inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about the music I've listened to recently

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/21/06 at 2:09 pm

http://chuckyg.com/playlist/

alot of the most recent stuff I've skipped through pretty quickly... hard to tell unless you look at the time stamps though

ask me what I think about it, what I know about the song/performer, etc.

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about the music I've listened to recently

Written By: nally on 04/22/06 at 2:57 am

I just clicked your link; I happened to notice a lot of current performers there (especially near the top). Do you have any favourites?

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/06 at 3:08 am

I notice I Wanna Go Back by Eddie Money in there.  Did you know that was a cover song?

A group called Billy Satellite wrote it, and took it to US #78 in 1984.  Eddie's version was the bigger hit though peaking at US #14 in 1986

http://montybyrom.com/images/albums/IWannaGoBack.jpg

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 3:19 am

Where do you get most of your music from?

I've currently got about 4,600 tracks...

Statistically, the following would be a break-up of the sources of that music;

About 60% ripped from Audio CD's
20% downloaded in MP3/WMA format
10% ripped from MP3-CD
10% from MSN, transferred from other ppl's collections

Written By: FaultyDog on 04/22/06 at 4:32 am

I was almost gonna stop when I read this:

4/21/2006 3:06:54 PM -=- Sean Paul, "Temperature"

... but when scrolling further down I also found Depeche Mode, which made up for things. There's alot I don't know or don't care for on your list.
I did notice a few songs (3) and/or artists (6) that I've used for my latest quiz.... ::)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/22/06 at 12:14 pm

Chucky with regard to downloading music to MP3'S or IPods - do you know if it's possible to access older 70'80's recordings for your player, I've always wondered if this is possible or is it just more modern stuff that is available?

Written By: nally on 04/22/06 at 6:31 pm

10% ripped from MP3-CD

Wow... I wish i got my music from sources like those. :-\\

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/22/06 at 7:48 pm

What is your favorite Aimee Mann album?

"Pretzel Logic" is a good album, no?

And will you ever get "Babylon and On" by Squeeze?

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:13 am

I just clicked your link; I happened to notice a lot of current performers there (especially near the top). Do you have any favourites?

of the current stuff I listened to Friday, not really. Most of that stuff plain out sucks.  It was all the new entries to the Billboard Hot 100 for 2006.  Check my thread on the 2000s board for my opinion on that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:14 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:17 am

10% ripped from MP3-CD

I own around 2000 CDs that I've ripped onto a single portable hard drive.  I have three other portable hard drives with stuff I've downloaded.  I have the complete Billboard Hot 100 from 1955-2006 (every track to ever chart), a ton of 80s stuff, and a lot of classic 70s rock.

I was trading via the mail (post office mail, not email) for about a year, and would send out a dozen or so discs and get a few dozen in exchange.  Quicker than P2P networks and better quality.  Since the baby came along though, I stopped working on builiding my 80s chart collections.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:19 am

I was almost gonna stop when I read this:

4/21/2006 3:06:54 PM -=- Sean Paul, "Temperature"

... but when scrolling further down I also found Depeche Mode, which made up for things. There's alot I don't know or don't care for on your list.
I did notice a few songs (3) and/or artists (6) that I've used for my latest quiz.... ::)

well, I only listened to that track for about 20 seconds:

4/21/2006 3:07:19 PM -=- Toby keith, "Get Drunk And Be Somebody"

and that track was about 10 seconds before I hit the skip button.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:20 am

Chucky with regard to downloading music to MP3'S or IPods - do you know if it's possible to access older 70'80's recordings for your player, I've always wondered if this is possible or is it just more modern stuff that is available?

Everything is available if you're willing to look outside of the iTunes store.  if you're sticking to the "legal" sources though, not so much.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 8:24 am

What is your favorite Aimee Mann album?

"Pretzel Logic" is a good album, no?

And will you ever get "Babylon and On" by Squeeze?

as much as I like Aimee Mann, I think I still prefer her 'Til Tuesday albums better than her solo work. I like Suzanne Vega better than Aimme Mann, but I think I have every album by both performers.

I like Pretzel Logic, and Can't Buy a Thrill too.. and Katy Lied... heck most eveything by Steely Dan.

I've got a Babylon and On by Squeeze, and a bunch of others.  I have about 7000 albums, and 130,000 mp3s.  I got way more than I really can listen to.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 04/24/06 at 10:22 am

Everything is available if you're willing to look outside of the iTunes store.  if you're sticking to the "legal" sources though, not so much.

Thanks very much for answering that, and sorry it was off topic. I'll definitely buy a MP3 player now, but I wish they were still manufacturing cassettes cos' my Panasonic Walkman is still like new despite being 12 yr old.

Written By: nally on 04/24/06 at 10:54 am

of the current stuff I listened to Friday, not really. Most of that stuff plain out sucks.  It was all the new entries to the Billboard Hot 100 for 2006.  Check my thread on the 2000s board for my opinion on that.

Will do! ;)

I don't really have a lot of "current" favourites, either. Except for a few leftovers from '05.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/24/06 at 11:26 am

Thanks very much for answering that, and sorry it was off topic. I'll definitely buy a MP3 player now, but I wish they were still manufacturing cassettes cos' my Panasonic Walkman is still like new despite being 12 yr old.

my advice is to buy the cheapest mp3 player you can.  an iPod screams, "steal me" and no matter what you buy, there will be something with more capacity and cheaper within six months.

I converted all my CDs to mp3, but if you're dealing with cassettes, that's more work. I did convert a bunch of cassettes recently, but never got around to spliting up the tracks and burning them.  Free time seems to be something I never have anymore (hence the lack of inthe00s t-shirts still... ugh)

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/06 at 8:59 pm

I did actually.I have an mp3 of it in my Billboard collection.

What's more interesting to hear about Eddie Money, is the original version of Two Tickets to Paradise.  The album edit is significantly different than the 45 single edit.

I have a Billboard mp3 collection also.  Actually, mine is complete ... I have every song that peaked in the Billboard Hot 100 of the 80's (4126 songs if I counted correctly LOL)

The album version of Two Tickets to Paradise is longer.  I prefer it as a short version in the single edit

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/02/06 at 9:15 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: annimal on 10/15/18 at 4:52 pm

What have you heard recently?

Written By: annimal on 01/26/19 at 10:34 pm

guess the answer is nothing

Check for new replies or respond here...