 at 1:03 pm

I have a game system and some games I'm planning on selling.

A Sega Saturn, Gameshark, ST Key(import game converter), 4 domestic released games and 4 import games. The game system and domestics I can probably sell in my area(I need to get some money ASAP), but the import games I think could do better on ebay.

What would you recommend for doing this?

I would try to sell them all on Ebay....selling them in your area would only attract a small number of potential buyers, versus, the vast crowd that Ebay draws. I would sell them all together as a lot (people dig buying things in lots)...and I would start it out really low (but put a reserve bid on it). Good luck! :)

Written By: Step-chan on 09/13/06 at 3:10 pm

I would try to sell them all on Ebay....selling them in your area would only attract a small number of potential buyers, versus, the vast crowd that Ebay draws. I would sell them all together as a lot (people dig buying things in lots)...and I would start it out really low (but put a reserve bid on it). Good luck! :)

I'll need pictures as well, won't I?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/06 at 12:21 pm

As a buyer on e-bay, I like to see what I am getting so pics are ALWAYS good. I know there are some buyers won't even bother (even if it is something they really want) without pics.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/06 at 9:25 pm

yes...it is very smart to include detailed pictures...as Cat said, it is always nice to see what you are potentially getting.

Written By: Gis on 09/19/06 at 3:04 am

Isn't it so easy to get used to Paypal? I had to pay for something by cheque recently as the girl didn't have Paypal. She got my cheque on the 7th sept and emailed me yesterday (18th) to say she had only just cashed it and was now waiting 10 days for it to clear. SOooo frustrating, so I'll maybe get it a month after I actually bought it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/06 at 6:20 am

Isn't it so easy to get used to Paypal? I had to pay for something by cheque recently as the girl didn't have Paypal. She got my cheque on the 7th sept and emailed me yesterday (18th) to say she had only just cashed it and was now waiting 10 days for it to clear. SOooo frustrating, so I'll maybe get it a month after I actually bought it.

I love having the option of using Paypal...it makes things SO much easier and faster. The only drawback of using Paypal is the fee that you have to pay everytime someone utilizes this option (but, it's not all that much). I'd rather have the convenience, I suppose.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/19/06 at 10:56 am

yes...it is very smart to include detailed pictures...as Cat said, it is always nice to see what you are potentially getting.

Need to get some film then. The only thing about what I'm wanting to sell is that two of the games are the same, except one is localized(translated and released in America) and the other is the Japanese import.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/06 at 11:35 am

Need to get some film then. The only thing about what I'm wanting to sell is that two of the games are the same, except one is localized(translated and released in America) and the other is the Japanese import.

if you include them together in the lot...just make sure that you mention the difference between the two in your listing.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/19/06 at 1:22 pm

if you include them together in the lot...just make sure that you mention the difference between the two in your listing.

Okay. I seen some posts about "Paypal" on here, how does it work? Does it require at home internet?(I just want to make sure before doing any of this)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/19/06 at 1:25 pm

Okay. I seen some posts about "Paypal" on here, how does it work? Does it require at home internet?(I just want to make sure before doing any of this)

Paypal acts as an online account. It links to either a credit card or your bank account. Here's some info regarding Paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/auc/new_ebay_buyer_intro-outside

Written By: Step-chan on 09/19/06 at 1:30 pm

Paypal acts as an online account. It links to either a credit card or your bank account. Here's some info regarding Paypal.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/auc/new_ebay_buyer_intro-outside

Thank you! It will make it easier for me to do it this way(instead of a check).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/06 at 4:22 pm

I have come to the conclusion that I hate PayPal but unfortunately, it is a necessary evil.  >:(

Cat

Written By: Gis on 09/26/06 at 4:30 am

I emailed her saturday and she said she's STILL waiting for the cheque to clear.........................

I had a great message yesterday. A girl bid on a skirt I was selling and then emailed me to ask me all about it like what it was made of etc, oh and did I have a picture of it from the front.I politely pointed out that the picture with the listing was the skirt from the front. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/10/06 at 7:20 pm

man...this lady is driving me nuts!  I had auctions that ended this past Sunday and some lady won a particular item. She sent me an email asking me to let her know when the item will be sent out.  Then she sent me another email today (acting all gruff....like, "This is the second email I've sent you..etc..). She paid with an E-check through Paypal (which takes about 4 days or so to clear..and it has not cleared yet)...she claims that it has cleared (which it has not....they send you a notification as soon as it does, and they advise that you NOT send the item until the check clears).....so, I sent her a stern email...I am sick of her sh!t. >:( ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/06 at 4:38 pm

A question for ALL who sell on e-bay:

What is the average of items you list in a week/month and what % of that sells? Just curious.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/14/06 at 10:37 pm

A question for ALL who sell on e-bay:

What is the average of items you list in a week/month and what % of that sells? Just curious.

Cat

I usually list every other week...anywhere from 50-100 items.  It really varies though how much profit I make...depends on what I am selling, price of the total listing fees, etc.

Written By: Gis on 10/15/06 at 4:36 am

I usually list every other week...anywhere from 50-100 items.  It really varies though how much profit I make...depends on what I am selling, price of the total listing fees, etc.
Wow! serious Ebaying. I list between 20 - 30 items a month.Two weeks ago I listed 15 items and 12 sold, it's usually around that mark so about 70% sell on first listing. 

Written By: Gis on 10/15/06 at 4:40 am

man...this lady is driving me nuts!  I had auctions that ended this past Sunday and some lady won a particular item. She sent me an email asking me to let her know when the item will be sent out.  Then she sent me another email today (acting all gruff....like, "This is the second email I've sent you..etc..). She paid with an E-check through Paypal (which takes about 4 days or so to clear..and it has not cleared yet)...she claims that it has cleared (which it has not....they send you a notification as soon as it does, and they advise that you NOT send the item until the check clears).....so, I sent her a stern email...I am sick of her sh!t. >:( ::)
I hate it when people do that. I always try to post the stuff really quickly as a rule, I did have one woman who got arsey when her item hadn't arrived saturday morning when she had only paid on the friday night !?! If I'd have sprouted wings and flown it there myself I couldn't have got it there that quickly.  ::)

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 8:38 am

I've never bought anything off of Ebay.  There's so much stuff I want.  I've had some people tell me how great it is.  Others tell me that sometimes you get ripped off.  Gosh darn it Quirk I really want that Strawberry Shortcake doll in mint condition.  Question . . . should I set up an Ebay account? :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/26/06 at 8:47 am

I've never bought anything off of Ebay.  There's so much stuff I want.  I've had some people tell me how great it is.  Others tell me that sometimes you get ripped off.  Gosh darn it Quirk I really want that Strawberry Shortcake doll in mint condition.  Question . . . should I set up an Ebay account? :-\\

I say...go for it! It's not hard setting it up, and it is so worth it when you can find things that are from your childhood! I suggest a few things....

Before you bid on someone's item...check their feedback, make sure they don't have a lot of negatives. It's not hard to get mostly positives, so someone with negatives should not be really trusted.

Ask any questions to the seller before bidding on the item. I know when I list things, I try to be as detailed as possible with my descriptions (listing sizes, measurements, condition of the item, etc..). Some people aren't as descriptive...so, if there's something that you are wondering about an item..DO ask questions.

In my experiences with Ebay (during the past 7+ years), I've only come across a handful of dishonest people...the majority of people are honest...but you always get those few that try to rip you off. I wouldn't let it discourage you from bidding on something that you really want.

let me know if you have any other questions or concerns....and good luck on the auction! :)

Written By: spaceace on 10/26/06 at 8:50 am

Thanks. :)

Written By: Gis on 10/26/06 at 9:22 am

Also it's worth reading all the 'small print' people give on their listings, ie; the postage instructions etc. Some buyers will only accept paypal for example or won't send overseas so always read that stuff before you bid.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/31/06 at 10:54 am

Here is something that just happened to me, I would like you thoughts...

My husband bought some Lionel trains for my son, after we paid the guy e-mailed us and said he couldn't find one of the  trains in his inventory, he offered a different train (we didn't want it) so he refunded our money.  He was nice and replied quickly to e-mails.  My husband wanted to give negative feedback (he was annoyed he didn't get the train he my son wanted  ;) ), but I don't think that would be right. 

In your opinion, should I just not leave any feedback or maybe neutral feedback, saying there was a problem but the seller took care of it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/06 at 11:25 am

My husband bought some Lionel trains for my son, after we paid the guy e-mailed us and said he couldn't find one of the  trains in his inventory, he offered a different train (we didn't want it) so he refunded our money.  He was nice and replied quickly to e-mails.  My husband wanted to give negative feedback (he was annoyed he didn't get the train he my son wanted  ;) ), but I don't think that would be right. 

In your opinion, should I just not leave any feedback or maybe neutral feedback, saying there was a problem but the seller took care of it.

IMO, I think the guy acted very honorably. If he didn't, he would have just sent you the wrong one. I would give him a positive feedback and say the seller took care of a problem-which he did. Or just not give him any. But, I would not give him negative feedback because even though you didn't get the one you wanted, you didn't lose anything since he refunded your $$.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/31/06 at 11:25 am

I would definitely NOT leave negative feedback.  I know that it was disappointing that he ended up not having the right one...but, it seemed like he was polite (by responding to emails), and he refunded your money too.  I would still leave a positive saying something like, "seller didn't have item, however, was very professional and polite"...something on those lines.  I never give negatives unless a person totally rips me off (by keeping my money, not sending the item, not paying, stuff like that). I hope that helps you guys out. :)

Written By: Gis on 10/31/06 at 11:26 am

Absolutely no way! neg or neutral would be COMPLETELY unfair. He did everything by the Ebay book, ie contacted you immediatly, offered an alternative or a refund. You should leave positive feedback saying exactly that in my opinion.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/31/06 at 2:53 pm

Thanks everyone...I never considered leaving negative (my husband was being a baby!!  LOL!!), I just wasn't sure what to do.  Thanks again.  :)

Written By: Abix on 11/05/06 at 11:47 am

I've never sold anything on Ebay, but I've definitely bid and purchased off ebay. I have one concern and maybe it's just paranoia on my part, but it's happened to me twice so I kind of wonder... I bid on baseball cards quite a bit.. and on two separate occasions , two separate sellers, I've won the auction, paid with pay pal, only to get an email from them saying they have 'lost the card'. The one guy gave me a refund, but my suspicions were this.. I tend to bid on rookie cards or hard to find cards, and this one particular card was a Joe Nathan rookie card. The guy says he 'lost it' but issued me a refund, and I noticed that another auction had just ended also and the same card went for a much higher winning bid than what I won it for. So my suspicion is that the seller is thinking, he can get more money for the card and so will claim that it's been lost. This just happened again recently. I bid on a Johan Santana minor league card (very hard to find) and one had just gone for 90.00 ( I had bid on that one as well but was outbid). Then I won this other one and it was only 10.99 , the winning bid..but then lo and behold the guy sends an email saying he lost the card.. he offered a refund or another minor card that wasn't in the auction listing. I had a sneaking suspicion that the previous winning auction was a factor. Am I just being paranoid? And is there anything one can do about this?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/06 at 3:38 pm

I've never sold anything on Ebay, but I've definitely bid and purchased off ebay. I have one concern and maybe it's just paranoia on my part, but it's happened to me twice so I kind of wonder... I bid on baseball cards quite a bit.. and on two separate occasions , two separate sellers, I've won the auction, paid with pay pal, only to get an email from them saying they have 'lost the card'. The one guy gave me a refund, but my suspicions were this.. I tend to bid on rookie cards or hard to find cards, and this one particular card was a Joe Nathan rookie card. The guy says he 'lost it' but issued me a refund, and I noticed that another auction had just ended also and the same card went for a much higher winning bid than what I won it for. So my suspicion is that the seller is thinking, he can get more money for the card and so will claim that it's been lost. This just happened again recently. I bid on a Johan Santana minor league card (very hard to find) and one had just gone for 90.00 ( I had bid on that one as well but was outbid). Then I won this other one and it was only 10.99 , the winning bid..but then lo and behold the guy sends an email saying he lost the card.. he offered a refund or another minor card that wasn't in the auction listing. I had a sneaking suspicion that the previous winning auction was a factor. Am I just being paranoid? And is there anything one can do about this?

Yes, it seems to me that your senses regarding this matter were right on.  It seems like this is exactly what the seller is doing. Instead of putting a reserve on the auction to begin with, they decide that if it doesn't sell for the price they really wanted for it, then they will just make up an excuse so that they don't have to sell it to you for the lower price. A lot of people also get in trouble for shill bidding. This is when they create a different account and bid on their own items, in order to raise the value/auction to a higher price, thus creating the other bidder to keep bidding higher. I know that if someone is shill bidding, they can get suspended from Ebay, however, in your case...I am not sure if Ebay would do anything about it, beings that they have no real proof that they are infact waiting for a higher bidder on the same item that sold for less to someone else. It wouldn't hurt to send along an email to Ebay though...voicing your concern, perhaps they've had other complaints about these particular sellers in the past, and if they receive enough complaints, it should prove to be a sufficient enough reason to have them not be able to sell any longer.  Good luck! :)

Written By: Gis on 11/06/06 at 4:09 am

yup, I'd report them too. Ebay will look into it and if it is the same seller selling the same card that you won and was lost they will probably get a warning.

My other half had the same problem with this guy who was selling some rare star wars figure. Ian won it and it never arrived, the guy said it was lost in the post and he'd send another one, then a week later he emailed to say he couldn't find the spare figure and would send a refund. When Ian went on Ebay to see if there were any others listed there was the figure listed by the same guy!

Written By: Gis on 11/24/06 at 3:56 am

I could weep some times. I sent off a top to this girl a month ago first class, ie; next day delivery. Emailed her to tell her this and asked her to let me know when it arrived. Never heard back from her so assumed she'd got it.Everything else sent at the same time arrived. I got an email off her last night to say it hadn't arrived and was there a problem. Who on earth waits a month before asking about something that should have arrived the next day?? I have long since thrown out the proof of postage *SIGH* 
However she only has 12 feedback and has left feedback twice before to say the same thing, either she's very unlucky or there is a pattern here.   

Written By: karen on 11/24/06 at 4:09 am

This is a question about PayPal. 

A friend has set up a paypal account to accept donations towards the cost of running his forums.  The problem is that he lives in Spain and so the registration page is in Spanish. Is there an option somewhere to select a default language to display for transactions.

Any PayPal experts here?

Written By: Howard on 11/24/06 at 6:18 am

What else have you bought from Ebay?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/06 at 12:44 pm

I could weep some times. I sent off a top to this girl a month ago first class, ie; next day delivery. Emailed her to tell her this and asked her to let me know when it arrived. Never heard back from her so assumed she'd got it.Everything else sent at the same time arrived. I got an email off her last night to say it hadn't arrived and was there a problem. Who on earth waits a month before asking about something that should have arrived the next day?? I have long since thrown out the proof of postage *SIGH* 
However she only has 12 feedback and has left feedback twice before to say the same thing, either she's very unlucky or there is a pattern here.   

The only thing that I would recommend is to tell her to contact her post office, perhaps the package has been lying around there for some reason or another, if all else fails, offer her 1/2 of the money back for the item (minus the shipping)....I know it might be a loss to you, but at least it is showing her that you are a very fair seller. I have had to do this before (before I started using delivery confirmation on EVERY single package that I send out)...and it really sucks to have to eat the cost...but I really didn't want negative feedback.  I hope this helps you out some....Good luck Gis. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/06 at 12:45 pm

This is a question about PayPal. 

A friend has set up a paypal account to accept donations towards the cost of running his forums.  The problem is that he lives in Spain and so the registration page is in Spanish. Is there an option somewhere to select a default language to display for transactions.

Any PayPal experts here?

I'm sure there is some way to do that, but I am not sure of it, Karen. If I were him, I would just send along a little note to Paypal, they have like a customer service type of thing....someone there should be able to definitely tell him the way in which he would be able to do such a thing. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/24/06 at 12:47 pm

What else have you bought from Ebay?

I have bought cds, movies, clothing, antiques, vintage toys, books, sports items.....all sorts of stuff. I don't buy as much as I used to...I sell now more than buy.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/06 at 2:00 pm

I have bought cds, movies, clothing, antiques, vintage toys, books, sports items.....all sorts of stuff. I don't buy as much as I used to...I sell now more than buy.

Wouldn't it be easier to go to The Ebay Store? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/24/06 at 4:28 pm

The Ebay Store IS the online site.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/06 at 6:44 am

The Ebay Store IS the online site.

There's an Ebay store on Long Island.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/25/06 at 11:43 am

There's an Ebay store on Long Island.

Ebay has brick and mortar stores now?  That's interesting. 

Written By: Howard on 11/26/06 at 12:59 pm

Ebay has brick and mortar stores now?  That's interesting. 

Yes they do.You bring the stuff to them and they'll sell it online.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/26/06 at 9:36 pm

no, because if I took it to one of those stores...I wouldn't be making 100% profit like I do when I sell my own items. ;)

Written By: Howard on 11/26/06 at 10:11 pm

no, because if I took it to one of those stores...I wouldn't be making 100% profit like I do when I sell my own items. ;)

So Why don't you create your own Ebay Store?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/26/06 at 10:16 pm

So Why don't you create your own Ebay Store?

I used to have an online store...but IMO, it wasn't worth the money I put into keeping it up.  I don't have my own physical store because I can't afford the overhead that it takes in order to run a store.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/06 at 5:39 pm

I used to have an online store...but IMO, it wasn't worth the money I put into keeping it up.  I don't have my own physical store because I can't afford the overhead that it takes in order to run a store.

How much does the overhead cost?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/27/06 at 9:07 pm

How much does the overhead cost?

I wouldn't know Howard, I never checked into seeing how much it would cost to run a physical store...I would imagine a lot.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/06 at 12:46 pm

I wouldn't know Howard, I never checked into seeing how much it would cost to run a physical store...I would imagine a lot.

You could call your store Erin's Ebay? ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/28/06 at 1:15 pm

You could call your store Erin's Ebay? ;)

I've always wanted to open a vintage shop...and call it, "In Retrospect Vintage Shop"

Written By: Gis on 12/01/06 at 4:19 pm

The only thing that I would recommend is to tell her to contact her post office, perhaps the package has been lying around there for some reason or another, if all else fails, offer her 1/2 of the money back for the item (minus the shipping)....I know it might be a loss to you, but at least it is showing her that you are a very fair seller. I have had to do this before (before I started using delivery confirmation on EVERY single package that I send out)...and it really sucks to have to eat the cost...but I really didn't want negative feedback.  I hope this helps you out some....Good luck Gis. :)

Hmm well I haven't heard from her again, so I'm guessing she was trying it on. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/03/06 at 4:16 pm

This is for anyone who uses e-bay. Do you find that sometimes the counters don't load when you click on an item-or is it just my stupid computer?

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/03/06 at 9:58 pm

This is for anyone who uses e-bay. Do you find that sometimes the counters don't load when you click on an item-or is it just my stupid computer?

Cat

no, it's not your computer Cat...it happens to me sometimes as well.

Written By: Gis on 12/04/06 at 1:26 am

Cat
I've been on their message boards about that in the past and it is a common problem.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/06 at 6:24 am

Have you lost an item at one time? ???

Written By: Gis on 12/04/06 at 7:56 am

Have you lost an item at one time? ???
How do you mean Howard? Do you mean been outbid on an item or had something get lost in the post?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/04/06 at 8:56 am

How do you mean Howard? Do you mean been outbid on an item or had something get lost in the post?

if that's the case...I've had BOTH happen to me! :D

Written By: Gis on 12/04/06 at 10:15 am

if that's the case...I've had BOTH happen to me! :D
Me too.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/04/06 at 3:49 pm

I mean ever been outbid by someone? ???

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/06 at 4:19 pm

Is there a way, without e-mailing the seller, to know if they've recieved my payment or not? I sent a check about 6 days ago, and haven't heard anything yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/06 at 4:22 pm

Is there a way, without e-mailing the seller, to know if they've recieved my payment or not? I sent a check about 6 days ago, and haven't heard anything yet.

Sometimes what I do (especially on big payments) is I send it return reciept-they HAVE to sign for it when they receive it and I get a green card back saying they got it. Sometimes I get the package before I get the card back.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/04/06 at 4:40 pm

Sometimes what I do (especially on big payments) is I send it return reciept-they HAVE to sign for it when they receive it and I get a green card back saying they got it. Sometimes I get the package before I get the card back.  ;D ;D

Cat

Thank you much for that tip! I probably should've done that, but that's okay! I guess I'm getting a tad bit antsy because I cut this a bit close and it may not get delivered in time for Christmas  :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/04/06 at 10:24 pm

Cat

that's a good idea, Cat...I never thought of that before. :)

Written By: Gis on 12/05/06 at 4:50 am

Could you check with your bank to see whether it has been cashed yet?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/06 at 10:16 am

that's a good idea, Cat...I never thought of that before. :)

I buy a lot of high ticket items (coins) and I really HATE PayPal so I either send a check or a money order (if they don't take credit cards directly). I hate to just send a check that has at least 3 digits without some kind of protection. Yeah, getting a money order and sending it return reciept does add  to the final price but for a bit of peace of mind, I think it is worth it.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/06 at 11:55 am

gosh, sometimes I wish I wasn't so honest! LOL!  I got a money order in the mail today for an item that was supposed to be $8.99....and when I looked at the amount it was for $190.00!! :o  So, I promptly re-enveloped it, and sent a message to the buyer stating what happened and that it would be mailed back. :D

Written By: Howard on 12/06/06 at 3:57 pm

gosh, sometimes I wish I wasn't so honest! LOL!  I got a money order in the mail today for an item that was supposed to be $8.99....and when I looked at the amount it was for $190.00!! :o  So, I promptly re-enveloped it, and sent a message to the buyer stating what happened and that it would be mailed back. :D

So you got a money order that was the wrong price.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/06/06 at 10:31 pm

So you got a money order that was the wrong price.

yes...and I did the honest thing, and sent it back! :)

Written By: Gis on 12/07/06 at 1:32 am

I just had a request to package up a skirt in 3 plastic layers due to the girl's phobia of dirt. I was happy to do it but it did occur to me that it's an odd thing to buy second hand clothes if you have a phobia of dirt! Ian said I should tell her I got a tramp to breathe in the bags and the alcohol in his breath should kill any germs, he's nasty sometimes!

Written By: Howard on 12/07/06 at 6:24 am

yes...and I did the honest thing, and sent it back! :)

Good Idea. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/06 at 9:20 am

I just had a request to package up a skirt in 3 plastic layers due to the girl's phobia of dirt. I was happy to do it but it did occur to me that it's an odd thing to buy second hand clothes if you have a phobia of dirt! Ian said I should tell her I got a tramp to breathe in the bags and the alcohol in his breath should kill any germs, he's nasty sometimes!

some people are SO anal about things! ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 10:28 am

I once bought something on e-bay (in fact, it was the very first item I bought on e-bay) for $9.99-I sent the woman $10. It was so much easier writing a check for $10 than for $9.99. She thanked me for the penny "tip".  ;D ;D  But, $190 is just a bit different than $8.99.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/07/06 at 9:22 pm

I once bought something on e-bay (in fact, it was the very first item I bought on e-bay) for $9.99-I sent the woman $10. It was so much easier writing a check for $10 than for $9.99. She thanked me for the penny "tip".  ;D ;D  But, $190 is just a bit different than $8.99.  :o :o :o

Cat

oh I know!! When I saw that amount I was like, "wow...this could buy a lot of Christmas presents"....but I would never have kept it...it's just not in my nature. ;D :D

Written By: Gis on 12/09/06 at 1:53 am

I bought something yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning!?! I don't know who to be more impressed with the girl I bought from or the postal service!  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 9:05 pm

gosh, I am sick of buyers on Ebay...they are so annoying. ::)  This lady b!tched at me because she didn't receive her package yet. I mailed it out on Dec. 5th and she has not received it...well, let's see...you live in Washington state...it's smack in the middle of Christmas season...and the package was not shipped priority....I use delivery confirmation on every single package that I mail out...to cover my a$$...so I simply gave her the confirmation number again, and explained that her package was indeed sent out in a timely manner....gosh, what a jerk. >:(...all that b!tchin' for a couple worn kid's outfits...you would have thought that she bought the holy grail off of me. ::)

Written By: Abix on 12/11/06 at 9:36 pm

LOL.. I found this incredibly funny.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 9:37 pm

LOL.. I found this incredibly funny.

that is so hilarious!  You meet all kinds on Ebay. ::)

Written By: Abix on 12/11/06 at 9:39 pm

Hi Erin,
Do you ever purchase anything on Ebay? If so, what is the most expensive thing you've ever bought? Did you purchase insurance ? I always wonder if I should purchase the insurance that the seller offers. I usually don't unless the item is greater than 50 dollars.

Also.. is it fair for the seller to charge say 6.00 shipping for a baseball card, and then when I get it, it's packaged in a 99 cent bubble mailer and the postmark says 49 cents.   ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 9:47 pm

Hi Erin,
Do you ever purchase anything on Ebay? If so, what is the most expensive thing you've ever bought? Did you purchase insurance ? I always wonder if I should purchase the insurance that the seller offers. I usually don't unless the item is greater than 50 dollars.

Also.. is it fair for the seller to charge say 6.00 shipping for a baseball card, and then when I get it, it's packaged in a 99 cent bubble mailer and the postmark says 49 cents.   ???

Yes, I have purchased a lot on Ebay. The most expensive item that I purchased was around $300.00...it was a camera...and yes, I did purchase insurance. I usually do the same as you...if it is over 50 dollars I purchase it, as a safety net.

And, regarding the overcharging of shipping...no way, that's ludicrous!!  A LOT of sellers up charge the shipping to try and make a few bucks...I never charge more than 2 dollars over the total price for shipping. I allow about a dollar extra to cover the delivery confirmation and a portion of the packaging envelopes that I buy especially to ship items in...but never more than that. I hate whenever sellers try to rip off people on the shipping amounts. >:(

Written By: Abix on 12/11/06 at 9:59 pm

I purchased a baseball card for nearly 300 dollars.. : :-\\

Let's Pray Francisco Liriano has a good career. :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/11/06 at 10:07 pm

I purchased a baseball card for nearly 300 dollars.. : :-\\

Let's Pray Francisco Liriano has a good career. :P

oh wow! that's cool though...it's all in what you collect. I have spent more money than I should on old postcards of now defunct places, that I collect souvenirs from.

Written By: Abix on 12/12/06 at 12:17 am

oh wow! that's cool though...it's all in what you collect. I have spent more money than I should on old postcards of now defunct places, that I collect souvenirs from.

Yeah, I'm off Ebay for a while.. after my last binge! :P

Written By: Gis on 12/12/06 at 1:33 am

Oh I hate getting stung with too high postage too! I got charged

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/06 at 11:50 am

Hi Erin,

Also.. is it fair for the seller to charge say 6.00 shipping for a baseball card, and then when I get it, it's packaged in a 99 cent bubble mailer and the postmark says 49 cents.  ???

We have charged $7 for something about the size of a baseball card but that INCLUDES insurence & priority shipping.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/12/06 at 12:57 pm

If you bought something from Ebay,How long would It take to come in the mail? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 2:12 pm

If you bought something from Ebay,How long would It take to come in the mail? ???

it depends on where it is coming from and how you have it shipped to you. If you bought something off of someone who lived in say...Pa (not that far from you)...and you wanted it sent priority mail...it would only take a couple of days....however, if you purchased something from someone in say....France....than it would take a lot longer to get to you. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 9:23 pm

Well...that lady that sent me the rude email, asking why her items had not gotten to her yet...emailed me once more. She kind of apologized for being so cranky, and explained that lately she was getting burned by sellers not sending items out to her...I guess it still does pay to be diplomatic toward people....kill em' with kindness! ;) :D

Written By: Gis on 12/13/06 at 6:31 am

Well...that lady that sent me the rude email, asking why her items had not gotten to her yet...emailed me once more. She kind of apologized for being so cranky, and explained that lately she was getting burned by sellers not sending items out to her...I guess it still does pay to be diplomatic toward people....kill em' with kindness! ;) :D
Yup I've found that does seem to work with most. ;D

Written By: MLB on 12/22/06 at 12:20 am

Anyone ! help!   me send a PM please.  I have a Finnish blue fox fur I want to get rid of. Jacket length not a long coat. Ladies size 5 with the sales tag still on it.  Don't believe in fur, inherited the thing and can't get the local antiques shops to even look at it.  went to the local web for a ebay seller/dealer but i must have said something wrong cause I never got a reply!  Not even a "sorry can't help you!"  Not a good way to do business if you ask me. But I could use the money if only I could sell it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 9:37 am

Anyone ! help!   me send a PM please.  I have a Finnish blue fox fur I want to get rid of. Jacket length not a long coat. Ladies size 5 with the sales tag still on it.  Don't believe in fur, inherited the thing and can't get the local antiques shops to even look at it.  went to the local web for a ebay seller/dealer but i must have said something wrong cause I never got a reply!  Not even a "sorry can't help you!"  Not a good way to do business if you ask me. But I could use the money if only I could sell it.

I PM'd you Michelle! ;)

Written By: Abix on 12/22/06 at 2:08 pm

ok now I have another issue, Erin. I just won an auction and the seller is in St. Paul less than 5 miles from me. I received an email from the seller saying that because we are so close, if I could just give my phone number, they will call and arrange a time when they can bring the item to my house and reimburse me for the shipping charges.  Me, being of the paranoid nature, automatically feels this is fishy. First of all , the seller just changed their user ID , and second of all, 'she' is offering to drop it off at my house, rather than me picking it up or meeting in a neutral public place. Am I being paranoid?  I'm just afraid 'she' will come over and case my house and then sell all my stuff on Ebay!! :P  I replied and told her that I don't mind the shipping cost (12 bucks for a plaque), and it's a busy time of year, and I'd be more comfortable if she just sent it. What would you do Erin?

Written By: Gis on 12/22/06 at 2:29 pm

ok now I have another issue, Erin. I just won an auction and the seller is in St. Paul less than 5 miles from me. I received an email from the seller saying that because we are so close, if I could just give my phone number, they will call and arrange a time when they can bring the item to my house and reimburse me for the shipping charges.  Me, being of the paranoid nature, automatically feels this is fishy. First of all , the seller just changed their user ID , and second of all, 'she' is offering to drop it off at my house, rather than me picking it up or meeting in a neutral public place. Am I being paranoid?  I'm just afraid 'she' will come over and case my house and then sell all my stuff on Ebay!! :P  I replied and told her that I don't mind the shipping cost (12 bucks for a plaque), and it's a busy time of year, and I'd be more comfortable if she just sent it. What would you do Erin?
I'd have maybe said I was going to be  in St Paul on buisness or something and could I pick it up at the same time.

Written By: Howard on 12/22/06 at 2:35 pm

What's the worst thing you've gotten from Ebay? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 7:58 pm

I would have just been honest with her and told her that you would feel more comfortable meeting in a public place...if she didn't go along with this...then something seems fishy. In my whole experience with Ebay, I've only had one local pick-up...we met in the parking lot of a restaurant. It was a headache though because he couldn't make it until a certain time....then something came up for me....it's just easier shipping it...but he wanted to pick it up because he was from the same town as me. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 7:59 pm

What's the worst thing you've gotten from Ebay? ???

a book that reeked like smoke....so bad that I had to pitch it. ::)

Written By: Abix on 12/22/06 at 8:10 pm

I would have just been honest with her and told her that you would feel more comfortable meeting in a public place...if she didn't go along with this...then something seems fishy. In my whole experience with Ebay, I've only had one local pick-up...we met in the parking lot of a restaurant. It was a headache though because he couldn't make it until a certain time....then something came up for me....it's just easier shipping it...but he wanted to pick it up because he was from the same town as me. :)

yeah , I basically did say I was more comfortable with her just shipping it.  I didn't want to seem rude though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:13 pm

yeah , I basically did say I was more comfortable with her just shipping it.  I didn't want to seem rude though.

no, that should be your prerogative. Most people wouldn't feel comfortable having a complete stranger come to their house, I know I wouldn't.

Written By: Abix on 12/22/06 at 8:17 pm

Hey this has nothing to do with Ebay...

But I was wondering, how do I add an additonal picture or avatar to my profile.. (for instance you have the Merry Christmas...)  someone sent me a great "Angel" avatar and I'd like to add it without changing my Abix avatar..

Any help would be appreciated .

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:22 pm

Hey this has nothing to do with Ebay...

But I was wondering, how do I add an additonal picture or avatar to my profile.. (for instance you have the Merry Christmas...)   someone sent me a great "Angel" avatar and I'd like to add it without changing my Abix avatar..

Any help would be appreciated .

I will PM you Angel! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:26 pm

Nevermind, I decided to post it here....it wouldn't let me add an attachment in a PM....so here's what it looks like:

Written By: Abix on 12/22/06 at 8:29 pm

Nevermind, I decided to post it here....it wouldn't let me add an attachment in a PM....so here's what it looks like:

do I need to upload it to something like 'photobucket'? I've never used it. I have the avatar thing saved on my pc.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:30 pm

do I need to upload it to something like 'photobucket'? I've never used it.

yes...you can use photobucket, image shack...any of those sites that host pics. I like photobucket, I've never had a problem with it...and I have about 400 pics in my account there so far.

Written By: Abix on 12/22/06 at 8:33 pm

yes...you can use photobucket, image shack...any of those sites that host pics. I like photobucket, I've never had a problem with it...and I have about 400 pics in my account there so far.

ok, let me give it a shot.
Thanks, Erin :)

woo hoo!! it worked! :P

Thanks Erin , You're the best! :-*

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/22/06 at 8:47 pm

ok, let me give it a shot.
Thanks, Erin :)

woo hoo!! it worked! :P

Thanks Erin , You're the best! :-*

awww..anything for you, girlie! :)

Written By: Howard on 12/23/06 at 6:46 am

cigarette smoke? :P

Written By: Gis on 12/23/06 at 12:04 pm

I'm amazed how many clothes I've bought that astink of B.O or smoke! My worst was a pair of shoes that were filthy dirty, falling to bits and STANK. They went straight into the bin! :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/23/06 at 5:26 pm

cigarette smoke? :P

yep.

I'm amazed how many clothes I've bought that astink of B.O or smoke! My worst was a pair of shoes that were filthy dirty, falling to bits and STANK. They went straight into the bin! :P

oh, that's just repulsive. I can't believe that someone would be okay with selling stuff like that. ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/06 at 6:59 am

yep.

oh, that's just repulsive. I can't believe that someone would be okay with selling stuff like that. ::)

Well Erin It's their own fault. ::)

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/31/06 at 3:45 pm

I've been asked to put my parents antique business online.  They have items ranging from a value of a few dollars to upwards of $100,000, anything from wax pictures of former supreme court justices, to Victorian era furniture, Noritake glassware and countless other items of glass, pottery, etc.

My question is this, and I'm asking rather than going through all the pages of posts to get the answer.

1.  Is a paypal account the best way to go with a situation like this???  If not, what do you suggest??

2.  If I decide I want to put on a few hundred items, is that too much of a task to take on from square one??  They literally have thousands of items.

3.  Make any recommendations you may have gathered from past experience in setting up a large scale project such as this.....

Thanks!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/06 at 4:24 pm

I've been asked to put my parents antique business online.  They have items ranging from a value of a few dollars to upwards of $100,000, anything from wax pictures of former supreme court justices, to Victorian era furniture, Noritake glassware and countless other items of glass, pottery, etc.

My question is this, and I'm asking rather than going through all the pages of posts to get the answer.

1.  Is a paypal account the best way to go with a situation like this???  If not, what do you suggest??

2.  If I decide I want to put on a few hundred items, is that too much of a task to take on from square one??  They literally have thousands of items.

3.  Make any recommendations you may have gathered from past experience in setting up a large scale project such as this.....

Thanks!!!!

Are you talking about setting up an e-bay account to sell this stuff or creating your own website?

For an e-bay account:

I would start off slowly with the smaller priced items. Many e-bayers don't want to fork out a lot of $$$ for a seller with little or no feedback.

As for creating your own website, you have to advertise on search engines (i.e. google) ALL THE TIME (I know this because my sister has a website and she told me this is what she has to do).

In both cases, PayPal is the best bet. Personally I HATE PayPal but when you are in business on the web it is a necessary evil.

Cat

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/31/06 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info Cat.  I want to sell this stuff for them on E-Bay, not set up a website of my own.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/06 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info Cat.  I want to sell this stuff for them on E-Bay, not set up a website of my own.

Like I said, start with the lesser value items first until you establish some feedback. As my sister says about e-bay: it is fickle. A lot of times it is a matter of putting the right items up at the right time. Other times, you may have massive competition. I wish you luck with the venture.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/01/07 at 1:10 am

Hey Esoxslayer.....there is such a thing on Ebay known as an Ebay store. It runs about $15 a month, I believe...and you can keep the items up for a longer period than ones that you would list via auctions. Here...you can state a particular price that you would like to obtain for an item and the buyer would buy it for the listed price rather then bidding on it.  You could try this, and build an Ebay store...PLUS, list some items in auction form. I suggest using reserve prices for the costly items....because then you would be getting at least the price that you have set for your reserve bid.

As Cat said, Paypal can be a pain...BUT, it is the easiest way to obtain monies from the buyers.  They take a small fee for each item that is paid for.....but it's a LOT quicker than waiting for a money order in the mail.

If you have any other questions...please feel free to ask. It sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine with the whole antique thing...I happen to love antiques...but have never had the funds to be a complete collector of many (although I do have a few pieces).

Written By: esoxslayer on 01/01/07 at 5:59 am

Hey Esoxslayer.....there is such a thing on Ebay known as an Ebay store. It runs about $15 a month, I believe...and you can keep the items up for a longer period than ones that you would list via auctions. Here...you can state a particular price that you would like to obtain for an item and the buyer would buy it for the listed price rather then bidding on it.  You could try this, and build an Ebay store...PLUS, list some items in auction form. I suggest using reserve prices for the costly items....because then you would be getting at least the price that you have set for your reserve bid.

As Cat said, Paypal can be a pain...BUT, it is the easiest way to obtain monies from the buyers.  They take a small fee for each item that is paid for.....but it's a LOT quicker than waiting for a money order in the mail.

If you have any other questions...please feel free to ask. It sounds like you are sitting on a gold mine with the whole antique thing...I happen to love antiques...but have never had the funds to be a complete collector of many (although I do have a few pieces).

Thanks for the info Quirk.....I'll keep you posted.......

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/26/07 at 6:17 pm

I HATE PAYPAL!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/26/07 at 11:40 pm

I HATE PAYPAL!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cat

I hear ya, Cat. It's a pain in the arse!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/07 at 7:14 am

Is paypal like a credit card?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 10:14 am

Is paypal like a credit card?

Paypal is like an online account that you can use to pay for auctions and other misc. things online. You can use a credit card on file, or you can build up monies within your paypal account, and it is subtracted via your purchases.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/07 at 1:56 pm

Paypal is like an online account that you can use to pay for auctions and other misc. things online. You can use a credit card on file, or you can build up monies within your paypal account, and it is subtracted via your purchases.

Do you have one yourself? ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 6:33 pm

Do you have one yourself? ???

yes I do.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/07 at 10:21 pm

yes I do.

How is it going?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/27/07 at 10:25 pm

How is it going?

Ebay? I sell every once in awhile...sometimes I sell a lot and sometimes I don't.

Written By: Howard on 01/27/07 at 10:32 pm

Ebay? I sell every once in awhile...sometimes I sell a lot and sometimes I don't.

How much this month so far?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/27/07 at 10:49 pm

I haven't had a problem with PayPal, and I've been buying stuff on Ebay for a few years now.  Mostly old newspapers and stuff from different historical events.  What kind of problems have you had with it?  I know you've mentioned that you don't like PayPal sometimes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 2:37 pm

I haven't had a problem with PayPal, and I've been buying stuff on Ebay for a few years now.  Mostly old newspapers and stuff from different historical events.  What kind of problems have you had with it?  I know you've mentioned that you don't like PayPal sometimes.

I was given the wrong information about how to handle a fraudulent buy. Because of that, it cost me over $200. Then we have PayPal automatically pay our ebay's fees. For some reason they didn't pay it this month and when we enquired about it, it took so long for us to get an answer back from them, we paid ebay ourselves and then we finally get an e-mail back from PayPal saying that the problem was taken care of-yeah it was because we took care of it ourselves-but they never answered our question-WHY they didn't. And I won't even go into their fees. That is just a few of the problems we have had with them. If we didn't have to work with them, we wouldn't. I know we could eliminate using them but we would lose business because many buyers perfer PayPal-it is very convenient. But unfortunately, if we want to make any kind of $$$ on ebay, we HAVE to use PayPal. And they know they have sellers by the balls.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/28/07 at 3:50 pm

How do you trust a seller?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 01/28/07 at 7:06 pm

How do you trust a seller? 

You look at their rating and you read the comments left behind for them by people who've purchased from them.  At least, that's what I do.  If I read a lot of comments from people that the seller is quick with delivery, that the items were sent in great condition, that they received payment in a good amount of time, I would consider that person someone to buy from. 

Written By: Howard on 01/28/07 at 9:47 pm

What would you do when you've received an item that's broken? 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/07 at 10:04 pm

What would you do when you've recieved an item that's broken? 

email the seller and hope that they will refund at least some of your money.

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 3:00 am

Or replace the item. I've had it happen a few times, broken items.
Best one was a plate sent from Canada in just a box, no protective wrapping whatsoever, and they *really* thought it was going to get all the way to the U.K in one piece??  ;D

Personally i've never had a problem with Paypal but Ebay itself is a different matter!  >:(

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 6:09 am

How long does a bid take?

Written By: Gis on 01/29/07 at 7:53 am

How long does a bid take?
That depends on when the auction ends Howard. Most people list an item for 7 days and the auction ends when those days are up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/07 at 11:39 am

Personally i've never had a problem with Paypal but Ebay itself is a different matter!  >:(

I read in the paper this morning that ebay's earning are up-and that is why they are going to raise their fees.  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 1:33 pm

I read in the paper this morning that ebay's earning are up-and that is why they are going to raise their fees.  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

damn them! I am sick and tired of them raising their fees....like aren't they making enough money already?!!?!  I SO wish that a company would give them some competition in the online auction business. Some have tried (Yahoo auctions, and other)....but none have been as successful as Ebay. They totally need some competition though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/07 at 1:40 pm

damn them! I am sick and tired of them raising their fees....like aren't they making enough money already?!!?!  I SO wish that a company would give them some competition in the online auction business. Some have tried (Yahoo auctions, and other)....but none have been as successful as Ebay. They totally need some competition though.

I agree.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 1:42 pm

I agree.

Cat

it just really sucks too, because they hardly EVER have any listing specials. I remember when I first started selling on there....it seemed like every other week they would have a discount insertion fee or some other feature that would cut down the cost of listing items...but nowadays, it's hardly ever that they feature something like that. :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/07 at 3:24 pm

it just really sucks too, because they hardly EVER have any listing specials. I remember when I first started selling on there....it seemed like every other week they would have a discount insertion fee or some other feature that would cut down the cost of listing items...but nowadays, it's hardly ever that they feature something like that. :(

They seem to have only about 2 a month or so-if that much.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 3:34 pm

That depends on when the auction ends Howard. Most people list an item for 7 days and the auction ends when those days are up.

Sometimes My father bids on an item and winds up being outbid by someone Or he winds up sitting by the computer till the auction is over.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 4:48 pm

Sometimes My father bids on an item and winds up being outbid by someone Or he winds up sitting by the computer till the auction is over.

yes, that happens a lot.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 6:08 pm

yes, that happens a lot.

Does it happen to you?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 6:32 pm

Does it happen to you?

yes, definitely

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 9:50 pm

yes, definitely

do you wind up sitting by your computer for hours?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 9:51 pm

do you wind up sitting by your computer for hours?

sometimes...especially when my auctions are ending.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/07 at 10:08 pm

sometimes...especially when my auctions are ending.

About what time do they end?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/07 at 10:10 pm

About what time do they end?

depends on what time I listed them....they run for a week.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/07 at 12:05 pm

Do you get annoyed sometimes when you feel someone outbid you?  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 12:21 pm

Do you get annoyed sometimes when you feel someone outbid you?  ???

of course

Written By: Howard on 01/30/07 at 1:18 pm

Is it better to go to an auction live or stay at home with Ebay?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/30/07 at 1:37 pm

Is it better to go to an auction live or stay at home with Ebay?

it depends, Howard.  I, personally (and amazingly) have never been to a live auction. The great thing about Ebay is that you have a MUCH broader spectrum of potential buyers, whereas, when you are at a live auction...it is limited to the people that are there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/07 at 12:31 pm

For all you people who sell on e-bay, where do you get your inventory from? We get ours from local auctions.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/03/07 at 10:16 pm

For all you people who sell on e-bay, where do you get your inventory from? We get ours from local auctions.

Cat

I get a lot of mine from thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army...and some local ones).  I also sell for other people....so they supply me with items that they want sold, and I sell the items for them. I have also sold a lot of stuff of my own that I found in the attic. I used to sell for this guy who would buy in bulk from department stores...but sadly, that came to an end.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/04/07 at 12:44 am

Ok....I effing hate Ebay customers...well, some of them. I had this women's clothing lot up on Ebay (6 pc clothing lot...most pieces were from Petite Sophisticate store, and a few others were misc brands....but namebrands, none the less). So I sell it to some lady for a whopping $2.99. She got 6 pieces of name brand clothing for $2.99. So, I get an email from her today stating that she got the package and she was, "SHOCKED" to find that one of the shirts in there was not Petite Sophisticate....and that she bought the lot ONLY because of it being from Petite Sophisticate.  I mean, how could I? I actually SHOCKED her.  She was out a whopping 3 bucks, and was all in an uproar because of a mix up in name brand. So, I refunded her money to her (minus the shipping of course)....it's not worth me telling her what a dumb b!tch she is and getting a negative against me....so I gave her back her damn 3 dollars.  I swear, some people piss me the hell off. >:(

Written By: Gis on 02/04/07 at 4:42 am

Ok....I effing hate Ebay customers...well, some of them. I had this women's clothing lot up on Ebay (6 pc clothing lot...most pieces were from Petite Sophisticate store, and a few others were misc brands....but namebrands, none the less). So I sell it to some lady for a whopping $2.99. She got 6 pieces of name brand clothing for $2.99. So, I get an email from her today stating that she got the package and she was, "SHOCKED" to find that one of the shirts in there was not Petite Sophisticate....and that she bought the lot ONLY because of it being from Petite Sophisticate.  I mean, how could I? I actually SHOCKED her.  She was out a whopping 3 bucks, and was all in an uproar because of a mix up in name brand. So, I refunded her money to her (minus the shipping of course)....it's not worth me telling her what a dumb b!tch she is and getting a negative against me....so I gave her back her damn 3 dollars.  I swear, some people piss me the hell off. >:(
I've had a similar thing happen it makes you want to slap some people SO hard!

Ian is doing battle with this guy who sold a Star Wars video set in a tin. He had it listed for

Written By: Howard on 02/04/07 at 12:13 pm

it depends, Howard.  I, personally (and amazingly) have never been to a live auction. The great thing about Ebay is that you have a MUCH broader spectrum of potential buyers, whereas, when you are at a live auction...it is limited to the people that are there.

And the fun part is you can just sit in your underwear all day without going out sitting by the computer.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/07 at 12:59 pm

Ian is doing battle with this guy who sold a Star Wars video set in a tin. He had it listed for

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/04/07 at 9:11 pm

Written By: Gis on 02/08/07 at 4:11 am

oh whatever...that's insane! If the jerk wanted a certain price for it, he should have been smart and put a reserve on it. Some people! ::) >:(
Good old Ebay stepped in and kicked the bloke's ass and he sent the item out.   

Written By: Howard on 02/08/07 at 6:14 am

Has anything ever came to you defective?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/08/07 at 7:57 am

Good old Ebay stepped in and kicked the bloke's ass and he sent the item out.   

thank goodness for that! ;)

Personally I have not...but I've heard of others receiving damaged goods.

Written By: Gis on 02/09/07 at 4:30 am

Sadly yes, thankfully most were refunded when I returned them.

Written By: Howard on 02/09/07 at 6:10 am

Sadly yes, thankfully most were refunded when I returned them.

So you were able to get your money back?

Written By: Gis on 02/10/07 at 4:18 am

So you were able to get your money back?
Yup.

Written By: Gis on 02/10/07 at 4:21 am

I just had one of my listings removed!  >:(

Apparently a company called 'Diva Corsets' said I infringed their rights with my listing because it had the words 'Diva' and 'Corset' in it, not even together ! My listing was called 'DISCO DIVA. RED & PURPLE GLITTER CORSET TOP.' so I have asked Ebay to explain why they felt my listing did indeed infringe this companies 'rights'.

Written By: Howard on 02/10/07 at 6:40 am

How does Ebay compare to any other auction web sites?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/10/07 at 10:25 pm

I just had one of my listings removed!  >:(

Apparently a company called 'Diva Corsets' said I infringed their rights with my listing because it had the words 'Diva' and 'Corset' in it, not even together ! My listing was called 'DISCO DIVA. RED & PURPLE GLITTER CORSET TOP.' so I have asked Ebay to explain why they felt my listing did indeed infringe this companies 'rights'.

I have had that happen to me several times. One time I was listing a lot of boy's underwear....and they took it down because I DID NOT have it under an adult listing.....um....why the hell would I have it under an adult listing...damn pervs. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/10/07 at 10:26 pm

How does Ebay compare to any other auction web sites?

there are no current auctions sites that compare anywhere near Ebay...the closest that I can think of is yahoo auctions.

Written By: Howard on 02/11/07 at 7:11 am

there are no current auctions sites that compare anywhere near Ebay...the closest that I can think of is yahoo auctions.

Do you ever go to Yahoo Auctions?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 8:55 pm

Do you ever go to Yahoo Auctions?

I have in the past...but they aren't nearly as productive as Ebay.

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/11/07 at 9:10 pm

Have you ever visited eBay?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/07 at 10:34 pm

Have you ever visited eBay?

NOOOOOOO :D ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/12/07 at 5:52 am

I have in the past...but they aren't nearly as productive as Ebay.

Cause Ebay is always busy

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/07 at 8:44 am

Cause Ebay is always busy

yes, it gets MUCH more traffic than other auction sites.

Written By: Gis on 03/10/07 at 4:04 am

Do you have the new feedback system in the U.S? If so what do you think of it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/07 at 4:05 am

Do you have the new feedback system in the U.S? If so what do you think of it?

hmmm...I wasn't aware of a new one, Gis...what's it like? Is it a lot different from the old system?

Written By: Gis on 03/10/07 at 4:12 am

hmmm...I wasn't aware of a new one, Gis...what's it like? Is it a lot different from the old system?
It's called feedback 2.0. It shows what the item is you have bought is underneth the feedback you leave, so if you click on someone's feedback score it shows exactly what they have been buying and selling, not necessarily a good idea! It actually looks really complicated when you go to leave feedback and I think it will put new people off leaving it. When it is for a seller you have to rate them from 1 - 5 on how well they described an item, how well they communicated, how quickly they sent off the item and if the P&P was reasonable. Apparently after 10 people do that you get an average on how good a seller you are. Also you are no longer able to have your feedback set to private.     

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/07 at 4:14 am

It's called feedback 2.0. It shows what the item is you have bought is underneth the feedback you leave, so if you click on someone's feedback score it shows exactly what they have been buying and selling, not necessarily a good idea! It actually looks really complicated when you go to leave feedback and I think it will put new people off leaving it. When it is for a seller you have to rate them from 1 - 5 on how well they described an item, how well they communicated, how quickly they sent off the item and if the P&P was reasonable. Apparently after 10 people do that you get an average on how good a seller you are. Also you are no longer able to have your feedback set to private.     

Hmmm....I'm not sure if I will like that.  You sometimes get jerks that get pissy over every little thing...I'd rather have a general "positive" feedback, w/o them "rating" me. :-\\

Written By: Gis on 03/10/07 at 4:20 am

Hmmm....I'm not sure if I will like that.  You sometimes get jerks that get pissy over every little thing...I'd rather have a general "positive" feedback, w/o them "rating" me. :-\\
I agree, I've had people giving me grief if I haven't posted an item the second after they paid for it.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/10/07 at 4:24 am

I agree, I've had people giving me grief if I haven't posted an item the second after they paid for it.  ::)

gosh, I hate when I get people like that....they can be so darn impatient. ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/07 at 12:28 pm

Am I the only one who has problems with the new listing format? What I really hate about it is that you can't paste. Carlos and I work together on that-he writes up the descriptions on the other computer-puts it on disk. I insert the disk into this computer and copy & paste it onto ebay. Now, I have to paste it onto the "insert" but those inserts don't come up right away. I have to leave the page and come back to it for them to be there. And I have to do the same thing with the photos from photobucket, too. I much prefer the old format but ebay is not going to be nice to me. I do not find this to be user friendly. Anyone else have problems with it?

Cat

Written By: Davester on 03/16/07 at 1:22 pm

What's your position on sniping..?  Do you consider it cheating..?

I snipe, but it depends on how bad I want something.  In seven years, haven't lost a single auction I've sniped...

Ever hear of TipTie..?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/07 at 1:49 pm

I snipe, but it depends on how bad I want something.  In seven years, haven't lost a single auction I've sniped...

Ever hear of TipTie..?

Sniping? Enlighten me, please.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/16/07 at 1:58 pm

Do you ever get those fake Ebay or Paypal accounts that sometimes arrive in your email?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/16/07 at 3:01 pm

Sniping? Enlighten me, please.

Cat

I got curious when I saw the question and went and looked it up. Sniping is when you wait until the last few seconds of the auction to place your bid.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/07 at 3:38 pm

I got curious when I saw the question and went and looked it up. Sniping is when you wait until the last few seconds of the auction to place your bid.

I do that all the time when I'm bidding. When I have an auction coming up, I watch the last few minutes hoping to see a bidding war. Several times someone has placed a bid in the last 10 seconds.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/16/07 at 8:02 pm

Am I the only one who has problems with the new listing format? What I really hate about it is that you can't paste. Carlos and I work together on that-he writes up the descriptions on the other computer-puts it on disk. I insert the disk into this computer and copy & paste it onto ebay. Now, I have to paste it onto the "insert" but those inserts don't come up right away. I have to leave the page and come back to it for them to be there. And I have to do the same thing with the photos from photobucket, too. I much prefer the old format but ebay is not going to be nice to me. I do not find this to be user friendly. Anyone else have problems with it?

Cat

Cat, may I make a suggestion? I have been using Turbo Lister for years now...and it makes it SO much easier. You are able to list all of your items on there (with virtually no problems whatsoever), and then you can upload them to Ebay whenever you want to.  It's a free program to download too...I can honestly say that I haven't had any problems with it....give it a try and tell me what you think of it. :)

Ever hear of TipTie..?

I don't really like it (whenever I am trying to bid on something)...I mean, if someone is waiting around and bids the last minute...then fine...but I don't like that they have programs out there that enable you to be the winner of the auction, via them sniping the bid for you...is that what TipTie is, btw?

Do you ever get those fake Ebay or Paypal accounts that sometimes arrive in your email?

yes..all the time. Don't ever click on them Howard...just forward them to spam. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/16/07 at 8:08 pm

hey Erin. how do you feel about overseas sellers, sellers from other countries? do you have any reservations about who you do business with?

Written By: Davester on 03/16/07 at 10:25 pm

I don't really like it (whenever I am trying to bid on something)...I mean, if someone is waiting around and bids the last minute...then fine...but I don't like that they have programs out there that enable you to be the winner of the auction, via them sniping the bid for you...is that what TipTie is, btw?

Sniping - kind of a contentious practice on eBay.  The basic arguement is that it's an unfair advantage on the sniper's part.  I disagree.  I can place my bid a week before the auction closes, or a fraction of a second.  I don't like to show those tracking the auction that I'm interested in the item.  The practice, in my experience, helps keep the price lower than a protracted bidding war (well, that is unless I go up against another sniper...)

Funny thing is, sniping is really no different than merely setting a ridiculously high proxy bid, but I hate, utterly despise shill bidders.  They're the scum of the Earth.  Sniping helps prevent being shilled by dishonest sellers...

TipTie was sort of an eBay sniping legend, and talked much s**t about it.  There exists this weird eBay-sniping online subculture.  TipTie held the record for most snipes, or most last-second snipes, or something.  He's since lost the distinction to another member groove ;) on...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/16/07 at 10:42 pm

I've sniped a couple of times.  If it's something that I really want and the bid is low enough, I'll come in with like 30 seconds left and place one.  I try and make sure there isn't enough time for the person who currently has the highest bid to find out, come on to the site and re-bid.  I've won several magazines/newspapers doing that, and I only do that for items that are not being sold by someone else.  What I mean is, if 5 people are selling the same item, I won't do it.  But if only one person is selling it and it's a good deal....then I will.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/07 at 12:37 am

hey Erin. how do you feel about overseas sellers, sellers from other countries? do you have any reservations about who you do business with?

I generally deal with the US and Canada...but I have shipped many packages to Europe and other places. I don't really have anything against it...I mean, if the person is willing to pay the large amount to ship it there...then so be it! :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/17/07 at 3:21 am

I generally deal with the US and Canada...but I have shipped many packages to Europe and other places. I don't really have anything against it...I mean, if the person is willing to pay the large amount to ship it there...then so be it! :)

in most cases I don't mind, other than the worry that if i have a problem with my purchase, it may be harder to rectify. I've bought CD's from Israel, the U.K., Japan but mostly from here in the states

Written By: Howard on 03/17/07 at 8:52 am

Cat, may I make a suggestion? I have been using Turbo Lister for years now...and it makes it SO much easier. You are able to list all of your items on there (with virtually no problems whatsoever), and then you can upload them to Ebay whenever you want to.  It's a free program to download too...I can honestly say that I haven't had any problems with it....give it a try and tell me what you think of it. :)

yes..all the time. Don't ever click on them Howard...just forward them to spam. ;)

My Father has an account with Ebay but why do they think that I have one?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/17/07 at 11:08 am

My Father has an account with Ebay but why do they think that I have one?  ???

They don't think you have one, Howard.  It's a scam.  I've gotten them and I have an account with Ebay.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/07 at 11:37 am

I just checked it out. Unfortunately, it requires Internet Explorer to use and mine is broke. My brother (the computer guru) told me that the only way to fix it was to wipe out the entire system (all files, programs, etc) and start from scratch. I'm really not willing to do that. So, I guess the Turbo Lister will have to wait until 1.) the make it for use with Firefox or 2.) we get a new computer.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/17/07 at 4:23 pm

They don't think you have one, Howard.  It's a scam.  I've gotten them and I have an account with Ebay.

A long time ago I must've opened up a scam email cause I thought I had an account with Paypal but I don't.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/17/07 at 10:09 pm

A long time ago I must've opened up a scam email cause I thought I had an account with Paypal but I don't.

ya, Howard...don't ever click links within those sort of emails....they are spam.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/07 at 2:36 pm

ya, Howard...don't ever click links within those sort of emails....they are spam.

It is worse than spam-it is phishing.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 03/18/07 at 3:22 pm

I just checked it out. Unfortunately, it requires Internet Explorer to use and mine is broke. My brother (the computer guru) told me that the only way to fix it was to wipe out the entire system (all files, programs, etc) and start from scratch. I'm really not willing to do that. So, I guess the Turbo Lister will have to wait until 1.) the make it for use with Firefox or 2.) we get a new computer.

Cat
Cat you should be able to copy all your programs to disk then wipe the system and reload the programmes from the disk.

Written By: Gis on 03/18/07 at 3:24 pm

I just got one tonight apparently I successfully listed an expensive computer only it came to 'gec' and not my user name so that made it even more obvious a scam!  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/07 at 6:06 pm

Cat you should be able to copy all your programs to disk then wipe the system and reload the programmes from the disk.

I could but do you know how long it will take to load everything on disk? Not something that I want to do. My brother said that he would reload our system but it will take 3 days-that does not include the task of trying to save everything first. I started to save stuff on cd but what a pain.

Cat

Written By: Gis on 03/19/07 at 4:37 am

I could but do you know how long it will take to load everything on disk? Not something that I want to do. My brother said that he would reload our system but it will take 3 days-that does not include the task of trying to save everything first. I started to save stuff on cd but what a pain.

Cat
Ian did ours in a day and he's got a lot of programmes on there. The bonus is he's got the disk as backup and it's even faster when he's had to do it since. He just set aside one weekend and worked on the computer, it's worth doing.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 6:00 am

I just got one tonight apparently I successfully listed an expensive computer only it came to 'gec' and not my user name so that made it even more obvious a scam!  ::)

Did you delete it?

Written By: Gis on 03/19/07 at 10:06 am

Did you delete it?
Yup, right after I forwarded it to Ebay's 'spoof' account.

Written By: Howard on 03/19/07 at 4:05 pm

Yup, right after I forwarded it to Ebay's 'spoof' account.

Nobody should be even getting it

Written By: limblifter on 03/23/07 at 1:11 pm

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but i'm too lazy to read through 18 pages ;)

Why is it when I look at an items bid history there is always one person (sometimes more) who places multiple bids in a row? They'll have a bid for 9.50, and then 30 seconds later they have another bid for 10.50.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/07 at 1:58 pm

How can I create an Ebay account?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/23/07 at 1:59 pm

You just to go Ebay.com and register.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/07 at 2:01 pm

You just to go Ebay.com and register.

I think I was asking Erin that question. ::)

Thanks for telling me Beth. ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/23/07 at 2:04 pm

I figured you were asking her, but I thought I'd answer you since I was here and I knew the answer, so you didn't have to wait until whenever Erin was able to get on.

Written By: Howard on 03/23/07 at 2:06 pm

I figured you were asking her, but I thought I'd answer you since I was here and I knew the answer, so you didn't have to wait until whenever Erin was able to get on.

Ok,Thanks again. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/07 at 12:28 pm

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but i'm too lazy to read through 18 pages ;)

Why is it when I look at an items bid history there is always one person (sometimes more) who places multiple bids in a row? They'll have a bid for 9.50, and then 30 seconds later they have another bid for 10.50.

Say the starting bid is $9.99 and Bidder 1 comes in and places a bid for $12.00 it will read that the highest bid is $9.99. Then Bidder 2 comes along and bids $10.50, the bidding will go up to something like $11.00 and Bidder 2 will have been outbid by Bidder 1. So, Bidder 2 will have to make a second bid if they want that item.  Bidder 2 will have to bid over $12.00 to get the highest bid but won't know that so sometimes they have to make several bids to get the highest bid. Does that make sense?

There are some people who will up their orginal bid for fear of being out bidded. So you may see 2 bids but only bidder and the item is still at the opening bid.

Cat

Written By: limblifter on 03/25/07 at 4:17 pm

Say the starting bid is $9.99 and Bidder 1 comes in and places a bid for $12.00 it will read that the highest bid is $9.99. Then Bidder 2 comes along and bids $10.50, the bidding will go up to something like $11.00 and Bidder 2 will have been outbid by Bidder 1. So, Bidder 2 will have to make a second bid if they want that item.  Bidder 2 will have to bid over $12.00 to get the highest bid but won't know that so sometimes they have to make several bids to get the highest bid. Does that make sense?

There are some people who will up their orginal bid for fear of being out bidded. So you may see 2 bids but only bidder and the item is still at the opening bid.

Cat

At first I thought it was just someone trying to jack up the price for the person running the auction.

Thanks for clearing that up Cat :)

Written By: Gis on 03/29/07 at 8:01 am

More new stuff in the U.K. Now you get the option to 'print a postage label' which takes you straight to paypal and charges your account for the pre paid postage label. The community boards are up in arms about it and the Post Office says they are seeking legal action and may refuse to handle any items with these labels on them.

Written By: karen on 03/29/07 at 8:11 am

This is sort of related to ebay.

At wrok we ordered something from a website, paid via Paypal and then didn't receive the goods.  We tried e-mailing the company but got no reply.  When I was doing some further searches I found they now have an ebay shop and gets lots of good feedback.  Since I have an ebay account I contemplated leaving them a bad review but I cna't decide if it's a bit mean.  What do you think?

btw we tried to use Paypal's complaint thing but since it was longer than 45 days since the order they wouldn't let us complain!

Written By: Gis on 03/29/07 at 10:32 am

At wrok we ordered something from a website, paid via Paypal and then didn't receive the goods.  We tried e-mailing the company but got no reply.  When I was doing some further searches I found they now have an ebay shop and gets lots of good feedback.  Since I have an ebay account I contemplated leaving them a bad review but I cna't decide if it's a bit mean.  What do you think?

btw we tried to use Paypal's complaint thing but since it was longer than 45 days since the order they wouldn't let us complain!
Unfortunatly you can't leave bad feedback for someone without buying an item from them on ebay first.  :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/29/07 at 10:43 am

Unfortunatly you can't leave bad feedback for someone without buying an item from them on ebay first.  :-\\

That's a shame.  I was amazed when I read all the good feedback about how quickly they sent the stuff out.  We waited five or six weeks the first time we used them.  The second time we were still waiting nearly 8 weeks later.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/29/07 at 12:41 pm

have you tried sending them a message via their Ebay account?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/07 at 11:12 am

More new stuff in the U.K. Now you get the option to 'print a postage label' which takes you straight to paypal and charges your account for the pre paid postage label. The community boards are up in arms about it and the Post Office says they are seeking legal action and may refuse to handle any items with these labels on them.

You can do that here in the States. I don't know if the community boards are up in arms about it or not or how the Post Office likes/dislike it. We have never used it (we print out our own lables). Have I mentioned how much I hate PayPal?

Cat

Written By: Gis on 04/03/07 at 1:23 am

It's driving me nuts. You can no longer see whether a buyer has paid or not without having to click on each item individually and it's really difficult to mark an item as dispatched.  >:(

Written By: gemini on 07/08/07 at 3:53 pm

Do you know anyone who has bought a car from ebay?  If so, how did it work out? Sounds a little risky unless it's real nearby where you live and you can go get a good look at it and drive it. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/08/07 at 10:18 pm

Do you know anyone who has bought a car from ebay?  If so, how did it work out? Sounds a little risky unless it's real nearby where you live and you can go get a good look at it and drive it. 

I don't know anyone personally that has purchased a car via Ebay...but yes, it would be very wise to deal with auctions that are in driving distance from you. I don't think that I would trust making that large of a purchase and not being able to take a look at it, take it for a test drive, etc.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/30/07 at 1:57 pm

What are some things to do to make sure you're not likely to be ripped off?

I've decided to sell the Sega Saturn game system elsewhere, but will still sell the games when on here when I have the chance.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/30/07 at 10:37 pm

What are some things to do to make sure you're not likely to be ripped off?

I've decided to sell the Sega Saturn game system elsewhere, but will still sell the games when on here when I have the chance.

Well, if you are a buyer....the main thing would be to check the seller's feedback scores. If they have a lot of negative or neutral feedbacks....stay away from them. Also, look at their shipping prices. If they are trying to charge you like $7 shipping for something like a CD...then you are getting very much ripped off...they are trying to make money off of the shipping charges (something that I don't do).

If you are a seller, you can put stipulations on your auction listing. For example, you could say that you only want bidders that have at least X amount of positive feedbacks...you could deny bidders with 0 feedbacks, you could specify that you only want to deal with individuals from only the US. It's sometimes tricky when you are the seller...because when someone bids on your item, you are taking the chance that they will pay you. If they don't pay, you can report them to Ebay, and sometimes they do something about it...and other times...by the time you report it...that buyer could already be long gone. One thing though...NEVER send the item out without first getting paid for it.

If you have any other questions...just ask! :)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/31/07 at 2:19 pm

Well, if you are a buyer....the main thing would be to check the seller's feedback scores. If they have a lot of negative or neutral feedbacks....stay away from them. Also, look at their shipping prices. If they are trying to charge you like $7 shipping for something like a CD...then you are getting very much ripped off...they are trying to make money off of the shipping charges (something that I don't do).

If you are a seller, you can put stipulations on your auction listing. For example, you could say that you only want bidders that have at least X amount of positive feedbacks...you could deny bidders with 0 feedbacks, you could specify that you only want to deal with individuals from only the US. It's sometimes tricky when you are the seller...because when someone bids on your item, you are taking the chance that they will pay you. If they don't pay, you can report them to Ebay, and sometimes they do something about it...and other times...by the time you report it...that buyer could already be long gone. One thing though...NEVER send the item out without first getting paid for it.

Thank you! :)

The last part of that is definetly a common sense thing. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/07 at 11:56 am

$7 for a CD is not necessarily a rip-off, it depends on what that includes. We send things off Priority Mail and WITH insurance. $7 for First Class WITHOUT insurance would definitely be a rip-off.  People have opted out of the Priority with insurance which is fine with us-but they do it at their own risk.

Cat 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/01/07 at 10:22 pm

$7 for a CD is not necessarily a rip-off, it depends on what that includes. We send things off Priority Mail and WITH insurance. $7 for First Class WITHOUT insurance would definitely be a rip-off.  People have opted out of the Priority with insurance which is fine with us-but they do it at their own risk.

Cat 

that's true. I usually send mine media mail (to keep costs low for the buyer)...unless they ask me to do otherwise. Also, I always do delivery confirmation....but never insurance, again, only if the buyer insists upon it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/07 at 4:57 pm

that's true. I usually send mine media mail (to keep costs low for the buyer)...unless they ask me to do otherwise. Also, I always do delivery confirmation....but never insurance, again, only if the buyer insists upon it.

Depending on what we are selling, we will offer Media Mail (if we can)-but usually EVERYTHING goes out Priority with insurance unless they request otherwise.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/07 at 6:18 pm

For all of you who sell on ebay, do you find that sales are VERY slow or is it just us?

Cat

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 7:55 pm

How easy is it to make money on Ebay?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/20/07 at 11:19 pm

For all of you who sell on ebay, do you find that sales are VERY slow or is it just us?

Cat

I haven't sold in awhile...mainly due to this reason. Over the past year or so...I haven't been able to sell nearly as much as I used to.

How easy is it to make money on Ebay?

sometimes..but it depends on what you are selling..and how much in demand it is.

Check for new replies or respond here...