inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me anything about Islam

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/30/06 at 7:34 pm

I've mentioned this in the Politics forum before, but a lot of people here still might not know I was a practicing Muslim for 2 years.

So that said, I started this thread to put my knowledge of the religion to use. Ask away!

Subject: Re: Ask me anything about Islam

Written By: Brian06 on 12/30/06 at 7:36 pm

What got you interested in Islam?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/30/06 at 10:59 pm

When I found out out that it was Abrahamic, meaning they worship the same God as Jews and Christians, and that they believe in Jesus Christ but as a prophet. I didn't realise there was a third religion in that group, I thought Islam was seperate. So it grabbed my curiosity, I wanted to find out what it was like.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/30/06 at 11:05 pm

Why aren't you still a Muslim?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/30/06 at 11:18 pm

Why aren't you still a Muslim?

I simply decided organised religion wasn't my cup of tea. And I came to where I couldn't get myself to believe in a monotheistic, omnipotent higher power.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/31/06 at 1:21 am

What's the Muslim take on Jesus?

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/31/06 at 1:44 am

Thanks for asking Al. ;)

First of all before I begin, I'd like to say that in Islam Jesus is called Isa, which is pronounced 'eee-sa'.

The biggest difference between the Islamic take on Jesus and the Christian one is that in Islam, Jesus is not divine. He is not the son of god. He is a mortal and just a prophet and messenger of God. However he is considered to be the most important prophet/messenger in Islam besides Muhammad himself. He was the last prophet to come before Muhammad, who was the last prophet(he is called "The Seal of the Prophets"). His main mission was to warn his people, the Israelites that they needed to obey God, and to foretell the coming of Muhammad and the Qur'an, the final word of God.

In Islam too, hes called the Messiah, "al Masih". In the Islamic belief he had companions, just as in the Christian ones. He ministered in Israel and was persecuted by the religious leadership and the Romans for it. In Islam like in Christianity he was born of a virgin mother, Maryam. In the Qur'anic account Maryam is not married to Joseph like in the Biblical one, she is engaged to him and the local people accuse her of adultery. She went on to give birth to him at the base of a date palm tree, in the summer time. In the Qur'anic account unlike the Biblical one, Jesus performed miracles as an infant. In the cradle he spoke to those who had accused Maryam of adultery.

According to the Qur'an Jesus was NOT crucified, but instead God made a Roman soldier appear as Jesus to those trying to execute him, so he was placed on the cross instead. Its not necessary for Jesus to die on the cross for your sins in Islam, because in Islam there is no original sin.  In the story of Adam and Eve, God forgives them for their transgression. Jesus simply goes into hiding, and later he ascended to heaven directly, still alive(not risen from the dead), like the prophet Elijah.

According to the Islamic belief he will return in the end times to help the Mahdi(a man who will be a descendant of Muhammad and will come forth to lead the Muslims against the Dajjal) defeat the Dajjal(the Islamic anti-christ). According to Islamic beliefs about the end times this defeat of the Dajjal will usher in a time of peace and an end to all wars. A new messianic age in which he(Jesus) rules the Earth for a period of time until his natural death, when hes succeeded by a son. Then over time the Earth slips back into chaos, violence and non-belief.

Whew. There ya go. ;D

Written By: Davester on 12/31/06 at 1:54 am

According to the Qur'an Jesus was NOT crucified, but instead God made a Roman soldier appear as Jesus to those trying to execute him, so he was placed on the cross instead.

That is interesting.  I didn't know about that.  Jesus had a stand in...

Bet that Roman soldier was pissed groove ;) on...

Written By: Howard on 12/31/06 at 7:07 am

What do you think about the death of Saddam Hussein? >:(

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/01/07 at 1:29 pm

What do you think about the death of Saddam Hussein? >:(

This doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/07 at 8:36 am

This doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

I thought this was about Islam? ???

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/02/07 at 9:11 pm

I thought this was about Islam? ???

What I think about Saddam's death doesn't have anything to do with Islam.

Written By: La Roche on 01/02/07 at 10:34 pm

But wasn't he a Muslim.. and didn't the execution take place on a Muslim holy day which is often reserved for the pardoning of criminal, not their execution?

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/07 at 12:09 am

But wasn't he a Muslim.. and didn't the execution take place on a Muslim holy day which is often reserved for the pardoning of criminal, not their execution?

Yeah thats true..but my opinion on the guy dying just doesn't directly pertain to the topic of Islam...

Written By: Howard on 01/03/07 at 4:28 pm

Ok then it's maybe too much of a "hot" topic to talk about.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/07 at 8:38 pm

I simply decided organised religion wasn't my cup of tea. And I came to where I couldn't get myself to believe in a monotheistic, omnipotent higher power.

Your head is still attached to your shoulders, so presumably your brand of the faith was of the elusive "mainstream" variety that nobody  ever talks about.  How'd your former co-religionists take the news? 

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/07 at 8:45 pm

Your head is still attached to your shoulders, so presumably your brand of the faith was of the elusive "mainstream" variety that nobody  ever talks about.  How'd your former co-religionists take the news? 

They never did. I decided I wasn't Muslim anymore during a summer trip, and so when I got back I just stopped going to the mosque. Noone ever called me or anything.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/03/07 at 9:26 pm

They never did. I decided I wasn't Muslim anymore during a summer trip, and so when I got back I just stopped going to the mosque. Noone ever called me or anything.

Well, in the interests of fairness, that's just like mainstream Christianity and Judaism! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...