inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Me About Song Parodies...

Written By: Matthias on 03/26/07 at 8:10 am

Do you have any questions at all about...
Amiright.com?
Weird Al?
Cledus T. Judd?
Bob Rivers?
Tom Lehrer?

If I can answer it I will, or at least do my best
If I can't.... Mo wells.

Subject: Re: Ask Me About Song Parodies...

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/26/07 at 10:45 am

Aggie is not into country music.

But Cledus T. Judd...should Aggie care?

(The greatest country parody artists were Homer & Jethro and Pinkard & Bowdin, IMHO.)

Written By: nally on 03/26/07 at 10:58 am

Do you have any questions at all about...
Amiright.com?
Weird Al?

Why yes... have you seen Weird Al in concert? If so, what was it like?

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/26/07 at 11:36 am

I don't consider Tom Lehrer a parody artist. ??? He's only done one true song parody, "The Elements", set to Amiright's favorite "IATVMOAMMG". I'd call him a "satirical songwriter".

Sorry I don't have any real question here, just a nitpick. :)

Written By: Matthias on 03/26/07 at 12:51 pm

Aggie is not into country music.

But Cledus T. Judd...should Aggie care?

(The greatest country parody artists were Homer & Jethro and Pinkard & Bowdin, IMHO.)

Yes, because he doesn't do just parodies of country songs, but he does a few originals such as, "The First Redneck On The Internet", and "Starkissed"
And he even does a few non-funny songs, such as, "Funny Man", which is a serious song about what it is like to be a song parody artist

Both "Starkissed" and "Funny Man" are on his "Bipolor And Proud" album

Written By: Matthias on 03/26/07 at 12:54 pm

Why yes... have you seen Weird Al in concert? If so, what was it like?

I have seen Weird Al in concert, and I'm saddened by the fact that he isn't coming to Cleveland on his "Straight Outta Lynwood" trip
He is so much better in concert, because he pulls out all the stop in order to make you laugh.
She shows you movies on a large screen that you would never get to see unless you went to the concert.
He's an amazing performer

Written By: Matthias on 03/26/07 at 12:55 pm

I don't consider Tom Lehrer a parody artist. ??? He's only done one true song parody, "The Elements", set to Amiright's favorite "IATVMOAMMG". I'd call him a "satirical songwriter".

Sorry I don't have any real question here, just a nitpick. :)

He is a parody writer, because he does Insturmental parodies to famous classical songs such as, "Camp Granada"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/26/07 at 1:17 pm

He is a parody writer, because he does Insturmental parodies to famous classical songs such as, "Camp Granada"

Oh I love that song.

My question, how does one go about writing a parody?  Yesterday I came up with a parody of one line from a Blue Oyster Cult song...but that is it.  It seems overwhelming to parody a WHOLE song to me.  How do I begin?

Written By: Matthias on 03/26/07 at 1:44 pm

Oh I love that song.

My question, how does one go about writing a parody?  Yesterday I came up with a parody of one line from a Blue Oyster Cult song...but that is it.  It seems overwhelming to parody a WHOLE song to me.  How do I begin?

You have to come up with a good idea, that many possible other ideas can branch off of
You should keep your parodies vague, but not too vague
It should be a topic that a lot of people are familiar with, unless you are just writing for yourself.

The writing part isn't as easy, you need to rhyme words within the song to make them fit your topic
As well as make them funny
You also need to pace by syllable count, see how many syllables are in the certain line, and make sure that your parody has the same number of syllables, or it just won't pace right

The rest is really up to you, you can do pretty much what you want to to make your parody as funny as you want it.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/05/07 at 10:07 am

Devotion To Accuracy Dept.:

Tom Lehrer did not write or perform "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" (which you refer to as "Camp Grenada"). That was by the inimitable Allan Sherman.

Lehrer has no other parodies besides "The Elements".

Written By: Howard on 04/05/07 at 1:55 pm

What songs could you do a parody of?  ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/05/07 at 5:10 pm

What songs could you do a parody of?  ???

???. What songs could you NOT do a parody of?

Written By: Howard on 04/06/07 at 6:12 am

You could basically do a parody of just about any song that comes to mind.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/06/07 at 9:15 am

You could basically do a parody of just about any song that comes to mind.

What songs could you do a parody of? 

Um, what were you posting about anyway? ??? ???

Written By: Howard on 04/06/07 at 1:53 pm

Um, what were you posting about anyway? ??? ???

About what songs from the 80's you think you could parody.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/06/07 at 3:55 pm

I think it has been said before that no song is parody-proof....whether or not it is particularly funny or interesting is a matter of technique or opinion...

So I answer with another rhetorical question...What songs of the '80s have I NOT parodied? :D

See my list for ones that HAVE BEEN...
http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/agrimorfee.shtml

Written By: nally on 04/06/07 at 3:59 pm

I, personally, would find it hard to do a parody of a song that has the lyrics sung rather fast...although I've noticed that some people have been able to. :)

Written By: nally on 04/07/07 at 12:14 am

I have seen Weird Al in concert, and I'm saddened by the fact that he isn't coming to Cleveland on his "Straight Outta Lynwood" trip
He is so much better in concert, because he pulls out all the stop in order to make you laugh.
She shows you movies on a large screen that you would never get to see unless you went to the concert.
He's an amazing performer

He sure is. I saw him at the Orange County Fair (just southeast of Los Angeles) on July 21, 1999. The show was amazing. O0

Written By: Howard on 04/07/07 at 6:39 am

I think it has been said before that no song is parody-proof....whether or not it is particularly funny or interesting is a matter of technique or opinion...

So I answer with another rhetorical question...What songs of the '80s have I NOT parodied? :D

See my list for ones that HAVE BEEN...
http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/agrimorfee.shtml

That's cool,How can I submit a parody myself? ???

Written By: nally on 04/07/07 at 12:18 pm

That's cool,How can I submit a parody myself? ???

You can visit amiright.com to make a submission. Before you do so, you must think of a song you want to parody, and then write some new lyrics to it (so that they can easily be sung to the tune of the original song), and then go submit it.

Check for new replies or respond here...