inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Weird Al, Pink Floyd, Bugsy Malone and The Residents

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/06 at 10:51 am

Any or All of the above, ask as many relevant questions as you desire. (irrelevant or snotty questions will be simply ignored)

Subject: Re: Ask me about Weird Al, Pink Floyd, Bugsy Malone and The Residents

Written By: Tia on 06/13/06 at 11:07 am

what's your favorite song from ummagumma?

i'm gonna bump bugsy malone to the top of my netflix list. you got me all curious now.

Written By: Tia on 06/13/06 at 11:15 am

ever hear the residents album, the king and i, where they do lots of covers of elvis songs? it's the only residents album i have.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/06 at 12:19 pm

i'm gonna bump bugsy malone to the top of my netflix list. you got me all curious now.

I have to qualify with 2 tracks, because of the dual nature of the album. From the live side, "A Saucerful of Secrets" (i think it's the DEFIJITVE version of the song); from the studio side, "Several Species..." :D (I got weird tastes, as you can guess)

If you are a Floyd fan, you should be very interested in "Bugsy Malone"...director of "Pink Floyd The Wall" Alan Parker got his start with "Bugsy Malone." Has the Region 1 DVD made it to the US yet? Netflix has it?Watch very carefully for some stylistic similarities.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/06 at 12:21 pm

ever hear the residents album, the king and i, where they do lots of covers of elvis songs? it's the only residents album i have.

Yes, I think I still have a cassette copy. Not one of my faves, but a good intro to the band (in some respects). I've managed to get every nationwide release of the band--my faves are Fingerprince, Meet The Residents, Not Available, God In 3 Persons, and Eskimo.

Written By: Tia on 06/13/06 at 12:27 pm

i gotta go with narrow way. the live stuff is ALL so good i'd be hardpressed to pick a favorite, but i agree i think they're all better than the studio versions. and i like how in astonomy domine it's david gilmour doing his syd impression. great album.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/13/06 at 2:22 pm

Why is Ummagumma so underrated?

and... Do you recommend that one Residents album where they "update" classical songs?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/06 at 2:53 pm

Why is Ummagumma so underrated?

and... Do you recommend that one Residents album where they "update" classical songs?

I wouldn't say it's underrated. The live stuff is integral, but can anyone really say they "like" 'Sisyphus' or 'The Grand Visier's Garden Party? ::) It's a 3-star album in my book, only for the live side and Waters/Gilmour's contributions.

What do you mean by "classical" songs? You are either referring to "Stars & Hank Forever" (where they cover Hank Williams Sr. and John Philip Sousa) or "George & James (where they cover James Brown & George Gershwin).
Both of these are currently OOP.

S&HF is interesting--the "Sousa side" is purposely made to sound like a outdoor marching band competition, complete with ambient crowd sounds, birds, and passing airplanes overhead--the best thing about this album though is Williams' "Kaw-Liga", an close-to-actual "pop" tune than even samples Micheal Jackson's "Billie Jean"  :o.

G&J is not as good. They do a game runthrough of "Rhapsody In Blue" that is hampered by their admitted lack of musical prowess. And the James Brown covers are just too silly, just performed for the sake of "what would it sound like if The Residents did James Brown?"--completely missing the profound twists of context that they captured with "It's A Man's World" and the later Elvis covers of The King And Eye.

I would wait and see if They will re-release these albums, or contact a friendly fan who could burn key tracks for you, rather than paying mucho $$ on e-bay.

Let's get this out of the way, before someone asks---I do not have the capacity to upload or copy CDs for anyone.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/13/06 at 5:32 pm

I wouldn't say it's underrated. The live stuff is integral, but can anyone really say they "like" 'Sisyphus' or 'The Grand Visier's Garden Party? ::) It's a 3-star album in my book, only for the live side and Waters/Gilmour's contributions.

What do you mean by "classical" songs? You are either referring to "Stars & Hank Forever" (where they cover Hank Williams Sr. and John Philip Sousa) or "George & James (where they cover James Brown & George Gershwin).
Both of these are currently OOP.

S&HF is interesting--the "Sousa side" is purposely made to sound like a outdoor marching band competition, complete with ambient crowd sounds, birds, and passing airplanes overhead--the best thing about this album though is Williams' "Kaw-Liga", an close-to-actual "pop" tune than even samples Micheal Jackson's "Billie Jean"  :o.

G&J is not as good. They do a game runthrough of "Rhapsody In Blue" that is hampered by their admitted lack of musical prowess. And the James Brown covers are just too silly, just performed for the sake of "what would it sound like if The Residents did James Brown?"--completely missing the profound twists of context that they captured with "It's A Man's World" and the later Elvis covers of The King And Eye.

I would wait and see if They will re-release these albums, or contact a friendly fan who could burn key tracks for you, rather than paying mucho $$ on e-bay.

Let's get this out of the way, before someone asks---I do not have the capacity to upload or copy CDs for anyone.

Man, I dunno. I just read that they have an album that does redone versions of classical compositions. Dunno!

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/13/06 at 7:45 pm

Did you hear the new parody "You're Pitiful"?

It's at weirdal.com

Written By: namilliron on 06/13/06 at 8:02 pm

All I've ever heard of them is "moisture" off the COMMERCIAL album, which has been played a couple of times on Dr. Demento.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/06 at 7:56 am

Did you hear the new parody "You're Pitiful"?

It's at weirdal.com

I haven't heard it yet, but read the lyrics that got mysteriously posted at amiright. To be honest, it's worth a free download, not the greatest of Al's parodies.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/06 at 7:59 am

All I've ever heard of them is "moisture" off the COMMERCIAL album, which has been played a couple of times on Dr. Demento.

They are quite demented, but in a way that's creepy and quite undefinable. :) That's why Demento only plays that track--and he's also played "The Laughing Song"

An oily ole egg with a red peg leg
Thought a porquepine was his daughter.
But he soon found out
that she had the gout,
And often would wink underwater.
A red red rose saw a big pig pose
On the edge of a silver dollar.
The end of his tail
Was a long necked nail.
In place of his face was a scholar.

Written By: KKay on 06/14/06 at 9:34 am

I know ALLLLLL about Bugsy Malone. All Lyrics. Story. Script. I was obsessed when it came out and I've seen it hundreds of times!
I didn't know anyone else was into it!

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/14/06 at 11:31 am

I haven't heard it yet, but read the lyrics that got mysteriously posted at amiright. To be honest, it's worth a free download, not the greatest of Al's parodies.

Hearing it adds to the humor. I like at the beginning when he makes fun of how James Blunt seems to mess up the beginning and sing a couple bars later.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/14/06 at 12:11 pm

Hearing it adds to the humor. I like at the beginning when he makes fun of how James Blunt seems to mess up the beginning and sing a couple bars later.

It would help that I have heard the OS, too...I have only heard enough to know that I will hate it.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...