inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me About Vermont

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/19/06 at 4:04 pm

Yeah, I'm jumping on the band wagon-so ask away.

Cat

Subject: Re: Ask Me About Vermont

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/06 at 12:52 pm

What state are you in? ;) ;D

I KNEW you were going to ask that. The State of Confussion.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/06 at 1:45 pm

You ever been to the actual Inn used on Newhart?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/06 at 1:53 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/20/06 at 6:09 pm

What are some of your favorite local, exclusively in Vermont stores/restaurants/etc.?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/20/06 at 6:16 pm

What are some of your favorite local, exclusively in Vermont stores/restaurants/etc.?

We had a store here in town called Vermont Secrets that sold a lot of Vermont products but they closed  :\'(. I used to do a lot of Christmas shopping in there. I do love to get people Vermont products if they don't live in the state. There is the "infamous" Vermont Country Store which believe it or not, I have never been to.

FYI: A Vermont "secret". When buying REAL maple syrup-the grade B is the best. People think that Grade A is the best but we say that is for the tourists.  ;D

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/20/06 at 11:16 pm

Are there a lot of scenes that are Currier & Ives like in Vermont during winter time?

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 2:45 am

No, but I have been by it. It is called the Waybury Inn in Middlebury which is about 45 minutes from here.

Cat

and speaking of Newhart, are the people of Vermont really like it was depicted on that show?  Are there any Larry and the Daryl's around? :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/21/06 at 1:34 pm

Are there a lot of scenes that are Currier & Ives like in Vermont during winter time?

I think so but I have yet to see a horse drawn sleigh. Usually it is snowmobles.

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/25/06 at 2:27 am

Well, I liked the results for DC, so...

What's your favorite four letter word that can be made using the letters VERMONT?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/06 at 11:02 am

Well, I liked the results for DC, so...

What's your favorite four letter word that can be made using the letters VERMONT?

Hmmmm, that is a tough one. If we were still landlords I would say RENT but since we are not, maybe TONE or NOTE, Ya know what I mean, VERN?  ;)

Cat

Written By: KKay on 04/25/06 at 11:07 am

i loooooooooove maple candy.
who makes the best?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/06 at 11:13 am

i loooooooooove maple candy.
who makes the best?

I really can't say. Haven't had it in a long time. I would advise to read the label and if it says "Made in Vermont" it should be good.  ;) ;D

Cat

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/25/06 at 7:31 pm

Are there hicks in Vermont? If so, describe them to me.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/26/06 at 8:17 am

I recently read an article about Vermont and the fact they've lost more soldiers in the National Guard per capita than any other state.  In that article, they lead off calling it a libertarian state, and then halfway through call it the Blue-est of the Blue states (Howard Dean, votes for impeachment of Bush), very liberal, but yet not hardcore Democrats.

So what is the prevailing political bent of the state?  is it Libertarian, Liberal or Democrat?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/06 at 10:38 am

Are there hicks in Vermont? If so, describe them to me.

Of course there are. Look at the hicks you know that they is what they are like here-only speaking with a "Vemont" accent. In my many travels, I have learned that a hick is a hick is a hick and it doesn't matter where they are.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/06 at 11:06 am

I recently read an article about Vermont and the fact they've lost more soldiers in the National Guard per capita than any other state.  In that article, they lead off calling it a libertarian state, and then halfway through call it the Blue-est of the Blue states (Howard Dean, votes for impeachment of Bush), very liberal, but yet not hardcore Democrats.

So what is the prevailing political bent of the state?  is it Libertarian, Liberal or Democrat?

Good question. The funny thing is, Vermont has a history of being the most Republican state in the union. Back in 1930s Vermont was the only state that didn't carry FDR and the state declared war on Germany before the U.S. did. Today, the political scene is a bit different. In the last 50 years or so, Vermont has had a turnover of people. Many people move out of the state for two main reasons, 1. they don't like the winters 2. not too many good jobs.  We have a lot of "flatlanders" mostly from NY and NJ but also from other states, too. They come up here to "get back to nature" so to speak. Yeah, some of those are the leftover hippies from the 60s. In fact, in the 60s, there were many communes up here. So those people tend to be on the liberal side. The native or "woodchucks" tend to be more conservitive or Republicans because that is what their families were for many generations. Both the State Senate and House are Democrat at the moment (the Republicans held the Senate after the Civil Unions bill was passed until the last election). We also have a lot of Independents (our lone congressperson Bernie Sanders is the only Independent in the U.S. House-at least until next year when he will be the only Independent in the Senate after taking over for the lone Independent Jim Jeffords). I would say that Vermont is more liberal with the motto "We don't care what you do as long as you don't do it in the streets and scare the horses."

Yes, Vermont has lost more National Guard people per capita than any other state. The head of the Guard (Martha Rainville) is running for Congress as a Republican. I don't think she has a chance.

I hope this answers your question.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 04/26/06 at 11:20 am

a friend of mine claims vermont doesn't really exist, that it's all an elaborate hoax. what do you say to this?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/06 at 11:57 am

a friend of mine claims vermont doesn't really exist, that it's all an elaborate hoax. what do you say to this?

A hoax? Really? You mean that I have been dupe all this time? I'll have to do some research on this one.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 04/26/06 at 12:02 pm

A hoax? Really? You mean that I have been dupe all this time? I'll have to do some research on this one.  ;)

Cat
anytime someone claims to be from vermont, she looks at them suspicioously and says, "vermont? likely story."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/06 at 12:15 pm

anytime someone claims to be from vermont, she looks at them suspicioously and says, "vermont? likely story."

I always thought the response to some saying they were from Vermont was, "What state is that in?"

Funny story: One time on our way across country, the car died just outside of Indianapolis. So we got to a local shop. One guy looked at the car's plate and said, "Vermont? Isn't that one of those small states?" Then he asked, "Is that anywhere near Virgina?" I said, "In the dictionary, maybe".  :D ;D ;D  Carlos told him that if you flatten out the state it would be bigger than Texas.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 04/26/06 at 5:36 pm

Why is it that when I meet someone from the Northeast Kingdom they seem to be real tight around the tush snobs, and keep stressing that they are from the Northeast Kingdom.  For all those who don't know the northeastern corner of Vermont is referred to as the Northeast Kingdom.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/06 at 5:49 pm

Why is it that when I meet someone from the Northeast Kingdom they seem to be real tight around the tush snobs, and keep stressing that they are from the Northeast Kingdom.  For all those who don't know the northeastern corner of Vermont is referred to as the Northeast Kingdom.

Your guess is as good as mine. I guess they think that they think that their "stuff" doesn't stink because it is so cold up there and it freezes.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 5:33 pm

Cold, snowy, green forests, fresh air, lakes, little pollution, hunting, sking, skating, amiright? Crime is everywhere, but seldom hear Vermont mentioned on the news. So what are some of the big cities, are there problems with teen gangs and drugs?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/17/06 at 3:02 pm

Cold, snowy, green forests, fresh air, lakes, little pollution, hunting, sking, skating, amiright? Crime is everywhere, but seldom hear Vermont mentioned on the news. So what are some of the big cities, are there problems with teen gangs and drugs?

Yeah, we have those problems here. Our big cities are Burlington, Rutland, Montpelier (the capital), Brattleboro, and Bennington. This is a very agracultural society so many people know how to grow a certain herb.  ;) There was some talk about gangs moving in from Conn. a few years back but I haven't heard anything about them lately. There is also talk in the legistation about getting meth clinics in for addicts. And yes, we do have murders here-but usually for the whole state, the number is usually in the double digits for the year.  We had a kid kill just two doors away from us by some guy who sent him a bomb via UPS-the guy was from Indiana (?) We were home when the bomb went off and felt it. We thought it was a truck backfiring. So yeah, we do have our share but it is not as frequent. In fact, most people don't even bother to lock their doors.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/18/06 at 4:07 pm

In the Boston Globe Magazine on Sunday there was an article about a woman from Massachusetts who embezzled up to 9 million dollars from her boss. One of the things she bought was an estate in West Haven Vermont. Isn't that where you are?  The womans name is Angela Platt(husband Kevin)and the place is a 100 acre spread on top of a hill woth all the acoutrements.  Do you know them or the place.  The man she embezzled from was able to take possession and now he owns it, his name is John Ferreira.  He built a landscaping business from scratch and trusted her with all his financials.  He'll never do that again    :o

www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/09/17/the_inside_job/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/06 at 11:44 am

In the Boston Globe Magazine on Sunday there was an article about a woman from Massachusetts who embezzled up to 9 million dollars from her boss. One of the things she bought was an estate in West Haven Vermont. Isn't that where you are?  The womans name is Angela Platt(husband Kevin)and the place is a 100 acre spread on top of a hill woth all the acoutrements.  Do you know them or the place.  The man she embezzled from was able to take possession and now he owns it, his name is John Ferreira.  He built a landscaping business from scratch and trusted her with all his financials.  He'll never do that again    :o

www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/09/17/the_inside_job/

Wow, I'm surprised someone brought up one of the two threads I have in this section.  :o :o :o

West Haven is a hop, skip, and a jump from here-maybe about 5 miles down the road. But the funny thing is, we go by it all the time on our way to the marina but I have NEVER been there-it is only a tiny little town. Population about 5.  :D :D  (ok, maybe a bit more  ;) ) This story has been in the local papers. I don't know any of the people involve but I think I may know the place. A few years back, we were thinking of selling this house and buying a different one. I was doing some searches on-line and found a BEAUTIFUL house in West Haven-of course they wanted mega-bucks for it. I wouldn't be bit surprised if this wasn't the same house.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/06 at 4:48 pm

Wow, I'm surprised someone brought up one of the two threads I have in this section.  :o :o :o

West Haven is a hop, skip, and a jump from here-maybe about 5 miles down the road. But the funny thing is, we go by it all the time on our way to the marina but I have NEVER been there-it is only a tiny little town. Population about 5.  :D :D  (ok, maybe a bit more  ;) ) This story has been in the local papers. I don't know any of the people involve but I think I may know the place. A few years back, we were thinking of selling this house and buying a different one. I was doing some searches on-line and found a BEAUTIFUL house in West Haven-of course they wanted mega-bucks for it. I wouldn't be bit surprised if this wasn't the same house.

Cat

Well maybe the new owner would consider.  It is on the top of a hill with a huge swimming pool and a poolside fireplace.  I can move in on a moments notice  ;) :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/06 at 5:46 pm

Well maybe the new owner would consider.  It is on the top of a hill with a huge swimming pool and a poolside fireplace.  I can move in on a moments notice  ;) :D

I must admit when I wrote my last post, I hadn't read the article. I now have and I was confusing that story with another one that was in the paper. This guy (who was in jail) swindled $$$$ out of this old lady. She didn't live in West Haven, but the next town over-that was why I was confused. This story, however, I hadn't heard before. I'm not too sure if it was the same house I was looking at. The one I was looking at had something like 2-3 fireplaces and I don't recall a pool-but it might have. The only thing I did recognized in the article was when they said the neighbor quitting his job at Sam's U-Save. Sam is known as "Sleazy Sam" so I'm not surprised at the guy's willingness to quit a job like that-probably making minimum wage for a job that makes over $800 a week.  :o  Even I might continplate taking a job like that.  ;)  What really gets me about the article was it said  that Angela and Kevin would pay for everyone's meals when they went to local restaurants. How come they were never there when I was there-and pay for my dinner?  :\'(  I am friendly with some of the waitresses at a local restaurant. The next time I see them, I will ask if they were the recipients of that $300 tip.

Cat

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/03/06 at 3:36 am

I have two questions: How is Vermont different from New Hampshire? And how strong is the French influence on regional culture?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/06 at 12:37 pm

I have two questions: How is Vermont different from New Hampshire? And how strong is the French influence on regional culture?

It depends of what you mean by "different". In terms of climate, landscape, etc. they are pretty much the same. In terms of the "attitude" and such, very different. Vermont is more liberal than NH. There is a saying, "Just don't do it in the streets and scare the horses". Politically we have open primaries-meaning that anyone can vote for whatever party they wish to. You don't have to be a registered member of any party to vote in a primary. The one person who was crying fowl about that law was someone who lost a primary by a LANDSLIDE a few years back to an old dairy farmer who said that if he won the primary, he was going to vote for his opponent-and did.  :D ;D ;D ;D  (That was truly a funny story)

Vermont prides itself as having a "rural" atmostphere. Billboards are not allowed in the state and we try to keep urban sprawl from getting too much out of control. We have laws that if you are going to build-you have to have a permit and you can't build if anyone has a complaint about it-without settling the matter first. A few years back, we replaced our old shed that was falling apart. We had to get a permit-stick it up on the front of the house and wait for a week or 2 just to make sure that neighbors didn't have a problem with it. Of course there are some people who have a problem with this law.

What I know about NH is that they don't have state taxes (not too sure how they pay for things) and I know they get a lot of people who live there, work in Boston. So, I'm sure they have a lot of Mass. influcences. And of course NH has the media circus every four years with their primary for pres.

As for the French influence, there is some but it is more noticable along the Canadan border than here (we are in the center of the state). And the further north you go, you see some road signs in both English and French.  In terms of the folk art/music there is some.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/13/06 at 12:55 am

Approximately how many miles is it from the northern border of Vermont to the southern border?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/06 at 2:00 pm

Approximately how many miles is it from the northern border of Vermont to the southern border?

160 miles.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/13/06 at 2:32 pm

When I was a kid, I remember seeing something on TV about some kind of large sea creature that has been sighted in Lake Champlain (which lies between Vermont and upstate NY). Apparently this creature is reported to be similar in appearance to the Loch Ness Monster.
    Have there been recent sightings? Have you or anyone you know actually seen it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/06 at 2:54 pm

When I was a kid, I remember seeing something on TV about some kind of large sea creature that has been sighted in Lake Champlain (which lies between Vermont and upstate NY). Apparently this creature is reported to be similar in appearance to the Loch Ness Monster.
    Have there been recent sightings? Have you or anyone you know actually seen it?

You are talking about Champ. Yes, Champ is very much like Nessie meaning, there is no proof whether he actually exists or not. However, both NY state and Vermont have declaired Champ an endangered species (just in case). We sail on Lake Champlain all the time. Carlos likes to tell a tale about seeing evidence Champ and when he is done with the story, he has a straight face and slowly you see the corners of his mouth curl up into a smile to tell you that he is B.S.ing. Actually, he did see a bunch of fish jumping out of the water-probably being chased by a BIG fish-but probably not Champ.

I can't say whether I believe Champ exists or not. Seeing is believe and so far, I have not seen. But, I don't rule out the posibility. Some parts of the lake are over 300 feet deep (maybe more). We usually sail in the southern part where it is much shallower so we don't usually get a chance to be in an area that Champ could possibilly be.

BTW, the similaries between Champ & Nessie are uncanny. Loch Ness & Champlain are basically on the same latitude, made by glacers, and both have access to the ocean. I have heard that there is another lake and another "lake monster" located somewhere in Canada along the same latitude. I can't remember all the details to that one.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/13/06 at 5:52 pm

How much snow could you get in Vermont?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/06 at 12:50 pm

How much snow could you get in Vermont?

As Carlos says, more than enough. However, the annual average snowfall is normally between 65

Written By: Howard on 10/15/06 at 7:33 am

Does snow ever melt or Is it cold all year round?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/06 at 1:39 pm

Does snow ever melt or Is it cold all year round?

Our climate is not much different from yours. We have our heatwaves in summer and our cold spells in winter.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/15/06 at 6:32 pm

This isn't really a question, but a comment.  I went up to Vermont this summer.  My favorite thing about Vermont is the air quality.  I could actually breath!!!  The folks up there are very nice.  I like it much better than PA.  Besides the Republicans up there act like the Democrats down here,  I think I saw two or three Bush stickers.  (Compared to the 700000 I see down here) :)

Written By: Howard on 10/15/06 at 9:58 pm

Our climate is not much different from yours. We have our heatwaves in summer and our cold spells in winter.

Cat

Oh,So The snow DOES melt?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/06 at 10:56 am

This isn't really a question, but a comment.  I went up to Vermont this summer.  My favorite thing about Vermont is the air quality.  I could actually breath!!!  The folks up there are very nice.  I like it much better than PA.  Besides the Republicans up there act like the Democrats down here,  I think I saw two or three Bush stickers.  (Compared to the 700000 I see down here) :)

The air quality, for the most is good but we do have our problems. We have a problem with acid rain because of plants in the midwest. Right now, there is a battle going on because Ticonderoga Paper Mill which is located on the New York side of Lake Champlain wants to start burning tires. Vermont is fighting this because the toxins from that will come directly to Vermont. When we are out on Champlain, and if the wind is blowing the right way, you can smell that mill and man, does it stink!  >:(

The political scene here is very interesting. At one point, Vermont was the most Republican state in the nation (the only state that didn't carry FDR). However, things changed when the Republican party changed. Even our Senator Jim Jeffords (who was once a Republican) became an Independent. As of the moment, we are the only state with an Independent in the House and the Senate. Yeah, we do have die-heart Republicans but I would say the majority of the state identifies themselves as Independents (including Carlos and myself).

Oh,So The snow DOES melt?

Yes, Howard. The snow does melt-usually by late March-but we do get an occasional snowfall in April and sometimes May.  :o

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 5:40 pm

Have you ever been stuck in a blizzard up there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/06 at 5:54 pm

Have you ever been stuck in a blizzard up there?

Nope. We have snowplows.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 6:01 pm

Nope. We have snowplows.

Cat

And that takes care of the heavy snow?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/06 at 6:04 pm

And that takes care of the heavy snow?

Yup.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/16/06 at 6:06 pm

Yup.

Cat

How much snow does it push away?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/16/06 at 6:08 pm

How much snow does it push away?

It pushes away all the snow that is on the road.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/17/06 at 7:28 am

It pushes away all the snow that is on the road.

Cat

Like 2 feet worth of snow?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/17/06 at 12:21 pm

Like 2 feet worth of snow?

Sometimes more.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/17/06 at 10:26 pm

Sometimes more.

Cat

And I bet you're buried "balls deep"(pardon the expression) in snow?  :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 12:48 pm

How are the autumn leaves this year? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 1:09 pm

How are the autumn leaves this year? 

It is peak right now-and we seem to be having a good season (not as good as some but much better than others). I have seen it where it wasn't that great and others that were just spectacular.  I favorite has to be the sugar maples that become crimson. Every year I am still in awe of the beauty. It never gets old.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/18/06 at 1:51 pm

It is peak right now-and we seem to be having a good season (not as good as some but much better than others). I have seen it where it wasn't that great and others that were just spectacular.  I favorite has to be the sugar maples that become crimson. Every year I am still in awe of the beauty. It never gets old.

Cat

One of my dream vacations is to visit New England in the fall.  One of these days I'll get there!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/06 at 2:08 pm

One of my dream vacations is to visit New England in the fall.  One of these days I'll get there!

A few things to think about, we, up here in Vermont, reach peak later than in southern N.E. Also, a lot depends of what kind of weather we have. A dry fall and the colors won't be as spectular but wet fall, the leave drop before they reach peak. So, it is very hard to get the ideal for maxium color.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 10/18/06 at 9:00 pm

I thought i asked for maple candy like...pages ago!
:)

Written By: Howard on 10/18/06 at 10:34 pm

How's the temperature there now?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/18/06 at 10:36 pm

How's the temperature there now?

It's in the 50s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/06 at 12:58 pm

I thought i asked for maple candy like...pages ago!
:)

You did? If you are real nice, I'll bring some to Philly in June.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 9:16 pm

What's your favorite season in Vermont, and when is the best time to visit?  I've never been there myself...I've only been to Massachusetts.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/04/07 at 12:38 pm

Have you ever been to Fort Ticonderoga?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/07 at 1:03 pm

What's your favorite season in Vermont, and when is the best time to visit?  I've never been there myself...I've only been to Massachusetts.

I'm sorry Quirk, I don't know how I missed your question so long ago.  :-
Have you ever been to Fort Ticonderoga?

Actually, I haven't but we usually anchor our boat just off the Fort in Lake Champlain and we often hear the drums and other noises from the Fort. I have seen the Fort so many times from the lake but never from the inside.  But I have been to the Mount Independence which is on the Vermont side of the lake. There used to be a foot bridge connecting the two during the Revolution. (The pilings are still at the bottom of the lake and the fishies love it-great fishing right over those pilings. ;D )

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/15/07 at 2:49 am

Why did Vermont break away from New York?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/07 at 2:48 pm

Why did Vermont break away from New York?

Wouldn't you?  :D ;D ;D

Actually, Vermont was part of New York, New Hampshire & (as Chucky pointed out to me), Mass.  Mass. lost the land they claimed early on. There was a dispute over the land & taxes between NY & NH & NH was granted much of the land by King George III. Then when the Revolution broke out, Vermonters decided to declare their own independence-not just from England but also from NY & NH as well. The Republic of Vermont was born Jan. of 1777. It wasn't until 1791 that Vermont became part of the Union as the 14th state.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 07/16/07 at 7:04 pm

Wouldn't you?  :D ;D ;D

Actually, Vermont was part of New York, New Hampshire & (as Chucky pointed out to me), Mass.  Mass. lost the land they claimed early on. There was a dispute over the land & taxes between NY & NH & NH was granted much of the land by King George III. Then when the Revolution broke out, Vermonters decided to declare their own independence-not just from England but also from NY & NH as well. The Republic of Vermont was born Jan. of 1777. It wasn't until 1791 that Vermont became part of the Union as the 14th state.

Cat

In 2004, 8% of Vermonters supported seccession from the United States. In 2005 the number jumped to 13%, in just one year. Do you think this trend will continue? Why or why not? Do you feel sympathetic to this movement?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/07 at 11:46 am

In 2004, 8% of Vermonters supported seccession from the United States. In 2005 the number jumped to 13%, in just one year. Do you think this trend will continue? Why or why not? Do you feel sympathetic to this movement?

I admit that in 2004, the idea sounded good to me.  ;) But, I don't think it is going to fly. Vermont wouldn't be able to support itself. People already complain about taxes being too high and if we did away with the $$$$$$ we get from the Federal Government, we would be hurting. There is a movement to have Vermont join Canada which would make better sense than to become an independent nation, however, I think there are too many people here who are loyal to the U.S. Personally, I'm not too sure how I would feel about Vermont becoming part of Canada. I love Canada and think it is a great nation but I get my income from the U.S. Government and I'm not too sure how that would play out. And I'm sure there are other vets in the same situation I am in here in the state.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 07/19/07 at 9:15 pm

I admit that in 2004, the idea sounded good to me.  ;) But, I don't think it is going to fly. Vermont wouldn't be able to support itself. People already complain about taxes being too high and if we did away with the $$$$$$ we get from the Federal Government, we would be hurting. There is a movement to have Vermont join Canada which would make better sense than to become an independent nation, however, I think there are too many people here who are loyal to the U.S. Personally, I'm not too sure how I would feel about Vermont becoming part of Canada. I love Canada and think it is a great nation but I get my income from the U.S. Government and I'm not too sure how that would play out. And I'm sure there are other vets in the same situation I am in here in the state.

Cat

I think you're right. But you know, Vermont could easily have been part of Canada. During the time between Vermont's independence from New Hampshire and New York and their entry into the United States (a 14 year period I believe), Ethan Allen met with the Governer of Canada to discuss union with British North America because he wanted VT to have military protection. Obviously this didn't pan out. But I think Vermont is the coolest state by far. So much culture and history. And the Maple syrup ain't too bad either. Although I'd have to call it 2nd best  ;).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/07 at 10:53 am

I think you're right. But you know, Vermont could easily have been part of Canada. During the time between Vermont's independence from New Hampshire and New York and their entry into the United States (a 14 year period I believe), Ethan Allen met with the Governer of Canada to discuss union with British North America because he wanted VT to have military protection. Obviously this didn't pan out. But I think Vermont is the coolest state by far. So much culture and history. And the Maple syrup ain't too bad either. Although I'd have to call it 2nd best  ;).

My ancestors originally settled in Canada-or so they thought. There was a border dispute between Canada & Vermont and they wound up being Vermonters by default (and didn't have to move). That was in the St. Aubins area.

Cat

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/24/07 at 9:54 pm

Cat, I once heard you didn't have to have car insurance up in Vermont -- is that so?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/07 at 11:19 am

Cat, I once heard you didn't have to have car insurance up in Vermont -- is that so?

I'm not too sure where you heard that but it is not true. That may have been true a while ago but insurance has been required since I moved here back in 1990.

Check this out. http://www.iii.org/individuals/auto/a/stateautolaws/  You can see that Vermont requires more insurance than many other states do.

Cat

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 07/25/07 at 2:05 pm

I'm not too sure where you heard that but it is not true. That may have been true a while ago but insurance has been required since I moved here back in 1990.

Check this out. http://www.iii.org/individuals/auto/a/stateautolaws/  You can see that Vermont requires more insurance than many other states do.

Cat

I heard it sometime in the 90's.  Obviously it's not so anymore.

That was an interesting chart you posted.  Many of the posted fines in NY, tho, carry like a 100% surcharge -- at least in the city.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/09 at 2:18 pm

Ok, I decided to bump this thread up because...well, I WANT to. lol.

Besides, I don't think a lot of newer people around here are aware that this thread exist so here ya go.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 1:38 am

Having grown up in Montreal, I've been to Vermont a few times. Been to Ben & Jerry's, the Von Trapp family house near Stowe and also the best "pioneer times" theme park ever just south of Burlington I believe.

Did you ever go to "Santa Claus North Pole workshop"  or "Frontier town" ? (which were both in NY state, but fairly close to the Vermont border.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/09 at 11:59 am

Having grown up in Montreal, I've been to Vermont a few times. Been to Ben & Jerry's, the Von Trapp family house near Stowe and also the best "pioneer times" theme park ever just south of Burlington I believe.

Did you ever go to "Santa Claus North Pole workshop"  or "Frontier town" ? (which were both in NY state, but fairly close to the Vermont border.)

I have been to the North Pole when I was VERY young but don't remember it too well, just remember being there. I don't recall ever going to Frontier Town but it is now closed-and a few years ago, the buildings & such were sold at auction.

In Lake George, NY (just about 1/2 hour drive from here), there used to be a place called Storytown U.S.A. We used to go when I was a kid. Now Storytown is part of the Great Escape-part of the Six Flags parks. There also used to be Gaslight Village also in Lake George that we used to go when I was a kid but unfortunately, that is no more.

There is Santa Land in Putney Vermont. Been there. The last time was about 15 years ago when the guy I was dating took his young daughter there.

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/11/09 at 5:16 pm

I have been to the North Pole when I was VERY young but don't remember it too well, just remember being there. I don't recall ever going to Frontier Town but it is now closed-and a few years ago, the buildings & such were sold at auction.

In Lake George, NY (just about 1/2 hour drive from here), there used to be a place called Storytown U.S.A. We used to go when I was a kid. Now Storytown is part of the Great Escape-part of the Six Flags parks. There also used to be Gaslight Village also in Lake George that we used to go when I was a kid but unfortunately, that is no more.

There is Santa Land in Putney Vermont. Been there. The last time was about 15 years ago when the guy I was dating took his young daughter there.

Cat

Yes, I think I've been to storytown as well, but I remember Frontier town more. It was fun wearing a cowboy hat and carryring a (toy) gun back then and runnngn around the neighborhood playing cowboy with lots of friends. I don't think kids can do that on the streets anymore. Might get arrested.

Written By: Frank on 04/24/09 at 1:47 am

One of the best places I've been to:  Shelburne Museum

http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/

If you like Pioneer times and enjoy that part of history, it's a great place to visit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/09 at 12:07 pm

One of the best places I've been to:  Shelburne Museum

http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/

If you like Pioneer times and enjoy that part of history, it's a great place to visit.

Never been-but been by it several times. (Carlos' son works right across the street from it).

My problem with the Shelburne Museum is the price (just realized on the link you gave that prices for Vermont residence aren't too bad). Shelburne is one of those places that think they are SOOOOO much better than anyone else-I joke about everyone having their noses up in the air. (We had a very unpleasant experience with the Shelburne Shipyard but that is another story).

Electra Havemeyer Webb, the museum's founder, was related to the Vanderbelt clan somehow. (The same clan as Gloria & Cornelius).

Cat 

Written By: Frank on 04/24/09 at 12:27 pm

Never been-but been by it several times. (Carlos' son works right across the street from it).

My problem with the Shelburne Museum is the price (just realized on the link you gave that prices for Vermont residence aren't too bad). Shelburne is one of those places that think they are SOOOOO much better than anyone else-I joke about everyone having their noses up in the air. (We had a very unpleasant experience with the Shelburne Shipyard but that is another story).

Electra Havemeyer Webb, the museum's founder, was related to the Vanderbelt clan somehow. (The same clan as Gloria & Cornelius).

Cat 

It's really a nice place, and at $20, which isn't that bad for what you see, and it's educational too. NHL playoff tickets here are $100 each (which isn't worth it)  The zoo near our area (which isn't big) is about the same price as the Shelburne museum, and so is the Toronto zoo.

I guess for a tourist (me) who hasn't seen anything like that before, I was quite impressed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/09 at 12:35 pm

It's really a nice place, and at $20, which isn't that bad for what you see, and it's educational too. NHL playoff tickets here are $100 each (which isn't worth it)  The zoo near our area (which isn't big) is about the same price as the Shelburne museum, and so is the Toronto zoo.

I guess for a tourist (me) who hasn't seen anything like that before, I was quite impressed.

It's just that Vermont has a fairly low cost of living. We just feel that some places are just too high priced for the area (like the Flynn Theatre in Burlington).

Cat

Written By: Frank on 04/24/09 at 12:41 pm

It's just that Vermont has a fairly low cost of living. We just feel that some places are just too high priced for the area (like the Flynn Theatre in Burlington).

Cat

I understand now.
Living in the Vancouver area, the average price for a house is about $500,000 (I'll never be able to afford one here!) and the cost of living is high. A montly bus pass here is over $100 a month.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/04/10 at 11:11 pm

Do you hear a lot of New York lingo and accents in Vermont?

Do people say pocketbook (NY) or purse?

Is it common to hear the phrase "I went over her house the other day."? (NY)

Do people say parkway (NY) or freeway?

How do you pronounce orange?  Does the first syllable sound like "ore" or "are"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/10 at 11:46 am

Do you hear a lot of New York lingo and accents in Vermont?

I, like so many others here in Vermont, am originally from New "Yowk" so the lingo & accents are quite common-and the fact that where I am sitting right now is only about 2 miles from the New York State border. One time Carlos & I went to visit some friends of ours who were living in Poughkeepsie, NY at the time. We brought Carlos' youngest daughter with us. I made a comment about their dog and his daughter looked at me and said, "'Cat', you are getting a New York accent." I looked at her and said, "Getting? Where have you been?" I have heard people who's accent was MUCH stronger than mine. It is quite common. Many people who live here are originally from some place else. Carlos is originally from New Jersey. He grew up closer to NYC than I did but my accent is much stronger than his is. I don't get that. There is also a Vermont accent is sounds very New Englandy-meaning sort of like a Boston/Maine but not as strong.

Do people say pocketbook (NY) or purse?

I haven't heard the term "pocketbook" in a long time. I thought that term was passé. I say purse-as do most people I know.

Is it common to hear the phrase "I went over her house the other day."? (NY)

I never really paid any attention to tell you the truth. I think most people say, "I went over TO her house the other day."

Do people say parkway (NY) or freeway?

Neither. We say the highway. When I was in NY, I think people were saying "parkway" as to specific roads. i.e. Taconic Parkway or the Palisades Parkway. 

How do you pronounce orange?  Does the first syllable sound like "ore" or "are"?

I pronounce it "ore" but remember, I still have my New "Yowk" accent.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 09/05/10 at 1:07 pm

I have completely lost my NY accent.  I can't even do it right anymore if I try.  It's funny though, because if I am talking to someone who has one, it starts to come back a little bit, but only for that conversation and then it's gone again.

I'll have to ask Howard about "pocketbook".  Everyone used that term in NY when I was there, and just after i moved to California in 1984, I asked my cousin "Whose pocketbook is that??" and she was looking around, thinking I meant an actual book.  Nobody seemed to know what that was here.

Some of the accent and terminology, I think is specific to NYC.  Even Brooklyn has a little different accent of its own.  When we used to go upstate, there was a definite difference from NYC.  I think it may have just been NYC with the "over her house" thing.  :)

A while back I saw a license plate frame that said "Fawma New Yawka", I thought that was cute!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/10 at 1:22 pm

I have completely lost my NY accent.  I can't even do it right anymore if I try.  It's funny though, because if I am talking to someone who has one, it starts to come back a little bit, but only for that conversation and then it's gone again.

I'll have to ask Howard about "pocketbook".   Everyone used that term in NY when I was there, and just after i moved to California in 1984, I asked my cousin "Whose pocketbook is that??" and she was looking around, thinking I meant an actual book.  Nobody seemed to know what that was here.

Some of the accent and terminology, I think is specific to NYC.  Even Brooklyn has a little different accent of its own.  When we used to go upstate, there was a definite difference from NYC.  I think it may have just been NYC with the "over her house" thing.  :)

A while back I saw a license plate frame that said "Fawma New Yawka", I thought that was cute!

I really hate when people TRY to do a New York accent who really don't get it. They try to say New "Yak" (pronounce "ah" like you say in the doc's office) rather than an "awe" sound. I just want to say, "Give it up, kid." To be fair, I once heard someone try to do a British accent who just didn't get it either and it made me cringe. I can't do an British accent myself and I am well aware so I don't try. (Unless it is a line from Monty Python or something that I can mimic.  :D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 09/05/10 at 2:14 pm

I really hate when people TRY to do a New York accent who really don't get it. They try to say New "Yak" (pronounce "ah" like you say in the doc's office) rather than an "awe" sound. I just want to say, "Give it up, kid." To be fair, I once heard someone try to do a British accent who just didn't get it either and it made me cringe. I can't do an British accent myself and I am well aware so I don't try. (Unless it is a line from Monty Python or something that I can mimic.  :D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

YES I hate that too!!!  Or they try to "aw" the words that aren't supposed to be "aw'd"... like they think that because talk is "tawk", that clock would be "clawk"... and it isn't!!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/11 at 5:45 pm

http://rutlandherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83452358f69e201539126c475970b-pi

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/30/11 at 6:25 pm

I know it's early days after Hurricane Irene visited, but heard anything about whether they will try to rebuild the covered bridges or just put in ugly concrete bridges?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/11 at 10:59 am

I know it's early days after Hurricane Irene visited, but heard anything about whether they will try to rebuild the covered bridges or just put in ugly concrete bridges?

That one historic bridge in Rockingham (the one they keep showing on the news being wiped out) had a $1 million insurance policy on it. There's already talk about making it an identical reproduction.

By SUSAN SMALLHEER
Staff Writer - Published: August 31, 2011

ROCKINGHAM — The town of Rockingham has a $1 million insurance policy on the historic Bartonsville Covered Bridge, which was swept off its abutments during flooding Sunday.

People are already working to make sure the historic bridge is replaced with an accurate replacement, said Select Board member Ann DiBernardo, who lived in Lower Bartonsville village for years.

The 1870 bridge floated down the raging Williams River for a short distance, said Marvie Campbell, who lives next to the bridge and who saw it disappear down the river.

Campbell said the sides of the bridge were now resting in a field down river, but that other parts of the bridge, including the roof and stringers, either crashed into the Worall Covered Bridge about a half mile down river, or piled up in debris nearby.

Thomas MacPhee, chairman of the Select Board, said the Worall Bridge, which had undergone about $1 million in renovations in 2010, came through the flooding fine, with some minor damage. But the roads leading up to the bridge were washed out, he said.

He said the town’s insurance policy was with the Vermont League of Cities and Towns.

Rockingham had three town-owned covered bridges, and one private one at the Vermont Country Store. MacPhee said that the Hall Covered Bridge over the Saxtons River survived the flood, but was closed and being assessed for damage. The Hall bridge is a replica of the original covered bridge, which fell into the Saxtons River in October 1980 due to an overloaded truck.

While the Vermont Society of Covered Bridges reported the Kidder Covered Bridge in Grafton had been swept away by flooding on the Saxtons River, Grafton town officials said Tuesday the bridge was still standing. The roads leading to it are washed out, said Town Moderator Bill Kearns.

http://rutlandherald.com/article/20110831/NEWS02/708319899/1003/NEWS02

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/11 at 11:13 am

Another update about one of the bridges:

By SUSAN SMALLHEER
Staff Writer - Published: September 1, 2011

LOWER BARTONSVILLE — It’s 362,265 hits and climbing.

The video of the disappearance of the Bartonsville Covered Bridge into the raging waters of the Williams River Sunday has become the icon of the destruction of Tropical Storm Irene in Vermont with hundreds of thousands of hits on YouTube.

Susan Hammond, a native of the small village of Lower Bartonsville, was watching the river lap threateningly against the bridge all afternoon when she made the short, 20-second video that has played on all major national television networks and attracted tributes from writers in California and even The New Yorker’s John Seabrook, who wrote “Requiem for a Covered Bridge.”

The Weather Channel’s Jim Cantore even broadcast live from the bridge’s abutments Monday night.

Hammond said that village residents were heartbroken about the loss of their bridge. There are 25 homes in the village, and they are still without electric power or telephone service, but they are already focused on replacing their beautiful bridge.

Sunday afternoon, about 4:30 p.m., Hammond said, the bridge started making awful creaking noises. Using her flip camera, she said she furiously started deleting old videos from the camera, so she would have enough space to film what she feared would be the destruction of the bridge.

Her instincts were right. Hammond caught the bridge falling off its western abutment and then gracefully slipping into the river.

Hammond, the director of the War Legacies Project, moved back to Lower Bartonsville five years ago after living for years in Asia and New York City. The War Legacies Project is a nonprofit group devoted to Vietnam War era issues, such as the long-term effects of Agent Orange.

She said the covered bridge is all about pride, history and community, she said, and the culture of Vermont.

People who say “it’s only a bridge” don’t recognize that, she said. “It’s the culture of Vermont.”

Hammond, the daughter of former Chester Town Manager Prentice Hammond, was one of eight children in the Hammond family to grow up in Bartonsville.

On Tuesday night, Hammond and other residents of Lower Bartonsville attended a joint meeting of the Rockingham Select Board and the Bellows Falls Village Trustees to talk about what the town can do.

The town has already set up a fund for donations. While the town has a $1 million insurance policy on the Bartonsville bridge, that is far from enough to replace the bridge, town officials said.

Plus, said Town Manager Timothy Cullenen, the insurance policy only covers the wood structure, and not the abutment damage or repairs that will be necessary.

Cullenen told the board the town’s two other bridges, the Worral Bridge and the Hall Bridge, both sustained significant damage. The Worall Bridge will have to be rebuilt, he said.

Hammond and fellow Lower Bartonsville resident Anna Dewdney, a children’s book author, were quickly appointment co-chairwomen of the committee.

Both Hammond and Dewdney said that village residents were willing to mount a large fundraising effort to rebuild the bridge as it was.

The two women said the village wanted a single-lane covered bridge, not a two-lane modern bridge made to look like a covered bridge.

Since the bridge floated away, its remains have been found downstream, and Hammond urged the Rockingham board to protect the remains and to keep scavengers at bay.

The nameplate signs on the bridge haven’t been found, although there are rumors that someone had found them, said Select Board Chairman Thomas MacPhee, who said that if anyone had the signs, they should return them to the town.

Hammond said she blocked comments on her original posting on YouTube because of nasty comments about the bridge and the reaction to its loss. One person even suggested burning down all covered bridges, she said.

“Even people who are struggling have a sense of community,” she said.

The bridge had survived serious damage in the past, Hammond said.

In the 1960s, a local man drove a town gravel truck across the bridge, breaking out the bridge’s floor. And a delivery truck broke some of the bridge’s beams a few years ago, requiring several months of repairs.

The 1870 bridge actually replaced an earlier covered bridge located upstream, near Hammond’s home.

Cullenen said that interest in the bridge was intense. “I receive six calls from different contractors offering to start work tomorrow,” said Cullenen, who said the town now faced a planning process.

The town of Rockingham has set up a special fund to collect donations to replace the covered bridge. Information about the fund can be found at the town’s website: www.rockbf.org.

Hammond said the town would be adding a feature to accept donations via credit cards.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20110901/NEWS02/709019918/1003/NEWS02

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/11 at 6:28 pm

How are road and residential repairs coming along in Vermont since the Hurricane?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/22/11 at 6:29 pm

What's a good brand of Maple Syrup?  I heard you should look for Grade B or something like that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/11 at 5:53 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. Haven't checked this section for a while.  :-
How are road and residential repairs coming along in Vermont since the Hurricane?

They are actually coming along pretty quickly. There was a conversation because NJ gov Chris Christie & VT gov Peter Shumlin after the storm. When asked how it was going, Chris said, "Slow, slow." Peter said, "Fast, fast. Where people in your state have BMWs & Mercedes in their yards, people in MY state have back hoes & tractors." Pretty much all the roads are now opened. They are still working on replacing some of the covered bridges that were wiped out.

What's a good brand of Maple Syrup?  I heard you should look for Grade B or something like that.

It isn't a matter of "brand" with maple syrup-unlike with the fake stuff that they try to pass off as maple syrup like Log Cabin, Vermont Maid, etc. etc.

With REAL syrup, it goes by the grade-and yes, Grade B is definitely the best. Actually, Grade B one of the best kept secrets of Vermonters. You have your flatlanders tourists come in and they think that Grade A MUST be the best.

Why is it the best? Because it cooks longer-therefore it becomes darker and has more flavor.

http://vtmapleproducts.com/maplesyrup/maplegrades1.jpg

Any REAL syrup is not cheap-but well worth it IMO. We buy it by the gallon-which is about $30-$35. But that gallon usually lasts us about a year-sometimes a little less. It is not just for pancakes at our house. We use it in cooking all the time like with pork chops, some concoctions that the "chef" will whip up, etc. etc. Carlos loves it on vanilla ice cream. 

http://www.vermontmaple.org/cooking.php

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/11 at 6:12 pm

I forgot to mention that maple syrup will raise your blood sugar because it is basically pure sugar.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/12/11 at 7:36 pm

I forgot to mention that maple syrup will raise your blood sugar because it is basically pure sugar.

Cat

So can you have waffles with butter and without the syrup?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/13/11 at 11:15 am

Huh? I don't know what this question has to do with the fact that maple syrup raises the blood sugar.

Personally, I don't like waffles so I don't eat them-but if I did, I definitely wouldn't eat them without syrup. 

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/11 at 3:04 pm

In case anyone is wondering about my avatar and where it came from.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20111222/FEATURES17/712229965

“It was a dark and stormy night ... in fact, literally it was a dark and stormy night,” said Eric Mallette, explaining the birth of the “I Am Vermont Strong” campaign in response to Aug. 28’s Tropical Storm Irene. But, in fact it was the next day that this idea that came to represent Vermonters’ powerful response to Irene all began.

“That day we were going around, seeing all the tragedy that had happened, all the destruction,” added Lyz Tomsuden, Mallette’s girlfriend. “It made it very real for us both.”

These two young people were also riveted to Facebook, following Vermont’s response to the flooding.

“We realized that the majority of the news at that moment that was going out into the blogosphere — be it a from a Vermonter or a Floridian — all the news was bad news,” Mallette said. “I was uncomfortable with the idea that people were rallying around something negative. That’s not how we are as Vermonters.”

They decided to do something about it — and it turns out that they were the right people to do it, creative types. Mallette is programming director of Rutland’s Paramount Theatre and Tomsuden is a graphic designer at the Rutland Herald.

“I turned to Lyz and I said ‘You know what we should do? Wouldn’t it be fun if we built a photo or some kind of image that people could rally around in a positive light?’” Mallette said. “We’ll post it as a profile picture on Facebook, and we’ll see if we can make our friends change their photos.”

“We wanted to create something so that people could come together,” Tomsuden said.

They batted ideas around and came up with the slogan “Vermont Strong.”

“It was cool,” Mallette said. “It had a nice ring to it. We had ones before that that were similar but not as good. We looked at ‘Vermont Tough’, but it seemed a little bit harsh.”

Tomsuden went off and created the graphic, with the black Vermont map silhouetted against a green background.

“She did it with absolutely zero input from me,” Mallette said. “What you see is more or less what she built the first time — it was a moment of genius, it was sweet and simple and crisp and clean.”

But all it said, was “Vermont Strong,” and the two were concerned that it didn’t sound very personal.

“Of course the easiest way to personalize something is to say ‘I am,’” Mallette said.

“That’s why it looks like handwriting,” Tomsuden said, adding, “We did think about ‘We are’ but we went with ‘I am’ because every individual is part of the whole group of Vermont strong.”

It was 10:30 at night, the two had made the new graphic their Facebook profile pictures, and they called it a night.

“We woke up the next morning and my phone had probably 35 messages saying that was very cool,” Mallette said. “Do you mind if I use it as a profile picture?”

That evening, Mallette received an email stating that if they put the logo on a T-shirt, the sender would buy it. That was the first time the idea occurred to them.

“Then the emails began to pour in,” Mallette said. “It was to the point that Facebook was a sea of green. Everybody was using it as their profile picture, talking about it and blogging about it.”

At that point Tomsuden suggested raising funds with money from T-shirts.

“She said it’s not something we have the right to say no to, we have to do this,” Mallette said.

“It was kind of an easy way for people to help,” Tomsuden said.

Or so she thought. On the first night, the number of T-shirts ordered on the website Mallette created nearly broke 100. By the next morning, it was more than 250. In two weeks, they had 1,000 orders.

“I Am Vermont Strong” eventually had more than 10,000 fans on Facebook throughout the United States and the world.

“I think we’re up to 18 countries that we’ve delivered T-shirts to or otherwise had contact with,” Mallette said.

They attempted to package the T-shirts in their living rooms, but that wasn’t going to work. So they rented the stage of the Paramount and some 30 volunteers spent a full week packing 3,800 shirts.

“People were more than willing to help us,” Tomsuden said.

“I never knew what 4,000 T-shirts looked like before,” Mallette said. “It’s a really, really big pile.”

In fact, the T-shirt operation became so overwhelming that they turned it over to Selfless Tee, a San Francisco firm that specializes in facilitating causes like this.

“I wanted to keep it local,” Mallette said. “But I needed to hand it off to somebody who knew 150 percent what they were doing.”

Through Selfless Tee, another 1,200 T-shirts have been sold from mid-October to Dec. 7.

“We’ll sell them as long as Selfless Tee continues,” Mallette said.

And then came the question of what to do with the money. Tomsuden and Mallette researched various Vermont support organizations, and found one that not only would reach a lot of Vermonters in need, but one that spent less than 20 percent on administration.

“When the money started climbing, we made an announcement. The money would go to the Vermont Foodbank,” Mallette said. “I wanted the impact of the money to be statewide - that was very important to both Lyz and I.”

At the end of October, the they were able to deliver a check for $60,000 to the Vermont Foodbank.

“T- shirt sales are continuing and all monies are going into an account,” Mallette said. “Annually we will be making contributions to the Vermont Foodbank and other organizations that help in times of need.”

“We had no idea,” Tomsuden added. “We were prepared for 100 T-shirts at most.”

@Tagline:jim.lowe@ rutlandherald.com

Cat

Written By: Henk on 12/22/11 at 4:00 pm

Huh? I don't know what this question has to do with the fact that maple syrup raises the blood sugar.

Cat

Not only that - the question also has nothing to do with Vermont! :D ;D ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/22/11 at 7:54 pm

Cat

yeah, that's what I thought, I can only have a little at a time.  I remember as a little girl, we'd make snocones (shaved ice for non-Americans).  We'd use maple syrup as a topping when nothing else was available.  yummy

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/13/12 at 7:41 pm

Is late September a good time for "leaf-peeping?"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/12 at 2:42 pm

Is late September a good time for "leaf-peeping?"

Yup! Peak can be anywhere from mid-September through mid-October depending where in the state you are-north/south, mountains, etc.

Cat

Written By: seamermar on 01/17/12 at 6:18 pm

In case anyone is wondering about my avatar and where it came from.

Cat

It has gone nearly a month fo me to read this your old post, and I see how  good comes from the worst.

We say " lo que no te mata te hace mas fuerte"  what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Now it seems you vermonters are stronger  ;)

...as usual....

Thanks for sharing Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/12 at 6:40 pm

It has gone nearly a month fo me to read this your old post, and I see how  good comes from the worst.

We say " lo que no te mata te hace mas fuerte"  what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Now it seems you vermonters are stronger  ;)

...as usual....

Thanks for sharing Cat

That is actually one of my personal mottos. It served me very well when I was going through the worst time of my life way back in the dark ages.

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/11/12 at 3:44 pm

Hi, I know this might be asking much, but 5 or 6 years ago..a few of us went on a trip and we took this photo. We can't remember where exactly it was, but we know it's either in New Hampshire or Vermont.

Even seen this hotel before and know where it is?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5148/5822741131_0d10b1e2de.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/12 at 4:26 pm

Hi, I know this might be asking much, but 5 or 6 years ago..a few of us went on a trip and we took this photo. We can't remember where exactly it was, but we know it's either in New Hampshire or Vermont.

Even seen this hotel before and know where it is?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5148/5822741131_0d10b1e2de.jpg

After some detective work, it is Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington/OurHistory.aspx

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/11/12 at 7:04 pm

After some detective work, it is Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire.

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BrettonWoodsMountWashington/OurHistory.aspx

Cat

Many thanks for this one. Karma +1. Have you been there or heard about the place before?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/12 at 10:51 am

Many thanks for this one. Karma +1. Have you been there or heard about the place before?

I don't think so and nope. We MAY have been there when I was very little but don't remember at all. We used to travel around A LOT when I was a kid but by the time I started to remember things, we stopped traveling as a family. 

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/12/12 at 3:47 pm

I don't think so and nope. We MAY have been there when I was very little but don't remember at all. We used to travel around A LOT when I was a kid but by the time I started to remember things, we stopped traveling as a family. 

Cat

The resort looks beaytiful. Lots of $ I'm sure to stay there. I guess if Romney stayed there, he'd call it "slumming".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/12 at 4:03 pm

The resort looks beaytiful. Lots of $ I'm sure to stay there. I guess if Romney stayed there, he'd call it "slumming".

Did a quick search. Had to go into Oct. since all the weekends in Sept were booked. But for a weekend night-it is $309 + a night-that doesn't include anything else. For a bed & breakfast, it is $349 a night. Then you get into golf packages, spa packages, romantic packages, etc. Top price I see is $618 + per night. During the week is cheaper-$229 + up to $538 +. (The + is for the size of the room-1 king, two queens, suite, etc. etc.)

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/12/12 at 4:10 pm

Did a quick search. Had to go into Oct. since all the weekends in Sept were booked. But for a weekend night-it is $309 + a night-that doesn't include anything else. For a bed & breakfast, it is $349 a night. Then you get into golf packages, spa packages, romantic packages, etc. Top price I see is $618 + per night. During the week is cheaper-$229 + up to $538 +. (The + is for the size of the room-1 king, two queens, suite, etc. etc.)

Cat

Yeah, I expected those prices. Way, way out of my "Motel 6 " price range.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/12 at 4:48 pm

Yeah, I expected those prices. Way, way out of my "Motel 6 " price range.  ;D

Funny you mentioned Motel 6 because when I was reading those prices to Carlos, I also mentioned Motel 6. Great minds?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/12/12 at 9:33 pm

Funny you mentioned Motel 6 because when I was reading those prices to Carlos, I also mentioned Motel 6. Great minds?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Motel 6. That's where I stayed at once in Burlington, Vermont.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/12 at 11:09 am

Motel 6. That's where I stayed at once in Burlington, Vermont.

Never stay in motels in Burlington because Carlos' kids live close to it-so we stay with them (and visit with a few of the grandkids).

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/14/12 at 1:32 pm

What is the most popular sport in Vermont? Football? Hockey? Other?

And is there one particular college team that the state rallies around?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/12 at 3:11 pm

What is the most popular sport in Vermont? Football? Hockey? Other?

And is there one particular college team that the state rallies around?

Skiing & hunting. Hockey is also big. 

As for teams, we have a Triple-A team that used to be called the Vermont Expos (which was the Triple-A of the Montreal Expos before they moved to Washington to become the Nationals). Now they are called the Vermont Lake Monsters (named after "Champ"-the Lake Champlain monster) and they are affiliated with the Oakland A's.

In terms of MLB, most people around here either root for the Yankees or root for the Red Sox. You can have a group of people in one room and 9 times out of ten half will be for one team. My step-son roots for the Sox while his wife roots for the Yankees.

Since I don't follow football, I think most people root for the Patriots.

In terms of college sports, most colleges have sports and usually people follow what they are closest to. The University of Vermont (UVM) is the biggest school in the state and I guess people follow those teams-probably their hockey team. But it was Middlebury College that started the Quidditch leagues found around the country now.  ;D ;D ;D

Racing is another sport that a lot of people around here like. We have a racetrack not too far from here.

Cat

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/12 at 6:41 pm

Have you always lived in Vermont?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/12 at 9:31 am

Have you always lived in Vermont?

Nope. I was born in & lived New York state for many years (and still have a bit of the accent to prove it). I have lived all over the place, Mass, Conn, Maryland (for a few months), Virginia (for one month), Oklahoma, Texas, and even in Greece. I moved to Vermont when I was in my late 20s and it was like coming home. After living so many places (and traveling to many more), I have no desire to live anywhere else.

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/17/13 at 12:26 pm

I've been to the Lake Champlain area a few times in my life, it's beautiful.

Do you spend much time there OR have you spent time there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/13 at 12:16 pm

I've been to the Lake Champlain area a few times in my life, it's beautiful.

Do you spend much time there OR have you spent time there?

That is where we sail the Big Dog (our sailboat). But, we usually sail in the southern end of the lake. There were only a couple of times we made it as far as Burlington or so. Our usually anchorage is just off of Mount Independence (Fort Ticonderoga on the New York side).

This is a sunset over Fort Ti-you can't really see the fort but it is behind those trees on the right of the pic.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/340.jpg

This is me on the Big Dog. We are south of where the first pic was taken. That is our home port straight ahead.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/080.jpg

Cat

Cat

Written By: warped on 01/18/13 at 12:54 pm

That is where we sail the Big Dog (our sailboat). But, we usually sail in the southern end of the lake. There were only a couple of times we made it as far as Burlington or so. Our usually anchorage is just off of Mount Independence (Fort Ticonderoga on the New York side).

This is a sunset over Fort Ti-you can't really see the fort but it is behind those trees on the right of the pic.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/340.jpg

This is me on the Big Dog. We are south of where the first pic was taken. That is our home port straight ahead.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r92/aandcsattic/family/080.jpg

Cat

Cat

Vermont is so amazing.
Drove by Fort Ticonderoga before, never been inside. I know this is a NY question, but have you & Carlos been there?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/13 at 1:00 pm

Vermont is so amazing.
Drove by Fort Ticonderoga before, never been inside. I know this is a NY question, but have you & Carlos been there?

Nope, not that I remember. I may have been as a kid but don't recall. Carlos has. I keep telling him that someday I would like to go.

And you are right about Vermont being totally amazing. I have lots of pics to prove it.  ;)

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/08/13 at 3:12 pm

Probably not the right thread for this, but how do you and Carlos feel about the possibility of statheood for Puerto Rico?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/13 at 6:46 pm

Probably not the right thread for this, but how do you and Carlos feel about the possibility of statheood for Puerto Rico?

We both are totally for it. In fact, most of Carlos' cousins are for it, too. Only one is for Puerto Rican independence. I heard one of his cousins say that if PR got it independence, she was moving to the states.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/13 at 10:03 pm

Is the Northeast Kingdom really a Kingdom?
:o

Written By: Howard on 02/09/13 at 7:01 am

Did Vermont get snow?  ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/09/13 at 8:13 am

Is the Northeast Kingdom really a Kingdom?
:o

Not really. Former Senator George Aiken coined the term, due to it's isolation and beauty.

Did Vermont get snow?  ???

Yes.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/09/13 at 6:55 pm

Not really. Former Senator George Aiken coined the term, due to it's isolation and beauty.

Yes.

Cat

Yes, but didn't they just elect Bernie king?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/09/13 at 10:59 pm

This isn't really a question.

If you are riding out that blizzard up North, I just hope you're alright and warm enough. I still can't beleive weather like that is happening when I'm down here in Texas with the fans going it's so warm. Wish I could send some of the warmth up North to you!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/13 at 7:52 am

This isn't really a question.

If you are riding out that blizzard up North, I just hope you're alright and warm enough. I still can't beleive weather like that is happening when I'm down here in Texas with the fans going it's so warm. Wish I could send some of the warmth up North to you!

Thank you but right now we are farther south than you are. We are in Puerto Rico at the moment. And as for snow, from what I have heard about this storm, Vermont has seen much worse. Connecticut got the brunt of this one.

This was our car in the Blizzard of 2006

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2101/2229051772_e26f816179.jpg

We are Vermont Strong so we can handle a bit of snow.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/10/13 at 7:45 pm

Thank you but right now we are farther south than you are. We are in Puerto Rico at the moment. And as for snow, from what I have heard about this storm, Vermont has seen much worse. Connecticut got the brunt of this one.

This was our car in the Blizzard of 2006

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2101/2229051772_e26f816179.jpg

We are Vermont Strong so we can handle a bit of snow.

Cat

holy smokes! Was your car ok?  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/10/13 at 9:15 pm

holy smokes! Was your car ok?  :o

Sure, we just fired the sucker up and used it to plow the driveway

Written By: Howard on 02/11/13 at 6:47 am

Sure, we just fired the sucker up and used it to plow the driveway

That looks like 3 feet? Am I right?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/13 at 8:21 am

That looks like 3 feet? Am I right?

Something like that. I can't remember. That was several years ago.

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/12/13 at 3:31 pm

Do you have weasels or ferrets in Vermont?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/13 at 10:25 am

Do you have weasels or ferrets in Vermont?

Yup-both the four legged kind as well as the two legged kind. I lost a friendship because of the two legged kind.

Cat

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/25/13 at 3:23 am

Like, Hi, CatwomanofV,

Do you like maple syrup?  Do you refuse to eat any maple syrup that doesn't come from Vermont?  Have you ever seen the Vermont-set Disney movie "Those Calloways", and, if you have seen that movie, do you feel that it accurately portrays Vermont, and/ or the people of Vermont?
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/13 at 7:24 pm

Like, Hi, CatwomanofV,

Do you like maple syrup?  Do you refuse to eat any maple syrup that doesn't come from Vermont?  Have you ever seen the Vermont-set Disney movie "Those Calloways", and, if you have seen that movie, do you feel that it accurately portrays Vermont, and/ or the people of Vermont?
8)

LOVE REAL maple syrup-not that fake stuff they try to pass off as maple syrup (corn syrup with maple flavoring) like Log Cabin.  8-P I will eat it if I must but it is just not the same. While I do prefer Vermont maple syrup, I will eat it if it comes from other states or Canada. I just believe in buying local and I like to support our local farmers. In fact, we usually buy from a farmer we know. And we usually buy Grade B if we can.

http://www.bens-maple-syrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grades-of-maple-syrup1.jpg

Never seen "Those Calloways" so I can't answer your question.

Cat

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/26/13 at 8:02 pm

Like, Hi, CatromanofV, Fer Shurr,

Those maple syrups look delish!
8)

LOVE REAL maple syrup-not that fake stuff they try to pass off as maple syrup (corn syrup with maple flavoring) like Log Cabin.  8-P I will eat it if I must but it is just not the same. While I do prefer Vermont maple syrup, I will eat it if it comes from other states or Canada. I just believe in buying local and I like to support our local farmers. In fact, we usually buy from a farmer we know. And we usually buy Grade B if we can.

http://www.bens-maple-syrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grades-of-maple-syrup1.jpg

Never seen "Those Calloways" so I can't answer your question.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/11/18 at 6:25 pm

I have decided to bump this thread up because I'm sure there are a lot of people who have joined since this thread got buried who might want to know a bit about this beautiful state that I call home. So, ask away.

Cat

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/24/18 at 9:21 pm

Thoughts on Bernie Sanders

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/26/18 at 12:30 pm

Thoughts on Bernie Sanders

Bernie is great. We have met him many, many times. He knows Carlos BY NAME. In fact when Bernie first ran for the House, Carlos had a check writing party for him-so Bernie came to the house (but it was before my time). His office has helped me PERSONALLY a few times.

There was one time we went to the opening of a V.A. clinic. He hugged me-not the other way around. This was taken when he first ran for the Senate.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26885.0;attach=21457;image

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 4:34 am

Bernie is great. We have met him many, many times. He knows Carlos BY NAME. In fact when Bernie first ran for the House, Carlos had a check writing party for him-so Bernie came to the house (but it was before my time). His office has helped me PERSONALLY a few times.

There was one time we went to the opening of a V.A. clinic. He hugged me-not the other way around. This was taken when he first ran for the Senate.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26885.0;attach=21457;image

Cat
O0

Looks to be a great friend to have?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/21 at 5:22 pm

Time to bump this thread again.

Ask away.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/22/21 at 9:45 pm

Can you talk about the fall colors and what time of year peak season is?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/24/21 at 6:05 pm

Can you talk about the fall colors and what time of year peak season is?

The peak is usually sometime in October. There are a lot of variables so there isn't one time. It depends on where you are in the state (north/south, mountain/valley). It also depends on the weather-if we have a warm fall or a cold fall. I have seen some bit of color as early as August. Other years, it is not until mid-Sept when I start to see things start to change.

Fall color is determined by the spring and summer. With ample rain, the leaves remain healthy and will contribute to the color as the trees start to shed their leaves. If there is a drought, the leaves will start to fall off before they lose the Chlorophyll and exposed the brilliant colors that lie under it. 

I took these back in 2016.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1943/45178682392_f1c89614e2.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1977/31354994568_3f536857f0.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1935/31354986798_99f20aa34b.jpg

And I didn't adjust the color. That is the way they came out of the camera.

Cat

Written By: kr37 on 08/24/21 at 8:19 pm

Have you seen any leaves start to change color yet this year in August?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/24/21 at 11:02 pm

...I took these back in 2016...

Cat

^^ Pretty pictures, Cat!    :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/21 at 1:43 pm

Have you seen any leaves start to change color yet this year in August?

Not this year. It has been too warm.

^^ Pretty pictures, Cat!    :)

Thanks. They are some of my favorite autumn pics that I have ever taken.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 08/30/21 at 3:10 pm

Beautiful 🍂 I would love to visit New England in the fall, Vermont included!

Check for new replies or respond here...