inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me things!

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/06 at 9:39 pm

I suppose I could go in for this "being asked things" trip. I will be around as often as possible to answer any questions you have about me. Come on... I know you wonder.. ask me anything about anything, so long as I know the answer.

Subject: Re: Though I'm not around exceptionally often...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/21/06 at 9:40 pm

Hi Bobo...

I don't really know you....but, how long have you belonged to this forum?

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/06 at 9:46 pm

Hang on... I started visiting this site... while I was... around 15. I may have been 14, but...

So that would be around 5/6 years that I've been around, though I haven't contributed consistently ever since, taking breaks here and there...

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 10:14 pm

Hang on... I started visiting this site... while I was... around 15. I may have been 14, but...

So that would be around 5/6 years that I've been around, though I haven't contributed consistently ever since, taking breaks here and there...

Which brings me to the next question ... why do you mostly lurk and not post?

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/06 at 10:17 pm

I lurk because I miss you guys. I dig still being able to have the connection to the friends I've accumulated over this time and if I wasn't around as much I wouldn't be able to feel that you guys were there.

I don't post as often because I'm on Wikipedia a lot, having acquired administratorship last month. I'm also around on other sites quite a bit, contributing my vast knowledge of useless anything.

Written By: Apricot on 04/21/06 at 10:24 pm

Ah, you're an Admin. on Wikipedia..

Why was the article on "ghey" deleted? So people know what ghey actually is..

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/06 at 10:30 pm

Well, probably because it had a speedy deletion tag applied to it.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/06 at 10:35 pm

I have a question about wikipedia ...

How come some wikipedia articles are not defined in Google?

Written By: Bobo on 04/21/06 at 10:42 pm

Google, eh? I can only assume that some revisions of Wikipedia articles haven't reached Google before they update their data. Even the Wikipedia search isn't completely live and as-it-happens. I'm pretty sure it's a data updating issue.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/06 at 6:45 pm

How come you haven't e-mailed me in a while?  :\'(

Cat

Written By: Bobo on 04/22/06 at 10:11 pm

That's something which can be put right immediately. I apologize for that. I'm still around. :)

Written By: Zella on 04/23/06 at 10:19 pm

LBB, would you drop by and visist the nice penguins occasionally again? We miss you! (PM me if you've lost the URL...)  :)

Written By: Bobo on 04/23/06 at 10:26 pm

You mean... at the place we can't mention? Fo' sho'.

Written By: Zella on 04/23/06 at 10:31 pm

You mean... at the place we can't mention? Fo' sho'.

No, no, not that R-offshoot-R place - that other little place where all the nice people went after the First Great Decades Witchhunt...  ;) The URL has changed since you've last been there I think... :)

Written By: karen on 06/29/06 at 11:28 am

Bobo

what are you doing now.  As I recall you were thinking of studying music but it was quite a while ago we discussed it!

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/06 at 10:07 pm

Hi there Karen:

I did one and a half years of music studying in Worcester, but gave it up to look after Mel, when she was most in need of my help and I was pretty much at my lowest ebb in terms of what I was learning and how much enjoyment I was getting out of the course.

I can't say I'll look back on those one and a half years as necessarily unproductive, but it's not an experience I want to repeat, knowing where I am now, and what I'm doing caring for Mel and having so much spare time for myself discovering what the real world looks like.

what are you doing now.  As I recall you were thinking of studying music but it was quite a while ago we discussed it!

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 11:20 am

Will I be talking to you in RRN chat Friday before you answer here?  :D ;D ;)

Written By: Bobo on 11/13/08 at 7:29 pm

Bump. I'm almost permanently around these days, and people are loving to ask people questions lately, so if anyone has anything to ask me... please do.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/13/08 at 7:34 pm

Has Bobo seen my Mo?  :D

Written By: karen on 11/13/08 at 7:46 pm

Has Bobo seen my Mo?  :D

Can anyone see it?  ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/13/08 at 8:41 pm

You wound me, madam...

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 11:59 am

As it happens, ever since I was aware of Movember, I haven't shaved. :D I might just go until Christmas without shaving just to see how well it goes. I tend to look like a bear after two and a half weeks.. :D

Written By: Midas on 11/14/08 at 12:08 pm

Can anyone see it?   ;D

;D

Bobo, which is better - a chocolate musical or musical chocolate?  :D

Written By: Bobo on 11/14/08 at 12:09 pm

That depends. Does it spend an hour every week blasting out Journey and Queen songs?

Written By: Bobo on 06/18/09 at 4:23 pm

Bump. Anyone? I'm always around these days.

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:22 am

why are you so into prime numbers

what makes cricket so fascinating

why the I in bobo? I know you said it once but I forgot...

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:23 am

what's your favorite Wii fit activity?

what's your favorite Wii (non fit) game?

what other video games do you have? 

what's your alltime favorite game

what instruments do you play?

how long have you been musical?

are you really talented or and where can we hear samples?

how long have you been with herself?

how did you meet?

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:24 am

now will you ask me questions in my thread? the links below  ;) (in my sig line)

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:00 am

why are you so into prime numbers

Ahh, I'm just a bit mad with numbers in general, mathematics p•sses me off at the worst of times but remembering ridiculous numbers is part of what I love to do.

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 4:02 am

Ahh, I'm just a bit mad with numbers in general, mathematics p•sses me off at the worst of times but remembering ridiculous numbers is part of what I love to do.

odd! but interesting..... what's you favorite kind of math?  Least favorite?

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:04 am

what makes cricket so fascinating

Almost the same answer as the last question. Ridiculous numbers, ridiculous obsessive statistics. I used to live spitting distance from a cricket ground when I was young, and most days of the week, I was looked after by a babysitter who I loved very much.

She knew I was into counting almost everything that I came across, leaves, peanuts, fruits, grapes, people walking past, silly things that I would just stop in the street and start counting. The natural progression to teach me how to count to higher numbers was to take me to a cricket match, where I would be sat with a pencil and a piece of paper and watch as the players ran past. Taught me numbers, counting, and paying attention all at once.

I had awesome fun.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:06 am

odd! but interesting..... what's you favorite kind of math?  Least favorite?

I hate anything with drawings, trig, graph work, silly things like that which appear to have nothing much to do with math whatsoever to me.

Numbers I'm very gymnastic with at my best. Part of a silly Aspergers-y brain thing I have going on where I'm completely useless socially but with mathematics and numbers I really can just sit and have fun.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:08 am

why the I in bobo? I know you said it once but I forgot...

A dear friend of mine named Kiran, with whom I used to share stories of intense frustration about little things that seemed to matter none at all… when we used to talk to each other, I took to calling her Kirani, and she would call me oBobi (as in iPod).

She is slightly mad, but then aren't we all?

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:10 am

what's your favorite Wii fit activity?

what's your favorite Wii (non fit) game?

I'm currently digging the latest Resident Evil game. I've been following the series since the very first of the games came out on the Playstation, and the latest Wii game — Resident Evil 5 — is fascinating, if only for historical and retrospective reasons.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:15 am

what instruments do you play?

how long have you been musical?

are you really talented or and where can we hear samples?

I play piano and organ mostly, I started playing piano basically as a joke when I was five years old because a music teacher believed I would never have the muscle–tone or capability to get far on the instrument. I love it though, it's a complete escape, a world where I can just think and talk about the musicality of any piece which captivates me.

I can play on a fundamental level almost any instrument, apart from guitar. I can't get my brain around the guitar, and that upsets me slightly. I own all kinds of silly percussion instruments, but then doesn't everyone own a pair of maracas or castanets somewhere that they just clack around? You name it, I'll try and play it. I did buy a Bodhrán around this time last year as a present to myself for coping with insanity for so long. I love that thing.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:16 am

As for whether I'm talented, I do have one song on the computer which I consider my best work, PM me, snoz, and I'll see what I can do for you.

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:18 am

how long have you been with herself?

how did you meet?

I met Herself on September 7, 1999, and, as much as it sounds sickeningly romantic, instantly fell in love with her the minute I saw her. Or more accurately, the minute afterwards, as I had to regain consciousness after falling foul of a nasty tackle after playing soccer. Guess who was first on the scene to survey my injury. ;D

Written By: Bobo on 06/20/09 at 4:18 am

now will you ask me questions in my thread? the links below  ;) (in my sig line)

Once I think of some, aye. If you think of any more, please feel free to ask.

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 4:43 am

A dear friend of mine named Kiran, with whom I used to share stories of intense frustration about little things that seemed to matter none at all… when we used to talk to each other, I took to calling her Kirani, and she would call me oBobi (as in iPod).

She is slightly mad, but then aren't we all?

funny! the math stuff was also a fascinating insight into your universe!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 4:45 am

I met Herself on September 7, 1999, and, as much as it sounds sickeningly romantic, instantly fell in love with her the minute I saw her. Or more accurately, the minute afterwards, as I had to regain consciousness after falling foul of a nasty tackle after playing soccer. Guess who was first on the scene to survey my injury. ;D

nice!

Subject: Ask me things!

Written By: Bobo on 06/22/09 at 2:33 pm

I should change the title of this thread. It makes people not want to ask things!

Written By: Midas on 06/24/09 at 1:31 pm

Which fries are tastier - potato wedges or chips? :D

Written By: Bobo on 06/24/09 at 1:32 pm

Which fries are tastier - potato wedges or chips? :D

Potato wedges are awesome. I only recently discovered how brilliant they are - plus you can eat them all in one bite, which you can't do with chips unless you wanna give yourself indigestion.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/29/09 at 2:43 pm

Bobo...you asked for it!

What is your favorite animal?

What is your favorite color?

What is your favorite drink?

Do you drink alcoholic beverages?

Do you believe in any sort of religion?

What is your living situation?

Are you close to your family?

If you had to be a vulture or a hippopotamus, which would you be and why?

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/09 at 2:56 pm

My favourite animal.. for the last month I've been really digging snakes. Earlier this month I supervised a bunch of kids to a reptile and creepy-crawlie exhibition, and I cajoled most of them to touch literally a snake which was big enough to coil around my body four times. It was some of the most fun I've had this year. And you wonder why people used to think I'd end up creeping some kids to death? ;D

Favourite colour, I would have to say red. But a really rich, deep, dark red like the theme of this messageboard, which is why I have it set to this theme. I do quite like yellow as well, when I'm feeling in one of my cheerier moments.

Favourite drink? Coca cola. I don't drink alcohol at all these days. In fact, I barely used to drink it at all. Back in college, when me, Herself, and all the guys used to go out for a drink in the early afternoons, I was the only person amongst us who didn't drink alcohol.

And I guess that also answers your next question — I don't drink alcohol, at least very rarely — on special occasions such as birthdays and Christmases and extreme celebrations.

If you were to ask me to fill in one of those forms where you have to choose which religion you adhere to, I would not be able to do so honestly — while I was raised in at least a theoretically Christian household, I was never the best of boys when left to my own devices, and over the years I just stopped thinking about it as "a deal".

My living situation at the moment? I live with Herself and, at any given point, any of my friends (read "vagrants") who decide to stop in (generally for months at a time)! Over the years, they have included at least four of my friends from back at school who I was, and am still, their only consistent point of "sane" contact over the years. Herself lost her parents a few years back, and would not be able to go back into a situation where she was living on her own.

I am very close with most of my family, I have to admit. I'm the first to find out when things happen to my brothers and sister, and am generally the first to learn when things happen — I'm close too with my younger brother's girlfriend, and my elder brother's fiancee, both of whom are very beautiful people inside and out.

Hmm. Vulture or hippo. I guess a vulture. Not sure why though.

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/09 at 2:56 pm

Any other random questions would be very appreciated!

Subject: Re: Ask me things!

Written By: Bobo on 06/29/09 at 3:00 pm

I'm around much more often these days. I have changed the title of the thread. Whee.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/09 at 9:53 am

So you supervised a bunch of kids to a reptile museum?  Is that part of your job?  Sounds like fun.  Tell me more.

What is the farthest you've traveled from home?

If you had to live in a country other than England, where would you live and why?

What do you normally eat for breakfast?

Who are your heroes?

What are your favorite condiments?

Do you prefer the ocean, a lake, a river or a swimming pool?

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Written By: Henk on 06/30/09 at 1:56 pm

It recently dawned on me that you were only 13 years old at the time. Not a lot of people that age are still with the same partner ten years on. Good to see there is an exception to the rule. :)

Written By: Bobo on 07/01/09 at 12:50 pm

It recently dawned on me that you were only 13 years old at the time. Not a lot of people that age are still with the same partner ten years on. Good to see there is an exception to the rule. :)

For sure. I was 13, she was 11. Of course we had our shaky moments, and our times apart, but really I'm not sure how I would cope these days if we were apart.

Written By: Bobo on 07/01/09 at 1:00 pm

I missed even more questions! Sorry Ash, it wasn't intentional!

Okay, questions questions. Here we go.

1) Until the end of this week (in theory) I've been looking after - supervising, if you will - a bunch of young kids, a number of whom have developmental difficulties of some description, originally for the concept of exploration and therapy via music, but as they realized that I have more experience working with children than any of the other people who work there, they kinda gave me a whole mess of stuff to deal with including finding fun things for the kids to do inside and outside of the workplace.

2) Shamefully, I've never actually been abroad. I've been about 200 miles away from home, but that's about it. ;D That doesn't really count. I wanna go to a ton of places, I wish it could be possible to meet up with fellow 00zers.

3) I can't decide where else I'd live, mostly places where other people, bunches of my friends either from where I used to live down in Sussex, or possibly Lincolnshire. It's a shame I can't meet up with most of them, and it would be nice to do so.

4) Ordinarily I don't eat breakfast, though if I do so I generally eat something I can hold in my hand like toast, or breakfast bars or muesli. Never mind that. Messy. ;D

5) The biggest, biggest hero in my life, without any doubt, is Herself. She's been through a whole mess of crap to get through where she is today, and it seems silly that anyone would have to put up with as much as she has to get where she is today.

6) Favourite condiments? Ketchup! Not quite with everything...

7) Not a swimming pool! 23 years old, I still can't swim. Shocking. I love the peace and tranquility of being by a river whenever I get the chance. So long as I don't get clumsy and fall in...

8) I have to eat chocolate ice cream whenever and wherever I have the chance!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/07/09 at 10:08 am

1.  What is your favorite book?

2.  What is your favorite movie?

3.  Favorite fruit?  (Besides pineapple)

4. Favorite vegetable?

5. Favorite composer?

6.  Favorite modern rock band?

7.  Favorite meat?

8.  Biggest pet peeve?

9.  Favorite toys as a child?

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/09 at 10:13 am

and....

What's your favorite Rankin/Bass Special?

Favorite Peanuts Special?

Which Peanuts character do you most identify with?

and because Ash apparently saved it for me  ;)

favorite TV shows from the past 5 actually  6  decades ?

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/09 at 10:32 am

Thank you for the questions, Ash! A very interesting bunch. I will attempt to answer them to the best of my ability.

1. My favourite book at the moment has to be either the expanded version of "Revolution in the Head" by the late, great, Ian McDonald, one of the finest Beatles scholars that has lived, and that ever will live. I still enjoy reading up on the silly facts and small minute details from the one person who seems to know absolutely everything. Either that, or "No-One Here Gets Out Alive", the Jim Morrison biography, by Danny Sugerman and Jerry Hopkins.

2. Generally speaking I'm not very good with movies, the last movie I watched that I grew particularly fond of is the biopic "Dead Man's Curve", starring Richard Hatch, chronicling the life and career of surf–group Jan and Dean.

3. I love cherries! (No disgusting jokes please!) Sometimes I eat too many cherries and get a bit addicted.

4. I'm not so much of a vegetable person. Generally speaking I reckon that if a food has touched the ground, it is pretty much useless. That said, I overdose on potatoes when I'm feeling a bit depressive.

5. Classical composer, or music composer in general? I am into Bizet recently. Me and a friend, Chris, are singing a duet this coming Friday from "Le Pecheurs de perles". I am nervous. :D

6. By modern rock, do you mean rock music that is modern, or modern rock? Most recently I am into Morrissey, I'm not entirely sure whether that counts, but it's all a bit left-field for me. That whole Smiths-y/depressingy/wrist-slitty stuff is as good for emotions as it is for bodily protein!

7. Literally every time I eat meat, the answer changes to whatever meat I just had. Last week we went out to a restaurant, and I had literally more beautiful lamb than you have ever, ever tasted. I will grant you I don't eat meat very often, usually only as part of a Sunday meal, but when I do, I enjoy it. I would make a useless vegetarian.

8. I don't know about pet peeves, per se, but there are some tiny, niggly things that nark me off at the worst of times. Chief among them is the stupidity of today's parents to refuse to accept the ability and skills of their own kids and to think it's acceptable to do every single little thing to make their young child feel inferior to them.

And as an extension from that, adults who, knowingly, are ten times stupider than children, even their own, because they don't have the smarts to know emotionally what their child is experiencing at home, and away from home. It amazes me how switched on kids can appear within an environment which suits them.

9. Too many, too many. I still have kept most of my toys from when I was young, from juggling balls, to dice, to colourful swirly things that just go around and around like spinning tops in every colour you can think of. I was always captivated by light, colour, and sound, and this was the perfect way to kill three birds with one stone.

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/09 at 10:33 am

Peanuts? I have forgotten all about peanuts! And I don't even wanna say the word rankin!

Written By: snozberries on 07/07/09 at 7:52 pm

what's your favorite kind of nut?

If you couldn't listen to music ever again what would you do?

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/09 at 9:09 pm

Despite saying what I said in my previous post, I am somewhat addicted to peanuts! :D

(snoz: But Bobo, a peanut is not a nut, it is a seed!)

Written By: Bobo on 07/07/09 at 9:10 pm

Literally if I do not listen to music for more than five hours, I do go insane. That's a blessing and a curse really.

Written By: Frank on 07/10/09 at 12:57 am

Hey, what's your favorite sport?
Favorite team?

Name 3 celebs (past or present)  you'd like to have dinner with

Written By: Bobo on 07/10/09 at 11:18 am

I am a soccer fan first and foremost, and my team is Manchester United, the home team of my father.

Written By: Frank on 07/10/09 at 6:48 pm

I am a soccer fan first and foremost, and my team is Manchester United, the home team of my father.

My nephew's ( In Hong Kong) favorite player is Gary Neville. He still plays for Manchester I think? (not my nephew, but Gary)

Written By: Bobo on 07/10/09 at 6:51 pm

Yes indeed, Gary Neville still plays for Manchester United, after all of seventeen years with the club. His brother Phil also used to play for the team, but now plays for Everton.

Written By: Frank on 07/10/09 at 6:55 pm

Yes indeed, Gary Neville still plays for Manchester United, after all of seventeen years with the club. His brother Phil also used to play for the team, but now plays for Everton.

I usually follow soccer during World cups and Euro championships, not a lot of coverage in CDA. I think out team (if you can call it that) is about 90th in the world. The only WC Canada ever made was in 1986 and they didn't even score a goal.

Written By: Bobo on 07/10/09 at 6:58 pm

Speaking of Canada, they're playing a game right now, in fact. Half-time, two-apiece against Costa Rica. They have won their last four competitive fixtures, which is quite good going.

Written By: Frank on 07/10/09 at 7:03 pm

Speaking of Canada, they're playing a game right now, in fact. Half-time, two-apiece against Costa Rica. They have won their last four competitive fixtures, which is quite good going.

Yes, they have done well, but they aren't playing against world class teams. 
Even if Canada was number 3 in the world in football, still would take a back seat to Hockey, Baseball, football and NBA.

Check for new replies or respond here...