inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me about Hall and Oates.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 9:13 pm

Go for it. ;)

Subject: Re: Ask Me about Hall and Oates.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/30/06 at 9:22 pm

What's your favorite song by Hall and Oates?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 9:26 pm

What's your favorite song by Hall and Oates?

That's a hard one, but for any song, probably 1985's "Possession Obsession", a mid-tempo, retro synthpop hit from the Big Bam Boom album. John Oates sings that one.

For Daryl's songs (he does lead vocals on most of their songs, save two per album usually), I'd say either "Kiss on My List" or "Say it Isn't So".

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/30/06 at 9:47 pm

Well, well, well, who? Who makes your dreams come true? Oooh, oooh, oooh oooh.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/30/06 at 9:59 pm

Well, well, well, who? Who makes your dreams come true? Oooh, oooh, oooh oooh.

You, baby, you!

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/31/06 at 12:21 am

You, baby, you!

You are correct, sir! *blush*

Written By: Tia on 08/01/06 at 2:26 pm

why does tubeway think hall and oates is so gay?

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/01/06 at 2:35 pm

why does tubeway think hall and oates is so gay?

Tubeway is so gay, it's all he thinks about... all day!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/01/06 at 4:32 pm

DARYL HALL and JOHN OATES have made some excellent records over the years, the voices/harmonies are just wonderful.
Sara Smile She's Gone and Back Together Again are 3 of my favourites

Written By: Tia on 08/01/06 at 4:59 pm

i really dig hall and oates. i get mocked for it regularly too.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/01/06 at 6:13 pm

i really dig hall and oates. i get mocked for it regularly too.

Look, I dig them too dude have done since I was 18 or something and frankly couldn't give a flying **ck what anyone thinks as long as I like them ;D

Written By: Tia on 08/01/06 at 9:56 pm

Look, I dig them too dude have done since I was 18 or something and frankly couldn't give a flying **ck what anyone thinks as long as I like them ;D
well, i got mocked that once.

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/06 at 12:55 am

Here's some interesting Hall and Oates Trivia ...

"Family Man" was originally a hit for Mike Oldfield in 1982.  Though it only got to #45 in the UK, it peaked at #29 in Canada and was still popular into 1983, so to avoid confliction, the John Oates sung "Italian Girls" was released to Canada instead of "Family Man"

"Family Man" peaked at US #6 / UK #15
"Italian Girls" peaked at CAN #24

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/02/06 at 1:54 am

Nobody asked me, but I love this H&O goofy ass Xmas video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=md83HRK1yhw&search=hall%20and%20oates%20christmas

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/02/06 at 8:48 am

http://www.oldies.com/i/boxart/large/9/078636931920.jpg

this pic is a good representation of this great duo taken in the 80's

Written By: Tia on 08/02/06 at 10:54 am

i think the big bushy moustache had a lot to do with why a lot of people didn't take them very seriously when they were big.

Written By: karen on 08/02/06 at 11:04 am

i think the big bushy moustache had a lot to do with why a lot of people didn't take them very seriously when they were big.

And why people might call them gay

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/02/06 at 11:18 am

Why do you think they petered out around 1985? Was it the rise of more sexual, "edgy" artists like Prince and Madonna? Don't you find it interesting how many hip-hop artists have sampled them?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/06 at 12:38 am

Why do you think they petered out around 1985? Was it the rise of more sexual, "edgy" artists like Prince and Madonna? Don't you find it interesting how many hip-hop artists have sampled them?

Yeah, the second point might be one reason some people sorta still have liked them through the years (out of the "80s" '80s artists, they seem to be more well-liked by my peers c. 1998 than, say Duran Duran were). "Out of Touch" seems like the perfect sampling song, especially the drum-heavy intro.

As for the first thing, yeah, I think their early MTV image giving way to more explicit stuff was part of it. Another reason is, from their Behind the Music, since they released an album every year since 1980's Voices and were starting to get burned out (professionally as well as personally) by the summer of '85, they decided to quit while they were ahead, which I kinda understand.

I think they had a few "sub-eras", like Voices, Private Eyes and H20 (1980-early '83) all had a similar pattern and "early MTV 80s" sound. In late 1983, their two songs recorded for the Rock and Soul Part 1 compilation ("Say it isn't So" and "Adult Education") seemed like they had some arena rock elements, more along the lines of Huey Lewis or Journey. That was more the style they did on 1984's Big Bam Boom (the one that had "Out of Touch") which spun singles off into '85. It also had a streetwise, breakdancing feel too, so it was very up to date, even ahead of its time perhaps.

If they'd kept going, they probably would've stayed pretty successful, but I think definitely by 1988, when they released their next album, they were "symbols of 1981". The sounds of the "main '80s" (1979-86) were sorta passe by then, too.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/04/06 at 10:14 am

just been reading some actual blogs from them both - its very interesting reading

http://www.hallandoates.com/blog.php

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/04/06 at 10:42 am

The latest blog is dated 7-1-07, a year in the future...Ooooooo!

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/04/06 at 10:55 pm

Yeah, the second point might be one reason some people sorta still have liked them through the years (out of the "80s" '80s artists, they seem to be more well-liked by my peers c. 1998 than, say Duran Duran were). "Out of Touch" seems like the perfect sampling song, especially the drum-heavy intro.

As for the first thing, yeah, I think their early MTV image giving way to more explicit stuff was part of it. Another reason is, from their Behind the Music, since they released an album every year since 1980's Voices and were starting to get burned out (professionally as well as personally) by the summer of '85, they decided to quit while they were ahead, which I kinda understand.

I think they had a few "sub-eras", like Voices, Private Eyes and H20 (1980-early '83) all had a similar pattern and "early MTV 80s" sound. In late 1983, their two songs recorded for the Rock and Soul Part 1 compilation ("Say it isn't So" and "Adult Education") seemed like they had some arena rock elements, more along the lines of Huey Lewis or Journey. That was more the style they did on 1984's Big Bam Boom (the one that had "Out of Touch") which spun singles off into '85. It also had a streetwise, breakdancing feel too, so it was very up to date, even ahead of its time perhaps.

If they'd kept going, they probably would've stayed pretty successful, but I think definitely by 1988, when they released their next album, they were "symbols of 1981". The sounds of the "main '80s" (1979-86) were sorta passe by then, too.

Hall and Oates are definitely one of the most definitive groups of the '80s, in terms of the number of instantly recognizeable songs they have. "Out of Touch", "Maneater", "Kiss on My List", "Baby Come Back", and "Private Eyes" are all on the list of '80s classics, for example.

Their work was sort of the "perfect early '80s pop fusion" sound. They had a mixture of "sleek new wave" with pop and '60s-styled soul and doo-wop that worked really well for them around 1980 and 1981, and some light arena rock influences. The other group who fits this bill easily is Blondie, who was their early '80s equivalent in terms of chart success, and who similarly combined new wave with soul and pop craftsmanship.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/06 at 11:30 pm

"Baby Come Back"

Can't say as I know that one

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/06/06 at 4:42 pm

Can't say as I know that one

PLAYER done a good version of that, have it on 7"

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 7:41 pm

Hall and Oates are definitely one of the most definitive groups of the '80s, in terms of the number of instantly recognizeable songs they have. "Out of Touch", "Maneater", "Kiss on My List", "Baby Come Back", and "Private Eyes" are all on the list of '80s classics, for example.

Their work was sort of the "perfect early '80s pop fusion" sound. They had a mixture of "sleek new wave" with pop and '60s-styled soul and doo-wop that worked really well for them around 1980 and 1981, and some light arena rock influences. The other group who fits this bill easily is Blondie, who was their early '80s equivalent in terms of chart success, and who similarly combined new wave with soul and pop craftsmanship.

They had an equal amount of '50s and '60s influences, now that I think about it - '50s style doo wop mixed with c. 1966 style soul/pop. This was more evident on the ballads, like "Method of Modern Love", "I Can't Go for That" and "One on One" (despite it being synthed up and pretty '80s, it could've been a 1965 song in a more stripped down sense).

I'd argue they had two different rock influences. Around 1980, with songs like "You Make My Dreams" or "United State" (an album track off Voices) it was a light punkish pop sound, whereas "Out of Touch" or "Adult Education" had some c. 1984 arena rock elements.

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/06 at 10:20 am

PLAYER done a good version of that, have it on 7"

Is that the same song?  I know the one by Player

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/09/06 at 11:24 am

It probably is, my mistake  :-[. It sounds quite H&O-ey, though.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/09/06 at 12:09 pm

Yeah I think it's only ever been done by PLAYER - I was just trying to be tactful  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...