inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about the '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/21/06 at 7:02 am

Have fun! :)

BTW, I'll try and keep it to the point, especially for those who, say don't read that part of the board and/or don't have much interest in the "decade" type threads.

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about the '80s.

Written By: jackas on 04/25/06 at 6:38 pm

Do you have this shirt yet?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jackas000/flux.jpg

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/25/06 at 6:50 pm

How well can you remember 1989?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/25/06 at 9:35 pm

What happened in 1983? lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/06 at 9:41 pm

what was your favorite toy from the 80's?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/06 at 9:45 pm

If you could bring back one cartoon from the 80's, and be able to watch it anytime...what would it be and why?

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/25/06 at 9:55 pm

R.E.M. and "Weird Al" Yankovic both released their debut albums!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/26/06 at 9:57 am

R.E.M. and "Weird Al" Yankovic both released their debut albums!

Good!

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/06 at 1:00 am

What is your favourite soundtrack album of the 80's?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 1:02 am

Where is Marty McFly?  :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/06 at 7:52 am

he was just on the other day...for a short period of time though. :-\\

Written By: jackas on 04/28/06 at 8:01 am

1955 ::) :D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/28/06 at 1:11 pm

he was just on the other day...for a short period of time though. :-\\

I hope he hasn't left us ... he's one of my favorite posters.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/06 at 1:16 pm

I hope he hasn't left us ... he's one of my favorite posters.

he probably will be back soon...he has a tendency to drop in and out most of the time.....he had better not leave...he's one of my favorite buddies!! ;) :)

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/06 at 8:53 pm

1955 ::) :D

November 5, 1955

or maybe he's in the alternate Biff owned 1985 ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/29/06 at 12:28 am

What was 1980 like?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 12:36 am

A very strange sort of year...

John Lennon died, punk and New-waved clashed, I think Bob Marley died as well (the end of the Reggae craze)...

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/29/06 at 8:45 pm

A very strange sort of year...

John Lennon died, punk and New-waved clashed, I think Bob Marley died as well (the end of the Reggae craze)...

The first few popular new wave songs were in the late seventies...

Devo had a semi-hit with Mongoloid in '78, and The Buggles made "Video Killed the Radio Star" in '79.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/30/06 at 4:47 pm

The first few popular new wave songs were in the late seventies...

Devo had a semi-hit with Mongoloid in '78, and The Buggles made "Video Killed the Radio Star" in '79.

And Blondie, M, The Knack were all very big around 1979.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:37 pm

Hey, sorry for the wait -- I've been super busy, but now I can answer everything. :)
Do you have this shirt yet?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jackas000/flux.jpg

Nope, didn't know it existed ( ;) ) - I do have two BTTF shirts though, and a basic "Marty McFly" costume.

How well can you remember 1989?

Almost like it was yesterday. Of course at the age of 7 and 8, I wasn't going anywhere out on my own or anything (like I would start doing in, say 1995), but I remember it being filled with NES games. 2nd grade, and the last full year I lived in the North Bay (we moved to Sacramento in Oct '90). It was actually a pretty good time. :)

MTV becoming a household name/phenomenon, the first Vacation movie, Cabbage Patch dolls. Etc etc. :D

what was your favorite toy from the 80's?

I liked those circular pull toys with 10 or 12 places (i.e. Farmer Sounds -- "The cow says, mooooo", or "The horse says, "). I used to like pulling on the cord ever so lightly so it would change course.

For example: "The cow says"--YANK--"The pig goes"--"Meow". ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/30/06 at 11:38 pm

Can you remember the quintessential 1984 at all?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:41 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/30/06 at 11:41 pm

How well do you remember the '80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:45 pm

Can you remember the quintessential 1984 at all?

Perhaps one or two seconds, although I used to think I could remember it. For instance, as a kid (an older kid, like age 10 in 1991/92) many songs or personal experiences I thought were from 1984 or even '83 were actually from the first half of '85. Maybe because the house we lived in at the time, we moved from in October 1985 (BTTF 1's time :D ), so I used to get that whole era confused.

Written By: nally on 04/30/06 at 11:45 pm

I was wondering about that too! After all, he was in the single digits back then, just like me (I was born in '80, btw). All I remember from the eighties was my life as a little kid.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:47 pm

Very well. Although I wasn't an adult/teen, or even a 10 year old, I still have alot of memories. Of course, it's centered on two basic things (1) personal experiences - where we lived, vacations I took with my parents, houses we lived in, and (2) pop culture - NES games, songs on the radio, etc.

Although I learned/got interested in the more political/technical aspects of it later, say in the mid '90s when I was 12, 14 etc.

I recall 1988 and '89 perfectly. 1987 is mixed. But even though I'm a little hazy on late '81-86, I always loved it and was influenced by alot of it. After all, as a young kid, I didn't care if I was listening to "Every Breath You Take" in 1988 the way a 15 year old might have been more critical of it.

Written By: bbigd04 on 04/30/06 at 11:52 pm

Very well. Although I wasn't an adult/teen, or even a 10 year old, I still have alot of memories. Of course, it's centered on two basic things (1) personal experiences - where we lived, vacations I took with my parents, houses we lived in, and (2) pop culture - NES games, songs on the radio, etc.

Although I learned/got interested in the more political/technical aspects of it later, say in the mid '90s when I was 12, 14 etc.

Yea it's kinda that way with me and the '90s, though music is kinda of something I didn't pay attention to a lot in the '90s, so my memory of music is very spotty even towards the late '90s. I remember some of the artists, but I didn't listen to the music much. I kinda regret not paying much attention until 2001/2002 because I was definitely old enough in the late '90s, so now I look at the charts constantly, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/06 at 11:59 pm

Yea it's kinda that way with me and the '90s, though music is kinda of something I didn't pay attention to a lot in the '90s, so my memory of music is very spotty even towards the late '90s. I remember some of the artists, but I didn't listen to the music much. I kinda regret not paying much attention until 2001/2002 because I was definitely old enough in the late '90s, so now I look at the charts constantly, lol.

Well if it helps any, I'm the same way - I tend to like an era more once it's over. Even just the mundane, simple things I thought were no big deal at the time. Songs that I found average or even annoying in 2000, I really like now and wished I appreciated them more at the time (i.e. "The Way You Love Me" by Faith Hill or "Everything you Want" by Vertical Horizon). ;)

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 12:03 am

Like I said, I only remember my life as a youngster. I never knew a thing about pop culture until much later in my life. The 80`s to me is just my life as a little boy...up through the middle of my 4th grade year.

Hope you don't mind me cutting in and commentating, Marty. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 12:04 am

Well if it helps any, I'm the same way - I tend to like an era more once it's over. Even just the mundane, simple things I thought were no big deal at the time. Songs that I found average or even annoying in 2000, I really like now and wished I appreciated them more at the time (i.e. "The Way You Love Me" by Faith Hill or "Everything you Want" by Vertical Horizon). ;)

Yea I like those songs. I do remember a number of songs from 2000, mostly crap songs like "oops I did it again", "thong song", "who let the dogs out", oh yeah and nysnc's classic "bye bye bye", lol. What's your favorite '80s year?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/06 at 12:13 am

Like I said, I only remember my life as a youngster. I never knew a thing about pop culture until much later in my life. The 80`s to me is just my life as a little boy...up through the middle of my 4th grade year.

Hope you don't mind me cutting in and commentating, Marty. ;)

Nah, go ahead man. :)

Just wondering for curiousity's sake, were your parents for instance, not into TV shows or music when you were a kid (i.e. not letting you play NES games)? That could be a reason you don't remember alot from then (as I do, for instance, because mine were like that). Everyone's growing up experiences are a little different.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/01/06 at 12:16 am

Yea I like those songs. I do remember a number of songs from 2000, mostly crap songs like "oops I did it again", "thong song", "who let the dogs out", oh yeah and nysnc's classic "bye bye bye", lol. What's your favorite '80s year?

You know what, I just heard "Who Let the Dogs out" in the supermarket the other day and I couldn't believe I was actually liking it (although I wasn't about to start dancing in front of everyone ;D ) because I thought it was really stupid when it was new.

Favorite 80s year? Music--1984. Movies--1985 (for BTTF at least) ;). Video games--1987. Personal experiences--also '87.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 12:20 am

Just wondering for curiousity's sake, were your parents for instance, not into TV shows or music when you were a kid (i.e. not letting you play NES games)? That could be a reason you don't remember alot from then (as I do, for instance, because mine were like that). Everyone's growing up experiences are a little different.

I remember TV shows and movies pretty well from when I was a young kid, it was music that I pretty much ignored until my teen years, had nothing to do with my parents actually (they could care less really), I was just too busy playing around with my computer and my imaginary online business, lol. I was a crazy kid.

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 10:44 am

Mm, okay.

When I was a kid, I didn't really have much interest in Super NES and all that stuff. In fact, I don't think my folks could really afford that stuff anyway. I had lots of good toys to play with as a youngster, anyway; most of the time it was Legos.

With regards to music, I didn't know a whole lot of 80s songs during the 80s either. In fact, I don't think I knew more than 100 of them at the time they came out; now I know more than 500 of them (the bulk of which were "new" to me during the last ten years).

You're right; everyone's growing-up experiences are quite different. In fact, if I ever played video games as a young 'un, I probably did so at a friend's house...now that I think about it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/01/06 at 8:44 pm

Mm, okay.

When I was a kid, I didn't really have much interest in Super NES and all that stuff. In fact, I don't think my folks could really afford that stuff anyway. I had lots of good toys to play with as a youngster, anyway; most of the time it was Legos.

With regards to music, I didn't know a whole lot of 80s songs during the 80s either. In fact, I don't think I knew more than 100 of them at the time they came out; now I know more than 500 of them (the bulk of which were "new" to me during the last ten years).

You're right; everyone's growing-up experiences are quite different. In fact, if I ever played video games as a young 'un, I probably did so at a friend's house...now that I think about it.

I didn't play video games until I was like eleven, for the first time, at a friend's house.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:18 pm

I began my long love affair with video games in late 1994, when I first played Donkey Kong at my best friends house (I would go over there most everyday and trade basketball cards/ play basketball lol)...got a SNES in early-95 with the 'Mario Allstars' pack and played compulsively. Then I got DK2, DK3, a N64 in '97, a Gamecube in 2001, and a PSP last year. I've always played a whole lot of PC's games in that time.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 9:22 pm

I began my long love affair with video games in late 1994, when I first played Donkey Kong at my best friends house (I would go over there most everyday and trade basketball cards/ play basketball lol)...got a SNES in early-95 with the 'Mario Allstars' pack and played compulsively. Then I got DK2, DK3, a N64 in '97, a Gamecube in 2001, and a PSP last year. I've always played a whole lot of PC's games in that time.

Since you were around in the '90s more than me, did a lot of people still play NES, SNES, etc up to 1996/1997?  It seemed like Super Mario 3 was still a popular game, even then.

Written By: nally on 05/01/06 at 10:09 pm

I didn't play video games until I was like eleven, for the first time, at a friend's house.

The only video games I ever had at home were the ones for my Nintendo Game Boy, which I received for my 11th birthday, in '91.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/06 at 10:12 pm

my sister Brandy and I used to love to sit and play all of those old Nintendo games when we were younger.  We used to get SO excited when one of us would beat the Super Mario Bros. game...and we used to have competitions as to who would win or get ahead more in the game. :D :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/01/06 at 11:26 pm

my sister Brandy and I used to love to sit and play all of those old Nintendo games when we were younger.  We used to get SO excited when one of us would beat the Super Mario Bros. game...and we used to have competitions as to who would win or get ahead more in the game. :D :)

There's a third sister?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/01/06 at 11:35 pm

I first played video games in late 1992 when I got my SNES, since then I've had many many game systems, lol.

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/06 at 12:25 am

I first experienced Video Games in 1983.  We had a Commodore Vic-20, with like a dozen games.  Not the greatest games in the world, but hey I was 5 at the time ... the games were lights and colours .. all the things that fascinated me at that age :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/06 at 7:19 am

There's a third sister?

yep...I am the oldest (29), then Brandy (25), then Beth (soon to be 19).

Written By: nally on 05/02/06 at 11:36 am

yep...I am the oldest (29), then Brandy (25), then Beth (soon to be 19).

Wow...the middle one is the same age as me (at least for now)...I will be 26 in July.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/06 at 11:52 am

Wow...the middle one is the same age as me (at least for now)...I will be 26 in July.

cool! 8)  Yea, she turned 25 in January....our birthdays are about a week apart.

Written By: nally on 05/02/06 at 11:55 am

cool! 8)  Yea, she turned 25 in January....our birthdays are about a week apart.

which means she'd be about half a year younger than me! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/06 at 11:56 am

which means she'd be about half a year younger than me! ;)

yep! :)  She and I are both married...and Beth has been dating Justin for about a year.

Written By: nally on 05/02/06 at 11:59 am

yep! :)  She and I are both married...and Beth has been dating Justin for about a year.

That's cool. O0

I'm still single, though... I'm not in any major hurry at the moment.

Written By: _adam_ on 05/05/06 at 4:45 am

Your favorite movies of 80`s ?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 9:12 pm

What singing artist did you not like in the 80's..but you really like now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/06 at 6:31 pm

What singing artist did you not like in the 80's..but you really like now?

Only ones I hadn't heard of. :D I didn't become a fan of some '80s bands until the '90s, and I still discover individual songs now (which is always fun) on soundtrack albums, etc.

Let's see, some major "after the fact" ones:

Loverboy
MTV-era Rod Stewart
most hair bands (I only knew Bon Jovi and some other power ballads at the time)
Bryan Adams
Peter Cetera/'80s Chicago
Survivor
Journey
Cheap Trick
Ozzy Osbourne
Metallica (they're '80s in a way, although more commercial in the '90s)
John Cougar Mellencamp

As a rule, I've basically always stuck with things I'm into - not just with music. My tastes have only changed one way: liking new stuff. I've never stopped liking anything (no offense, but I always thought it was stupid when people did that), although my favorites rotate all the time.

Written By: woops on 12/16/06 at 3:12 am

Was the '80's the best or worst era in animation?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/19/06 at 9:29 pm

Was the '80's the best or worst era in animation?

That's more of an opinionated question.

For me, I thought it was about tied with the '90s - both were pretty good (even if the graphics weren't as advanced as now). Especially 1985+. Stuff like The Simpsons actually came out of the late '80s, even if it's associated with the '90s more. There's also videos like "Take On Me" and "Money For Nothing".

Written By: Howard on 12/19/06 at 9:37 pm

Remember 2XL? :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/19/06 at 9:42 pm

Remember 2XL? :)

Actually no. ;) What is it?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/06 at 9:48 pm

Actually no. ;) What is it?

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2xl.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...