inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lewis Galoob Bears 1985

Written By: veralollipop on 10/20/06 at 8:13 am

I,m stumped! I,ve aquired one of these bears from Lewis Galoob 1985 but for the life of me I cant find out what his name is...is there anyone out there that can help? I,ll describe him as best I can.
Hes, approx 20" tall. Brown..of course with a beige tuft of fur on his head. Beige eyebrows, muzzle and ends of paws. Hes wearing a red tartan waistcoat with 3 button fastning. He has a small pair of red plastic specs on his nose and he talks. When he talks his eyebrows move up and down and  his nose wrinkles up. his eyes open and shut too.
He says things like....Lets talk.  Remember, you,re the greatest,  Think positively,  Turn me over,  Yes, Mmmm, Let me think, I like to be picked up and when turned on his side he chuckles.....well?  Anyone knows which bear I,m on about. :-\\

Subject: Re: Lewis Galoob Bears 1985

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/11 at 10:06 pm

I,m stumped! I,ve aquired one of these bears from Lewis Galoob 1985 but for the life of me I cant find out what his name is...is there anyone out there that can help? I,ll describe him as best I can.
Hes, approx 20" tall. Brown..of course with a beige tuft of fur on his head. Beige eyebrows, muzzle and ends of paws. Hes wearing a red tartan waistcoat with 3 button fastning. He has a small pair of red plastic specs on his nose and he talks. When he talks his eyebrows move up and down and  his nose wrinkles up. his eyes open and shut too.
He says things like....Lets talk.  Remember, you,re the greatest,  Think positively,   Turn me over,  Yes, Mmmm, Let me think, I like to be picked up and when turned on his side he chuckles.....well?   Anyone knows which bear I,m on about. :-\\

You're looking for Galoob's Smarty Bear (here's a high-resolution picture), invented by Ralph Baer.  

(There's also a long-dormant thread around here about optical interactive toys based on TV series - well, he's the guy who invented Laser Command, for MASK, which may be the answer.)

And before that?  Well, in 1972 he was the driving force behind the Magnavox Odyssey, and with it, the entire console video game industry.

(When we answer a long-dormant thread about a forgotten toy around here, we answer the hell out of it.)

Check for new replies or respond here...