inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me Anything About New Wave

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:34 pm

Subject: Re: Ask Me Anything About New Wave

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:35 pm

What is New Wave exactly? I know some of the groups, but what really chartacterizes this type of music?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 8:39 pm

What is New Wave exactly? I know some of the groups, but what really chartacterizes this type of music?

New Wave is defined by the groups that are "considered" New Wave, more than by any specific characteristic.

That's kind of a copout answer though. 

New Wave began in the mid 1970s at clubs like CBGB's, and originally was synonomymous with Punk Rock.  Generally "New Wave" punk is "quirky" music like Devo, Talking Heads, and The B-52's.

During the late '70s and early '80s, a musical movement in Eugene called New Romantics came into popularity, which is more "stereotypical" keyboard and boys-in-makeup New Wave.  By the early '80s, when MTV aired, quirky punk bands, New Romantic groups, and bands that were somewhere between were often played and they all became lumped in as "New Wave".

Today New Wave is sort of a catch-all term for any late '70s or '80s alternative rock that isn't clearly something else (like grunge or arena rock).

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/01/06 at 8:42 pm

New Wave is defined by the groups that are "considered" New Wave, more than by any specific characteristic.

That's kind of a copout answer though. 

New Wave began in the mid 1970s at clubs like CBGB's, and originally was synonomymous with Punk Rock.  Generally "New Wave" punk is "quirky" music like Devo, Talking Heads, and The B-52's.

During the late '70s and early '80s, a musical movement in Eugene called New Romantics came into popularity, which is more "stereotypical" keyboard and boys-in-makeup New Wave.  By the early '80s, when MTV aired, quirky punk bands, New Romantic groups, and bands that were somewhere between were often played and they all became lumped in as "New Wave".

Today New Wave is sort of a catch-all term for any late '70s or '80s alternative rock that isn't clearly something else (like grunge or arena rock).

Thanks now I kind of get it.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/02/06 at 4:07 pm

What's your favourite new wave band?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 4:15 pm

What's your favourite new wave band?

That's a hard one. Lately I've been leaning toward Talking Heads.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/02/06 at 5:51 pm

That's a hard one. Lately I've been leaning toward Talking Heads.

They're also kind of art rock

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 5:52 pm

They're also kind of art rock

And punk rock.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/02/06 at 7:15 pm

I think of them as sort of art-punk that turned into new wave. But new wave is such a catch-all, comprehensive term for the half of the post-punk movement that wasn't hardcore punk.

Check for new replies or respond here...