inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me About Wicca

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/06 at 11:56 am

Yup, another "Ask Me" thread. So, go head, ask away.

Cat

Subject: Re: Ask Me About Wicca

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/28/06 at 12:03 pm

I'm really glad that you made this thread, because I know personally, I don't know a lot about Wicca.  It will be interesting to find out more about it.  Could you share some of your basic beliefs that go along with it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/06 at 12:03 pm

What is Wicca?

Written By: Mushroom on 10/28/06 at 12:19 pm

What is Wicca?

I think it is a Government program to give dairy products to underprivlidged witches.    ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/28/06 at 1:00 pm

How long have you been practicing?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/06 at 1:45 pm

I'm really glad that you made this thread, because I know personally, I don't know a lot about Wicca.  It will be interesting to find out more about it.  Could you share some of your basic beliefs that go along with it?

The absolutely basic belief is the Wicca Rede. It is very long. Here it is for those of you who are interested in reading it.

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm

The most important part of the Rede is the very end:

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

What is Wicca?

It is an Earth or Pagan religion

I think it is a Government program to give dairy products to underprivlidged witches.    ;)

Cute.

How long have you been practicing?

I have been a witch all my life but didn't realize it until about 15 years ago or so. It took me about another 5 years before I finally came out of the "broom closet".

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/28/06 at 3:17 pm

The absolutely basic belief is the Wicca Rede. It is very long. Here it is for those of you who are interested in reading it.

The most important part of the Rede is the very end:

That sounds good to me.  I don't practice any religion, but Paganism is the closest religion to my own beliefs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/06 at 4:32 pm

That sounds good to me.  I don't practice any religion, but Paganism is the closest religion to my own beliefs.

What really appeals me is that Wicca gives me the freedom to practice the way that is right for me. No one is telling me that I HAVE to believe this or that. There is no right or wrong way to practice-as long as you don't hurt anyone.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/28/06 at 6:30 pm

What really appeals me is that Wicca gives me the freedom to practice the way that is right for me. No one is telling me that I HAVE to believe this or that. There is no right or wrong way to practice-as long as you don't hurt anyone.

Cat

This may sound idiotic, but do you actually cast spells and such?

Written By: Howard on 10/28/06 at 7:04 pm

Is Wicca for real?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 10/28/06 at 10:23 pm

Is Wicca for real?  ???

Yes, it is.  Quite a few people believe in it/practice it.  It's not just the tv show Charmed, although I do love that show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 1:27 am

Is that Wicca as in The Wicker Man?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 1:28 am

I guess I'll ask the silly question since no one else has:  "are you a good witch, or a bad witch"?

to be involved, must one be a witch or can a person be involved in wicca and not have to be a witch?

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 6:42 am

http://www.wicca.com/tccblu.jpg

So then this must be the logo^

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 2:07 pm

This may sound idiotic, but do you actually cast spells and such?

No, it does not sound idiotic and yes, I do cast spells. The question is, "Do they work?" Well... :-\\  Actually, 1 or 2 of them have but I don't cast a lot of them.

Is that Wicca as in The Wicker Man?

Um, probably not.

I guess I'll ask the silly question since no one else has:  "are you a good witch, or a bad witch"?

to be involved, must one be a witch or can a person be involved in wicca and not have to be a witch?

If you read right below my name on my avatar, that should tell you.  ;) Of course, that question boils down to how you define good or bad? I am a good witch in terms of the fact that I only use my magic for good. I am a bad witch in terms that I don't always do rituals when I should.  :-
http://www.wicca.com/tccblu.jpg

So then this must be the logo^

Some may use that logo.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 10/29/06 at 2:24 pm

what kind of spells have you cast?  Do you read fortunes? or have some other 'gift' in the paranormal? (i.e. psychic abilities, dream interpretation, abilities to talk to spirits)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 2:59 pm

If you read right below my name on my avatar, that should tell you.  ;) Of course, that question boils down to how you define good or bad? I am a good witch in terms of the fact that I only use my magic for good. I am a bad witch in terms that I don't always do rituals when I should.  :-[

You don't have to be a witch to be involved. Some people are uncomfortable calling themselves witches so they will say that they are Wiccan or a Pagan, or some other name. I know people are not witches, yet they do pretty much follow the path-i.e. like Carlos.

Cat

I did see it, but I couldn't resist asking the question that Glenda asks Dorothy.
So can men be called a witch, because I've always thought that term refered to females.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 3:32 pm

All can be found out in http://en.wiccipedia.org/wicci

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 3:34 pm

thanks, but if I read up on it, then I don't get to ask Cat  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 3:51 pm

what kind of spells have you cast?  Do you read fortunes? or have some other 'gift' in the paranormal? (i.e. psychic abilities, dream interpretation, abilities to talk to spirits)

I cast spells as the need arises. For instince, there is a little patch of land that techniclly belongs to the church next door (yeah, we live right next to a church-how ironic). When Carlos moved in here (long before I knew him) the church told him that he could do whatever he wanted to that strip of land. So he did-planted a tree and a few years ago, I planted a bunch of wildflowers. Then the church came sniffing around and said that they were going to move the fence they had to put it right on the propery line-meaning cutting us off to the tree and the flowers. I did a spell (and Carlos called a lawyer friend of his and wrote a letter to the church). We never heard anything back from them and we can enjoy the tree and the flowers. Other types of spells I do has to do with sending good wishes to someone or seeing that justice is served.

Yes, I do read Tarot cards. I have read for people but I have never charged anyone when I read the cards for them. I also interrept dreams (as many on this board can attest to).

I do "feel" presence sometimes when others do not. But I wouldn't say that I can communicate with spirits. I also have a bit of E.S.P. I have a tendency of answering people's question without them asking. Sometimes I KNOW something is going to happen. It is not highly active but every now and again it does click.

I did see it, but I couldn't resist asking the question that Glenda asks Dorothy.
So can men be called a witch, because I've always thought that term refered to females.

I knew what you were getting at. I have used the quote many times myself.  ;) 

Men are also called witches. In Wiccan there is no such thing as a "warlock" as they discribe men in old movies and even "Bewitched".

Thanks for the link but when I clicked on it, it didn't work.  :-\\

thanks, but if I read up on it, then I don't get to ask Cat  :(

;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 4:11 pm

Cat, I have a question.  I have had people who are into the "Black" and even "Grey" who have asked me "What I am?" Which kind of freaked me out.  I have paranormal experiences, but I'm not evil.  An expert that I went to has said that I am about as close to Shamanism as you can get without being one"  I believe in Ancestor worship".  I guess my question is how do you deal with it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 4:26 pm

Cat, I have a question.  I have had people who are into the "Black" and even "Grey" who have asked me "What I am?" Which kind of freaked me out.  I have paranormal experiences, but I'm not evil.  An expert that I went to has said that I am about as close to Shamanism as you can get without being one"  I believe in Ancestor worship".  I guess my question is how do you deal with it?

How do I deal with paranormal experiences or how do I deal with idiots who don't know what they are talking about? As for the paranormal experiences, I try to take them in stride. I know when my E.S.P. starts clicking, there is a reason. Some higher power-whether it be the Goddess, the Universe or whatever wants me know something and maybe do something about it. As for the idiots, I try to ignore them. There are many people out there who think that Wicca means devilworshiping. Sometimes I try to educate them. Other times I just say, "Whatever". The thing is you have to be comfortable with your gifts and yourself. Once you do that, than you can use those gifts for good and it doesn't matter what others say.

I hope that answers your question.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/29/06 at 4:36 pm

How do I deal with paranormal experiences or how do I deal with idiots who don't know what they are talking about? As for the paranormal experiences, I try to take them in stride. I know when my E.S.P. starts clicking, there is a reason. Some higher power-whether it be the Goddess, the Universe or whatever wants me know something and maybe do something about it. As for the idiots, I try to ignore them. There are many people out there who think that Wicca means devilworshiping. Sometimes I try to educate them. Other times I just say, "Whatever". The thing is you have to be comfortable with your gifts and yourself. Once you do that, than you can use those gifts for good and it doesn't matter what others say.

I hope that answers your question.

Cat

Cat, you have been a wonderful "advertisement" for Wicca.  You are a kind, generous, caring person who is also very thoughtful and intelligent.  If more people knew witches like you, Wicca would probably flourish!  :)

Written By: spaceace on 10/29/06 at 4:39 pm

Yes, it does answer my question.  It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.  It makes other people feel uncomfortable.  Someone once said something about me. "of course she has lots of Friends, half of them are dead"  I kind of like it that way. :) 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/29/06 at 5:40 pm

Cat, you have been a wonderful "advertisement" for Wicca.  You are a kind, generous, caring person who is also very thoughtful and intelligent.  If more people knew witches like you, Wicca would probably flourish!  :)

AWWWW, thanks. You are making me blush. (And applause).

Yes, it does answer my question.  It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.  It makes other people feel uncomfortable.  Someone once said something about me. "of course she has lots of Friends, half of them are dead"  I kind of like it that way. :) 

If other people have a problem with that-that is their problem, NOT yours. If you are comfortable with, enjoy.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Abix on 10/30/06 at 8:09 am

Do Wiccans believe in 'God' in the traditional biblical sense? What about Jesus Christ?  Do they believe in "Satan" as in there is an actual Satan or devil?  Or do they believe more in the concept of 'good' and 'evil' without representatives of the two concepts themselves ? (i.e. God/Jesus/Deity of your choice= good, Satan/Devil/Evil Spirit of your choice= bad)?  I'm not sure if my question is coming out clearly or not... the more I talk, the more bumbled it gets.. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/06 at 10:45 am

Do Wiccans believe in 'God' in the traditional biblical sense? What about Jesus Christ?  Do they believe in "Satan" as in there is an actual Satan or devil?  Or do they believe more in the concept of 'good' and 'evil' without representatives of the two concepts themselves ? (i.e. God/Jesus/Deity of your choice= good, Satan/Devil/Evil Spirit of your choice= bad)?  I'm not sure if my question is coming out clearly or not... the more I talk, the more bumbled it gets.. :P

Wiccans believe in the Goddess and the God-they rule together. Some give them names, others do not. Each witch usually has his/her own diety they perfer. (On my personal alter, I have a statue of Venus for the Goddess and a statue of Dionysus for The God,). There is no such thing as the devil or Satan in Wicca. However, the God is also known as the "Horned God" which gives Christians the impression of a devil. The myth goes that the Goddess gives birth to the God at the Winter Solstice-Dec. 21 (hmmm, sounds a lot like Christmas, huh?). The God transforms from the Goddess' child into her lover and on Beltane-May 1, they celebrate their love. I have heard different stories where the Goddess is already pregnant at Beltane or the child is conceived on Beltane. The God dies on Samhain (pronounced  "Sow-een,")-Oct. 31, Halloween, only to be reborn again on the Solstice.

Good and evil forces do exist and witches know that humans can cause much evil. That is why there is something called "The Three-Fold" rule. What that means, whatever you do to or for someone will come back to you 3 times. That is why no respectable witch will do harm.

Cat

Written By: Abix on 10/31/06 at 10:52 am

thanks, Cat for the explanation. :)

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 01/06/07 at 2:43 pm

I have a few friends who are Wiccan, and back when I was in high school before I realized I was agnostic, I dabbled in a little Wicca thanks to my friend Steven. But it seemed to me that their spells are the equivalent to the prayers of Christianity.

So here's my question to you: Do you think that Wicca's spells are the same as Christianity's prayers? They both provide some sense of hope and they try to change something. And there's no physical proof of both really working most of the time (sorry, I'm agnostic. I have to question these things).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/07 at 3:10 pm

I have a few friends who are Wiccan, and back when I was in high school before I realized I was agnostic, I dabbled in a little Wica thanks to my friend Steven. But it seemed to me that their spells are the equivalent to the prayers of Christianity.

So here's my question to you: Do you think that Wicca's spells are the same as Christianity's prayers? They both provide some sense of hope and they try to change something. And there's no physical proof of both really working most of the time (sorry, I'm agnostic. I have to question these things).

In a sense they are equivalent. The difference lie in the fact that with Christianity, people ask God to do the changing. In Wicca, people try to do the changing themselves (with help from the Goddess).

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/09/07 at 6:08 am

I heard Tori Amos is Wiccan.Is it true?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/07 at 12:43 pm

I heard Tori Amos is Wiccan.Is it true?

Don't know.

Cat

Written By: pink daisy on 01/27/07 at 5:13 pm

Hi Cat!
I'd figured you were a wiccan before I stumbled across your thread, but I'm really chuffed you're so open to questions.  I've been a wiccan all my life but I only just put a name to it, and lately I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.  Are you solitary or do you belong to a coven?  I'm leaning towards hedgewitch myself - it kind of ties in with my job (midwife) and the fact that I've been into healing for years, first as a nurse and then later spiritual healing and using crystals.  I also read tarot for my friends and family.  I always believed in the power of nature rather than in God, and have always tried to live in line with the Wiccan Rede, although I didn't know what it was until recently.  My question is, do you think it is necessary to learn from other wiccans?  I'm really not into the idea of joining a coven.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 2:54 pm

Hi Cat!
I'd figured you were a wiccan before I stumbled across your thread, but I'm really chuffed you're so open to questions.  I've been a wiccan all my life but I only just put a name to it, and lately I've been reading everything I can get my hands on.  Are you solitary or do you belong to a coven?  I'm leaning towards hedgewitch myself - it kind of ties in with my job (midwife) and the fact that I've been into healing for years, first as a nurse and then later spiritual healing and using crystals.  I also read tarot for my friends and family.  I always believed in the power of nature rather than in God, and have always tried to live in line with the Wiccan Rede, although I didn't know what it was until recently.  My question is, do you think it is necessary to learn from other wiccans?  I'm really not into the idea of joining a coven.

I, too was a witch all my life but didn't realize it until about 15 years ago or so. At the time I still wasn't comfortable calling myself a witch (2000 of bad propaganda really works).  It took me many years to finally come out of the "Broom Closet". I am a solitary witch. I don't believe in organized religion and being a part of coven would be organized. I have nothing against covens per say-it is just not for me-but some people need that structure.

I think there are two schools of thought. Some people believe that you have to be "trained a year and a day" in order to be a true witch. There are others who believe that you can be self-taught. I have never had any "formal training". All I learned, I learned from books. In a way, you can say that Scott Cunningham is my teacher. I have most of his books and if you haven't read any of his stuff, I HIGHLY recommend them. (Unfortunately, he left this world too soon.  :\'( :\'( :\'()

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/28/07 at 3:34 pm

Do Wiccans have ceremonies for events like weddings or births or deaths?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/28/07 at 3:53 pm

Do Wiccans have ceremonies for events like weddings or births or deaths?

Yes. In fact, Carlos & I had a Wiccan wedding (which was Carlos' idea actually). We did the handfasting (which they tied our hands together-where the term "tying the knot" comes from) and we jumped over the broom which is similar to "carrying the bride across the threshhold". There was something else we did which I didn't know about until about 2 weeks before the wedding, which was that all our guests tied little ribbons on our wedding broom. As they tied the ribbon on, they each made a wish for us. The broom is on the wall in our dinning room with everyone's wishes for us on it.  ;D We did have one person not come because she heard it was going to be Wiccan (she wasn't really a friend to begin with and in my book, she lost any hope of ever becoming a friend). We heard nothing but good things about the ceremony. My mother, the die-heart Episcopalian, had tears in her eyes and thought it was such a beautiful ceremony.

There are ceremonies for births and deaths too but to tell you the truth, I'm not too familiar with what they are.

Cat

Written By: pink daisy on 01/28/07 at 5:07 pm

I, too was a witch all my life but didn't realize it until about 15 years ago or so. At the time I still wasn't comfortable calling myself a witch (2000 of bad propaganda really works).  It took me many years to finally come out of the "Broom Closet". I am a solitary witch. I don't believe in organized religion and being a part of coven would be organized. I have nothing against covens per say-it is just not for me-but some people need that structure.

I think there are two schools of thought. Some people believe that you have to be "trained a year and a day" in order to be a true witch. There are others who believe that you can be self-taught. I have never had any "formal training". All I learned, I learned from books. In a way, you can say that Scott Cunningham is my teacher. I have most of his books and if you haven't read any of his stuff, I HIGHLY recommend them. (Unfortunately, he left this world too soon.  :\'( :\'( :\'()

Cat

Thanks, Cat  :)

Written By: whitewolf on 04/04/07 at 6:17 am

what do you think about candle magic?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/07 at 12:43 pm

what do you think about candle magic?

Pretty cool actually. Of course I use candles in just about all the magic I do-but not exclusively candle magic.

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 04/05/07 at 3:18 pm

ok, thanks cat  :) I have been doing some reading on the use of candles in spells. I find it pretty cool, its something I never really thought of before, not until the last couple months anyway. I have been doing some of the spells that I have found, and trying to word some of my own. so far its working for me.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/07 at 3:37 pm

ok, thanks cat  :) I have been doing some reading on the use of candles in spells. I find it pretty cool, its something I never really thought of before, not until the last couple months anyway. I have been doing some of the spells that I have found, and trying to word some of my own. so far its working for me.  ;)

Way cool. Shall I ask? Are you a "Born again Pagan"?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: whitewolf on 04/05/07 at 8:00 pm

Way cool. Shall I ask? Are you a "Born again Pagan"?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

;D ;D

actually not really sure yet what i am going to do. I have been a christian all my life but my views have been changing some, so i have been just thinking  things over.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/07 at 2:38 pm

;D ;D

actually not really sure yet what i am going to do. I have been a christian all my life but my views have been changing some, so i have been just thinking  things over.

Nothing wrong with that. I know there are a lot of "born again Pagans" who were brought up in the Christian faith and they have combined aspects of both into their own religion. I am a firm believer that religion is VERY personal. You should practice what you believe and who cares what anyone else says (just as long as you don't hurt anyone).

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/08 at 10:55 am

Since this subject came up in another thread, I thought that I would bump this one up for all of those who were not aware that this thread is here.

Cat

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 6:04 pm

hi, i'm glad to have found this thread, i'm currently agnostic my family is catholic and my mom goes to church regularly she used to make me go up until i was 18 i'm now 27 i have been reading up on wicca and i do like the idea that it is an earth based religion, i bought a cute little pentagram ring and plan on wearing it but i know everyone thinks its satanic i know it isn't i was wondering what kinds of things to expect wearing it to work since i have two holy rollers there who want to save everyone. ;) i'm thinking they may tell me i can't wear it but if thats the case then others can't wear their crosses. can they do this?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/08 at 6:42 pm

hi, i'm glad to have found this thread, i'm currently agnostic my family is catholic and my mom goes to church regularly she used to make me go up until i was 18 i'm now 27 i have been reading up on wicca and i do like the idea that it is an earth based religion, i bought a cute little pentagram ring and plan on wearing it but i know everyone thinks its satanic i know it isn't i was wondering what kinds of things to expect wearing it to work since i have two holy rollers there who want to save everyone. ;) i'm thinking they may tell me i can't wear it but if thats the case then others can't wear their crosses. can they do this?

Hmmm, good question and I'm not too sure I know the answer to that one-it depends on a few things. Are these two people the owners of your workplace? If they are not, then they have no right telling you what you can or can't wear. If they ARE the owners, then I'm not too sure what your recourse is. A lot depends on how far you are willing to take things. You can always sue for the right to practice your religion (guaranteed under the First Amendment of the Constitution) but that entails hiring a lawyer, not to mention receiving a lot of flack.

Oh, and I am assuming you know to wear the pentagram with the point up (the top point representing the Goddess-the other four the elements, air, fire, water, earth). But, with a ring, I'm not too sure which way is up.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 03/02/08 at 8:51 pm

I hadn't seen this thread before: thanks for bumping it, Catwoman.

I have some questions for which I could not find satisfactory answers on the 'net (feel free to take a while to answer these  :D). I apologize for my own ignorance in advance, because, aside from you, I don't *think* I know any other Wiccans.

What religion is Wicca closest to in terms of overall beliefs?

Is Wicca a feminist or matriarchal religion?

Is "Witch" synonymous with being "Wiccan"? Is it a slur? What are male Wiccans called?

How accurate is this video in regard to Wicca?

How much of Wicca borrows from Christianity (or vice-versa)?

How many different "types" of Wicca are there - i.e., are there the equivalences to the numerous subcategories of Christians?

What are the major misconceptions about Wicca?

~~~~~

I find it curious that I have in common quite a few viewpoints with what I perceive as Wiccan beliefs. Although I declare myself as atheist (not in the common manner of rejecting the possibility of a god or gods, but in rejecting theism), I find it impossible to reject most of the little I know about Wicca on a personal level.  Perhaps I heard it best while doing preliminary research: "Wicca is a benign religion". Though the skeptic in me would believe that "benign religion" is an oxymoron, I can't cite, find nor remember any examples to prove otherwise in the case of Wicca. 

Last question: Did you put a spell on me?  :-\\

;)

Ant

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 8:55 pm

Hi thanks for your response, i didn't know that about the points thanks, i also live in NYC and work in an animal shelter that is partly run by the city sort of. its complicated. i do forsee some flak from people that i would just have to educate on the pentagram

Written By: Green Lantern on 03/02/08 at 9:29 pm

Have you heard of Alan Wicca ?  ???

Alan Wicca         
                                                  http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/whickeralan/whickeralanIMAGE/whickeralan.jpg
Wicca's World was a British television series that ran from 1959 to 1988, presented by journalist and broadcaster Alan Wicca !

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2666349.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=6E41E83E90A345BD3E3255F29099BE8EA55A1E4F32AD3138

Yes .... a 'few' of them appeared in a famous 'Monty Python' sketch ! Here they are on 'Wicca island' ^  :D

Here's an amusing little anecdote about Alan Wicca from 'Wicca-pedia' :

Alan Whicker revealed that while in America one time he heard an "Alan Whicker" impersonation contest on a local radio show (possibly influenced by the Monty Python sketch). He rang up and entered as a contestant and came third.

How sad is THAT !  :\'(  :D

Yes, a similar incident happened to Charlie Chaplin, who entered a Charlie Chaplin look-alike competition, and came 3rd !  ;D

Oh .. I only just realised (cough !)  .. his name's spelt 'Whicker'    :-[ 

Should I post this after all ?  ???  :-\\  Decisions, decisions !  ::)

Yeah ! >:(  :P Why not !  ;D :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/08 at 11:59 am

I will do my best to answer all your questions.

I hadn't seen this thread before: thanks for bumping it, Catwoman.

I have some questions for which I could not find satisfactory answers on the 'net (feel free to take a while to answer these  :D). I apologize for my own ignorance in advance, because, aside from you, I don't *think* I know any other Wiccans.

What religion is Wicca closest to in terms of overall beliefs?

Wicca has roots in ancient times-it is really hard to say which religion it is closet too-Maybe some of the Native American religions.

Is Wicca a feminist or matriarchal religion?

In a way, yes. That is not to say that men don't have a role. As I said in another post, it honors the Goddess and the God-and yes, the Goddess is slightly higher than the God-but not by much.

Is "Witch" synonymous with being "Wiccan"? Is it a slur? What are male Wiccans called?

Males are also called witches. People do use the word "witch" as a slur-but it is not. The term "witch" in ancient times meant a healer. But Christianity twisted and distorted the word. Today, witches (such as myself) use the term with honor. 

Not really knowing that particular coven, I would guess it is accurate. Every coven, every witch really practices in their own way. There is no right way or wrong way. 

How much of Wicca borrows from Christianity (or vice-versa)?

Wicca is much older than Christianity-so Christianity borrows much from Wicca. The idea of the Goddess giving birth to the God on the Winter Solstice (Dec. 21st) sounds an awful like Mary giving birth to Jesus on Dec. 25th. Much of the Christmas traditions stem from Pagan beliefs-the holly, the tree, yule log (in fact, the Wiccan term for the Solstice is Yule) etc.  Back when Christians were becoming the dominate force in Europe-many did not want to give up the Dec. festival-the powers that be, just incorporated much of the ancient traditions so it doesn't have to be an either/or. The Easter egg is also a Pagan symbol for fertility. (And Easter is celebrated about the same time as Baltain).

How many different "types" of Wicca are there - i.e., are there the equivalences to the numerous subcategories of Christians?

That is the $25,000 question. Who knows. My belief is that if there are 10,000 Wiccans, there are 10,000 different subcategories. You do have some who belong to covens, some who are solitary witches (like me), there are some who practice one way and others who practice another way.

What are the major misconceptions about Wicca?

I would say the major misconception about Wicca is that we are devil worshipers. (I did lower case "d" on purpose). In Wicca there is no such thing as a devil. It stems from 2000 years of bad propaganda.

~~~~~

I find it curious that I have in common quite a few viewpoints with what I perceive as Wiccan beliefs. Although I declare myself as atheist (not in the common manner of rejecting the possibility of a god or gods, but in rejecting theism), I find it impossible to reject most of the little I know about Wicca on a personal level.  Perhaps I heard it best while doing preliminary research: "Wicca is a benign religion". Though the skeptic in me would believe that "benign religion" is an oxymoron, I can't cite, find nor remember any examples to prove otherwise in the case of Wicca. 

That sounds exactly like Carlos. Yes, he too is an atheist yet, he can believe that the Goddess as I call her, is really Mother Nature. No one can deny that Mother Nature exist when you watch her renew herself every spring, or dies every fall or even when a new baby is born (even though Christians call her God-which is fine).  He is very comfortable with Wicca-even practicing it along side of me while he still calls himself an atheist.

Last question: Did you put a spell on me?  :-\\

;)

Ant

I put a spell on you
’cause you’re mine
You better stop the things you do
I ain’t lyin’
No I ain’t lyin’

:D ;D ;D ;D

Serious, no. The only spell I will put on people are healing spells. When I was dating Carlos and wanted him in the worst way, I thought about putting a spell on him but I wanted him to come to me on his own-and he did.  ;D  Any witch will tell you that you CAN'T make anyone fall in love with you.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/08 at 12:01 pm

Have you heard of Alan Wicca ?  ???

Alan Wicca         
                                                  http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/whickeralan/whickeralanIMAGE/whickeralan.jpg
Wicca's World was a British television series that ran from 1959 to 1988, presented by journalist and broadcaster Alan Wicca !

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2666349.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=6E41E83E90A345BD3E3255F29099BE8EA55A1E4F32AD3138

Yes .... a 'few' of them appeared in a famous 'Monty Python' sketch ! Here they are on 'Wicca island' ^  :D

Here's an amusing little anecdote about Alan Wicca from 'Wicca-pedia' :

How sad is THAT !  :\'(  :D

Yes, a similar incident happened to Charlie Chaplin, who entered a Charlie Chaplin look-alike competition, and came 3rd !  ;D

Oh .. I only just realised (cough !)  .. his name's spelt 'Whicker'    :-[ 

Should I post this after all ?  ???  :-\\  Decisions, decisions !  ::)

Yeah ! >:(  :P Why not !  ;D :D

Sorry, never heard of Alan Wicca.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/08 at 6:06 am

Sorry, never heard of Alan Wicca.

Cat
Monty Python - Whicker Island

The Real Alan Whicker

Written By: Red Ant on 03/10/08 at 11:24 pm

Thank you for the answers, Catwoman. I thought about posting that Screamin' Jay Hawkins classic myself.  :)

One more question: do spells require ingredients, drawings, phases of the moon, threes (like in "Charmed") or just words?

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/08 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for the answers, Catwoman. I thought about posting that Screamin' Jay Hawkins classic myself.  :)

One more question: do spells require ingredients, drawings, phases of the moon, threes (like in "Charmed") or just words?

Ant

I think it depends on the spell and the witch. Different things work for different situations/people. And the biggest thing is what that person feels comfortable with.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/07/09 at 7:17 pm

I am trying to bump this topic up, for some new comers (and myself)! I have learned a lot I did not know before! 

I am interested to know about spell casting and such; I know it is used more for protection, healing, and good will - but is there a big book of spells???

Is there a language associated with Wicca (like Latin and Catholics or Yiddish and Jewish)???

There will be more questions but that is where I will leave it for now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/09 at 12:20 pm

I am trying to bump this topic up, for some new comers (and myself)! I have learned a lot I did not know before! 

I am interested to know about spell casting and such; I know it is used more for protection, healing, and good will - but is there a big book of spells???

Is there a language associated with Wicca (like Latin and Catholics or Yiddish and Jewish)???

There will be more questions but that is where I will leave it for now.

Thanks for bumping this thread up. I was thinking of doing the same thing but you beat me to it.

There are several books of spells-or as they are called "Book of Shadows". Most witches have their own Book of Shadows but they often consult others. There are even several on-line. http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/index.htm

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post but to me spells are recipes. For example, say spaghetti sauce-every chef/cook has their own recipe or favorite recipe for spaghetti sauce. The same thing with spells. What spell one witch may do for something, another may do something complete different. The key is finding one that you feel comfortable with and what works for you.

As for language, many Wiccan terms stem from Gaelic. But most spells are done in the language of the witch-for me, that would be English.  ;D ;D

Cat 

Written By: McDonald on 01/14/09 at 10:44 am

Ant

It seems pretty accurate, except for they mentioned Beltane being the first day of summer, which it is not. Midsummer (the summer solstice) is. A pagan of any European tradition could tell you that. I think the reporter may have gotten confused there.

In any case, I don't profess a religion but have formally considered myself pagan since I found out such a thing still existed (when I was 15).

I started out reading books about Wicca, and then the various neopagan cults and traditions (Celtic, Norse, Greek, Roman etc...), and to think this may all still be relevant in its modern reincarnation allowed me to set my mind free of all the protestant thought control I was reared in. Since then, I have found my beliefs to be ever-evolving, in sync with the changes in my life and in my perception. I am above all agnostic, but I do think there probably is some sort of ultimate spiritual force which makes up the universe.

My spirituality is a deeply personal thing, and it is for that reason that I do not take part in any neopagan fellowship. I frankly find many of those people to be freakish, for their dispositions and their deluded notions and not for their religious practices, mind you. Catwoman, you must have met quite a few weirdos in the last 15 years, you know the sort I mean. A number of people in the neopagan scene are like that, but there are plenty who do have their heads on straight.

I enjoy the mythology and traditions that come along with paganism. I also think that in a world with so much uncertainty, adding to the confusion with incredulous religious doctrines that one finds in the Abrahamic faiths, notions of heaven and hell and of an all-powerful man who watches everything you do, makes no sense at all. However, celebrating the concrete things in nature that you can see and that directly allow you to subsist, and in turn recognising it as a gift from an ultimate truth, if you are so inclined, makes perfect sense. So celebrating the seasons, the harvests, water and forests and the like only comes naturally to me. Even though I may do nothing to celebrate most of the pagan holidays, I am always aware of them. And when many people are celebrating Christmas, I am celebrating winter, and how it brings me close to my loved ones. When many celebrate Halloween for the hell of it, I am constantly thinking about my dead relatives and friends, and honouring them in my thoughts. In early October, though it is a bit after the traditional equinox, in Canada it is Thanksgiving, and while some foolish Canadians who watch too much TV think it has something to do with pilgrims (hello, this is not the States, morons), I know that it is to celebrate the harvest, and to count our blessings.

I rarely do any ceremonial things. From time to time I will, only when I feel it is appropriate, and only as a private affair. I don't pray to any gods. If I really feel the need to pray for something, I usually say a few words to a dead cousin. I know it seems weird, but that's what came naturally to me and I know a few other people who do the same thing.

Written By: McDonald on 01/14/09 at 10:51 am

Wicca is much older than Christianity-so Christianity borrows much from Wicca. The idea of the Goddess giving birth to the God on the Winter Solstice (Dec. 21st) sounds an awful like Mary giving birth to Jesus on Dec. 25th. Much of the Christmas traditions stem from Pagan beliefs-the holly, the tree, yule log (in fact, the Wiccan term for the Solstice is Yule) etc.  Back when Christians were becoming the dominate force in Europe-many did not want to give up the Dec. festival-the powers that be, just incorporated much of the ancient traditions so it doesn't have to be an either/or. The Easter egg is also a Pagan symbol for fertility. (And Easter is celebrated about the same time as Baltain).

I hate to be that guy, but I simply must make a correction. While the ancient traditions that Wicca honours and bases itself around are much older than Christianity, Wicca itself is a fairly new religion, about 50 or 60 years. It came to public notice in the 50's, with the 1954 publication of Gerald Gardner's book Witchcraft Today. He claimed that it was a secret cult going back for ages, but there is no evidence of this.

Wikipedia quote:

It is still a matter of controversy within the Wiccan community as to whether Gardner discovered an authentic pre-Christian religion, encountered a modern revival of such a religion, or simply created the religion of Wicca himself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/09 at 11:06 am

I hate to be that guy, but I simply must make a correction. While the ancient traditions that Wicca honours and bases itself around are much older than Christianity, Wicca itself is a fairly new religion, about 50 or 60 years. It came to public notice in the 50's, with the 1954 publication of Gerald Gardner's book Witchcraft Today. He claimed that it was a secret cult going back for ages, but there is no evidence of this.

Wikipedia quote:

True. But since the traditions are ancient-as well as the myths that go along with it, it may not be Wicca as we know it today, but it was some form of it. Ancient scholars usually just call it Paganism. But I am correct in saying that the traditions are older than Christianity and how Christianity borrowed for the ancient Pagan religions. (And yes, that is plural. There were more than one-and present day Wiccan has a bit of many of the ancient religions.)

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 01/15/09 at 2:08 pm

True. But since the traditions are ancient-as well as the myths that go along with it, it may not be Wicca as we know it today, but it was some form of it. Ancient scholars usually just call it Paganism. But I am correct in saying that the traditions are older than Christianity and how Christianity borrowed for the ancient Pagan religions. (And yes, that is plural. There were more than one-and present day Wiccan has a bit of many of the ancient religions.)

Cat

With that I agree completely. It was just the one sentence: 'Wicca is much older than Christianity-so Christianity borrows much from Wicca.' that would probably tend to mislead. I would personally state that both Christianity and Wicca borrow much from pre-Christian pagan religions (plural), and that Christianity borrows nothing from Wicca directly. 

Wicca's uniqueness in not only the study of religion itself, but also in the study of neopagan religions more specifically, is astonishing. With the veritable explosion of new converts to solitary Wiccan practice (particularly thanks to Cunningham's many contributions, not to mention those of his many followers who have also published), the possibilities of which directions one can take his or her own beliefs, gods, traditions and rituals in are endless. While all situations have their advantages and disadvantages, I think that ultimately this freedom is a good thing, not only for Wicca and other neopagan religions, but for people in general who are seeking a different way to approach spirituality.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/09 at 2:16 pm

With that I agree completely. It was just the one sentence: 'Wicca is much older than Christianity-so Christianity borrows much from Wicca.' that would probably tend to mislead. I would personally state that both Christianity and Wicca borrow much from pre-Christian pagan religions (plural), and that Christianity borrows nothing from Wicca directly. 

Wicca's uniqueness in not only the study of religion itself, but also in the study of neopagan religions more specifically, is astonishing. With the veritable explosion of new converts to solitary Wiccan practice (particularly thanks to Cunningham's many contributions, not to mention those of his many followers who have also published), the possibilities of which directions one can take his or her own beliefs, gods, traditions and rituals to are endless. While all situations have advantages and disadvantages, I think that ultimately this freedom is a good thing, not only for Wicca and other neopagan religions, but for people in general who are seeking a different way to approach spirituality.

I agree. For me, I first HEARD of Wicca around 1990 or so. I subscribed to Fate magazine. Then I got my first book about it-I really can't remember the name but it was written by Laurie Cabot-"THE Salem Witch" (as she likes to describe herself as).  I don't know if it was Laurie's writing or what but it really turned me off. I couldn't even finish the entire book. Then I discovered Scott Cunningham. So, in sense you can say that I am a follower of Cunningham even though I don't do EXACTLY everything as he has done. And yeah, it is a shame that he left this earth too soon.  :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Class of 84 on 03/16/09 at 5:27 pm

What do Wiccans believe about the teachings of Jesus Christ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/09 at 7:14 pm

What do Wiccans believe about the teachings of Jesus Christ?

Sorry about not answering sooner.

I can't speak for ALL Wiccans on this subject. I can only speak for myself. I believe that Jesus did exist. I believe he was a man, not the son of God. I believe that he was basically the Martin Luther King of his day-teaching about peace. Also, as a historian, I know that the New Testament was written decades after Jesus' time. Paul was a storyteller. He incorporated many different myths (Egyptian, Celtic, etc.) into his stories about Jesus. Then the other Apostles followed Paul's lead and extended the story from there. So, much of what is in the Bible is based on myth. However, there is a kernel of truth in it.

Like I said, this is what I believe. For any of you who differ in your opinion-that is fine. I'm not saying this to diminish your beliefs but to state mine. I do not intend to offend anyone who holds different beliefs than I do.

Cat 

Written By: wildcard on 05/29/10 at 12:31 am

bump

I just read through the comments here.  8)  I found it all interesting, there's a lot I'd agree with you on.

I was brought up Christian and later getting into Christianity as a fellowship and the Bible being a guideline.  I use to say dear God and Jesus, but I don't any more I just say God referring to whatever this higher athority is.  I seem to know people by their heart.  I seem to communicate with this higher athority.  I call myself, no label these days.

enough about me, this was neet,  as told witches were bad and all that

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/10 at 10:05 am

bump

I just read through the comments here.   8)  I found it all interesting, there's a lot I'd agree with you on.

I was brought up Christian and later getting into Christianity as a fellowship and the Bible being a guideline.  I use to say dear God and Jesus, but I don't any more I just say God referring to whatever this higher athority is.  I seem to know people by their heart.  I seem to communicate with this higher athority.  I call myself, no label these days.

enough about me, this was neet,  as told witches were bad and all that

There are bad witches-just like there are bad Christians. But any self-respectful witch will not use magic for ill.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/29/10 at 11:33 am

Yeah I got it, people can be bad or good,  witch, Christian whatever and can bless or curse.

I meant to say that when I was young, I was told that the withes were evil,wrong the whole belief.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/10 at 5:23 pm

Yeah I got it, people can be bad or good,  witch, Christian whatever and can bless or curse.

I meant to say that when I was young, I was told that the withes were evil,wrong the whole belief.

Actually, the word "Witch" means "Healer". In ancient times, it was the witches who would practice herbology and knew what heals. Most people don't know that because of 2000 years of propaganda from Christianity that painted witches as satan worshipers and evil. During the Burning Times, many villages didn't have any women left because they were all burned.

There are still a lot of people who believe the old stories that witches are evil. I put witches in the same category as gays-having to hide who they truly are because society doesn't except it. Well, as Bob Dylan once said, the times they are a-changing and I think today, more people are opened minded. Because of this, many witches are coming out of the "broom closet."

Cat 

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/10 at 1:24 pm

I remember reading that from history books that villages had no women because they were to busy accusing them of witches.

I got disney's the sword and the stone in my head where Merlin casts a spel to wash the dishes and sweep the floors.

I don't know what this is or if you've ever had experence with anything like this.  It seems to work with anything on a string and will swing depending on if the answer to your question is yes or no.  I've read about this in a magic trick( not spells) book and have proof that it works for me.  I have no Idea what the source of the power may be or what causes it to happen so I haven't used it since my discovery and proof that it works. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/10 at 1:53 pm

I remember reading that from history books that villages had no women because they were to busy accusing them of witches.

I got disney's the sword and the stone in my head where Merlin casts a spel to wash the dishes and sweep the floors.

I don't know what this is or if you've ever had experence with anything like this.  It seems to work with anything on a string and will swing depending on if the answer to your question is yes or no.  I've read about this in a magic trick( not spells) book and have proof that it works for me.  I have no Idea what the source of the power may be or what causes it to happen so I haven't used it since my discovery and proof that it works. 

Man, I WISH I could cast a spell to wash the dishes and sweep the floors.  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D

You are talking about a pendulum. While I have used them once or twice, it is not something that I work with on a regular basis. Why? I have no idea. I guess for me, cards (as in Tarot) are more my speed.

http://www.wiccanwitchcraftblog.com/2008/10/how-to-use-pendulum.html

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/10 at 3:40 pm

Okay some of this seems silly, the way s in which to clean it, I'm not a ritual follower, but yes I agree that it opens a spiritual world.  I think it can be very dangerous which is why I'd rather not touch it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/10 at 4:28 pm

Okay some of this seems silly, the way s in which to clean it, I'm not a ritual follower, but yes I agree that it opens a spiritual world.  I think it can be very dangerous which is why I'd rather not touch it.

What they mean by cleaning it-not getting off the dirt per say but getting rid of energy that was left there from other uses. When we took over the entire house (we turned a two family house into a one family house), the upstairs that was rented out had so much negative energy that you could really feel it. I used a smudge stick of sage to cleanse that negative energy-and it worked. A few weeks ago, we bought a beautiful antique piece of furniture. We don't know who owned it before or what kind of energy that had been imprinted on it-so we cleansed it with a smudge stick of sage.

Also, to cleanse crystals is to put them in sea salt overnight or bury them outside overnight.

As for being "dangerous", it can be but that depends on how it is done. You have to learn to empower yourself so negative forces can't penetrate your magic. The person who is working magic for whatever reason has to focus on good. Usually when magic is preformed, a witch will set up a sacred circle, cleansing the area of negative energy and protecting that circle from negative energy from getting in. If you ever have seen the movie Hocus Pocus where the girl creates a circle around them with salt-that is one way to do it. When I create my sacred circles, I use sea salt in a bowl (earth/North), rain water which I caught on the Vernal Equinox (water/West), a candle (fire/South), and incense (air/East).  Sometimes, just spinning around with your arms out and telling the negative forces to leave/stay away works.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/10 at 6:28 pm

I've had times in my life where I've told negitive forces to go away.  Again I don't do anything like insence burning or say holy water because I believe they are not needed.  I do ask what I'm calling God and I recieve like the Bible says, but that's just me. 

Yes depending on how it's done and I feel that I am a human and shouldn't be messing with the spiritual world so that's why I choose not to.  I wouldn't need to make a cirlce  to focas on good,  I can just tell myself to focus on good.  Again that's just me. 

Written By: wildcard on 05/30/10 at 10:15 pm

and thanks for answering my question.  I'm done talking, I don't see a need to start a big list of what I do ad don't agree with you on.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/11 at 4:05 pm

Time to bump this thread up.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/11 at 2:57 pm

What's the main idea or belief of Wiccas?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/11 at 6:27 pm

What's the main idea or belief of Wiccas?

Here is the full version of the Wicca Rede:

That is basically it.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/11 at 7:32 pm

Here is the full version of the Wicca Rede:

That is basically it.

Cat

Thanks.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/12 at 3:08 pm

Time once again to bump this thread.

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/19/12 at 3:33 pm

Approx how many people is the world believe in Wicca, or are part of Wicca?
Have you attended a wicca convention?
Where in the world is the largest concentration of Wiccan's  (and if it's in the US, what states..)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/12 at 3:59 pm

Approx how many people is the world believe in Wicca, or are part of Wicca?
Have you attended a wicca convention?
Where in the world is the largest concentration of Wiccan's  (and if it's in the US, what states..)

The short answer is I don't know.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, there are a lot of witches still in the broom closet so it is really hard to determine the numbers. Also, when it comes to figure gathering, it can be filed under Wicca, Pagan, Other, so it is sometimes difficult to pin-point exactly. But estimates are roughly 750,000 in the U.S. I'm really not sure where the most concentrated area is but my guess would be Salem, Massachusetts-after all it is called "The Witch City."

BTW: This is a film about Salem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-FlCZXAOE

I know one of the filmmakers of this film-in fact he helped me when I first came out of the broom closet. We see him from time to time.

And no, I have never been to a convention.

Cat

Written By: warped on 09/19/12 at 4:04 pm

Other than yourself any famous "Wiccans" out there (celebs, politicians) ?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/12 at 4:44 pm

Other than yourself any famous "Wiccans" out there (celebs, politicians) ?

I'm glad you think that I am famous. (or is that infamous?  :-\\) ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

Lisa Simpson?  ;D ;D ;D

That is actually a good question and I'm not too sure the answer. Most of the "famous" witches are the ones who write books on Wicca. I'm not too sure if any celebs actually came out of the broom closet if they are Wiccan. I know there was a rumor going around that Stevie Nicks is a witch but she says that she is not.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 09/20/12 at 8:29 am

Thank you Cat, for this thread, it is very informative! I think if more people understood what Wicca really is, and how it works, it would be far more easily accepted. :)

Question: If a person wanted to learn about how to use the Tarot, do you recommend any certain books, or do you recommend that people form their own interpretations of the deck?

Written By: warped on 09/20/12 at 9:13 am

Question: If a person wanted to learn about how to use the Tarot, do you recommend any certain books, or do you recommend that people form their own interpretations of the deck?

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. ~ Steven Wright  ;)

Sorry, just had to jump in.. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/12 at 9:52 am

Thank you Cat, for this thread, it is very informative! I think if more people understood what Wicca really is, and how it works, it would be far more easily accepted. :)

Hmmm, good question. I don't know if there is any ONE book. Most decks come with the interpretation. After doing readings-you get to learn what these interpretations are without using the book. (Unfortunately, I still need the book.  :-http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3326041772_3ddb4f8ec6.jpg

When you get a new deck, you shouldn't have anyone touch them for a while. You have to put your essence on them. I have heard about putting the deck under your pillow at night but that would never work for me because I toss and turn too much. I took each card and rubbed my hands over it. I did this several times. After about a week or so, it would be "safe" to let someone else touch the cards. When you are reading, you should have the person who you are doing the reading for shuffle them.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/20/12 at 9:52 am

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. ~ Steven Wright  ;)

Sorry, just had to jump in.. :D

I LOVE Steven Wright.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/10/12 at 12:33 pm

Is there a "Wicca" type holiday, or do people who are "Wiccans" have a special celebration during halloween time? 

Is Don Carlos a "wiccan" too?

Are there any organisations ( religious or non-religious) who give wiccans any trouble?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/12 at 2:59 pm

Is there a "Wicca" type holiday, or do people who are "Wiccans" have a special celebration during halloween time? 

Is Don Carlos a "wiccan" too?

Are there any organisations ( religious or non-religious) who give wiccans any trouble?

There are 8 Wiccan holidays or Sabbats. The coincide with the Solstices & Equinoxes. It is easier to show you the Wheel of the Year.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Wheel_of_the_Year.svg

Is Don Carlos a Wiccan? Hmmm, good question. He claims he is not but yet, he participates with me in rituals and it was he who wanted the Wiccan wedding ceremony we had.

As for organizations giving Wiccans trouble-of course there are. Personally, I haven't experience it but there are hate groups who dislike anyone who aren't like themselves. 

Cat

Written By: warped on 11/11/12 at 3:02 pm

There are 8 Wiccan holidays or Sabbats. The coincide with the Solstices & Equinoxes. It is easier to show you the Wheel of the Year.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Wheel_of_the_Year.svg

Is Don Carlos a Wiccan? Hmmm, good question. He claims he is not but yet, he participates with me in rituals and it was he who wanted the Wiccan wedding ceremony we had.

As for organizations giving Wiccans trouble-of course there are. Personally, I haven't experience it but there are hate groups who dislike anyone who aren't like themselves. 

Cat

Thanks!

Personally, I haven't experience it but there are hate groups who dislike anyone who aren't like themselves. 

Cat

Nice way of saying it.  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/07/15 at 9:43 pm

How close are movie portrayals of Wicca to the actual practice of it?  Do you have to be in a coven?  I like some of the principles of what I think I understand of Wicca, but I've never really been gung-ho about any religion and take bits and pieces from everything.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/15 at 10:29 am

How close are movie portrayals of Wicca to the actual practice of it?  Do you have to be in a coven?  I like some of the principles of what I think I understand of Wicca, but I've never really been gung-ho about any religion and take bits and pieces from everything.

How close are movie portrayals? It depends on the movie. I haven't seen too many new movies (they always portrayed witches as evil in older films) so I really don't know which ones are fairly accurate and which ones aren't. The only one that I have recalled seeing that is close is Practical Magic.

You don't have to belong to a coven. Witches who don't belong to a coven are called solitary witches-which I am one. I remember having a conversation with my dad telling him how I didn't like organized religions. He then told me that I should join a coven. I reminded him that a covens ARE organized religion. He then realized his mistake.

That is what I like about Wicca-there aren't a lot of rules and you can practice anyway you see fit as long as you follow the Wicca Rede-well the last part:

I confess that I don't always follow the FULL Rede:

http://wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm

I take a bit from Episcopal (that I was baptized when I was 10) & Judaism that is also part of my heritage (my father's side of the family was Jewish) and combine that with Wicca and it is MINE religion-no one else's. So in a sense, my religion is like yours, bits & pieces for everything.

Cat 

Written By: meesa on 01/10/15 at 12:38 am

Such a simple statement, some may think-but if you apply it to your own motivations and actions, it can be very tough to do!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/19 at 4:26 am

Excuse me, but not a question on Wicca.

Let me explain, I am currently watching "West Side Story" and during it just as the sharks are leaving, the British National Anthem was whistled, why?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/19 at 3:01 pm

Excuse me, but not a question on Wicca.

Let me explain, I am currently watching "West Side Story" and during it just as the sharks are leaving, the British National Anthem was whistled, why?

No, it has nothing to do with Wicca but I do believe it is because the U.S. has used the tune (God Save the Queen) to My Country Tis Of Thee which is considered to be a patriotic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnH_OIgNgSY

But why did you chose THIS thread to ask the question?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/19 at 3:13 pm

No, it has nothing to do with Wicca but I do believe it is because the U.S. has used the tune (God Save the Queen) to My Country Tis Of Thee which is considered to be a patriotic song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnH_OIgNgSY

But why did you chose THIS thread to ask the question?

Cat
Many thanks!

I choose it for it would catch your attention, I do apologise with it, and I knew that you would know.

Check for new replies or respond here...