inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask a Teamster

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/22/06 at 9:57 pm

Local 41 in the house, yo!

Subject: Re: Ask a Teamster

Written By: Tam on 08/23/06 at 12:47 am

La Sine Pesroh!!! 8) 8) 8)

Good to see you back again!!

Whatcha been up to? 

Written By: Howard on 08/23/06 at 6:15 am

AL-B,How are you?  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/06 at 1:41 pm

La Sine Pesroh!!! 8) 8) 8)

Good to see you back again!!

Whatcha been up to? 
Hey, Tam!  I've just been working, taking some vacation, stuff like that.
AL-B,How are you?  :)
Hey Howard, I'm doing great. How've you been?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/06 at 2:34 pm

Hey, Tam!  I've just been working, taking some vacation, stuff like that. Hey Howard, I'm doing great. How've you been?

I'm doing pretty well,I've been at Au Bon Pain for about 6 months now and have been going out with Robin(My girlfriend) almost 2 years(In October)  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/06 at 8:36 pm

How much are union dues?

Isn't Jimmy Hoffa's son the president of the Teamsters now?  I might have heard wrong.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/03/06 at 4:42 am

How much are union dues?

About $55/month.
Isn't Jimmy Hoffa's son the president of the Teamsters now?  I might have heard wrong.
Yes. But there's an election coming up soon.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/06 at 6:50 am

How's your deejaying coming along?

Written By: La Roche on 11/05/06 at 12:41 pm

Should I start digging at the 50 yard line?

Written By: Howard on 11/05/06 at 9:46 pm

Why was this thread dead for a few months?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/05/06 at 9:47 pm

Why was this thread dead for a few months?

probably because Al wasn't around for awhile.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/06/06 at 12:41 am

Should I start digging at the 50 yard line?
No, he's in one of the endzones.  :o :o :o

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 5:08 am

No, he's in one of the endzones.  :o :o :o

Actually, I think he's in Great Kills. Largest landmade eddifice in the world, lots of space for him to be in. They're re-developing the whole area, maybe they'll find him?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/06/06 at 11:43 am

What exactly are the Teamsters?

How many members are in Local 41?

How long have you been a member?

What do you consider advantages/disadvantages of being in a union?  I mean your personal opinion.

And it's nice to meet you.  I'm Ash.  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/06/06 at 3:42 pm

What's your goals in life?

Written By: La Roche on 11/06/06 at 3:46 pm

What's your goals in life?

Al wants to steal a forklift and a sidecar and travel with me across the mid-west at about 12 Miles per hour, throwing empty beer cans at people and mooning them.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/06/06 at 8:28 pm

Al wants to steal a forklift and a sidecar and travel with me across the mid-west at about 12 Miles per hour, throwing empty beer cans at people and mooning them.

Can I ride on the forks?

Written By: Howard on 11/06/06 at 9:39 pm

That's disgusting

Written By: La Roche on 11/07/06 at 4:52 am

Can I ride on the forks?

On one of them.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/06 at 9:34 am

On one of them.

Looks like it's Al's lucky day!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/07/06 at 12:49 pm

Don't moon them for christ sakes. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/06 at 1:13 am

What exactly are the Teamsters?

(From the website www.teamsters.org : )

Who Are The Teamsters?

The Teamsters are America

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/10/06 at 1:24 am

I'm not a Teamster, but I am CWA and have gone on strike a couple of times.  Are you a union steward Al?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/10/06 at 1:47 am

I'm not a Teamster, but I am CWA and have gone on strike a couple of times.  Are you a union steward Al?
No, and I don't think I'd want to be either. I respect the hell out of the guys who do it, it seems like a whole other job in itself.

Are you a steward?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/10/06 at 1:57 am

No, and I don't think I'd want to be either. I respect the hell out of the guys who do it, it seems like a whole other job in itself.

Are you a steward?

nope, same as you, I appreciate the ones that do, the good ones, we do have some that suck and pretty much agree with management and aren't confrontational, but some are like good defense attornies. I've been a card carrying member for 24 years.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/06 at 2:20 pm

What would you have been if you weren't a teamster?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/06 at 3:41 am

What would you have been if you weren't a teamster?
Who knows...President of the United States???  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 11/11/06 at 7:33 am

Ever cross a picket line? 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/06 at 2:27 pm

Ever cross a picket line? 
Never been in that situation, and if it ever came up, no I wouldn't.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/11/06 at 4:33 pm

MY BROTHER    :)

Written By: La Roche on 11/12/06 at 7:01 am

Damn straight Al.

Even with my political mind-set, there is still a cardinal rule - You don't cross picket lines.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/06 at 7:59 am

Who knows...President of the United States???  ::)

Would you have beaten Bush? ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/12/06 at 1:38 pm

Would you have beaten Bush? ;D
No. I was too young to run for president in 2004.  ;D

Still, I do think it would have been fun to debate Bush. I would've done away with all the pretend civility and the false courtesy and told him that he talks like a sh*t salesman with a sample in his mouth.

Written By: Howard on 11/12/06 at 2:12 pm

No. I was too young to run for president in 2004.  ;D

Still, I do think it would have been fun to debate Bush. I would've done away with all the pretend civility and the false courtesy and told him that he talks like a sh*t salesman with a sample in his mouth.

What about becoming Mayor?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/15/06 at 1:57 am

What about becoming Mayor?
I guess I could do that.

http://www.edwardsamuels.com/illustratedstory/chapter%207/mccheese2.jpg

(You know, is it just me, or is that just a little bit creepy?)

Written By: Howard on 11/15/06 at 3:47 pm

I guess I could do that.

http://www.edwardsamuels.com/illustratedstory/chapter%207/mccheese2.jpg

(You know, is it just me, or is that just a little bit creepy?)

Mayor McCheese?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/15/06 at 4:07 pm

Mayor McCheese?

Obviously.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/16/06 at 2:03 pm

Mayor McCheese?

He's my favorite mayor.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/06 at 2:05 pm

He's my favorite mayor.

He should be Mayor of New York.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/16/06 at 2:08 pm

He should be Mayor of New York.  ;D

He was for a very brief period of time.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/06 at 5:08 pm

That's right, wasn't he also a boss in Tammany Hall back in the 1930's?

Wait, that can't be right...Tammany Hall was controlled predominantly by the Irish, whereas "McCheese" is more of a Scottish surname.

And, as everyone knows, the McCheese clan is world-renowned for their fine single-malt Scotch whisky.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/16/06 at 5:12 pm

That's right, wasn't he also a boss in Tammany Hall back in the 1930's?

Wait, that can't be right...Tammany Hall was controlled predominantly by the Irish, whereas "McCheese" is more of a Scottish surname.

And, as everyone knows, the McCheese clan is world-renowned for their fine single-malt Scotch whisky.

I can always count on you to drop some knowledge on us.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/06 at 5:17 pm

Who was his running mate? ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 11/16/06 at 5:19 pm

Who was his running mate? ;D

Mayors don't have running mates.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/16/06 at 5:20 pm

I can always count on you to drop some knowledge on us.
Well, I did attend the University of Nebraska for a couple of semesters.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B0001ASF1A.01-AWO0N2MWZJE56._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And, as they always say, the "N" stands for "knowledge."

Written By: Howard on 11/16/06 at 5:21 pm

Mayors don't have running mates.

My Mistake

Written By: La Roche on 01/30/08 at 8:08 am

688 Brother.

So when can I expect to start sleeping on the job?  ;) ;D

Written By: Tia on 01/30/08 at 8:13 am

liberals! get out of america!!!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/08 at 2:17 pm

688 Brother.

Well, you have to be kind of sneaky about it.  ;)

So...did they hire you on full-time or are you a casual?

Written By: La Roche on 01/30/08 at 11:09 pm

Well, you have to be kind of sneaky about it.  ;)

So...did they hire you on full-time or are you a casual?

I'm a contract employee. From what I know from speaking to some of the other guys in the Union, once you're hired with this firm, it's not particularly easy to lose your job.. we're talking Industrial sabotage to get the can.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 01/30/08 at 11:10 pm

liberals! get out of america!!!

It just makes me sick, to think that I could work for minimum wage and get s**t on by the corporate overlords!

Nah dude, I'm totally ripped to be a Teamster, this is kickass. I haven't had insurance for ages. Plus, the really cool thing is, I can keep my other job on a casual basis just doing show calls when and where I get myself on for so when a cool band comes to town, I can still work the show!  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/31/08 at 1:14 am

I'm a contract employee. From what I know from speaking to some of the other guys in the Union, once you're hired with this firm, it's not particularly easy to lose your job.. we're talking Industrial sabotage to get the can.  ;D

From what the old-timers tell me, there's only three sure-fire things they can fire you for: Stealing freight, fighting on company property, and failing two drug tests.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that if your co-workers are anything like the guys I work with, you should have no trouble at all fitting in.  ;)

(In other words, when I first started working the dock I was really nice to everyone, and they were like, "Meh, whatever." But once I got to know them a little better I began to act like a complete a**hole and I started ripping on everybody, and they've absolutely loved me ever since.  ;D ;D ;D )

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/08 at 5:48 am

You here the crap they are talking today about with the cost of gas going up to $4 in the next six months?  The oil companies, since they can't claim low reserves, are spouting about a shortage of necessary additives.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 01/31/08 at 7:41 am

From what the old-timers tell me, there's only three sure-fire things they can fire you for: Stealing freight, fighting on company property, and failing two drug tests.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that if your co-workers are anything like the guys I work with, you should have no trouble at all fitting in.  ;)

(In other words, when I first started working the dock I was really nice to everyone, and they were like, "Meh, whatever." But once I got to know them a little better I began to act like a complete a**hole and I started ripping on everybody, and they've absolutely loved me ever since.  ;D ;D ;D )

This is basically what I heard. Not to take the tone down too low.. wait.. remember who this is..  ;D Anyway, my buddy Mike got me the gig basically and his words were "Bro, to get fired you'd have to take a s**t in the middle of the dock, and they'd probably just laugh at that." So that's cool.

I don't think anybody will have to worry about me being real nice to everyone, I don't mean I'm an azzhole, I just can't do fake nice very well, I guess I'll just keep quiet for a few weeks.

Written By: La Roche on 01/31/08 at 7:42 am

You here the crap they are talking today about with the cost of gas going up to $4 in the next six months?  The oil companies, since they can't claim low reserves, are spouting about a shortage of necessary additives.  ::)

This surprises you why? One nice thing, looking at how the primary races are running, whoever gets in to office is going to have some words with the oil companies. Do I think prices will drop dramatically? Of course not. Do I think they'll keep running out of control without any sort of inquiry? Nope.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/31/08 at 8:21 am

This surprises you why? One nice thing, looking at how the primary races are running, whoever gets in to office is going to have some words with the oil companies. Do I think prices will drop dramatically? Of course not. Do I think they'll keep running out of control without any sort of inquiry? Nope.

No surprise to me, though the additive shortage thing is inventive.  I just thought they would go on their way without bothering to lower themselves to even invent an explanation.

Written By: karen on 01/31/08 at 8:24 am

688 Brother.

Come on.  you already told me how to do this!

Drop some stuff on the floor (paper clips were suggested), lie down, grab a few zzz's and then claim to be picking the stuff up when someone disturbs you

Subject: Ask A Teamster

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/02/08 at 2:51 am

This is basically what I heard. Not to take the tone down too low.. wait.. remember who this is..  ;D Anyway, my buddy Mike got me the gig basically and his words were "Bro, to get fired you'd have to take a s**t in the middle of the dock, and they'd probably just laugh at that." So that's cool.

I don't think anybody will have to worry about me being real nice to everyone, I don't mean I'm an azzhole, I just can't do fake nice very well, I guess I'll just keep quiet for a few weeks.

Well, when I say "a**hole," I don't mean actually being a prick. To be honest, the guys I work with have been awesome, they all know that I'm not from KC originally and they went out of their way to take me in and make me feel at home, and it meant a lot to me, enough to where I decided not to move back to Nebraska (I had the opportunity to get on at ABF up in Omaha).

When I first transferred over to the dock I had to work the midnight-to-8 shift, and the guys on that shift weren't very friendly, they're very cliquey and they really don't accept anyone unless they decide to stay on midnights (which most people don't). When I got on to the 4-to-midnight shift the people were a lot cooler and they were much quicker to accept me.

Once I really got to know them, a lot of them started busting my balls quite a bit (which was really their way of showing me that they like me), and I'm really good at firing back. The job itself is rather boring but we constantly pick on each other and we make it fun.

Having met you and knowing you have a similar sense of humor to mine I'm sure you'll be just fine. In other words, "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A SMARTASS TO WORK HERE, BUT IT HELPS."  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 02/02/08 at 3:44 pm

Come on.  you already told me how to do this!

Drop some stuff on the floor (paper clips were suggested), lie down, grab a few zzz's and then claim to be picking the stuff up when someone disturbs you

Don't think I'll be able to!

Subject: Re: Ask A Teamster

Written By: La Roche on 02/02/08 at 3:45 pm

Well, when I say "a**hole," I don't mean actually being a prick. To be honest, the guys I work with have been awesome, they all know that I'm not from KC originally and they went out of their way to take me in and make me feel at home, and it meant a lot to me, enough to where I decided not to move back to Nebraska (I had the opportunity to get on at ABF up in Omaha).

When I first transferred over to the dock I had to work the midnight-to-8 shift, and the guys on that shift weren't very friendly, they're very cliquey and they really don't accept anyone unless they decide to stay on midnights (which most people don't). When I got on to the 4-to-midnight shift the people were a lot cooler and they were much quicker to accept me.

Once I really got to know them, a lot of them started busting my balls quite a bit (which was really their way of showing me that they like me), and I'm really good at firing back. The job itself is rather boring but we constantly pick on each other and we make it fun.

Having met you and knowing you have a similar sense of humor to mine I'm sure you'll be just fine. In other words, "YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A SMARTASS TO WORK HERE, BUT IT HELPS."  ;D

Are you set on that shift now?

So you wanna come down for Paddy's in March? Big party, you're more than welcome.

Subject: Re: Ask A Teamster

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/16/08 at 1:31 am

Are you set on that shift now?

So you wanna come down for Paddy's in March? Big party, you're more than welcome.

I'm set on it for now, hopefully (now that the contract has passed  >:() they'll start calling people back from layoff and also begin putting more weekend bids back up.

Check for new replies or respond here...