inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oyez! Oyez! Ask Hawk About: The S.C.A.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/18/07 at 5:08 pm

This is the chance to ask me about an organization to which I 've belonged for 8 years.
There have been a few hints dropped about it, mainly by me.

It's The Society for Creative Anachronism, or S.C.A. for short.
It's much like Renaissance Faires, only waaaaaaaaay better!

Subject: Re: Oyez! Oyez! Ask Hawk About: The S.C.A.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/18/07 at 10:52 pm

so, what is the main purpose of your group?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/19/07 at 4:04 am

so, what is the main purpose of your group?

Well, the SCA is a Medieval Re-enactment organization.
The timespan covered is 600-1600 A.D.
Literally, 1000 years of cultures and lifestyles are covered.

Basically, the SCA re-enacts how people of various cultures lived during the covered timespan.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/07 at 9:10 am

Well, the SCA is a Medieval Re-enactment organization.
The timespan covered is 600-1600 A.D.
Literally, 1000 years of cultures and lifestyles are covered.

Basically, the SCA re-enacts how people of various cultures lived during the covered timespan.

oh that's cool! We have groups around here that do that. We have a big Renaissance Festival every year near us. It lasts a few weeks...and they dress in period costumes and reinact things. I can totally see you doing stuff like that...very cool Wayne! ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/19/07 at 4:17 pm

oh that's cool! We have groups around here that do that. We have a big Renaissance Festival every year near us. It lasts a few weeks...and they dress in period costumes and reinact things. I can totally see you doing stuff like that...very cool Wayne! ;)

Allow me to teach you the difference between "Ren-Faires" and the SCA:
At a Ren-Faire, you go & pay to see actors doing the crafts and having all the fun.
In the SCA, once you get onsite, you set up your camping area, you put on the costumes, and then YOU get to learn the crafts.
YOU get to have all the fun.

That, honestly, is worth more to me than seeing any actor.

I'd recommend the SCA to everyone!
There's something for everybody- literally!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/07 at 8:34 pm

Allow me to teach you the difference between "Ren-Faires" and the SCA:
At a Ren-Faire, you go & pay to see actors doing the crafts and having all the fun.
In the SCA, once you get onsite, you set up your camping area, you put on the costumes, and then YOU get to learn the crafts.
YOU get to have all the fun.

That, honestly, is worth more to me than seeing any actor.

I'd recommend the SCA to everyone!
There's something for everybody- literally!

oh that's cool. That reminds me of a girl that I used to be friends with back in high school. Her family was really into militia re-enactments. They would go for an entire weekend, dress the part and live the life...they would travel all over to do this. I always thought that would be interesting.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/23/07 at 3:19 am

It is VERY interesting, for anyone interested in Medieval history, studying different cultures, learning new skills, or just socializing for the weekend.

When I say there's something there for everyone, I mean just that.

Examples- There are knights, who gear up in armor, and knock hell out of each other, in lists and tournaments- some for the Kingdom, some for the Principality, some in Tournaments Of the Roses, where they fight for roses to give to the ladies.

For those interested in skills, there are Guilds for everything from Minting (coin-making), to Bardic Arts (singing/poetry/storytelling), to Weaving. There's the Brewer's Guild, which teaches you how to make your own libations- ales, wines, meads, you name it!

There are even games and activities for the children, or "smalls". These include Hunkerhauser events, Boffer Wars (which are similar to Knight's Tourneys, except the weapons are child-safe, and generally no armor worn), and Scavenger Hunts.

There are usually people who play "period" games, such as Chess, Mancala, and various card games.

In my neck of the woods, I have introduce "Cahturanga"- the earliest acknowledged form fo chess, from India. My household held Chess/Chaturanga tournaments during Ducal Prize, in Sept. This is an Event, where everything is for sale! It's a fundraising Event, in CA. You can bid on fighters, competitors in various events, and the Monster Auction From Hell!

It's very exhiliarating! In 1999, @ Ducal Prize, I bid on an autographed photo of Sean Connery form "1st Knight", complete with Certificate fo Authenticity. I got it for $300; it's now worth around $1,500.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/07 at 9:27 am

It is VERY interesting, for anyone interested in Medieval history, studying different cultures, learning new skills, or just socializing for the weekend.

When I say there's something there for everyone, I mean just that.

Examples- There are knights, who gear up in armor, and knock hell out of each other, in lists and tournaments- some for the Kingdom, some for the Principality, some in Tournaments Of the Roses, where they fight for roses to give to the ladies.

For those interested in skills, there are Guilds for everything from Minting (coin-making), to Bardic Arts (singing/poetry/storytelling), to Weaving. There's the Brewer's Guild, which teaches you how to make your own libations- ales, wines, meads, you name it!

There are even games and activities for the children, or "smalls". These include Hunkerhauser events, Boffer Wars (which are similar to Knight's Tourneys, except the weapons are child-safe, and generally no armor worn), and Scavenger Hunts.

There are usually people who play "period" games, such as Chess, Mancala, and various card games.

In my neck of the woods, I have introduce "Cahturanga"- the earliest acknowledged form fo chess, from India. My household held Chess/Chaturanga tournaments during Ducal Prize, in Sept. This is an Event, where everything is for sale! It's a fundraising Event, in CA. You can bid on fighters, competitors in various events, and the Monster Auction From Hell!

It's very exhiliarating! In 1999, @ Ducal Prize, I bid on an autographed photo of Sean Connery form "1st Knight", complete with Certificate fo Authenticity. I got it for $300; it's now worth around $1,500.

wow, that all sounds really cool....it reminds me of this festival that we go to every year around here....it's called Mountain Craft Days...and it all takes place in the woods....it's very rustic, and has many booths/people demonstrating stuff (candle/soap making, needlepoint, metal work, leathering, etc)....the people all dress and act the part....it's very unique.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/08/07 at 4:48 pm

Erin-

I got to thinking, while reviewing this thread:

You live in Pennsylvania.

Every year, In Slippery Rock, there is a 2-week Event that happens, called Pennsic.
This is an Event that is attended by literally thousands, from all over the world.

How far are you from Slippery Rock?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/08/07 at 11:00 pm

Do people generally make their own costumes in SCA?  Are guidelines very strict with authenticity or can you generally get away with a costume that looks sorta like it came from whatever time period you are trying to emulate.  I've bought some beautiful gowns on e-bay, but the Hubby is alot harder to dress for events, and I'm not really a "seamstress" (I was going to type "sew-er" but then it came out looking like "sewer" and I'm definately not one of those either.  :D

I think I remember reading once that one of the cardinal sins of going to an event in costume is that you are nearly bludgeoned to death should you have the audacity to wear "modern" shoes such as Tennis Shoes with your costume.  Is that true?

I went to a non S.C.A. event once (alright, it was a live-action role-playing Dungeons and Dragons weekend, I was curious) lol and I went in makeup and some of the "regulars" were making fun of me, because I apparently did not do my face paint as to the standard.  ::)  Hence why I never went back.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/08/07 at 11:29 pm

Erin-

I got to thinking, while reviewing this thread:

You live in Pennsylvania.

Every year, In Slippery Rock, there is a 2-week Event that happens, called Pennsic.
This is an Event that is attended by literally thousands, from all over the world.

How far are you from Slippery Rock?

I live about 2-3 hours from there....hmmm, I will have to look into it. ;)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/09/07 at 4:31 am

Patty-

First off- there is NO truth about bludgeoning to death of anyone who wears "modern" shoes.
While the Elder Peerage may encourage you into trying to find more "period" footwear, there are those of us (like me) who simply cannot do it.

Second- The guidelines concerning costumes, or "garb", are governed by three things:
-What culture is your persona from?
-What time era does your persona hail from?
-What is your persona's occupation?
If you are trying to go for authentic, there are many people who are willing to help you out.
While many people tailor their own garb for Events, you can buy garb, or get someone to make garb for you, if you have limited skills.

Example- My persona, "Lord Dirk Fleetwood", is a bard from 10th Century England. Being an amateur history buff, I tried to study what I could of those times. (I LOVE the Dark Ages!) Most of the time, I am garbed in a mottled gray tunic w/high collar, gray/green/purple breeches, my Doc Martens, and a faded black leather belt. Occasionally I will wear my cloak, and I have a new overcoat being designed for my return. (White, with purple trim & a purple frog on the back)

Obviously, not all cultures dress the same. Example- Vikings did not dress the same the Mongols did, or Pirates.

Now, you don't have to get too detailed until you decide to get more serious about it.
If you stick with the SCA, then I would advise you to seek out those people who are regarded as Peerage.
Peerage- People who have been around for a long time; usually 'titled' people.
Example- In my Kingdom (The West), one esteemed Peer is Duke Fredrick of Holland.
He's been around about 40 yrs. or so. Royals will also fit this requirement, as do Knights and Guild Leaders.

So, I hope I have allayed your fears and concerns.

Erin- Yes, methinks thou should don thy satin gown, and cinch thy bodice. Thou and thy lord should but sally over to Pennsic, which occurs in the fair month of August.

Anyone who wishes more details, PM me, or simply ask!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/10/07 at 7:01 am

Did you watch the BBC special where they had people living as they would have in the Iron Age?  If you did, what did you think of it?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/10/07 at 8:21 pm

No- unfortunately, that didn't air in America.

That was filmed in the Kingdom of Drachenwald, I believe. (Drachenwald covers Europe)

There are currently 18 Kingdoms, in the known world.

-That being said, the SCA has been recruited for many documentaries & films that cover the specified time periods.
More famed films include "Excalibur" and "Monty Python's Search For the Holy Grail".

If you are curious to find out more in your area, you want to go to www.sca.org.
Go to the "Find Your Local Area" option, and enter your info.
You will be told a Kingdom, Principality, and possibly a Barony.
(Cantons & Shires are smaller, and usually not listed.)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/10/07 at 9:36 pm

It's The Society for Creative Anachronism, or S.C.A. for short.

I always thought it stood for The Society Of Creative Anarchy.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/07 at 7:26 am

Or Stone Cold Association? ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 03/11/07 at 8:04 am

No- unfortunately, that didn't air in America.

Yes it did, I saw it.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/12/07 at 8:39 pm

You mean the Society for Creative Anarchism? That's the "other" SCA. I used to be member of that one, too!

Or Stone Cold Association? ;D

Dang, Howard! You really thought this out!

Yes it did, I saw it.

Hmmmm. Not in my area. I usually know about these things.
Was it any good?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/12/07 at 9:03 pm

How do you go about developing a character?  How do you even know where to start?

Written By: Davester on 03/13/07 at 12:43 am

I know some ARMA members who used to be in the SCA, but I'm not aware of anyone who is active in both groups.  ARMA seems like a better ruleset..

When I checked out the local SCA, the judging of hits was rather subjective.  I also don't care for the injury system they use to represent being hit in the leg or arm or whatever.  They definately train hard and are very good at what they do within the context of their game, but the rule set and role playing aspects make it rather lame IMO.  But yes, at least they actually hit each other, which is more than some folks, who claim to be doing historical European martial arts, can claim...

That said, the rules technically allow you to hit quite hard and I've been told there are SCA groups that take it pretty serious...

I was a member of a local Roman living history society and one in San Diego, which I'm no longer associated with.  The drives were killing me.  There's a sort of friendly rivalry between the San Diego Roman SCA and Legion IX Hispana, a large and thriving Roman re-enactment group...

"The Face of Battle" by John Keegan is an inspiring read, and caused me to check out the SCA...

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/13/07 at 4:20 am

How do you go about developing a character?  How do you even know where to start?

Creating a persona is rather easy, once you know where to begin.
Most people base their personas on the cultures which fascinate them most.
Examples- For the past 10 yrs., Celtic personages have popped up like crazy!

-Other popular culture surges include the Mongols (there was a Horde, at one time), the Norse Vikings, and the Magyars.

First: Pick a culture that you like to study, read about, or from a country you'd like to visit.
Next: Talk to people who know about that culture. They can help you to decide on an occupation, the time period you want the persona to "live in", and so on. Even an accurate name. Peerage and College Heralds are good for this.
Last: When at Events, try to learn about those factors, and apply them to your camping experience as best you can.

My persona- Lord Dirk Fleetwood, is a 10th Century English bard. (This is natural for me, as I sing, and like to write poetry) I learned more about the styles of music and verse used back then, as well as instruments used during those times, and I had appropriate garb made. As a result, I am regarded in the Kingdom of the West as a semi-renowned bard. Last yr., I held the Office of "Bard Of Cynagua", and was personal bard to the Prince/Princess of Cynagua, which is a Principality within the West Kingdom.

Davester- Unfortunately, I am not as informed about the fighter rules & regulations. However, I do know that there are fairly strict rules about armor, the fighting, and so on. I also understand that the rules vary a bit, form Kingdom to Kingdom. That being said, I have witnessed some hellacious fights, and a decent War.
Pretty wicked stuff! (Naturally, they need bards to record the triumphs & tragedies of the War!)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/13/07 at 4:32 pm

Hmmmm. Not in my area. I usually know about these things.
Was it any good?

Yeah, I like those shows were they take people who think they would like to live in the past and give them there chance.  In this case it was a real rough existence, but there was one guy who was quite odd and did quite well.

www.castellhenllys.com/english/bbc_surviving.htm

www.castellhenllys.com/index.htm

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/14/07 at 1:43 am

Yeah, I like those shows were they take people who think they would like to live in the past and give them there chance.  In this case it was a real rough existence, but there was one guy who was quite odd and did quite well.

www.castellhenllys.com/english/bbc_surviving.htm
www.castellhenllys.com/index.htm

Fascinating!
Does one have to British to do the show?

That seems quite interesting!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/14/07 at 4:33 pm

Fascinating!
Does one have to British to do the show?

That seems quite interesting!

It was a special thing they did.  They have also done 1900 House, 1940 House, over here they have done Texas Ranch House, Colonial House, Frontier House.  All very interesting, taking a group of people and having them live for a couple of months as they would have if they had lived at that time.  They are eye openers for all those who wax philosophic about the "good old days".

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/14/07 at 5:33 pm

It was a special thing they did.  They have also done 1900 House, 1940 House, over here they have done Texas Ranch House, Colonial House, Frontier House.  All very interesting, taking a group of people and having them live for a couple of months as they would have if they had lived at that time.  They are eye openers for all those who wax philosophic about the "good old days".

I think Oprah Winfrey and her friend, Gayle King, did Colonial House or something cause I vaguely remember hearing them talk about it on her show about how HARD that was.  Well no duh!  Oprah goes from multi-million dollar mansion to being a servant,  that probably would be a tad hard.  lol

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/07 at 5:39 pm

I saw Colonial House and neither of them were on it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/14/07 at 5:41 pm

I saw Colonial House and neither of them were on it.

Oh sorry, I was mistaken, they just "visited" the set and apparently that was bad enough.  ;D

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/arkienpa/morecowbell.jpg

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/14/07 at 10:30 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Johnny D showed up on a show like that.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/14/07 at 11:17 pm

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Johnny D showed up on a show like that.

Very true, he certainally could "LOOK" the part very easily anyways.  :)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/15/07 at 3:34 am

Yet another thing about the SCA I like, is that you have so many cultures to choose from!

If there was a recorded history of a culture between 600 AD- 1600 AD, it's eligible in the SCA!

I have actually thought of changing from an English bard to an Incan or Aztec!
(As there are none of these currently in the SCA, to my knowledge, that could be the start of something!)

Written By: Davester on 03/20/07 at 11:12 pm

Davester- Unfortunately, I am not as informed about the fighter rules & regulations. However, I do know that there are fairly strict rules about armor, the fighting, and so on. I also understand that the rules vary a bit, form Kingdom to Kingdom. That being said, I have witnessed some hellacious fights, and a decent War.
Pretty wicked stuff! (Naturally, they need bards to record the triumphs & tragedies of the War!)

This decent war wouldn't be Pennsic, would it..?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/postcard2.jpg

I think these gatherings have their practical purposes.  Some call it "experimental archaeology".  If only we could find a way to stab and slash each other, harmlessly, we could get inside the heads of those ancient warriors...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/20/07 at 11:46 pm

I just realized I put the wrong link to the Oprah visits the Colonial House article.  I apologize.

Here is the correct link if you want to read it.

http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/200406/omag_200406_house.jhtml

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/21/07 at 3:15 am

This decent war wouldn't be Pennsic, would it..?

I think these gatherings have their practical purposes.  Some call it "experimental archaeology".  If only we could find a way to stab and slash each other, harmlessly, we could get inside the heads of those ancient warriors...

It is, indeed!

Of course, Pennsic isn't the only one.
There's also one, out here on the West Coast, held in the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
(Unfortunately, the name fails me....it may be The Great Western War.)

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/26/07 at 5:17 am

Official Monty Python caption: "Get On With It!!!!!"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/07 at 1:14 pm

hmmm...this question isn't exactly about SCA, so maybe I should put it in your other ask me thread

Have you always liked to act?

What if you aren't a good "role-player", any tips on getting into character, especially if you aren't familiar with the time period that is being "played"?

How do these events present themselve?  Like, ok, so say I'm there in costume, do I just wander around speaking to random people?  Or do I learn a "craft" like... blacksmithing (for example) and I set up shop doing that and wait to interact with other "characters"?

Do I ask too many questions?  I find it fascinating (I've always love costumes, I think that is why I used to love Halloween so much, the chance to be someone other then my boring self.) 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/26/07 at 3:37 pm

hmmm...this question isn't exactly about SCA, so maybe I should put it in your other ask me thread

Have you always liked to act?

What if you aren't a good "role-player", any tips on getting into character, especially if you aren't familiar with the time period that is being "played"?

How do these events present themselve?  Like, ok, so say I'm there in costume, do I just wander around speaking to random people?  Or do I learn a "craft" like... blacksmithing (for example) and I set up shop doing that and wait to interact with other "characters"?

Do I ask too many questions?  I find it fascinating (I've always love costumes, I think that is why I used to love Halloween so much, the chance to be someone other then my boring self.) 

You ask several good questions!

First- I have always had an affinity for acting, and role-playing. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I played by myself so often, as a child. Or maybe it's just because it's part of me.

Second- When it comes to "authenticating" your character, the only time you really have to worry about it is if you are attempting to win a specific award, for being "authentic". Most people I know in the SCA aren't obviously going out, hunting deer or sheep, and skinning/tanning it themselves.
When it comes to character, I would say try to study the "Period" you are representing. Clothing and culture are really what counts.
Example- don't use a name like "Hepzibah" if you are portraying a Norse woman.
If you are a Scottish persona, don't dress in a turban and oba.

The biggest thing is to just be yourself, in a "perioid' manner.
You don't have to wait until you learn a craft/skill, to socialize, or approach people.
In fact, approaching people is the best way to learn what to do.
There are some who will direct you in manner, dress, proper etiquette, where to go to learn crafts, where the good parties are, etc. There is someone there, for every situation.

Finally- I like to answer questions, as long as they're questions I deem worth answering.
The questions you pose are learning questions, and learning is always good.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/29/07 at 2:46 am

Hopefully, I will get the chance more of the "gentles'" questions, ere I have to dip into actual SCA stories.

-Although, I have quite a few doozies.....

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/07 at 9:36 am

Whilst in character, do people tend to speak in language of the period mostly or do they speak in current vonacular with a few "key phrases" thrown in for flavor (or does it vary?)

Has there been any good books or movies done about roleplaying in these events?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 03/29/07 at 10:03 am

Whilst in character, do people tend to speak in language of the period mostly or do they speak in current vonacular with a few "key phrases" thrown in for flavor (or does it vary?)

Has there been any good books or movies done about roleplaying in these events?

It varies on the individual.
I tend to speak more accurately, myself.

As far as books/films done about role-playing- I don't think so.
My advice is to study, using your favorite books & films of the period, for reference.

I have films & books to recommend, in your studies.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/13/07 at 4:37 am

Hawk's Recommended Reading For Period Life:

-The Canterbury Tales: Chaucer
-The Three Musketeers: Dumas
-The Mabinogion
-The Kalevala
-The Prince: Machiavelli
-anything written by Shakespeare
-The "Brother Cadfael Chronicles", by the late Ellis Peters

Hawk's Suggested Films For Study:

-Excalibur
-Robin Of Sherwood
-The Vikings
-The Conqueror (Covers life & times of Genghis Khan; period person)
-Hunchback (the version w/Anthony Hopkins- IMO, the best representation)

Check for new replies or respond here...