inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Esox anything....

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/13/06 at 6:00 pm

What the hey..might as well join in....

Subject: Re: Ask Esox anything....

Written By: spaceace on 12/13/06 at 8:17 pm

Have you ever told a fishing tale?  (AKA a whopper) :)

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/13/06 at 8:22 pm

Have you ever told a fishing tale?  (AKA a whopper) :)

Me??  Tell a fish tale???

I have some stories, but can back them up, all EXCEPT for that one time though....

Written By: spaceace on 12/13/06 at 8:24 pm

Me??  Tell a fish tale???

I have some stories, but can back them up, all EXCEPT for that one time though....

It's the guppie one right?

How are things in upstate NY?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/14/06 at 12:27 am

are you married?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/14/06 at 1:15 am

Hi esox :)  My father-in-law was a Marine and says that at one point the Marine drill sergeants could pretty much do the R Lee Ermey thing in Full Metal Jacket, but now they can't.  Do you think that the newly "PC" Marine training makes for a stronger Marine, or the opposite, or has no effect?  Just wondering.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/14/06 at 5:50 am

It's the guppie one right?

How are things in upstate NY?

Things in upstate NY are great, except for the weather...it's warm here, highs in the low 50's the past couple days.

It should be snowing and icy by now...

Written By: karen on 12/14/06 at 5:57 am

What was it about the boards here that made you join?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/14/06 at 6:04 am

Hi esox :)  My father-in-law was a Marine and says that at one point the Marine drill sergeants could pretty much do the R Lee Ermey thing in Full Metal Jacket, but now they can't.  Do you think that the newly "PC" Marine training makes for a stronger Marine, or the opposite, or has no effect?  Just wondering.

I think it makes for a weaker recruit in the end, and takes away a lot of the mental toughness required and expected of a Marine.  Parris Island is supposed to be hell on earth, the Corps makes no bones about that.

The Army on the other hand, has reduced their toughness of boot camp considerably and it shows.  They make no bones about the fact that thay have made it easier, no more yelling Drill Sergeants, and the recruits get to carry cards with them they can show a DS if he's feeling stressed over the DS being in his face.

Retention and new recruits coming into the Army is dropping, in fact the Army is having a hard time making the recruiting goals and has actually failed a couple years to meet quota.  The Pat Tillman fiasco and many similar sistautions like that doesn't help the Army one bit.  I can't remember the website that listed the causes of death for our men and women in uniform overseas, but I was surprised at how many
"non combat deaths" the Army was having compared to other services.  Some of them are as simple as a humvee overturning and killing an occupant, but it's also the doublespeak they use for suicide.

The Marines have not had that problem even though we advertise the fact we're tough.  Most of Americas youth is smarter than ever.  The discipline is what brings them to the Corps and the pride associated with service with the Marines.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/14/06 at 6:07 am

What was it about the boards here that made you join?

I belong to two fishing websites, one hunting website and a woodworking/contractors site.

I found this site and I have a great passion for the music of the 70's and 80's.  Plus, this site seems to have a varied membership and a couple of the ones I belong to don't.

Written By: Howard on 12/14/06 at 2:30 pm

No, but I was once....

Currently I'm with a wonderful woman and we've been together for about 4 years or so...

4 years? That's wonderful,What kept you 2 together for so long? :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/14/06 at 3:24 pm

I have two questions: Whats you favorite type of cuisine?

and...

What was your MOS?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/14/06 at 3:43 pm

I have two questions: Whats you favorite type of cuisine?

and...

What was your MOS?

Any type of cuisine is my favorite cuisine.  I've cooked game feeds for upwards of 400 people, and they bring in the meat, fowl, fish, etc first thing in the morning and then I have all day to prepare it in a few dozen different manners and then prepare for service at 8 that evening.

I have a few recipes I've created, one of my signature dishes is an oyster and apple stuffed pork loin with a white wine and balsamic vinegar reduction.  I have my own variation of chicken cordon bleu, and don't use the traditional tarragon based sauce, I use fresh mustard seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle, with a few other seasonings, simmered in a double boiler in heavy cream and butter, then strained and finished.

The biggest catering job I've ever taken on single handedly is a 400 person 50th wedding anniversary.  I started the prep work 2 days ahead of the service and prepared 14 different appetizers and entrees.

My MOS in the service was varied.  I scored high on the ASVABS and essentially had the pick of what MOS I wanted, but restricted by the time frame in which I wanted to enlist.  So, I went open contract, got in when I wanted to, and was immediately after boot camp at Parris Island assigned to Marine Barracks Duty, London.  This was the top Marine Barracks to be assigned to, primary duties involved the Embassy in London, along with security for CINCUSNAVEUR.  Duty included NOT wearing uniforms, but our uniforms consisted of 3 piece suits and varied weapons, sort of like a Marine version of the Secret Service.

After that assignment, I was transferred to the Regimental S-2 at Camp Lejeune.  S-2 deals with intelligence and counter intelligence issues at the regimental level.  It was my job to study the enemy, understand his tactics and maneuvers and to be thoroughly knowledgeable of his weapons and weapons systems so I could train other Marines in their use under battle conditions.  One of my jobs was drawing up the OPLANS for various scenarios of combat operations in various theatres.

I've been trained in Intel and counter Intel
Jungle trained
Mountain trained
Desert trained
Artic trained
Trained in counter-terrorism tactics.

Worked on the Developmental team for the M16A3 Rifle, and basically was given the task of making this weapon fail under battle conditions.

I've been trained and instructed the STA (Surveillance and Target Acquisition) Team, this is a combination unit consisting of snipers and forward observers, trained in how to get in through the enemies defenses and eliminate persons and positions through both long distance marksmanship and calling in naval gunfire.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/14/06 at 4:03 pm

Any type of cuisine is my favorite cuisine.  I've cooked game feeds for upwards of 400 people, and they bring in the meat, fowl, fish, etc first thing in the morning and then I have all day to prepare it in a few dozen different manners and then prepare for service at 8 that evening.

I have a few recipes I've created, one of my signature dishes is an oyster and apple stuffed pork loin with a white wine and balsamic vinegar reduction.  I have my own variation of chicken cordon bleu, and don't use the traditional tarragon based sauce, I use fresh mustard seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle, with a few other seasonings, simmered in a double boiler in heavy cream and butter, then strained and finished.

The biggest catering job I've ever taken on single handedly is a 400 person 50th wedding anniversary.  I started the prep work 2 days ahead of the service and prepared 14 different appetizers and entrees.

My MOS in the service was varied.  I scored high on the ASVABS and essentially had the pick of what MOS I wanted, but restricted by the time frame in which I wanted to enlist.  So, I went open contract, got in when I wanted to, and was immediately after boot camp at Parris Island assigned to Marine Barracks Duty, London.  This was the top Marine Barracks to be assigned to, primary duties involved the Embassy in London, along with security for CINCUSNAVEUR.  Duty included NOT wearing uniforms, but our uniforms consisted of 3 piece suits and varied weapons, sort of like a Marine version of the Secret Service.

After that assignment, I was transferred to the Regimental S-2 at Camp Lejeune.  S-2 deals with intelligence and counter intelligence issues at the regimental level.  It was my job to study the enemy, understand his tactics and maneuvers and to be thoroughly knowledgeable of his weapons and weapons systems so I could train other Marines in their use under battle conditions.  One of my jobs was drawing up the OPLANS for various scenarios of combat operations in various theatres.

I've been trained in Intel and counter Intel
Jungle trained
Mountain trained
Desert trained
Artic trained
Trained in counter-terrorism tactics.

Worked on the Developmental team for the M16A3 Rifle, and basically was given the task of making this weapon fail under battle conditions.

I've been trained and instructed the STA (Surveillance and Target Acquisition) Team, this is a combination unit consisting of snipers and forward observers, trained in how to get in through the enemies defenses and eliminate persons and positions through both long distance marksmanship and calling in naval gunfire.

Those recipes sound really good. I'm an oyster lover.

Interesting stuff too abut your training. I bet you and my uncle could have an interesting discussion on that type of stuff. He was in the Army though but still. I know he did Ranger training and went through jump school. I'm not sure whether or not he did training for specific enviroments. I know he did whats called "sniper hunting" in Cambodia which was in the jungle...

Interesting story about this infact: One night he was doing a jump, in which he was supposed to land by an inlet in the Tonkin Gulf, about 20 yards out from the shoreline. It was at night and the moon was behind the clouds. Whenever you're landing in water you're supposed to undo all of your rigging about 30 yards above the water except for just one of your legs, that way the parachute goes out behind you when you land and you don't get tangled up in it. Well because it was so dark he misjudged the distance, and undid the rigging at about 70 yards above the water instead which is too far. Remember hes got a ruck sack(I think thats the term) on and its pretty damn heavy. He ended up doing about two and a half flips and landing on his back, HARD. It knocked his ruck sack completely off him, everything out of it(he lost all of his stuff) and GET THIS, he had on combat boots laced up to the KNEE, and it took one of them off! :D

Written By: Howard on 12/14/06 at 4:14 pm

How'd you get the name "esox"?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/14/06 at 5:56 pm

How'd you get the name "esox"?

From ice fishing.  Esox Lucius is the real name for northern pike, a common target up here through the ice and on the rod and reel.  I grew up on Chaumont Bay, which claims to be the worlds largest freshwater bay, but I haven't checked to confirm that statement.  It's a tributary of Lake Ontario.

For many years I've been lucky enough to fish these waters and consistently catch pike, even when the others can't, and my buddies gave me the name Esox Slayer.

IN addition to my contracting business, I'll be guiding ice fishing trips for pike and perch and walleyes (at night).  One of the local marina owners asked me to guide his clients and I accepted.  Not only will I be doing something I love, I'll be making money as well every day I'm out there...it's a pretty nice deal....

Written By: Red_Fin on 12/24/06 at 10:03 am

Esox-

How do you feel about bats?  Not baseball bats, but the ones that hang upside down in trees.  ;D

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/24/06 at 10:18 am

Esox-

How do you feel about bats?  Not baseball bats, but the ones that hang upside down in trees.  ;D

Guess I've never seen them hanging in trees, but I'm sure that someplace like the tropics those great big ones do....

I hate them personally...a few times in the past as I've been dropping trees (mostly dead elms), they've surprised me by being in between the bark thats loosening up from the trunk of the tree and then start flopping on the ground after the tree is felled.  I did manage to find one one year while I was bucking a maple tree that was topped from the big ice storm we had up here in 97 or 98....rats with wings they are....

Thanks for asking..

Written By: Howard on 12/24/06 at 1:44 pm

Do you have a favorite love song?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/24/06 at 2:02 pm

Do you have a favorite love song?

Too many to mention...Jon Secada has a couple favorites of mine, along with an old 70's band named Stonebolt, and a few others also.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 7:06 am

Are you into hardcore heavy death metal music?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 7:17 am

Are you into hardcore heavy death metal music?

Only when I'm at the gym lifting, and then the hardest stuff I listen to is music like "enter sandman".......

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 8:07 am

Only when I'm at the gym lifting, and then the hardest stuff I listen to is music like "enter sandman".......

Metallica?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 8:10 am

Metallica?

thats it....

Written By: KKay on 12/25/06 at 9:07 am

if you were one of the smilies, which one would you be?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 10:10 am

if you were one of the smilies, which one would you be?

are you referring to a "standard, run of the mill" smiley...or one of the smileys you might find that are more adult oriented???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 11:23 am

Metallica?

Well who else?

Written By: La Roche on 12/25/06 at 11:50 am

I should send you a CD of what I listen to when I'm working out. Real kickass heavy stuff, totally pumps you up.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 12:59 pm

I should send you a CD of what I listen to when I'm working out. Real kickass heavy stuff, totally pumps you up.

It's about the only time I listen to music like that...once I get into the gym I kinda get wound up listening to that type of music.

When I'm in a serious regimin of lifting, I spend 2 hours there daily doing weights and then always an hour to 1 1/2 hours on an elleptical trainer, great cardio workout....

Written By: La Roche on 12/25/06 at 1:19 pm

It's about the only time I listen to music like that...once I get into the gym I kinda get wound up listening to that type of music.

When I'm in a serious regimin of lifting, I spend 2 hours there daily doing weights and then always an hour to 1 1/2 hours on an elleptical trainer, great cardio workout....

I assume you work different muscle groups on different days?

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 1:24 pm

Could you send me some of your best "kickass" music you listen to?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 1:24 pm

You're into death metal?

Written By: La Roche on 12/25/06 at 1:25 pm

Probably. When I get back to New York if you come for lunch with me and Kay then I'll give you a CD then. You might enjoy it, fast, loud, real cool.

You're into death metal?

Howard is a Megadeth fan. :)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 1:27 pm

You're into death metal?

Before My brother passed away in 1995,he was into death music and I got a little bit into it myself.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 1:28 pm

Before My brother passed away in 1995,he was into death music and I got a little bit into it myself.

I'm sorry about your brother's passing.  If I may ask, how did he die?

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 1:28 pm

Probably. When I get back to New York if you come for lunch with me and Kay then I'll give you a CD then. You might enjoy it, fast, loud, real cool.

Howard is a Megadeth fan. :)

Maybe next year but I'll have to see with my Babies R Us job if I get it or not.I'll let you know then.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/06 at 1:29 pm

I'm sorry about your brother's passing.  If I may ask, how did he die?

Diabetic Coma lying in his bed,so peacefully. :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 1:30 pm

Howard, if you haven't heard from them or this "job coach" by now, you didn't get it.  It's almost January.  You should start looking for something else.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 1:43 pm

I assume you work different muscle groups on different days?

Yes..all the upper body stuff I split into a 3 day program...,,I leave my leg workout to the elliptical trainer....every day I work my abs though....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 1:47 pm

Yes..all the upper body stuff I split into a 3 day program...,,I leave my leg workout to the elliptical trainer....every day I work my abs though....

I must have missed this part...did you have a suggested workout program so that I can tone up and build strength?  I'm working out with my friend nowadays and we'd both like to get into some reasonable shape before we started tae kwon do :)

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 1:52 pm

I must have missed this part...did you have a suggested workout program so that I can tone up and build strength?  I'm working out with my friend nowadays and we'd both like to get into some reasonable shape before we started tae kwon do :)

I think I can write you up a nice little program for building tone and "endurance" strength for the upper body.  I don't go for mass as I'm pretty big as it is 6'4", 210 pounds,36 inch waist and a 54 inch chest) and really don't want to get anymore than good definition and tone.

Are you familiar with the various free weights/weight machines and definitions of muscle groups??  By that I mean if I mention something like a lat pull down you'll know what I mean??  Believe me, I'm not trying to put you down, but it will make it easier for me to lay out a program if I know what you are familiar with...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 1:56 pm

I think I can write you up a nice little program for building tone and "endurance" strength for the upper body.  I don't go for mass as I'm pretty big as it is 6'4", 210 pounds,36 inch waist and a 54 inch chest) and really don't want to get anymore than good definition and tone.

Are you familiar with the various free weights/weight machines and definitions of muscle groups??  By that I mean if I mention something like a lat pull down you'll know what I mean??  Believe me, I'm not trying to put you down, but it will make it easier for me to lay out a program if I know what you are familiar with...

Cool :)

I'm about 5'8" and 155 pounds.  I'd like to even out my body (I'm considered "slender") and bulk up a bit, maybe add 10-20 pounds of muscle.  My body fat is okay.

At the gym at the University of Chicago there are all kinds of free weights.  I used to work out with a friend who was actually a bit larger than you, and he really motivated me to try harder (even though he could bench like twice as much as I could at the time).  My friend at Chicago now is about the same size as me though so we're pretty evenly matched and I think that's fine as well.  I've done leg presses, calf lifts, the usual quad/hamstring extensions, curls, bench presses, squat lifts, but I've kind of skimped on the stomach crunches and back, as well as my shoulders (I assume I should do some deltoid and lat presses and shoulder lifts).  I also would like to work other parts of my leg so it looks sexier during Halloween (long story).

Does that work for you?  I am interested in building stamina as well so if you have an idea for a cardio workout I am down with that too.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 2:07 pm

Cool :)

I'm about 5'8" and 155 pounds.  I'd like to even out my body (I'm considered "slender") and bulk up a bit, maybe add 10-20 pounds of muscle.  My body fat is okay.

At the gym at the University of Chicago there are all kinds of free weights.  I used to work out with a friend who was actually a bit larger than you, and he really motivated me to try harder (even though he could bench like twice as much as I could at the time).  My friend at Chicago now is about the same size as me though so we're pretty evenly matched and I think that's fine as well.  I've done leg presses, calf lifts, the usual quad/hamstring extensions, curls, bench presses, squat lifts, but I've kind of skimped on the stomach crunches and back, as well as my shoulders (I assume I should do some deltoid and lat presses and shoulder lifts).  I also would like to work other parts of my leg so it looks sexier during Halloween (long story).

Does that work for you?  I am interested in building stamina as well so if you have an idea for a cardio workout I am down with that too.

I'll PM you a program I think you'll enjoy, and it should build both some stamina and increase mass.

What I can offer you on cardio is the elleptical trainer, I set mine at level 9 (10 is highest) and raise the platform to level 8, 10 being highest.  It's about like climbing(running) a 45 degree incline full tilt for an hour or hour and a half, and then I take a cool down period of 10 minutes per hour of cardio, I slowly drop the elevation until the last 2 minutes I'm walking on flat ground....

It'll do everything you need to do to your legs for endurance and definition, you won't need to do much leg weight work if you do this type of cardio daily....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 2:46 pm

I'll have to see if the gym has one of those machines, I'm pretty sure they do...is it one of those things that looks like the Nordic Track but cycles around instead of skis?  Or a combo treadmill/stairmaster?

You can tell I don't normally do cardio :D

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/25/06 at 2:58 pm

I'll have to see if the gym has one of those machines, I'm pretty sure they do...is it one of those things that looks like the Nordic Track but cycles around instead of skis?  Or a combo treadmill/stairmaster?

You can tell I don't normally do cardio :D

The one I use at the gym is looks like a nordic track and a stair master comnbined.  2 "platforms" to stand on rather than a belt, it jind of moves like a set of bicycle pedals would, the front of the machine the platforms are attached to, raises and lowers depending on the amount of resistance you want.

If you ask the person at the gym where the elliptical trainers are I'm sure he'll point them out to you.  For some reason I got tired of stair climbers rather quickly, but on one of these babies I don't seem to get bored....

Written By: Howard on 12/26/06 at 6:47 am

How much can you benchpress?

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 6:56 am

How much can you benchpress?

I'm a "lightweight" when it comes to the bench press..for some reason I've never been able to get the "push" needed to get the real massive amounts of weight up there, due in part mostly to the length of my arms.  I've noticed the guys that are taller with long arms have problems with higher weights that shorter guys can bench.  I'm good for 275 on the bench but many guys are a lot higher than that are of a smaller stature than I.

I can do countless reps at around 200 on the bench, thats one of the exercises I do to really get the burn going, max out at 200 pounds and just go until you can't go any further.

One thing that really helps staying in shape is when I'm cutting wood, tossing between 300-400 blocks of wood weighing anywhere from 30-50 pounds each daily.

Written By: witchain on 12/26/06 at 10:17 am

Esox- Do waterheads make good soccer balls?

Written By: KKay on 12/26/06 at 10:45 am

are you referring to a "standard, run of the mill" smiley...or one of the smileys you might find that are more adult oriented???

any one offered here..

Written By: La Roche on 12/26/06 at 10:46 am

I'm a "lightweight" when it comes to the bench press..for some reason I've never been able to get the "push" needed to get the real massive amounts of weight up there, due in part mostly to the length of my arms.  I've noticed the guys that are taller with long arms have problems with higher weights that shorter guys can bench.  I'm good for 275 on the bench but many guys are a lot higher than that are of a smaller stature than I.

I can do countless reps at around 200 on the bench, thats one of the exercises I do to really get the burn going, max out at 200 pounds and just go until you can't go any further.

One thing that really helps staying in shape is when I'm cutting wood, tossing between 300-400 blocks of wood weighing anywhere from 30-50 pounds each daily.

It's not how much you can lift. It's how many times and how explosive you are. I can't press 500 lbs or anything stupid like that and I never will. But I can lift, twist and pivot a 180lb steel and wooden walkway in about 3 seconds.  ;D

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 10:59 am

It's not how much you can lift. It's how many times and how explosive you are. I can't press 500 lbs or anything stupid like that and I never will. But I can lift, twist and pivot a 180lb steel and wooden walkway in about 3 seconds.  ;D

Exactly.....back in the old days when I was in the Marines, at Parris Island they broke you down physically before they started building you back up.  They wanted you to be able to force march 26 miles, dig a fighting position and still have the capabilities to fight.  Likewise with strength, it's better to be able to lift a couple hundred pounds on an indefinite basis rather than be able to lift 500 pounds once and be exhausted.....

Written By: La Roche on 12/26/06 at 11:01 am

Exactly.....back in the old days when I was in the Marines, at Parris Island they broke you down physically before they started building you back up.  They wanted you to be able to force march 26 miles, dig a fighting position and still have the capabilities to fight.  Likewise with strength, it's better to be able to lift a couple hundred pounds on an indefinite basis rather than be able to lift 500 pounds once and be exhausted.....

Right. For instance, toughest thing in my job is roof tiles. They may only weigh 15-20 lbs, but you gotta reach forward and pull em up from an awkward position, keep em supported with one hand and pull out the tile underneath. Now.. doing that a few times is nothing, but when you do it 400 times you think your arms are gonna fall off. Much better work out than lifting a few heavy ass sandbags a dozen times.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 11:04 am

any one offered here..

Guess I'd have to go with some of the "devilish" ones....it's tough to paint a picture of multi faceted people with one icon.....

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 11:08 am

Esox- Do waterheads make good soccer balls?

I've heard they're kind of squishy and don't really have the resistance like kicking a regular ball..a lot of energy is wasted by indenting your footprint into the "ball".  I may have to kick a few around though and make sure my assumption is correct, I've got a good pair pf waterproof boots in case I break through the soggy outer layer..................

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/26/06 at 2:05 pm

I think I'd like to get to that point.  I started doing reps until I dropped with about 90 pounds (I'm a weakling :P ) and it left me with a very satisfying burn :)

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 2:30 pm

I think I'd like to get to that point.  I started doing reps until I dropped with about 90 pounds (I'm a weakling :P ) and it left me with a very satisfying burn :)

Rice..it's not the amount of weight that you need to focus on, whether it's 200 pounds or 90 pounds, it's about backing off from your max and then repping out, once you get to the point where you can't do any more on your own, have a spotter help with a half dozen or so more and then on your final "push", the spotter should be doing almost all of it.  Don't drop the weight so far down you can do them for a half hour or anything, but find a weight thats about 75% of your max and then start pumping them out....

I shouldn't have said I can do "countless" reps, I should have said I don't count my final burn set, I usually go about 5 minutes at this weight and just keep a smooth steady pace, the last 3-4 are pure agony, but the burn is great and the results speak for themselves....

Written By: Howard on 12/26/06 at 4:13 pm

What would happen if you did more than you can benchpress? ???

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 4:20 pm

What would happen if you did more than you can benchpress? ???

Unless I had a good spotter, I'd have a nice bar indentation across my chest....

Written By: Howard on 12/26/06 at 5:48 pm

Unless I had a good spotter, I'd have a nice bar indentation across my chest....

Back In High School I could benchpress close to 100 pounds and this was in 1989 but now I can't anymore.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/26/06 at 5:52 pm

Back In High School I could benchpress close to 100 pounds and this was in 1989 but now I can't anymore.

Why can't you now???

Written By: La Roche on 12/26/06 at 8:38 pm

I'll bet you can bench more than 100 Howard, that's pretty light.

Written By: witchain on 12/27/06 at 1:59 am

Mr. Esox-
Do you have any pet peeves?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/27/06 at 2:16 am

Never be so sure. In high school I weighed 300 and could only bench 90. I was a short guy with short arms too.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/27/06 at 2:52 am

Rice..it's not the amount of weight that you need to focus on, whether it's 200 pounds or 90 pounds, it's about backing off from your max and then repping out, once you get to the point where you can't do any more on your own, have a spotter help with a half dozen or so more and then on your final "push", the spotter should be doing almost all of it.  Don't drop the weight so far down you can do them for a half hour or anything, but find a weight thats about 75% of your max and then start pumping them out....

I shouldn't have said I can do "countless" reps, I should have said I don't count my final burn set, I usually go about 5 minutes at this weight and just keep a smooth steady pace, the last 3-4 are pure agony, but the burn is great and the results speak for themselves....

That makes sense.  My max is around 135 or so.  I chose 90 because it wasn't too hard but after a few sets it started to burn.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/06 at 6:05 am

Why can't you now???

I don't have much energy like I used to anymore

Written By: Howard on 12/27/06 at 6:06 am

Yeah,I did back then and I tried 17 years ago.I can only use barbells now.

Written By: esoxslayer on 12/27/06 at 7:46 am

Mr. Esox-
Do you have any pet peeves?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I do.....

I have a hard time understanding (and tolerating) people who have control over many things in their lives and whine when things don't go their way.  I've seen it with some of my past employees, both when I worked for a company and since I've owned my own.  Example, they know that we start work at 0700 in the morning, yet there's always one guy on every job who can't show up on time and always blames it on some "factor" that he expects me to believe only happens to him.

I have a hard time tolerating fools.  By fools I don't refer to people who are ignorant of a situation, ignorance in my opinion is merely not being well versed on a subject, but is willing to listen and learn.  Fools are the type who have facts placed before them and refuse to acknowledge that they exist, choosing rather to take a staunch viewpoint and fail to remove their blinders.

Laziness, ineptitude, and a constant whining about how it's somebody elses fault for all of the problems a person has tops the list though.

Oh yeah, one last thing,,stopping by a convenience store to get a cup of coffee and having it "burnt" tasting rather than fresh....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/29/07 at 6:52 pm

Hey esox,

I was wondering what kind of stuff you would suggest for maintaining focus and discipline.  Just a thought, maybe you have some advice that I could use, thanks.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/07 at 7:11 pm

What do you do when it's like cloud to ground lightning? ???

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/29/07 at 7:12 pm

Hey esox,

I was wondering what kind of stuff you would suggest for maintaining focus and discipline.  Just a thought, maybe you have some advice that I could use, thanks.

Stuff??  As in supplements or as in mental exercises??

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/29/07 at 7:13 pm

What do you do when it's like cloud to ground lightning? ???

In my experience, getting inside is always the best bet, although I was supervising a job in Camden NY back in '01 and we were hanging iron in a bad thunderstorm....

Written By: Howard on 07/29/07 at 7:15 pm

In my experience, getting inside is always the best bet, although I was supervising a job in Camden NY back in '01 and we were hanging iron in a bad thunderstorm....

Were you hit?  :o

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/29/07 at 7:37 pm

Were you hit?  :o

nope.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/29/07 at 8:28 pm

Stuff??  As in supplements or as in mental exercises??

Both I guess :D :D

Nah, I don't take brain-roids :)

Written By: Satish on 07/29/07 at 9:19 pm

Being from upstate New York, what sports teams do you root for?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/29/07 at 9:36 pm

Are you married? Do you have any children?

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 4:45 am

Being from upstate New York, what sports teams do you root for?

Boston for Baseball.....I think the Yankees suck....

Dallas for football.......

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 4:50 am

Are you married? Do you have any children?

I will be married again soon.  I've been divorced for over 10 years now and have 3 daughters, ages 20,19 and almost 18.

My last (and that was the first marriage BTW) was too soon in our lives even though we were both in our late 20's....

Written By: Howard on 07/30/07 at 5:59 am

How does being divorced feel?

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 6:13 am

How does being divorced feel?

Howard....the best way to describe it is euphoria, with the exception of the 1800/month I was paying in child support for the past 10 years.  I'm not saying I shouldn't have paid it, but the system decided that the ex didn't need to work as long as she had a child under the age of 5 years, so she decided the best thing to do was get pregnant every 4 years or so..I only paid support for my 3 daughters but it was one constant battle after another because her deciding not to work was always overshadowed by her lack of her own income.

We got married too early, I was on a fast track with my career and she wasn't capable of anything more than staying in the same old routine.

Divorce feels great, but I am looking forward to marriage again.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/30/07 at 9:06 am

^ That sucks :(

So...how do you stay focused and disciplined?

Written By: Satish on 07/30/07 at 9:25 am

What about the NBA and NHL?

Bit odd that you'd be a Cowboys fan, considering all the NFL teams in the northeast in close proximity.

Written By: La Roche on 07/30/07 at 2:27 pm

... and just when I thought you were an Ok guy... tsk tsk tsk.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/30/07 at 3:35 pm

What do you do for a living? ???

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 5:10 pm

^ That sucks :(

So...how do you stay focused and disciplined?

The discipline of the Marines still remains strong, even after all these years.....

For focus, I read, a lot...fiction, autobiographies, etc.  I eat plenty of fish and a high protein diet because I believe fish truly is brain food.  Very seldom do I go to the store to buy fish, I manage to catch a lot of it during the winter months and then store it in air tight containers in the freezer, mainly pike and perch........

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 5:15 pm

What about the NBA and NHL?

Bit odd that you'd be a Cowboys fan, considering all the NFL teams in the northeast in close proximity.

Honestly..I could care less about the NBA...it's not about the Game today, it's about anything but the game.  These idiots whom are supposedly "pro" players..what a joke...nothing but hype, a bunch of "look at me, I'm important" attitudes, and an absolutely terrible role model for any kids out there today..........

I've been a Dallas fan since I was about 5 years old...and stuck with them through the good years and the bad.....

I'm an old Montreal Canadiens Fan from way back....

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/30/07 at 5:16 pm

What do you do for a living? ???

I'm a contractor Howard, specializing in renovations of Victorian style homes, although I do also do some new work as well.

Recently I started a 2nd business so I stay pretty busy.....

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/30/07 at 5:35 pm

The discipline of the Marines still remains strong, even after all these years.....

For focus, I read, a lot...fiction, autobiographies, etc.  I eat plenty of fish and a high protein diet because I believe fish truly is brain food.  Very seldom do I go to the store to buy fish, I manage to catch a lot of it during the winter months and then store it in air tight containers in the freezer, mainly pike and perch........

Ah.  In that case I guess I can focus by reading new scientific manuscripts like I'm supposed to.  Fishing around here isn't very practical for me but we get some previously frozen tilapia from Costco as well as tuna so I guess that'll have to do :)

Written By: Howard on 07/31/07 at 12:23 pm

I'm a contractor Howard, specializing in renovations of Victorian style homes, although I do also do some new work as well.

Recently I started a 2nd business so I stay pretty busy.....

Do you have time for friends and family?

Written By: esoxslayer on 07/31/07 at 2:49 pm

Do you have time for friends and family?

Yes I do Howard....there are times when the pressure is on at both businesses, but I can generally find time to spend with all members of my family, plus take the occasional week off and head south...I think we're going to go to Alaska next...

Written By: Howard on 08/01/07 at 6:25 am

Yes I do Howard....there are times when the pressure is on at both businesses, but I can generally find time to spend with all members of my family, plus take the occasional week off and head south...I think we're going to go to Alaska next...

Where In Alaska?

Written By: esoxslayer on 08/01/07 at 6:44 am

Where In Alaska?

To the coast..one of those cruises to see the glaciers shearing off huge chunks and falling into the ocean.....

Written By: Howard on 08/01/07 at 7:10 am

To the coast..one of those cruises to see the glaciers shearing off huge chunks and falling into the ocean.....

I know where you're talking about,I just can't think of it at the moment.

Check for new replies or respond here...