inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Looney Tunes & classic Disney animation (or any cartoon...)

Written By: woops on 12/29/06 at 3:11 am

Feel free to ask a question about Looney Tunes & classic Disney animation and also my opinions about certain characters & shorts/movies

Subject: Re: Ask me about Looney Tunes & classic Disney animation (or any cartoon...)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/09/07 at 6:20 pm

What is your favorite Looney Tune's character?

Subject: Re: Ask me about Looney Tunes & classic Disney animation (or any cartoon...)

Written By: spaceace on 01/09/07 at 6:31 pm

What is the name of the red monster with the tennis shoes in the Looney Tunes cartoons? :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/09/07 at 7:31 pm

Do you like those classic cartoons that have to do with futuristic stuff? Like, they would show appliances of tomorrow...stuff like that?

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/07 at 8:00 pm

Are you Looney Tunes? :D  LOL just kidding

What did you think of the 90s spin-off "Tiny Toon Adventures"?  I myself enjoyed it, with the exception of the Myra character.  She got so annoying, I wanted to bitch slap her ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/10/07 at 4:21 pm

What is your favorite Disney "classic" cartoon? I have many of them - including Silly Symphonies and the like..

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/07 at 3:52 pm

I've been collecting the Looney Tunes Golden Collection and Disney Treasures (the tins)...and the more I watch, the more I admire the craft of animation in addition to the inner child thrills.

Don't you hate those "PC" disclaimers they inject into many of these collections, with Whoopi Goldberg and Leonard Maltin? Annoying as hell.

Written By: woops on 01/11/07 at 4:22 pm

1. Though I like most of them, I would say Daffy.

2. The red monster's name is Gossamer.

3. I enjoy cartoons that feature futuristic stuff, though a bit laughable now since it's now 2007 like that "Smell o Vision" would replace television, which stated in "Old Grey Hare".

Car of Tomorrow", which hardly seen anymore, from MGM is one I remember.

4. "Tiny Toon Adventures" was one of my favorites as a kid in the 1990's. In retrospect, they stayed true to the classics and even have cameos of Bugs, Daffy, etc. (usually as teachers). I have two video tapes, one with music videos featuring 60's pop songs and two songs from They Might Be Giants and another where Plucky & Hampton falls to the center to the earth and meet gremlins (similar to the one from "Falling Hare")

5. As for Disney, I like many featuring Mickey,Donald, & Goofy and also Donald Duck.

Some Silly Symphonies and a few solo Mickey Mouse cartoons

"The Band Concert"
"On Ice"
"Thru The Mirror"
"Brave Little Tailor"
"Mickey's Trailer"
"Lonesome Ghosts"
"Moose Hunters"
"Donald Steps Out"
"Hockey Champion"
"Good Time For A Dime"
"Good Scouts"
"Der Fuehrer's Face"
"Fall Out, Fall In"
"The Vanishing Private"
"Donald's Crime"
"Donald's Double Trouble"
"Three For Breakfast"
"Donald's Dilemma"
"Out Of Scale"
"Two Chips & A Miss"
"Pluto's Judgement Day"
"Pantry Pirate"
"Goofy Gymnastics"
"How To Be A Sailor"
"Crazy With The Heat"
"Three Little Pigs"
"Tortoise and the Hare"
"Toby Tortoise Returns"
"Peculiar Penguins"
"Elmer Elephant"

6. The disclaimers are annoying, though most could be skipped by pressing the "menu" button.

Sometimes, the can't be skipped like the intros on the Disney Treasure discs. Especuially the "Vault" section.

Though fortunately Warner Bros. got rid  of Whoopi (only appeared on the third volume of "Looney Tunes Golden Collection"), but replaced her with a written disclaimer that only appears for a few seconds.

Atleast they don't have trailers of upcoming movies or DVDs in the beginning.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/11/07 at 5:04 pm

Small favors, yes... :)

The Disney  Rarities collection is fascinating...it includes a few very rare Alice comedies and other longer form cartoons in styles that you would not expect from the Disney company, where they would try stop-motion animation and very impressionistic styles of graphics.

Written By: spaceace on 01/11/07 at 6:19 pm

I've been waiting for an answer to that for years!!!  Thank you, thank you!!! :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/12/07 at 8:33 am

3. I enjoy cartoons that feature futuristic stuff, though a bit laughable now since it's now 2007 like that "Smell o Vision" would replace television, which stated in "Old Grey Hare".

And there was the House of Tomorrow, too. Both directed by Tex Avery...Avery's MGM films need to be presented in a DVD set!

4. "Tiny Toon Adventures" was one of my favorites as a kid in the 1990's. In retrospect, they stayed true to the classics and even have cameos of Bugs, Daffy, etc. (usually as teachers). I have two video tapes, one with music videos featuring 60's pop songs and two songs from They Might Be Giants and another where Plucky & Hampton falls to the center to the earth and meet gremlins (similar to the one from "Falling Hare")

Loved that show too. I think their video for "Istanbul Not Constantinople" was better than the official TMBG video! 8) Tiny Toons led to the even more incredible Animaniacs! Did you ever see the short-lived Hysteria from the same crew?

Written By: Step-chan on 01/12/07 at 2:20 pm

1. Though I like most of them, I would say Daffy.

2. The red monster's name is Gossamer.

5. As for Disney, I like many featuring Mickey,Donald, & Goofy and also Donald Duck.

Some Silly Symphonies and a few solo Mickey Mouse cartoons

"The Band Concert"
"On Ice"
"Thru The Mirror"
"Brave Little Tailor"
"Mickey's Trailer"
"Lonesome Ghosts"
"Moose Hunters"
"Donald Steps Out"
"Hockey Champion"
"Good Time For A Dime"
"Good Scouts"
"Der Fuehrer's Face"
"Fall Out, Fall In"
"The Vanishing Private"
"Donald's Crime"
"Donald's Double Trouble"
"Three For Breakfast"
"Donald's Dilemma"
"Out Of Scale"
"Two Chips & A Miss"
"Pluto's Judgement Day"
"Pantry Pirate"
"Goofy Gymnastics"
"How To Be A Sailor"
"Crazy With The Heat"
"Three Little Pigs"
"Tortoise and the Hare"
"Toby Tortoise Returns"
"Peculiar Penguins"
"Elmer Elephant"

6. The disclaimers are annoying, though most could be skipped by pressing the "menu" button.

Sometimes, the can't be skipped like the intros on the Disney Treasure discs. Especuially the "Vault" section.

Though fortunately Warner Bros. got rid  of Whoopi (only appeared on the third volume of "Looney Tunes Golden Collection"), but replaced her with a written disclaimer that only appears for a few seconds.

I wish Disney would have the trailers in the extra section only, because I hated having to skip repeatedly like that.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/12/07 at 4:21 pm

I wish Disney would have the trailers in the extra section only, because I hated having to skip repeatedly like that.

Disney, for all of its heritage, is the prime self-whoring media company of the world.

Think about it...That Disneyland TV show that Walt created was primarily an infomercial for the amusement parks and whatever movie project was coming down the pipe.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/07 at 6:50 am

Why did Sylvester and Daffy have speech impediments?

Written By: Howard on 01/13/07 at 6:54 am

Do you like those classic cartoons that have to do with futuristic stuff? Like, they would show appliances of tomorrow...stuff like that?

You mean like The Jetsons? ???

Written By: Step-chan on 01/13/07 at 11:49 am

Disney, for all of its heritage, is the prime self-whoring media company of the world.

Think about it...That Disneyland TV show that Walt created was primarily an infomercial for the amusement parks and whatever movie project was coming down the pipe.

Yep, I agree.

Written By: woops on 01/14/07 at 12:05 am

I don't think I've watched "Hysteria" since I stopped watching cartoons for some reason around 1996.  "Animaniacs" was also funny, though the Chicken Boo was something they should've done once. I remember an episode where they parodied "Beauty & The Beast" with Taz and how The Brain would try to take over the world.

Why did Sylvester and Daffy have speech impediments?

Because a duck and a cat lispsing is considered funny. Atleast Daffy's a bit clearer than Donald.  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/14/07 at 6:43 am

Why wasn't Foghorn Leghorn into young chicks instead he almost fell in love with this old chick,Why was that? ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/15/07 at 12:59 pm

Why wasn't Foghorn Leghorn into young chicks instead he almost fell in love with this old chick,Why was that? ;D

Miss Prissy, you notice, never could lay an egg...Maybe F.L. figured he didn't have to worry about protection. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/15/07 at 1:19 pm

Miss Prissy, you notice, never could lay an egg...Maybe F.L. figured he didn't have to worry about protection. ;)

Foghorn and Prissy having sex,I just can't even visualize that. :P

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/15/07 at 2:24 pm

Foghorn and Prissy having sex,I just can't even visualize that. :P

http://onefoggy.tripod.com/images/ll_prissy.jpg
"Yesssss!"

:)

Written By: mr crowly on 02/01/07 at 7:42 am

ok heres a challenge  what do you know about  the tellybugs` ( not many people remember that show ) so itll be intresting to  see youre reply  ;D 

did that  ferret thing that tried to have foghorn for dinner creep you out  it did for me

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/01/07 at 10:25 am

ok heres a challenge  what do you know about  the tellybugs` ( not many people remember that show ) so itll be intresting to  see youre reply  ;D   

No idea what you are referring to. This is a Disney/Looney Tunes thread, after all. ;)

Written By: mr crowly on 02/01/07 at 10:33 am

it  says in  brakets  any cartoon  i thought anything outside of loony tunes and disney

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/01/07 at 12:50 pm

it  says in  brakets  any cartoon  i thought anything outside of loony tunes and disney

Sorry.  :-[ Never mind my asinineness.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/07 at 2:02 pm

How did Warner brothers come up with a spanish speaking mouse? ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/01/07 at 2:11 pm

How did Warner brothers come up with a spanish speaking mouse? ;D

Off the top of my head, maybe it was a counterpoint to the racist stereotype of the slow Mexican-American worker. (Notice many of those cartoons feature slow-talking, slow-walking rodents). I've never been a big fan of the series myself, and not so sure Speedy Gonzales deserves an entire disc in the Golden Collection #4. ???

Written By: Howard on 02/01/07 at 2:12 pm

Off the top of my head, maybe it was a counterpoint to the racist stereotype of the slow Mexican-American worker. (Notice many of those cartoons feature slow-talking, slow-walking rodents). I've never been a big fan of the series myself, and not so sure Speedy Gonzales deserves an entire disc in the Golden Collection #4. ???

Why couldn't they just have an African American Mouse?  ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/01/07 at 2:58 pm

Gosh, i just realized it seems like *I* am the owner of this thread. Whatever happened to "woops" anyway?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/01/07 at 3:21 pm

Gosh, i just realized it seems like *I* am the owner of this thread. Whatever happened to "woops" anyway?  ???

Yeah,What happened to him?

Written By: mr crowly on 02/01/07 at 3:47 pm

howard its because walt disney was in america  therfor  whats the point in doing a steriotype on you re own country besides int hose days no one cared  about racest cartoons ( the birds from dumbo for example) i hope thats right ;)

Written By: woops on 02/01/07 at 5:00 pm

I've been busy other sites and have nearly forgotten about this thread

I like Speedy Gonzales, though the latter 60's  shouldn't be on there. Especially that one of the lame cartoons with Speedy & Daffy was included.
They might as well add the later 60's Road Runners on the second volume  ::)

As a hispanic, I don't find him offensive. Not to mention stereotypes were (still are in different forms) commonplace and not just hispanics, African Americans, Asians.

Like Pepe Le Pew is a French stereotype that smells and chases cats with stripes on their backs and Yosemite Sam & Foghorn Leghorn are southern stereotypes.

Not to mention celebrities like Clark Gable having big ears or Frank Sinatra being very thin.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/07 at 10:15 pm

Do cats really hate birds just like Sylvester and Tweety?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/02/07 at 3:00 am

You ever had a job where you worked with someone who, for some weird reason, you butted heads with constantly while you were at work (to the point to where you wanted to kill them), but once you got off work, you got along with them just fine (and even might have gone out and had a few beers with after you got off work)?

Kind of like these two:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/11/250px-Sam_and_Ralph_choke.png

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/02/07 at 7:59 am

You ever had a job where you worked with someone who, for some weird reason, you butted heads with constantly while you were at work (to the point to where you wanted to kill them), but once you got off work, you got along with them just fine (and even might have gone out and had a few beers with after you got off work)?

Kind of like these two:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/11/250px-Sam_and_Ralph_choke.png

Good call...another reminder why Friz Freleng said the Warner Bros. cartoons were never made for children. Great satire.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/07 at 2:04 pm

Why did Elmer Fudd talk so funny?

Written By: woops on 02/02/07 at 4:52 pm

Some cartoons often reflect, and exaggerate, society, politics and lifestyle during those time periods like the depression, WWII, and everyday life in general.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/03/07 at 12:59 am

Good call...another reminder why Friz Freleng said the Warner Bros. cartoons were never made for children. Great satire.
About 10 years ago I used to work on an assembly line at a Kawasaki plant in Lincoln, NE, and there was this guy, who, for some reason, totally rubbed me the wrong way while we were at work and we'd get to the point of yelling at each other, but once we got off work we got along great.
  In hindsight, it was probably me more than him, he was actually a pretty good guy and I was a lot more thin-skinned and let a lot more stuff get to me back then.

<------------Sort of like this guy.  ;)

Then one day I saw a Sam Sheepdog/Ralph Wolf cartoon and realized how much it reminded me of my situation at work, and I thought it was the funniest damned thing. Ever since then the Sam & Ralph shorts have been my favorite Warner Bros. cartoons.

(I've always wished I could've met some of the old guys from the Warner Bros. cartoon studios just so I could ask them which guys they worked with were the inspiration for Sam and Ralph.  ;D)

Written By: Howard on 02/03/07 at 6:48 am

How do you like Looney Tunes Unleashed? ???

Written By: woops on 02/03/07 at 4:11 pm

"Loonatics Unleashed"

It's cheesy, tries too hard to be funny, and the original Looney Tunes directors, animators, Mel Blanc, etc. are rolling in their graves.

I've seen a few episodes and noticed that the futuristic superhero version of Coyote & Road Runner are in the same team.  ::)

Pepe Le Pew is now a villian in human form (not making this up) and Elmer Fudd (some villian who turns people into stone)  looks more like the sheriff from the far worse "Squidbillies".

Written By: Howard on 02/04/07 at 12:25 pm

"Loonatics Unleashed"

It's cheesy, tries too hard to be funny, and the original Looney Tunes directors, animators, Mel Blanc, etc. are rolling in their graves.

I've seen a few episodes and noticed that the futuristic superhero version of Coyote & Road Runner are in the same team.  ::)

Pepe Le Pew is now a villian in human form (not making this up) and Elmer Fudd (some villian who turns people into stone)  looks more like the sheriff from the far worse "Squidbillies".

I saw a few episodes of Loonatics Unleashed and I didn't care for it,I prefer the original better.

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/05/07 at 8:04 am

"Loonatics", or whatever it is, is a travesty. >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/05/07 at 3:42 pm

"Loonatics", or whatever it is, is a travesty. >:(

Imagine what would Mel Blanc think?  :o

Written By: woops on 02/05/07 at 3:50 pm

He wouldn't like it and probably wouldn't take part of it if he was to be asked.

Much like June Foray  & Stan Freberg since their names aren't  (thankfully) on the IMDB credits.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/07 at 5:18 pm

He wouldn't like it and probably wouldn't take part of it if he was to be asked.

Much like June Foray  & Stan Freberg since their names aren't  (thankfully) on the IMDB credits.

Would he do the voices?

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/06/07 at 7:57 am

I would think Stan Freberg would have the integrity to say no. Besides, he's too old to do certain voices nowadays. Plus, he's got his own ventures that keep him busy (I know he hosts a syndicated old-time radio show).

Written By: Howard on 02/06/07 at 12:01 pm

Why was Goofy a human dog that could talk but Pluto was a dog that barked? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/06/07 at 2:56 pm

Why was Goofy a human dog that could talk but Pluto was a dog that barked? ???
No, Howard! You didn't!!! You asked THE QUESTION THAT MUST NEVER BE ASKED!  :o :o :o

If I were you, I'd be really careful about answering my door for a while, Howard. Asking that question is the one thing that really angers the Disney empire, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a couple of large men wearing black suits and sunglasses and Mickey Mouse ears show up at your house one of these days and zap your pee-pee with the laser beam that Walt Disney himself personally designed back in 1964 to punish those who dare question the relationship between Goofy and Pluto.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/07 at 10:02 pm

No, Howard! You didn't!!! You asked THE QUESTION THAT MUST NEVER BE ASKED!  :o :o :o

If I were you, I'd be really careful about answering my door for a while, Howard. Asking that question is the one thing that really angers the Disney empire, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a couple of large men wearing black suits and sunglasses and Mickey Mouse ears show up at your house one of these days and zap your pee-pee with the laser beam that Walt Disney himself personally designed back in 1964 to punish those who dare question the relationship between Goofy and Pluto.

Can't you let someone else answer that question?

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/07/07 at 11:41 am

I think that that is a question that just has no answer. ::)

You might also ask what kind of creature Gonzo is. Same difference.
http://www.wellige.com/ulli/images%2Fmuppets_gonzo.gif

Written By: Howard on 02/07/07 at 2:24 pm

I think that that is a question that just has no answer. ::)

You might also ask what kind of creature Gonzo is. Same difference.
http://www.wellige.com/ulli/images%2Fmuppets_gonzo.gif

Gonzo is a Bird,sort of?  ???

Written By: saver on 03/10/07 at 4:54 pm

In certain Looney Tunes episodes, they do a take off of  scenes where a 'narrator' finds funny situations based on a theme, like, 'here we see a wolf!' then the animal whistles at a girl, or this is a chicken and the bird might scream...

My question..why don't they list who the voice is of the narrator or anyone other than Mel Blanc..?
We know Mel didn't do the other announce voices!

Written By: woops on 03/11/07 at 7:14 pm

I think he was an actual announcer of newsreels.

They didn't list voice actors and Mel Blanc wasn't credited until 1944 though others like Arthur Q. Bryan and Stan Freberg weren't.  Though Freberg was credited in "The Three Little Bops" in the later 1950's.

I'm not sure what was the reason, but voice credits weren't listed in other cartoons from other studios like Fleischer to Disney.  Maybe because Mel Blanc did the majority of the Looney Tunes characters.

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/07 at 7:55 pm

What do you think about "Tiny Toon Adventures"?  It was a Steven Spielberg produced spin-off series to bring classic Looney Tunes characters and new characters together for a new generation to enjoy

Written By: Howard on 03/12/07 at 6:01 am

What do you think about "Tiny Toon Adventures"?  It was a Steven Spielberg produced spin-off series to bring classic Looney Tunes characters and new characters together for a new generation to enjoy

Is that still on television?

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/12/07 at 10:42 am

I think he was an actual announcer of newsreels.

They didn't list voice actors and Mel Blanc wasn't credited until 1944 though others like Arthur Q. Bryan and Stan Freberg weren't.  ...I'm not sure what was the reason, but voice credits weren't listed in other cartoons from other studios like Fleischer to Disney.  Maybe because Mel Blanc did the majority of the Looney Tunes characters.

He was the only one of the voice actors to contractually get on-screen credit. That's the only reason I can think of. Warner Bros. probably did it also just to brag, because they went out of their way to make sure Blanc stayed with them. He had worked with other cartoon studios before Warner bought him up (confirmed by Noel Blanc in a featurette on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 1).

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/12/07 at 10:44 am

Is that still on television?

I saw it rerunned on NickToons a couple years ago, but there's no new episodes. It doesn't have the same impact as Animaniacs did to inspire DVD release, even though Animaniacs certainly does owe a lot to TTA. It certainly wouldn't hurt to see TTA on DVD, too!

Written By: Howard on 03/12/07 at 3:51 pm

What's your favorite cartoon?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/12/07 at 5:39 pm

What looney tunes' character do you think you are the closest to in personality?

Written By: woops on 03/13/07 at 1:49 am

1. I watched "Tiny Toons" when I was a kid, though haven't seen it for a while besides two video tapes. One featuring 60's pop songs and They Might Be Giants ("Particle Man", "Istanbul") and one with Plucky & Hampton meeting Gremlins, similar to the Bugs Bunny "Falling Hare" cartoon, in the center of the Earth.

2. Favortie cartoon... too many to mention.

As of now, "South Park". Though it's past it's peak and I'm a bit suprised that it's been 10 years since it first aired.

As of Looney Tunes, too much to mention though the best would be from the 1940's to mid 1950's.

3. I would say that I'm part Porky Pig and a bit of 50's Daffy Duck

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/13/07 at 8:18 am

Ditto that Howard & Woops, too many to list as favorite.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/13/07 at 12:07 pm

1. I watched "Tiny Toons" when I was a kid, though haven't seen it for a while besides two video tapes. One featuring 60's pop songs and They Might Be Giants ("Particle Man", "Istanbul") and one with Plucky & Hampton meeting Gremlins, similar to the Bugs Bunny "Falling Hare" cartoon, in the center of the Earth.

2. Favortie cartoon... too many to mention.

As of now, "South Park". Though it's past it's peak and I'm a bit suprised that it's been 10 years since it first aired.

As of Looney Tunes, too much to mention though the best would be from the 1940's to mid 1950's.

3. I would say that I'm part Porky Pig and a bit of 50's Daffy Duck

I took a test that said I was Bugs Bunny, although I don't know how accurate it is.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/07 at 12:08 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/MagooAndDog.jpg

Mr.Magoo

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/13/07 at 2:22 pm

I took a test that said I was Bugs Bunny, although I don't know how accurate it is.

Can someone find that test (or a similar one)? I bet the results would be fun to share here!

Written By: Step-chan on 03/14/07 at 3:46 pm

Can someone find that test (or a similar one)? I bet the results would be fun to share here!

Someone linked on a thread in the Playful Penguin Place awhile back. I don't know how far doen the thread is now.

Written By: woops on 03/27/09 at 12:34 pm

>bump<

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...