inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask me about Renegade Retro

Written By: diofan on 02/22/07 at 8:27 pm

AKA Question the DJ's...or whatever you wanna call it!
At the moment, 2/3 of the DJ's active at the station post here...myself and Midas. Got a question for us....Fire away here!

For reference:
I DJ the Metal Shop Show (Hard rock/Metal)
Midas DJ's Friday Night Dance Party and Fusion (Pop/Trance/Dance/New Wave/Rock/Etc.)

Got a question about the station or any of the live shows...Give it to us!

Subject: Re: Ask me about Renegade Retro

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/22/07 at 8:38 pm

So, I know that TV9 has a mullet...what do you guys have?  :D

Written By: diofan on 02/22/07 at 8:39 pm

Well...Vamp has more hair then he knows what to do with, I have hair but a large forehead...and Midas...well....he has little NO hair!

Written By: Midas on 02/22/07 at 8:45 pm

So, I know that TV9 has a mullet...what do you guys have?  :D

Skillz.  8)

People have seen my pics.  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/22/07 at 8:53 pm

Skillz are important for an awesome radio station like Retro 8)

Written By: diofan on 02/22/07 at 9:05 pm

Hey! Love of da Muzak helps too!  :D

Oh and I posted MY Pic here too!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/23/07 at 6:14 am

How long you've been doing RR?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/23/07 at 6:58 am

People have seen my pics.  :P

I'm still recovering  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 9:27 am

The station itself has been around for at least four years that I know of.  The main DJ is ThunderVamp9, a former Penguin and now Supreme Ruler of Retropolis.  DJ Midas has been doing his Mix shows for a couple years and DJ Diofan just started but has an awesome show.

ThunderVamp9 still has the most hair. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/07 at 10:29 am

No real question here, just affirmation that it is a great station  :)

OK, I guess I thought of one

How do you do a program to broadcast to other people? What is the process?

Written By: diofan on 02/23/07 at 11:59 am

There is slight variations between Midas and myself, but the basics are similar.
Winamp and a shoutcast server are what I use. A good soundcard and mic are a MUST!
Usually immediately after My show, I start compiling a list of songs to play in my next show.
Once the list is made (Text) I make a winamp playlist with those songs. Then I Sit on that list till show time.
Once I have the server ready to go, I go to Renegade retro's station settings and set the stream to relay from my server.
Once the show is finished, I set the station settings back to the original settings.
Then I post the text playlist on RR's Forum.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 11:59 am

You can go to the Retro link in any of our sigs to contact TV9 about becoming a DJ if you got a good show idea :)

Written By: Howard on 02/23/07 at 2:26 pm

The station itself has been around for at least four years that I know of.  The main DJ is ThunderVamp9, a former Penguin and now Supreme Ruler of Retropolis.  DJ Midas has been doing his Mix shows for a couple years and DJ Diofan just started but has an awesome show.

ThunderVamp9 still has the most hair. 

I remember listening to Renegade Retro and you would make a request and they would play it for you.Those were the good old days. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 2:30 pm

They still do that, Howard!  The online request pages are down at the moment but are being worked on to make Retro more "modern" but in the meantime you can request stuff during the Saturday Night request shows.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/23/07 at 8:13 pm

Corrections:

The radio station is entering its seventh year of broadcasting, which is pretty awesome.

The old request pages etc ARE still active right now. They are linked from the RRN portal navigation menu, but for reference, here is the link to make requests: http://216.127.76.96/~admin3/retro/SAM/playlist.php

Enjoy :)

Written By: Midas on 02/23/07 at 8:59 pm

The station has been in existence for almost 7 years methinks.  ThunderVamp9 owns it.  I've been with the station for the better part of 3 1/2 years.  My show first started out as prerecorded mixes that I would send to TV9 via mp3 file.  Did that for about a year and a half (and 80 hours' worth of mixes!).  Then he set me up with the software to broadcast live.

How do you do a program to broadcast to other people? What is the process?

Like Diofan said, his process and my process (as well as TV9's show's process) are slightly different.  Mine's very free-form in that most of the time I don't plan a set list (with the exception of FUSION).  I just set up the broadcasting software, hijack the stream through Live365 and whatever comes to mind to play I'll play, or if requests come in during my show if I have it on vinyl or CD I'll play it.  I don't use mp3 files during the show.  Everything is vinyl or CD and mixed live as you hear it. :)

The regular programming itself...I can answer to the best of my knowledge about this since I don't specifically do it, but I'm guessin TV9 has some folder of mp3 files that are considered (or he has the file tagged as) a hit or single from the 80's (or 70's or 90's, as we have a little bit of that).  Those mp3s are set up for the regular programming (approx. 3200 songs).  the other 7500 are non-hits (album cuts, b-sides and the like) that won't be played unless requested through the website.

Requests can be made 24/7 (with the exception of some live shows) and usually play within 45 minutes of being requested. :)

Written By: diofan on 02/24/07 at 12:34 am

I don't use mp3 files during the show.  Everything is vinyl or CD and mixed live as you hear it. :)

Whereas I'm the exact Opposite. ALL audio files except live voiceovers are on MP3!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/07 at 6:48 am

How many requests do you get a day?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/24/07 at 11:52 am

You don't need an FCC license to be a DJ on the internet do you?  I used to have one when I was a DJ in high school (20 years ago).

Written By: diofan on 02/24/07 at 11:58 am

How many requests do you get a day?

If it's how many does each person get to make, the answer is 6 per hour, or 144 per day.
If it's how many we get a day, we average about 10 - 15 per day.

You don't need an FCC license to be a DJ on the internet do you?  I used to have one when I was a DJ in high school (20 years ago).

No FCC License required for Internet Radio. Given the vast realm of the Internet, It would be a logistical Nightmare for the FCC to enforce anything on the internet. Add to the fact many Online stations outside the United States are on the air and the FCC would have ZERO Control over them.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/24/07 at 6:07 pm

Just FYI:

The old request pages have been inactivated as the site has moved to a new domain, so you can now make your requests through http://www.renegaderetro.com/

This does require you to register (free) and that's to prevent spambots and idiots requesting blocks of Michael Bolton :D

Written By: Howard on 02/25/07 at 6:44 am

Just FYI:

The old request pages have been inactivated as the site has moved to a new domain, so you can now make your requests through http://www.renegaderetro.com/

This does require you to register (free) and that's to prevent spambots and idiots requesting blocks of Michael Bolton :D

Nice looking website. :)

Written By: diofan on 02/27/07 at 2:52 am

UPDATE: Metal Shop has moved back to it's old slot of 10 PM EST Sundays effective Immediately!

Written By: Howard on 02/27/07 at 6:41 am

I always enjoyed those funny commercials in between with the drunk guy singing then belching and vomiting. ;D

Written By: Midas on 02/27/07 at 10:14 am

I always enjoyed those funny commercials in between with the drunk guy singing then beclhing and vomiting. ;D

That's ThunderVamp9.  He's a lightweight.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/27/07 at 11:54 am

That's ThunderVamp9.  He's a lightweight.  ;D

Where'd you come with the idea for that commercial?

Written By: Midas on 02/27/07 at 1:09 pm

Where'd you come with the idea for that commercial?

Oh I was totally kidding about that being TV9.  If I'm not mistaken, the commercial snippet idea came from his former partner, Wolfman, who now runs Renegade Radio, a Country hits station.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/07 at 5:37 pm

FYI: There is a Live Request show tonight at 10 PM Eastern, feel free to PM me, go to the links in my signature, or post here if you want to know how to listen and request some flippin' sweet tunes.

Written By: spaceace on 03/03/07 at 5:51 pm

How is it that the smiley on the end of my messages has been changed from a spaceship to a smile holding up a B.S. sign?  How can I close the account??? >:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/07 at 5:54 pm

How is it that the smiley on the end of my messages has been changed from a spaceship to a smile holding up a B.S. sign?  How can I close the account??? >:(

Wait, what happened?  :( ???

Written By: spaceace on 03/03/07 at 5:56 pm

Wait, what happened?  :( ???

Every time I reply on a thread a smile holding up a b.s. sign appears instead of the spaceship.  Take a look for yourself Rice.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/07 at 5:57 pm

Every time I reply on a thread a smile holding up a b.s. sign appears instead of the spaceship.  Take a look for yourself Rice.

I just saw.  Let me see if I can help you...you don't need to close the account, just let one of us know on the board if you have an issue and it'll be solved ASAP :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/03/07 at 6:13 pm

Fixed it for ya :)  Sorry for the mixup, dunno what happened there.

Written By: spaceace on 03/03/07 at 7:57 pm

Fixed it for ya :)  Sorry for the mixup, dunno what happened there.

Okie dokie. :)  Thank you. :)

Written By: diofan on 03/04/07 at 11:20 am

Tonight! 7 PM Pacific / 10 PM Eastern...METAL SHOP! Tonight I will be playing Thrash/Speed/Doom Metal from the 80s and 90s.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/04/07 at 8:51 pm

Metal Shop is going on the air in about 10-15 minutes.  Join us in chat!  :)

Written By: diofan on 08/13/11 at 1:07 am

Diofan here...I've been back at the helm of Renegade Retro's Metal Shop For over a year now. Wasn't until Midas brought it up, that I thought to even post about it. But the show airs every other Friday at 10 PM Eastern (7 PM for those on the west coast). Next one is August 19th. Hope to see folks there.

The show is  different from the last time I was on air. Better equipment, BIGGER Library of tracks and TOTALLY LIVE (Screw Ups and all LOL)!

http://www.renegaderetro.com

Check for new replies or respond here...