inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Consult The General On Bands You Don't Know

Written By: Apricot on 04/21/06 at 11:56 pm

Well, it's my area of expertise.....

Subject: Re: Consult The General On Bands You Don't Know

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/06 at 6:33 am

Well, it's my area of expertise.....

Does the band Ned Beatty and the Inbreds still exist? ???

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 05/31/06 at 1:33 pm

What's so great about ELO?

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:04 pm

ELO, or Electric Light Orchestra is enjoyed by people for their catchy melodies, such as on "Mr. Blue Sky"... very, very catchy song.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 8:06 pm

Pavement. I've heard some of their stuff, but I don't know them well.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:09 pm

Pavement. I've heard some of their stuff, but I don't know them well.

I know a little Pavement. From what I heard, they're like White Stripes, but a little harder. Are you into Modest Mouse and similar bands? They're supposedly the ancestors of Modest Mouse, sorta... more guitar-heavy, but similar in a vague way. I wouldn't recommend them, though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:10 pm

What indie bands should a New Wave fan check out?

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:17 pm

What indie bands should a New Wave fan check out?

Define "New Wave"... give me bands that a New Wave fan would enjoy and I'll hit you with my recommendations.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:19 pm

Define "New Wave"... give me bands that a New Wave fan would enjoy and I'll hit you with my recommendations.

Some New Wave acts I like are Devo, Talking Heads, Human League, Depeche Mode, and Thompson Twins.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 8:20 pm

I like Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, and Kate Bush, what should I check out?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:20 pm

What bands should someone who needs to get away from top 40 music check out first? I know very little about non mainstream bands.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:22 pm

What bands should someone who needs to get away from top 40 music check out first? I know very little about non mainstream bands.

Try out the Talking Heads!  ;D

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:24 pm

Some New Wave acts I like are Devo, Talking Heads, Human League, Depeche Mode, and Thompson Twins.

For you, I would recommend Nine-Inch Nails (they claim Devo as a direct influence), newer Gary Numan (as well as older, quite good stuff), Old Time Relijun (a much more intense Talking Heads), Future Bible Heroes (actually cover Human League once or twice), Momus (some of his stuff, probably Timelord, Philosophy of Momus, and Oskar Tennis Champion if you're feeling crazy), and maybe even Morrissey.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:24 pm

For you, I would recommend Nine-Inch Nails (they claim Devo as a direct influence), newer Gary Numan (as well as older, quite good stuff), Old Time Relijun (a much more intense Talking Heads), Future Bible Heroes (actually cover Human League once or twice), Momus (some of his stuff, probably Timelord, Philosophy of Momus, and Oskar Tennis Champion if you're feeling crazy), and maybe even Morrissey.

What do you think of the new wave bands I like? Do I have good taste, as far as '80s music goes?

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:25 pm

Depends what you're into. If you're in the mood to break from the mainstream, I recommend a mix to find out what you like. Try Radiohead, The Mountain Goats, The Paper Chase, Deadsy, Cornelius, Momus, Tom Waits, Modest Mouse, Interpol, and even a little of Johnny Cash's stuff right before his death.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:26 pm

Try out the Talking Heads!  ;D

;D A New Wave group right? lol

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:26 pm

Depends what you're into. If you're in the mood to break from the mainstream, I recommend a mix to find out what you like. Try Radiohead, The Mountain Goats, The Paper Chase, Deadsy, Cornelius, Momus, Tom Waits, Modest Mouse, Interpol, and even a little of Johnny Cash's stuff right before his death.

If you're into Top 40 Music, I would suggest starting out with more accessible indie music.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:27 pm

What do you think of the new wave bands I like? Do I have good taste, as far as '80s music goes?

I'm actually quite into Depeche Mode, I own "Playing The Angel", a sound investment. Human League is a band I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I'm a fan of. ;D

Talking Heads are great, but I'm not keen on Devo, really. They have a few decent songs, but I'm not crazy about them, too much.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:27 pm

;D A New Wave group right? lol

Yes  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 8:27 pm

Any recommendations for me?

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:28 pm

If you're into Top 40 Music, I would suggest starting out with more accessible indie music.

That's why Modest Mouse, Interpol, and Radiohead were on there. I'm giving him a good representation of obscure and accessible.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:28 pm

Yeah I've heard some Interpol, they're pretty good. And I like Float On by Modest Mouse, I know Radiohead as well. I'll have to check out some of the other stuff.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:29 pm

I'm actually quite into Depeche Mode, I own "Playing The Angel", a sound investment. Human League is a band I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I'm a fan of. ;D

Talking Heads are great, but I'm not keen on Devo, really. They have a few decent songs, but I'm not crazy about them, too much.

Even though Depeche Mode are usually thought of as an "Eighties" band, you could argue that they're as much '90s/'00s alternative/techno as they are new wave.  Human League are definitely a guilty pleasure, but most of their music is most better than "Don't You Want Me"  ;D

Talking Heads are possibly my favorite band. I used to like Devo more, but I kind of like them a little less now. The Freedom of Choice album is so good though that I still consider them one of my favorite bands.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:30 pm

That's why Modest Mouse, Interpol, and Radiohead were on there. I'm giving him a good representation of obscure and accessible.

Modest Mouse are very Talking Heads influenced. Isaac Brock is the David Byrne of the '00s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:31 pm

Even though Depeche Mode are usually thought of as an "Eighties" band, you could argue that they're as much '90s/'00s alternative/techno as they are new wave.  Human League are definitely a guilty pleasure, but most of their music is most better than "Don't You Want Me"  ;D

Talking Heads are possibly my favorite band. I used to like Devo more, but I kind of like them a little less now. The Freedom of Choice album is so good though that I still consider them one of my favorite bands.

I Like Devo's Whip It, unfortunately that's like the only song of their's I know.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:32 pm

I Like Devo's Whip It, unfortunately that's like the only song of their's I know.

"Whip It" is one of their worse songs. If you're going to get into Devo, you can't take them at face value, because their music is extremely satirical and sarcastic.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:32 pm

Any recommendations for me?

Sorry it took me a bit, this is a lot of action for this thread.

Voltaire seems like he might be your tempo.. he actually covers Tori Amos once or twice.. try the BOO HOO album, if it's to your liking, try The Devil's Bris and Then and Again. I'd say The Magnetic Fields might interest you too, just a hunch. Try also The Decemberists, they're not bad. Morrissey seems like he might be for you, too... Grandaddy might be okay for you, just maybe. Black Heart Procession is real sad and downbeat, if you're into that. If you're feeling reaaaaaaaaaaaally out there, Daniel Johnston. But only if you're really willing to take a plunge.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:34 pm

Modest Mouse are very Talking Heads influenced. Isaac Brock is the David Byrne of the '00s.

Yes, very much so. You can see it, especially on their earlier stuff. They're gradually forming their own unique sound.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:34 pm

"Whip It" is one of their worse songs. If you're going to get into Devo, you can't take them at face value, because their music is extremely satirical and sarcastic.

What are some of their better songs?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:35 pm

Yes, very much so. You can see it, especially on their earlier stuff. They're gradually forming their own unique sound.

I bet if you played "Psycho Killer" to a group of 15 year olds 40% of them would guess it was Modest Mouse.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:36 pm

What are some of their better songs?

"Freedom of Choice" and "Gates of Steel" are very good. Also "Space Junk".

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:38 pm

I bet if you played "Psycho Killer" to a group of 15 year olds 40% of them would guess it was Modest Mouse.

Byrne's voice is very recognizeable, though, as is Brock's. You can hear the influence, but they're a lot of differences.

Yeah I've heard some Interpol, they're pretty good. And I like Float On by Modest Mouse, I know Radiohead as well. I'll have to check out some of the other stuff.

If you're gonna check out Modest Mouse, try the new album "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" first.. if that's to your liking, try "The Moon and Antarctica" for more downbeat, darker stuff, "The Lonesome Crowded West" for more aggressive... do you have a downloading program?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:40 pm

Byrne's voice is very recognizeable, though, as is Brock's. You can hear the influence, but they're a lot of differences.

If you're gonna check out Modest Mouse, try the new album "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" first.. if that's to your liking, try "The Moon and Antarctica" for more downbeat, darker stuff, "The Lonesome Crowded West" for more aggressive... do you have a downloading program?

Right now I've got limewire, it's not really that good though, but I don't really know any others. I might be able to torrent the album though bit torrent though, I'll have to see if anybody's seeding it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:41 pm

Modest Mouse aren't a complete Talking Heads ripoff. Brock does have a distinct sound.

Another similarity between Modest Mouse and Talking Heads is the funk influence.

Written By: Apricot on 06/01/06 at 8:42 pm

Right now I've got limewire, it's not really that good though, but I don't really know any others. I might be able to torrent the album though bit torrent though, I'll have to see if anybody's seeding it.

LimeWire will suffice.. for Modest Mouse, get "The Ocean Breathes Salty", "This Devil's Workday", "Bukowski" and "Blame It On The Tetons".. that's a good cross-section of "Good News For People Who Love Bad News"... then, get "Cowboy Dan" and "3rd Planet"... if you like "Cowboy Dan", "Lonesome Crowded West" is the road, otherwise "Moon and Antarctica".

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:48 pm

LimeWire will suffice.. for Modest Mouse, get "The Ocean Breathes Salty", "This Devil's Workday", "Bukowski" and "Blame It On The Tetons".. that's a good cross-section of "Good News For People Who Love Bad News"... then, get "Cowboy Dan" and "3rd Planet"... if you like "Cowboy Dan", "Lonesome Crowded West" is the road, otherwise "Moon and Antarctica".

Thanks I'm downloading those now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/02/06 at 2:22 pm

Sorry it took me a bit, this is a lot of action for this thread.

Voltaire seems like he might be your tempo.. he actually covers Tori Amos once or twice.. try the BOO HOO album, if it's to your liking, try The Devil's Bris and Then and Again. I'd say The Magnetic Fields might interest you too, just a hunch. Try also The Decemberists, they're not bad. Morrissey seems like he might be for you, too... Grandaddy might be okay for you, just maybe. Black Heart Procession is real sad and downbeat, if you're into that. If you're feeling reaaaaaaaaaaaally out there, Daniel Johnston. But only if you're really willing to take a plunge.

I could try Voltaire.

Written By: Apricot on 06/02/06 at 3:25 pm

I could try Voltaire.

Go for it, I say. Good luck.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/02/06 at 4:04 pm

YAY! Morrissey!

lol

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/06 at 1:40 pm

I like Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos, and Kate Bush, what should I check out?

For Joni try "Ladies of the Canyon", but beware, you will love her but she can be soooo depressing

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 1:53 pm

For Joni try "Ladies of the Canyon", but beware, you will love her but she can be soooo depressing

I love that album.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/03/06 at 6:02 pm

They have great arrangements, catchy melodies, and amazingly good music. Jeff Lynne knows how to construct and arrange instruments to sound good in one chord...

I don't know, they're just great.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/03/06 at 6:04 pm

"Freedom of Choice" and "Gates of Steel" are very good. Also "Space Junk".

Ah... Gates of Steel.

I've never heard a DEVO song I haven't liked...

I think... let me ponder for a bit.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 7:27 pm

Ah... Gates of Steel.

I've never heard a DEVO song I haven't liked...

I think... let me ponder for a bit.

I love "Jerkin' Back and Forth."

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/03/06 at 9:15 pm

I love "Jerkin' Back and Forth."

If you want a good song, just write it about masturbation! :D

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/06 at 9:50 pm

If you want a good song, just write it about masturbation! :D

Just look at "Every Day I Die"!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:00 am

Just look at "Every Day I Die"!

There are so many great masturbation songs: "I Touch Myself" (various), "Icicle" (Tori Amos), "Dancing with Myself", "She-Bop"...

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/04/06 at 12:21 am

There are so many great masturbation songs: "I Touch Myself" (various), "Icicle" (Tori Amos), "Dancing with Myself", "She-Bop"...

"Darling Nikki", "Longview"

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 12:35 am

"Darling Nikki", "Longview"

Well, "Darling Nikki" isn't really about masturbation. It's a masterpiece about screwing and God that involves some hotel-lobby masturbation with a magazine.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/04/06 at 12:54 am

Well, "Darling Nikki" isn't really about masturbation. It's a masterpiece about screwing and God that involves some hotel-lobby masturbation with a magazine.

I have to download that.

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/05/06 at 9:55 am

What can you tell me about any of the following bands:

God Lives Underwater
Failure
Locust
Self
Monster Magnet
Rabbit In The Moon
Statemachine
Dark Distant Spaces

Written By: SpaceHog on 06/06/06 at 12:20 pm

What about:

Nomo
Red Rockers
Randydandy
Bingo Boys
Jon Astley

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/07/06 at 11:49 pm

Ok, one verse about it, though

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 10:35 pm

What should I buy to get into Morrissey?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 10:58 pm

'I Touch Myself' was, of course, originally by the Divinyls. Who better than Chrissy Amphlett to belt out that androgynous tune?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/19/06 at 12:36 am

What should I buy to get into Morrissey?

This man deserves karma!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/spin3.gif

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 1:35 am

This man deserves karma!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/spin3.gif

Muchas gracias! Well, Morrissey's solo work, I meant; I already adore the Smiths.

Written By: Apricot on 06/19/06 at 11:25 am

Muchas gracias! Well, Morrissey's solo work, I meant; I already adore the Smiths.

You said once you like sad music.. I'd say get "You Are The Quarry" first... but every Morrissey fan gets started on "Bona Drag", a compilation of good stuff from 1990. So I say go with "Bona Drag", then "You Are The Quarry", then "Viva Hate" (though some of the tracks from here will be on Bona Drag, because Viva Hate was the debut, tracks were taken from it for the compilation)... maybe even the new one "Ringleader of the Tormentors".

Check for new replies or respond here...