inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about Chicago!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/02/06 at 7:10 pm

'Tis my hometown after all, so I hope I can answer whatever burning questions you might have about the Windy City.

Oh yes, please don't ask me questions about politics.  I don't know much about Chicago politics other than our mayor is a Democrat.

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about Chicago!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 7:42 am

Why don't you follow the Whitesox?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 10:24 am

Why don't you follow the Whitesox?

I didn't grow up on the South Side.  I grew up on the North Shore/Gold Coast, so if anything.........I should be a Cubs fan. 

However, back in '95 I got tickets to a Yankees/White Sox game and I went, and I found myself more interested in what the Yankees were doing than what the Sox were doing.  So, I just started following the team and I here I am 11 years later.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 10:42 am

I didn't grow up on the South Side.  I grew up on the North Shore/Gold Coast, so if anything.........I should be a Cubs fan. 

However, back in '95 I got tickets to a Yankees/White Sox game and I went, and I found myself more interested in what the Yankees were doing than what the Sox were doing.  So, I just started following the team and I here I am 11 years later.

But EVERYONE likes the Yankees. Don't they? Don't know that much about baseball...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:00 am

But EVERYONE likes the Yankees. Don't they? Don't know that much about baseball...

No, actually they don't.  I'm no bandwagoner and have little tolerance for people who are. 

Written By: nally on 05/03/06 at 11:12 am

Not me! ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:13 am

This thread is about Chicago, not the New York Yankees.

Written By: nally on 05/03/06 at 11:14 am

This thread is about Chicago, not the New York Yankees.

I know that. In fact, I was just going to ask you something about Chicago. I will do so in my next post. :)

Written By: nally on 05/03/06 at 11:15 am

I've only been to Chicago once, and that was 12 years ago this June. While we were there, one of the restaurant we had dinner at was "The Original A-1"...did you ever go there?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:23 am

I've only been to Chicago once, and that was 12 years ago this June. While we were there, one of the restaurant we had dinner at was "The Original A-1"...did you ever go there?

No, I can't say that I have.  To be honest, I've never even heard of it. 

Written By: nally on 05/03/06 at 11:26 am

No, I can't say that I have.  To be honest, I've never even heard of it. 

I'm surprised! :o It was in the downtown area, near the Lincoln Park area.

I'll think of some more questions...but I gotta get going now. Have a nice day, SM! ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:27 am

I'm surprised! :o It was in the downtown area, near the Lincoln Park area.

I'll think of some more questions...but I gotta get going now. Have a nice day, SM! ;)

You say was......it might not be around anymore, which would be one reason why I've never heard of it.

Written By: nally on 05/03/06 at 11:29 am

You say was......it might not be around anymore, which would be one reason why I've never heard of it.

Well it was around in '94; it could be still around or it could not be. I dunno, since I was only there in '94. I suppose it could still be around; to find out, I could do some research.

See ya later! ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/03/06 at 9:17 pm

What're the major ethnic groups and their character in Chi-Town? I get the sense Afro-American, Irish, German (sort of the general white group), Polish, and Mexican are the biggest, and Italian, Jewish, Czech, Korean, Russian, Asian Indian are smaller but still quite large.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/03/06 at 9:35 pm

Is Chicago almost like another state from the rest of Illinois?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:15 pm

What're the major ethnic groups and their character in Chi-Town? I get the sense Afro-American, Irish, German (sort of the general white group), Polish, and Mexican are the biggest, and Italian, Jewish, Czech, Korean, Russian, Asian Indian are smaller but still quite large.

We have the highest Polish population out side of Poland itself.  We also have a high Hispanic population, a high Asian population and a high African-American population.  Down on Lawrence is Koreatown, the southside is predominately black/hispanic and the northside is predominately WASP-y.  We also have a good-sized Greek population as well.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/03/06 at 11:18 pm

Is Chicago almost like another state from the rest of Illinois?

Yes it is.  It's the largest city in the state and when you hear Chicagoans talk about "downstate Illinois", they pretty much mean anything south of the city proper.  The middle of the state is a lot of agriculture/farmland and while there are some good-sized cities in there (Springfield, Urbana-Champagne), they don't approach the size of Chicago at all.  It's also very ethnicly and religiously diverse, where as the rest of state (until you get to the very southern tip and west towards St. Louis) is not. 

When you leave the city and go south (my grandmother is from Kankakee in Kankakee County; it's about 1

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 6:53 am

A bit like New Yorkers would refer to 'Upstate New York.'

I know it's not a question about Chicago specifically, but do you know much about the town of Urbana, Illinois? Have you visited it? Money-willing I might go on student exchange there the first half of next year, at the University of Illinois.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:54 pm

We have the highest Polish population out side of Poland itself.  We also have a high Hispanic population, a high Asian population and a high African-American population.  Down on Lawrence is Koreatown, the southside is predominately black/hispanic and the northside is predominately WASP-y.  We also have a good-sized Greek population as well.

I also always got the feeling some of this extends to the suburbs. Like most Jews, Asians, and WASPs seem to live in the northern suburbs, Hispanics, Italians Poles, other Eastern Europeans, Germans, etc. living in the western suburbs along with some Irish, and Irish, African-American, and Polish in the southern suburbs.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 3:23 pm

A bit like New Yorkers would refer to 'Upstate New York.'

I know it's not a question about Chicago specifically, but do you know much about the town of Urbana, Illinois? Have you visited it? Money-willing I might go on student exchange there the first half of next year, at the University of Illinois.

I've never been to Urbana-Champagne.  I know quite a few people who went to U of I there and they say it's a nice town.  It's a college town really, as there's not much else there but the University of Illinois. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 3:25 pm

I also always got the feeling some of this extends to the suburbs. Like most Jews, Asians, and WASPs seem to live in the northern suburbs, Hispanics, Italians Poles, other Eastern Europeans, Germans, etc. living in the western suburbs along with some Irish, and Irish, African-American, and Polish in the southern suburbs.

Maybe the very fringes of the suburbs closest to city limits, but not extending out completely.  And yes, the very northern suburbs are EXTREMELY white.  We'd take drives up to Kenilworth, Itasca and Evanston just to see the huge houses along the lakefront.  Really beautiful property up there, but it's not very diverse.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/05/06 at 6:10 am

Maybe the very fringes of the suburbs closest to city limits, but not extending out completely.  And yes, the very northern suburbs are EXTREMELY white.  We'd take drives up to Kenilworth, Itasca and Evanston just to see the huge houses along the lakefront.  Really beautiful property up there, but it's not very diverse.

DuPage and some of the more "urban" northern Cook County suburbs have a growing Hispanic and Polish population, I think. But the north shore is very, very white...all the '80s teen movies were set there.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:48 am

Do you plan to return to Chicago?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 3:25 pm

Do you plan to return to Chicago?

Absolutely.  As soon as I can save up enough money for the move and can find a job up there.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/05/06 at 3:30 pm

Does Chicago feel more like the West Coast, the East Coast, or a complete moderation between?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 3:40 pm

Does Chicago feel more like the West Coast, the East Coast, or a complete moderation between?

I don't know.  I've never been to the West Coast.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/05/06 at 4:13 pm

It does not feel east coast, being an east-coaster in my few days in Chicago. Everything is larger, flatter, less stuck-up, more honest, etc. It has more of a feel of "space."

Written By: nally on 05/06/06 at 12:05 am

You might enjoy it; I've lived there all my life.

Having been to Chicago once myself, it doesn't feel too much like the west coast. :-\\ That's just my point of view.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 12:08 am

You might enjoy it; I've lived there all my life.

Having been to Chicago once myself, it doesn't feel too much like the west coast. :-\\ That's just my point of view.

Nah, I'm an east-coaster all the way.  I've only lived in Georgia for 5 years now, but I've always felt more like someone who belonged on the east coast in cities like NY and Boston than in the midwest.  I want to move back to Chicago, but if I get chance to live in either NY or Boston first, I'll take it. 

And yes I know I'm a Yankee fan and I said I wanted to live in Boston, but I've been there before and it's a beautiful city, the misguided baseball fans aside.  ;)

Written By: nally on 05/06/06 at 12:09 am

Nah, I'm an east-coaster all the way.  I've only lived in Georgia for 5 years now, but I've always felt more like someone who belonged on the east coast in cities like NY and Boston than in the midwest.  I want to move back to Chicago, but if I get chance to live in either NY or Boston first, I'll take it. 

And yes I know I'm a Yankee fan and I said I wanted to live in Boston, but I've been there before and it's a beautiful city, the misguided baseball fans aside.   ;)

Hey, it's all cool. 8) Guess I'm a west-coaster all the way.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:10 am

And yes I know I'm a Yankee fan and I said I wanted to live in Boston, but I've been there before and it's a beautiful city, the misguided baseball fans aside.  ;)

We visited Boston, my dad was wearing his Yankees cap, and he got constantly jeered at.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 12:17 pm

We visited Boston, my dad was wearing his Yankees cap, and he got constantly jeered at.

I live in a house with a Sox fan, so if I can take it from him, I can take it from them. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 8:25 am

I know it's not about Chicago, it's about Baseball, actually.

In your profile you say that being a Yankees fan is a 'priviledge, not a right.' What would someone have to do to earn that priviledge?

Written By: alyceclover on 05/16/06 at 4:43 pm

How cold does it get in winter, especially the wind chill factor? What was the biggest snow storm you experienced.

Written By: RTynanDDS on 02/14/07 at 2:41 pm

I thought today would be a good day to add something to this old thread. I'm in Chicago, and it recently stopped snowing. It had been snowing since about 4PM yesterday, and we have about 10" of snow over the past couple of days. Not upstate NY numbers, but a good amount. It's 20 degrees (F) right now, and it's supposed to get down to 4 tonight. In the past couple of weeks, it has been as low as -9(F). All this with winds of 10 to 20 mph.

And I'd say this isn't too bad for winter here. I've lived here for 20 years, and this ranks maybe in the top 6 or 7. (Bottom 6 or 7? Whichever.) For large US cities, I'd say only Minneapolis is colder or snowier. The worst snow I've seen? In 1999, we had 14" of snow during a two-day period, and then about 5 or 6 days later, we got another 10 or 12" on top of it. The coldest I remember? In 1996, there was a four-day stretch where the HIGHs never got above 0 degrees.

And in the summer, it gets above 100 and is really humid.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 2:43 pm

I can only remember one time in the 19 years I lived there where the temperatures got over 100 and that was during that massive heat wave in 1995 that killed about 800 people. 

It normally is not that humid in Chicago, in fact the last few summers have been very mild compared to what I live with now here in Alpharetta. 

Written By: RTynanDDS on 02/14/07 at 3:04 pm

You're right. I wouldn't compare the humidity here with anywhere in GA. And this past summer was definitely mild, but we have had a couple of 100 degree days in the past few years, but nothing like 1995 when everyone died in the summer due to the heat, then that winter was the cold stretch I mentioned. That was a rough year, weather-wise.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/07 at 4:57 pm

Did you get snow today?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/07 at 5:38 pm

Did you get snow today?

I don't live there anymore.  But yes, they got snow.  Quite a bit, actually.  Close to a foot or more in some areas.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 12:42 am

Have you ever been to the South Side Irish parade on St. Patrick's Day?

I went to it about 5 years ago with a friend of mine who lived just outside Chicago at the time, it was awesome. All the stereotypes were there.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 1:55 am

I've never been to the South Side and I don't plan on going to the South Side.  I saw plenty of stuff about it on TV, but none in person.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 2:56 am

I've never been to the South Side and I don't plan on going to the South Side.  I saw plenty of stuff about it on TV, but none in person.
If you're ever back in Chicago during St. Paddy's Day, I highly recommend you check out this parade, it was way cool. I can't remember what street it was on or exactly what part of Chicago it was in, but it seemed like a close-knit community, almost like a small town within a big city.
  The highlight of the parade for me was when this local alderman (?) came rolling down the street in the back of this white, late-60's Cadillac convertible. He was this big, fat man who was wearing a top hat and had this great phony politician smile (and I think he might have even had one of those long FDR-style cigarette holders). I swear, you could almost smell the stink of corruption coming off this guy. He was such a perfect stereotype of a corrupt, fat cat Chicago party-machine politician that I couldn't help but start laughing.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 3:20 am

If you're ever back in Chicago during St. Paddy's Day, I highly recommend you check out this parade, it was way cool. I can't remember what street it was on or exactly what part of Chicago it was in, but it seemed like a close-knit community, almost like a small town within a big city.
  The highlight of the parade for me was when this local alderman (?) came rolling down the street in the back of this white, late-60's Cadillac convertible. He was this big, fat man who was wearing a top hat and had this great phony politician smile (and I think he might have even had one of those long FDR-style cigarette holders). I swear, you could almost smell the stink of corruption coming off this guy. He was such a perfect stereotype of a corrupt, fat cat Chicago party-machine politician that I couldn't help but start laughing.

I think that's the parade that's televised every year, if not....it sounds familiar.  Hopefully I can get back up to Chicago soon, and if I'm there around St. Patrick's Day, I'll be sure to check it out.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/07 at 2:24 pm

How are your Chicago White Sox doing these days?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 2:26 pm

Don't you just love all those toll-booths on I-294?  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/15/07 at 2:27 pm

Is Chicago really The Windy City?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 4:31 pm

How are your Chicago White Sox doing these days?

Howard, you know I'm a Yankee fan.  I don't follow the White Sox, so I have no clue how they're doing. 

Don't you just love all those toll-booths on I-294?  :P

Ack, no.  My dad hated driving it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/15/07 at 4:32 pm

Is Chicago really The Windy City?

It got its nickname because of the politicians at the time and all their "hot air", but yes, with the winds coming off the Lake at the speed they do sometimes....it really is a very windy city.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/07 at 4:48 pm

Ack, no.  My dad hated driving it.
I'll bet if he owned a brake repair shop in Chicago he'd have loved it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/16/07 at 6:44 am

Have you seen the movie Chicago?

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/16/07 at 12:13 pm

In most of the photos I've seen of Chicago the Chicago River (correct if I have the name wrong) always looks so green.  Is it always green and is there a reason why?

Written By: Howard on 02/16/07 at 2:18 pm

Does Chicago compare to any other city?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/07 at 4:22 pm

Have you seen the movie Chicago?

Yes, I have.  It's based on two true stories.

In most of the photos I've seen of Chicago the Chicago River (correct if I have the name wrong) always looks so green.  Is it always green and is there a reason why?

It's called the Chicago River.  :) 

It's green because of all the crap in it!  And because on St. Patrick's Day, we dye the river green and it has a tendency to stick around.  See, the river was re-engineered to flow backwards, instead of toward the lake .  So the stuff doesn't get washed out into Lake Michigan, it just kinda hangs around.  The old joke every year is that we don't have to dye the river, it's already that green.

Does Chicago compare to any other city?

I wouldn't know, Howard.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/16/07 at 4:32 pm

It's called the Chicago River.  :) 

It's green because of all the crap in it!  And because on St. Patrick's Day, we dye the river green and it has a tendency to stick around.  See, the river was re-engineered to flow backwards, instead of toward the lake .  So the stuff doesn't get washed out into Lake Michigan, it just kinda hangs around.  The old joke every year is that we don't have to dye the river, it's already that green.
Did you ever hear the story about how a couple years back Dave Matthews' tour bus stopped on a bridge over the Chicago River and started emptying out the "holding tank" (which contains the waste from the onboard toilet) over the side of the bridge and into the river? If that wasn't bad enough, what made matters even worse was that as soon as the driver started emptying the tank, a passenger ferry just happened to be coming down the river and the contents rained down on the poor tourists who had the incredible misfortune and ill-timing of going under the bridge at that exact moment.
  I guess Dave Matthews was cleared of any wrongdoing, but the tour bus driver was in deep doo-doo.  ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/07 at 4:35 pm

Did you ever hear the story about how a couple years back Dave Matthews' tour bus stopped on a bridge over the Chicago River and started emptying out the "holding tank" (which contains the waste from the onboard toilet) over the side of the bridge and into the river? If that wasn't bad enough, what made matters even worse was that as soon as the driver started emptying the tank, a passenger ferry just happened to be coming down the river and the contents rained down on the poor tourists who had the incredible misfortune and ill-timing of going under the bridge at that exact moment.
  I guess Dave Matthews was cleared of any wrongdoing, but the tour bus driver was in deep doo-doo.  ::)

Oh yeah, that was all over the news.  We get WGN on our digital cable system down here, so we were following that as it was going along.

That was so gross....if I had been on that boat, I would have thrown up immediately.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/16/07 at 6:36 pm

If you're a true Chicagoan, then you should be able to complete this familiar jingle:

"Five-eight-eight, two-three hundred...__________?"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/07 at 6:39 pm

If you're a true Chicagoan, then you should be able to complete this familiar jingle:

Empire!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/16/07 at 6:48 pm

Empire!
I knew you'd get it!  ;D

A few weeks back I was watching Conan O'Brien who was doing his show in Chicago, and he brought out the Empire Carpets guy (or at least a look-a-like), then Conan said "Everybody now!" and the whole audience sang in unison, "588-2300, Empire!" I about laughed my ass off.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/07 at 10:21 pm

I love that commercial.  ;D

Written By: MLB on 02/22/07 at 12:26 am

ever lost a visiting friend on the brown line downtown??  My friend misplaced me and I travelled back up town to her apt. on my own in evening rushhour too. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 12:41 am

ever lost a visiting friend on the brown line downtown??  My friend misplaced me and I travelled back up town to her apt. on my own in evening rushhour too. ::)

No, I never have.  I rode the brown line a lot when we moved over on Kimball.

And evening rush hour on the train is no biggie.  I'd do that constantly when I was in school.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 6:08 am

How's the commute in Chicago?

Written By: La Roche on 02/22/07 at 6:17 am

Can you believe they let me stay in The Palmer House?

;D

Written By: RTynanDDS on 02/22/07 at 12:07 pm

What was the name of your neighborhood and how did it change over the years while you were there? I've lived in about seven or eight neighborhoods on the north side, and I moved out of all of them because they got gentrified and expensive. Or maybe I did ...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 4:35 pm

How's the commute in Chicago?

It depends on the time of day and where you are, Howard.

What was the name of your neighborhood and how did it change over the years while you were there? I've lived in about seven or eight neighborhoods on the north side, and I moved out of all of them because they got gentrified and expensive. Or maybe I did ...

I lived in Logan Square and then we moved to Albany Park.  The rest of that, I don't know.

Written By: RTynanDDS on 02/22/07 at 5:11 pm

Great neighborhoods. Albany Park is beautiful. I live west of Logan Square now, and I work just east of it.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 5:19 pm

Is the group Chicago from Chicago? ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/22/07 at 5:34 pm

Is the group Chicago from Chicago? ;D

Yes Howard, they are.  The original band name was Chicago Transit Authority, but naturally the CTA made them change it.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/27/07 at 2:43 pm

My husband has a possible job opportunity in Chicago.  Do you reccommend moving there?  What are the winters like?  Can you tell me the best and worst things about living there?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 2:49 pm

My husband has a possible job opportunity in Chicago.  Do you reccommend moving there?  What are the winters like?  Can you tell me the best and worst things about living there?

I absolutely recommend moving there, I love it.  There are a TON of things to do there, you will never get bored.  The winters can be brutal, I won't lie.  It's right on the lake, so lake effect snow is your biggest problem.  That and the winds.  They come up off the lake, sweep down the buildings and then back up again, so when it's cold, it feels like knives are stabbing your face.  We get snow, sometimes in mass quantities, other times not.  It depends on how warm/cold the season has been so far. 

Best things about living there.....the museums.  Art Museum, Chicago Historical Society, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, Natural History Museum....I could go on.  Also, Navy Pier.  On a hot summer day, nothing is better than going down to the Pier and relaxing.  It's pretty at night with the skyline lit up.  The transit system is tops.  You can literally go anywhere in the city on some combination of bus or train.  You really don't need a car to live in the city. 

Worst things about living there....traffic.  We have one of the best public transportation systems in the country, but with the amount of traffic congestion, you'd think no one uses it.  The winters can be brutal, especially if you don't like cold.  We may not get the amount of snow that some other places get, but the cold can be just as bad. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/27/07 at 3:30 pm

Have you ever been to the top of the Sears Tower?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/27/07 at 3:33 pm

Quite a few times, but I was young when I went.  I probably haven't been up there in close to 15 years.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/28/07 at 12:58 pm

I absolutely recommend moving there, I love it.  There are a TON of things to do there, you will never get bored.  The winters can be brutal, I won't lie.  It's right on the lake, so lake effect snow is your biggest problem.  That and the winds.  They come up off the lake, sweep down the buildings and then back up again, so when it's cold, it feels like knives are stabbing your face.  We get snow, sometimes in mass quantities, other times not.  It depends on how warm/cold the season has been so far. 

Best things about living there.....the museums.  Art Museum, Chicago Historical Society, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, Natural History Museum....I could go on.  Also, Navy Pier.  On a hot summer day, nothing is better than going down to the Pier and relaxing.  It's pretty at night with the skyline lit up.  The transit system is tops.  You can literally go anywhere in the city on some combination of bus or train.  You really don't need a car to live in the city. 

Worst things about living there....traffic.  We have one of the best public transportation systems in the country, but with the amount of traffic congestion, you'd think no one uses it.  The winters can be brutal, especially if you don't like cold.  We may not get the amount of snow that some other places get, but the cold can be just as bad. 

The winters are the biggest obstacle for me.  I am just not a winter person...at all, so I don't know how I would feel about living there.  It also gets a lot colder there than it does here.  I would love to live in a big city though, and everyone I know that has been to Chicago says it's wonderful.  The museums sound fabulous...how cool would it be to be so close to all of them?  *sigh*  Maybe I'll just leave it up to my husband...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/28/07 at 12:59 pm

John Hancock > Sears Tower :)

Except for the part where they make you pay for drinks if you sit down to enjoy the view.  That sucks :P

Written By: Howard on 02/28/07 at 2:26 pm

How's the traffic in Chicago?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/28/07 at 3:49 pm

How's the traffic in Chicago?

It SUCKS.  That's why I don't drive in unless I absolutely have to.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/28/07 at 3:58 pm

It SUCKS.  That's why I don't drive in unless I absolutely have to.

Thank you.  I think I've mentioned the traffic before.

Written By: Midas on 03/01/07 at 9:45 pm

Did you ever (or ever want to) get on The Bozo Show?  I tried that Grand Prize Game at some function at school when I was a kid.  That game's hard when you're only 5.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 10:52 pm

Did you ever (or ever want to) get on The Bozo Show?  I tried that Grand Prize Game at some function at school when I was a kid.  That game's hard when you're only 5.

I had absolutely no desire to have anything to do with it.  I never even watched it much, to my recollection.  I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV at that age.  I was allowed to watch some cartoons and PBS.  That was it.

Written By: Midas on 03/01/07 at 11:18 pm

I had absolutely no desire to have anything to do with it.  I never even watched it much, to my recollection.  I wasn't allowed to watch that much TV at that age.  I was allowed to watch some cartoons and PBS.  That was it.

I lived in Boulder Hill 60538 'til I was 5 and mostly watched cartoons on WGN and stuff on PBS.  Ray Rayner used to have a kids show with lots of  cartoons and I liked that better than Bozo.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/01/07 at 11:23 pm

I lived in Boulder Hill 60538 'til I was 5 and mostly watched cartoons on WGN and stuff on PBS.  Ray Rayner used to have a kids show with lots of  cartoons and I liked that better than Bozo.

The only time I would watch Bozo was during the Christmas season, because they'd air those cartoon shorts; Hard Rock, Coco and Jo, Suzy Snowflake and Frosty The Snowman.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/07 at 6:22 am

What was your favorite shows growing up?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/07 at 2:43 pm

What was your favorite shows growing up?

Chicago has the same TV that everyone else does, Howard.  I watched cartoons and PBS when I was a kid, and watched whatever else was on TV when I was older.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/07 at 6:44 am

Chicago has the same TV that everyone else does, Howard.  I watched cartoons and PBS when I was a kid, and watched whatever else was on TV when I was older.

So,you don't have a favorite? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 12:02 pm

So,you don't have a favorite? ???

No Howard, I don't.  Like I said, I didn't watch enough TV as a kid to really have a favorite.  My parents made me do other things aside from vegging out in front of the TV.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/07 at 2:22 pm

No Howard, I don't.  Like I said, I didn't watch enough TV as a kid to really have a favorite.  My parents made me do other things aside from vegging out in front of the TV.

So your Parents always wanted you to keep busy?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/03/07 at 3:41 pm

So your Parents always wanted you to keep busy?

That is the point, Howard.

Check for new replies or respond here...