inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Not Ask Henk?

Written By: Henk on 02/21/07 at 1:56 pm

If there's anything you'd like to know....this is the place to ask for it. :)

Subject: Re: There For The Asking...[or: Ask Me About Me]

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/21/07 at 1:57 pm

What is your favorite Depeche Mode album?

Song?

Written By: Henk on 02/21/07 at 2:48 pm

What is your favorite Depeche Mode album?

Song?

Favorite album: Music For The Masses. I think it's the most coherent and consistent album they've ever made. The irony of it all is that this is the album I always recommend as a first introduction to Depeche Mode, while the title was actually meant to be ironical.

Favorite song: that's a toughie... Sometimes I think it's Walking In My Shoes, other times I feel more like I Feel You, or Precious (you know it's about Dave's children, don't you?), or even Fly On The Windscreen...so quite a lot.

On the other hand...there's few songs that I don't like, like Sister Of Night or Goodnight Lovers.

Written By: Paul on 02/21/07 at 3:44 pm

Hello Henk...

Got a bit of spare cash?

Then for a guy like you...here's how to spend it! ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/21/07 at 3:56 pm

What do you do for a living? ???

Written By: Henk on 02/21/07 at 3:59 pm

Hello Henk...

Got a bit of spare cash?

Then for a guy like you...here's how to spend it! ;)

Ooh! I want one! I want one! :D Is it available yet? ???

Wait...I bet you need a credit card for that, and I don't have one. Dang. :(

Written By: Henk on 02/21/07 at 4:13 pm

What do you do for a living? ???

I work at an accountancy firm, checking all outgoing mail (letters, annual reports, emails, faxes) to see if there are any corrections needed. Now the annual reports have been checked by at least two other people before me, but I still find mistakes/errors.
The corrections can be both grammatical and arithmetical.
I've been doing this work for the past 7 years now and it doesn't get boring (well, not to me anyway).

Written By: Paul on 02/21/07 at 4:50 pm

Well, our American friends got it first (as always!), but a band with a stature as DM (as well as a rabid fan base!), it'll probably be available for European territories pretty soon...

It may be the only chance to get those rarities...pretty tempting to get a card even if it's just for that one purchase!

Written By: Howard on 02/21/07 at 5:09 pm

I work at an accountancy firm, checking all outgoing mail (letters, annual reports, emails, faxes) to see if there are any corrections needed. Now the annual reports have been checked by at least two other people before me, but I still find mistakes/errors.
The corrections can be both grammatical and arithmetical.
I've been doing this work for the past 7 years now and it doesn't get boring (well, not to me anyway).

How much do you get paid?

Written By: Dominic L. on 02/21/07 at 6:10 pm

Go to the bank and get one!

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/21/07 at 10:52 pm

Well, our American friends got it first (as always!), but a band with a stature as DM (as well as a rabid fan base!), it'll probably be available for European territories pretty soon...

It may be the only chance to get those rarities...pretty tempting to get a card even if it's just for that one purchase!

I just checked iTunes (I hadn't heard about this) and there it is! Wow! I, too, lack a credit card, but it's pretty damn tempting, although I'd really prefer a physical copy to a digital one. If only...

I was going to type up the new material available, but the track lists are up at Spanish Wikipedia, so I'll link there if you're interested: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Depeche_Mode

... and back to the subject at hand, a question for you, good Mr. Henk: We know you've got an ace knowledge of music and that you spend some of your time here on this board - do you have any other things you especially enjoy?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/21/07 at 10:57 pm

what's your favorite movie?

Written By: Henk on 02/21/07 at 11:58 pm

How much do you get paid?

I could simply say: Enough, but that would be clincher. So instead I'm gonna be honest about it. I work 40 hours a week and my gross salary is € 2,180 per month; that would be about $ 2,860 at the current rate.(FYI: in The Netherlands, this is considered average) But in case you were interested, my job's already taken. ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 12:08 am

I just checked iTunes (I hadn't heard about this) and there it is! Wow! I, too, lack a credit card, but it's pretty damn tempting, although I'd really prefer a physical copy to a digital one. If only...

I was going to type up the new material available, but the track lists are up at Spanish Wikipedia, so I'll link there if you're interested: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complete_Depeche_Mode

Thanks! :) I'll check out the link later.

... and back to the subject at hand, a question for you, good Mr. Henk: We know you've got an ace knowledge of music and that you spend some of your time here on this board - do you have any other things you especially enjoy?

Well, I enjoy singing (in a Christians Men Choir). We practise once a week, and we sing in services about 5 times a year. Apart from that, we usually give one annual performance in fall and we also sing in old people's homes twice a year.

I have some other hobbies on the side, but I don't really have the time for those right now.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 12:13 am

what's your favorite movie?

I can't think of one right now. I don't watch a lot of movies (can't remember the last time I was in cinema...). I do remember seeing The Sixth Sense and enjoying it - escpecially the ending. It certainly caught me by surprise. Don't ask me any details though...

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 12:17 am

Go to the bank and get one!

Whatfor? For this sole purpose? I don't think so!  :P I don't like the idea of being in debt, not even to a limited amount.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 6:13 am

I could simply say: Enough, but that would be clincher. So instead I'm gonna be honest about it. I work 40 hours a week and my gross salary is € 2,180 per month; that would be about $ 2,860 at the current rate.(FYI: in The Netherlands, this is considered average) But in case you were interested, my job's already taken. ;)

How much is your "take home" pay?

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 10:42 am

How much is your "take home" pay?

About € 1,625 , or $ 2,135, per month.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/22/07 at 10:43 am

Have you been to the US before? If so, what is your favorite part?

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 11:04 am

About € 1,625 , or $ 2,135, per month.

Wow,I'd sure love to have THAT amount. :o

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 11:30 am

Have you been to the US before? If so, what is your favorite part?

No, I haven't. In fact, I've hardly been anywhere but The Netherlands (a few trips to our neighbouring countries Belgium and Germany, and Luxembourg).
It's not that I don't want to, though...it's just...complicated and unfamiliar - and I like things to be uncomplicated and familiar, ya know. :-\\

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/22/07 at 11:31 am

No, I haven't. In fact, I've hardly been anywhere but The Netherlands (a few trips to our neighbouring countries Belgium and Germany, and Luxembourg).
It's not that I don't want to, though...it's just...complicated and unfamiliar - and I like things to be uncomplicated and familiar, ya know. :-\\

I understand...I'm kind of the same way. :)

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 11:47 am

Wow,I'd sure love to have THAT amount. :o

I was very lucky to find this job, Howard. Plus I think I'm grossly overpaid. ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/07 at 11:57 am

Favorite album: Music For The Masses. I think it's the most coherent and consistent album they've ever made. The irony of it all is that this is the album I always recommend as a first introduction to Depeche Mode, while the title was actually meant to be ironical.

Mine too!  It's just perfect.

For songs, I'd have to say "In Your Room." 

Have you ever seen them in concert?

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 11:59 am

I understand...I'm kind of the same way. :)

If somebody else would take care of all the arrangements...I'd be on the next plane. I just wouldn't know where to start.

I'd need some company though, or else I'd be totally lost once I got to the U.S... I have a very poor EQ.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 12:06 pm

Mine too!  It's just perfect.

For songs, I'd have to say "In Your Room." 

Well, not in my Top 10...but your wish is my command. ;)

Have you ever seen them in concert?

Unfortunately not. DM hardly ever visit The Netherlands anymore (due to lack of recognition/fans). I was gonna go to a concert in 1990, I think... but my colleague (also a DM fan) cancelled the appointment we had, and I didn't want to go alone (see also previous posts).

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 12:13 pm

I was very lucky to find this job, Howard. Plus I think I'm grossly overpaid. ;)

Why is that? ??? ???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/22/07 at 2:24 pm

Well, not in my Top 10...but your wish is my command. ;)

:D

I haven't seen them in concert either, btw.  I'm not much of a concert goer.

If somebody else would take care of all the arrangements...I'd be on the next plane. I just wouldn't know where to start.

I'd need some company though, or else I'd be totally lost once I got to the U.S... I have a very poor EQ.

*Raises hand.* 

You'd have no problem finding hosts/company here - I'm sure we'd all love to show you around our various areas.  :)

What does EQ mean?

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 3:14 pm

Why is that? ??? ???

I wasn't being serious, Howard. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/07 at 3:32 pm

*Raises hand.* 

You'd have no problem finding hosts/company here - I'm sure we'd all love to show you around our various areas.   :)

Now when's the next flight to Utah... ::)

What does EQ mean?

From wikipedia:

"Emotional Intelligence, also called EI and often measured as an Emotional Intelligence Quotient or EQ, describes an ability, capacity, or skill to perceive, assess, and manage the emotions of one's self, of others, and of groups."

In other words: I'm not the socializing type. Therefore I don't have any "real life" friends.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/07 at 5:21 pm

I wasn't being serious, Howard. Sorry if you misunderstood.

How do you budget your pay?

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 12:24 am

How do you budget your pay?

I don't. I hate budgeting. :P

Fortunately, I don't need to budget 'cause I'm not much of a spender, and I make more than enough money to pay the monthly bills.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/07 at 6:13 am

I don't. I hate budgeting. :P

Fortunately, I don't need to budget 'cause I'm not much of a spender, and I make more than enough money to pay the monthly bills.

Your bills must be pretty high?

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 1:19 pm

Your bills must be pretty high?

I don't know what you consider "high"... :-\\ But like I said, I've no problems paying them.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/07 at 2:23 pm

I don't know what you consider "high"... :-\\ But like I said, I've no problems paying them.

What bills do you have to pay in order to maintain your household?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/23/07 at 3:26 pm

Now when's the next flight to Utah... ::)

From wikipedia:

"Emotional Intelligence, also called EI and often measured as an Emotional Intelligence Quotient or EQ, describes an ability, capacity, or skill to perceive, assess, and manage the emotions of one's self, of others, and of groups."

In other words: I'm not the socializing type. Therefore I don't have any "real life" friends.

That just blows my mind.  You're so fun, so witty, such a great guy!!

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 3:28 pm

What bills do you have to pay in order to maintain your household?

The usual: rent, electricity, water, gas, phone, insurance...food of course. Then there's the cable company (where would we be without 'em?), and some extra like a pension contribution today, but it will come in handy later  ;)].

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 02/23/07 at 3:29 pm

I will second all of that and add courteous and pleasant to the list.

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 3:42 pm

I will second all of that and add courteous and pleasant to the list.

Well... who am I to disagree? ::)

But all joking aside: just being witty doesn't make anybody a good friend. There's a lot more to it. I find it hard to keep a genuine interest in people (which I think is essential to make a relationship work). Maybe that's because I tend to think I'm not that interesting to other people.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/23/07 at 3:50 pm

Well... who am I to disagree? ::)

But all joking aside: just being witty doesn't make anybody a good friend. There's a lot more to it. I find it hard to keep a genuine interest in people (which I think is essential to make a relationship work). Maybe that's because I tend to think I'm not that interesting to other people.

I think you're very interesting.  Just know that you will always have a friend here.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/herz.gif 

(Unless you do something to really piss me off, in which case I will toss you into the attic!)

Written By: Paul on 02/23/07 at 3:50 pm

Maybe that's because I tend to think I'm not that interesting to other people.

I can sympathise... :-[

Written By: Howard on 02/23/07 at 3:54 pm

The usual: rent, electricity, water, gas, phone, insurance...food of course. Then there's the cable company (where would we be without 'em?), and some extra like a pension contribution today, but it will come in handy later  ;)].

Do you have a big family?

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 4:02 pm

I think you're very interesting.  Just know that you will always have a friend here.   http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/herz.gif 

That means a lot to me. I hope I won't let you down.

(Unless you do something to really piss me off, in which case I will toss you into the attic!)

If you want this relationship to work you'd better leave the "making threats" part to me, you hear? ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 4:17 pm

I can sympathise... :-[

We'd be a jolly couple to hang out with! ;D

I've never met you in real life, but judging by what I've seen on the boards you're anything but uninteresting. You've a great sense of humour, you have a great knowledge of music and you're considerate and courteous. :)

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 4:22 pm

Do you have a big family?

I'm single, if that's what you mean, with two brothers and two sisters. My oldest sister is married (she has three children) and my older brother is engaged to be married (marriage is scheduled to be celebrated in September). My parents are both still alive as well.

Written By: Paul on 02/23/07 at 4:28 pm

We'd be a jolly couple to hang out with! ;D

I think even the furniture would get up and walk out!

I've never met you in real life, but judging by what I've seen on the boards you're anything but uninteresting. You've a great sense of humour, you have a great knowledge of music and you're considerate and courteous. :)

Thank you muchly, Henk...those self-same words could easily apply to you! :)

Now, the difficult part is actually convincing ourselves...hey-ho!

Written By: Henk on 02/23/07 at 5:48 pm

I think even the furniture would get up and walk out!

I'd rather have 'em walk out than walk out on me. ;)

Thank you muchly, Henk...those self-same words could easily apply to you! :)

Now, the difficult part is actually convincing ourselves...hey-ho!

Let's start today, right here and now.

We're nice blokes. We are funny. We are courteous. We deserve a slap in the face pat on the back. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/07 at 7:44 pm

What do you think of solo Depeche albums like Paper Monsters by Gahan and the Counterfeit EP and Counterfeit² album by Gore?

Written By: Henk on 02/24/07 at 2:32 am

What do you think of solo Depeche albums like Paper Monsters by Gahan and the Counterfeit EP and Counterfeit² album by Gore?

I'm not very fond of the Counterfeit ones... :-\\ Could be because I'm not familiar with the original versions of the songs, but on the whole I found them rather disappointing.

Paper Monsters on the other hand...was a pleasant surprise.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/07 at 6:41 am

Do you drive a car?  ???

Written By: Henk on 02/24/07 at 11:28 am

Do you drive a car?  ???

Yep. A Nissan.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/07 at 6:46 am

Yep. A Nissan.

How many miles a gallon does it get?

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/07 at 11:55 pm

I'm not very fond of the Counterfeit ones... :-\\ Could be because I'm not familiar with the original versions of the songs, but on the whole I found them rather disappointing.

Paper Monsters on the other hand...was a pleasant surprise.

I wasn't too keen on the Counterfeit ones either, but naturally I had to own copies.  What still shocks me is that in the CD sleeve to the Counterfeit EP are photos of a naked woman :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/26/07 at 10:48 am

That means a lot to me. I hope I won't let you down.

You won't.  :)

If you want this relationship to work you'd better leave the "making threats" part to me, you hear? ;)

Ooooh...interesting...  :D

Written By: Henk on 02/26/07 at 2:44 pm

How many miles a gallon does it get?

It gets 13.4 km a liter, last time I checked.(Now you do the math) Bearing in mind that I only use the car to drive to and from work (22 km a day in total) and there's no highway on that stretch, I think that's not a bad average.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/07 at 3:32 pm

It gets 13.4 km a liter, last time I checked.(Now you do the math) Bearing in mind that I only use the car to drive to and from work (22 km a day in total) and there's no highway on that stretch, I think that's not a bad average.

So you don't use the car that often? ???

Written By: Henk on 02/26/07 at 4:35 pm

So you don't use the car that often? ???

Only every day, Howard... What I'm saying is I only drive short distances (apart from vacation/holiday, which is once a year).

Written By: Howard on 02/26/07 at 4:37 pm

Do you take public transportation on other days?

Written By: Henk on 03/01/07 at 12:17 am

Do you take public transportation on other days?

What "other days" do you mean? ??? I use the car every day to get to work or anywhere else I want to go. On rare occasions I will go by foot (not to get to work, though). In my case, public transportation is not an option.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 6:12 am

Have you gotten into car crashes?

Written By: Henk on 03/01/07 at 3:37 pm

Have you gotten into car crashes?

Just a few, and mostly fender benders. One time, however, another driver didn't give me right of way and hit my trunk. It made my car spin some 120 degrees and I ended up in a ditch. Fortunately it was summer so there wasn't any water in it. Unfortunately I wasn't alone in the car at the time...My older brother (who was sitting in the back) smacked his head against the window (it broke) and ended up with  a bleeding head wound that needed stitching. O - and the car was a total loss.

But that was already 12 years ago, I think. I haven't been in any accidents since.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/01/07 at 3:47 pm

I'm glad you survived those  :o

Written By: Henk on 03/01/07 at 3:59 pm

I'm glad you survived those  :o

I'm glad too, Howard. ;) I've no intention of dying just yet.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/07 at 6:27 am

I'm glad too, Howard. ;) I've no intention of dying just yet.

Me neither,Life's good and the living is easy. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/18/07 at 2:39 pm

Just checking...

...yes, it's still there.

Written By: karen on 06/18/07 at 2:47 pm

Just checking...

...yes, it's still there.
Aw, feeling ignored?

Written By: Howard on 06/18/07 at 2:56 pm

How's everything going?

Written By: Henk on 06/18/07 at 3:37 pm

Aw, feeling ignored?

Maybe just a little, to be honest.

I know, I know...I've no one to blame but myself. I can't expect people to notice me when I keep a low profile. But I have no desire to stand out in meaninglessness, so I have a low post count (although I'm around almost every day). Most of those posts are made in the Quizzes section, too - and since not everybody does quizzes, I'm probably not very well known. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

Written By: Henk on 06/18/07 at 3:41 pm

How's everything going?

Everything's going just fine, Howard. :) I have an appointment for the dentist tomorrow, my car is due for maintenance coming Wednesday, I've a committee meeting this week and still heaps to do before my holiday (starts June 29)...nah! Nothing I can't handle. ;)

Written By: karen on 06/19/07 at 3:13 am

Maybe just a little, to be honest.

I know, I know...I've no one to blame but myself. I can't expect people to notice me when I keep a low profile. But I have no desire to stand out in meaninglessness, so I have a low post count (although I'm around almost every day). Most of those posts are made in the Quizzes section, too - and since not everybody does quizzes, I'm probably not very well known. That's why I started this thread in the first place.

Thing is though you'll occasionally come out with killer lines.  You should show your humour more often.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 7:12 am

Everything's going just fine, Howard. :) I have an appointment for the dentist tomorrow, my car is due for maintenance coming Wednesday, I've a committee meeting this week and still heaps to do before my holiday (starts June 29)...nah! Nothing I can't handle. ;)

What are you going to the dentist for?

Written By: karen on 06/19/07 at 7:23 am

And where are you going for your holiday?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/19/07 at 7:27 am

Where are you in the lineup of your brothers and sisters (meaning...how many older and how many younger then you)?  Are you especially close (as in you are more like friends then brothers/sisters) to any of them?

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 3:49 pm

Thing is though you'll occasionally come out with killer lines. 

...but they usually go unnoticed. I don't think I've ever been quoted on the "Forum Quotes of the Day" thread, you know. That hurts. And how come my karma count is (relatively) low? It makes me wonder: am I just casting pearls before the swine?  :-\\

You should show your humour more often.

I'll try anyway. It's either that, or wallowing in self-pity. ;D

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 3:51 pm

What are you going to the dentist for?

Just a regular check-up, Howard. I go twice a year.

And the good news is: everything is okey-dokey. :) I'm off the hook (quite literally) for another six months.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 3:58 pm

And where are you going for your holiday?

A very, very small hamlet called Weerdinge. Try finding that on GoogleEarth! ::) It's just north of Emmen, in the province of Drenthe.

Anyway, those are the plans...but all of a sudden we're not so sure of actually going anymore. :-\\ See, my mother's not feeling very well (had a few restless nights) and she's seeing a specialist next Friday. We're not sure of the outcome yet, but we may have to revise our plans accordingly.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 4:05 pm

Just a regular check-up, Howard. I go twice a year.

And the good news is: everything is okey-dokey. :) I'm off the hook (quite literally) for another six months.

So no cavities? ???

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 4:06 pm

Where are you in the lineup of your brothers and sisters (meaning...how many older and how many younger then you)?  Are you especially close (as in you are more like friends then brothers/sisters) to any of them?

I've four siblings: two older sisters, one older brother and one younger brother. Since my younger brother and me are only 17 months apart, people often mistake us for twins (well, in the past anyway). We two are pretty close, though we don't know each other's most intimate secrets.

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 4:08 pm

So no cavities? ???

No cavities whatsoever. I'm just lucky, I guess. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 4:10 pm

No cavities whatsoever. I'm just lucky, I guess. ;)

I remember 6 years ago I had about 8 cavities,after that my teeth have been pretty white(off-white,I think).

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 4:36 pm

I remember 6 years ago I had about 8 cavities,after that my teeth have been pretty white(off-white,I think).

Oh, I've had my share of cavities in the past... and I've had parts of molars chipped off (while eating a pizza - it makes an interesting grinding sound, but it don't taste too good... ;)). I've also had teeth and molars extracted...I think my dentist must be a wealthy man by now.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/07 at 5:09 pm

Oh, I've had my share of cavities in the past... and I've had parts of molars chipped off (while eating a pizza - it makes an interesting grinding sound, but it don't taste too good... ;)). I've also had teeth and molars extracted...I think my dentist must be a wealthy man by now.

The only thing I've had were cavities but after that my teeth have been great.Just a lot of gunk. :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/19/07 at 10:38 pm

A very, very small hamlet called Weerdinge. Try finding that on GoogleEarth! ::) It's just north of Emmen, in the province of Drenthe.

I have another friend that used to live in Drenthe.  Small world (at least it is on the internet)  :)

Hope your mom turns out to be ok and that you enjoy your holiday

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 11:57 pm

The only thing I've had were cavities but after that my teeth have been great.

Lucky you!

Just a lot of gunk. :P

Gunk? Sorry, that's not in my dictionary. :-\\

Written By: Henk on 06/19/07 at 11:58 pm

I have another friend that used to live in Drenthe.  Small world (at least it is on the internet)  :)

Hope your mom turns out to be ok and that you enjoy your holiday

Thanks, Patty. :) Of course we're hoping the same thing, but for now all we can do is wait.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/20/07 at 12:01 am

Do you have any nieces or nephews?

Do you live very close to your mom?

Written By: Henk on 06/20/07 at 12:13 am

Do you have any nieces or nephews?

Do you live very close to your mom?

Yes and yes.

I have two nieces and a nephew. They're the children of my oldest sister (and her husband, of course). The oldest (a girl) will be turning 13 in December (how time flies...), the second (girl) has turned 11 in March and the youngest (boy) will be 10 years old by the end of August.
There will be two nephews added to the total by the end of September though... My older brother is getting married, and his bride-to-be already has two sons (aged 16 and 18) from a previous marriage.

My parents and all of my siblings and me are living in the same town, so we don't have to worry about travelling long distance to see eachother.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/20/07 at 2:30 am

Do you have a big family as in cousins and aunts and uncles?  Do you have family get-togethers very often?

Written By: Howard on 06/20/07 at 6:21 am

Lucky you!

Gunk? Sorry, that's not in my dictionary. :-\\

Gunk meaning I've had a lot of tartar build-up.

Written By: Henk on 06/20/07 at 3:07 pm

Do you have a big family as in cousins and aunts and uncles? 

Yes I do. My mother had one brother and three sisters, all of which have sadly already passed away. One of my aunts never got married (and didn't have any kids either), the other two did though...and got a total of 17 kids. Both aunts outlived their respective spouses (in fact, one of my aunts even outlived her second husband). My uncle also married and had three kids. His widow is still alive and though she's not part of the family by blood, we still keep in touch with her (especially my mother).
On my father's side there are two uncles. One of them is now a widower, with four kids. The other never got married.

Do you have family get-togethers very often?

No we don't. We're not that type of family, I guess. :-\\ We only get to see eachother at funerals lately...and the occasional wedding.

I think this has also to do with age differences. My mother was the second youngest in her family, you see. Her older sisters and brother were already married when she was still going to school. This also lead to great age differences between the cousins, of course - and siblings too, for that matter. One of my aunts became both mother and grandmother at about the same time. A lot of my cousins are old enough to be my mother/father.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/20/07 at 9:08 pm

Here's a few questions for you, Henk-

-I realize everyone else may know, but from the things I've seen, I'm assuming you're Dutch?

-I am looking to expand my knowledge of European pop & rock groups. Any groups you'd suggest I start with?

-Do you know of a Swedish artist named Stakka Bo? If so, I'd like you to check something out for me. He released his 3rd album in 2001, but only in Europe, apparently. It's called "jr." Could you see if there's a possibility of dredging up a copy? I would deeply appeciate the info.

-What beverages do you enjoy consuming?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/20/07 at 9:13 pm

Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?

Written By: Howard on 06/21/07 at 6:20 am

Do you prefer being it Summer or Spring? ???

Written By: karen on 06/21/07 at 8:04 am

Does the name Henk mean anything?

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 1:34 pm

-I realize everyone else may know, but from the things I've seen, I'm assuming you're Dutch?

Well, yes. :)

-I am looking to expand my knowledge of European pop & rock groups. Any groups you'd suggest I start with?

This is not an easy question to answer. "European pop & rock groups"...that's quite a lot of field to cover. Could you be a little more specific (for example: any specific era)? Of course I could wildly name some names, if that's what you want.

-Do you know of a Swedish artist named Stakka Bo? If so, I'd like you to check something out for me. He released his 3rd album in 2001, but only in Europe, apparently. It's called "jr." Could you see if there's a possibility of dredging up a copy? I would deeply appeciate the info.

Heard of, yes. He's not very successful over here.
Now the album...I'll see what I can do (provided it's not too expensive).

Almost anything, as long as it's non-alcoholic. Tea (whatever flavor), coffee (no espresso please!), soda, juices...or just plain water.
I specifically enjoy drinking what's called "Frisse Fruitdrank" or "Dubbelfris" - not sure if there's an American/English equivalent. :-\\
It consists of mildly carbonated water with (two or more) varieties of fruit juices (Apple/Pear, Apple/Peaches, Forest Fruits, Red Fruits, Lemon/White Grapes, Oranges/Mandarins etc.)

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 1:38 pm

Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?

Doms...you know I love you too, don't you? :D

Seriously...I was 8 years old when that photo was taken, if that's what you're referring to. I don't look quite the same anymore.

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 1:44 pm

Do you prefer being it Summer or Spring? ???

I do prefer summer over spring, although in this country seasons tend to look more and more alike the last couple of years.

We don't get "real" summers over here, you know. I mean: they don't last very long, generally. It gets relatively warm for a couple of days (a week at most), and then it cools down again (with winds and rain), and then it heats up a little, and then it cools down some more, and then it's fall already (with just the same sort of weather).

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 1:46 pm

Does the name Henk mean anything?

I'm sure it does, but I keep forgetting. I suppose it means the same as Henry, if that's any help.

I'll see if I can find some online information.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/21/07 at 1:51 pm

Doms...you know I love you too, don't you? :D

Seriously...I was 8 years old when that photo was taken, if that's what you're referring to. I don't look quite the same anymore.

Buahaha. I was quoting The Flaming Lips. I wanted to see if you'd recognize it. YOU FAILED!!

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 1:58 pm

I'm sure it does, but I keep forgetting. I suppose it means the same as Henry, if that's any help.

I'll see if I can find some online information.

Here's what Wikipedia says about Henry:

Henry is a male given name and a surname. It originates from the Norman version of the Germanic name Haimirich and is also a variant of Heinrich. Henry is a common king's name and means 'Ruler of the home' or 'Lord of the house'

The Dutch equivalent of Henry is Hendrik. According to the Meertens Institute, the last part (-rik) means "powerful, mighty". The first part is yet unclear. So...I'm powerful anyway. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/21/07 at 2:00 pm

Buahaha. I was quoting The Flaming Lips. I wanted to see if you'd recognize it. YOU FAILED!!

Well, I wasn't serious either. So there. :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/21/07 at 8:04 pm

This is not an easy question to answer. "European pop & rock groups"...that's quite a lot of field to cover. Could you be a little more specific (for example: any specific era)? Of course I could wildly name some names, if that's what you want.

I realize this may be a broad topic, naturally.

For specific eras, I can easily say the 1980s.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/22/07 at 1:38 am

How did your mom's specialist appointment go? 

Written By: karen on 06/22/07 at 3:19 am

The Dutch equivalent of Henry is Hendrik. According to the Meertens Institute, the last part (-rik) means "powerful, mighty". The first part is yet unclear. So...I'm powerful anyway. :)

powerful, mighty hen?  ;)

I just wondered, someone else I know is married to someone called Henk

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 3:23 am

powerful, mighty hen?   ;)

I just wondered, someone else I know is married to someone called Henk
There is on LBC (London BroadCasting) local radio in London, a finance reporter with the name of Henk Potts. His true position in life is equity strategist at Barclays Stockbrokers.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/22/07 at 4:44 am

Do you know of a Dutch singer named Henk Poort?

I believe he was in the Dutch cast of "Les Miserables".

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 6:00 am

Have you ever been called "Hank"?

Written By: Henk on 06/22/07 at 1:36 pm

How did your mom's specialist appointment go? 

Although I haven't heard from my parents, I can safely assume everything went alright (if not, I'd found out by now). So preparations for our holiday will continue as planned. :)

Written By: Henk on 06/22/07 at 1:43 pm

powerful, mighty hen?   ;)

Well, not the last time I checked... ;)

There is on LBC (London BroadCasting) local radio in London, a finance reporter with the name of Henk Potts. His true position in life is equity strategist at Barclays Stockbrokers.

See? Henk Power! :D

Written By: Henk on 06/22/07 at 1:50 pm

Do you know of a Dutch singer named Henk Poort?

I believe he was in the Dutch cast of "Les Miserables".

Henk Poort is a famous Dutch (classical) singer- so yes, I've heard of him. He has his own website, so if you wanna know more...

Written By: Henk on 06/22/07 at 1:54 pm

Have you ever been called "Hank"?

Not in writing, no. But since the names are pronounced the same it's hard to tell if somebody's saying "Hank" instead of "Henk", so it's possible I've been called Hank.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/07 at 2:26 pm

See? Henk Power! :D
I hear this Henk Potts almost every morning and his financial reports are on the comedy side.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/07 at 2:42 pm

Henk Poort is a famous Dutch (classical) singer- so yes, I've heard of him. He has his own website, so if you wanna know more...

I can't read his website,It's all in Dutch.

Written By: Henk on 06/22/07 at 4:31 pm

I can't read his website,It's all in Dutch.

It's also available in English and German. There's a language option on the top right corner. ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/23/07 at 6:33 am

It's also available in English and German. There's a language option on the top right corner. ;)

Oh Ok,I didn't see that part.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/23/07 at 11:54 am

What do you do for fun (aside from answer questions from us)?

Can you speak any other languages other then Dutch and English?

Written By: Henk on 06/23/07 at 4:58 pm

What do you do for fun (aside from answer questions from us)?

I make questions for you (in the Quizzes section).

Can you speak any other languages other then Dutch and English?

I can speak a little German. It's very basic, but just enough to answer simple questions by German tourists, or ask questions myself when visiting Germany.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/07 at 8:54 pm

What's your favorite language?

Written By: Henk on 06/24/07 at 1:04 am

What's your favorite language?

Dutch.  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/24/07 at 6:02 am

Is your family Dutch?

Written By: Henk on 06/24/07 at 6:47 am

Is your family Dutch?

Yes, Howard. All my family's Dutch.

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 3:45 pm

I haven't forgotten about these, in case you were wondering. I'll answer them as soon as possible, but no earlier than July 13 (I'll be on holiday until then).

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 4:03 pm

Actually, I think I may have already found you an answer:

The album is available via Amazon.com. Not sure if you want to pay $ 19.49, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 4:04 pm

Why is the name Stakka Bo familiar to me?

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 4:20 pm

Why is the name Stakka Bo familiar to me?

Maybe because of this...  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 4:22 pm

Maybe because of this...  ::)
Yes it was that, but I have not heard that in ages.

Written By: Henk on 06/27/07 at 4:23 pm

Yes it was that, but I have not heard that in ages.

And now you'll be singing it all day. :D ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/07 at 4:23 pm

And now you'll be singing it all day. :D ;D
I will be going to bed soon, I will be dreaming about it all night.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/07 at 7:54 pm

What do you do for fun?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/28/07 at 5:44 am

Actually, I think I may have already found you an answer:

The album is available via Amazon.com. Not sure if you want to pay $ 19.49, though.

Thanks, Henk!
I appreciate that!

I am a very HUGE Stakka Bo fan, and I have discovered that this LP is a BEAR to find!

Written By: karen on 07/26/07 at 7:02 am

So I thought I'd asked here but clearly forgot.  Did you enjoy your holiday?

Also in Holland how many statutory holidays (we call them bank holidays because the banks shut) do you get and are any for special reasons?

Written By: Howard on 07/26/07 at 7:41 am

What is the currency of Holland?

Written By: Henk on 07/26/07 at 3:24 pm

So I thought I'd asked here but clearly forgot.  Did you enjoy your holiday?

It was OK. We've had better ones. Nothing wrong with the accommodation or the surroundings, and the hospitality was almost too much to take in...but the weather was a spoilsport. I don't think we've ever had this much rain during our holiday. Especially the first week was extremely wet. No flooding in our area, thank goodness, but we had to change our plans nevertheless. No cycling or hiking...but shopping. The second week was slightly better, but we didn't want to take any chances.
There have been years when I'd take as much as 80 pictures during our holiday. This year I've made only 10... Says it all, really.

Also in Holland how many statutory holidays (we call them bank holidays because the banks shut) do you get and are any for special reasons?

Barring Christian holidays (Easter Monday, Whitmonday, Ascension Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day) and New Year's Day...only one (or two, depending on the year): Koninginnedag (Queen's Birthday, April 30) and Bevrijdingsdag (Liberation Day, May 5).

Koninginnedag is a yearly event, celebrating our monarchy in general, with fleamarkets, parades and other events throughout the country. On this day, the queen (and her family) will visit two towns to have a "meet & greet" with Joe Public, and take part in festivities. This gives some excellent television.
It was originally celebrated on August 31 (the late queen Emma's birthday), but was moved to April 30 when queen Juliana came to power (being her birthday and all). After her abdication in 1980, her daughter (the present queen Beatrix) decided to keep that date as a token of respect and gratitude. (Plus, her own birthday is January 30...not a time you'd want to be outdoors!)

Liberation Day celebrates the end of WW II. It's a statutory holiday once every five years (next one will be 2010). Tough luck if that's a Saturday or Sunday...you don't get it compensated.

Written By: Henk on 07/26/07 at 3:25 pm

What is the currency of Holland?

We've got euros since January 1, 2002. Before that, we had Dutch Guilders.

Written By: karen on 07/27/07 at 4:02 am

It was OK. We've had better ones. Nothing wrong with the accommodation or the surroundings, and the hospitality was almost too much to take in...but the weather was a spoilsport. I don't think we've ever had this much rain during our holiday. Especially the first week was extremely wet. No flooding in our area, thank goodness, but we had to change our plans nevertheless. No cycling or hiking...but shopping. The second week was slightly better, but we didn't want to take any chances.
There have been years when I'd take as much as 80 pictures during our holiday. This year I've made only 10... Says it all, really.

It really sucks when the weather is rubbish doesn't it? Especially when you are on holiday

I was just reading a post on another forum from a guy who now lives in Holland.  He says his house is about 3 metres below sea level.  How much below or above sea level is your house (roughly?)

Koninginnedag is a yearly event, celebrating our monarchy in general, with fleamarkets, parades and other events throughout the country. On this day, the queen (and her family) will visit two towns to have a "meet & greet" with Joe Public, and take part in festivities. This gives some excellent television.

I like the idea of the royals going out and about around the country for this.  Here you'd have to go to London for the birthday parade and garden party.

It was originally celebrated on August 31 (the late queen Emma's birthday), but was moved to April 30 when queen Juliana came to power (being her birthday and all). After her abdication in 1980, her daughter (the present queen Beatrix) decided to keep that date as a token of respect and gratitude. (Plus, her own birthday is January 30...not a time you'd want to be outdoors!)

Yes, Queen Elizabeth has two birthdays.  Her real one is sometime in April so she has an official birthday in June.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/07 at 6:44 am

Is Hollandaise sauce made in Holland?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/07 at 6:46 am

Yes, Queen Elizabeth has two birthdays.  Her real one is sometime in April so she has an official birthday in June.

Do the French celebrate two birthdays, the date of the the birth and the Saint Day of the name?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/27/07 at 6:57 am

What's your favorite thing to eat and drink?  Do you like to cook?

Written By: Henk on 07/28/07 at 1:59 am

Is Hollandaise sauce made in Holland?

Hollandaise Sauce can be made everywhere, Howard, as long as you follow the recipe. It doesn't originate from Holland (or The Netherlands) either - it's French. You can read more in this Wikipedia article.

Written By: Henk on 07/28/07 at 2:14 am

It really sucks when the weather is rubbish doesn't it? Especially when you are on holiday

I was just reading a post on another forum from a guy who now lives in Holland.  He says his house is about 3 metres below sea level.  How much below or above sea level is your house (roughly?)

I'm not quite sure...

I think ground floor level may be about 3 ft. (roughly 1 meter) above sea level. Since my appartment is on the second floor, you can add another 10 ft. (or 3 meters) to that. But these are only my estimates, and I could be off by several feet.

I know De Kooy (our local airport) has an elevation of 3 ft., but that's as close as I can get. :-\\

Written By: DoctorFate on 07/28/07 at 2:38 am

Favorite song: that's a toughie... Sometimes I think it's Walking In My Shoes, other times I feel more like I Feel You, or Precious (you know it's about Dave's children, don't you?), or even Fly On The Windscreen...so quite a lot.

On the other hand...there's few songs that I don't like, like Sister Of Night or Goodnight Lovers.

On the other hand...there's few songs that I don't like, like Sister Of Night or Goodnight Lovers

What do you think of ... say

'Achy Breaky Heart'

'Long haired lover from liverpool' ?

I think they 've got to be amongst the worst songs ever .....

Although 'Footloose' and the chorus of 'Addicted to love' I find quite irritating /monotonous  too. I'm sure there's plenty of others ...

Written By: Howard on 07/28/07 at 6:18 am

Hollandaise Sauce can be made everywhere, Howard, as long as you follow the recipe. It doesn't originate from Holland (or The Netherlands) either - it's French. You can read more in this Wikipedia article.

Thanks Henk. :)

Written By: Henk on 07/28/07 at 11:56 am

Do the French celebrate two birthdays, the date of the the birth and the Saint Day of the name?

You're asking me...?  ??? ...'cause I don't know. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 11:58 am

You're asking me...?  ??? ...'cause I don't know. :-\\
I was asking you or anyone who wished to answer.

Written By: Henk on 07/28/07 at 12:06 pm

What's your favorite thing to eat and drink?  Do you like to cook?

Favorite food would be Italian. Pizza, macaroni, spaghetti, tortellini, canelloni...the lot. :) But I'm not a picky eater, so I'll eat most anything.
Drinks...well, non alcoholic, that's for sure. And I don't usually drink highly carbonated beverages either. Anything else is fine with me. (I could be more specific about this, I know...but the beverages I drink aren't available elsewhere, so it wouldn't be of much use)

Cooking is not really my thing, although I don't mind doing it either. I don't like to spend hours cooking. Diner should be ready in approx. 30 minutes, and all necessities should be at hand. That's why we plan our diners a week ahead, and go shopping accordingly.

Written By: Henk on 07/28/07 at 12:09 pm

What do you think of ... say

'Achy Breaky Heart'

'Long haired lover from liverpool' ?

I think they 've got to be amongst the worst songs ever .....

Although 'Footloose' and the chorus of 'Addicted to love' I find quite irritating /monotonous  too. I'm sure there's plenty of others ...

Those songs are definitely not on my list of all time favorites, that's for sure...but there are songs far worse than the ones you mentioned.

...Let's just say it's a good thing you're not Dutch. ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/07 at 6:01 am

Do you like TV Dinners?

Written By: Henk on 07/31/07 at 3:49 pm

Do you like TV Dinners?

I don't think TV Dinners are available in stores over here, Howard - at least not the ones you're probably thinking of. So this question is a bit hard to answer for me. :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 4:35 pm

Who is/was the biggest Dutch band/singer in the Dutch Top 40 from the 60s to today?

I bet I can guess some of them ...

The 1970s - Golden Earring
The 1990s - 2 Unlimited

Written By: Henk on 08/01/07 at 12:31 am

Who is/was the biggest Dutch band/singer in the Dutch Top 40 from the 60s to today?

I bet I can guess some of them ...

The 1970s - Golden Earring
The 1990s - 2 Unlimited

A simple question...yet not easy to answer. There's no statistics kept for this kind of thing (not that I know of, anyway), so I had to figure it out myself. Did some calculating, and here are the results of the Dutch jury...

Note: I've only included acts that had 10 or more Top 40 hits during the era given, and I've limited myself to a Top 10 (maximum).

Based on # of Top 40 hits:

1965 - 1969
Golden Earring (13)
The Motions (11)
The Shoes (11)
The Cats (10)
Tee Set (10)

1970 - 1979
Vader Abraham (30)
George Baker Selection (23)
The Cats (20)
Jack Jersey (19)
Andres (Dries van Holten) (17)
Corry Konings (16)
Albert West (16)
Dizzy Man's Band (15)
Sandra Reemer (15)
Mariska Veres (15)

1980 - 1989
Dolly Dots (22)
Normaal (22)
BZN (20)
André van Duin (19)
André Hazes (18)
Babe (12)
Het Goede Doel (12)
Anita Meyer (11)
John Spencer (11)
Piet Veerman (11)

1990 - 1999
René Froger (22)
Frans Bauer (18)
Normaal (18)
2 Unlimited (18)
BZN (17)
Marco Borsato (15)
2 Brothers on the 4th Floor (15)
André Hazes (14)
Paul de Leeuw (13)
T-Spoon (13)

Based on # of weeks on chart:

1965 - 1969
Golden Earring (142)
The Cats (128)
The Motions (87)
The Shoes (77)
Tee Set (73)

1970 - 1979
George Baker Selection (215)
Vader Abraham (194)
The Cats (172)
Willem Duyn (aka Big Mouth) (145)
Golden Earring (132)
Earth & Fire (123)
Corry Konings (120)
Andres (Dries van Holten) (120)
Jack Jersey (112)
Maggie McNeal (112)
Mariska Veres (112)

1980 - 1989
BZN (154)
Dolly Dots (151)
Normaal (124)
André van Duin (118)
André Hazes (115)
Spargo (75)
Piet Veerman (71)
Het Goede Doel (70)
Koos Alberts (69)
Anita Meyer (69)

1990 - 1999
Marco Borsato (184)
2 Unlimited (174)
René Froger (137)
2 Brothers on the 4th Floor (128)
Paul de Leeuw (127)
Frans Bauer (103)
T-Spoon (98)
Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo (97)
BZN (94)
Jeroen Flamman (94)

Based on a combination of # of hits, # of weeks on chart and (average) peak positions:

1965 - 1969
Golden Earring
The Cats
The Motions
The Shoes
Tee Set

1970 - 1979
BZN
Willem Duyn (aka Big Mouth)
Earth & Fire
André van Duin
Shocking Blue
George Baker Selection
Pussycat
Golden Earring
The Cats
Maggie McNeal

1980 - 1989
BZN
Spargo
Koos Alberts
Dolly Dots
André Hazes
André van Duin
Anita Meyer
Het Goede Doel
Piet Veerman
Normaal

1990 - 1999
Marco Borsato
2 Unlimited
Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo
Jeroen Flamman
Paul de Leeuw
2 Brothers on the 4th Floor
De Kast
T-Spoon
Ruth Jacott
Frans Bauer

Written By: whistledog on 08/01/07 at 1:18 am

^ I didn't know Tee Set had hits prior to the 70s.  Interesting to know.  It's a shame their only BIG entry in the US was 'Ma Belle Amie'

Surprised to see 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor.  I still only know them for 'Dreams'.  I need to download all their songs

Written By: Howard on 08/01/07 at 6:19 am

http://us.holland.com/

Have You ever seen this website before?  :)

Written By: Henk on 08/01/07 at 2:48 pm

^ I didn't know Tee Set had hits prior to the 70s.  Interesting to know.  It's a shame their only BIG entry in the US was 'Ma Belle Amie'

Technically, "Ma Belle Amie" is a 1960s song. It hit the Dutch charts in the summer of 1969.
Tee Set also had 11 Top 40 entries in the 1970s. Not enough to make the lists I compiled, though.
Only 4 of their 21 Top 40 hits reached Top 10: "Don't You Leave" (#9, 1967), "Ma Belle Amie" (#6, 1969), "She Likes Weeds" (#1, 1970) and "In Your Eyes (I Can See The Lies)" (#9, 1971).

Surprised to see 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor.  I still only know them for 'Dreams'.  I need to download all their songs

Here's a list of the songs that either made Top 40 or bubbling under section:

Can't Help Myself (#6, 1991)
Turn Da Music Up (#19, 1991)
Never Alone (#2, 1993)
Dreams (#1, 1994)
Let Me Be Free (#6, 1994)
Fly (Through the Starry Night) (#7, 1995)
Come Take My Hand (#4, 1995)
Fairytales (#6, 1996)
Mirror of Love (#7, 1996)
There's a Key (#10, 1996)
Christmas Time (b/u, 1996)
One Day (#10, 1997)
I'm Thinking of U (#10, 1998)
Do You Know (#18, 1998)
The Sun Will Be Shining (#23, 1998)
Heaven is Here (b/u, 1999)
Living in Cyberspace (#32, 1999)
Wonderful Feeling (b/u, 2000)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/07 at 12:06 pm

Do you know if German can be a difficult language to learn?

Written By: Henk on 09/18/07 at 12:12 pm

Do you know if German can be a difficult language to learn?

It's not difficult..

...it's bloody impossible!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/07 at 12:14 pm

It's not difficult..

...it's bloody impossible!  ;D
I know that several words in a sentence can be combined into one long word.

I was just curious.

Written By: Henk on 09/18/07 at 12:34 pm

I know that several words in a sentence can be combined into one long word.

I was just curious.

Joking aside...German is a difficult language IMHO. For starters: nouns are divided into three genders, and each gender has five cases.
Also, specific prepositions come with specific cases (there's tons of them!), and some prepositions can only be used after the subject they refer to. (For example: "Dem Bahnhof gegenüber" means "Opposite (of) the station")  All nouns start with a capital letter (well, I suppose that's about the easiest thing to remember).

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 4:04 pm

Joking aside...German is a difficult language IMHO. For starters: nouns are divided into three genders, and each gender has five cases.
Also, specific prepositions come with specific cases (there's tons of them!), and some prepositions can only be used after the subject they refer to. (For example: "Dem Bahnhof gegenüber" means "Opposite (of) the station")  All nouns start with a capital letter (well, I suppose that's about the easiest thing to remember).

I was thinking of learning the language, but now I have given up.

Written By: Henk on 09/19/07 at 4:18 pm

I was thinking of learning the language, but now I have given up.

Well, I've learned the basics (and forgot most of it). I can help a German out when I'm asked for directions, and that's about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/07 at 4:18 pm

Well, I've learned the basics (and forgot most of it). I can help a German out when I'm asked for directions, and that's about it.
You can just point with the finger too!

Written By: Henk on 09/19/07 at 4:40 pm

You can just point with the finger too!

"Immer geradeaus". They get the message. ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/20/07 at 6:19 am

What does that mean in translation? ???

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 3:23 pm

What does that mean in translation? ???

"Keep moving straight ahead."

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:05 pm

Deiner Nase einfach folgen

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:09 pm

Deiner Nase einfach folgen

See? German is easy! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:11 pm

See? German is easy! ;D
Einfach mit Hilfe eines on-line-übersetzers

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:20 pm

Einfach mit Hilfe eines on-line-übersetzers

So that's your secret...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:21 pm

So that's your secret...
Only done just to give me the flow of the prose

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:28 pm

Only done just to give me the flow of the prose

Here's some real prose for you:

Ich hab' die Schnauze voll! Wo sind meine Rasierklinge? Es is mir Wurst, Wurst, Wurst! Ich tanze nur mit dir. Gib' mir noch ein Bier
denn Ich hab' ein Riesen-, Riesendurst, Durst, Durst, und wenn die Frau mich rufst dann sag Ich: 'Ja, dass ist mir Wurst!'.

::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:29 pm

Ich hab' die Schnauze voll! Wo sind meine Rasierklinge? Es is mir Wurst, Wurst, Wurst! Ich tanze nur mit dir. Gib' mir noch ein Bier
denn Ich hab' ein Riesen-, Riesendurst, Durst, Durst, und wenn die Frau mich rufst dann sag Ich: 'Ja, dass ist mir Wurst!'.

Without looking it up, it must be from a song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:31 pm

Translating it into  English, you just have to laugh!!!

"I hab' the lip fully! Where is my razor-blade? It is me sausage, sausage, sausage! I dance only with you. Gib' me still another beer
because I hab' a giant, a giant thirst, thirst, thirst, and if the Mrs. calls me then says I: “That is me sausage!”."

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:49 pm

Without looking it up, it must be from a song.

The "Wurst" part is, yes. The first line is a common German expression, the second line is a question that might come in handy (if you use razor blades).

Translating it into  English, you just have to laugh!!!

"I hab' the lip fully! Where is my razor-blade? It is me sausage, sausage, sausage! I dance only with you. Gib' me still another beer
because I hab' a giant, a giant thirst, thirst, thirst, and if the Mrs. calls me then says I: “That is me sausage!”."

That just about sums it up.

"Ich hab' die Schnauze voll" = I'm fed up.
"Es ist mir Wurst" = I don't give a d*mn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:51 pm

The "Wurst" part is, yes. The first line is a common German expression, the second line is a question that might come in handy (if you use razor blades).

That just about sums it up.

"Ich hab' die Schnauze voll" = I'm fed up.
"Es ist mir Wurst" = I don't give a d*mn.
One thing I must learn:

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium!
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, Dein Heiligtum.
Deine Zauber binden wieder,
War Würfel Modus streng geteilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
Wo Dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 4:56 pm

I was a bit off with the lyrics, I found...The last line should read: "Und wenn die Frau mich ruft dann sag' Ich 'Schade, es ist mir Wurst' "

It doesn't really alter the meaning, though. I'll try to find the song (a minor hit over here).

One thing I must learn:

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
Tochter aus Elysium!
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, Dein Heiligtum.
Deine Zauber binden wieder,
War Würfel Modus streng geteilt,
Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
Wo Dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

That is not easy to translate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 4:58 pm

That is not easy to translate.
From the original first verse of Beethoven's Ode to Joy:

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods
Daughter of Elysium
We enter fire-imbibed
Heavenly, thy sanctuary
Thy magic reunites those
whom stern custom has parted
All men will become brothers
Under thy gentle wing

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 5:01 pm

From the original first verse of Beethoven's Ode to Joy:

Joy, beautiful spark of the gods
Daughter of Elysium
We enter fire-imbibed
Heavenly, thy sanctuary
Thy magic reunites those
whom stern custom has parted
All men will become brothers
Under thy gentle wing

Well, I couldn't have put it better myself. And not so quickly, too. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 5:02 pm

Well, I couldn't have put it better myself. And not so quickly, too. ;)
I am looking in Charity Shops for a cheap German dicitionary and Learn German book

Written By: Henk on 09/20/07 at 5:12 pm

I am looking in Charity Shops for a cheap German dicitionary and Learn German book

I hope you're not expecting any recommendations from me... :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/20/07 at 5:14 pm

I hope you're not expecting any recommendations from me... :-\\
No I am not, I will find what I will find.

Written By: Henk on 09/22/07 at 11:09 am

I was a bit off with the lyrics, I found...The last line should read: "Und wenn die Frau mich ruft dann sag' Ich 'Schade, es ist mir Wurst' "

It doesn't really alter the meaning, though. I'll try to find the song (a minor hit over here).

Well, this is what it sounds like...

Heinrich - Es Ist Mir Wurst

Written By: Howard on 09/22/07 at 11:51 am

Well, this is what it sounds like...

Heinrich - Es Ist Mir Wurst

OMG,That's funny.I thought Hitler had a tune there. ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/22/07 at 4:21 pm

Do you like a German food?

Do you wear any men's cologne?

Do you tie your shoes or maybe have loafers or velcro straps?

Is this random enough questions for you?  ;D

Written By: Henk on 09/22/07 at 4:39 pm

Do you like a German food?

Can't think of any... :-\\ So I guess not.

Do you wear any men's cologne?

Hardly ever. In fact, I use it so rarely that I find myself having to look for another fragrance when the bottle's finally empty (because the original fragrance is no longer available). Right now, I have an open bottle of Axe Voodoo on the shelf.

Do you tie your shoes or maybe have loafers or velcro straps?

No loafers or straps for me. Shoes need to be tied.

Is this random enough questions for you?  ;D

No. :P ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/23/07 at 6:40 am

What other German songs do you know?

Written By: Henk on 09/23/07 at 2:17 pm

What other German songs do you know?

Too many to list, Howard. Germany is our neighbour to the east, and German songs find their way to our charts quite often.

Artists like Nena, Peter Schilling, Wind, Freiheit, BAP, Trio, Geier Sturzflug, Tokio Hotel, Marianne Rosenberg, Udo Jürgens, Jürgen Marcus, Nino de Angelo, Falco and many others have had hits over here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 2:23 pm

Too many to list, Howard. Germany is our neighbour to the east, and German songs find their way to our charts quite often.

Artists like Nena, Peter Schilling, Wind, Freiheit, BAP, Trio, Geier Sturzflug, Tokio Hotel, Marianne Rosenberg, Udo Jürgens, Jürgen Marcus, Nino de Angelo, Falco and many others have had hits over here.
Is Nicole still singing?

Written By: Henk on 09/23/07 at 3:20 pm

Is Nicole still singing?

Good question. I'm not sure....but I do know she hasn't had a hit over here in 24 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 3:23 pm

Good question. I'm not sure....but I do know she hasn't had a hit over here in 24 years.
Could be a one hit wonder?

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/07 at 4:43 pm

Is Nicole still singing?

Is the Nicole who sang 'A Little Peace' different than the Nicole who sang 'Don't You Want My Love' ?

Written By: Henk on 09/23/07 at 4:49 pm

Is the Nicole who sang 'A Little Peace' different than the Nicole who sang 'Don't You Want My Love' ?

Yes.

Nicole (born Nicole Hohloch) (who won the ESC with "Ein Bisschen Frieden/A Little Peace") is German, whereas the other Nicole (born Nicole McLeod) is American.

Could be a one hit wonder?

No - Well, not over here and in Germany anyway. She hit the Dutch Top 40 5 times, you know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/07 at 4:50 pm

The Nicole I was asking of is the singer of  'A Little Peace' who won the Eurovision Song Contest with that song.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/07 at 6:04 pm

Peter Schilling,Did he sing "Major Tom"(Coming Home)? ???

Written By: Henk on 09/24/07 at 12:18 am

Peter Schilling,Did he sing "Major Tom"(Coming Home)? ???

Yes, he did. He's German, and the original version of that song was/is in German. The orirginal German lyrics are closer to David Bowie's  "Space Oddity" though.

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/07 at 12:28 am

You left out Modern Talking :D

Written By: Henk on 09/24/07 at 1:04 pm

They didn't sing in German. ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/24/07 at 3:00 pm

What did they sing? ???

Written By: Henk on 09/24/07 at 3:41 pm

What did they sing? ???

"You're My Heart, You're My Soul", "You Can Win If You Want", "Atlantis Is Calling (SOS For Love)", "Geronimo's Cadillac", "Jet Airliner", "Cheri Cheri Lady", "Brother Louie" and many others.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/07 at 3:43 pm

"You're My Heart, You're My Soul", "You Can Win If You Want", "Atlantis Is Calling (SOS For Love)", "Geronimo's Cadillac", "Jet Airliner", "Cheri Cheri Lady", "Brother Louie" and many others.

What years were they? ???

Written By: Henk on 09/24/07 at 3:45 pm

What years were they? ???

1985 to 1987. The duo split up in 1988, but rejoined in 1998 (and split up again later).

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 4:44 pm

I was looking for an ask me about The Netherlands thread but I couldn't find it  :-\\

Anyway.  What is the capital of The Netherlands?  Is it Amsterdam or The Hague?

Written By: Henk on 11/06/07 at 4:59 pm

I was looking for an ask me about The Netherlands thread but I couldn't find it  :-\\

O, it's there somewhere... It's called "Oh very well...Ask me anything about The Netherlands then!" or something like that.

Anyway.  What is the capital of The Netherlands?  Is it Amsterdam or The Hague?

The capital of The Netherlands is Amsterdam, although government has its seat in The Hague. Confusing (even to the Dutch), I admit.

Written By: karen on 11/06/07 at 5:04 pm

O, it's there somewhere... It's called "Oh very well...Ask me anything about The Netherlands then!" or something like that.

I've a feeling it didn't make it into this section then.

The capital of The Netherlands is Amsterdam, although government has its seat in The Hague. Confusing (even to the Dutch), I admit.

Ah, I'll let my daughter's teacher off then!  We already pointed out that he should refer to it as The Netherlands and not Holland and then we began to doubt what the capital was.

Written By: Henk on 11/07/07 at 12:19 am

I've a feeling it didn't make it into this section then.

It's still there, I've checked. ;)

Ah, I'll let my daughter's teacher off then!  We already pointed out that he should refer to it as The Netherlands and not Holland and then we began to doubt what the capital was.

Teachers oughta know...

...and we all know "Holland" is just some village in Michigan, innit? ;)

But joking aside: I don't really mind whether you call it Holland or The Netherlands.  As long as you know where to find it on a map of the world.

Written By: karen on 11/07/07 at 7:46 am

Teachers oughta know...

They ought to but this particular one refers to the whole of Britain as 'England'.

Written By: Henk on 11/08/07 at 12:29 am

They ought to but this particular one refers to the whole of Britain as 'England'.

Boo!

Written By: Howard on 11/08/07 at 6:26 am

What's the weather like these days?  ???

Written By: Henk on 11/08/07 at 11:19 am

What's the weather like these days?  ???

Windy and rainy. We're expected to have a storm tonight and possibly tomorrow...

your average storm, obviously. We "only" get winds up to 110 - 120 kmh (70 - 75 mph)...]

With that, temperatures are dropping gradually too. We're getting below 50 now...I don't like it. 8-P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/07 at 11:37 am

Windy and rainy. We're expected to have a storm tonight and possibly tomorrow...

your average storm, obviously. We "only" get winds up to 110 - 120 kmh (70 - 75 mph)...]

With that, temperatures are dropping gradually too. We're getting below 50 now...I don't like it. 8-P
Could that storm be with us (UK) now?

Written By: Henk on 11/08/07 at 1:12 pm

Could that storm be with us (UK) now?

Most likely, yes...It's coming in from the west/northwest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/08/07 at 1:14 pm

Most likely, yes...It's coming in from the west/northwest.
As you can see by the Abbey Road Webcam it is very wet in London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/07 at 4:54 am

Henk, have you been collecting the bananas that have been washed up on the coast of the Netherlands?

Click here

Written By: Henk on 11/09/07 at 1:34 pm

Henk, have you been collecting the bananas that have been washed up on the coast of the Netherlands?

Click here

Nah...Don't like bananas very much. Besides, I'd have to get to the island(s) first...too much hassle over something that's probably not even edible (anymore). :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/07 at 1:39 pm

Nah...Don't like bananas very much. Besides, I'd have to get to the island(s) first...too much hassle over something that's probably not even edible (anymore). :P
I take it then you are some distance from these islands?

Written By: Henk on 11/12/07 at 4:09 pm

I take it then you are some distance from these islands?

The most western village on the nearest of the two islands (Terschelling) is roughly 57.5 km (36 miles) away, as the crow flies - but the distance is not really the problem. You can't get there "as the crow flies"...You have to make a detour to get to the harbour from which the ferry to the island departs. And the ferry trip to the island will take more time than the trip to the harbour.

Ameland isn't much better (though it's nearer to the mainland, which means the ferry trip doesn't take that long). It's about 87 km (or 55 miles) away, as the crow flies.

Perhaps this map will make things clearer. Remember: I live in the reddish dot in the bottom left hand corner...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/waddeneilanden.jpg

Written By: karen on 11/12/07 at 7:40 pm

Does music from the other European countries chart regularly in The Netherlands?  Apart from Britain what other countries have had hits there?

Written By: Henk on 11/13/07 at 12:20 am

Does music from the other European countries chart regularly in The Netherlands?  Apart from Britain what other countries have had hits there?

Loads!

There's Belgium of course (2 Unlimited was a Belgian idea....), Germany (Nena, Scorpions and Peter Schilling, for instance), France, Switzerland, Austria (Opus, Falco), Spain (Julio Iglesias, Baccara, and yes...Las Ketchup), Italy (Italo disco, Andrea Bocelli), Greece (Axis, Aphrodites Child, Vangelis), Sweden (Abba), Denmark (Aqua, Toy Box), Norway, Finland (The Rasmus), Iceland (Bjork, Mezzoforte), former Yugoslavia, Turkey...and let's not forget Ireland. These are the countries/artists that I can think of right now, but there's plenty more.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/13/07 at 2:38 am

The most western village on the nearest of the two islands (Terschelling) is roughly 57.5 km (36 miles) away, as the crow flies - but the distance is not really the problem. You can't get there "as the crow flies"...You have to make a detour to get to the harbour from which the ferry to the island departs. And the ferry trip to the island will take more time than the trip to the harbour.

Ameland isn't much better (though it's nearer to the mainland, which means the ferry trip doesn't take that long). It's about 87 km (or 55 miles) away, as the crow flies.

Perhaps this map will make things clearer. Remember: I live in the reddish dot in the bottom left hand corner...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/17/785141/waddeneilanden.jpg
It looks to be quite a trek to get there.

Written By: Henk on 04/11/08 at 2:11 pm

It looks to be quite a trek to get there.

I must admit, I've never been to those particular islands.

I have been to Vlieland and Texel, but I visited both islands only once. I'm not much of a globetrotter.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/11/08 at 3:01 pm

How is your health?

Written By: Henk on 04/11/08 at 4:34 pm

How is your health?

I'm alive and well, Howard. :) I've no complaints at the moment (well, nothing more serious than some aching muscles, but I've only got myself to blame for that) and no chronic diseases either.

Written By: Henk on 05/02/08 at 4:48 am

A question I've still failed to answer...  :-\\ :-[

Written By: Howard on 05/02/08 at 6:33 am

How's the weather been?

Written By: Henk on 05/02/08 at 10:07 am

How's the weather been?

Improving. We've had some showers the last few days, with temperatures dropping to around 13° C yesterday. Now it's sunny again (can't see a cloud in the sky) and temperatures are on the up. Maybe they'll get as high as 20° C this weekend. :)

(FYI: the "normal" temperature for this time of year is about 16° C)

Written By: karen on 05/02/08 at 11:25 am

I've been meaning to ask how your sister is.  Has she recovered now?

Written By: Henk on 05/03/08 at 1:18 am

I've been meaning to ask how your sister is.  Has she recovered now?

Thanks for asking. :)

Thankfully my sister has fully recovered. The penicillin did the trick. She's been up and about for the past couple of weeks, busy with her kids and what have you. Pretty much everything is back in order chaos over there... ;)

Written By: karen on 05/05/08 at 8:58 am

Thanks for asking. :)

Thankfully my sister has fully recovered. The penicillin did the trick. She's been up and about for the past couple of weeks, busy with her kids and what have you. Pretty much everything is back in order chaos over there... ;)

Glad to hear it.

Do you have any plans for the summer (holiday or day trips)?

Written By: Howard on 05/05/08 at 10:28 pm

Where do you see yourself a year from now?

Written By: Henk on 05/06/08 at 12:07 am

Glad to hear it.

Do you have any plans for the summer (holiday or day trips)?

We sure have.  :)

From August 2 to August 16, we will be staying at this place (near a little town in the east of the country called Tilligte) and explore the surroundings by bike, foot and car. We have already summoned good weather... ;)

Written By: Henk on 05/06/08 at 12:09 am

Where do you see yourself a year from now?

I don't foresee any major changes, Howard... I'll probably still be living where I'm living now (Den Helder) and doing what I'm doing at present (working at this accountancy firm).

Written By: Howard on 05/06/08 at 2:25 pm

I don't foresee any major changes, Howard... I'll probably still be living where I'm living now (Den Helder) and doing what I'm doing at present (working at this accountancy firm).

What are your job duties there?

Written By: Henk on 05/06/08 at 3:35 pm

What are your job duties there?

I think I've told you before, but I don't mind telling again...

My job is to check all outgoing mail (letters, email, annual surveys for our clients) for any misspellings and/or miscalculations. We can't have those of course... I also check tax declarations for entrepreneurs for misspellings and to see if no possible deductions etc have been overlooked.
Now this may seem like one heck of a job, and it is, although the annual surveys and the tax declarations have already been looked at by at least three people before I get to see them (so basically...they should be OK. Yeah, right... ::))
I've been doing this for the past 8 years and of course by now I know what things need special attention.

Subject: Re: Why Not Ask Henk?

Written By: Henk on 09/16/08 at 12:33 pm

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless there is important new information to be added or updated, start a new topic instead.

Umm...no, nothing of importance. Just bumping this one 'cause Midas obviously missed it. :P

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 12:38 pm

We sure have.  :)

From August 2 to August 16, we will be staying at this place (near a little town in the east of the country called Tilligte) and explore the surroundings by bike, foot and car. We have already summoned good weather... ;)

How was your stay there?

(Sorry I forgot this one  :-[ )

Written By: Henk on 09/16/08 at 12:48 pm

How was your stay there?

(Sorry I forgot this one   :-[ )

Excellent. :) The weather was very cooperative (only a few heavy showers, but nothing worrying). Especially the first week was nice and warm/hot. We've been out and about plenty a-time and had a real good time.

Sorry I can't show you any pictures. I don't have a digital camera, and my scanner seems to be broken. :( But trust me: we've made far more (and better) pictures than we did during our 2007 vacation (when we had lots of rain).

Written By: Midas on 09/16/08 at 1:01 pm

Excellent.

Which mix of "A Question Of Time" do you prefer (Album Version, New Town Mix, Extended Remix, etc.) ?

Written By: Henk on 09/16/08 at 3:46 pm

Excellent.

Which mix of "A Question Of Time" do you prefer (Album Version, New Town Mix, Extended Remix, etc.) ?

In general, I'm not a fan of any remix of a Depeche Mode song (of course, this is limited to the remixes that I know - and there must be loads that I don't know). In this case, however, the Extended Remix is bearable.

If I had to pick one other remix/remake out of the many remixes of Depeche Mode songs, it'd be this one.

Written By: karen on 12/02/08 at 1:23 pm

what do you call this type of footwear?

http://www.smartgeezer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/adidas-white-trainers.jpg

Written By: Henk on 12/02/08 at 4:46 pm

what do you call this type of footwear?

http://www.smartgeezer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/adidas-white-trainers.jpg

Is this a trick question...? 'Cause the obvious answer is: shoe. :P :D ;) ;D

Just kidding of course... ;)

Your question isn't as easy as it seems. I've been spending over an hour, scouring the internet trying to find a proper answer, but I still don't know.
I suppose you're looknig for the (a) Dutch word for "trainer". I'm not sure there is... :-\\  Technically, the shoe depicted (Adidas Universal) is what we call a hardloopschoen. In all honesty, I don't know if people actually go to a store and ask for a hardloopschoen nowadays...I don't anyway, but then again I don't need/want hardloopschoenen/trainers... I've seen similar shoes advertised as streetschoenen as well as sneakers, and those seem to be more current terms.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/08 at 9:00 pm

was 2 Unlimited the most successful Dutch act in the Netherlands during the 90s?

Written By: karen on 12/02/08 at 10:04 pm

Is this a trick question...? 'Cause the obvious answer is: shoe. :P :D ;) ;D

Just kidding of course... ;)

Your question isn't as easy as it seems. I've been spending over an hour, scouring the internet trying to find a proper answer, but I still don't know.
I suppose you're looknig for the (a) Dutch word for "trainer". I'm not sure there is... :-\\  Technically, the shoe depicted (Adidas Universal) is what we call a hardloopschoen. In all honesty, I don't know if people actually go to a store and ask for a hardloopschoen nowadays...I don't anyway, but then again I don't need/want hardloopschoenen/trainers... I've seen similar shoes advertised as streetschoenen as well as sneakers, and those seem to be more current terms.

I suppose I also wondered if the American or British term had crept into the language and it looks like the American one has.

Don't you wear any form of casual shoe?  Don't tell me you wear socks and sandals.  :o

Written By: Henk on 12/03/08 at 12:22 am

I suppose I also wondered if the American or British term had crept into the language and it looks like the American one has.

Indeed. In fact, only recently a "Sneakers" shoe store was opened in my town.

Don't you wear any form of casual shoe?  Don't tell me you wear socks and sandals.  :o

No!!  :o No sandals for me! 8-P

I do wear casual shoes, just no sneakers (with the odd exception...I have a pair of Diesels). Unfortunately, I can't find any example images rightaway. :(

Written By: Henk on 12/03/08 at 12:25 am

was 2 Unlimited the most successful Dutch act in the Netherlands during the 90s?

I'll have to check to make sure, but I'd say: yes, with 13 consecutive Top 10 hits (15 in total).

Written By: Henk on 06/20/09 at 5:51 am

I'll have to check to make sure, but I'd say: yes, with 13 consecutive Top 10 hits (15 in total).

I now have the means to make sure I answered your question correctly. Which I will do... later today.

Written By: Henk on 06/20/09 at 5:51 am

This gives me a good reason to once again bump my own thread.

Written By: Henk on 06/20/09 at 7:51 am

Now to finally answer your question: on most counts, yes, but not on all.

When it comes to the # of Top 40 hits, 2 Unlimited scored 18 but René Froger did slightly better with 21. All other counts are in favor of 2 Unlimited, though.

Most Top 40 hits in the 1990's:
1. René Froger (21)
2. Madonna (20)
3. 2 Unlimited (18)
4. Mariah Carey / BZN / Normaal (16)

Most Top 10 hits in the 1990's:
1. 2 Unlimited (15)
2. Michael Jackson (12)
3. 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor / Mariah Carey / Snap! (11)

Most weeks on chart in the 1990's:
1. 2 Unlimited (174)
2. Marco Borsato (149)
3. Michael Jackson (146)

Most weeks in Top 10 during the 1990's:
1. 2 Unlimited (77)
2. Marco Borsato (70)
3. Snap! (67)

Most points scored in Top 40 (all singles combined) in the 1990's:
1. 2 Unlimited (4,694)
2. Marco Borsato (3,874)
3. Snap! (3,583)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/29/09 at 2:13 pm

I was going to ask you some questions last time I was on, but I didn't want to repeat a question that had already been asked.  I decided to read the entire thread, so I didn't repeat, but it took so long to read, that I had to go before I had a chance to ask a question.

I didn't have a chance to finish reading the thread, but I do want to ask questions, so I'm just going to plunge ahead and ask.  If I repeat a question, I apologize.

What is your favorite food? 

Favorite color?

What are you afraid of?

Favorite vegetable?

What do you usually eat for breakfast?

If you could have any occupation in the world, which would you choose?

If you had to live someplace other than the Netherlands, where would you live?

Written By: Henk on 06/29/09 at 3:18 pm

No need to apologize for anything, Ash. :) I don't mind answering the same question twice (unless it's the same person asking again...and again)

There's some tough questions here, but I'll give it my best shot.

What is your favorite food? 

Has to be Italian. Especially pizza and cannelloni (though I haven't had the latter for quite some time - not easy to cook yourself).

Favorite color?

That would be yellow and blue. It's easy to tell once you've visited me. ;D

What are you afraid of?

Apart from the usual stuff, like snakes, killer bees, fire ants and the like? Heights. And people. I find it hard to interact (face to face) with something as unpredictable as a human being.

Favorite vegetable?

This is not as easy as it seems. I don't eat enough vegetables ( :-
What do you usually eat for breakfast?

I'm a creature of habit, so it's two slices of bread with chocolate sprinkles, and a cup of tea (flavor may vary) for me.

If you could have any occupation in the world, which would you choose?

Something that would get me a lot of money without any great effort... but those jobs don't seem to exist.
Seriously.. If I could, I'd probably try being a poet for a living. Not gonna happen, though.

If you had to live someplace other than the Netherlands, where would you live?

I can't think of any place I'd rather be than the Netherlands. Mostly because I'm not really familiar with other countries.
If I HAD to live abroad, I'd probably pick Belgium. Same language (well, sorta), same climate, same currency, and close to 'home'. ;)

Written By: Frank on 06/29/09 at 4:57 pm

What's your favorite sport?

How many languages do you speak?

What's your favorite place that you have visited?

What is your favorite group/artist ( musical)?

Written By: Henk on 06/29/09 at 4:59 pm

I'll answer those tomorrow, as I'm off to bed now.

Written By: Henk on 06/30/09 at 1:36 pm

As promised...

I don't play any sports (anymore). Once upon a long ago I used to play soccer, and I still enjoy watching that. Other sports that I like to watch include Formula 1/A1 racing and cycling.

Fluently? Just the one (Dutch), although I like to think my English is pretty decent and I can just about manage in German.
Most Germans appreciate the effort you put into it, even if you screw up with the cases or gender. ;D

That's a tough one. I've not been abroad a lot, except for some daytrips to Luxembourg, Germany or Belgium.
I can tell you what my least favorite place was, though: Liège (Belgium). That's one ugly city - at least the parts that we have seen.

One of my favorite spots in the Netherlands would be De Weerribben - a nature reserve in the province of Overijssel. Another one of my favorite places is the butterfly garden in the Emmen Zoo (for obvious reasons, I assume).

That's Depeche Mode, without a doubt. I've quite a collection of albums and singles by that band. I've never been an avid fan, though, and lately I find myself losing interest. That's partly because they're not at all popular in my country.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/30/09 at 1:54 pm

Fluently? Just the one (Dutch), although I like to think my English is pretty decent and I can just about manage in German.
Most Germans appreciate the effort you put into it, even if you screw up with the cases or gender. ;D

Your English is better than most Americans I know. 

Written By: Henk on 06/30/09 at 2:08 pm

Your English is better than most Americans I know. 

Thank you. :) There's a difference between typing/writing and speaking, though. It's much easier to type (especially with a dictionary at hand  ;)).

Written By: Frank on 06/30/09 at 3:05 pm

Thank you. :) There's a difference between typing/writing and speaking, though. It's much easier to type (especially with a dictionary at hand  ;)).

Hi Henk,
Your English is good. If you would have told me you are from Canada or USA, I would have believed you.
And I guess I'll never visit Liege.

Who's your favorite (past and present) F1 driver?

Written By: Henk on 06/30/09 at 3:43 pm

Hi Henk,
Your English is good. If you would have told me you are from Canada or USA, I would have believed you.

Thank you too. :)

And I guess I'll never visit Liege.

Smart move. ;)

Who's your favorite (past and present) F1 driver?

I don't have any real favorites. I'm usually rooting for the underdog(s). Right now I'm thinking "wouldn't it be great if Barichello could win once more?" I know, he's not really an underdog, but still...he's by far the oldest and most experienced driver. For all we know, this might be his last season.
Apart from that, I'll always be rooting for any Dutch driver. We (the Dutch) are still waiting for our first Formula 1 victory...

Never was a fan of Michael Schumacher, though.

Written By: Frank on 06/30/09 at 3:53 pm

Never was a fan of Michael Schumacher, though.

Because he was arrogant?
Because he cut people off? (Damon Hill)
Because he always won?

Written By: Henk on 06/30/09 at 4:01 pm

Because he was arrogant?
Because he cut people off? (Damon Hill)
Because he always won?

Yes, yes and yes. ;D

I'm so glad the dominance of Ferrari belongs to the past. It got boring.

Written By: Frank on 06/30/09 at 5:04 pm

Yes, yes and yes. ;D

I'm so glad the dominance of Ferrari belongs to the past. It got boring.

I liked it when Senna or Prost were in Ferarri, and I always liked Gerhard Beger and Michele Alboreto

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/30/09 at 7:36 pm

Have you ever been to the U.S.?

Where would you like to visit (in the U.S.) if you had unlimited time, money (and energy)?

If you could change 3 things that have happened to you in your life, what would they be?

If you could have a dinner party with any 5 celebrities (living or dead), who would they be?

Where is the best place you've ever eaten?

Written By: Henk on 07/02/09 at 2:34 pm

Oops.. I totally missed your questions yesterday, Patty. :-
Have you ever been to the U.S.?

No I haven't. I'm not much of a globetrotter, sadly.

Where would you like to visit (in the U.S.) if you had unlimited time, money (and energy)?

Wherever I find fellow-00zers.

If you could change 3 things that have happened to you in your life, what would they be?

What, only three? Hardly fair! ;D

Well, for one: I would've opted for braces as a kid. Sadly, my parents decided otherwise (might've been a money thing, I don't know for sure).
Secondly, I really wish I had had the courage to talk to this one girl I met when commuting to my former employer. For a couple of years, I saw her at least twice a week in the train between Den Helder and Amsterdam (that's a 75 minute trip). I just never found the words to tell her how beautiful she was (in my eyes).
Thirdly... don't know. Can't think of anything right now.

If you could have a dinner party with any 5 celebrities (living or dead), who would they be?

Oh, that's hard! Never given this much thought... Let me see...

Barack Obama seems like a totally laidback guy to me - a funny man too. I think we'd be getting along well.
Madonna. Heck, why not? Just 'cause she's Madonna, d'oh.
Fréderique Huydts - a Dutch actress who sadly passed away about two years ago. A talented and beautiful woman, she was.
Martina Hingis - Swiss tennis player. I've always admired her.
Robbie Williams - the singer, formerly in Take That. Somehow I feel he and Obama share the same sense of humor.

Where is the best place you've ever eaten?

I don't go out eating a lot, and when I do it's mostly burgers & fries or some cheap-ish restaurant. Nothing fancy.
But recently I had dinner with a bunch of colleagues and I had a three course meal at the "Vijverhut" restaurant in Groote Keeten (a tiny speck about 15 minutes south from where I live). That was by far the best three course meal I had ever had.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/05/10 at 1:20 pm

I thought I would revive this because... well I don't know.  I just think Henk is a rather cool guy and we should know more about him.  :)

I know this is a little early, but will you be singing in the men's christmas chorus again this year?  I had such fun listening to the recording of your chorus singing in the past.

How is your family?  Did you all go on holiday at the same time and place again this year?  I always thought that was really neat.  My family (well actually some of my mom's sisters and brothers and my parents and brother went on holiday or camping a few times when I was a child - but we just kind of stopped doing that and I wish we still did.)  I vaguely remember you used to go to a small resort near Drenth and it had windmills nearby (I remember the pictures.)  Did you go there again this year?

Written By: Henk on 09/06/10 at 2:57 am

I thought I would revive this because... well I don't know.  I just think Henk is a rather cool guy and we should know more about him.  :)

Awww... you're too kind! Karma to you, Patty. :)

I know this is a little early, but will you be singing in the men's christmas chorus again this year?  I had such fun listening to the recording of your chorus singing in the past.

FTR: I sing in a men's choir, and we have performances throughout the year - not just at Christmas. ;) But to answer your question: yes, we will be performing at/around Christmas this year as well. I don't have the details at hand (yet), mosly because I've stepped down from the board earlier this year.

How is your family? 

They're doing fine, thank you. :)

Did you all go on holiday at the same time and place again this year? 

Not all - just me, my younger brother, my father and my youngest sister. My other brother and sister are married, and they plan their own vacations.

I vaguely remember you used to go to a small resort near Drenth and it had windmills nearby (I remember the pictures.)  Did you go there again this year?

You remember well! 8) But we didn't go there this year. Plans were to visit the province of North Brabant, but we had to revise them because of my father (long story!) and so we ended up in the town of Rijssen (in the province of Overijssel) instead. Vacation was so-so. I'll be starting a thread on the subject shortly (once I have my pictures developed).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/30/10 at 11:03 pm

Do you speak English very often? 

When perusing the ooze, do you type in Dutch then use a translation program or do you type in English?  I often forget that English isn't your first language because you are just that darn good!

Would you like to own your own house (assuming that you pay rent now)?

Do you have any long-term goals?

How good are you at making decisions (I must admit, I have a terrible time making even simple decisions.)

Written By: Howard on 10/01/10 at 6:46 am

what's your favorite sport?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/10 at 4:43 am

Are you watching the Ryder Cup?

Written By: Henk on 10/02/10 at 10:01 am

Do you speak English very often? 

No I don't, actually. Although when I'm behind the computer I often find myself talking to myself in English.  :D

When perusing the ooze, do you type in Dutch then use a translation program or do you type in English?  I often forget that English isn't your first language because you are just that darn good!

I type in English. Or gibberish. ;D
I always keep a dictionary at hand, though. ;)

Would you like to own your own house (assuming that you pay rent now)?

I'd like to, but then it would have to be really really big with breathtaking views and no neighbors for as far as the eye can see. And of course I'd need enough money to afford me some staff to keep the place up to standards. So basically...it's not gonna happen.

Do you have any long-term goals?

Errm...live long and prosper? Does that qualify? :-\\

How good are you at making decisions (I must admit, I have a terrible time making even simple decisions.)

I've no trouble deciding to put things off for a while. ::)

Written By: Henk on 10/02/10 at 10:03 am

what's your favorite sport?

That would be soccer, hands down. I don't play it, but I like to watch it.

Other favorites include speed skating, cycling and Formula 1.

Written By: Henk on 10/02/10 at 10:07 am

Are you watching the Ryder Cup?

No, I don't watch golf. I think it's pretty boring, and apart from that we (i.e. the Dutch) don't have any international golf stars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/10 at 2:36 pm

No, I don't watch golf. I think it's pretty boring, and apart from that we (i.e. the Dutch) don't have any international golf stars.
I was thinking as it is Europe v USA, but there again.

Written By: seamermar on 01/26/11 at 7:20 am

Are you nostalgic about Johan Cruyff ?  :\'(

I remember my youth watching the orange team beatting on the grass .

Then Barça bargained over the crack, and the succesful  soccer orange blew out.  :-X
I'm not a fan footballer, but I long for the good old days when colours where soul and skin.

I feel like any past time was better than nowadays.
Did you feel the same, dear Henk ?

grettings

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 1:49 pm

Does Netherlands get snow? ???

Written By: Henk on 01/26/11 at 1:53 pm

Does Netherlands get snow? ???

Do you ever read my posts?  :-\\ Yes Howard, we do get snow. Not as much and not as often as in the U.S. of A., but it snows from time to time. Especially in winter.

Written By: Henk on 01/26/11 at 1:57 pm

Are you nostalgic about Johan Cruyff ?  :\'(

I remember my youth watching the orange team beatting on the grass .

Then Barça bargained over the crack, and the succesful  soccer orange blew out.  :-X
I'm not a fan footballer, but I long for the good old days when colours where soul and skin.

I feel like any past time was better than nowadays.
Did you feel the same, dear Henk ?

grettings

Nostalgic? Not really. I was quite young when Johan Cruyff was in his prime, so I don't remember much about it.
And we've made the final of the World Cup twice without the aid of Cruyff (1978 and 2010). ;)

Written By: seamermar on 01/26/11 at 2:50 pm

holy crop, you're right !!,

then..... I'm older than you for maybe.... half score.

anyway, have you ever think about visiting Spain ?
I quite often see some country-folks of yours enjoying our land

Written By: karen on 01/27/11 at 11:07 am

Henk

If the UK board members were arranging a mini-meet somewhere (say London) would you consider coming across to meet up?

Written By: Henk on 01/27/11 at 3:27 pm

holy crop, you're right !!,

then..... I'm older than you for maybe.... half score.

anyway, have you ever think about visiting Spain ?
I quite often see some country-folks of yours enjoying our land

To be honest, I've never really thought about visiting Spain. Somehow the country just doesn't appeal to me. Sorry... :-[ :(

Written By: Henk on 01/27/11 at 3:32 pm

Henk

If the UK board members were arranging a mini-meet somewhere (say London) would you consider coming across to meet up?

That's a toughie... I think I just might. Consider it, that is. It's tantalizingly close...

Written By: seamermar on 01/28/11 at 5:07 pm

To be honest, I've never really thought about visiting Spain. Somehow the country just doesn't appeal to me. Sorry... :-[ :(

I thank you sincerely wrote Henk.  Quite opposite I'd like to roll around those channels from some Dutch towns.

Written By: karen on 05/17/12 at 2:09 am

Henk

Which city is the capital of The Netherlands?  I always thought it was The Hague but Elizabeth is revising geography for a school exam, and she learnt it was Amsterdam.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/17/12 at 2:18 am

Isn't The Hague it's own entity, like Vatican City?  I might be mistaken (often am.)

Written By: Henk on 05/17/12 at 7:33 am

Henk

Which city is the capital of The Netherlands?  I always thought it was The Hague but Elizabeth is revising geography for a school exam, and she learnt it was Amsterdam.

Elizabeth is right - our official capital is Amsterdam, but our government is seated in The Hague. It's confusing, even to the Dutch.

Isn't The Hague it's own entity, like Vatican City?  I might be mistaken (often am.)

Hah! They wish! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/12 at 9:40 am

I just got the 2009 CD 'Outta Here' by Esmée Denters in the mail.  I am curious, was she as popular as the charts show in her homeland? 
She never reached the mainstream over here

Written By: Henk on 05/17/12 at 10:14 am

I just got the 2009 CD 'Outta Here' by Esmée Denters in the mail.  I am curious, was she as popular as the charts show in her homeland? 
She never reached the mainstream over here

Well, it's not like she had a string of hits here either...but she was rather popular, for a short period of time. I can't think of the last time I saw one of her videos, though, come to think of it.
Then again, I've somewhat lost touch with today's music. :(

I read her second album is due in September.

Written By: karen on 05/17/12 at 10:18 am

Elizabeth is right - our official capital is Amsterdam, but our government is seated in The Hague. It's confusing, even to the Dutch.

I wondered if it was something like that.  Dai has been to The Hague on business and said that most of the government buildings were there.

One of the European courts is there (human rights court I think) and so some pretty high profile trials have been held there.  Possibly (dredging into my memory banks here) some of the Yugoslavia war crimes trials took place there - they probably made the US news?

Written By: Henk on 05/17/12 at 10:26 am

One of the European courts is there (human rights court I think) and so some pretty high profile trials have been held there.  Possibly (dredging into my memory banks here) some of the Yugoslavia war crimes trials took place there - they probably made the US news?

True, true. It is the seat of the International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration. Currently, the trial against Ratko Mladic (former military leader of the Serbian army, accused of genocide and other crimes against humanity) is being held there.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/17/12 at 5:57 pm

Why is it called The Hague instead of just Hague.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?

Written By: Henk on 05/18/12 at 2:05 am

Why is it called The Hague instead of just Hague.

Because the Dutch equivalent is Den Haag, not Haag. The city is also known as 's-Gravenhage, but most foreigners find that a bit hard to pronounce... ::)

Have you ever been to Amsterdam?

More than once. I used to work there from 1985 to 1994. Even lived there for a short period of time (less than a year).
I also remember shopping there (but I wasn't impressed much) and a visit to the Anne Frank House (of course). There's some vague memories of a canal tour in a boat, too. I must've been 7 or 8 back then.
That's about it, I think. In general, I'm not very fond of big cities (although Amsterdam is still relatively small).

Written By: Paul on 05/18/12 at 7:35 am

Confusing to me too! I always thought it was the latter...the more you know!

According to a certain online encyclopaedia, it's one of only four countries worldwide that have this oddity...

Written By: warped on 06/16/12 at 4:35 pm

Is "Henk" a dutch version of the common English name "Hank" or 'Henry"

Or, visee-versee

Are "Hank" or "Henry" a dutch version of the common Dutch name "Henk"

Written By: Henk on 06/16/12 at 4:41 pm

Is "Henk" a dutch version of the common English name "Hank" or 'Henry"

Or, visee-versee

Are "Hank" or "Henry" a dutch version of the common Dutch name "Henk"

It could be both. I'm not sure which version (the Dutch or the English) has senior rights, but I think it might be the English one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:19 pm

It could be both. I'm not sure which version (the Dutch or the English) has senior rights, but I think it might be the English one.
From wikipedia:

Henk is Dutch male first name which originated as a short form of Hendrik but developed into a name in its own right. It influenced "Hank" which is used in English-speaking countries (mainly in the US) as a form of "Henry".

Written By: Henk on 06/17/12 at 2:33 pm

From wikipedia:

Henk is Dutch male first name which originated as a short form of Hendrik but developed into a name in its own right. It influenced "Hank" which is used in English-speaking countries (mainly in the US) as a form of "Henry".

Well whaddayaknow... I was wrong!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/12 at 2:40 pm

Well whaddayaknow... I was wrong!
Speaking as genealogist, I was curious too.

Written By: warped on 10/13/12 at 1:04 pm

What's your favorite Dutch singer/band of all time? 

If if you were to create a list of the top 10 most well known Dutch pop or rock songs, how many would the average American/Canadian recognize?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/12 at 2:56 pm

Have you ever been to Buinen?  I have a friend that lives there, and she is gorgeous (both inside and out).

Written By: Henk on 10/13/12 at 4:33 pm

What's your favorite Dutch singer/band of all time? 

That's a seriously difficult question... I have to think about it.

If if you were to create a list of the top 10 most well known Dutch pop or rock songs, how many would the average American/Canadian recognize?

I'm not sure. You mean a Top 10 of Dutch songs/tunes that are internationally known, or just any Dutch songs?  ??? I think the latter would include a lot of original Dutch songs that never made it abroad. There may be one or two that sound familiar, but even that is highly uncertain. Heck, I can't even begin to think what would be on said list!

However, if you meant the first... That would also be hard to say, as I'm not sure what the average American/Canadian knows. :-\\
That list would undoubtedly include "Venus", though, as well as "Paloma Blanca", "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone"... probably one or two tunes by 2 Unlimited...perhaps one or more of these as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MNlYPqkqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nRYincX-Q

Written By: Henk on 10/13/12 at 4:39 pm

Have you ever been to Buinen?  I have a friend that lives there, and she is gorgeous (both inside and out).

I've no active memory of ever being to Buinen, but having visited most of my country in the past 40-odd years - especially the province of Drenthe, where Buinen is located -, I'm inclined to believe I have been there.
I'm positive I haven't been there this year, though.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/12 at 10:29 pm

However, if you meant the first... That would also be hard to say, as I'm not sure what the average American/Canadian knows. :-\\
That list would undoubtedly include "Venus", though, as well as "Paloma Blanca", "Radar Love" and "Twilight Zone"... probably one or two tunes by 2 Unlimited...perhaps one or more of these as well:

2 Unlimited had the most hits of any Dutch act in Canada:  7 total (not including dance charts) all which made the Top 40
The first Dutch group to reach #1 in Canada was Shocking Blue with Venus in 1970.  The 2nd was Diesel with Sausalito Summernight in 1981

If my research has served me correctly, the third (and to date last) Dutch act to top the chart in Canada was 2 Unlimited with No Limit in 1992

Written By: warped on 03/20/13 at 6:42 pm

What are your favorites sports to watch on TV?
Did you ever play a sport. If so, which ones?
How many very famous  "non Dutch" fooball players play in the Dutch Football league? (past or present players)
Favorite Dutch football player of all time.
Have you attended any Dutch Football league games?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/22/13 at 10:46 pm

Anouk (from The Hague) had limited success here in America.  I really loved "Nobody's Wife" and "It's so hard" and "One Word"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFuaFNQ8K5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3ulsRgqZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymoc6oysRLM

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/22/13 at 10:56 pm

OK for my stupid question of the day - Does The Netherlands have different names... like... is it also called Holland?  I guess it's orta like how USA is also known as America and "The States" just sort of nicknames.  There are also some Caribbean islands like Aruba and Antilles that are Dutch also right?

Written By: Henk on 03/23/13 at 2:16 am

Anouk (from The Hague) had limited success here in America.  I really loved "Nobody's Wife" and "It's so hard" and "One Word"

As you might have heard or read, Anouk will be representing The Netherlands in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. Her song "Birds" is doing very well in polls (which doesn't say anything, but we remain hopeful after missing out on the final for 8 years in a row...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtOwHHDAFc

Written By: Henk on 03/23/13 at 2:42 am

What are your favorites sports to watch on TV?

Soccer would definitely be #1, followed by Formula 1 racing, speed skating and cycling. On occasion, I also like to watch any other sport where a Dutchman/Dutchwoman or Dutch team is involved with a chance of winning (like field hockey, swimming or athletics). I don't like watching tennis, basketball or golf.

Did you ever play a sport. If so, which ones?

I played soccer for about 8 years or so, but I lacked the skills and determination to make it work. I also hate being out in the rain or cold, so that didn't help. ;D
And for about one year, I played bowls. Yes, bowls - not bowling. I had to stop when I found my current job, and though I wasn't really any good at it I enjoyed playing that.

How many very famous  "non Dutch" fooball players play in the Dutch Football league? (past or present players)

Proabably too many to name. Players like Romario and Luis Suarez come to mind. The odd thing is, you often tend to forget they played in Dutch competition.

Favorite Dutch football player of all time.

Difficult question. Probably Marco van Basten - only because I've never actually seen Johan Cruyff play in his heydays.

Have you attended any Dutch Football league games?

None that I recall.

Written By: Henk on 03/23/13 at 2:59 am

OK for my stupid question of the day - Does The Netherlands have different names... like... is it also called Holland?  I guess it's orta like how USA is also known as America and "The States" just sort of nicknames. 

Yes, The Netherlands are often referred to as Holland (because it's shorter, I guess). Strictly speaking, this is incorrect, as Holland is only a part of The Netherlands. Much like New England is only part of the USA.

There are also some Caribbean islands like Aruba and Antilles that are Dutch also right?

Right. The Netherlands Antilles (consisting of Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao, Saint Eustatius, Saba and the Dutch part of Saint Maarten) officially seized to exist on 10/10/2010, though. By then, Aruba had already gained a status aparte within the Kingdom of The Netherlands (much like Puerto Rico within the USA). In 2010, Curaçao and Saint Maarten followed suit, while Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba became municipalities of The Netherlands. So technically, the latter three are now part of The Netherlands.

Written By: warped on 03/23/13 at 10:25 am

Soccer would definitely be #1, followed by Formula 1 racing, speed skating and cycling. On occasion, I also like to watch any other sport where a Dutchman/Dutchwoman or Dutch team is involved with a chance of winning (like field hockey, swimming or athletics). I don't like watching tennis, basketball or golf.

I played soccer for about 8 years or so, but I lacked the skills and determination to make it work. I also hate being out in the rain or cold, so that didn't help. ;D
And for about one year, I played bowls. Yes, bowls - not bowling. I had to stop when I found my current job, and though I wasn't really any good at it I enjoyed playing that.

Proabably too many to name. Players like Romario and Luis Suarez come to mind. The odd thing is, you often tend to forget they played in Dutch competition.

Difficult question. Probably Marco van Basten - only because I've never actually seen Johan Cruyff play in his heydays.

Ah, thanks for your answers.
I played bowls too (they call it "lawn bowling" here).
Never knew Romario played with a Netherlands team. I learned something.

Written By: Henk on 03/23/13 at 11:02 am

Ah, thanks for your answers.
I played bowls too (they call it "lawn bowling" here).

That's great!  :) I especially like playing bowls because it doesn't necessarily require a certain physique. ;)

Never knew Romario played with a Netherlands team. I learned something.

From 1988 to 1993 he played for PSV Eindhoven. In those days Dutch soccer was at a higher level than it is today (the club teams, that is - not necessarily the national squad).
Another Brazilian phenomenon that played for PSV Eindhoven was Ronaldo (1994 - 1996).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/13 at 3:52 am

Is the sport, biathalon (cross-country skiing and shooting) very popular in the Netherlands?  Or is the really not as much snow so that it isn't all that well-known?

What are the social programs like there?  Is there governmental healthcare, unemployment monies, pensions to older citizens?  What would you say is the most popular nationality of foreigners that live in the Netherlands?

Are guns allowed there?  I think that canabis smoking is legal (at least in Amsterdam) is it legal everywhere there?

What are some popular foods there?  (Probably alot of fish since it has a busy sea port...)

Written By: Henk on 03/29/13 at 7:13 am

Is the sport, biathalon (cross-country skiing and shooting) very popular in the Netherlands?  Or is the really not as much snow so that it isn't all that well-known?

Biathlon is not very popular. I believe there's only a handful of Dutchmen/-women (the Sloof family) that compete internationally, but I don't think any of them has ever even made Top 50 in any event. In general, we're much more of a skating nation than a skiing nation.

What are the social programs like there?  Is there governmental healthcare, unemployment monies, pensions to older citizens? 

Social programs are good, in general - although they're under a lot of strain lately (cuts due to the recession).
No governmental healthcare anymore. Everyone is obliged to pay for it (partially via income taxes, partially via additional healthcare insurance). Additional healthcare insurance is partially obligatory, and partially optional.
Unemployment moneys - yes, we have them, although those too are under a lot of strain. There are still too many politicians who believe cutting back on unemployment money will force more people to look for a job. Of course it doesn't (always) work that way. Right now, of course, unemployment rates are rising, and for a good reason. It's silly to think those people can find a job anywhere else.
Besides, in many cases finding a new job means losing benefits (like child care support, or house rental support), and the rise in pay (if any!) just doesn't compensate for the loss of those benefits.

What would you say is the most popular nationality of foreigners that live in the Netherlands?

This is a tricky question. I can only tell you what the most common nationalities are (as of January 1, 2012). Not sure how to interpret these statistics - I suppose this includes people with double nationalities as well as people with just one. 

1. Turkish        392,923
2. Indonesian  377,618
3. German      376,606
4. Moroccan    362,954
5. Surinamese  346,797

Are guns allowed there? 

Within certain limitations, yes. In all cases you need a permit, though, and for some categories of guns/weapons it is illegal to carry them (although you can have them at home, provided you have the right permit).
Penalties for misconduct have gone up dramatically in recent years.

I think that canabis smoking is legal (at least in Amsterdam) is it legal everywhere there?

It is a common misconception to think smoking cannabis is legal. It is not - but it is tolerated in registered coffee shops. Smoking cannabis anywhere else (except in your own home) is illegal.
Owning cannabis is also illegal. That is why you have to smoke it in the coffee shops.

What are some popular foods there?  (Probably alot of fish since it has a busy sea port...)

Not sure. Easy, fast and simple straightforward food, I suppose. There is a thing like traditional Dutch cuisine, but there's not much to it: stamppot (Mash Pot), poffertjes, Dutch apple pie and oliebollen... they don't require much cooking skills. ;)

Oddly enough, fish is not a particularly popular dish in The Netherlands. We actually prefer meat.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/13 at 1:10 pm

As you might have heard or read, Anouk will be representing The Netherlands in this year's Eurovision Song Contest. Her song "Birds" is doing very well in polls (which doesn't say anything, but we remain hopeful after missing out on the final for 8 years in a row...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtOwHHDAFc

I had not heard about Anouk in Eurovision.  We get almost nil coverage of that contest here.  I don't think I'd even heard of it until I came to this message board.  Good luck to her and your country. 

Speaking of Eurovision... can you explain that to me a little more?  Does the winning country get money or a trophy or is it some sort of bragging rights..?

Written By: Henk on 05/11/13 at 2:50 am

Speaking of Eurovision... can you explain that to me a little more?  Does the winning country get money or a trophy or is it some sort of bragging rights..?

I somehow managed to miss your questions until now, Patty. Sorry about that.

The Eurovision Song Contest (ESC for short), an initiative of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), was based on/inspired by the famous Italian San Remo Festival. It was first held in 1956, with only seven countries partaking, with two songs each. In years to follow, the number of participants has dramatically increased, with up to 39 acts in recent years. This called for a change of approach, and that is why the semi-finals were introduced.
The idea behind the contest was to create more of a bond between European countries. It is open to all active members of EBU (currently 72, in 52 countries), as long as they a) broadcast the entire contest (both semi-finals and final) live; b) are (financially) able to host the event in case of a win.
In spite of the name, the EBU is not exclusively open to European countries. For example: Israel, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Jordan are also active members. Israel has even won the contest three times!

The winning country gets the honor to host the contest the next year. For some countries, that is reason enough not to partake in the contest...
The winning song writer gets an award (after all, it still is a SONG contest).

As long as there has been an ESC there has been controversy. It is hard, if not impossible, to keep people (be it the public in general or an expert jury) from rewarding a neighbouring country, regardless of the quality of the song. This seems especially true for the Balkan states (former Yugoslavia), the Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland), the Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia), and the former Eastern European countries (Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine etc.).
There is also the case of Greece and Cyprus: both countries will always award the other 12 points, no matter what.
In recent years, with televoting taking over, we've witnessed a change in voting: countries with large numbers of migratory workers now tend to vote for the country of origin. This means countries like Turkey or Armenia are getting high notes from countries like Belgium, Germany or The Netherlands.
In short: voting does not always seem to reflect the quality of the song. That is why the expert juries were reintroduced a couple of years ago. Their vote makes up 50% of total votes, the other half is decided by the public (via televoting).

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/13 at 3:12 am

I somehow managed to miss your questions until now, Patty. Sorry about that.

The Eurovision Song Contest (ESC for short), an initiative of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), was based on/inspired by the famous Italian San Remo Festival. It was first held in 1956, with only seven countries partaking, with two songs each. In years to follow, the number of participants has dramatically increased, with up to 39 acts in recent years. This called for a change of approach, and that is why the semi-finals were introduced.
The idea behind the contest was to create more of a bond between European countries. It is open to all active members of EBU (currently 72, in 52 countries), as long as they a) broadcast the entire contest (both semi-finals and final) live; b) are (financially) able to host the event in case of a win.
In spite of the name, the EBU is not exclusively open to European countries. For example: Israel, Morocco, Algeria, Egypt and Jordan are also active members. Israel has even won the contest three times!

The winning country gets the honor to host the contest the next year. For some countries, that is reason enough not to partake in the contest...
The winning song writer gets an award (after all, it still is a SONG contest).

As long as there has been an ESC there has been controversy. It is hard, if not impossible, to keep people (be it the public in general or an expert jury) from rewarding a neighbouring country, regardless of the quality of the song. This seems especially true for the Balkan states (former Yugoslavia), the Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland), the Baltic states (Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia), and the former Eastern European countries (Russian Federation, Belarus, Ukraine etc.).
There is also the case of Greece and Cyprus: both countries will always award the other 12 points, no matter what.
In recent years, with televoting taking over, we've witnessed a change in voting: countries with large numbers of migratory workers now tend to vote for the country of origin. This means countries like Turkey or Armenia are getting high notes from countries like Belgium, Germany or The Netherlands.
In short: voting does not always seem to reflect the quality of the song. That is why the expert juries were reintroduced a couple of years ago. Their vote makes up 50% of total votes, the other half is decided by the public (via televoting).

Yes a "song" contest, over the past few years it has become a "performance" contest.

Written By: Henk on 05/11/13 at 5:22 am

Yes a "song" contest, over the past few years it has become a "performance" contest.

Which isn't a bad thing per se...  ;) And IMHO, the songs that have won in recent years rightfully did so.

That said, I think our entry this year is really all about the music. No spectacular performance, just a singer and her song. Hope it goes down well with the audiences the world all over... (I know the expert juries seem to like it, as well as the journalists)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/13 at 5:28 am

Which isn't a bad thing per se...  ;) And IMHO, the songs that have won in recent years rightfully did so.

That said, I think our entry this year is really all about the music. No spectacular performance, just a singer and her song. Hope it goes down well with the audiences the world all over... (I know the expert juries seem to like it, as well as the journalists)
I hope the British entry of Bonnie Tyler does well for this year, do remember what happen to Engelbert Humperdinck last year?

Written By: Henk on 05/11/13 at 6:11 am

I hope the British entry of Bonnie Tyler does well for this year, do remember what happen to Engelbert Humperdinck last year?

Do we WANT to remember...? ::) ;)

Written By: Henk on 07/10/13 at 5:22 am

A late update... Anouk finished 9th. Not bad at all, considering our results in the past 20 years.

Sadly, it was only slightly better than 2012...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/13 at 5:24 am

Sadly, it was only slightly better than 2012...
I reckon the UK should give up on trying to win the Eurovision Song contest.

Written By: Henk on 07/10/13 at 6:40 am

I reckon the UK should give up on trying to win the Eurovision Song contest.

Maybe that's the secret to winning... :-\\

Now that the UK has tried The Hump and Bonnie Tyler, might I make a suggestion for 2014...? Why not send Tom Jones? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/13 at 6:43 am

Maybe that's the secret to winning... :-\\

Now that the UK has tried The Hump and Bonnie Tyler, might I make a suggestion for 2014...? Why not send Tom Jones? ???
Yes, Tom Jones has proved himself popular with a younger generation with the British television talent show "The Voice", and go for it, give him a try... ?

Written By: Henk on 11/18/13 at 10:00 am

Checking checking one two one two...

Yep, it's still there. :D

Written By: warped on 11/18/13 at 5:43 pm

If you could bring 1 celeb back from the dead..who would it be?
Do you wear glasses or contacts?
If you were to travel to 1 country, where would you go?

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/18/13 at 6:41 pm

What is/are your favorite holidays?

Written By: Henk on 11/19/13 at 2:22 pm

If you could bring 1 celeb back from the dead..who would it be?

This is seriously hard question. The only person I can think of is not an international celeb, but she was a celebrity in my country: Frédérique Huydts. She was a Dutch actress who died in 2006 as a result of colon cancer. She was 38 years old - about a year younger than I was back then. That really hit me - especially since I had something of a crush on her.

Do you wear glasses or contacts?

I am myopic, so I need glasses whenever I drive. I also wear them when I watch tv.

If you were to travel to 1 country, where would you go?

I think it would be the U.S. of A. Lots of people there I'd want to meet, and lots of places I'd want to see.

Written By: Henk on 11/19/13 at 2:34 pm

What is/are your favorite holidays?

That would be Sinterklaas.

What it is? It's a traditional family gathering on the night of December 5th. People exchange surprise gifts, accompanied by funny rhymes. Children are told the gifts are brought by Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas) and his helpers, known as Zwarte Pieten. Nowadays he is said to reside in Spain (although the real Saint Nicholas was bishop of Myra in Turkey), and every year he travels to the Netherlands by steam boat.

Sounds somewhat familiar? That's because some businessman nicked "our" Saint Nick and turned him into Santa Claus!

Written By: Ripley on 11/30/13 at 12:53 am

What is/are your favorite memories from your childhood?

Written By: Henk on 12/03/13 at 4:52 am

What is/are your favorite memories from your childhood?

I've been trying very hard to come up with an answer, but the truth is I don't have a lot of memories from that period. :-\\
I must have been happy at times, 'cause I have the pictures to prove it... I just don't remember the actual moment/occasion.

Written By: Ripley on 12/27/13 at 9:24 pm

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?

Written By: Henk on 12/28/13 at 11:28 am

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?

Nope.

Written By: Ripley on 01/02/14 at 5:42 pm

Do you prefer blinds, curtains or both?

Written By: Henk on 01/03/14 at 9:58 am

Do you prefer blinds, curtains or both?

I prefer curtains, though I actually have both in my apartment. Most of the windows are too small for regular curtains, so I had roman blinds made for them. (Not something I recommend, because it turned out VERY expensive!)

Written By: warped on 01/03/14 at 6:17 pm

Right now it's really, really, really, really, really cold in Canada. It's January.  :D
What's a typical winter like in the Netherlands? How cold does it get and how much snow to you get?

Written By: warped on 01/05/14 at 4:05 pm

If you were to travel to Asia, what places/cities/tourist attractions would you go to?

Written By: Howard on 01/05/14 at 4:11 pm

Do The Netherlands ever get snow?

Written By: Henk on 01/05/14 at 4:11 pm

Right now it's really, really, really, really, really cold in Canada. It's January.  :D
What's a typical winter like in the Netherlands? How cold does it get and how much snow to you get?

If you were to travel to Asia, what places/cities/tourist attractions would you go to?

I'll answer your questions when I find the time (which is not right now! ;D :D ;))

Written By: Henk on 01/06/14 at 6:03 am

Our winters are usually relatively mild. Average temperatures for December through March are 3.7°C, 3.1°C, 3.3°C and 6.2°C respectively. On average, we get snow on 20 to 30 days a year, but not more than a couple of inches in general (mostly showery snow, when temperatures are hovering around 0°C).

Some extremes:

Highest temperature on record for December: +17.8°C (Dec. 4, 1953)
Highest temperature on record for January: +17.2°C (Jan. 16, 1947)
Highest temperature on record for February: +20.4°C (Feb. 24, 1990)
Highest temperature on record for March: +25.6°C (Mar. 29, 1968)

Lowest temperature on record for December: -22.3°C (Dec. 31, 1923)
Lowest temperature on record for January: -27.4°C (Jan. 27, 1942)
Lowest temperature on record for February: -26.8°C (Feb. 16, 1956)
Lowest temperature on record for March: -20.7°C (Mar. 4, 2005)

Warmest December ever recorded (on average): 1974 (+7.3°C)
Warmest January ever recorded (on average): 2007 (+7.1°C)
Warmest February ever recorded (on average): 1990 (+7.6°C)
Warmest March ever recorded (on average): 1991 (+8.8°C)

Coldest December ever recorded (on average): 1933 (-2.1°C)
Coldest January ever recorded (on average): 1940 (-5.5°C)
Coldest February ever recorded (on average): 1956 (-6.4°C)
Coldest March ever recorded (on average): 1917 (+1.9°C)

Coldest winter period on record: 1963 (avg. temp. -3.1°C, with 81 days of temps. below 0°C, and 70 days of a continuous layer of snow)
Warmest winter on record: 1990 (avg. temp. +6.0°C)

Most days of snow in one year: 37 (1963)
Thickest layer of snow recorded (excluding drift snow): 80cm (1987)
When including drift snow, the winter of 1979 takes the record, when complete villages were blocked and houses were snowed in up to their roof tops.

Doest that answer your questions?

MTA: In addition to this, I'll add that we are currently experiencing a very mild winter. Day highs for several January days have been broken already.

Written By: Henk on 01/06/14 at 6:04 am

See reply above.

Written By: Henk on 01/06/14 at 6:05 am

I'm not planning on traveling to Asia. Somehow the continent does not appeal to me. :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/06/14 at 7:09 am

Do you plan on visiting New York?

Written By: Henk on 01/08/14 at 5:17 am

Doest that answer your questions?

I can only assume it does. :-\\

Written By: Henk on 01/08/14 at 5:18 am

Do you plan on visiting New York?

I would really love to visit New York (as well as several other places in the US of A), but knowing me I'll probably never really get there.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/14 at 8:06 am

I would really love to visit New York (as well as several other places in the US of A), but knowing me I'll probably never really get there.

Is it the money?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/15 at 5:25 am

Is the temperature and climate of Amsterdam similar to London?

Written By: Henk on 04/22/15 at 3:07 pm

Is the temperature and climate of Amsterdam similar to London?

Generally speaking? ??? I think so, yes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/15 at 3:18 pm

Generally speaking? ??? I think so, yes.
Splendid, I thought it would be, but needed confirmation. Many thanks.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/15 at 5:16 pm

Why?

Written By: Henk on 04/27/15 at 2:38 am

Why?

Yes.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/27/15 at 5:35 pm

Yes.

:o

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/15 at 11:14 pm

What was the most successful song by a Dutch artist for 2014?

These were the Top 5 songs in 2014 by a Dutch artist that charted in Canada ...

1 | Waves (Robin Schulz Remix) - Mr. Probz
2 | Soundwave - R3hab and Trevor Guthrie
3 | Wasted - Tiesto featuring Matthew Koma
4 | Animals - Martin Garrix
5 | Red Lights - Tiesto

Written By: Henk on 05/10/15 at 1:18 am

What was the most successful song by a Dutch artist for 2014?

You mean in the Netherlands, or internationally? ??? I can only give you some insight in the Dutch market.

These were the Top 5 songs in 2014 by a Dutch artist that charted in Canada ...

1 | Waves (Robin Schulz Remix) - Mr. Probz
2 | Soundwave - R3hab and Trevor Guthrie
3 | Wasted - Tiesto featuring Matthew Koma
4 | Animals - Martin Garrix
5 | Red Lights - Tiesto

Interesting. Apart from Wasted, none of these songs made a great impact in Dutch charts in 2014. Some had already been hits in 2013 (Waves and Animals), others just weren't that big.

According to all sources, these were the biggest hits for Dutch artists in the Netherlands (though not necessarily in the same order):

Dotan - Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ZB7WF_Hko

Afrojack feat. Wrabel - Ten Feet Tall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltr_Dsk5EY

Tiesto feat. Matthew Koma - Wasted

Mr. Probz - Nothing Really Matters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLaNBbKJPfw

Chef'Special - In Your Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9txfpUhG_bw

The Common Linnets - Calm After The Storm

Nielson - Sexy Als Ik Dans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKmsZzJQJV0

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/10/15 at 2:50 am

There was an 80s singer, I think she was from the Netherlands, I found her on youtube, but I can't remember her name now.

Do you know of a female artist that sang "Black Pearl"?  It was kind of a slow jazzy song.

Written By: Henk on 05/11/15 at 1:46 am

There was an 80s singer, I think she was from the Netherlands, I found her on youtube, but I can't remember her name now.

Do you know of a female artist that sang "Black Pearl"?  It was kind of a slow jazzy song.

Sure do!  8) "Black Pearl" was a 1981 song by Margriet Eshuijs & Band. It reached #13 in the Dutch charts in 1982.
As far as her solo career goes, that was her only charting single, but prior to this she had been in a band called Lucifer. With that band she had already scored four Top 40 hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSPwMy8ngE

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/11/15 at 3:50 am

Thank you!  That's it.

I just saw a short travelouge movie (about 10 mins. long.)  It was made in 1951.  Mostly talked about the native folk of Nederland, called the Zuder Zie (or something like that.)  It was interesting seeing the families walking the top of the dykes in folk dress.  Then it talked about how many people use bicycles since it's a flat land.  Something like 300,000 bikes made a year.

Written By: Henk on 05/11/15 at 5:48 am

Thank you!  That's it.

I just saw a short travelouge movie (about 10 mins. long.)  It was made in 1951.  Mostly talked about the native folk of Nederland, called the Zuder Zie (or something like that.)  It was interesting seeing the families walking the top of the dykes in folk dress.  Then it talked about how many people use bicycles since it's a flat land.  Something like 300,000 bikes made a year.

I haven't seen it, but I presume it was about the traditional costumes of the people living around the former Zuiderzee (now called IJsselmeer). ???

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/15 at 8:09 am

The Common Linnets.  I forgot they were Dutch.  I stumbled upon them earlier this year when I decided to compile a CD of some of the biggest hits of 2014 from around the world and saw it in the UK Top 40

'Ten Feet Tall' by Afrojack and Wrabel was one of my most favourites of 2014l  It never charted in Canada, but it did make #100 in the USA

Another Dutch track I also really enjoyed in 2014 was Vandaag by Bakermat.  I stumbled upon it via the UK Top 40 and also put it (as well as that Afrojack track) on that 2014 CD I made

Written By: Henk on 05/12/15 at 10:29 am

The Common Linnets.  I forgot they were Dutch.  I stumbled upon them earlier this year when I decided to compile a CD of some of the biggest hits of 2014 from around the world and saw it in the UK Top 40

Well, they started out as a Dutch duo (Ilse DeLange and Willem Bijkerk, a.k.a. Waylon), but Waylon left because of irreconcilable musical differences and is now focusing on his solo career.
Now the band consists of Ilse DeLange and four American musicians (JB Meijers, Jake Etheridge, Rob Crosby and Matthew Crosby). I can't tell you if they're in any way related to Melissa Etheridge and/or David Crosby.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 2:55 pm

What was the first movie your saw at the cinema?

Written By: Henk on 08/06/15 at 1:21 am

What was the first movie your saw at the cinema?

That's a tough one. I can't remember going to the cinema as a child; there simply wasn't any money. As a result, I must've already been in my teens before going to a movie. One of the first movies I remember seeing was a 1982 Dutch comedy called "De Boezemvriend" (The Bosomfriend), which apparently is based on Gogol's play "The Revisor".

Written By: Ripley on 01/23/16 at 4:37 pm

I'm giving you a list of 5 items. You may choose one of them to receive as a free gift. However, you can not return them for a refund of cash. Why did you choose this item?

A. Homemade chocolate pie with whipped cream once a week for 3 months
B. Brand new Super Nintendo with your choice of 3 un-used games
C. Unlimited movie theater passes for one month
D. $100 gift card to your favorite restaurant
E. One day shopping spree to your local mall. You may fill up one regular sized shopping bag per store.

Written By: Henk on 01/24/16 at 10:14 am

I'm giving you a list of 5 items. You may choose one of them to receive as a free gift. However, you can not return them for a refund of cash. Why did you choose this item?

A. Homemade chocolate pie with whipped cream once a week for 3 months
B. Brand new Super Nintendo with your choice of 3 un-used games
C. Unlimited movie theater passes for one month
D. $100 gift card to your favorite restaurant
E. One day shopping spree to your local mall. You may fill up one regular sized shopping bag per store.

That's fairly easy: E.

A. no, sorry, don't like chocolate pie.
B. no, sorry, not much of a gamer.
C. no, sorry, I hardly ever go to the movies.
D. I couldn't name a favorite restaurant if my life depended on it!

So, all that's left is E.

Check for new replies or respond here...