inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me about Weird Al.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 1:09 am

This guy is one of my heroes so I know alot about him. Plus, I figure since "White and Nerdy" just gave him his highest charting single, more people have gotten into him.

Subject: Re: Ask Me about Weird Al.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/11/06 at 6:12 pm

I have two questions:

Did Weird Al write the "The Great Mighty Poo" lyrics that are in the Conker's Bad Fur Day video game?

What is you're favorite song from Weird Al's "Even Worse" album?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/11/06 at 6:13 pm

Why do you think I'm so weird?

(Oh yeah, click my YouTube link down below.  ;))

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/11/06 at 6:25 pm

Do you find it ironic that he says, "Health food makes me sick" in "Mellow When I'm Dead", even though he's a vegan?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/06 at 6:34 pm

I have two questions:

Did Weird Al write the "The Great Mighty Poo" lyrics that are in the Conker's Bad Fur Day video game?

What is you're favorite song from Weird Al's "Even Worse" album?

1. No. In fact, one of his pet peeves is how alot of parody songs on the 'net are mistakenly credited to him. Although he has some concert-only songs that, say he never recorded a parody of in the studio (i.e. "Chicken Pot Pie", a takeoff on Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die").

2. The classic "Fat". One of my favorite videos of his when I saw it in the early '90s. For the others, "Good Old Days".

Why do you think I'm so weird?

;D

Do you find it ironic that he says, "Health food makes me sick" in "Mellow When I'm Dead", even though he's a vegan?

Good call, I never really noticed that line before (I don't listen to the self-titled album that much). That was actually before he became a vegan in the early '90s, though.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/12/06 at 7:04 pm

1. No. In fact, one of his pet peeves is how alot of parody songs on the 'net are mistakenly credited to him. Although he has some concert-only songs that, say he never recorded a parody of in the studio (i.e. "Chicken Pot Pie", a takeoff on Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die").

I show you where I seen it, someone on youtube said he wrote the lyrics to that song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5neFPat1w

In some ways, it wouldn't surprise me if he did write it, but it is abit more vulgar than what he writes.

I've seen a site that listed songs that he didn't do(alot were more naughty as well), someone on a Weird Al thread(on gaiaonline) showed the site.

I know he had song parodies he never recorded(due to not having permission from the original artist), but I didn't know he performed them live, I guess performing them live is a different story.

Is there a site that lists them?

Oh, I read up on something, it says that you don't have to have permission to record parodies. But Weird Al always asked for it, to be fair, to be on good terms.

2. The classic "Fat". One of my favorite videos of his when I saw it in the early '90s. For the others, "Good Old Days".

Mine are:

1. Fat & Lasagna(parody wise)
2. Melanie(I find that one funny for some reason)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/12/06 at 7:33 pm

I read up alittle bit on him(I've listened to his music since I was young).

You remember the incident with Coolio?

Well I read that after that happened, Weird Al made sure to talk to the artist in person.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/06 at 6:16 pm

I read up alittle bit on him(I've listened to his music since I was young).

You remember the incident with Coolio?

Well I read that after that happened, Weird Al made sure to talk to the artist in person.

Yeah, he's technically legally able to parody songs, but wants to maintain a good relationship with the artists. The only artist to ever turn him down more than once was Prince.

The Coolio thing happened since Al got word back that the record company said that Coolio gave him permission (when he didn't), which is why he was p*ssed. I love "Amish Paradise" and I'm glad it came out. I wouldn't be offended by it if I were him, although I can sorta see why he wouldn't want it parodied. I did hear they made amends recently, which was good to hear.

There's a recordings list somewhere on his official website, I think. I've heard he doesn't like the songs miscredited to him because they're more vulgar than he usually does (something like "Wanna B Ur Lover" is probably his most extreme).

Written By: Howard on 12/13/06 at 6:24 pm

What's your favorite songs?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/06 at 6:38 pm

What's your favorite songs?

Well, keep in mind, we're talking about a 12-album, 23 year career (although he was mildly famous as far back as 1979), so that ain't easy. ;) But off my head, here's five of each:

"Hits": Eat It, You Don't Love Me Anymore, Fat, Amish Paradise, Like a Surgeon

Other Parodies: Achy Breaky Song, Stop Draggin' My Car Around, Pretty Fly for a Rabbi, I Can't Watch This, Phony Calls.

Originals: The Night Santa Went Crazy, Slime Creatures From Outer Space, When I Was Your Age, Don't Download This Song, Midnight Star.

Written By: spaceace on 12/13/06 at 6:40 pm

On the 45 of Eat It what was the "B-side"? :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/06 at 6:44 pm

On the 45 of Eat It what was the "B-side"? :)

Good one! I want to think it was "That Boy Could Dance", but I could be wrong.

Written By: spaceace on 12/13/06 at 6:45 pm

Good one! I want to think it was "That Boy Could Dance", but I could be wrong.

Yes, it was!!!  I' ve got the 45.  Just wanted to see how good you were.  Hope you don't mind. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/06 at 8:19 pm

Yes, it was!!!  I' ve got the 45.  Just wanted to see how good you were.  Hope you don't mind. :)

Not at all. :)

I can't remember where I read that, but I tend to retain trivial information and random facts like this (no wonder I'm such a geek). ;D

Written By: spaceace on 12/13/06 at 8:20 pm

I am quite impressed though, not to many people would have gotten that one. :)

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/06 at 10:23 am

Yeah, he's technically legally able to parody songs, but wants to maintain a good relationship with the artists. The only artist to ever turn him down more than once was Prince.

The Coolio thing happened since Al got word back that the record company said that Coolio gave him permission (when he didn't), which is why he was p*ssed. I love "Amish Paradise" and I'm glad it came out. I wouldn't be offended by it if I were him, although I can sorta see why he wouldn't want it parodied. I did hear they made amends recently, which was good to hear.

There's a recordings list somewhere on his official website, I think. I've heard he doesn't like the songs miscredited to him because they're more vulgar than he usually does (something like "Wanna B Ur Lover" is probably his most extreme).

I read about all that, minus the third..... I remember him saying that Prince always turned him down, as well as Led Zepplin.

I want to know where someone got the idea that he did the song for that game?

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/06 at 10:26 am

I also read that while Eminem gave him permission for doing a parody of "Lose Yourself", he decided(after hearing the parody), to not allow him to make a video(that's a double standard).

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/14/06 at 10:26 am

I read in an even more recent interview that they haven't made amends. I'm now confused.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 12/14/06 at 12:57 pm

Does he accept parodies from other people?  I got some good ideas, I wouldn't charge him much and I'd only ask for a few things.  They're good too.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/06 at 1:49 pm

Does he accept parodies from other people?  I got some good ideas, I wouldn't charge him much and I'd only ask for a few things.  They're good too.

I know that he doesn't(from what I read).

But, supposedly, Madonna was actually the one that gave him the idea for "Like a surgeon".

*Sorry for answer the question, Marty*

Written By: Howard on 12/14/06 at 2:27 pm

Do you think his videos are pretty funny?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/06 at 5:47 pm

I also read that while Eminem gave him permission for doing a parody of "Lose Yourself", he decided(after hearing the parody), to not allow him to make a video(that's a double standard).

Yeah, that was pretty dumb. He should've outright refused altogether if he didn't want it parodied. I also think Poodle Hat didn't sell that well (for him) because of lack of a real video.

About the answered question: no problem. :)

He doesn't accept submitted parodies, for better or worse.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/14/06 at 5:54 pm

I don't think "Amish Paradise" is too funny, without the video. The same for "White And Nerdy", though.

Just thought I'd throw it out there!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/06 at 6:58 pm

I don't think "Amish Paradise" is too funny, without the video. The same for "White And Nerdy", though.

Just thought I'd throw it out there!

Definitely for W&N. Even though the songs are funny and I would like it just as much if he only did music, I agree his career has always been video-driven. His breakthrough album was In 3-D in 1984, just after Thriller had made MTV part of the mainstream (music videos were popular in 1981-'83, but not quite household).

I think if he had come out with an album in say 1977, he would've been passed off as a novelty act at best.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/14/06 at 7:01 pm

Definitely for W&N. Even though the songs are funny and I would like it just as much if he only did music, I agree his career has always been video-driven. His breakthrough album was In 3-D in 1984, just after Thriller had made MTV part of the mainstream (music videos were popular in 1981-'83, but not quite household).

I think if he had come out with an album in say 1977, he would've been passed off as a novelty act at best.

=P, He still is a novelty act.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/06 at 7:07 pm

=P, He still is a novelty act.

True. But a very successful one. :D

If you told someone in 1983 "Hey, ya know that one dude with that album who does 'My Bologna'? Well, he's gonna have the biggest hit of his career in the year 2006 and will have done countless TV specials, a cult classic movie and have legions of fans, awards and at least some respect in the music industry", they'd probably laugh in your face and asked what you were smoking.

Yet it's true. 8) Happily for Al, truth sometimes is stranger than fiction.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/06 at 12:06 am

Do you think he and Dr. Demento are good friends?

Written By: Mushroom on 12/15/06 at 9:49 am

Not true.  The Kinks turned him down for many years over his request to record "Yoda".

Billy Joel is another one that has repeatedly turned him down.  I remember hearing Al perform "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" in a concert in 1984.  And in 1988, I heard him do a medley of various Billy Joel songs, and comment that he would release them if Billy ever gave him permission.  It was not until "Ode To A Superman" that he finally gave Al permission to record a parody of one of his songs.

Written By: Howard on 12/15/06 at 2:25 pm

Why were most of his videos all about "food"? ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/15/06 at 2:42 pm

Not true.  The Kinks turned him down for many years over his request to record "Yoda".

Billy Joel is another one that has repeatedly turned him down.  I remember hearing Al perform "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" in a concert in 1984.  And in 1988, I heard him do a medley of various Billy Joel songs, and comment that he would release them if Billy ever gave him permission.  It was not until "Ode To A Superman" that he finally gave Al permission to record a parody of one of his songs.

Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot about "It's still Billy Joel To Me". ;) *karma*

Those were mostly just his early, pre-Off The Deep End stuff. I can't recall the exact quote, but he said in an interview online once that he stopped doing "food songs" because he didn't want to be permanently associated with it. His '90s and '00s albums have no food songs (or at least none solely about it).

As for why he did those in the '80s? Well, they're funny and made some of the best videos.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/15/06 at 3:00 pm

Do you think he and Dr. Demento are good friends?

For certain. Al certainly has Dr. D. to thank for his success.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/15/06 at 3:04 pm

A question that shows that Al's reputation still needs an update. ::)

Eat It and I Love Rocky Road are the only 2 of his videos that are specifically about food.

Specific food songs over his nearly 30 year career only number somewhere about 10.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/15/06 at 3:19 pm

I heard that he was Mormon. Is that true?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/15/06 at 3:25 pm

*karma for stumping me* ;)

Not to my knowledge, though I've actually never heard of him being religious one way or the other at all.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 3:58 pm

I don't think he believes in God.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 3:59 pm

Huh... I heard "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" a few minutes ago...

Written By: Howard on 12/15/06 at 3:59 pm

A question that shows that Al's reputation still needs an update. ::)

Eat It and I Love Rocky Road are the only 2 of his videos that are specifically about food.

Specific food songs over his nearly 30 year career only number somewhere about 10.

So that's why he was fat at one time?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 4:13 pm

So that's why he was fat at one time?

Howard...he wasn't really fat....it was fake.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/15/06 at 4:21 pm

I don't think he believes in God.

He got married, if that means anything.  ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/15/06 at 4:53 pm

Howard...he wasn't really fat....it was fake.

Hahahahahaha!

You mean to tell me THIS isn't real!? v
http://www.hss.pl/uploads/screens/weird_al_yankovic-fat.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/06 at 4:56 pm

Hahahahahaha!

sadly, no.

Written By: woops on 12/16/06 at 3:08 am

Have you watched the recent "Al TV" special?

Written By: Howard on 12/16/06 at 6:57 am

Hahahahahaha!

I couldn't believe when I saw him in that video. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 12/16/06 at 11:16 am

Is that why "Yoda" on the same album with "Like a surgeon"?

I know he couldn't have done it without it.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/16/06 at 11:38 am

Is that why "Yoda" on the same album with "Like a surgeon"?

I know he couldn't have done it without it.

Actually, he could have done it.  There is no law requiring him to get permission before recoding a parody.  However, this has always been his practice, to keep good relations with the original artists.  When he is unable to get permission, he still performs the songs in concerts, but simply does not record them.

"Yoda" was actually written back in 1980, but his requests were repeatedly turned down for recording it.  Then one day he met Ray Davies (lead singer and songwriter for "The Kinks"), and asked why they would not give him permission.  Apparently Davies never knew of the requests, and quickly gave his permission.

The song finally saw print in 1985, 5 years after "The Empire Strikes Back", and 2 years after "Return Of The Jedi".

Have you watched the recent "Al TV" special?

Yea, I caught "Al TV" last night, and about busted a gut laughing.  I have always enjoyed his "Pirate TV" shows, even way back when he was doing it on MTV.  Of course back then, it could literally happen at any time.  Now, it is only shown on VH1 after he releases a new CD.

I especially love his "Dickie Goodman" style interviews.  In the old versions, he would do the hashed-together interviews with such artists as Paula Abdul, Ozzie, and Paul McCartney.  And at the end, they would always say that Al's newest album was horrible.  In the newest one, he does interviews with "Jessica Sampson" and K-Fed, who both say that his newest CD is great.

I also miss his old show, because he would often show unusual music videos by other artists.  My first exposure to David Byrne's "She's Mad" was from Al TV back in the early 1990's.  And I can never forget the music video he showed of "Bad Bews" doing "Bohemian Rhapsody".  I still have occasional nightmares of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZRuFizPv8

Written By: Step-chan on 12/16/06 at 12:51 pm

Actually, he could have done it.  There is no law requiring him to get permission before recoding a parody.  However, this has always been his practice, to keep good relations with the original artists.  When he is unable to get permission, he still performs the songs in concerts, but simply does not record them.

"Yoda" was actually written back in 1980, but his requests were repeatedly turned down for recording it.  Then one day he met Ray Davies (lead singer and songwriter for "The Kinks"), and asked why they would not give him permission.  Apparently Davies never knew of the requests, and quickly gave his permission.

The song finally saw print in 1985, 5 years after "The Empire Strikes Back", and 2 years after "Return Of The Jedi".

So that's why.....

I never knew, Ray Davies, isn't he the one that wrote "Things are gonna change(The morning after)"?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 3:23 pm

It's sad about his parents dying of carbon monoxide poising from a closed flue on their fireplace.

I really like Weird Al.  I really appreciate his sense of humor.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/16/06 at 3:33 pm

I'll start a Weird Al thread tommorrow, and give post the link.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 3:38 pm

Isn't *this* a Weird Al thread?  I'm a little confused.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 4:47 pm

why start another one when there is one right here?  ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/16/06 at 4:49 pm

You don't need to.....you're already posting in one.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/06 at 12:27 pm

You don't need to.....you're already posting in one.

I'm doing it in a different board. Not this one....  ::)

Anyway, it's not a copy of Marty's thread here...

It's a survey of sorts.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/17/06 at 1:33 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=24416.0

I got the idea after I bought "Weird Al Yankovic in 3-D".

Written By: Howard on 12/17/06 at 4:00 pm

Is he making any more parodies?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/19/06 at 9:33 pm

It's sad about his parents dying of carbon monoxide poising from a closed flue on their fireplace.

I really like Weird Al.  I really appreciate his sense of humor.

Yeah, I remember that in '04. It was especially sad because I know he was really close with his parents. They even appeared in alot of his TV specials/interviews over the years, too.

Is he making any more parodies?

Howard, every album he does features half parodies, half original songs. So, if he makes another CD (and I'm sure he will - I think his current contract still has 2-3 left), yes.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/28/06 at 4:45 pm

So that's why.....

I never knew, Ray Davies, isn't he the one that wrote "Things are gonna change(The morning after)"?

No.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/29/06 at 1:16 pm

No.

Who did?

Written By: Howard on 12/29/06 at 2:06 pm

I know he has a relation with someone who was an accordian player,Was it Frankie Yankovic? ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/29/06 at 2:36 pm

I know he has a relation with someone who was an accordian player,Was it Frankie Yankovic? ???

Forgive my terseness, but no. :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/29/06 at 2:38 pm

Who did?

Step-Chan, forgive my error...I thought you referring to some other song. A quick googling confirms that Davies did write the song. Sorry.  :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 12/31/06 at 12:37 pm

Step-Chan, forgive my error...I thought you referring to some other song. A quick googling confirms that Davies did write the song. Sorry.  :-\\

No problem, a karma for you. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/04/07 at 3:14 pm

What do you think is the cutest song Weird Al ever wrote?

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/05/07 at 11:34 am

What do you think is the cutest song Weird Al ever wrote?

"Cute"?  ???

"Ode To A Super Hero" (which I also consider to be one of his worst parodies).

Written By: Howard on 01/05/07 at 2:27 pm

"Cute"?  ???

"Ode To A Super Hero" (which I also consider to be one of his worst parodies).

What about that love jam "You Don't Love Me Anymore"? ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/05/07 at 2:29 pm

"Airline Amy" is pretty "cute" too, but totally dispensable. :P

Written By: Howard on 01/05/07 at 2:32 pm

What about that love jam that I posted before? ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/05/07 at 2:33 pm

What about that love jam that I posted before? ???

Not for the brutality of those lyrics.... ;D
...You slammed my face down on the barbecue grill
Now my scars are all healing, but my heart never will
You set my house on fire
You pulled out my chest hairs with an old pair of pliers

Oh, you think that I'm ugly and you say that I'm cheap
You shaved off my eyebrows while I was asleep
You drilled a hole in my head
Then you dumped me in a drainage ditch and left me for dead

Written By: Howard on 01/05/07 at 2:35 pm

Not for the brutality of those lyrics.... ;D
...You slammed my face down on the barbecue grill
Now my scars are all healing, but my heart never will
You set my house on fire
You pulled out my chest hairs with an old pair of pliers

Oh, you think that I'm ugly and you say that I'm cheap
You shaved off my eyebrows while I was asleep
You drilled a hole in my head
Then you dumped me in a drainage ditch and left me for dead

He seemed like he was depressed. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 01/05/07 at 3:03 pm

I think "Buy me a condo" is cute.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/07 at 7:58 pm

So is the whole "Al's Gals" thing true?

Written By: Howard on 01/06/07 at 6:55 am

So,What hasn't he parodied yet? ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/08/07 at 9:56 am

So,What hasn't he parodied yet? ???

I would like to see if he could handle a rock opera, or an entire album based on one artist. Also, he hasn't touched The Beatles in parody or in "tribute" form, other than a bit of "Hey Jude" from Polkas on 45.

SOL shows that he is successful on taking on longer songs with complex stories ("Trapped In the Drive Thru"), and inspirations from artists that are not necessarily "of the moment" (Cake, Sparks, and Brian Wilson). I would love to see what else he can do that would shock the hell out of his kiddie audience.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/08/07 at 10:29 am

So is the whole "Al's Gals" thing true?

???

(he is married, if that has something to do with what you are referring to...)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/08/07 at 4:06 pm

I would like to see if he could handle a rock opera, or an entire album based on one artist. Also, he hasn't touched The Beatles in parody or in "tribute" form, other than a bit of "Hey Jude" from Polkas on 45.

SOL shows that he is successful on taking on longer songs with complex stories ("Trapped In the Drive Thru"), and inspirations from artists that are not necessarily "of the moment" (Cake, Sparks, and Brian Wilson). I would love to see what else he can do that would shock the hell out of his kiddie audience.

Well, he did one of Paul McCartney's Live and let die(Chiken Pot Pie), but Paul wouldn't give him permission, I read it was because Paul doesn't eat meat.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/07 at 4:21 pm

I think he has a lot of talent,I'm sure he'll come up with something soon.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/09/07 at 6:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_G7HHJ0GE

^ My Bologna, this is the first time I ever got to listen to his first written parody.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/13/07 at 10:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_G7HHJ0GE

^ My Bologna, this is the first time I ever got to listen to his first written parody.

Actually, this is not his first written.  He had been writing parodies for years before this.  My Bologna was simply his first parody that was pressed into a record.  He had been making and recording them for years for broadcast on the Dr. Demento show.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/13/07 at 11:49 am

Actually, this is not his first written.  He had been writing parodies for years before this.  My Bologna was simply his first parody that was pressed into a record.  He had been making and recording them for years for broadcast on the Dr. Demento show.

Thanks for enlightening me. ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/13/07 at 11:49 am

He's written parodies as a kid, even... Though, he claims they're no good. :P

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/15/07 at 3:38 am

One of the funniest parodies of Weird Al's that I found was an OS he did on the album "Dare To Be Stupid" called "One More Minute" about a guy going through a bad breakup with his girlfriend. It still makes me giggle today when I hear it. "Franks 2000 inch TV" from "Alapalooza" was kinda good too for an OS. Too bad he doesn't release his OS's as singles. Some are funnier than his parodies of other peoples songs.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/07 at 6:41 am

Will he be making a comeback in 2007?  ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/15/07 at 7:59 am

Will he be making a comeback in 2007?   ???

Dude, he just released SOL in November!  :o Give him a chance to rest a minute!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/16/07 at 1:20 am

^Yeah, his wait between albums is now 3 or 4 years. I think Straight Outta Lynwood will spin off singles into this year, so it'll be kinda considered a part of 2007 pop culture too. His tour doesn't even start until this summer, so late 2008 would be the absolute earliest that he'd make another CD, but it'll truthfully probably be in '09/'10.

The last "quick released" album was 1993's Alapalooza just a year and a half after Off the Deep End in Spring '92. In the '80s, he came out with them pretty fast too.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/25/07 at 5:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941ssF8yIr8

This isn't a fake, is it?

Written By: woops on 03/25/07 at 6:40 pm

If you watch "Celebrity Deathmatch", what did you think of the fight between "Weird Al" and Al Gore?

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/25/07 at 6:42 pm

Dude, he just released SOL in November!  :o Give him a chance to rest a minute!  ;D

September 13th, I believe.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/26/07 at 12:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=941ssF8yIr8

This isn't a fake, is it?

The comments section says it's off one of Dr. Demento's basement tapes, presumably from the early, pre-"Eat It" days. I forget at the moment, although the production and his vocals sound very Weird Al Yankobvic-esque (his 1983 debut). Since Pac Man was a VERY 1980/'81 thing, I'd guess he wrote it before or around the time of the debut CD.

If you watch "Celebrity Deathmatch", what did you think of the fight between "Weird Al" and Al Gore?

Didn't see it actually, though I always wanted to. ;)

September 13th, I believe.

Close, 26th. I'm such a dork that I remember that (I was one of those obsessed fans that bought it the first day, lol).

Written By: Step-chan on 03/26/07 at 3:00 pm

The comments section says it's off one of Dr. Demento's basement tapes, presumably from the early, pre-"Eat It" days. I forget at the moment, although the production and his vocals sound very Weird Al Yankobvic-esque (his 1983 debut). Since Pac Man was a VERY 1980/'81 thing, I'd guess he wrote it before or around the time of the debut CD.

I wonder why he didn't release it on an album. It's a good parody.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/07 at 3:40 pm

Al Gore would win.

Written By: Dominic L. on 03/26/07 at 10:06 pm

Oh, I do know about the Pac Man song. I didn't know there was a video, though!

*Goes to watch*.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/19/07 at 4:02 pm

I don't believe this, some people should do their homework alittle more often..... Although, the song is on this list of songs not by Weird Al, the actual person who did it is still unknown. I guess sometimes they assume or guess(if they didn't see the song list on the one site I posted) since it's a parody of another song.

The same thing with this song, however, the actual artist who did is known(check the song list URL).

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/19/07 at 10:57 pm

I don't believe this, some people should do their homework alittle more often..... Although, the song is on this list of songs not by Weird Al, the actual person who did it is still unknown. I guess sometimes they assume or guess(if they didn't see the song list on the one site I posted) since it's a parody of another song.

The same thing with this song, however, the actual artist who did is known(check the song list URL).

If you are referring to the Pac-Man song, I do know that Weird Al made it...

Written By: Step-chan on 05/20/07 at 3:53 pm

If you are referring to the Pac-Man song, I do know that Weird Al made it...

I'm not talking about the Pac-Man parody(it's obvious Weird Al did that one).

I'm refering to the parodies "She Gotta Pee" and "Oops! I Farted Again", which were not made by Weird Al(yet people on Youtube are claiming that those are his works, I need to register on there so I can post).

Pac-Man is on the list of songs done by Weird Al, I remember seeing it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/07 at 4:04 pm

Does he do live concerts?

Written By: Howard on 05/20/07 at 6:36 pm

Yeah,I think so.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/21/07 at 8:26 am

Um, yeah! ::)  http://www.barglenawdlezouss.com/images/livedvd.jpg
Highly recommended

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/07 at 9:30 am

Um, yeah! ::)   http://www.barglenawdlezouss.com/images/livedvd.jpg
Highly recommended

It's overpriced!

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/21/07 at 10:01 am

Really? How much does your retailer charge?  ???(it shouldn't be more than $25, IMHO!)

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/07 at 10:11 am

Really? How much does your retailer charge?  ???(it shouldn't be more than $25, IMHO!)

Well, see, 25 dollars is overpriced! Music DVDs are usually about 15 dollars, unless they're a box set, or a huge band like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/21/07 at 12:01 pm

Meat!, that's the way it goes nowadays. But hey, you get nearly 2-hours of a concert, goofy footage from The Weird Al TV Show, and 2 bonus videos. Really, it is worth it. 8)

EDIT: Dude, amazon.com is selling it for $14.98!

Written By: Howard on 05/21/07 at 2:38 pm

How much are they selling it everywhere else?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/07 at 3:50 pm

Um, yeah! ::)   http://www.barglenawdlezouss.com/images/livedvd.jpg
Highly recommended
Tell him to come to London in the UK.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/21/07 at 4:42 pm

Tell him to come to London in the UK.

He probably has before. Too bad you have missed him!

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/24/07 at 1:07 am

As far as people automatically attributing songs to him that he didn't do, I think it's just 'cause he's one of the few household name "parody artists", so they just kinda blindly assume it's him.

While he's always been a more or less "family friendly" artist and doesn't do anything very vulgar or controversial, he probably has gotten a teeny bit more risque over the years (i.e. "Wanna B Ur Lover", "Jerry Springer", mentioning porn in "Virus Alert"). Although that's more from the natural reflection of pop culture he's lampooning than his own style changing, IMO.

P.S. I haven't seen the Live DVD, but I own his Ultimate Video Hits collection (as well as its older VHS counterpart, Video Library). I would say the best place to look for things like that are secondhand shops, since what would normally cost 20 bucks may only be, like $8-12.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/24/07 at 2:07 am

I did find another one attributed to Weird Al which I emailed to that site with the "Not Al's songs" list.

I didn't see it on the list on that site(another parody of Barbie Girl, labeled "Barbie is a b****").

It's a video link from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUR91J7j_c

I'm not sure if the person who runs the site has been informed about it, which is why I sent it.

I read that it was actually done by Andy Dick(don't even know if that's correct).

Barbie is a b**** is a very vulgar parody... (although kinda funny)

Jerry Springer and Virus Alert are alittle more bold(I haven't heard Wanna B Ur Lover) with slighty more risque themes(Jerry Springer) and the mentioning of porn(Virus Alert), but are nothing compared to something like the song in the youtube link in this post.

"She Gotta Pee" is probably one of the least crude and vulgar parodies blindly attributed to him(IMO)... Weird Al has actually had bodily function references in his songs and parodies before(but not in a way that it's extremely gross), His parody of Complicated "A Complicated Song" has a verse and chorus about constipation and "Your Horoscope For Today" has a flatulence lyric in it.

"Oops I Farted Again" is one that should be obvious he didn't do, mainly because it's sung by a girl. Anything Weird Al wrote, he's sung himself, if I remember correctly.

One last thing, some of these song parodies that are wrongfully being labeled as Weird Al parodies are alot shorter than the original songs. I know some of Weird Al's parodies are shorter than the originals, but not to where it's less than half the OS's original length(the Barbie Girl parodies are a glaring example of this, they're less than a minute and a half. Elmo's got a gun is around one minute).

Edit: Looked at the lyrics for "Wanna B Ur Lover", definetly alittle more risque, but not a big deal.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/24/07 at 4:05 am

^ That's a good point about the length of the parody versus the original. He pretty much performs the same song and just cuts out a few of the extra instrumental portions or repeated lines (i.e. "King of Suede" fading out earlier than "King of Pain" did).

I actually remember one of the local rock stations parodying the Britney song as "Oops I Farted Again" back in 2000, lol. The morning show always had vlugar but funny songs like that. I bet alot of those parodies go out to different stations across the country.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/07 at 6:12 am

I did find another one attributed to Weird Al which I emailed to that site with the "Not Al's songs" list.

I didn't see it on the list on that site(another parody of Barbie Girl, labeled "Barbie is a b****").

It's a video link from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMUR91J7j_c

I'm not sure if the person who runs the site has been informed about it, which is why I sent it.

I read that it was actually done by Andy Dick(don't even know if that's correct).

Barbie is a b**** is a very vulgar parody... (although kinda funny)

Jerry Springer and Virus Alert are alittle more bold(I haven't heard Wanna B Ur Lover) with slighty more risque themes(Jerry Springer) and the mentioning of porn(Virus Alert), but are nothing compared to something like the song in the youtube link in this post.

"She Gotta Pee" is probably one of the least crude and vulgar parodies blindly attributed to him(IMO)... Weird Al has actually had bodily function references in his songs and parodies before(but not in a way that it's extremely gross), His parody of Complicated "A Complicated Song" has a verse and chorus about constipation and "Your Horoscope For Today" has a flatulence lyric in it.

"Oops I Farted Again" is one that should be obvious he didn't do, mainly because it's sung by a girl. Anything Weird Al wrote, he's sung himself, if I remember correctly.

One last thing, some of these song parodies that are wrongfully being labeled as Weird Al parodies are alot shorter than the original songs. I know some of Weird Al's parodies are shorter than the originals, but not to where it's less than half the OS's original length(the Barbie Girl parodies are a glaring example of this, they're less than a minute and a half. Elmo's got a gun is around one minute).

Edit: Looked at the lyrics for "Wanna B Ur Lover", definetly alittle more risque, but not a big deal.

That video's kind of funny. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/24/07 at 3:06 pm

^ That's a good point about the length of the parody versus the original. He pretty much performs the same song and just cuts out a few of the extra instrumental portions or repeated lines (i.e. "King of Suede" fading out earlier than "King of Pain" did).

I actually remember one of the local rock stations parodying the Britney song as "Oops I Farted Again" back in 2000, lol. The morning show always had vlugar but funny songs like that. I bet alot of those parodies go out to different stations across the country.

Yes, I remember a friend of mine having that recording of Oops I Fart Again, as well as Devil Went Down To Jamaica and Bong Song several years ago.

Some of those miscredited parodies are quickies of sorts(songs that obviously were meant to be abit shorter, kinda like a fragment parody).

The most minutes Weird Al has ever cut a parody short of the original that I can think of is "The Saga Begins", which is 5+ minutes in length, the original song it's based on is around 8 minutes(I think). "Smells Like Nirvana" is around 3 1/2 minutes in length, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is 5 minutes on the album(around 4 1/2 at live concerts). I know that "White And Nerdy" is alittle under 3 minutes, I'm not sure how long "Riding Dirty" is however.

There is one song in particular I can kinda understand being easily miscredited to Weird Al(he even brought up the song that was miscredited to him on Bob & Tom, which is the radio show the song was played on), that song is "Toast" by Heywood Banks. Heywood Banks kinda sounds like Al when he sings it, so I can see how people make that mistake.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/24/07 at 3:07 pm

I kinda like the end of that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/07 at 3:53 am

Clever as well.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/07 at 6:12 am

I kinda like the end of that one.

The one with the Pokemon?

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/25/07 at 9:42 am

The most minutes Weird Al has ever cut a parody short of the original that I can think of is "The Saga Begins", which is 5+ minutes in length, the original song it's based on is around 8 minutes(I think). "Smells Like Nirvana" is around 3 1/2 minutes in length, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is 5 minutes on the album(around 4 1/2 at live concerts). I know that "White And Nerdy" is alittle under 3 minutes, I'm not sure how long "Riding Dirty" is however.

SLN is shorter than SLTS because he cuts the guitar solo. "King of Suede" shortens the brief musical bridge from "King of Pain".

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/25/07 at 10:11 am

SLN is shorter than SLTS because he cuts the guitar solo. "King of Suede" shortens the brief musical bridge from "King of Pain".

SLN is also noticeably faster than SLTS.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/25/07 at 2:39 pm

That(since he gargles on that one) and like Dom said, it's faster(comparable to the speed of SLTS live in musical pacing).

Weird Al also has only half the lines in what is originally the "Hello, hello, hello, how low?" part.

Although that isn't as the biggest factor in the length comparison.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/25/07 at 2:40 pm

The one with the Pokemon?

I thought you meant the Barbie one.

(Since that was the quote you posted)

The Pokemon is pretty good though.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/25/07 at 9:00 pm

Hey Garrets
What Raul
Look Whos Over There
Well If It Isnt Barbie Without Ken
And That Stupid Caifornia Dream Van
Hey Barbie Its Us
Come Over Here..Look
Right Over Here Missy

Written By: Howard on 05/25/07 at 10:00 pm

Hey Garrets
What Raul
Look Whos Over There
Well If It Isnt Barbie Without Ken
And That Stupid Caifornia Dream Van
Hey Barbie Its Us
Come Over Here..Look
Right Over Here Missy

Is that the lyrics to his song?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/25/07 at 10:28 pm

Is that the lyrics to his song?

No.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/03/07 at 4:35 pm

I think I'll bring up abit of an analysis on the ones that I heard that Weird Al didn't write, the basic reasons I've mentioned before, but this will be abit more of an analysis.

Oops! I Farted Again: The biggest reasons this one is not one of Al's songs is because of the length(less than half of the actual songs length), the use of alittle profanity(at the end of the song) and the fact that it was sung by a girl(wrote by Bob Rivers). Weird Al doesn't write any parodies he won't sing himself, so what makes anyone think he would write it? Fart humor is something Weird Al doesn't heavily focus on(I've never seen a full parody focused on flatulence by Al, as far as I've seen).

Ugly Girl: This short parody of Barbie Girl is obviously not a Weird Al parody, although kinda funny, it's alittle too mean spirited. I'm trying to remember if Weird Al did any parodies that have been mean spirited or not(if their has been, I'm almost sure they haven't focused on appearance, let me know if any do). It's also kinda vulgar(although that's at the end of the song) and the fact that it's sung by a girl on most of it seals the deal that it's not his. Case closed.

Barbie Is A B****: Another short Barbie Girl parody, obviously not Weird Al's for many reasons. It's got vulgar language throughout the entire song, it's about jealous men complaining about the fact that Ken is Barbie's boyfriend instead of their's. The sung lyrics are also accented by effeminite voices, Weird Al's voice wouldn't sound like that if he tried the effeminite accent. A violent situation happens at the end of it as well(I know Weird Al has used dark humor with violent situations in his parodies before, but you don't hear them actually happening during the song. The Night Santa Went Crazy is a violent themed song of his, but you only get the description).

She Gotta Pee: Short parody of It Wasn't Me. Admittedly, the guy who sings the lyrics in the beginning and the end has a similiar voice to Al, but he doesn't sound 100% like him, plus it's sung by more than one person. Weird Al has mentioned bodily functions in his parodies before(Your Horoscope For Today and A Compicated Song for instance), but not for the entire song. Out of the many mislabels, this one is not really an insult to Weird Al per say, since it's not particularly vulgar. Still, it's not his.

The Devil Went Down To Jamaica: Although kinda funny and not too much shorter than the original, it's alittle too drug theme heavy wise, making it too obvious that it's not Al's parody. There is also alittle foul language in it, although not super heavy. Singer doesn't sound like Al either.

What If God Smoked Cannabis: Same reason, too drug heavy theme wise. It also throws God into the mix(along with Adam and Eve), something Weird Al hasn't done parodies of, as far as I can remember. This one, doesn't seem to have any vulgar language in it, however. It's not way too much shorter than the original, but being sung by a girl, makes it clear that it's not Al's song.

Bong Song: Heavy drug themes, alot shorter than the original song and the singer sounds nothing like Weird Al. Not his song, period.

The Beer Song: The singer in the beginning sounds kinda like Weird Al, but after awhile you get other people singing. Weird Al has referenced Beer in at least one song that I know of(I Want A New Duck), but never an entire parody or song about Beer. Definetly not one of Al's songs.

Great Mighty Poo(An opera song on Conker's Bad Fur Day, N64): Oh boy... Why, oh why would anyone think that Weird Al would write a vulgar song about feces? This song has some vulgar words it, it's sung by someone else who sounds nothing like Weird Al and it's on a video game. I'm not sure if Weird Al has ever done any songs for video games. This was not written by Weird Al, it's just way too nasty.

Toast: An original song wrote by Heywood Banks, it was sung on Bob & Tom. Heywood Banks sounds almost like Weird Al, so I can see people confusing this for a Weird Al song, even though it's not. When Weird Al actually came on Bob & Tom for the first time, he mentioned that Toast was not his song.

Elmo's Got A Gun: This song is less than half the length of Janie's Got A Gun and the singer sounds nothing like him, not one of Al's songs.

There are alot more mislabeled as Weird Al's, but these are the only ones I've listened to.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/08/07 at 11:42 am

Good stuff, Step-chan. I agree with all of that for the reasons you described (I've heard about half of those songs myself, probably). I've also noticed that while he'll often make a passing reference to quite a few things, he won't actually base a song around a "harder", or more controversial subject like religion.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/07 at 2:51 pm

Good stuff, Step-chan. I agree with all of that for the reasons you described (I've heard about half of those songs myself, probably). I've also noticed that while he'll often make a passing reference to quite a few things, he won't actually base a song around a "harder", or more controversial subject like religion.

Although I was only half right on the video game area, Weird Al did write a song called "Polkamon" which is on the soundtrack to one of the Pokemon movies. But Pokemon isn't a vulgar video game unlike Conker's Bad Fur Day, so it's a different story(which is why I didn't think of it at the moment).

Written By: Howard on 06/08/07 at 2:55 pm

I still think that "Fat" is the most creative video he's ever done. ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/08/07 at 3:31 pm

I still think that "Fat" is the most creative video he's ever done. ;D

As well as the Teen Spirit and White & Nerdy ones.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/08/07 at 5:37 pm

I'd love to see Al do something really edgy...Running With Scissors was so named because he was daring himself to mention some not-so-G rated ideas and targets (hence songs like "Jerry Springer"). Al makes me laugh the most when he doesn't write down to the average 12 year-old.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 12:01 pm

I'd love to see Al do something really edgy...Running With Scissors was so named because he was daring himself to mention some not-so-G rated ideas and targets (hence songs like "Jerry Springer"). Al makes me laugh the most when he doesn't write down to the average 12 year-old.

I think Jerry Springer and Truck Driving Song are examples of his more risque work on that album. But I'm don't really think he'll get anymore risque than that.

Some of his more risque/mature material based on what I listened to or read lyric wise:

Nature Trail To Hell: Mainly for use of the word "hell"(at least it's in it's proper context though) and the fact that song is about a made up slasher film, but it's done in a way that you can't really take it seriously. It's kinda funny how the film is described(he also put in a backmasked message in the song).

Christmas At Ground Zero: This song is about Christmas happening during a nuclear war, the song's music sounds pretty cheerful in contrast to the lyrics which are dark and humorous. I read the radio stations refused to air this song(Except for Doctor Demento, which plays the song every December) because they thought it was too dark. That's a shame, it's one of Weird Al's bests.

The Alternative Polka: This medley has part of Nine Inch Nail's "Closer" on it, which is an explicit song. Al does put noises in place of the F word though.

A Complicated Song: This song parody has a verse and chorus about Constipation in it and mentions an accidental relationship between cousins, as well as a decapitation. Due to the silly nature of it however, it's not too risque.

One More Minute: What pushes the envelop alittle is the descriptions of what he'd rather do instead of being with his girlfriend. Like "jumping into a swimming full of double razor blades" and "ripping out my intestines with a fork".

Jerry Springer: This song parody mentions a bunch of mature themes(sometimes silly versions of things) that are common on the Jerry Springer show. Also the word "bitch" in it, but it's bleeped out.

Truck Drivin' Song: This song is about a cross dressing truck driver, with some lyrics that ride on the borderline of risque.

Virus Alert: Has the word "Porn" once in the song, but that's it.

Midnight Star: The only slighty risque lyric(which I only caught after I bought the CD earlier this year, I used to the vinyl of the album and never understood the lyrics at that point) in this song is "how to make my breast size grow". Surprised me alittle bit when I actually heard it for the first time.

Wanna B Ur Lovr: This song is mildy risque in it's descriptions of hitting on a girl. But it's funny too.

Good Old Days: This song is about a guy who is a psycho, the lyrics are kinda of dark and set to some nice music.

I'm trying to think of some others, does anyone know of any other songs by Al that are slighty risque?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/12/07 at 1:31 pm

The Night Santa Went Crazy is somewhat over the top (for him) in its violent depictions, but there is a so-called "extra gory version"...I don't remember what verse it was that merited it "extra gory", but I'm sure someone can google that and share it here. (since I am pressed for time...)

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 1:41 pm

The Night Santa Went Crazy is somewhat over the top (for him) in its violent depictions, but there is a so-called "extra gory version"...I don't remember what verse it was that merited it "extra gory", but I'm sure someone can google that and share it here. (since I am pressed for time...)

I knew I was missing one, this happens to me alot when I groggy.

Here:

Down in the workshop all the elves were makin' toys
For the good Gentile girls and the good Gentile boys
When the boss busted in, nearly scared 'em half to death
Had a rifle in his hands and cheap whiskey on his breath
From his beard to his boots he was covered with ammo
Like a big fat drunk disgruntled Yuletide Rambo
And he smiled as he said with a twinkle in his eye,
"Merry Christmas to all - now you're all gonna die!"

The night Santa went crazy
The night St. Nick went insane
Realized he'd been gettin' a raw deal
Something finally must have snapped in his brain

Well, the workshop is gone now, he decided to bomb it
Everywhere you'll find pieces of Cupid and Comet
And he tied up his helpers and he held the elves hostage
And he ground up poor Rudolph into reindeer sausage
He got Dancer and Prancer with an old German Luger
And he slashed up Dasher just like Freddy Krueger
And he picked up a flamethrower and he barbequed Blitzen
And he took a big bite and said, "It tastes just like chicken!"

The night Kris Kringle went nuts
Now you can't hardly walk around the North Pole
Without steppin' in reindeer guts

There's the National Guard and the F.B.I.
There's a van from the Eyewitness News
And helicopters circlin' 'round in the sky
And the bullets are flyin', the body count's risin'
And everyone's dyin' to know, oh Santa, why?
My my my my my my
You used to be such a jolly guy

Yes, Virginia, now Santa's doin' time
In a federal prison for his infamous crime
Hey, little friend, now don't you cry no more tears
He'll be out with good behavior in 700 more years
But now Vixen's in therapy and Donner's still nervous
And the elves all got jobs working for the postal service
And they say Mrs. Clause, she's on the phone every night
With her lawyer negotiating the movie rights

They're talkin' bout - the night Santa went crazy
The night St. Nicholas flipped
Broke his back for some milk and cookies
Sounds to me like he was tired of gettin' gypped

Wo, the night Santa went crazy
Realized he's gettin' a raw deal
Wo, something finally must have snapped in his brain
Tell ya, something finally must have snapped... in his brain

^ Yeah, this is the sort of darker humor themed type of song Weird Al does on occasion. Although it's nothing compared to some of the songs that have been misattributed to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_by_%22Weird_Al%22_Yankovic

On the site page above, there is a small section of about that. ^

Quote:

Misattribution and imitators

Because Yankovic is arguably the most successful parody artist, songs posted to file sharing networks are often misattributed to him due to their humorous subject matter. Much to the disdain of Yankovic, this includes songs that are racist, sexually explicit, or otherwise offensive. A young listener who had heard several of these offensive tracks by way of a file sharing service confronted Yankovic online, threatening a boycott due to his supposedly explicit lyrics.

Yankovic cites these misattributions as "his real beef with P2P sites:

If you do a search for my name on any one of those sites, I guarantee you that about half of the songs that come up will be songs I had absolutely nothing to do with. That particularly bothers me, because I really try to do quality work, and I also try to maintain a more-or-less family-friendly image – and some of these songs that are supposedly by me are just … well, vulgar and awful. I truly think my reputation has suffered in a lot of people's minds because of all those fake Weird Al songs floating around the Internet.

It also links this site, which I posted before:

http://free.house.cx/~eil/etc/notal_list.html

I went to the list itself.^

Written By: Mushroom on 06/12/07 at 3:25 pm

I knew I was missing one, this happens to me alot when I groggy.

Every time I hear this song, it reminds me of the Lee Majors "movie within a movie" in Scrooged.  This would have made an excellent song for The Night The Reindeer Died.

Written By: Howard on 06/12/07 at 4:04 pm

Who here has listened to his parody of Y.M.C.A.?  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 4:46 pm

Every time I hear this song, it reminds me of the Lee Majors "movie within a movie" in Scrooged.  This would have made an excellent song for The Night The Reindeer Died.

I read that there is an extra gory version, I'll go and find the lyrics(it's on the Amish Paradise single).

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 4:52 pm

Found it, but most of it is still the same... except for what I'm going to bold

"Merry Christmas to all... now you're all gonna die!"

Well, the workshop is gone now he decided to bomb it
And he slashed up Dasher just like Freddie Krueger

Now you can hardly walk around the North Pole

There's the National Guard and the FBI
My my my my my my

Yes, Virginia, now Santa Claus is dead
Some guys from the swat team blew a hole in his head
Yes little friend now, that's his brains on the floor
I guess I won't have the fat guy to kick around any more
But now there's no more presents for the children's enjoyment
And the elves got to stand in line to file for unemployment
And they say Mrs. Claus, she's on the phone every night

They're talkin' 'bout - the night Santa went crazy

Woho, the night Santa went crazy

Woho, something finally must have snapped in his brain

This is the single version.^^^

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 5:02 pm

Found the live version, which uses the extra gory version lyrics.

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-47DYlMYn3w

Edit: Minus the second half of bolded lyrics.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/12/07 at 5:08 pm

Who here has listened to his parody of Y.M.C.A.?  ;D

What's it called? I want to check to see if it's the mislabeled one you're talking about.

Is it this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPz-eTnjvw

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/07 at 3:54 am

Found it, but most of it is still the same... except for what I'm going to bold

"Merry Christmas to all... now you're all gonna die!"

Well, the workshop is gone now he decided to bomb it
And he slashed up Dasher just like Freddie Krueger

Now you can hardly walk around the North Pole

There's the National Guard and the FBI
My my my my my my

Yes, Virginia, now Santa Claus is dead
Some guys from the swat team blew a hole in his head
Yes little friend now, that's his brains on the floor
I guess I won't have the fat guy to kick around any more
But now there's no more presents for the children's enjoyment
And the elves got to stand in line to file for unemployment
And they say Mrs. Claus, she's on the phone every night

They're talkin' 'bout - the night Santa went crazy

Woho, the night Santa went crazy

Woho, something finally must have snapped in his brain

This is the single version.^^^

Oh yeah, I've heard people on his official site message board mention the gory version (I read over there alot, but haven't posted), but couldn't remember the lyrics. I can see why it was changed to him being in jail for 700 years instead, lol.

BTW, I never realized the "breast size" line from "Midnight Star" even though I instantly recognized what part of the song it was in. I bet the backup singers and/or the producers purposefully jumbled it up so most people wouldn't be able to make it out.

Even though all of his '90s albums were usually a little edgier with the occasional sexual reference, etc. I consider Running With Scissors to be his first "new" album in many respects. Maybe also because this is where he ditched the "classic" glasses and moustache look (after he got laser surgery).

I think he would've perhaps done more of those songs in the '80s, but it could've typecasted him. Since he now has an established image of being usually family-friendly/unoffensive, he can sorta get away with it here and there.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/07 at 6:08 am

What's it called? I want to check to see if it's the mislabeled one you're talking about.

Is it this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPz-eTnjvw

Yes,That's the one.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/13/07 at 4:03 pm

Yes,That's the one.

That's not one of Weird Al's...

He did do a Yoda parody. It goes to Lola(by The Kinks), not Y.M.C.A.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/13/07 at 4:11 pm

Oh yeah, I've heard people on his official site message board mention the gory version (I read over there alot, but haven't posted), but couldn't remember the lyrics. I can see why it was changed to him being in jail for 700 years instead, lol.

BTW, I never realized the "breast size" line from "Midnight Star" even though I instantly recognized what part of the song it was in. I bet the backup singers and/or the producers purposefully jumbled it up so most people wouldn't be able to make it out.

Even though all of his '90s albums were usually a little edgier with the occasional sexual reference, etc. I consider Running With Scissors to be his first "new" album in many respects. Maybe also because this is where he ditched the "classic" glasses and moustache look (after he got laser surgery).

I think he would've perhaps done more of those songs in the '80s, but it could've typecasted him. Since he now has an established image of being usually family-friendly/unoffensive, he can sorta get away with it here and there.

He does sing the first half of the altered verse on live perfromances. I never knew about the extra gory version until looking up info on him on wikipedia. I guess although he didn't put that version on the main album, he didn't want it to go to waste, so he put it on the single.

I couldn't believe that some young person actually threatened to boycott him over some dirty/offensive parodies that were mislabeled as his(without doing any search to make sure whether it was his or not). I wonder which ones he listened to?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/16/07 at 5:03 pm

I read about "A complicated song", reportedly.... Weird Al tried to do constipation, incest and decapitation as full ideas for the song(in other words, each one separately). But he couldn't do it and just decided to go with all three.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/16/07 at 10:59 pm

I read about "A complicated song", reportedly.... Weird Al tried to do constipation, incest and decapitation as full ideas for the song(in other words, each one separately). But he couldn't do it and just decided to go with all three.

He has tried many, many different subjects, I've heard...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/17/07 at 5:21 pm

On the OS Complicated?  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/17/07 at 6:10 pm

But all he knows are "food songs".

Written By: Step-chan on 06/17/07 at 7:05 pm

He knows alot more than that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/18/07 at 4:31 pm

Just curious, have you ever listened to one of his full albums all the way through (in other words, every song and not just the popular or "hit single" ones)?

Ever since 1992's Off The Deep End he basically moved away from food songs. Even in the '80s, he did alot more than that - it just happened to have been the biggest theme that popularized his music early on (i.e. Eat It, I Love Rocky Road, Fat).

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/18/07 at 10:22 pm

On the OS Complicated?  ???

Yes, on "Complicated", he tried sooo many things that rhymed with "Complicated" and chose the funniest to combine.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 7:14 am

Just curious, have you ever listened to one of his full albums all the way through (in other words, every song and not just the popular or "hit single" ones)?

Ever since 1992's Off The Deep End he basically moved away from food songs. Even in the '80s, he did alot more than that - it just happened to have been the biggest theme that popularized his music early on (i.e. Eat It, I Love Rocky Road, Fat).

Yes,I have most of his albums.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/19/07 at 8:49 pm

Yes, on "Complicated", he tried sooo many things that rhymed with "Complicated" and chose the funniest to combine.

Oh, okay. I know he was trying to make one full idea too, but did a medley instead.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/07 at 3:41 pm

Actually, the last "food song" he did was really "The White Stuff" on his 1992 album Off The Deep End.  He has done a few others since then that peripherally dealt with food (Waffle King, Grapefruit Diet, Trapped In The Drive-Thru), but food itself was not the subject of the song.

In much the same way people often say he only does parody songs.  When in reality, over half of his songs from the very beginning have been original works.  It is just that his food songs and parodies are what most people know and recognize.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/22/07 at 4:25 pm

I'm sure that most of the general public also doesn't know that:

--He is married, and has one child (so far)
--He is a vegetarian
--He was the valedictorian of his high school
--He has a degree in architecture from Poly Tech Institute of San Luis Obispo
--He is NOT related to Frankie Yankovic.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/22/07 at 6:12 pm

--He is a vegetarian

Not only is he a vegetarian, but he's a full-on vegan.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/07 at 6:24 pm

Not only is he a vegetarian, but he's a full-on vegan.

What's the difference between the two?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/22/07 at 6:42 pm

What's the difference between the two?

Vegetarians don't eat meat. Vegans don't eat meat or any other animal product like eggs and milk.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/22/07 at 6:44 pm

Vegetarians don't eat meat. Vegans don't eat meat or any other animal product like eggs and milk.

Oh, okay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/07 at 4:48 am

Who invented the paper-clip?

Written By: Howard on 06/23/07 at 6:26 am

--He is a vegetarian

But Weird Al also plays the accordian in most of the videos he's in.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/23/07 at 12:26 pm

But Weird Al also plays the accordian in most of the videos he's in.

Only a few...

Written By: Step-chan on 06/23/07 at 6:40 pm

Only a few...

Although....

His first album he played all songs with the accordion.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/23/07 at 7:27 pm

Although....

His first album he played all songs with the accordion.

I think that's true. After the first, it was sparse.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/23/07 at 8:29 pm

I think that's true. After the first, it was sparse.

Second album on up....

Written By: Howard on 06/23/07 at 8:53 pm

Second album on up....

How about the song "Lasangna"?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/23/07 at 11:05 pm

How about the song "Lasangna"?

That had an accordion, but not in the video.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/25/07 at 8:44 am

That had an accordion, but not in the video.

A video? Where?  :o

(Howard, the accordian playing is sparse...but it is on the polka medleys, on "Syndicated Inc.', "Ode to A Super Hero" and "Headline News", among others.)

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/25/07 at 9:31 pm

A video? Where?  :o

(Howard, the accordian playing is sparse...but it is on the polka medleys, on "Syndicated Inc.', "Ode to A Super Hero" and "Headline News", among others.)

It was a short segment recorded for "The Weird Al Show". There was also a segment of "Livin' in the Fridge" recorded for it.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/07 at 6:23 am

It was a short segment recorded for "The Weird Al Show". There was also a segment of "Livin' in the Fridge" recorded for it.

When was The Weird Al Show?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/29/07 at 6:59 pm

I never saw it when it was on, so I don't myself.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/07 at 8:32 am

I never saw it when it was on, so I don't myself.

Maybe someone else knows.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/01/07 at 6:18 pm

Maybe someone else knows.

I only seen alittle of it on a DVD that was playing at a comic book store.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/07 at 7:25 pm

I only seen alittle of it on a DVD that was playing at a comic book store.

Do you remember what channel it was on?  ???

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/01/07 at 10:59 pm

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/01/07 at 10:59 pm

I think it was on WB.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/07 at 6:36 am

I don't remember it being on Television.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/02/07 at 7:52 am

I think it was on WB.

It was CBS. They were totally clueless about the whole thing.

Get it on DVD.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/02/07 at 4:40 pm

Agrimorfee said CBS.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 7:01 am

I haven't been in this section for awhile, so I didn't even notice the further replies, lol.

Yeah, The Weird Al Show was on in the mid-late '90s, but didn't last too long. Speaking of that in a loosely related way, has anyone seen the mock interviews he does for his Al-TV specials? This might be an understatement, but I think those are some of the most gut-bustingly funny things I've seen. Bascially, he takes a prerecorded celebrity interview and splices himself in there as if he were directly "talking" to them, purposefully making their answers look silly or humorous.

YouTube uploaded lots of them (I'll post links if anyone wants). My favorites are the ones with Prince, Tom Petty, Ozzy, Avril Lavigne, Billy Joel and especially Keith Richards. ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/26/07 at 7:37 am

Speaking of that in a loosely related way, has anyone seen the mock interviews he does for his Al-TV specials? This might be an understatement, but I think those are some of the most gut-bustingly funny things I've seen. ...

Loved additionally the "interview" with Eminem, taking him to task for not letting Al make a vid for "Couch Potato". ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/26/07 at 7:43 am

^Forgot to mention that one, but it was hilarious too, and one of his longer ones. He also heavily emphasized the "Know what I'm sayin'" phrase, lol.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/26/07 at 12:26 pm

Loved additionally the "interview" with Eminem, taking him to task for not letting Al make a vid for "Couch Potato". ;D

The fact that Eminem didn't allow Al to do the parody was hypocritical. Eminem has made fun of people in his own videos before. He allowed the parody to be done, but afterward decided against the video(after listening to the song).

Subject: Link to 1992 VH1 interview/documentary with Al!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 10:36 am

Couldn't believe I found a link to this when I was browsing Al's message board. It's a VH1 documentary from 1992 which I actually remember from when it originally aired (I taped a copy, but lost that ages ago). The program was called VH1 To One, a sort of combination career retrospective/biography, but done in a straight, in-depth interview style. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Anyway, he gives some insight on individual songs as well as stories of growing up as well as his career up to that point. Everything he says is mostly truthful, but it's easy to distinguish when he's joking because of his offbeat, exaggerated sense of humor. ;)

Here's the link, it's in 3 parts and is a half-hour long:

http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2mq84_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-1_fun
http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2mv1j_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-2_fun/1
http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2muyd_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-3_fun/1

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/01/07 at 12:04 pm

did you know that VH1's Behind the Music episode on Weird Al was voted one of the most popular ever? (Motley Crue was #1, if I recall)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 12:14 pm

^ Yeah, I've heard that too. I actually have that one on tape as well. Even though it became outdated pretty quick as far as information (since 1999, he's gotten married and had a daughter, released two more albums, as well as his parents' tragic death), it's a very breezy, informative and fun show to watch. So I can see why people liked it.

I think it would actually be the best place for a new fan to become acquainted with him, whereas since it's just him on the VH1 To One episode, his sense of humor might go over some people's head who weren't familar with him, lol.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/03/07 at 10:13 pm

I seen someone attribute him to the song from Conker's Bad Fur Day on Wikipedia... Sheesh...

I'll go and find it real quick.

Edit: Here we go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Conker_series

Of course, the page does point out that it doesn't cite any references or sources.

Sometimes I feel that site needs moderaters(if they have them, they don't have enough).

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/07 at 5:32 am

Has Weird Al produced a video for "You're Pitiful", his version of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"?

Written By: Howard on 10/24/07 at 6:23 am

Has Weird Al produced a video for "You're Pitiful", his version of James Blunt's "You're Beautiful"?

I don't know if he has done any videos in quite a while,Has He?  ???

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/07 at 4:27 pm

I don't know if he has done any videos in quite a while,Has He?  ???

I know he's done some for his newest album.(That has White and Nerdy on it)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/07 at 10:15 pm

I seen someone attribute him to the song from Conker's Bad Fur Day on Wikipedia... Sheesh...

I'll go and find it real quick.

Edit: Here we go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Conker_series

Of course, the page does point out that it doesn't cite any references or sources.

Sometimes I feel that site needs moderaters(if they have them, they don't have enough).

Well, they have moderators, but so few people can't know everything about all the information submitted. Yanno, it'd be hard to be on top of EVERYTHING and keep it correct yourself.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/28/07 at 4:23 pm

Well, they have moderators, but so few people can't know everything about all the information submitted. Yanno, it'd be hard to be on top of EVERYTHING and keep it correct yourself.

It looks like they're aware that what was posted didn't have any proven sources for it.

Edit: It looks like they changed it.. Correcting the wrong parts.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/18/08 at 1:16 pm

I found another song parody that is being misattributed to Weird Al. It's called "Don't touch that". Well, it isn't a dirty one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 3:11 am

Is there a new album being produced?

Check for new replies or respond here...