inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about: Texas Hold 'Em *POKER*

Written By: joedeertae on 10/21/06 at 10:19 am

I play a lot of No Limit Texas Hold 'Em, so I figured why not start an ask me thread?

So here goes......

Ask away.

Subject: Re: Ask me about: Texas Hold 'Em

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/06 at 3:40 pm

How many does Texas hold?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/21/06 at 6:21 pm

It's a poker game.  Everyone gets dealt 2 cards....a round of betting ensues, and then flop is shown.  That's 3 community cards that everyone can use in their hands.  Another round of betting happens, then the turn card is shown.  People bet again, and then the river card is shown.  One final round of betting happens and then everyone tries to make the best hand possible out of their 2 cards and any 3 of the community cards.

I love playing Texas Hold 'Em.

Written By: joedeertae on 10/22/06 at 1:05 am

enough to fill an entire state... ;)

Written By: joedeertae on 10/22/06 at 1:12 am

It's a poker game.  Everyone gets dealt 2 cards....a round of betting ensues, and then flop is shown.  That's 3 community cards that everyone can use in their hands.  Another round of betting happens, then the turn card is shown.  People bet again, and then the river card is shown.  One final round of betting happens and then everyone tries to make the best hand possible out of their 2 cards and any 3 of the community cards.

I love playing Texas Hold 'Em.

close... you use the 5 best cards for your hand, you can use 1 or both or in some instances neither of your hole cards.

Do you play often Sister ♥ Morphine ? Online or Offline?

Written By: Howard on 10/22/06 at 6:43 am

How hot is it in Texas?

Written By: joedeertae on 10/22/06 at 9:48 am

How hot is it in Texas?

Right now @ 9:45am it's 56F.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/06 at 10:25 am

What is that in Celsius?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/22/06 at 10:36 am

(56-32) x 5 / 9 = 13 or so C  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/06 at 10:43 am

(56-32) x 5 / 9 = 13 or so C  8)
So it is cold there like it is here?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/06 at 6:30 am

Not bad for Texas.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/24/06 at 12:41 am

close... you use the 5 best cards for your hand, you can use 1 or both or in some instances neither of your hole cards.

Do you play often Sister ♥ Morphine ? Online or Offline?

I play whenever I can....both online and off.  I never play for real money because I know I'll end up losing it all.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/06 at 6:46 am

Does Stone Cold Steve Austin live there?

Written By: joedeertae on 10/24/06 at 6:53 am

I play whenever I can....both online and off.  I never play for real money because I know I'll end up losing it all.

Cool... I play both on-line and live games too, I play for points in a bar league on Thursday and sometimes Sunday nights, some friends and I play money games on either Friday nights or Saturday nights (depending on what the wives have planned for us LOL) and when the kiddos go to bed I play on-line for a while most other nights. What on-line site's do you play? I used to play on CDPoker mostly and also PartyPoker but since they pulled their real money accounts out of the US I have been looking for another site to play on. I've recently tried CakePoker and AbsolutePoker, but I haven't put any real money into them yet.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/06 at 6:57 am

Is Texas known for spicy chili?

Written By: joedeertae on 10/24/06 at 7:11 am

Does Stone Cold Steve Austin live there?

Stone Cold Steve Austin is from Victoria, Texas. Where he currently resides I'm not sure.

Is Texas known for spicy chili?

Among many other things, yes.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/06 at 7:26 am

Stone Cold Steve Austin is from Victoria, Texas. Where he currently resides I'm not sure.

Among many other things, yes.

And I think Undertaker is from Houston Texas.

Written By: joedeertae on 10/26/06 at 10:28 am

And I think Undertaker is from Houston Texas.

The Undertaker is from Death Valley....

Written By: Howard on 10/26/06 at 4:51 pm

The Undertaker is from Death Valley....

His gimmick is from Death Valley,He's originally from Houston Texas.

Subject: Re: Ask me about: Texas Hold 'Em *POKER*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/06 at 2:24 pm

Getting back to POKER, is Texas Hold 'Em the only poker game you play or do you play stud or draw, too?

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 10/27/06 at 3:02 pm

Getting back to POKER, is Texas Hold 'Em the only poker game you play or do you play stud or draw, too?

Cat

I mostly play No Limit Hold 'Em tournaments. When I play at home with friends the tourney is usually followed by a NLHE cash game, occasionally we will play dealers choice after the tourney but thats not very often. I have tried Razz and Omaha a couple of times but with no luck... I'm talking ZERO luck!  :P

What about you Cat, do you play?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/06 at 3:49 pm

I mostly play No Limit Hold 'Em tournaments. When I play at home with friends the tourney is usually followed by a NLHE cash game, occasionally we will play dealers choice after the tourney but thats not very often. I have tried Razz and Omaha a couple of times but with no luck... I'm talking ZERO luck!  :P

What about you Cat, do you play?

I have played Hold 'Em a few times (just for fun with my step-kids-my step-son LOVES Hold 'Em). When we get together with "the guys", it is dealers choice. Usually 5 card draw, or 7 card stud. Personally, I LOVE Baseball-which is a 7 card stud game. Everytime we go to my in-laws, it is MANDITORY that we play poker-almost EVERY night.

Edited to add: my father-in-law is a sore loser AND a sore winner.  ::)

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 10/28/06 at 11:47 pm

I have played Hold 'Em a few times (just for fun with my step-kids-my step-son LOVES Hold 'Em). When we get together with "the guys", it is dealers choice. Usually 5 card draw, or 7 card stud. Personally, I LOVE Baseball-which is a 7 card stud game. Everytime we go to my in-laws, it is MANDITORY that we play poker-almost EVERY night.

Edited to add: my father-in-law is a sore loser AND a sore winner.  ::)

Cat

Baseball HUH??? I had to look that one up. Looks like fun, I will def. be trying that one at the next dealers choice game.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/29/06 at 12:00 am

Do you always fold a hand like 5-2 offsuit, even in heads up play or do you play it anyway? 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 12:20 am

Do you always fold a hand like 5-2 offsuit, even in heads up play or do you play it anyway? 
may I?    it depends on how many chips I have, If I'm doing good, I may pay to see a flop, maybe pair up the both of them or flop a straight, and if I'm having a string of luck and kickin butt, I may bluff like I got something big but it depends on who your playing and when you get to know players in house poker parties, you kind of know who you can bluff and who doesn't bluff too easy.
5-2 offsuit is crummy on it's own, but with a good low flop, you can play them. Low on chips, fold that sh*t

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 2:24 pm

Baseball HUH??? I had to look that one up. Looks like fun, I will def. be trying that one at the next dealers choice game.

Like I said, it is a 7 card stud game. Two cards down, 4 up and 1 down. 9s and 3s are wild and 4s you get an extra card. We play if you get a 3 up, you have to pay for it. That is Day Baseball. Night Baseball is no-peek and 3s put you out.

Cat

Written By: joedeertae on 10/30/06 at 9:45 pm

It depends heavily on my chipstack, opponent and what position I am in, if I am in the small blind or late position and there is no raise in front of me I wiil sometimes play 2-5 (suited or not), because it's cheap to see a flop and IF I hit nobody really expects you to play it so it can be an easy pay off. If I'm not in the blind or in early position or if someone raises my blind I will almost always fold crap cards like that. I say almost because if I know my opponent well enough, and we are heads up or even three handed I will try and bluff my way into the pot, but not very often and absolutley not more than 3 handed. That being said I rarely play cards like 2-5.

Written By: joedeertae on 10/30/06 at 9:48 pm

may I?    it depends on how many chips I have, If I'm doing good, I may pay to see a flop, maybe pair up the both of them or flop a straight, and if I'm having a string of luck and kickin butt, I may bluff like I got something big but it depends on who your playing and when you get to know players in house poker parties, you kind of know who you can bluff and who doesn't bluff too easy.
5-2 offsuit is crummy on it's own, but with a good low flop, you can play them. Low on chips, fold that sh*t

yep...

Like I said, it is a 7 card stud game. Two cards down, 4 up and 1 down. 9s and 3s are wild and 4s you get an extra card. We play if you get a 3 up, you have to pay for it. That is Day Baseball. Night Baseball is no-peek and 3s put you out.

Cat

cool! thanks Cat, sounds like a fun game....

Written By: spaceace on 11/17/06 at 12:21 pm

i hate playing cards, but my friend keeps bugging me to play Texas Hold'Em poker with her.  Stupid question.  How do I become enthused?

Written By: joedeertae on 11/20/06 at 2:44 pm

i hate playing cards, but my friend keeps bugging me to play Texas Hold'Em poker with her.  Stupid question.  How do I become enthused?

Hmmm.... How do you become enthused, huh??? Now that's a tough question. I have a bro-in-law that can't stand playing ANY kind of card games for some reason, and after being married to my sister for 6 or 7 years he has yet to give in.
Do you like to gamble? Do you like to sit around the table and BS with your friends? Those are a couple of things that got ME into playing Texas Hold 'Em. Have you watched it on TV any? Does that do anything for you or is it boring to you? Some people just aren't cut out to do certain things and maybe Hold 'Em is not your thing.... BUT! What if.... you give into your friend, you learn to play (it's a relatively easy game to learn) and then you end up being a "natural" at the game and kick her butt from now own when you play! Now THAT would be good stuff right there!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/06 at 2:55 pm

Hmmm.... How do you become enthused, huh??? Now that's a tough question. I have a bro-in-law that can't stand playing ANY kind of card games for some reason, and after being married to my sister for 6 or 7 years he has yet to give in.
Do you like to gamble? Do you like to sit around the table and BS with your friends? Those are a couple of things that got ME into playing Texas Hold 'Em. Have you watched it on TV any? Does that do anything for you or is it boring to you? Some people just aren't cut out to do certain things and maybe Hold 'Em is not your thing.... BUT! What if.... you give into your friend, you learn to play (it's a relatively easy game to learn) and then you end up being a "natural" at the game and kick her butt from now own when you play! Now THAT would be good stuff right there!

I'm sure she would be enthused if she won.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/23/06 at 6:57 am

What other card games do you play besides Texas Hold Em Poker? ???

Written By: joedeertae on 11/30/06 at 8:12 am

I'm sure she would be enthused if she won.  ;D ;D

Cat

NO DOUBT! Thats a BIG plus in the enthusiasm department! LOL.... ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 11/30/06 at 8:34 am

What other card games do you play besides Texas Hold Em Poker? ???

My buddy and I have a deal with our wives where over the weekend we have a poker night and a chick night. On chick night we usually go out somewhere for dinner and a movie or something and then go home and play cards. There are two card games that we play on a regular basis. One is called Hand and Foot and the other is Shove It. Also, I like to play Go Fish and War with the kids.

Check for new replies or respond here...