inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about libraries and/or geneology

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 12:24 am

Didn't know what I could possibly have as an Ask Me thread, so this is what I came up with.

I was a librarian for 15 years, and I've been doing my family tree off and on for almost 20 years, I guess I should know at least *something* about those two subjects.  I guess if you wanna ask me other stuff, you can too.  I will try to answer as best as I can.  :)

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about libraries and/or geneology

Written By: Gis on 12/13/06 at 6:30 am

Just to say I had already done a library/book thread that died a death somewhere back on page one of this board, being a fellow librarian myself.  :)

Written By: Gis on 12/13/06 at 6:49 am

By the way I don't mean that in a 'how dare you start the same thread as me' way but in a 'don't be disheartened if noone asks you any questions' way!

So these online geneology sites, would you say they are any good?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/13/06 at 9:57 am

how far back have you researched your family? I always thought this would be a very interesting thing to do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/06 at 11:33 am

I have reached 1796 on my paternal side and 1776 on my maternal side, but now have grind to a halt seeking new details or time for deeper research.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/13/06 at 11:59 am

Are there any free sites that help with the process of researching your genealogy? I checked a few popular sites out, but they are so expensive! :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/06 at 12:01 pm

Are there any free sites that help with the process of researching your genealogy? I checked a few popular sites out, but they are so expensive! :-\\
Same for me, but there sites where the infomation is still free.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 12:55 pm

Just to say I had already done a library/book thread that died a death somewhere back on page one of this board, being a fellow librarian myself.  :)

Oopsie!  I probably should have looked before I posted.  I noticed somewhere else that you posted that you are a librarian.  How cool!  I loved my job.  I think I saw that you work at Oxford University library?  How impressive!  I was just in two tiny little small town public libraries for my whole career.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 1:43 pm

By the way I don't mean that in a 'how dare you start the same thread as me' way but in a 'don't be disheartened if noone asks you any questions' way!

So these online geneology sites, would you say they are any good?

Well I'd say the online sites are good for basic research, especially if you don't happen to live in the same area you are researching.  Also the internet comes in handy just for the sheer fact of the ease of e-mail and contacting other libraries or historial or geneological societies or even contacting potential "cousins".  I've connected with several people that have provided me with a goldmine of information about family they researched that I was nowhere near getting that information on my own.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 1:56 pm

how far back have you researched your family? I always thought this would be a very interesting thing to do.

Well..I, personally, have only gotten back as far as my great-great-great grandparents, mostly through searching online.  I did connected with people that have gotten way farther back in their research, so combining it with what I've done...up to 4x great grandparents on my mother's side.  Although all I have back that far is a name and a birthplace and approximate birthyear (1751).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 2:02 pm

I found these sites pretty helpful:

http://www.rootsweb.com

http://www.cyndislist.com/ - Cyndi's List (which is really just a mega listing of various geneology resources on the internet)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp - which is the Church of Latter Day Saints who one of their beliefs is to honor those ancestors that came before us (even if they weren't part of that particular religeon)

http://www.census-online.com/links/

Tip: Do general searches - if you get too detailed in looking for the names, it may not list the proper record. You may end up with several names, but it's easier to search multiple entries with the same name rather then look for a particular name (that might have been misspelled in some record and copied wrong online.)

Sometimes even do a partial name search.  For example:  Say you are looking up the family name "Hendershot", trying searching for "Hender" or "Hinder" .  There are so many variations on name spelling, not to mention when census takers of old went door to door, they wrote down what they heard not necessarily the proper spellling of the name.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/06 at 2:08 pm

Another good website is;

http://www.ancestry.com

The majority is lock and needs money to unlock certain places, information can still be obtained from the open ones.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/06 at 2:27 pm

My mother is a genealogist and has done a lot of work in the field (and has a few of her books in the Library of Congress). If you are serious about searching your family tree, I wouldn't take too much stock in on-line sites (even though it may be a good starting point). You really need to do some leg work-go to the Vital Statics in the state where your family is from. This will have birth/death certificates plus marriage licences. Church records are also a good source. Another good source (which most people don't even think about) are cemeteries. My mother has gone to so many cemeteries and got info off of headstones.  I have never really done the work myself (because my mother did) but I have been her "assistant" many times (whether I wanted to be or not  ::) )

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/13/06 at 4:13 pm

What made you decide to become a librarian? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 6:27 pm

My mother is a genealogist and has done a lot of work in the field (and has a few of her books in the Library of Congress). If you are serious about searching your family tree, I wouldn't take too much stock in on-line sites (even though it may be a good starting point). You really need to do some leg work-go to the Vital Statics in the state where your family is from. This will have birth/death certificates plus marriage licences. Church records are also a good source. Another good source (which most people don't even think about) are cemeteries. My mother has gone to so many cemeteries and got info off of headstones.  I have never really done the work myself (because my mother did) but I have been her "assistant" many times (whether I wanted to be or not  ::) )

Cat

Very true about having to either go to the courthouses or vital records places or mailing them requests.  Also true about the cemetaries.  I've been to and drug my husband to so many cemetaries in search of "dead relatives" he calls me his "little ghoul" (affectionately, of course).  I love looking at some of the fancy markers that are in cemetaries too.

Also, one other hint.  Always write down where you got your information, including page numbers, books, and date books were published.  Sometimes it helps to note where you read the book (what library you looked at it.)  And if it's a personal interview, it's nice to note when and where the interview was given.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/06 at 6:31 pm

What made you decide to become a librarian? ???

I have always always loved books and reading.  Mom says I was reading to her when I was 4.  I personally don't remember.  lol

I can still remember my very first trip to the library, who I was with and what book I borrowed.  I was 7 yrs old and I got a book out about making monster masks out of paper.  lol  I don't know why, since I never made any of them, but it's always fun to read.

In high school I used to get on the school bus to go home and just hop off at library and get mom to come get me later in the evening.  I always joke that I hung out so much at the library, that they just started paying me one day.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 12/15/06 at 5:53 am

Will you go back to library work one day?

Written By: Howard on 12/15/06 at 6:24 am

What's your favorite book?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/06 at 7:06 pm

Will you go back to library work one day?

I would like to.  But I doubt it.  Mostly libraries now want you to hold a MLS (Master of Library Science) for reference work.  As well as the profession doesn't seem to pay much anymore.  :( 
I've been thinking about moving back to my home town where I worked in the library for 15 years, I'd probably have a good chance at getting on back there as they have trouble keeping people and they know I'd work my butt off.  It's a decision I've really been struggling with. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/15/06 at 7:11 pm

What's your favorite book?

That's a tough one to narrow down.  I have many books that I've really grown to love, that I've read over and over and over again.  I generally like quick reads and anthologies (I have the attention capacity of a gnat. unfortunately).

Written By: Howard on 12/16/06 at 7:01 am

Is it true that there isn't much quiet in libraries as much as there used to be?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/06 at 7:10 am

Another good website is;

http://www.ancestry.com

The majority is lock and needs money to unlock certain places, information can still be obtained from the open ones.
Ancestry,com has just locked one of the most useful sections, to continue I have to pay for a subscription now.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 3:35 pm

Is it true that there isn't much quiet in libraries as much as there used to be?

That's true.  Although some of the bigger libraries also have a specified "quiet" room with closed doors and tables and chairs so that if that is what you desire then that's where you go.

I'm not even sure why libraries aren't very quiet anymore, at first I want to say it's because of computers, but it's mostly because, in general, most people don't bother talking in a lower voice or whisper when they are there.  *shrugs her shoulders*  I tend to talk very softly anyways, so I guess it doesn't bother me much.  However, I'm starting to lose my hearing pretty noticeably, so perhaps being somewhere where people are quiet isn't the type of place I should be afterall.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 3:37 pm

Ancestry,com has just locked one of the most useful sections, to continue I have to pay for a subscription now.

That's too bad.  I had a subscription to it years ago, but just didn't feel like I got enough information out of it to warrant paying as much as they charge.  Sometimes libraries subscribe to databases like these, you might consider checking at your local "house of books" or maybe a geneology society near you.  :)

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 3:46 pm

I'm trying to find out who a certain family member was related to whom.  The census reports from that time are inconclusive.  Church records have stated her existence, but they have her as an orphan.  How does one find out about illegitimate children during the 1880's.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 4:01 pm

I'm trying to find out who a certain family member was related to whom.  The census reports from that time are inconclusive.  Church records have stated her existence, but they have her as an orphan.  How does one find out about illegitimate children during the 1880's.

Well apart from writing to the courthouse (or wherever you would get your typical birth certificate) with an approximate date of birth, although also you might consider finding the person's death certificate as well.  Sometimes those list parents (whether they were married or not).  You might also check in the church has baptismal records for your person too.  If the person is old enough, sometimes marriage licenses list parents, although it's not always given.

Written By: spaceace on 12/16/06 at 4:07 pm

Well apart from writing to the courthouse (or wherever you would get your typical birth certificate) with an approximate date of birth, although also you might consider finding the person's death certificate as well.  Sometimes those list parents (whether they were married or not).  You might also check in the church has baptismal records for your person too.  If the person is old enough, sometimes marriage licenses list parents, although it's not always given.

No offense, but you're not telling me anything we haven't already looked into.  Thanks anyway. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/06 at 4:12 pm

That's too bad.  I had a subscription to it years ago, but just didn't feel like I got enough information out of it to warrant paying as much as they charge.  Sometimes libraries subscribe to databases like these, you might consider checking at your local "house of books" or maybe a geneology society near you.  :)
The info is available for free in local libraries, or family history establishments. The section just locked out was the UK 1901 Census, all I had to do before was type in the name and the options came up of area resided and those living in the same household.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 5:07 pm

I would like to.  But I doubt it.  Mostly libraries now want you to hold a MLS (Master of Library Science) for reference work.  As well as the profession doesn't seem to pay much anymore.  :( 
I've been thinking about moving back to my home town where I worked in the library for 15 years, I'd probably have a good chance at getting on back there as they have trouble keeping people and they know I'd work my butt off.  It's a decision I've really been struggling with. 

would that be Pittsburgh?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 9:23 pm

would that be Pittsburgh?

Well...I wouldn't mind moving to Pittsburgh, but surprisingly there is alot of competition for library jobs there (Pitt University offers a MLS degree so alot of undergrads and such tend to get those jobs.)  Although there are TONS of libraries in the area.  I liked the area alot. 

I was talking about where I grew up in eastern Ohio where I had the majority of my library experience.  It's a real small town with a huge library.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 9:24 pm

Well...I wouldn't mind moving to Pittsburgh, but surprisingly there is alot of competition for library jobs there (Pitt University offers a MLS degree so alot of undergrads and such tend to get those jobs.)  Although there are TONS of libraries in the area.  I liked the area alot. 

I was talking about where I grew up in eastern Ohio where I had the majority of my library experience.  It's a real small town with a huge library.  :)

that would be really cool...I wouldn't mind having that job at all....books are a very important part of my life! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/06 at 10:00 pm

that would be really cool...I wouldn't mind having that job at all....books are a very important part of my life! :)

I must say it is a very satisfying career and you learn alot too.  You also become (well at least, I did) part-time guidance counselor (helping people get onto job websites and showing them websites to test what job would suit their abilities, not to mention showing them vocational guidance books.  You become a sort of psychiatrist, I don't know how many people came in (having just been to the doctor, who had given them the technical name of whatever condition they suffer from) and they told me practically their life story because they just needed a sympathetic ear to listen and get some more information about their illness.  That was a very satisfying part of my job.  You even become a travel agent, in helping people get information about where they want to travel, and showing them websites for discount travel services.  Alot of times they brought back photos to show me of their travels.

You may not be able to do that in some of the bigger libraries, but I found that my job entailed alot of public service above just finding a book and checking it out to them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/16/06 at 10:03 pm

I must say it is a very satisfying career and you learn alot too.  You also become (well at least, I did) part-time guidance counselor (helping people get onto job websites and showing them websites to test what job would suit their abilities, not to mention showing them vocational guidance books.  You become a sort of psychiatrist, I don't know how many people came in (having just been to the doctor, who had given them the technical name of whatever condition they suffer from) and they told me practically their life story because they just needed a sympathetic ear to listen and get some more information about their illness.  That was a very satisfying part of my job.  You even become a travel agent, in helping people get information about where they want to travel, and showing them websites for discount travel services.  Alot of times they brought back photos to show me of their travels.

You may not be able to do that in some of the bigger libraries, but I found that my job entailed alot of public service above just finding a book and checking it out to them.

wow...that sounds awesome! What was your major in college?

Written By: Howard on 12/17/06 at 6:36 am

How much do librarians pay?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/06 at 6:41 am

Do they get paid in book tokens?

Written By: Howard on 12/17/06 at 6:43 am

I wouldn't know.

Written By: spaceace on 12/17/06 at 6:16 pm

Have you ever gone to the Library of Congress?  I was there, I got goosebumps.  Then I threatened to seek perminant residence in the building. :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 6:21 pm

wow...that sounds awesome! What was your major in college?

Well..I didn't make it all the way through.  School has never been my thing.  :-[  But I was going after a Information Technology: Information Services Major  (Associate of Applied Science Degree Program).  I was trying to go to school full-time while holding down a full-time job at the library and I just did not have enough willpower or strength or whatever it is you need to get through such things.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 6:31 pm

Well...lots of factors that affect this figure.  Where you live, years of experience, how much education you have..

According to the American Library Association, (which compiled information about salary from most members of the organization) the rate of a beginning librarian (in 2002) was $35,051 and a director of the library (the boss) salary was $75,715 a year.  In 2002, I had 15 years of experience working for the same library, and I was making at most $16,000 plus health insurance which I paid about half of the cost of from my salary.  I kept getting passed over for promotion (twice by people who had been there less time) because I did not have a college degree, so I knew it was time to leave.  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 6:33 pm

well...we did not have to pay library fines anyways.  ;D  I also would get to take home books that they threw away or that people donated that they did not want to use in the library.  So I have a pretty library myself now.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/17/06 at 6:35 pm

Have you ever gone to the Library of Congress?  I was there, I got goosebumps.  Then I threatened to seek perminant residence in the building. :)

I have not, although I'd really like to someday.  I think it would be rather awe-inspiring.  I think that I could probably live happily in a library myself.  :)

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 10:55 am

What was the strangest request you had for a library book (or anything in the library) ?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/16/08 at 12:56 pm

Yay!  My thread lives again!

Ummm...We had a few prank library requests over the years.  One guy in his early 20s came in requesting a book about sexual positions or something, and gave the name of his friend and his friend's phone number, so that when we called to tell him that the book he requested was in, he had to say "I didn't request that."  ::)  Silly prank.

Another guy (maybe even the same guy) came in and talked to my boss (who happened to be working the request counter that night).  What did he request?  A book called "Yellow River" by I. C. Upee.  :D  Bless him, my boss actually wrote the request up as a normal one and put "publishing information unknown".  I laughed my butt off all day when I was typing up the request sheet.

We had our share of people with...um... nonsense requests for in-library research too.  This one guy was a bit squirrelly, he came in and wanted to be shown, in print, from a history of our small town, the first instance where people used fire, used water, and used air in our fine city.  Then when we tried to explain that that would be impossible for us to find, he said to go ask the little guys that live in the computer monitor, that they would be able to find an answer.  Okay.  ;D

I loved my job, it was rarely dull. 

We had another guy, he was kind of known as the town drunk (yes, it's a very small town that I'm from - about 4,000 people), he came in to the library because people at the bar told him that we had a pool table.  I honestly tried to help him, I told him while I regret that we didn't have any actual tables in the building, I could give him a book on how to play billiards better. 

We had a real live bounty hunter come in and use our computers once.  He had asked to have the obscenity filter taken off the computer because it wouldn't let him access the webpage that listed bounties.  I was interested in it, at the time, because I was tempted to look and see if the guy I was dating, at the time, was wanted for criminal activity.  You had to pay a fee to do criminal background research and I should have paid because he did turn out to be a bum and petty criminal.  ::)

We had a fellow that was a very mild cross-dresser, he would come in women's heels or flat shoes and wear lipstick, he would come to me and ask for books on 40s film actresses, specifically color pictures.  Whatever floats your boat, doesn't bother me any.  So I helped him find the books.  Some people would really flip out to help them.

A couple almost scary instance happened while I was employed at the library.  Our building had a meeting room where people could rent to have baby showers and such.  One time, the lady came up looking for a pencil sharpener, all we had was the non-electrical/non-battery/manual type and she wanted to sharpen 50 pencils, needless to say she was peeved.  So this guy that was sitting there listening to me apologize because we didn't have what she wanted said "I can help you" so he started leading her out the door.  I mean, who knows where he was gonna take her, (OK, I guess that wasn't really scary, but I mean, it was a dull shift and it could have been dangerous).  The lady's sister later came up and yelled at me for not stopping them from walking out of the building together.  Oh well. 

Another time, our library had a end-of-summer reading club party, we had well over 100 kids and their parents there milling around the building.  One parent came up to me and asked where her daughter was.  I didn't know because while I was waiting on the kids as they checked out all their books, I was really keeping an eye on any one particular kid.  So then the kid was reported missing.  Later on, I found out that the little girl had actually gone home with a friend of hers but neglected to tell her mother. 

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 1:10 pm

Those are some interesting stories! :)

Did you have to do a lot of shushing (sp) while you worked there?  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/16/08 at 1:27 pm

Sorry I got carried away with my stories up there.  I'm sure they were much more interesting to me then to anybody else.  ;D  But thanks for reading 'em anyways.  :)

lol nah, I didn't have to use my "shusher" very often, I was a pretty easy-going librarian.  And my library was darned loud! 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/16/08 at 4:00 pm

I would just like to add that I am a huge fan of libraries and librarians.  They are the vanguard of freedom, and some of the nicest people I have ever met    :-*

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/08 at 4:32 am

Are there any adult only book under the counter?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/08 at 5:48 am

What do they mean when they say "second cousin once removed" ?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/22/08 at 9:25 pm

I'm trying to remember what we kept behind the counter because it's been 6 years since I've worked at my library.  I guess I should say that each library is different and has different policies.  Depending on the size of the library and storage capability and budget actually, there are different "rules" for each library.

One library that I worked at had about 90,000 books (for a small town that is alot of books.)  Population for that town was around 4,000 people.
They were definately more strict at what they kept behind the circulation desk (which in both libraries I worked at, was the same as the reference desk) in the first library I worked at.  I've only worked at 2 smallish libraries.  Nothing too risque, as such, mostly stuff that would often get stolen and also books that people asked to put on reservation.  I think we did actually have a sexual positions book behind the desk, while it wasn't... hardcore, per se, it was tasteful in it's photos (as I recall the photos were blurred in strategic points.)  lol  I think it did eventually get stolen or checked out and never returned.  I can only hope the couple that has it, enjoyed themselves and learned something.  ;D

The other small library that I worked at was much smaller (probably more like 10,000 or so books for a town the same size or slightly larger.)  It did not have as good budget as the first library.  We didn't have any books other then local history books that were pretty rare (and hard to replace) stored behind the desk.

Another library that I had ties to, had books that were not often checked out, or perhaps not of interest to the general public such as books about working in a library (always fun to read when you work "in the trenches" so to speak.), stored either behind the desk or in an area that was not accessible to the public.

You would not think stealing would be a big problem in libraries (and really if there is security systems in place, I would imagine it's less of a problem, although you'd be surprised at the lengths people go to steal things.)  I still don't understand why people steal out of a library, I mean...c'mon...you can check the book out for free.  I think it's very selfish of people to steal stuff or rip pages out of a magazine or cut coupons out of a newspaper from the library.  But oh well...I'll get off my soapbox.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/22/08 at 9:44 pm

I would just like to add that I am a huge fan of libraries and librarians.  They are the vanguard of freedom, and some of the nicest people I have ever met    :-*

I totally agree, and I'm not just saying that because I used to be one myself.  I would go to conventions every couple years and the stories that you hear at these are worth the price of admission. 

You have to be smart to work at a library, and you can't be lazy.  There are some misconceptions from some people that what librarians do is sit around and read all the books at the library.  I never had that priviledge myself, I was so busy every day, and I really got a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment working there.  I would like to maybe work again in a library if I can get hired.  I have some things working against me, but I'm hoping that, at least, since I have experience, they would be willing to overlook my lack of an education or time that I have not worked lately.  *shrugs my shoulders*

What do they mean when they say "second cousin once removed" ?

It's a term to help people figure out how they are related.  (I'll bet you are saying "Well, duh!"  ;D ) 
In short, you take a common ancestor between two people, There are terms that everyone uses and recognizes such as Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Grandmother, cousin, Aunt and Uncle, etc.  Your second cousins are the people in your family who have the same great-grandparents as you., but not the same grandparents. Such as, your grandmother's brother (or your mother's uncle) (or your great-uncle) (all the same person.)  But if you were to compare your grandmother's cousin with yourself, that would make them your first cousin twice removed. 

When the word "removed" is used to describe a relationship, it indicates that the two people are from different generations. You and your first cousins are in the same generation (two generations younger than your grandparents), so the word "removed" is not used to describe your relationship.

The words "once removed" mean that there is a difference of one generation. For example, your mother's first cousin is your first cousin, once removed. This is because your mother's first cousin is one generation younger than your grandparents and you are two generations younger than your grandparents. This one-generation difference equals "once removed."

Twice removed means that there is a two-generation difference. You are two generations younger than a first cousin of your grandmother, so you and your grandmother's first cousin are first cousins, twice removed.
  *the italicized words came from this website - http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

The further back into your geneology you get, the more confusing relationships get.  If you look at a standard family tree, if no one was divorced or remarried and they stayed married to the same person their whole adulthood, it would look like this:

You
Your mom  - Your Dad
Your mom's mom  - your mom's dad    - Your dad's dad  - Your dad's mom  (4 people)
Your mom's grandparents -    Your dad's grandparents  (8 people)
Your mom's great grandparents - Your dad's great grandparents  (16 people)
and so on and so on and so on!

It grows quite big after a very short time.  And that is just direct descendants, not including brothers and sisters of each person nor remarriages/divorces.  It can get really confusing.  So to make a long story short (too late), it's just a term to help sort out people's relationships to one another.  There is a chart available to also help sort the relationship out on the above page.  It's pretty handy.
A nice one can be found here: http://www.lightpatch.com/genealogy/cardon_history/relationship_chart.gif

Written By: Gis on 09/30/08 at 3:22 am

To give you the Copyright Library perspective we have a 'pornography cupboard' or grille where the material is stored under lock and key. Any requests are vetted first and then if approved the item will be sent to the reader in a separate room where they are invigilated constantly. This also goes for material that is concidered contraversial, like 'The Satanic Verses' for example. It is worth remembering that things like the early Playboy magazines were actually filled with very interesting articles and only had a double spread of very arty and tasteful pics. So no resemblance to the ones of today!  ::)

Sadly we have had various instances of people veiwing or downloading porn, the worst being child porn. That guy was arrested on site and the computer removed by the police for evidence.

Along these lines my favourite piece of lost property was a bag with girlie mags and polaroids of tortoises in it!?! I kid you not  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/08 at 3:25 am

To give you the Copyright Library perspective we have a 'pornography cupboard' or grille where the material is stored under lock and key. Any requests are vetted first and then if approved the item will be sent to the reader in a separate room where they are invigilated constantly. This also goes for material that is concidered contraversial, like 'The Satanic Verses' for example. It is worth remembering that things like the early Playboy magazines were actually filled with very interesting articles and only had a double spread of very arty and tasteful pics. So no resemblance to the ones of today!  ::)

Sadly we have had various instances of people veiwing or downloading porn, the worst being child porn. That guy was arrested on site and the computer removed by the police for evidence.

Along these lines my favourite piece of lost property was a bag with girlie mags and polaroids of tortoises in it!?! I kid you not  ;D
It is the separate room that worries me.

Written By: Gis on 09/30/08 at 4:41 am

It is the separate room that worries me.
Why? They are watched by at least one member of staff at all times as I said in my previous post.

Written By: karen on 10/01/08 at 12:24 pm

Have you thought about getting a job in a school library?  I know my cousin recently started work in one although she does not have any qualifications in that area. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/01/08 at 8:34 pm

yeah, I looked into that route about...oh I dunno...9 years ago and I looked into becoming a librarian in a prison (actually had an interview and everything) about 14 years ago...  Lots of places have librarians.  At one of those conventions that I mentioned above, I met a librarian who worked at a greeting card company, they pretty much cataloged the various graphic and text fonts for all the cards that the company made.  (I thought that was a really cool and unusual librarian position)

Since I am going to be getting back (hopefully) into the field again this coming year, I will have to look into that again.  Thanks  :-*

Written By: Gis on 10/02/08 at 3:16 am

yeah, I looked into that route about...oh I dunno...9 years ago and I looked into becoming a librarian in a prison (actually had an interview and everything) about 14 years ago...  Lots of places have librarians.  At one of those conventions that I mentioned above, I met a librarian who worked at a greeting card company, they pretty much cataloged the various graphic and text fonts for all the cards that the company made.  (I thought that was a really cool and unusual librarian position)

Since I am going to be getting back (hopefully) into the field again this coming year, I will have to look into that again.  Thanks  :-*
Yay!  :D

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 8:44 pm

Will libraries go away or disappear with the progression of technological advances such as "digital books."  Will there be a need for physical libraries?

Written By: Gis on 10/14/08 at 10:48 am

Will libraries go away or disappear with the progression of technological advances such as "digital books."   Will there be a need for physical libraries?
As a librarian you leave me speechless.............

I don't know what Patty thinks but I would say absolutely there will be a need.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/08 at 10:50 am

There will always be the need for books, how can you read online when there is a power cut?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/08 at 11:02 am

Absolutely!

Not everything will be digitized. Also, there are still  people that, through whatever reason, don't like audio books or get intimidated by the computer.

While sometimes, for research-sake, when you looking for a particular name (in geneology for example), but don't have time to read the whole book (which doesn't have an index...a searchable online text might be handy).  I would really prefer using the book in it's original format (glued or sewed together little bits of paper, rather then little bits of electronica.)  lol  Just my preference for what it's worth.

Just my opinion anyway, not that I'm really an expert of any such magnitude.

I love the atmosphere of libraries, the quietness and just being surrounded by tomes of ancient (or not so ancient as the case may be (as pertaining to the latest fiction bestseller)) of knowledge.  I like the services that librarians offer.  My local branch has gone all electronic in, the patron has to pull their own reserves off of the special "reserve" rack, then they have to self-check it out on the computer.  Alot less personal in my opinion and I HATE it. 

I loved my job so much, I found it a way to personally interact with people on a one-on-one basis that few professions offer in such a intimate way.  I know I'm not wording that correctly.  The things I learned just by helping someone look up a medical condition, or helping them find travel books to places I've never (or probably will never) been.  Sure you can do all of that online now too, but there is something to be said in the sharing of information, which you tend to lack the interpersonal relationship online at large.

I welcome other opinions of the subject (this doesn't HAVE to remain an ask me thread.)  I just like talking about libraries and books and such.  :P

Written By: midnite on 10/14/08 at 9:03 pm

Good information.  I was wondering because say in 10 years, when computer has alot more storage capacity and everyone has an smartphone (with Stanza or whatever), we will have all info at our fingertips.  I was just wondering.

Thanks!!!!

Written By: Davester on 11/01/08 at 2:59 pm

I'm in the habit of not opening hardcover books all the way (like laying them flat), but just enough to read them, for fear of damaging the spine.  Have done that since I was a kid.  Is that weird..?

My books are among my most valued posessions... 

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 11:19 pm

Did you start doing genealogy before there was an internet?

If so, did you find it frustrating when info became available online (because you'd spent so much time writing letters and waiting) or were you just happy to have more info available?

Do you ever see old homes in your city and want to find out who once parked their horses there?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/10 at 11:32 pm

I'm in the habit of not opening hardcover books all the way (like laying them flat), but just enough to read them, for fear of damaging the spine.  Have done that since I was a kid.  Is that weird..?

My books are among my most valued posessions... 

Nothing like not answering a question until two years later, eh?  ;D  Sorry, I missed this one. 

hmmm... I wouldn't call it weird.  Actually it's kind of cool (and shows that you respect the written word.)  Some people DO like to open the book fully and "crack the spine" so that it will lay flat, while it's not ideal, you gotta do what you gotta do.  Spines can be repaired (with glue or even sewn (in the more expensive and rare book store.)  It tends to be rather expensive and messy (especially if you use too much glue) but if the book is a favorite and/or hard to find, your options are limited.

My books (like my house, and really the rest of my life) has that "lived in look", certainly not pristine, but worn... used... enjoyed. 

I always say live and let live, so if it works for you, awesome!  :)

This answer was NOT sponsored by the American Library Association (whom would probably have a better answer.  lol)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/02/10 at 11:55 pm

Nothing like not answering a question until two years later, eh?   ;D 

I'll check back in 2012 for an answer to mine.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/02/10 at 11:58 pm

I'll check back in 2012 for an answer to mine.  ;D

Hopefully I'll answer before December 2012 before everybody thinks the world will end.  ;)  Awww...what the heck, I'll answer now.  ;D

Did you start doing genealogy before there was an internet?

I've been interested in it as long as I can remember, but really did my first tree (before internet in 1986.)

If so, did you find it frustrating when info became available online (because you'd spent so much time writing letters and waiting) or were you just happy to have more info available?

Funnily enough, most of the more popular gen search sites don't have many of my ancestors.  Not to say they don't have a tidbit, here or there (like a marriage date.)  But really, I've found more success within the "local" community online.  Luckily someone has scanned and indexed my great-great grandmother's death certificate from a county in West Virginia.  I've been to the corthouse and various libraries in that area, digging thru their records and/or census records (which I've ALWAYS  had trouble reading handwriting.)  I had missed the very information I was looking for.

Mainly I've used the internet to connect with "cousins" I like to call them (simply because the real ancestral connection is rather convoluted.  And they are spread out all over the world,  may never even get to meet them in person, but they have given me information and pictures that have proved very valuable, not to mention a friendly e-mail which I also cherish.)

Some people, I can understand would be very ticked off to see their hard work just published online.

Do you ever see old homes in your city and want to find out who once parked their horses there?

YES! I am very bad about this, I love reading history of various neigborhoods of my city.  I love old houses.  I love when people tell me stories (although with my hearing being so bad now, I actually prefer reading an e-mail to talking on the phone.)  I've even been tempted to go to the land records office and just search various properties that I've found interesting.  The one and only time I did that, I went to the county courthouse of the town where I grew up to search the history of my parents' home.  I could only get back to two owners and then couldn't find any more because records were so confusing to search.  Never tried again (although I should)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/03/10 at 12:04 am

YES! I am very bad about this, I love reading history of various neigborhoods of my city.  I love old houses.  I love when people tell me stories (although with my hearing being so bad now, I actually prefer reading an e-mail to talking on the phone.)  I've even been tempted to go to the land records office and just search various properties that I've found interesting.  The one and only time I did that, I went to the county courthouse of the town where I grew up to search the history of my parents' home.  I could only get back to two owners and then couldn't find any more because records were so confusing to search.  Never tried again (although I should)

I love doing this too... I've been to the land office only a couple times though... I've had more success finding names in the old city directories (in our city's main library) and then looking up the names on the census to find out their occupations, etc.  then in the old newspaper sites to find out more (and sometimes you are lucky enough to find photos of them or of the houses from back then)

The only thing really interesting that I've found at the land office, is that the people's signatures are on the documents, and it will often say that the land was purchased for 30 gold coins, or something like that.

It kind of makes me sad though, one area of our downtown was where the doctors and lawyers and store owners lived, many had their homes custom built... and now so many of them are turned into apartments and really run down, alot are being torn down too to make room for ugly modern office buildings. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...