inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for recommendations

Written By: statsqueen on 03/26/07 at 6:47 pm

After I get my daughter settled into college (hopefully not the one I work at), I would like to move to the Phoenix area and teach at one of the area community colleges.  Anyone currently living in that area to provide some idea of which areas I should focus on?

Also, if there are any other single moms out there who need to vent, commiserate, or anything, feel free.  I've done it for 17 yrs, so I've picked up a few ideas and encountered a few situations along the way.  :D

Subject: Re: Looking for recommendations

Written By: Midas on 03/26/07 at 7:08 pm

I live in Phoenix, so if you need info on where to live or whatever, I can try to help you there.  Are you looking to buy a home?  My buddy's a realtor and may be able to help there if you need it.  :)

I'm currently renting a house in the North Phoenix area - older neighborhood, pretty decent despite the break-in to my truck Thursday, close to shops and I commute to North Scottsdale for work, which is about a 20-minute drive on surface streets.

As far as colleges go, I went to Paradise Valley Community College (part of Maricopa County Community Colleges) about 16 years ago.  ;D  From what I've heard though (or last I heard rather), they are usually in need of instructors.

Let me know what info you need (PM or here in the thread) and I'll try to respond in an expedient manner. ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/26/07 at 7:23 pm

I live in Phoenix, so if you need info on where to live or whatever, I can try to help you there.  Are you looking to buy a home?  My buddy's a realtor and may be able to help there if you need it.  :)

I'm currently renting a house in the North Phoenix area - older neighborhood, pretty decent despite the break-in to my truck Thursday, close to shops and I commute to North Scottsdale for work, which is about a 20-minute drive on surface streets.

As far as colleges go, I went to Paradise Valley Community College (part of Maricopa County Community Colleges) about 16 years ago.  ;D  From what I've heard though (or last I heard rather), they are usually in need of instructors.

Let me know what info you need (PM or here in the thread) and I'll try to respond in an expedient manner. ;)

That is so kind of you, Midas.  Thank you so much.  My daughter is just finishing her junior year of HS, so I won't be able to make a move for a while, but rather than just sitting here spinning my wheels, thought it couldn't hurt to find out what people have to say about the area I am interested in.  I really do appreciate your time and willingness to allow me to pick your brain about different facets of living in the desert.

Written By: Midas on 03/26/07 at 10:06 pm

That is so kind of you, Midas.  Thank you so much.  My daughter is just finishing her junior year of HS, so I won't be able to make a move for a while, but rather than just sitting here spinning my wheels, thought it couldn't hurt to find out what people have to say about the area I am interested in.  I really do appreciate your time and willingness to allow me to pick your brain about different facets of living in the desert.

You're welcome! :)

I can tell you about my experiences (good and bad) living here.  I've lived here from 1977-1991 and 2003-present.  Here's a quick list of some of the good and not so good:

300+ days of sunshine
Within driving distance to Vegas and SoCal (flying to LAX/OC or Vegas is often cheap too!)
Sedona, which is really pretty, is about an hour and a half away
Plenty of things to do around the city whether you're into sports, museums, agriculture, hiking, nightlife etc.
Plenty of good places to eat, especially if you like Mexican food.  There's a bit of Chicago transplants here too (that's where I was born) so there's some decent Chicago-style food.  I haven't found a great steak (although you would think...) or seafood place to write home about.
Traffic & transportation aren't great.  Freeways get gridlocked most of the time during rush hour.  They're working on building a light rail system but it won't be fully functional for awhile and doesn't reach to all outlying areas.  Lots of suburban sprawl.  DOT didn't plan well for all the influx of people (about 3-4 million in the metropolitan area which includes Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Carefree, Cave Creek, Surprise, Peoria, Mesa, Avondale, Goodyear, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Apache Junction and I'm sure some other burbs I missed).  People out here like their cars and would rather drive than use public transportation (the bus system's better than it was 16 years ago, but not much better from what I hear).  People drive over the speed limit constantly (myself included to keep with the flow of traffic).
We have two seasons:  Summer and Next Summer.  ;D  Seriously though, it does get hot here.  Last August we had temps around 115.  But as everyone says here, "it's a dry heat."  :D ;D  It's actually not bad if you keep yourself hydrated with fluids and if you're fair-skinned like me, keep your exposure to the sun to a minimum (and wear sunscreen).  Having a pool is a plus.
There's a fair share of rude people here but there's also a lot of friendly people.  My neighbors on each side of me are friendly and we look out for one another.

I personally like it here.  I came out in 2000 for my 10-year high school reunion and since then I had wanted to move back.  Just being here makes me feel good.  :)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/26/07 at 10:25 pm

You're welcome! :)

I can tell you about my experiences (good and bad) living here.  I've lived here from 1977-1991 and 2003-present.  Here's a quick list of some of the good and not so good:

300+ days of sunshine
Within driving distance to Vegas and SoCal (flying to LAX/OC or Vegas is often cheap too!)
Sedona, which is really pretty, is about an hour and a half away
Plenty of things to do around the city whether you're into sports, museums, agriculture, hiking, nightlife etc.
Plenty of good places to eat, especially if you like Mexican food.  There's a bit of Chicago transplants here too (that's where I was born) so there's some decent Chicago-style food.  I haven't found a great steak (although you would think...) or seafood place to write home about.
Traffic & transportation aren't great.  Freeways get gridlocked most of the time during rush hour.  They're working on building a light rail system but it won't be fully functional for awhile and doesn't reach to all outlying areas.  Lots of suburban sprawl.  DOT didn't plan well for all the influx of people (about 3-4 million in the metropolitan area which includes Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Carefree, Cave Creek, Surprise, Peoria, Mesa, Avondale, Goodyear, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Apache Junction and I'm sure some other burbs I missed).  People out here like their cars and would rather drive than use public transportation (the bus system's better than it was 16 years ago, but not much better from what I hear).  People drive over the speed limit constantly (myself included to keep with the flow of traffic).
We have two seasons:  Summer and Next Summer.  ;D  Seriously though, it does get hot here.  Last August we had temps around 115.  But as everyone says here, "it's a dry heat."  :D ;D  It's actually not bad if you keep yourself hydrated with fluids and if you're fair-skinned like me, keep your exposure to the sun to a minimum (and wear sunscreen).  Having a pool is a plus.
There's a fair share of rude people here but there's also a lot of friendly people.  My neighbors on each side of me are friendly and we look out for one another.

I personally like it here.  I came out in 2000 for my 10-year high school reunion and since then I had wanted to move back.  Just being here makes me feel good.  :)

You make it sound like heaven, Midas...although I admit to already feeling like it was pretty close.  I spent exactly 24 hrs out there for a job interview at ASU's main campus in Tempe a few yrs ago and didn't want to come home.  I am fair skinned (being Irish & German) and after just 15 mins, my face was red!  But I loved every minute having had to scrape the frost off my car that morning before I left for the airport.  I have an aunt and uncle that live in Sun City (the original) and I happen to be good friends with one of your fellow Chicago transplants.  He now plays jazz in Sedona and loves it out there.  The idea of your 2 seasons beats Michigan's 2 seasons (winter and road construction).  ;D  There was a nice microbrewery that served a decent, if not great, steak in Tempe.  I don't have to worry about finding a great seafood place as I'm not into that.  I'm hoping that since it will take a few years for me to make a move (2 minimum, more if Micah doesn't get enough financial aid to go to any school but Ferris), you will be able to inform me about a ton of new and wonderful steak houses.  ;)  I imagine I am going to have to rent, at least to start (especially since I suck at any kind of home repair/maintenance).  I don't know yet what I will be able to afford as I don't know what kind of salary I will be able to earn.

I hope you know that I really appreciate all the trouble you are going to in order to fill me in on my dream location.  I hope you don't think that I am wasting your time since I won't be coming out for a while (and certainly not without a job lined up!).  I look forward to hearing more about the desert paradise you live in as time goes on.  And if you like jazz, I highly recommend checking out my friend from Chi-town, Steve Sandner.  His calendar of dates is on his website at www.sandnermusic.com

Thanks again for taking the time to break things down for me, especially in terms of traffic, road conditions, and public transportation.  I also learned on my trip out there that 2 things my apartment complex needs to come with are the pool and at least a covered car park if not a full garage.

I was bummed that Arizona moved the Cardinals to the new stadium in Glendale, because I liked the idea of seeing them at ASU's campus, but I understand why they did it.  Do you know if ticket prices are outrageous?  I love the Art Institute in Chicago, is there anything like that in the Phoenix area?  In fact, you were born in one of my favorite cities.  I grew up about an hour and a half from Chicago (in Michigan).  I am taking my daughter there next Wednesday to visit Loyola's lakeshore campus.

Anyway, thank you so much for providing such useful information and giving me someone I can go to with questions.

Written By: Midas on 03/27/07 at 1:16 am

I was just in Michigan this past weekend.  Nice and...grey.  ;D

Most if not all apartment complexes have a pool here.  There have been quite a few complexes here that have been "turned into condominiums" (translation:  uhhh, you're buying an apartment.  ::) )  Never really understood that.

The AZ Cardinals' site doesn't break down single-game ticket prices as they go on sale mid-summer (and the site boasts that they expect to sell quickly) but season tickets run anywhere from $60/game on up.  It's gonna be crazy out that way for Super Bowl come February.

I haven't been to the Phoenix Art Museum in about 16 years, and doubt that it equates to the Art Institute of Chicago, but they've renovated and expanded since then.  I'll have to check it out.

I'll also have to check out Steve next time I'm up in Sedona.  Thanks for the link! :)

Other good and not-so-good stuff:

For the most part the city is set up on a grid.  For Phoenix proper, Central Ave & Washington St is the zero point.  Roads that run north-south are numbered--to the west of Central they're designated by Ave, Drive & Lane.  To the East of Central they're designated by Street, Place and Way.  And the addresses on the streets that run east-west coordinate with the numbered streets (ie 4300 W Camelback is at 43rd Ave & Camelback, 3203 E Indian School Rd is at 32nd St & Indian School).  A lot of the main streets run the course of the city and suburbs and don't change names (Thomas Rd runs all the way from Litchfield Park (west) to Mesa (east).
Long ago people moved here to help them with allergies.  With the rapid growth and people bringing in non-native plants that is no longer the case.
Downtown always seems to have an infamous "brown cloud" overhead.
Monsoon season (usually late June/early July 'til mid-September) can bring nasty storms and...haboobs (yes, haboobs...BIG crazy walls o' dust; there's some wicked pictures on the net - just Google 'phoenix haboob').
You're often able to wear shorts at Christmas without freezing.  ;D

In the 17 years I've lived here I've lived in Glendale (Deer Valley area), West Phoenix (67th Ave & Camelback Rd area, which I wouldn't recommend; it was okay from 1978-1981 but I wouldn't hang out over that way now) and North Phoenix (Paradise Valley area, which is where I lived when I moved away and where I came back to (I'm about 3 miles from my old house).  My brother lives 1/2 mile away from me and my sister lives in Glendale near Glendale Community College, and is in a nice neighborhood.

The only other thing I can think of for now is when you do decide to move here, plan carefully where you decide to live relative to where you work, if possible.  I have co-workers that commute an hour or sometimes more each day (most of that due to traffic congestion).

Hope this helps, statsqueen!  :)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 8:50 am

I was just in Michigan this past weekend.  Nice and...grey.  ;D

Most if not all apartment complexes have a pool here.  There have been quite a few complexes here that have been "turned into condominiums" (translation:  uhhh, you're buying an apartment.  ::) )  Never really understood that.

The AZ Cardinals' site doesn't break down single-game ticket prices as they go on sale mid-summer (and the site boasts that they expect to sell quickly) but season tickets run anywhere from $60/game on up.  It's gonna be crazy out that way for Super Bowl come February.

I haven't been to the Phoenix Art Museum in about 16 years, and doubt that it equates to the Art Institute of Chicago, but they've renovated and expanded since then.  I'll have to check it out.

I'll also have to check out Steve next time I'm up in Sedona.  Thanks for the link! :)

Other good and not-so-good stuff:

For the most part the city is set up on a grid.  For Phoenix proper, Central Ave & Washington St is the zero point.  Roads that run north-south are numbered--to the west of Central they're designated by Ave, Drive & Lane.  To the East of Central they're designated by Street, Place and Way.  And the addresses on the streets that run east-west coordinate with the numbered streets (ie 4300 W Camelback is at 43rd Ave & Camelback, 3203 E Indian School Rd is at 32nd St & Indian School).  A lot of the main streets run the course of the city and suburbs and don't change names (Thomas Rd runs all the way from Litchfield Park (west) to Mesa (east).
Long ago people moved here to help them with allergies.  With the rapid growth and people bringing in non-native plants that is no longer the case.
Downtown always seems to have an infamous "brown cloud" overhead.
Monsoon season (usually late June/early July 'til mid-September) can bring nasty storms and...haboobs (yes, haboobs...BIG crazy walls o' dust; there's some wicked pictures on the net - just Google 'phoenix haboob').
You're often able to wear shorts at Christmas without freezing.  ;D

In the 17 years I've lived here I've lived in Glendale (Deer Valley area), West Phoenix (Camelback Rd area, which I wouldn't recommend; it was okay from 1978-1981 but I wouldn't hang out over that way now) and North Phoenix (Paradise Valley area, which is where I lived when I moved away and where I came back to (I'm about 3 miles from my old house).  My brother lives 1/2 mile away from me and my sister lives in Glendale near Glendale Community College, and is in a nice neighborhood.

The only other thing I can think of for now is when you do decide to move here, plan carefully where you decide to live relative to where you work, if possible.  I have co-workers that commute an hour or sometimes more each day (most of that due to traffic congestion).

Hope this helps, statsqueen!  :)

It helps more than you know, Midas...and please feel free to call me Amy.  You must have left before Sunday afternoon when it was gorgeous!  May I ask what part of MI you visited (no need to tell me if you don't want!)?

Thanks for the link to the Phoenix Art Museum and what to google for the storms, I look forward to checking them out.

You hit the nail right on the head.  I know it is difficult doing this years in advance-especially when I don't know exactly where I will be working, but that's why I am trying to get a head start...so I know what areas I specifically should avoid and which I should strive for.  I know this is going to be a difficult question as each area will have its own median, but can you give me a rough ballpark of the kind of salary I might need to have an apt in a not-high-end-not-low-end apt?  If not, don't worry...I understand they are going to run the spectrum and probably change in the next couple years anyway.  I don't even know why I am teasing myself with the prospect of moving down there so long before it happens...I just want to be there so badly!

Hey, if you do get to Sedona to hear Steve, please tell him I told you about him and that I send my best.  I am also looking forward to his new CD.

It was gorgeous here yesterday---low 70s.  However, it is grey today and rain is predicted for later this week (figures, I'm on vacation!).

Hope all is well in the desert!  Thanks for taking so much time to help an anxious transplant!

Written By: Midas on 03/27/07 at 10:10 am

It helps more than you know, Midas...and please feel free to call me Amy.  You must have left before Sunday afternoon when it was gorgeous!  May I ask what part of MI you visited (no need to tell me if you don't want!)?

Thanks for the link to the Phoenix Art Museum and what to google for the storms, I look forward to checking them out.

You hit the nail right on the head.  I know it is difficult doing this years in advance-especially when I don't know exactly where I will be working, but that's why I am trying to get a head start...so I know what areas I specifically should avoid and which I should strive for.  I know this is going to be a difficult question as each area will have its own median, but can you give me a rough ballpark of the kind of salary I might need to have an apt in a not-high-end-not-low-end apt?  If not, don't worry...I understand they are going to run the spectrum and probably change in the next couple years anyway.  I don't even know why I am teasing myself with the prospect of moving down there so long before it happens...I just want to be there so badly!

Hey, if you do get to Sedona to hear Steve, please tell him I told you about him and that I send my best.  I am also looking forward to his new CD.

It was gorgeous here yesterday---low 70s.  However, it is grey today and rain is predicted for later this week (figures, I'm on vacation!).

Hope all is well in the desert!  Thanks for taking so much time to help an anxious transplant!

Thanks Amy!  My name is Patrick, btw. :) 

I stayed in Wixom and ventured over to Novi and Fabulous Ferndale for Mega 80's at Magic Bag Saturday night :D  There was a little bit of sun Sunday afternoon.  I left Monday morning.

I haven't lived in apartments here, but from what I see online relative to decent locations rent can run around $700/month on up.

My truck didn't start today so I'm home from work.  It's nice and sunny  8) with a high of 74F today.  Currently 63F at 8:10 AM.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 10:35 am

Thanks Amy!  My name is Patrick, btw. :) 

I stayed in Wixom and ventured over to Novi and Fabulous Ferndale for Mega 80's at Magic Bag Saturday night :D  There was a little bit of sun Sunday afternoon.  I left Monday morning.

I haven't lived in apartments here, but from what I see online relative to decent locations rent can run around $700/month on up.

My truck didn't start today so I'm home from work.  It's nice and sunny  8) with a high of 74F today.  Currently 63F at 8:10 AM.

Nice to meet you (formally), Patrick.  ;D  So you were on the concrete side of the state.  My brother lives over in that area.  I used to drive through Wixom to get to his place.  He works at Bally's in Novi (just moved to Troy).  It is usually warmer over there than it is here (I only know this because the jazz station I listen to via my pc is in Detroit, so I always hear their weather, etc.)  It is 63 and fair here (I see the sun trying to get through the clouds).  The high is predicted to be in the low 70s but cloudy  8)

Sorry to hear about your truck, but nice you can be home.  I was home yesterday with the flu.  Back at work today.  ::)

Hope you have a good day.  Look forward to hearing from you when you have time.  Thanks again for everything!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/07 at 11:27 am

Just out of curiosity, what do you teach? My husband (board member Don Carlos) is a retired History professor. He taught Latin American History.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 11:30 am

Just out of curiosity, what do you teach? My husband (board member Don Carlos) is a retired History professor. He taught Latin American History.

Cat

I just got my Master's in Career & Technical Education Dec 06.  I work at a 4-yr institution so all I've been able to teach thus far is the Freshman seminar in the fall semester every year.  My ideal would be an intro class to Celtic Studies, but that is going to prove hard to find this side of the pond.  I have a BA in Psych.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/07 at 11:34 am

I just got my Master's in Career & Technical Education Dec 06.  I work at a 4-yr institution so all I've been able to teach thus far is the Freshman seminar in the fall semester every year.  My ideal would be an intro class to Celtic Studies, but that is going to prove hard to find this side of the pond.  I have a BA in Psych.  :)

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 11:46 am

Way cool.

Cat

Thanks, Cat!  My daughter thinks so, too.  I will, too, if/when I can find a job that makes it useful.  I really want to teach and can accept the fact that it will have to be at a CC because quite frankly, I have been doing the college thing almost non-stop since I was 17 (39 now) and am ready for a break! (I have 3 degrees now...I need a break before I decide to do the PhD thing.)  ;D    :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/07 at 11:50 am

Thanks, Cat!  My daughter thinks so, too.  I will, too, if/when I can find a job that makes it useful.  I really want to teach and can accept the fact that it will have to be at a CC because quite frankly, I have been doing the college thing almost non-stop since I was 17 (39 now) and am ready for a break! (I have 3 degrees now...I need a break before I decide to do the PhD thing.)  ;D    :o

Right after I got my B.A. I went on to my M.A. I got burnt out and took a break. That was about 7 years ago and I still haven't gone back.  :-[  Maybe someday but it just isn't as important to me as it used to be.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 03/27/07 at 1:20 pm

Right after I got my B.A. I went on to my M.A. I got burnt out and took a break. That was about 7 years ago and I still haven't gone back.  :-[  Maybe someday but it just isn't as important to me as it used to be.

Cat

I know exactly what you mean.  Got my BA in 89, AAS in 94, MSCTE in 06 and took classes in between for various reasons (mostly work-related).  :)  Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one!

Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 8:05 pm

Hey Midas, truck fixed yet? 

Written By: Midas on 03/28/07 at 8:44 pm

Hey Midas, truck fixed yet? 

Yeppers.  I called Safelite today and got their national call center (which wasn't much help at all ::) ) but went by the shop after work and the guy had the plug for the door.  And then he's all, "yeah I tried to catch you before you left Monday" so I told him that they had my phone number and why didn't he call?  Idiot.  ::)

In the meantime my brother (who's a mechanic) MacGuyvered the unplugged hole with an earplug :D

Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 9:07 pm

Yeppers.  I called Safelite today and got their national call center (which wasn't much help at all ::) ) but went by the shop after work and the guy had the plug for the door.  And then he's all, "yeah I tried to catch you before you left Monday" so I told him that they had my phone number and why didn't he call?  Idiot.  ::)

In the meantime my brother (who's a mechanic) MacGuyvered the unplugged hole with an earplug :D

Kinda makes you wonder how people function with only 2 brain cells to rub together, eh?  :D  Well, I guess it pays to know people.  Gald your brother could help you out.  Not only does my brother live on the other side of the state (so about a 4 hr drive--1 way), but he is mechanically inept.    ;D  Well, I'm glad it is fixed and getting you from A to B.

It took having to stay til 6 (I usually get out at 5), but I could walk away from my desk with a clear conscience  :D  I am on vacation for 10 days!

Written By: Midas on 03/28/07 at 9:36 pm

It took having to stay til 6 (I usually get out at 5), but I could walk away from my desk with a clear conscience  :D  I am on vacation for 10 days!

Woohoo!  Enjoy!  I'm taking this Friday off as I have a checkup at the doctor's office.  Hopefully he'll tell me everything's cool.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/28/07 at 10:02 pm

Woohoo!  Enjoy!  I'm taking this Friday off as I have a checkup at the doctor's office.  Hopefully he'll tell me everything's cool.

I hope it goes well.  Tomorrow is my daughter's appt w/ orthopedist and Friday afternoon is her appt with the eye people.  ;D

I'll be around if you want to chat.  ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/07 at 9:39 am

I always thought Pheonix looked intersting ever since watching Alice in the 70s.  I wonder if anyone ever capitalized on the idea and opened a Mel's Diner in Pheonix?  I'd go there.  ;D

Written By: Midas on 03/29/07 at 11:06 pm

I always thought Pheonix looked intersting ever since watching Alice in the 70s.  I wonder if anyone ever capitalized on the idea and opened a Mel's Diner in Pheonix?  I'd go there.  ;D

There used to be one in downtown Phoenix off McDowell & Grand Ave.  I don't think it's open anymore.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/17/07 at 5:06 am

Hiya, Statsqueen!

I lived in Phoenix, many years ago.
I imagine it's just as picturesque and HOT as it was those years agone!
Unfortunately, I was in Grade School, at the time (Landmark Elementary).

I also lived in a place, called Sierra Vista.

If you like HOT, jumping, and HOT, then Phoenix is the place for ya!

Hope to see you around!
Hawk/Wayne

Written By: Howard on 04/17/07 at 6:45 am

Hiya, Statsqueen!

Hope to see you around!
Hawk/Wayne

How hot does Phoenix get temperature-wise? ???

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/07 at 2:17 pm

How hot does Phoenix get temperature-wise? ???

Howard,

What I've heard from my relatives and TV is that it can get up in the 120s!!!!!  :D

Written By: Howard on 04/17/07 at 2:44 pm

Howard,

What I've heard from my relatives and TV is that it can get up in the 120s!!!!!   :D

Wow,Now That's hot! :o :P

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/07 at 3:53 pm

Wow,Now That's hot! :o :P

lol I know, doesn't it sound wonderful?  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/07 at 3:59 pm

Hiya, Statsqueen!

Hope to see you around!
Hawk/Wayne

Sierra Vista sounds like a beautiful place.  And yes, I want "HOT, jumping, and HOT"!!!!  ;D  Tired of being cold all the time  :)  I'm looking forward to when I can find a job and move there, whenever that may be....  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/07 at 5:00 pm

Howard,

What I've heard from my relatives and TV is that it can get up in the 120s!!!!!  :D

Yeah, but it is a dry heat.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:LoHdfBauM-PVsM:http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/images/_42353_SKELETON.jpg

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 04/17/07 at 5:13 pm

What I've heard from my relatives and TV is that it can get up in the 120s!!!!!   :D

120 is high-end average weather, there.
Very dry heat, and very little shade!

When I lived there, I used our backyard pool A LOT./i]

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/07 at 7:26 pm

Yeah, but it is a dry heat.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:LoHdfBauM-PVsM:http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/images/_42353_SKELETON.jpg

Cat

Exactly, Cat!  I was in Tempe for literally 24 hrs a few yrs ago at the end of May.  By 2pm the temp was in the 90s.  In less than 15 mins in the sun my face was red (I'm very fair skinned).  I wouldn't have traded a minute of it!

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/07 at 7:28 pm

120 is high-end average weather, there.
Very dry heat, and very little shade!

When I lived there, I used our backyard pool A LOT./i]

It sounds like paradise to me.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/17/07 at 10:10 pm

It sounds like paradise to me.   ;D

It wouldn't be paradise in New York. :P

Written By: Howard on 04/17/07 at 10:11 pm

lol I know, doesn't it sound wonderful?   ;)

No Way.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/18/07 at 7:32 am

It wouldn't be paradise in New York. :P

120 wouldn't be paradise in MI either with the humidity that we get!  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 04/18/07 at 7:38 am

No Way.

Ah well, to each his own.  I personally have lived in MI all my life and am tired of winter lasting 6 months (it is wrong for kids to have a snow day in April).  :o    I know I am going to have to put up w/ MI weather for a while longer depending on where Micah goes to college and I can do that--as long as I know that there is an end in sight somewhere.  I don't know how many yrs it will be before I can move down there, but move down there I will.    :)  And hey, if the snow gets too much for you, you can come visit for a couple days when I'm sitting outside in the 70 degree weather while you are bundled up against wind chills below zero!  ;)

Someday......... 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/07 at 12:07 pm

Personally, I don't do heat very well. My theory is, if it is cold, you can always throw on another blanket or sweater but when it is hot, there is just so much you can take off. But, I do understand that some people thrive in heat. I'm just not one of them.

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 04/18/07 at 2:26 pm

Personally, I don't do heat very well. My theory is, if it is cold, you can always throw on another blanket or sweater but when it is hot, there is just so much you can take off. But, I do understand that some people thrive in heat. I'm just not one of them.

Cat

Cat,

lol I totally respect that heat isn't for everyone...which is why I am waiting until after Micah goes to college---because she is of the same mindset as you are.  She doesn't like winter, but it doesn't bother her like it bothers me.  I told her that if she goes to FSU or Chicago, I will stay here until she graduates college and moves away.  If she goes to college in PA or NC, though, I am going to start sending resumes out as soon as she leaves!  ;D

Amy

Written By: Howard on 04/18/07 at 6:41 pm

120 wouldn't be paradise in MI either with the humidity that we get!   ;)

We get very high humidity. :P

Written By: statsqueen on 04/19/07 at 8:23 am

We get very high humidity. :P

And doesn't all the concrete, etc. make it feel worse than what it is because there is no way for air to move around?  Don't get me wrong, I got to visit Manhattan on 3 day trips and had a wonderful time each visit.  My longest day trip was on a July 5, but I have no complaints about the weather or anything.  It was definitely one of the best days I had ever had.  We covered so much ground (on foot)--saw a bunch of things I wanted to see but never the same thing twice.  Keep in mind we did it without maps or any particular sense of direction!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/19/07 at 8:06 pm

And doesn't all the concrete, etc. make it feel worse than what it is because there is no way for air to move around?  Don't get me wrong, I got to visit Manhattan on 3 day trips and had a wonderful time each visit.  My longest day trip was on a July 5, but I have no complaints about the weather or anything.  It was definitely one of the best days I had ever had.  We covered so much ground (on foot)--saw a bunch of things I wanted to see but never the same thing twice.  Keep in mind we did it without maps or any particular sense of direction!   ;D

And how was the weather that day?

Written By: statsqueen on 04/20/07 at 7:28 am

And how was the weather that day?

Bearing in mind that it was back in 86, my memory is that it was perfect that day.  It wasn't too hot or windy-it was a great day to walk all over.  What I found funny is that even without a map or sense of direction we found all the "spots" I wanted to see (mostly from hearing about them on TV, movies, etc.).  We didn't go to the top of the Empire State, but we walked by it.  What was funny was that we were on the opposite side of Central Park from where we were going to get picked up by my friend's employer, so we had to hurry to make it at the designated time--and we did.  :)  One of my best memories--just wish we had had more time to explore more deeply (with a map).  It was a wonderful day.  I would love to go back and visit (being able to spend more than 7 hrs there of course).

Check for new replies or respond here...