inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me, ask me, ask me anything about the Smiths/Morrissey!

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/26/06 at 9:30 pm

For a 17 year old, I'm quite the fan.

I mean come on, even the description of this board if from a Smiths song!

And if you don't know much about Morrissey or the Smiths, ask me anything. Really!

Annnnnnnnnd, GO.

<3 ashuhwee

Subject: Re: Ask me, ask me, ask me anything about the Smiths/Morrissey!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 9:37 pm

Why are you a Smiths fan?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/26/06 at 10:02 pm

I know it sounds cliche, but their music speaks to me.

Morrissey has a one in a million voice, and his witty intelligence and cynicism makes him hard to love and hard to hate at the same time. And when you throw in Johnny Marr's brilliant virtuoso guitar, you have a lovely duo. But not forgetting Andy and Mike, of course.

You know how Liverpool has the Beatles? Manchester has the Smiths. <3

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:10 pm

I know it sounds cliche, but their music speaks to me.

Morrissey has a one in a million voice, and his witty intelligence and cynicism makes him hard to love and hard to hate at the same time. And when you throw in Johnny Marr's brilliant virtuoso guitar, you have a lovely duo. But not forgetting Andy and Mike, of course.

You know how Liverpool has the Beatles? Manchester has the Smiths. <3

Manchester also had Oasis...

I have a Smiths compilation, actually, I like them cos' the music has that 'Folk' inflection i.e. not traditional Blues inflection, and the lyrics are at time slightly strange.

Morrissey annoys me at times though...he just seems so depressed all the time

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/26/06 at 10:29 pm

do they sound '80s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/26/06 at 10:31 pm

do they sound '80s?

They sound 80s, but they aren't really part of the 80s mainstream scene. Notice the conspicous lack of synths.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/27/06 at 2:01 pm

Is "Hand in Glove" better with or without Sandie Shaw?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/27/06 at 3:31 pm

Do you know the name of the club where I can meet somebody who really loves me, stand on my own, leave on my own, go home, cry, and want to die ?

;)  ;D

Written By: Dominic L. on 04/27/06 at 7:30 pm

Have you heard their cover of "Across the Universe" by The Beatles?

Have you heard the band Nightmare of You? Many people think they sound like The Smiths/Morrissey... do you!?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/27/06 at 9:55 pm

They sound 80s, but they aren't really part of the 80s mainstream scene. Notice the conspicous lack of synths.

I personally don't think they sound 80s. I think that's why I like them so much. They don't really sound like they belong to any decade.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/27/06 at 9:57 pm

Do you know the name of the club where I can meet somebody who really loves me, stand on my own, leave on my own, go home, cry, and want to die ?

;)  ;D

That was cute :)

No, but if you ever run into a vicar in a tutu, ask him, because I'm sure he goes there. :)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/27/06 at 10:10 pm

Is "Hand in Glove" better with or without Sandie Shaw?

You know, I haven't heard her version of it. I don't exactly download music with my dialup connection, and there aren't any music stores cool enough to be packed with cool CDs. I'm from a very small town. It's a wonder I;ve even heard of the Smiths.

So for this question, my answer is that I'll tell you when I hear it :)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/27/06 at 10:16 pm

Have you heard their cover of "Across the Universe" by The Beatles?

Have you heard the band Nightmare of You? Many people think they sound like The Smiths/Morrissey... do you!?

To your first question: Sure haven't. I'd LOVE to hear it, though!

Second question: Sure haven't. I've heard OF them, but never got to hear their stuff. I'll ask around and see if any of my friends has a CD by them.

Third question: I'll tell ya when I hear them lol

You know what? I'm gunna go to myspace and see if they have a profile there RIGHT NOW. And I'll tell ya!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/28/06 at 2:38 am

That was cute :)

No, but if you ever run into a vicar in a tutu, ask him, because I'm sure he goes there. :)

hahahaha I will!

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/29/06 at 10:02 pm

Now I can say that yes, Nightmare of You kinda does sound like The Smiths.

I went to their myspace and they even listed them as one of their influences. Ha.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:21 am

I personally don't think they sound 80s. I think that's why I like them so much. They don't really sound like they belong to any decade.

They have that eighties melancholy about them, like bands such as 'Tears for Fears', but otherwise are quite seperate from the majority of 80s groups.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 04/30/06 at 11:36 am

(o.O)

Oooooooh.

<3 Tears For Fears <3

Written By: KKay on 05/01/06 at 8:45 am

What is the sound in the background of the intro to "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me"...
is it a playground or seagulls.....

Written By: Apricot on 05/03/06 at 8:52 pm

I got a question that's bothering me..

Are the Bona Drag versions of the songs the same as the old ones? I got a few tracks off of Bona Drag and then checked out the Viva Hate version of one of them, and it was the same.. but someone told me that some were different.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 05/13/06 at 1:16 am

What is the sound in the background of the intro to "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me"...
is it a playground or seagulls.....

I did some research for this one. First, I went to a book I have, called Songs That Saved your Life by Simon Goddard. It's practically a Smiths bible, I think. It didn't really give me a clear answer.

I then went to ask.com, typed in LASID, and clicked the first results. This brings me to one of my favourite sites that I go to when I wanna know something about Morrissey or Smiths songs. It says that the sound in the backround is "crowd noises from a BBC sound effects album."

I hope that answered your question. :)

Keep 'em coming!

<3 Ash

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 05/13/06 at 1:17 am

I got a question that's bothering me..

Are the Bona Drag versions of the songs the same as the old ones? I got a few tracks off of Bona Drag and then checked out the Viva Hate version of one of them, and it was the same.. but someone told me that some were different.

Seeing that I only have Bona Drag and not Viva Hate, I don't know yet. I'll ask my friend Dustin if he has the CD, and then I'll compare songs. If you find out before me, be sure to let me know!

Thanks for asking :)    <3 Ash

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/06 at 8:47 pm

*BUMP

Another board I go to was talking about The Smiths, so it reminded me. I just relistened to "This Charming Man" on an '80s compliation CD I have. It's a pretty good "artsy new wave" song.

Is Morrisey's solo work anything like that?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/28/06 at 1:11 am

*BUMP

Another board I go to was talking about The Smiths, so it reminded me. I just relistened to "This Charming Man" on an '80s compliation CD I have. It's a pretty good "artsy new wave" song.

Is Morrisey's solo work anything like that?

Jangly is a good word to describe the Smiths. Jangly is NOT any kind of word to describe Morrissey. As for artsy new wave? Nah. Morrissey's later stuff is more like, college radio, indie stuff. His solo work around the late 80s-early 90s has some jingle to them ("HairDresser On Fire," Piccadilly Palare") but it leaves the older he gets. And that's not a bad thing!

but nah, I wouldn't say the two are alike.

Which "This Charming Man" song are you listening to? The catchy one without the short Morrissey scream, or the less catchy one with the scream?

<3 Ash

PS. I don't know how to spell jangly.  >:(

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/06 at 1:27 am

Jangly is a good word to describe the Smiths. Jangly is NOT any kind of word to describe Morrissey. As for artsy new wave? Nah. Morrissey's later stuff is more like, college radio, indie stuff. His solo work around the late 80s-early 90s has some jingle to them ("HairDresser On Fire," Piccadilly Palare") but it leaves the older he gets. And that's not a bad thing!

Which "This Charming Man" song are you listening to? The catchy one without the short Morrissey scream, or the less catchy one with the scream?

<3 Ash

Oh, were there two different versions? The one I have is about 2:40 and doesn't have a scream (none that I recall anyway, lol). Jangly is a good word to describe it - the music sounds almost kinda rockability.

You know, you just reminded me of something with the "Hairdresser on Fire" mention: a few years ago, one of my high school friends lent me some CD's. One of them must have been one of Morrissey's solo albums. I remember now, because of the unique song titles (I'd just forgotten who it was until now). ;) Unfortunately, it didn't grab me at the time, not enough to listen to more than one or two songs anyway, and I gave it back to my friend in class the next day. If I recall right, it was kinda mellow but artsy.

I'm always willing to give stuff another chance, though. Is that his most popular solo album?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/28/06 at 1:33 am

Oh, were there two different versions? The one I have is about 2:40 and doesn't have a scream (none that I recall anyway, lol). Jangly is a good word to describe it - the music sounds almost kinda rockability.

You know, you just reminded me of something with the "Hairdresser on Fire" mention: a few years ago, one of my high school friends lent me some CD's. One of them must have been one of Morrissey's solo albums. I remember now, because of the unique song titles (I'd just forgotten who it was until now). ;) Unfortunately, it didn't grab me at the time, not enough to listen to more than one or two songs anyway, and I gave it back to my friend in class the next day. If I recall right, it was kinda mellow but artsy.

I'm always willing to give stuff another chance, though. Is that his most popular solo album?

Most popular? I dunno, maybe Bona Drag, Viva Hate, or Maladjusted (i heard that one was crappy.) Bona Drag is my favourite by far.

Haha, that's cool that you listenened to him a while ago and just now remembered it was him. I do that a lot with other bands!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/06 at 1:37 am

^Yeah, I like doing that. Let's say, hearing a song on the radio or on a CD and thinking, "Oh hey, wait! I remember this song from when I was 5!" :D

The name Bona Drag brings back very vague memories, that must have been the one (I think another one was called "I'm Blind").

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/28/06 at 1:49 am

Maybe, "Yes, I Am Blind?"

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/06 at 1:54 am

^ Yeah, that's the one. Were there any radio/video hits from that album, or was it a more underground success?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/28/06 at 2:26 am

<3 Ash

I like Morrissey's music, but I don't like him as a person...

Written By: Apricot on 06/28/06 at 8:53 pm

Most popular? I dunno, maybe Bona Drag, Viva Hate, or Maladjusted (i heard that one was crappy.) Bona Drag is my favourite by far.

Bona Drag is the most popular.. although You Are The Quarry is pretty well known these days.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/29/06 at 1:36 am

I like Morrissey's music, but I don't like him as a person...

Because...?

Written By: Apricot on 06/29/06 at 9:11 pm

Because...?

Actually, some things about him annoy me, too.. the "America Is Not The World" song is a lot of it.. his political attitude is very... 'bitchy' is the only word I can think of.

Written By: Apricot on 07/17/06 at 1:56 pm

I dunno if you know anything about music theory, but..

I was writing out the music to a few Morrissey songs.. I play the chords and melody on piano.. I notice on a lot of songs, his vocals are inconsistent with the key he's in. For example, the notes for the vocal line on "Disappointed"'s chorus are entirely on black keys (accidental notes).. yet only one of the chords is. Likewise, on "You Have Killed Me", all the chords are based on accidentals, yet very few accidentals are used in the melody. Yet it matches up.

Have you noticed anything like this? Even if it's not exact notes, per se, have you noticed that Morrissey rarely sings in the same key signature he plays?

Aaaaaand, one more.. is "Pretty Girls Make Graves" all on E minor? Cause I think it's just that one chord the whole way through.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/17/06 at 3:20 pm

I'm not smart enough to distinguish things like that.

If I made music, I'd be able to, but I don't, so I can't.

So... darn. You made me feel stupid!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 4:15 pm

Actually, some things about him annoy me, too.. the "America Is Not The World" song is a lot of it.. his political attitude is very... 'bitchy' is the only word I can think of.

I also think it's hypocritical that he for a long time refused to wear non-leather shoes, even after Meat is Murder. Honey, he's so famous that it shouldn't matter what shoes he wears. He's also feud-prone with other artists...I think he thinks that he's God's gift to music, or something. I suppose you can say that since he is a great musician, he has a right to do this, but on the other hand, ALOT of other musicians (Tori Amos, The Cure) despise his attitude about things. He's sort of a Gwyneth Paltrow...like he thinks that everybody cares about his political/social opinions and it's his duty to tell everyone about and proselytize to them (like what Tubeway was saying about his "bitchy" political attitude.) Also, I disparage him for not coming out of the closet. His songs have such an obvious gay subtext ("Shoplifters of the World" or "How Soon Is Now?" for example), and other musical artists, including band members of Culture Club, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, George Michael, Elton John, Rufus Wainwright, etc. have come out. It's sort of a slap in the face to his huge gay following, including myself, like he refuses to acknowledge us/he's "too good for us."

I do love his music, though. He's just full of himself.

Written By: Apricot on 07/18/06 at 2:16 pm

Concerning what you said there.. I'm not entirely sure if he's gay. I mean, it's possible.. the homosexual themes in Smiths and his solo music is very evident.. but he's refuted those accusations in interviews.. some interviewer asked about his sexuality, and he said "I'm gay? Well, that's news to me."

I think originally, he was unintentionally ambiguous. Then he realized that no one had any clue what team he was batting for, and starting playing with it. Making you think "Hmm.. he may be gay." but never giving you any solid proof of it. At first, he didn't know, then once he realized, he started playing with it. It's like when you tell someone you know a secret about them, and they think you don't, but they can't be sure, and you lead them on.. if that makes sense.

I'd like a straight (pardon the pun) answer from him, but I doubt he's ever gonna give it.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 10:00 am

I dunno if you know anything about music theory, but..

I was writing out the music to a few Morrissey songs.. I play the chords and melody on piano.. I notice on a lot of songs, his vocals are inconsistent with the key he's in. For example, the notes for the vocal line on "Disappointed"'s chorus are entirely on black keys (accidental notes).. yet only one of the chords is. Likewise, on "You Have Killed Me", all the chords are based on accidentals, yet very few accidentals are used in the melody. Yet it matches up.

Have you noticed anything like this? Even if it's not exact notes, per se, have you noticed that Morrissey rarely sings in the same key signature he plays?

Aaaaaand, one more.. is "Pretty Girls Make Graves" all on E minor? Cause I think it's just that one chord the whole way through.

Either he's tone deaf, or he's just too lazy to make music that match his vocals. Then again, if you think about it, there are a lot of artists that do this.

Written By: Apricot on 07/19/06 at 11:11 am

Either he's tone deaf, or he's just too lazy to make music that match his vocals. Then again, if you think about it, there are a lot of artists that do this.

No, don't get me wrong here.. it matches up. Like, the music flows together well.. it's just that the notes he sings aren't in the key signature of his music.. I don't know if you know the song "Disappointed", but the vocals are almost all on accidental notes (Black Keys).. yet the song itself seems as if it should only be in 2 flats based on the chords.

It works, but musically, it's a little strange.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/19/06 at 11:16 am

No, don't get me wrong here.. it matches up. Like, the music flows together well.. it's just that the notes he sings aren't in the key signature of his music.. I don't know if you know the song "Disappointed", but the vocals are almost all on accidental notes (Black Keys).. yet the song itself seems as if it should only be in 2 flats based on the chords.

It works, but musically, it's a little strange.

Yeah, that's kind of common. I remember Flo and Eddie praising Frank Zappa because his melodies stay in the key signature.

Written By: chaka on 08/05/06 at 8:56 am

Ok I'm not very familiar with The Smiths so what songs would you recommend I should download?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/05/06 at 4:53 pm

Ok I'm not very familiar with The Smiths so what songs would you recommend I should download?

Ooh!

"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now," "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out," "Frankly Mr. Shankly," and really anything from their The Queen Is Dead CD.

Tell me what you think about them later. :)

Written By: Apricot on 08/05/06 at 10:39 pm

Make sure you get "Pretty Girls Make Graves" and "How Soon Is Now?" as well as what she recommended.

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/05/06 at 10:55 pm

Make sure you get "Pretty Girls Make Graves" and "How Soon Is Now?" as well as what she recommended.

You Have Killed Me, as well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/06/06 at 2:37 pm

I hate "Pretty Girls Make Graves"...most definitely their most overrated song.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/06/06 at 4:03 pm

I hate "Pretty Girls Make Graves"...most definitely their most overrated song.

I love it. But then again, I LOVE "Golden Lights," and no one really likes that song.

Written By: light_my_fire on 08/06/06 at 4:05 pm

sooo ashie..you know everything about Mozzer...how big is his penis! :P

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/06/06 at 4:07 pm

sooo ashie..you know everything about Mozzer...how big is his penis! :P

Let's just say... "I can smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible."  ;D

Written By: light_my_fire on 08/06/06 at 4:10 pm

Let's just say... "I can smile about it now, but at the time it was terrible."  ;D

you are most def* day dreaming!!! WAKE UP...he's not on top of you! lol

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/06/06 at 4:12 pm

you are most def* day dreaming!!! WAKE UP...he's not on top of you! lol

:o

Written By: light_my_fire on 08/06/06 at 4:13 pm

:o

now that is probably tha face you would make, though.  :D

Written By: Apricot on 08/06/06 at 9:54 pm

now that is probably tha face you would make, though.  :D

Her eyes would be two different sizes, too!

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/07/06 at 11:36 am

I love it. But then again, I LOVE "Golden Lights," and no one really likes that song.

Hmm...I love "Golden Lights"...

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/07/06 at 3:23 pm

Hmm...I love "Golden Lights"...

I'm glad to hear that! Most people don't like it because "it doesn't sound like The Smiths."

Do you like Oscillate Wildly? I love it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/07/06 at 3:47 pm

I'm glad to hear that! Most people don't like it because "it doesn't sound like The Smiths."

Do you like Oscillate Wildly? I love it.

I like "Oscillate Wildly" too. Do you agree "How Soon Is Now?" is closer to Morrissey's solo work than the rest of the Smiths' songs?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/07/06 at 4:06 pm

I like "Oscillate Wildly" too. Do you agree "How Soon Is Now?" is closer to Morrissey's solo work than the rest of the Smiths' songs?

I never really thought about it. Have you ever thought of any other Smiths songs that are closer to Morrissey's solo work?

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/07/06 at 6:10 pm

I never really thought about it. Have you ever thought of any other Smiths songs that are closer to Morrissey's solo work?

"Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me."

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/09/06 at 1:11 am

I haven't heard any of Morrissey's solo recordings. How close to the Smiths' music is it? What sort of style?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/09/06 at 1:50 am

I haven't heard any of Morrissey's solo recordings. How close to the Smiths' music is it? What sort of style?

Eh, not too close. I think that Morrissey's solo stuff is a tad rockabilly (for lack of better words and considering the solo band members, especially Gary and Alain). Yet the depressing, satirical, humorous lyrics are still there.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/09/06 at 2:08 am

1. so did your sister get sick on any of the rides today or did she do well?
2. why didn't you go?

3. Have you done anything yet that you had to be 18 years old to do?

4. Does your lip hurt?

5. what's next, another piercing or a tattoo?

1. She's on msn right now. I just asked her, and she said that she rode like, 7 roller coasters and didn't get sick!

2. I wasn't asked. The girls were each allowed to take one person. Gen took Amber, and Deidra could have taken me, but she took Jessica. No hard feelings, though. She's picked me for things a lot before.

3. Just buying cigarettes. lol Do you reccomend anything else?

4. A little. It's a bit sore. Drinking with straws and occasionally tearing my food into pieces helps XD I can't wait till it completely heals and I start changing lip rings.
5. I REALLY want a Morrissey tattoo either on my wrist or my back, but I see myself getting another piercing sonner than a tattoo. Do you have any of either? And don't you think your post should have gone to the Ask Ashley thread? lol XD

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/09/06 at 2:18 am

1. She's on msn right now. I just asked her, and she said that she rode like, 7 roller coasters and didn't get sick!

2. I wasn't asked. The girls were each allowed to take one person. Gen took Amber, and Deidra could have taken me, but she took Jessica. No hard feelings, though. She's picked me for things a lot before.

3. Just buying cigarettes. lol Do you reccomend anything else?

4. A little. It's a bit sore. Drinking with straws and occasionally tearing my food into pieces helps XD I can't wait till it completely heals and I start changing lip rings.
5. I REALLY want a Morrissey tattoo either on my wrist or my back, but I see myself getting another piercing sonner than a tattoo. Do you have any of either? And don't you think your post should have gone to the Ask Ashley thread? lol XD

:-[  I eff'd up and posted on the wrong thread, I shall move it. and will reply there, but first let me watch Philip hit 77,777 posts

Check for new replies or respond here...