inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about India

Written By: imadick on 10/28/06 at 11:47 pm

Well ask... but dont expect answer to all the questions u all ask :p
  i will try my best at answering thou..whtever i know .........................as a indian........lol
;D     

Subject: Re: Ask me about India

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 1:23 am

do you like sitar music and the musicians who play it like Ravi Shankar

I love it, and my favorite is Ravi's daughter Anoushka.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 1:29 am

Will India beat Australia at Chandigarh in cricket today?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 1:31 am

do you like sitar music and the musicians who play it like Ravi Shankar

I love it, and my favorite is Ravi's daughter Anoushka.

Wooops...i am more into western country music :) but i love all thsoe as well..but not much into it ;)

Will India beat Australia at Chandigarh in cricket today?

Dont ask me about Cricket... Indians consider cricket as their religion how dumb!
Even after being a Indian...its of no use i dont have any interest in cricket
And about if india will beat australia...depends on who has done the match fixing  ;D lets hope someday these ppl will play to win and not for money...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 1:36 am

Dont ask me about Cricket... Indians consider cricket as their religion how dumb!
Even after being a Indian...its of no use i dont have any interest in cricket
And about if india will beat australia...depends on who has done the match fixing  ;D lets hope someday these ppl will play to win and not for money...
You must have played cricket though?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 1:39 am

You must have played cricket though?

Yah took a plastic bat and hit some balls when i was a 5 yr old :p thats it... but even that wont give me any supernatural powers...to know in advance who will win  ;D
And still i stick to my opinion...depends on what they decided when the fixed the match ;)  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 1:42 am

Yah took a plastic bat and hit some balls when i was a 5 yr old :p thats it... but even that wont give me any supernatural powers...to know in advance who will win  ;D
And still i stick to my opinion...depends on what they decided when the fixed the match ;)  8)
It is now that match fixing has been totally ruled out and does not exist anymore.

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 1:49 am

It is now that match fixing has been totally ruled out and does not exist anymore.

God only knows.....  ??? No one can be sure... with what i know about things going on in my country...match fixing still exists... but still...God only knows.. 
  Lets hope they play for their country & win... We will have to wait and watch who wins....  i wouldnt feel sorry for India if India looses...or neither would i be happy if they win...  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 1:50 am

God only knows.....  ??? No one can be sure... with what i know about things going on in my country...match fixing still exists... but still...God only knows..   
  Lets hope they play for their country & win... We will have to wait and watch who wins....  i wouldnt feel sorry for India if India looses...or neither would i be happy if they win...  :)
As long as it is a very good game.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 1:57 am

not so much a question about India, but about a movie where the lead actor moves from India to the USA. what did you think of the movie The Guru, did you see it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 2:03 am

What is the #1 Selling Single in the India Charts this week?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/29/06 at 2:09 am

I once read a story about the harsh life in poverty stricken Calcutta, and there were these young men who would let people pay them to allow a cobra to bite them on the tongue. Have you heard of that & does the practice still take place?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 4:27 am

not so much a question about India, but about a movie where the lead actor moves from India to the USA. what did you think of the movie The Guru, did you see it?

I found that movie funny... i mean i saw just for a while then i got bored.... such movies dont interest me in reality... i am not much into movies... And i like all the action movies more... :) The guru i just saw a bit of it...

What is the #1 Selling Single in the India Charts this week?

I have no idea... :) actually in india most of the music....is actually from Movies... ...and depends on how well the movie goes...lol ...

I once read a story about the harsh life in poverty stricken Calcutta, and there were these young men who would let people pay them to allow a cobra to bite them on the tongue. Have you heard of that & does the practice still take place?

No i have never heard of it... But yah there are lots of weird practices and superstiotous stuff going on around in our country..... Calcutta is not poverty stricken but the most crowded city thou.... maybe if you use google earth... you would love to Hover over Indian citys :)
  Cobra to bite them on the tongue? hmmm one thing...those might not be venomus once...:)for sure....

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 4:38 am

I have no idea... :) actually in india most of the music....is actually from Movies... ...and depends on how well the movie goes...lol ...
So what is the best selling film in India at the moment?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 4:50 am

So what is the best selling film in India at the moment?

There are two movies....at top right now....

DON      &      Jaan E Mann

DON is more of a action moive
and jaan e mann is romantic...love sotry.....        i like jaan e manns songs more..... just to show you one song of jaan e mann my fav as of now...frm that movie i will add a link -->  its a trailer of that movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SA7M9Hw7AE

Written By: danootaandme on 10/29/06 at 6:06 am

The picture we get of India is one of a huge disparity between the rich and poor and millions of people crowded together, hungry, and dying of disease.  Is it as dire as the west makes it out to be.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 6:24 am

How hot does India get?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 7:25 am

Have you ever travelled on a roof of the train?

Written By: Abix on 10/29/06 at 7:36 am

Has security tightened since the recent bombings in Mumbai? How would you say the people in India  react to such an event as compared to how westerners react (for example the London bombings, or the 9/11 attack)?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/29/06 at 9:22 am

Why did the Indian Government change Bombay to Mombia?

Written By: Abix on 10/29/06 at 9:39 am

what are some of the common misconceptions that western people have about India and Indian culture? 

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 10:00 am

The picture we get of India is one of a huge disparity between the rich and poor and millions of people crowded together, hungry, and dying of disease.  Is it as dire as the west makes it out to be.

See the thing is... thats absolutely wrong... India is Highly populated... But yah its not crowded... just the poor old city plannings make it crowded and congested... The citys are yes crowded... just like newyork and many other citys...
Then about disparity between the rich and the poor...
Yah Not all but many do... But then the truth is.... Wherever there is money even in the west people would run in that direction, so its the same here... and about inequality yes same as every other country...
Hungry and dying yes absolute truth...  theres lots of poverty the main reason is...The cost of living is more than the Average persons monthly income... POOR PLANNING AGAIN to be blamed...
And then the media is to be blamed... pretty well. i mean India actually is much more advanced and better than what the media portrays it to be, A simple search on any search engine would reveal it.
   Technically speaking, media just needs news...and money...so they do what they can get money out of and not what they should...
media always or mainly displays the bad side or the worst side of everything...showing the advantages good side...and the good...nope its very rare... India is as progressed as America in many ways... but then These politicians wont ever let anything good happen...
what can we do? sit and watch and vote..thats it :)
    I am not good at explaining still tried to do my best  ??? hope it helps...  :-\\

How hot does India get?

Well thats a cool question....  just climbing 10 stairs can get u sweating...thats how hot it can get...
at 2 noon get out and stand on the road..or outside in the open u can get Tanned in just few minutes thats known as instant Tanning  ;D
Sit in a car without AC on and u would know what it feels to be sitting in a HUGE OVEN thats on

Sunday (todays)

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 10:03 am

what are some of the common misconceptions that western people have about India and Indian culture? 

well well... i am not sure but this question can and should be answered by western people itself ... if the question was
what are some of the common misconceptions that indian people have about western people then maybe i could try :)

well still i can say... just like Danoota said...about india being crowded, with hungry people this that...well yes
the fact is whatever negative is shown or things like that it does not reflect the whole country.... its just a part of it...
like remote villages or people staying deep down in forests...uneducated people...who dont even know theres a thing like computer that exists ...

So the thing is when u hear something bad...western people just assume that its about the whole country... thats one wrong way of thinking... thats the only thing i find wrong lol
then.... when u look or do a detailed study about India on your own... you would know...that every multinational company....even Microsoft, IBM, yahoo this that...and all ...is trying and planning and many do already have their own branches and Manufacturing units... server farms...and such in our country... now how could that be possible ? if india is full of hungry people...or such
How can it be possible that every single Automobile manufacturing Co. eyes indian market.. many of them even still trying to setup Manufacturing Units here in India... why would they want to do that in a country like this? :)
  i hope this is answer would be good enough... :S

Written By: Abix on 10/29/06 at 10:14 am

what I meant by my question was some of the stereotypes people have about India..are you able to clarify or dispel some of them..

Also, WHAT are some of the stereotypes Indians have of western civilization and western culture?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 10:25 am

what I meant by my question was some of the stereotypes people have about India..are you able to clarify or dispel some of them..

Also, WHAT are some of the stereotypes Indians have of western civilization and western culture?

i modified my earlier answer now u have the answer there...
    and about stereotypes indians have o western..............give me some time i will reply soon...g2g for now :)

Written By: Howard on 10/29/06 at 9:56 pm

What's a sorry?

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 11:53 pm

What's a sorry?

]
Ummm.. i am confused by your question still i will try to answer it....

Answer to your question
Sorry = feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.:

Or did you mean SAREE ?    if so
Saree =
A sari (also spelled saree) is the traditional garment worn by many women in the Indian subcontinent. The garment is known by different names in various Indian languages; in Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi, it is known as sāṛī; in Kannada as seere; Telegu as cheera and in Tamil as podavai.

The sari is a very long strip of unstitched cloth, ranging from five to nine yards in length, which can be draped in various styles. The most common style is for the sari to be wrapped around the waist, with one end then draped over the shoulder. The sari is usually worn over a petticoat (called lehenga/ghagra in northern India and pavada/pavadai in the south) and a low-cut, short-sleeved, midriff-baring blouse known in north India as a choli. Office dress codes usually prohibit cropped, sleeveless cholis; similarly, women in the armed forces, when wearing a sari uniform, don a half-sleeve shirt tucked in at the waist.

But now...theres is a small misconception there that only Hindus wear saree... nope almost many indian women...do...but now its  slowly going out of fashion..... mostly just oldies wear saree...youngsters prefer wearing.... very less clothes or even nothing at all  :o

i have some pics below...check it

Written By: imadick on 10/29/06 at 11:59 pm

for a personal touch i will add one more pic  ;)  :D

i had clicked this pic....

Both the pics clicked by me...so now u have pics not just from commercials...but real pics of real ppl wearing it :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/06 at 1:11 am

See still looks like a real person to me.

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 2:18 am

See still looks like a real person to me.

yah i meant earlier one was... pics i found on the net or from commercials
but the last two pics...are the ones i had clicked ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/30/06 at 2:34 am

My neighbors across the street are Indian & love to have big parties when there is a good occasion. They catered the food for the last one, but every other time they set up big propane cookers in their garage and cook for a couple days in preperation. What kinds of food are standard at big gatherings?

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 3:07 am

My neighbors across the street are Indian & love to have big parties when there is a good occasion. They catered the food for the last one, but every other time they set up big propane cookers in their garage and cook for a couple days in preperation. What kinds of food are standard at big gatherings?

Yah thats usual here as well... partying always include lots of food stuff... and cooking...now the amount of days they might have taken to prepare or such depends...coz usually indian foods usually are very tideous to prepare...
  as you might know... that India is a country with millions of people of different religion, color, caste, region, culture, and the theing i am trying to tell you is that... every single city has a different way of cooking...or different kinda diet.... and if you ever visit India personally only then you would know..that Food.. is a part of hospitality here... Indian culture includes this that...well not culture but...people here are very fond of eating heallthy and good...and also treating their Guests to the best of the foods available...
  Not sure if you have heard about this you go to the poorest of the poorest person in India as a guest...and you would get the best of the best welcome and a good Treat as well...
  Now usually as theres lots of Religions in India... and people frm various regions and culture and religion ...everyone has a different diet or choice...
Jains - dont eat anything with onion or something in it (no non veg) as well
muslims - hav a dfrnt choice...
hindus dont eat beef... as its considered holy

When all this is considered...i dont have a answer to ur question... :)
but the main and most famous stuff here is known as
Biryani - usually this is very popular....

But for big gatherings there is nothing standard.... the standard is this...the best of the best possible and give the guests a good treat... and such...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/30/06 at 3:17 am

Yeah, India is a big country with so many different people and differences, there is no way to give one answer to my question but you answered and irregardless, it sounds like guests get treated well, & very kindly and generously. 

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 3:24 am

Yeah, India is a big country with so many different people and differences, there is no way to give one answer to my question but you answered and irregardless, it sounds like guests get treated well, & very kindly and generously. 

YES  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 6:22 am

]
Ummm.. i am confused by your question still i will try to answer it....

Answer to your question
Sorry = feeling regret, compunction, sympathy, pity, etc.:

Or did you mean SAREE ?    if so
Saree =
A sari (also spelled saree) is the traditional garment worn by many women in the Indian subcontinent. The garment is known by different names in various Indian languages; in Hindi, Gujarati and Marathi, it is known as sāṛī; in Kannada as seere; Telegu as cheera and in Tamil as podavai.

The sari is a very long strip of unstitched cloth, ranging from five to nine yards in length, which can be draped in various styles. The most common style is for the sari to be wrapped around the waist, with one end then draped over the shoulder. The sari is usually worn over a petticoat (called lehenga/ghagra in northern India and pavada/pavadai in the south) and a low-cut, short-sleeved, midriff-baring blouse known in north India as a choli. Office dress codes usually prohibit cropped, sleeveless cholis; similarly, women in the armed forces, when wearing a sari uniform, don a half-sleeve shirt tucked in at the waist.

But now...theres is a small misconception there that only Hindus wear saree... nope almost many indian women...do...but now its  slowly going out of fashion..... mostly just oldies wear saree...youngsters prefer wearing.... very less clothes or even nothing at all  :o

i have some pics below...check it

So why do they cover their faces?

Written By: Abix on 10/30/06 at 7:25 am

I think my question got lost in the shuffle.

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 9:53 am

So why do they cover their faces?

No thats a old North indian tradition... No one does it much... and it was just followed and done by a group of women from a particular state or something... it was like
women are supposed to ..i mean they should not show their face or anything like tht to... Guys other than their husband and father...and imediate family...
  That to it applied to married women only.... I dont know the logic or history behind it thou  :-\\
But otherwise no one covers their face...wearing a saree.. other than those from The state Bihar...as far as what i know :)

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 10:18 am

I think my question got lost in the shuffle.

not it hasnt... i did reply to it..by modifying my post just above ur question...and about the stereotypes Indians have of western civilization and western culture?

Yah...lemme tell u....

Please no offence against anyone...if it hurts anyone or their feeling i am extremly sorry... but anyway i will answer..what i know...
But whatever i say doesnt have to be what or how every indian is or I am...or might be...

I would jst point out the negative part

1st thing... Indian men lust after western chicks  ;)

2nd many Indians think or see western culture as to be BAD,

3rd.. They dont like the way west people always potray Asian countrys to be full of terrorists.. and bad people...or just full of hungry sick..and poor people

4th.. Indians ..many of em... Think that west means = all females there = slutty... (plz this is not what i say or think..its what i know and have heard from many of my frnds, strangers, relatives, news, debates, college,) i am sorry this is not what i think plz plz plz dont argue with me for what i post here... this thought usually is very common one...
And anyone who might have visited India especially females...might know it very well ...from how indiaan guys behave or are...
And also please not all indians are like that...either ..

5th..  Indians think.. west = Rich people only... and no hardwork, easy life... rest, fun,, enjoy ....

well i cant think of much...
But all i can say is..these thoughts occur only coz of the Cultural Difference...
PLZ PLZ PLZ all yeah females who read this...dont dont punish me for what others think..i am not a person with such creepy mindest :)

Written By: Howard on 10/30/06 at 3:51 pm

What's with the red dot in the middle of their forehead? ???

Written By: imadick on 10/30/06 at 9:31 pm

What's with the red dot in the middle of their forehead? ???

A bindi (Hindi: बिन्दि meaning "dot") is a forehead decoration worn in Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia. It may also be called a pottu or a tilaka.

Married Hindu women traditionally wear a bindi on their foreheads. The traditional bindi is made with red sindoor powder or perhaps a black ointment. It is applied over the ajna, or forehead chakra, a center of bodily and spiritual energy that represents the third, or "spiritual" eye in Hindu belief. The bindi is believed to prevent the loss of "energy", as well as bringing spiritual protection against demons or bad luck. In the contemporary age, the bindi has become a decorative item and is worn by unmarried as well as non-Hindu women, in India, Bangladesh and other countries of Indian Subcontinent. It is no longer restricted in colour or shape. Self-adhesive bindis made from felt in various designs and colours are now available.

Outside Indian Subcontinent, bindis may be worn by women of the South Asian diaspora. Some Westerners who have converted to Hindu dharma like the Hare Krishna may wear bindis. Sometimes they are worn as a style statement. International celebrities such as Shakira, Gwen Stefani, Madonna, and Shania Twain have been seen wearing bindis.

The bindi is often associated with women, but in fact it can be worn, either by itself or as part of a more elaborate caste-mark (naamam) by tradition-minded Hindu men.

And also...now a days its very rare ..... Since my birth in 85...as far as what i can remember I have never been with any female who wears that...or have never come across any.... :)
Other than when once i visited Some remote village...on a study tour... that i came across...few women.. havin it..

Written By: Abix on 11/01/06 at 1:25 pm

Is it common to have arranged marriages in India? 

Written By: Howard on 11/01/06 at 3:08 pm

Why is garlic their favorite smell?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/01/06 at 3:34 pm

Which spices are used in a curry?

Written By: imadick on 11/01/06 at 7:40 pm

Is it common to have arranged marriages in India? 

It was way back....Now its not....

Why is garlic their favorite smell?

Thats a misconception, Its not Indians fav smell... Its just that western people want something to tease Indians by so as India produces most of the spice and such...The western people usually make up these things to tease indians

Which spices are used in a curry?

It varies from Curry to curry, There are so many different varities of spices, that a guy my age 21yr old...lets say wont even know 10% of them...
sorry.... i am really dumb in this feild of spices... even after being an Indian

Written By: Howard on 11/01/06 at 10:09 pm

Is India The hottest place on earth?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/06 at 2:05 am

It varies from Curry to curry, There are so many different varities of spices, that a guy my age 21yr old...lets say wont even know 10% of them...
sorry.... i am really dumb in this feild of spices... even after being an Indian

What are the most popular spices used in a curry?

Written By: imadick on 11/02/06 at 11:28 am

Is India The hottest place on earth?

Oh did you miss out on Egypt? its sure hotter than India... and well Dubai? iraq? Saudi...all these places are much hotter than India... so nope India is not the hottest place..but it sure do have the hottest... Babe's

What are the most popular spices used in a curry?

What curry are you refering to? Fish curry? mutton curry? Palak Curry? well the thing is Philip eno..that here there are so many variteys of curry..  that it differes again from curry to curry what spice they use...and then it differes again which spice they use..there are tons of them...
  but if you could be more specific i could help you out

Written By: karen on 11/02/06 at 11:38 am

If you (or whoever does the cooking ) were to make a lamb curry what spices would you use?  What would you use in a chicken curry?

Written By: imadick on 11/02/06 at 11:54 am

If you (or whoever does the cooking ) were to make a lamb curry what spices would you use?  What would you use in a chicken curry?

I dont cook...and its 11:30 pm... Moms sleeping...wait for 6 to 8 hours when moms up... i would reply to queries related to Indian cooking and stuff...and spices...sorry for the delay..i cant wake up mom as of now.. (must say shes the best cook 4 any kinda indian foods) i love her cookin..and what she prepares....
  So please wait !!!
the things i know are jst to make omlet, coffee, tea, rice, noodles, pasta, and then To order pizza
other than this i donno much  ;D ... my luck my gf knows how to cook..so wont have to suffer after marriage. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/02/06 at 11:58 am

I have a jar of Turmeric in the kitchen, what curry should be made with this?

Written By: Howard on 11/02/06 at 2:10 pm

How does Indian food taste to you?

Written By: imadick on 11/02/06 at 9:24 pm

I have a jar of Turmeric in the kitchen, what curry should be made with this?

I must say this that... Curry cant be made our of Turmeric...its usually a mix of lots of other things....

And yah Turmeric is indeed one of the most commonly used stuff here...in India... so most commonly used is turmeric yep

How does Indian food taste to you?

Superb... I just love Indian food...i havent had all of it.. but i am trying to ....:) i just love the way indian foods are made..
I like it Spicy...Hot.... Freaking spicy i must say.. :o
It tastes i donno if i can explain the taste...  :\'(

Written By: anita on 11/03/06 at 11:14 am

Hey people,
  the above said person Mr dick, Thats James. Wont be participating here on this site www.inthe00s.com anymore, Due to some serious problems. he has lost his house, and stuff so, he has had to avoid many of his regular work. and fun stuff.
  I am his neigbour & a good close friend of his... He had asked me to inform you all...
But also if you all have anymore questions regarding India... do ask. I will continue. i mean i will answer try to answer your questions. on his behalf..
  Coz v really were and are good freinds... and as long as you all have questions whenever i sign on i will try to answer you all. :)

Written By: Abix on 11/03/06 at 11:36 am

Hey people,
  the above said person Mr dick, Thats James. Wont be participating here on this site www.inthe00s.com anymore, Due to some serious problems. he has lost his house, and stuff so, he has had to avoid many of his regular work. and fun stuff.
  I am his neigbour & a good close friend of his... He had asked me to inform you all...
But also if you all have anymore questions regarding India... do ask. I will continue. i mean i will answer try to answer your questions. on his behalf..
   Coz v really were and are good freinds... and as long as you all have questions whenever i sign on i will try to answer you all. :)

where is James staying? Please send him my best wishes. Thank you.

Written By: anita on 11/03/06 at 11:37 am

where is James staying? Please send him my best wishes. Thank you.

okay!

Written By: Howard on 11/03/06 at 2:20 pm

I must say this that... Curry cant be made our of Turmeric...its usually a mix of lots of other things....

And yah Turmeric is indeed one of the most commonly used stuff here...in India... so most commonly used is turmeric yep

Superb... I just love Indian food...i havent had all of it.. but i am trying to ....:) i just love the way indian foods are made..
I like it Spicy...Hot.... Freaking spicy i must say.. :o
It tastes i donno if i can explain the taste...  :\'(

Do you like Okra?

Check for new replies or respond here...