inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To people outside the US: what things about the American accent sound funny?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 4:51 pm

Subject: Re: To people outside the US: what things about the American accent sound funny?

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 6:18 pm

The only thing that makes me laugh is the use of the word 'bum' or 'bumming about' to describe 'tramps' or hanging around, lol - probably in the same immature way you misinterpret the way we use the word fags, lol.

Subject: Re: To people outside the US: what things about the American accent sound funny?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/06/06 at 6:32 pm

The only thing that makes me laugh is the use of the word 'bum' or 'bumming about' to describe 'tramps' or hanging around, lol - probably in the same immature way you misinterpret the way we use the word fags, lol.

And the word rubber.  And the phrase "knock you up". 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 12:59 am

I hear the American so often on TV, yet rarely actually speak to Americans in real life, so what I get is mostly from TV. I just thinks like referring to sh*t as 'poop' lol, reminds me of Billy Madison - 'he called the sh*t poop!'. The way they pronounce, 'yeah' as ya...um, they tend to talk faster than Australians in general...

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/07/06 at 5:44 am

Hence the reason my stupid ex husband (from the UK) had the life belted out of him when he walked into a New York night club and told the doorman he "just needed to pop in and bum a fag" !!!!!!!!!!  he never made that mistake again.  ;)

The one that always annoys me - is why americans feel the need to say AL LOOM IN UM - despite the fact that its clearly spelt
ALUMINIUM and the rest of the world pronounces it AL UM IN EE UM.

And why they removed the U out of most words - colour, favourite etc etc. I actually saw a doco about the reasons why they did it (back in the pilgrim days) and wish I taped it because I have forgotten all the reasons now !! if it ever gets repeated I will let you all know !

Other that that I have never had any problems understanding my american friends and when I lived there they had no difficulties understanding me. Thos they felt I spoke to fast for them to keep up - which is hilarious because I tell Aussie fast talkers off because I can never catch all the words they say. I work with a girl that could make the Guinness Book of Records for how fast she can speak.

I have to say tho - the boston accent would definately be the most ummmm (how to say it without potentially offending someone) - grating/annoying ?? Everytime there is a contestant on Survivor from Boston I want to shoot them each time they open their mouth !!!!!! I mean it could just be that they are creeps - but so far the creeps have come from Boston !!!!  Borrrrrstorrrrrrrrrn Rorrrrrrrrb was the worst !

And the ones I love the most - Texan boys, Montana boys, and my friend in Alabama - she has the most divine accent.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 6:30 am

Never been to the U.S. so I couldn't really compare the various accents first-hand. I can sort of recognise the Borstan accent, though...

Written By: danootaandme on 05/07/06 at 6:52 am

You have to say which accent though, there are dozens, maybe hundreds. There is Boston, (English or Irish, there is a difference), New York(Long Island, Bronx, Little Italy, Manhattan), Maine(downeaster). In the South there is a marked difference between Virginia, Mississippi, and Louisiana.  So on and so on.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/07/06 at 10:19 am

"England and America are two countries seperated by a common language.".. George Bernard Shaw

No truer words have been spoken. Different words common meaning.

British:              American:

Trainers .........  Sneakers
Nappy............  Diapers
Bonnet..........  Car Hood
Boot.............    Car Trunk
Chemist.........  Pharmacist
Rasher...........  Bacon Slice
Pram.............  Baby Carriage
Waist Coat.....  Vest
Crisp.............    Potato Chips
Estate Car......  Station Wagon

These are just a few.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/07/06 at 10:39 am

Hence the reason my stupid ex husband (from the UK) had the life belted out of him when he walked into a New York night club and told the doorman he "just needed to pop in and bum a fag" !!!!!!!!!!  he never made that mistake again.  ;)

The one that always annoys me - is why americans feel the need to say AL LOOM IN UM - despite the fact that its clearly spelt
ALUMINIUM and the rest of the world pronounces it AL UM IN EE UM.

And why they removed the U out of most words - colour, favourite etc etc. I actually saw a doco about the reasons why they did it (back in the pilgrim days) and wish I taped it because I have forgotten all the reasons now !! if it ever gets repeated I will let you all know !

Other that that I have never had any problems understanding my american friends and when I lived there they had no difficulties understanding me. Thos they felt I spoke to fast for them to keep up - which is hilarious because I tell Aussie fast talkers off because I can never catch all the words they say. I work with a girl that could make the Guinness Book of Records for how fast she can speak.

I have to say tho - the boston accent would definately be the most ummmm (how to say it without potentially offending someone) - grating/annoying ?? Everytime there is a contestant on Survivor from Boston I want to shoot them each time they open their mouth !!!!!! I mean it could just be that they are creeps - but so far the creeps have come from Boston !!!!  Borrrrrstorrrrrrrrrn Rorrrrrrrrb was the worst !

And the ones I love the most - Texan boys, Montana boys, and my friend in Alabama - she has the most divine accent.

I don't know.......why do you say LA BORE AH TORY when we say LAB RAH TORY?  It's spelled the same way no matter who says it.  It doesn't make the way you say it right, the way we say it wrong or vice versa.

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/06 at 11:19 am

Actually Aluminium is supposed to be al-um-in-um.

Think Magnesium, Pottasium, Sodium etc.

It was bastardized somewhere along the way.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/06 at 1:04 pm

Bum bags versus Fanny Packs    ;D ;D ;D

that term always amuses me, mind you 'bum bag' is equally daft 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/06 at 4:25 pm

I have to say tho - the boston accent would definately be the most ummmm (how to say it without potentially offending someone) - grating/annoying ?? Everytime there is a contestant on Survivor from Boston I want to shoot them each time they open their mouth !!!!!!

Gotta agree with you there. I used to live in Mass. and man, it was rough listening to it ALL THE TIME (no offense to our friends from the Bay State-I do like the state-just not the accent). But when I lived in Oklahoma, listening to their accents was just as bad.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/07/06 at 5:01 pm

^Well I guess if we ever meet the best thing for me to do is to keep it shut.  When I speak everyone knows where I am from.  Actually, kinda weird, a couple of times, in California, I was asked if I was frorm England.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/06 at 5:59 pm

^Well I guess if we ever meet the best thing for me to do is to keep it shut.  When I speak everyone knows where I am from.  Actually, kinda weird, a couple of times, in California, I was asked if I was frorm England.

Don't worry about it. In fact, one of our poker buddies is from Mass and yes, he does have an accent. I can handle it in small doses.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/07/06 at 6:58 pm

You have to say which accent though, there are dozens, maybe hundreds. There is Boston, (English or Irish, there is a difference), New York(Long Island, Bronx, Little Italy, Manhattan), Maine(downeaster). In the South there is a marked difference between Virginia, Mississippi, and Louisiana.  So on and so on.

Don't forget Philly and Jersey accents as well as Minnesota

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 10:34 pm

Don't forget Philly and Jersey accents as well as Minnesota

And Baltimore, Chee-cah-gah, Detroit, etc. I love my Jersey accent!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 11:49 pm

The two main US accents are the so-called Midwest accent, spoken in the Western US and the southern Midwest, and the Southern accent, spoken in the southeastern 1/5 of the country.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:21 am

The three main accents are supposed to be 'General/Northern Midwest' (they are broadly similar), 'Southern' and 'New England.'

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 6:00 am

"England and America are two countries seperated by a common language.".. George Bernard Shaw

Trainers .........   Sneakers
Nappy............   Diapers
Bonnet..........   Car Hood
Chemist.........   Pharmacist
Rasher...........   Bacon Slice
Pram.............   Baby Carriage
Waist Coat.....   Vest
Estate Car......   Station Wagon

These are just a few.

IOt gets even worse where a word you use means something totally diiferent here like chips or vest.

Written By: Gis on 05/08/06 at 8:30 am

I about died laughing when an American male collegue said he wore 'suspenders' especially when I found out he meant what we in England call 'braces' ie to hold your trousers up.

As to the American accent what annoys me the most is all the little white English boys speaking Gangsta copying American rap artists.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 8:37 am

One I must add is this..

"Can I aks you a question."

No, you may not, you may drown in a pool of festering stagnating possum vomit you filthy little street urchin.

Written By: KKay on 05/08/06 at 8:39 am

One I must add is this..

"Can I aks you a question."

No, you may not, you may drown in a pool of festering stagnating possum vomit you filthy little street urchin.

uuuurrrrrrrghhhh! I HATE that!!!

i'm surrounded by that.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 8:43 am

uuuurrrrrrrghhhh! I HATE that!!!

i'm surrounded by that.

Same here.

Another one I hate is..

"s'up"

Look.. I'm all for being informal, but Hi, Hey, Yo, What's up?, How's it going, these are all acceptable, not a monosylabic grunt "s'up"

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 2:34 pm

Most people don't say "s'up"...

The US accents are:
Southern-Tidewater
              Carolinas
              Deep South
              New Orleans
              Upper South
              "Mountains"
              Gullah
              Texas (varies)
There are also southern racial, class variants, etc.
Northern-New England (Boston) (varies based on ethnicity, class, etc.)
            Rhode Island (ditto)
            Upstate New England
            Vermont
            Brooklyn/Staten Island
            Queens/Long Island
            Bronx/Westchester County
            North Jersey
            South Jersey
            Delmarva Peninsula
            Bawlmer
            Philly
            Pennsylvania Dutch
            Hudson River Valley
            Upstate New York
Midwestern-Chee-caw-gah (difference between North, S. and W. sides)
                Rural Great Lakes region
                Cleveland
                Detroit (varies from N., W., E. sides)
                Lansing
                Grand Rapids
                St. Louis
                Milwaukee
                Rural Wisconsin (German-influenced)
                Rural Minnesota/Dakota (Scandie-influenced)
                Rural Great Plains (the absolute most typical accent out there)
Western-Western mountains
            Arizona/New Mexico (varies by race)
            N. California
            S. California
            California central valley
            Pacific Northwest

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/06 at 2:59 pm

I once knew a guy who could tell what state someone was from by their accent. It wasn't "Oh, you must be from the south" or "You must be from New England." It was more like, "Oh, you are from California" or "You are from Mississippi". Sometimes he could tell exactly what part of the state people are from. I was impressed.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/06 at 3:15 pm

Here are some words we use in Canada, and I am curious if any of these words are used in the American English Language, or any other English Language around the world?

Chesterfield ... A term for a sofa, couch or a loveseat

Click ... slang term for a kilometre

Anglophone ... Someone who speaks English as a first language

Parkade ... A parking garage

Poutine ... French Fries topped with cheese curds and gravy

Runners ... A term for Running Shoes and/or sneakers

Biffy ... an outdoor toilet located over a septic tank

Keener ... an enthusiastic student

Sniggler ... someone who does something that isn't deemed wrong, but it either inconveniences you, or annoys you.  ie: that guy took my parking spot

Toboggan ... A long, flat (usually wooden) sled that curves up in the front, and has handrails at the sides and a rope in the front

Humidex ... the combined effect of heat and humidity on temperatures

Tuque (also can be spelled Toque or Touque) ... A winter hat

Eavestrough ... Grooves or channels, that are attached to the underside of a building's roof, to collect rainwater.  Also known in America as a gutter

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/06 at 3:30 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 4:14 pm

I once knew a guy who could tell what state someone was from by their accent. It wasn't "Oh, you must be from the south" or "You must be from New England." It was more like, "Oh, you are from California" or "You are from Mississippi". Sometimes he could tell exactly what part of the state people are from. I was impressed.

Cat

That is damn cool. You're from everywhere, so what is your accent the most like? I can always tell people's accents if they're from the Northeast, what part they're from, and I can recognize Chicago, Minnesota, L.A., and PNW accents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/06 at 4:33 pm

That is damn cool. You're from everywhere, so what is your accent the most like? I can always tell people's accents if they're from the Northeast, what part they're from, and I can recognize Chicago, Minnesota, L.A., and PNW accents.

Every now and again you can hear my "Hudson Valley" accent come out. We were visiting some friends who were living in Poughkeepsie at the time. My step-daughter came with us. I made a comment about their dog and she looked at me and said, "You're are getting an accent." I looked at her and said, "Getting? Where have you been?"  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 5:47 pm

Poutine ... French Fries topped with cheese curds and gravy

Okay, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/08/06 at 5:50 pm

I can't stand hearing "ant" for "aunt"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 5:57 pm

Saying "aunt" makes people sound pretentious, IMO.  The same as saying "vahz" instead of "vayse" or "bahzil" instead of saying "bayzil". 

It makes you sound like you're trying to sound more sophisiticated, rich, upper-crust.....stuff like that.  I hate it. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/06 at 6:09 pm

I very rarely ever hear it pronounced, "aunt".....everybody I know says, "ant".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 7:19 pm

Do you have a Picksburgh accent? I'm trying to think on what words my accent comes out on. Definitely "all, call", and some local words, like "Orange" and "Caldwell", it's pretty strong.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 7:27 pm

Do you have a Picksburgh accent? I'm trying to think on what words my accent comes out on. Definitely "all, call", and some local words, like "Orange" and "Caldwell", it's pretty strong.

Wash is pronounced "Warsh", I think that's from around Pittsburgh as well.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 7:28 pm

Same here, aunt is prnounced "ant". Awwwnt or whatever sounds very odd to me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/06 at 7:34 pm

no, I don't have a Pittsburgh accent....but I do catch myself saying certain phrases that are from the area.

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/06 at 7:42 pm

Okay, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

It may not sound that appealing, it might not even look that appealing either, but Poutine tastes sooo good  :)

http://accordionguy.blogware.com/Photos/2004/12/poutine.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 10:46 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 10:51 pm

Saying "aunt" makes people sound pretentious, IMO.  The same as saying "vahz" instead of "vayse" or "bahzil" instead of saying "bayzil". 

Unless you actually know how to speak properly.

I always say Ant.

And Vaze.

and Bazil.

??? It's how you say them, I'd laugh like a loon if somebody said Bayzil, I'd think they were sheeshtin me.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 10:56 pm

Unless you actually know how to speak properly.

I always say Ant.

And Vaze.

and Bazil.

??? It's how you say them, I'd laugh like a loon if somebody said Bayzil, I'd think they were sheeshtin me.

I've always pronounced it Bayzil.  I've never heard it pronounced any other way.  It's always a "z" sound on the "s".  As with the word "vase", I don't pronounce it with a "z" sound, I pronounce it with more of a soft "c" sound. 

The only times I've heard it pronounced differently were in movies/TV where people were either British or pretending to be rich and putting on an affectation.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 11:10 pm

I've always pronounced it Bayzil.  I've never heard it pronounced any other way.  It's always a "z" sound on the "s".  As with the word "vase", I don't pronounce it with a "z" sound, I pronounce it with more of a soft "c" sound. 

The only times I've heard it pronounced differently were in movies/TV where people were either British or pretending to be rich and putting on an affectation.

As I say, I've never heard it that way.

I know people who say Vayse. That's fine.

But Bayzil?

No, it's like the name, Bazil.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 11:13 pm

As I say, I've never heard it that way.

I know people who say Vayse. That's fine.

But Bayzil?

No, it's like the name, Bazil.

I've never heard it pronounced like that in the United States.  Like I said, I've heard the Brits say it that way (Graham Kerr used to say it like that on his cooking show), but I've never heard an American say that.  It's Bayzil over here.  Watch any cooking show on the Food Network and any chef making basil pesto or a basil and tomato salad will not pronounce it like the first name.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 11:15 pm

Yea that's how I pronounce Vase, kind of like vayse. Vahze is too uppity sounding too me, lol. Bazil, I say Bayzil as well.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/08/06 at 11:18 pm

Yea that's how I pronounce Vase, kind of like vayse. Vahze is too uppity sounding too me, lol. Bazil, I say Bayzil as well.

Are you in the States?  If so, that's why.  In England, Basil is a first name, and they pronounce the herb and the name the same way.  We don't.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/08/06 at 11:28 pm

Are you in the States?  If so, that's why.  In England, Basil is a first name, and they pronounce the herb and the name the same way.  We don't.

Yea I'm in Ohio.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/09/06 at 3:27 pm

We always said Basil for the name (like Rathbone and Fawlty) and "bayzil" for the herb.  If I told people I had Basil in the garden, they would wonder what John Cleese was doing there  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/06 at 10:25 am

Guilty.  :-[

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/06 at 5:25 am

Guilty.  :-[

Cat

That's ok.  I forgive stuff like that in people who are otherwise cool.  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/11/06 at 7:22 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/06 at 10:48 am

That's ok.  I forgive stuff like that in people who are otherwise cool.  ;D

Awwww. Thanks. And applause.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 5:28 am

I pronounce it 'vahs' and 'ba-sil' like the name.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 5:29 am

I don't know.......why do you say LA BORE AH TORY when we say LAB RAH TORY?  It's spelled the same way no matter who says it.  It doesn't make the way you say it right, the way we say it wrong or vice versa.

Yeah that one is more a person to person pronounciation than a country to country one. Cos I say "LAB ROR TORY" but I hear friends and family saying it all three ways.

We always said Basil for the name (like Rathbone and Fawlty) and "bayzil" for the herb.  If I told people I had Basil in the garden, they would wonder what John Cleese was doing there  ;D

I have always said "Basil" for both the name (tho when calling out for a guy one must ensure one shrieks it in the Sybil way !!) and basil for the herb. It seems to be only in recent years I have heard TV chefs saying Bayzil.

Same with oregano. Its always been ORI GARNO to most people I know. But in the US I heard it pronounced "OREG EN O"

Actually Aluminium is supposed to be al-um-in-um.

Think Magnesium, Pottasium, Sodium etc.

It was bastardized somewhere along the way.

Supposed to be ? only by those who mispronounced it !!  Are you telling me you also mispronounce the IUM in the other three ? So you say MAG NES UM, POTT AS UM, SOD UM ??  Cos everyone else says MAG NES E UM, POTT AS E UM, and SOD E UM.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 5:34 am

Yeah that one is more a person to person pronounciation than a country to country one. Cos I say "LAB ROR TORY" but I hear friends and family saying it all three ways.

I have always said "Basil" for both the name (tho when calling out for a guy one must ensure one shrieks it in the Sybil way !!) and basil for the herb. It seems to be only in recent years I have heard TV chefs saying Bayzil.

Same with oregano. Its always been ORI GARNO to most people I know. But in the US I heard it pronounced "OREG EN O"

I believe it's spelt 'Laboratory' - not Labrotory...that's why I say LA-BOR-A-TORY.

Same with 'battery.' I pronounce it the 'American' way - BAT-er-RY, not 'Battry', as if there's no e.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/13/06 at 5:37 am

Supposed to be ? only by those who mispronounced it !!  Are you telling me you also mispronounce the IUM in the other three ? So you say MAG NES UM, POTT AS UM, SOD UM ??  Cos everyone else says MAG NES E UM, POTT AS E UM, and SOD E UM.

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: La Roche on 05/13/06 at 10:50 am

I was referring to the end of the word.

AL-UM-IN-UM
MAG-NES-I-UM
SO-DIUM
POTTAS-IUM

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/28/06 at 8:45 pm

Out of all the ones you listed - click is used here a lot - I often say "I had to walk a couple of clicks to get there" etc. And yep in the snow we play on toboggans.

Not that we have much snow over here  ::)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/29/06 at 2:23 am

Not that we have much snow over here  ::)

Would you like me to send you pictures of me tobogganing in snow in Australia ? Maybe you should try travelling a bit - get out of Perth and see some other places in your own country. Live a little - experience the weather somewhere else. That way you would get over this bizarre obsession you have with the apparent (yet incorrect) assumption that it doesnt snow here.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 3:33 am

Would you like me to send you pictures of me tobogganing in snow in Australia ? Maybe you should try travelling a bit - get out of Perth and see some other places in your own country. Live a little - experience the weather somewhere else. That way you would get over this bizarre obsession you have with the apparent (yet incorrect) assumption that it doesnt snow here.

Of course it snows in Australia - duh (in the Snowy Mountains, for one), I'm just making the perfectly CORRECT assertion that it's never snowed in the CBD of Perth (I don't count the 'snowfall' of 1979 seen from an office tower on St. George's Terrace). I've travelled a bit throughout this country (unfortunately never been to the Aussie Alps in wintertime), and I probably know more about Australian weather than almost anyone else I know.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:28 am

Trainers .........  Sneakers
Nappy............  Diapers
Bonnet..........  Car Hood
Chemist.........  Pharmacist
Rasher...........  Bacon Slice
Pram.............  Baby Carriage
Waist Coat.....  Vest
Estate Car......  Station Wagon

These are just a few.

Of course Australian English is much closer to English English, but we probably have more Americanisms than them, like we sometimes call guys 'dudes', we have 'dinner'etc. Other than that we use almost all the British sayings.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/05/06 at 1:42 am

Growing up I did know that Southerners and New Englanders had an accent, but I always thought there was a common American speech (Which according to the "Daily Show" is Nebraskian). Then a long time friend from a certain country north of here ask if I could make a DVD recording of some of the local TV, as well as shots of the local terrain. Suddenly seeing my region and country through the eyes of a nonlocal opened my eyes. I realized that there were so many different accents, cultures, and terrains here in the US. Now I know why when I moved from Arizona to Lansing, Michigan as a kid they asked why I talked funny. Our local accent (which I really didn't notice until making the video) is unique because for one thing it likes to insert the "vowel + rrr" sound in almost every word.    

The Phili accent is often brought up in this thread (and on that Hardee's commerial). There's one I've notice only on programs dealing with Rural Pennsylvannia that has a unique accent which (I don;t mean this as an insult) sounds like Elmer Fudd. This might be a result of the Pennsylvanna Dutch (German).

And these accents are just the divsions of the EuropeanAmerican cultures. You have totally different accents with the different minorities like the African and Latino American communities. However it's surprising how quickly Asian Americans will quickly adapt the White accents, even adopting Southern one's to a tee.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/05/06 at 12:15 pm

When I watch Cash in the Attic on BBC America, I love how the English pronouce "garage" as in "gar- Ridge". Here we pronouce it "Ger-oshe".

Cat

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 3:25 am

When I watch Cash in the Attic on BBC America, I love how the English pronouce "garage" as in "gar- Ridge". Here we pronouce it "Ger-oshe".

Cat

That depends on where you are from.  I always say garridge.  My daughter had a story book tape and the reader pronounced it ga-rahge so she would tell me off if I read the story and pronounced it my way!

Written By: Paul on 06/06/06 at 6:46 am

Not only that, but we can pronounce things differently within a few hundred miles!

For example, I pronounce 'bath' and 'grass' with an 'ar' sound for the 'a'...

karen will (I daresay) pronounce it with a shortned 'a'...

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 6:51 am

Not only that, but we can pronounce things differently within a few hundred miles!

For example, I pronounce 'bath' and 'grass' with an 'ar' sound for the 'a'...

karen will (I daresay) pronounce it with a shortned 'a'...

Yep!  I'm waiting to see how my children decide to pronounce it given that my husband says grarse

Written By: Paul on 06/06/06 at 6:59 am

Yep!  I'm waiting to see how my children decide to pronounce it given that my husband says grarse

Ooh...possibly a bit of friction, there!

(Yet, strangely, I always pronounce 'Glasgow' with a short 'a'...)

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 7:05 am

Ooh...possibly a bit of friction, there!

He's already got them prouncing words like mug and bus his way.  >:(

(Yet, strangely, I always pronounce 'Glasgow' with a short 'a'...)

What about master?  Someone I used to work with got annoyed at his mum.  She said everything with the short 'a' except for master for some strange reason!

Written By: Paul on 06/06/06 at 7:11 am

He's already got them prouncing words like mug and bus his way.   >:(

Heh!

A friend of mine moved to Lincoln last year and amazingly, he's already started picking up some pronounciation...most noticeably, the word 'but'...

What about master?  Someone I used to work with got annoyed at his mum.  She said everything with the short 'a' except for master for some strange reason!

Very odd (then again, so's my 'Glasgow'!)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/06/06 at 7:59 am

One pet hate I have about how Americans speak is how they always say, 'Get off of me!' When it should be 'Get off me.' Off always means to get off.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 10:17 am

He's already got them prouncing words like mug and bus his way.  >:(

Mag, Bas.

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 10:28 am

Mag, Bas.

Is that how you say them or how he says them?

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 10:36 am

Is that how you say them or how he says them?

How I say them.

Gr-ass.
Ba-th.
Mag a' tea.

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 10:37 am

How I say them.

Gr-ass.
Ba-th.
Mag a' tea.

A strange combination of accents then.

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 10:39 am

A strange combination of accents then.

You've heard me.

My old man is from the East End.
My mother is from Montana.

Growing up they both had their own accents and said different words and I picked them up.

Written By: karen on 06/06/06 at 10:41 am

You've heard me.

My old man is from the East End.
My mother is from Montana.

Growing up they both had their own accents and said different words and I picked them up.

You could invent a whole new raft of Cockney rhyming slang!

Written By: La Roche on 06/06/06 at 10:42 am

You could invent a whole new raft of Cockney rhyming slang!

Sure, why not.

Whenever I would go to funerals down there, the way some of those people spoke..

I thought my old man spoke a bit funny, but growing up I'd learnt to understand whatever he'd meant. I was lost when some of them were speaking to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...