inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Ultraviolet Anything About Art/Painting Tips

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:03 pm

Yeah, like I'm THAT interesting..  ;D

Subject: Re: Ask Anything About Ultraviolet

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/19/06 at 3:10 pm

How did you find this forum?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:15 pm

How did you find this forum?

To be honest, it was by accident. I had noticed in my "Show New Replies to your posts" that the question that arose in the PPP by ChuckyG whether we should make a separate forum or not, was still there and I just decided to check the main inthe00s.com page to see if there had been a separate page and there it was "Ask me, Ask me, Ask me."

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/19/06 at 3:21 pm

For those of us who are rather thick... explain the "Why are you looking at my" custom title?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/19/06 at 3:23 pm

For those of us who are rather thick... explain the "Why are you looking at my" custom title?

It's the beginning of a sentence which is ending with "Badtz Maru" so, the full sentence would be "Why are you looking at my Badtz Maru?" Except, there's no question mark I can input, unfortunately  :(

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/19/06 at 3:25 pm

It's the beginning of a sentence which is ending with "Badtz Maru" so, the full sentence would be "Why are you looking at my Badtz Maru?" Except, there's no question mark I can input, unfortunately  :(

Oh, got it. Thanks!

Subject: Ask Ultraviolet about Painting/Art

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/06 at 12:29 am

Oh, got it. Thanks!

No Problem... :0)

I'm going to change the topic of this one... so lets see what comes up now

It was formerly "Ask Ultraviolet Anything" now it will be "Ask Ultraviolet about Painting/Art"

Subject: Re: Ask Ultraviolet Anything About Art/Painting Tips

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/20/06 at 12:47 am

How many different sizes of brushes do you use?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/06 at 12:52 am

How many different sizes of brushes do you use?

I tend to paint smaller paintings, so I very rarely use brushes that are more than an inch in width nor lengh. They usually are the pointed ones or the flat squared off brushes. I like to use the squirrel fur ones for most paintings as they absorb pigment well. Synthetic ones are better for acrylics but definetly not much else (maybe oils, if you want to use some impasto effects and achieve greater thickness)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/20/06 at 5:16 pm

Do you like using watercolours or oils or which other?  I recall at college (years ago) guache was the versatile medium to use and gave good coverage but with really vivid colours.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/06 at 5:39 pm

Do you like using watercolours or oils or which other?  I recall at college (years ago) guache was the versatile medium to use and gave good coverage but with really vivid colours.

I had always wanted to dabble into guache, as it's one major medium I've never used. I originally started painting in watercolour when I first started out, but some paintings seem more suited for oils than others, so I will tend to paint in oil for those kinds of paintings. My heart is still with watercolor, though, as that is where it all began for me :0)

Here is a watercolor/ink wash I did about 6-7 years ago.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ultraviolet521/GasMasks.jpg

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/21/06 at 10:32 am

I had always wanted to dabble into guache, as it's one major medium I've never used. I originally started painting in watercolour when I first started out, but some paintings seem more suited for oils than others, so I will tend to paint in oil for those kinds of paintings. My heart is still with watercolor, though, as that is where it all began for me :0)

Here is a watercolor/ink wash I did about 6-7 years ago.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e10/ultraviolet521/GasMasks.jpg

Hey that's a really great drawing, you got some great light/dark tonal stuff that sets the mood of the mens situation, I like the colours you've used on their bags too and in the background, thanks for showing it.  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/21/06 at 5:53 pm

Thanks Babooshka :0) I appreciate it. I was thinking of where this painting went and now I remember I gave it away to my teacher before I graduated because he liked it a lot.

This is the original by John Singer Sargent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/lj/warslj/images/art_gassed_b.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/06 at 6:08 pm

Have you ever gotten paid for any of your work or do you just do it for the enjoyment?

Cat

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/21/06 at 6:53 pm

What's your favorite medium of art to do... and what's your favorite to look at?

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/03/06 at 7:43 pm

Well, this still hasn't been answered, so...

BUMP!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/03/06 at 8:05 pm

Well, this still hasn't been answered, so...

BUMP!

Whoops - Sorry, sometimes being away for more than a day can foul things up for me:

Let me get to these real quick:

For CatwomanofV,
I do my work mainly for enjoyment but I have sold 3 paintings - one at an art show and two on Ebay. I would like to make it a profitable endeavor one of these days, but I still gotta work for the man in the meantime  ;D

And for DominEl,
I love most mediums, but Watercolors are still my favorite choice. Oil's are great but require more clean up and more time. It would take me a good afternoon to get a decent painting done in oil, but for watercolors, I could knock out 2 or 3 and feel more accomplished, lol  ;D

I like looking at all art media. I enjoy viewing mainly watercolors and oils and some pastels.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 9:43 pm

Krissy...do you also do interior painting (on walls)?  I have a quick question....we are going to be painting our kitchen a bright red color....would it be sufficient to use a white primer...or should we get a primer that is like gray or something..for the best coverage?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/04/06 at 1:59 pm

Krissy...do you also do interior painting (on walls)?  I have a quick question....we are going to be painting our kitchen a bright red color....would it be sufficient to use a white primer...or should we get a primer that is like gray or something..for the best coverage?

A white primer should be just fine. You could even get a tinted primer to match the color's tone if you'd want, as it may be easier to cover rather than a pure white.

Also, be sure to get a satin paint. Don't do a gloss or a semi-gloss as it looks too funky, especially in red. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 9:11 pm

Hey Krissy..I thought I would revive your thread.

I have been thinking about starting to paint...basically abstract stuff. what do you suggest would be good materials for a beginner painter/artist?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/13/06 at 5:54 pm

Hey Krissy..I thought I would revive your thread.

I have been thinking about starting to paint...basically abstract stuff. what do you suggest would be good materials for a beginner painter/artist?

Wow, thank you! It's really funny you brought this back because last night I pulled out my pastels and pastel paper and did a painting. It was such a release and felt so nice. I hadn't done that in what felt like ages!

For any kind of paint styles (abstract, impressionist, neo-classical, baroque, etc.) you can use the following mediums -

- watercolor (watercolor can be difficult without an outline using a colored pencil (not a regular pencil, as that can run in with light colors. When doing an abstract, it's a bit easier because lines are easy to stay in and you can keep colors from running from a box to another box by just simply using a towel to wipe the drainage)
- oils (oils are fairly hard to use at first, but I think with an abstract painting you have an advantage because you can be more loose and liberal with your colors and shapes - it doesn't have to be a perfect balance)
- oil pastel (oil pastel has been one of my all-time favorite of mediums. It gives you the flexibility of a crayon and the looks of very rich, deep color that oil paints give paintings. To keep this richness, make sure to use paper that has minimal texture, otherwise the texture will take away from the richness of the color.
- color pencil Probably not the best medium for abstract paintings, but it could be done if you'd like to give it a try. The more expensive the color pencil the better because they have better pigments.
- acrylic I generally don't like using acrylics, but for abstract paintings, acrylics seem to work well. The colors are generally flat once dry, so the abstract effect seems to work well for this sort of look.

For Brushes - I usually use the sable kind. I love these because they are just right in thickness and they flow well with just about any medium you use and they are also fairly easy to clean one you're done.

As for paper, it depends on the medium, but this is what I'd suggest:

Canvas - oil paints, pastels and some watercolors (some canvas makers do have certain canvases for watercolors)
Bristol Paper - this could be good for acrylics or colored pencils.
Watercolor paper - pretty much best for watercolor.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/14/06 at 12:24 am

Wow, thank you! It's really funny you brought this back because last night I pulled out my pastels and pastel paper and did a painting. It was such a release and felt so nice. I hadn't done that in what felt like ages!

For any kind of paint styles (abstract, impressionist, neo-classical, baroque, etc.) you can use the following mediums -

- watercolor (watercolor can be difficult without an outline using a colored pencil (not a regular pencil, as that can run in with light colors. When doing an abstract, it's a bit easier because lines are easy to stay in and you can keep colors from running from a box to another box by just simply using a towel to wipe the drainage)
- oils (oils are fairly hard to use at first, but I think with an abstract painting you have an advantage because you can be more loose and liberal with your colors and shapes - it doesn't have to be a perfect balance)
- oil pastel (oil pastel has been one of my all-time favorite of mediums. It gives you the flexibility of a crayon and the looks of very rich, deep color that oil paints give paintings. To keep this richness, make sure to use paper that has minimal texture, otherwise the texture will take away from the richness of the color.
- color pencil Probably not the best medium for abstract paintings, but it could be done if you'd like to give it a try. The more expensive the color pencil the better because they have better pigments.
- acrylic I generally don't like using acrylics, but for abstract paintings, acrylics seem to work well. The colors are generally flat once dry, so the abstract effect seems to work well for this sort of look.

For Brushes - I usually use the sable kind. I love these because they are just right in thickness and they flow well with just about any medium you use and they are also fairly easy to clean one you're done.

As for paper, it depends on the medium, but this is what I'd suggest:

Canvas - oil paints, pastels and some watercolors (some canvas makers do have certain canvases for watercolors)
Bristol Paper - this could be good for acrylics or colored pencils.
Watercolor paper - pretty much best for watercolor.

wow, thanks so much for taking the time to explain the different options....I will keep all of them in mind when the time comes when I start shopping for materials! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...