inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about NASA missions and astronauts-

Written By: KKay on 05/07/06 at 9:29 am

and perhaps why I'm such a geek.

I particularly like reading abuot the Apollo missions and the lives of astronauts.  If I dont have your answer, I bet I can find it among my souveniers.

Subject: Re: Ask me about NASA missions and astronauts-

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/06 at 11:20 am

Serious question.

If one were to need to drop a huge load in space.

Where would one deposit such material?

Written By: KKay on 05/07/06 at 11:38 am

to begin, here is a picture of the fecal bag
http://www.nasm.edu/GALLERIES/ATTM/atmimages/99-15161-8.f.jpg

Written By: La Roche on 05/07/06 at 11:48 am

to begin, here is a picture of the fecal bag
http://www.nasm.edu/GALLERIES/ATTM/atmimages/99-15161-8.f.jpg

Wow!

I'm so happy I don't live in the sky.

Written By: KKay on 05/07/06 at 12:36 pm

here is a good summary of the beginning of the evolution of waste management in space...
to this day the bacterial eating at the feces flaots off in the zero gravity...ewww...

Human waste has bedeviled NASA engineers from the get-go. Alan Shepard's first 15-minute suborbital flight was so short that no one thought to install a urine receptacle in his space suit. At T-minus 15 minutes, an electrical problem caused an 86-minute delay on the launchpad. Shepard's bladder soon reached the bursting point, and he radioed the first-ever "Houston, we have a problem" message. After some deliberation, mission control had an answer: "Do it in the suit."

Gemini and Apollo astronauts wore plastic bags taped to their buttocks. After defecation, the crew member was required to seal the bag and knead it, mixing in a liquid-bactericide to provide the desired degree of "feces stabilization." The first men to walk on the moon stepped onto the lunar surface wearing astrodiapers - undershorts layered with absorbent material. Which may explain all the jumping up and down.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 8:51 am

If one were to vomit in one's helmet.

What would happen?

Written By: KKay on 05/08/06 at 9:18 am

If one were to vomit in one's helmet.

What would happen?

well, first...why it's so dangerous? the astronaut can choke on the particles, or faint or die from inhaling the fumes from the vomit...it will interfere with his visor, and clog ventinlation tubes. 
Weightlessness causes lots of problems to your digestive system...
so it's happeneing all the time.
there is, as fas as I know a hole that sucks waste into temporary storage...but the hope is that they simply will not get sick.

Written By: La Roche on 05/08/06 at 9:28 am

well, first...why it's so dangerous? the astronaut can choke on the particles, or faint or die from inhaling the fumes from the vomit...it will interfere with his visor, and clog ventinlation tubes. 
Weightlessness causes lots of problems to your digestive system...
so it's happeneing all the time.
there is, as fas as I know a hole that sucks waste into temporary storage...but the hope is that they simply will not get sick.

You can die from inhaling the fumes?

Does that work even if you're not in a space suit?

Written By: KKay on 05/08/06 at 9:43 am

You can die from inhaling the fumes?

Does that work even if you're not in a space suit?

dunno...
and i aint goonna try it.
ew.

Written By: babieblugurl on 05/08/06 at 2:26 pm

i posted this in another but maybe u can tell me...why is it that an astroid is in the hemosphere and a hemorrhoid is on ur ass? ;D

Written By: KKay on 05/08/06 at 3:23 pm

i posted this in another but maybe u can tell me...why is it that an astroid is in the hemosphere and a hemorrhoid is on ur ass? ;D

Hysterical...and i ask your permission to let me use that line!

Now work in "Uranus" in there and I'll dub you comic genius....
(i'll go back and give you applause too!!) :)

Written By: danootaandme on 05/08/06 at 4:31 pm

Why do you think Gus Grissom blew that hatch prematurely?  He said malfunction. Some say scared(I would have been).

Written By: danootaandme on 05/08/06 at 4:34 pm

Oh, yeah, as a side note, I don't know how old you are, but I can remember watching Alan Shepard go off into space, and Gus Grissom, and the moonwalk, etc.  I remember the tickertape parades and when the Astronauts were the great American heroes :)

Written By: KKay on 05/08/06 at 10:03 pm

Why do you think Gus Grissom blew that hatch prematurely?  He said malfunction. Some say scared(I would have been).

I would be too...if aonyone wants to know this is about the Mercury mission- grissom blew that hatch after splashdown and then
flooded the capsule..

why?  i can only speculate. he was a squirrelly guy...i'm going to find some info and we can analyse this..

Written By: babieblugurl on 05/09/06 at 7:03 am

Hysterical...and i ask your permission to let me use that line!

Now work in "Uranus" in there and I'll dub you comic genius....
(i'll go back and give you applause too!!) :)

you have my full permission...an tnx..i got a reply on the other board that it was because astroids are from uranus...lol.... ;)

Written By: KKay on 05/09/06 at 7:58 am

you have my full permission...an tnx..i got a reply on the other board that it was because astroids are from uranus...lol.... ;)

ahhhha ha ha...
space jokes are funny...
i am off to find more.
:)

Written By: KKay on 05/09/06 at 10:00 am

I did a littl emore research and here is what i found...that the eveidence is inconclusive; i think panic may have been a factor when you read that his heart rate had increased during return and that he admitted he was disoriented.

"With Liberty Bell 7 at an altitude of 118.26 miles, it was now time to position the spacecraft in its reentry attitude. Grissom had initiated the retrorocket sequence and the capsule was arcing downward. His pulse reached 171 beats per minute. Retrofire gave him the distinct and peculiar feeling that he had reversed his backward flight through space and was actually moving face forward."

Although he claimed that the impact was milder than he had expected, the capsule heeled over in the water until Grissom was lying on his  side. He thought he was facing downward. That is a very very scary concept.
But these guys are astronauts!  Yeah, but they get scared too.  Grissom claimed he had just been lying there when the hatch blew off- "I was lying there, minding my own business," he said afterward, "when I heard a dull thud." The hatch cover blew away, and salt water swished into the capsule as it bobbed in the ocean. The third man to return from space was faced with the first serious emergency; Liberty Bell 7 was shipping water and sinking fast.

I have my doubts that after test after test the thing just blew off...but then terrible and unexplalined things happen with spaceflight- that's what makes it so exciting-
for me, anyway.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/09/06 at 3:35 pm

I did a littl emore research and here is what i found...that the eveidence is inconclusive; i think panic may have been a factor when you read that his heart rate had increased during return and that he admitted he was disoriented.

"With Liberty Bell 7 at an altitude of 118.26 miles, it was now time to position the spacecraft in its reentry attitude. Grissom had initiated the retrorocket sequence and the capsule was arcing downward. His pulse reached 171 beats per minute. Retrofire gave him the distinct and peculiar feeling that he had reversed his backward flight through space and was actually moving face forward."

Although he claimed that the impact was milder than he had expected, the capsule heeled over in the water until Grissom was lying on his  side. He thought he was facing downward. That is a very very scary concept.
But these guys are astronauts!  Yeah, but they get scared too.  Grissom claimed he had just been lying there when the hatch blew off- "I was lying there, minding my own business," he said afterward, "when I heard a dull thud." The hatch cover blew away, and salt water swished into the capsule as it bobbed in the ocean. The third man to return from space was faced with the first serious emergency; Liberty Bell 7 was shipping water and sinking fast.

I have my doubts that after test after test the thing just blew off...but then terrible and unexplalined things happen with spaceflight- that's what makes it so exciting-
for me, anyway.

No doubt in my mind they would have made a hero out of him if he had gone down with it, and would have been happier that way.  Instead they got pissed off because the capsule sank and it cost them some money.

Written By: KKay on 05/09/06 at 6:15 pm

No doubt in my mind they would have made a hero out of him if he had gone down with it, and would have been happier that way.  Instead they got pissed off because the capsule sank and it cost them some money.

I saw some cool pictures of it underwater...that would be great to see when diving!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/10/06 at 5:14 pm

I had a teacher in the 7th Grade who was my elective teacher and his elective for us was on Space Exploration. He use to be an astronaut and gave us a lot of fun and interesting facts about space and what it was like to be up there. One thing that always stood out in my memory is how much bone density you lose.

How does an astronaut ever recover from that bone density loss?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/11/06 at 5:22 am

I had a teacher in the 7th Grade who was my elective teacher and his elective for us was on Space Exploration. He use to be an astronaut and gave us a lot of fun and interesting facts about space and what it was like to be up there. 

It must have been cool having an astronaut for a teacher.  The closest we had were a couple of spaceshots  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/11/06 at 1:51 pm

It must have been cool having an astronaut for a teacher.  The closest we had were a couple of spaceshots   ;D

He was a very interesting teacher. Mr. Buenting was his named. I think he was one of the first people to ever develop a traveling planetarium - it's in a portable dome and they take it to elementary schools and the kids climb through a tub to go inside to see a big ball of stars up above. When I was in 6th grade he actually came around with this and it was so neat. It was interesting I ended up getting him as an elective teacher.

Written By: KKay on 05/15/06 at 9:45 am

He was a very interesting teacher. Mr. Buenting was his named. I think he was one of the first people to ever develop a traveling planetarium - it's in a portable dome and they take it to elementary schools and the kids climb through a tub to go inside to see a big ball of stars up above. When I was in 6th grade he actually came around with this and it was so neat. It was interesting I ended up getting him as an elective teacher.

WOW...that is really cool.. our college had a planetarium and i used to hang out there all the time...
It really is a fascinating bit of machinery.

Written By: stealth-o-matic on 06/03/06 at 3:14 am

So...did they ever "do it" in space???

Written By: KKay on 06/03/06 at 12:24 pm

So...did they ever "do it" in space???

1. Applause for the question.
2.  I"m going to find out. I bet someone has...or at least pleasured themselves to the view of the earth out that tiny little window

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 1:37 pm

1. Applause for the question.
2.  I"m going to find out. I bet someone has...or at least pleasured themselves to the view of the earth out that tiny little window

That would be cosmic and mind-expanding... :o

Written By: KKay on 06/03/06 at 2:11 pm

this is a great article
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_214.html
apparently tons of research is being done but no one is fessing up.
i read a few more stories; i love reading that masturbation is recommended in extended space flight.
but you cant tell me that bumping in to someone on a daily basis on the shuttle don't get your motor going...or at least gets you curious about
doing  it upside down.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 3:31 pm

Would you say 2005 was beginning of a new Space Age Kay?

Written By: La Roche on 06/04/06 at 3:30 pm

this is a great article
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_214.html
apparently tons of research is being done but no one is fessing up.
i read a few more stories; i love reading that masturbation is recommended in extended space flight.
but you cant tell me that bumping in to someone on a daily basis on the shuttle don't get your motor going...or at least gets you curious about
doing  it upside down.

Only one way to find out.

Check for new replies or respond here...