inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ask Red Ant about anything...

Written By: Red Ant on 05/17/07 at 11:18 pm

Ask me whatever you want, and I'll reply as best I can.

Subject: Re: Ask Red Ant about anything...

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/07 at 12:21 am

Allow me to be the first ...

How did you get the name Red Ant?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 12:35 am

Allow me to be the first ...

How did you get the name Red Ant?

The name "Red Ant" was given to me by my best friend, Dave, over 10 years ago, for several reasons:

One, I have red hair (and red is generally nature's way of saying "Don't mess with me or you will be sorry"). Also red-heads generally have high tempers as well (though I'm working on it).

The "Ant" part is while I am not a small person physically, I'm of less than average height (5'9") Also that came from one time when I was gardening and got fire ants on me and they gave me a "warm greeting".

I liked the moniker so I have used it since that day on.

I've considered legally changing my middle name to "Red Ant", because Red Ant is much cooler than my birth-given middle name (don't ask what it is 'cause I'm NOT telling!!)

Written By: karen on 05/18/07 at 3:21 am

I've considered legally changing my name to Jack "Red Ant" Fletcher, because Red Ant is much cooler than my birth-given middle name (don't ask what it is 'cause I'm NOT telling!!)

Ooh ooh a challenge.  can we play twenty questions?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/07 at 5:56 am

What do you do for a living?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 10:10 am

What do you do for a living?

Right now, I do maintenance at a fairly large hotel.

Ooh ooh a challenge.  can we play twenty questions?

hmm.... I suppose we can.

Written By: karen on 05/18/07 at 10:50 am

Does your middle name start with a letter between A and M?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/07 at 10:53 am

Right now, I do maintenance at a fairly large hotel.

Sort of like porter maintainence?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 11:53 am

Yes

Sort of like porter maintainence?

No, I don't carry bags. I work on most of the hotel's equipment, including doing HVAC (window units all the up to the 64 ton unit), electrical, lighting, plumbing, pool water chemistry, door locks, safes, drywall repair, painting and so on.

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/07 at 1:38 pm

Yes

Is your middle name Melvin?

Written By: Howard on 05/18/07 at 2:37 pm

What kind of music do you listen to? 

Written By: Step-chan on 05/18/07 at 3:19 pm

What's your least favorite food?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 6:11 pm

No, thankfully.  :D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 6:13 pm

What kind of music do you listen to? 

A lot of different types, but mainly classic rock, alternative/grunge, and older metal. Really anything except disco and pop crap.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 7:32 pm

What's your least favorite food?

Tuna fish casserole holds that honor.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/18/07 at 8:31 pm

Tuna fish casserole holds that honor.

Stuff like Mandwich I really hate.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/18/07 at 8:52 pm

Stuff like Mandwich I really hate.

I haven't had that in so long I forget what it tastes like. Spam and Vienna sausages would make my top 10 least favorite foods.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/18/07 at 10:34 pm

I haven't had that in so long I forget what it tastes like. Spam and Vienna sausages would make my top 10 least favorite foods.

I've always hated how it smells, that was enough for me to avoid it.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/07 at 6:28 am

What's your favorite sitcom?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/19/07 at 10:19 pm

What's your favorite sitcom?

I don't really have one. Working evening shift means I miss most of the shows I want to watch.

Written By: nally on 05/19/07 at 10:26 pm

I don't really have one. Working evening shift means I miss most of the shows I want to watch.

Do you ever tape them so you can watch 'em later? I often do that with shows I like to watch.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/19/07 at 10:33 pm

Do you ever tape them so you can watch 'em later? I often do that with shows I like to watch.

I've done that a few times in the ancient past, but nowadays I just catch 'em on rerun, or rent the entire season on DVD and watch it over a few day's time.

Written By: nally on 05/19/07 at 10:38 pm

I've done that a few times in the ancient past, but nowadays I just catch 'em on rerun, or rent the entire season on DVD and watch it over a few day's time.

Cool. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/20/07 at 6:38 am

How do you spend your free time?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/20/07 at 10:01 pm

How do you spend your free time?

Aside from moderating here, I edit for Amiright. I also write parodies. I've recorded one as well; see my bottom sig for a link to it.

Lately I've been into watching video clips on Youtube, Ebaumsworld, NothingToxic and MuchoSucko.

Non internet things include spending time with my wife, Nicole, and our Maine Coon cat, Chris. Never thought I'd be a cat person, but he's pretty cool.

I also like cookouts, and we're getting season passes to Busch Gardens again this year - they have a killer new ride there - I can't wait to try it.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/07 at 4:57 pm

I just listened to that parody. Very good.

Written By: Howard on 05/21/07 at 10:17 pm

What parody is that? ???

Written By: Red Ant on 05/21/07 at 10:20 pm

Thanks!

What parody is that? ???

This one: Foul Mouthed Me

*caution: adult language and themes*

Written By: Howard on 05/21/07 at 10:21 pm

Thanks!

I better listen to it tomorrow,I don't want to wake my Parents.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/21/07 at 10:29 pm

Thanks!

You're welcome.

Went and found the parody submission to.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/03/07 at 3:05 am

You're welcome.

Went and found the parody submission to.

Thank you!

Wow, such deep questions here. Please, do not feel confined to ask me only PC/easy questions. I'll truthfully answer anything you want to know about me, provided you really want to know.

I was looking foward to Karen's 20 questions as well....

Written By: Howard on 06/03/07 at 6:22 am

Which is your favorite? Quicktime,Winamp Or Realplayer? ???

Written By: Red Ant on 06/03/07 at 9:55 pm

Which is your favorite? Quicktime,Winamp Or Realplayer? ???

I use Real Player more than anything else, but like the program that came with the sound card I have as well.

I don't think I have Winamp, and so few files are available for quicktime that I never have used it.

Written By: nally on 06/04/07 at 1:09 am

Thanks!

I haven't listened to it yet, mostly because I haven't had much time to take a listen to these recordings, but I'm sure it's very good. :) Also because I'm not familiar with the OS (or most of Eminem's songs for that matter).

Aside from moderating here, I edit for Amiright. I also write parodies. I've recorded one as well; see my bottom sig for a link to it.

I've seen a few of your parodies (including the one for Nirvana's "All Apologies", which spoofs every line of the song in a "mis-heard" fashion). I've written a few myself, but haven't submitted any, mostly because the ones I've written are political (and are bound to get bombarded with "1-1-1" votes; I should know, from having read most of Will Tong's stuff, which I enjoy). What's your take on political humor?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/04/07 at 3:17 am

I'm a bit biased toward politics, but not due to party affiliation: it just takes more than "Shrub is dumb" and "liberals suck" type lines to get me laughing at political pieces. I like a cleverly written (and somewhat factual) political parody no matter what side it takes. Even if I agree with a parody, that doesn't necessarily make it funny: I've given many a 534 vote to political pieces on Amiright (I suppose I'm one of the few who is outside the 111 or 555 camp there...)

As a whole, political parodies may be the most represented sub genre on Amiright: with so many done it seems hard to me for someone to come up with a different and funny angle with one. Of course, politicians are always giving parodists more material with which to work...

I'm not against political parodies, they just take much more to impress me than a non-political parody would.

Steve Bridges does really funny stand-up comedy impersonating George Bush. I think most of his material is top notch, and he does a very good impersonation.

1 votes come with 99% of all political parodies, but that's no reason to fear submitting them.  I've written several (non-political parodies) with the intention and even hope that I would get a few unobombs.

Check out that recording when you can: it's only five minutes long and sounds very much like the original.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/07 at 6:24 am

A great parody Red Ant and It was funny indeed.  ;D

Written By: nally on 06/04/07 at 1:18 pm

Alrighty then. I know you and I have talked in the past about parodies (probably in the Flashchat). Should I PM you with one of mine sometime?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/04/07 at 7:17 pm

I can't think of any deep questions at the moment. But I'll ask you one a more basic one.

Which Nirvana song do you think is the worst(out of what you've heard)?

And another note....

You've probably seen that I have a RPG concept thread(which is not related to the previous one I had awhile back last year), I'll PM you some questions later this week about it. One of the systems involves preference towards different classes.

Written By: karen on 06/05/07 at 6:13 am

I was looking foward to Karen's 20 questions as well....

I originally meant 20 questions to find out your middle name but I've changed my mind.  I'm going to work on a list of questions.

Written By: dck on 06/05/07 at 6:28 pm

O.K. you said anything so here goes. I have been trying to remember the title of a film I believe was out in the 70's. An aircraft carrier goes through a time warp and ends up just before pearl harbor is bombed.  Jets off the carrier spot two japanese planes shooting at a yacht with a senater and his secretary on it killing the captain and they get permission to shoot them down. If you don't know the name maybe you can at least tell me one of the actors in the film and I can look it up that way..
if this wasn't an ppropriate question I'm sorry

Written By: Red Ant on 06/05/07 at 10:14 pm

A great parody Red Ant and It was funny indeed.  ;D

Thanks Howard!

Alrighty then. I know you and I have talked in the past about parodies (probably in the Flashchat). Should I PM you with one of mine sometime?

Sure, I'd love to see you parodies sometime.  :)

I originally meant 20 questions to find out your middle name but I've changed my mind.  I'm going to work on a list of questions.

Oooh! That sounds ominous for some reason.  ;)

O.K. you said anything so here goes. I have been trying to remember the title of a film I believe was out in the 70's. An aircraft carrier goes through a time warp and ends up just before pearl harbor is bombed.  Jets off the carrier spot two japanese planes shooting at a yacht with a senater and his secretary on it killing the captain and they get permission to shoot them down. If you don't know the name maybe you can at least tell me one of the actors in the film and I can look it up that way..
if this wasn't an ppropriate question I'm sorry

The Movie is The Final Countdown. Here's a link to it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/

Which Nirvana song do you think is the worst (out of what you've heard)?

Hmmm, hard to pick a worst song from a favorite band of mind, but off the top of my head Beeswax and Polly (New Wave) would be down very low. Look foward to your PMs and the new RPG thread.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/07 at 6:11 am

How do you like being moderator on here?

Written By: Step-chan on 06/06/07 at 5:03 pm

Hmmm, hard to pick a worst song from a favorite band of mind, but off the top of my head Beeswax and Polly (New Wave) would be down very low. Look foward to your PMs and the new RPG thread.

I should have probably have said least favorites instead(would have made more sense than worst).

I'll do the PM in the either tommorrow or Friday, with the link and some minor description.

Written By: LittleMissUsername on 06/06/07 at 6:46 pm

Do you like the Daily Show?

Written By: Green Lantern on 06/07/07 at 8:57 am

A lot of different types, but mainly classic rock, alternative/grunge, and older metal. Really anything except disco and pop crap.

I'm not sure what 'pop crap' defines ... but I reckon probably a lot of what I love made the 'top 40's' in the 60's and beyond ...(so I hope top 40's doesn't mean it's ALL crap) ..

Also, I did (  :-[ ?? like the odd 'disco' song .. but reckon I like a lot of things .. particularly if it has an outstanding/memorable  melody ...).

Anyhow, on this point, what would you pick as your 10 favorite albums of all time?.. Hmm maybe that's too hard.. well chuck in how ever many you like.

:)

Written By: Red Ant on 06/07/07 at 9:45 am

How do you like being moderator on here?

For the most part, I like it. I've been able to thumbnail all of the arcade games that didn't have them, as well as do descriptions for a fair number, too.  There are times when being a moderator really stinks: specifically, bans.

A lot of the time I don't think about it, because there are many days when I don't need to moderate, which is fine by me.

Do you like the Daily Show?

What I've seen of it I've liked. Most times I miss it due to work hours.

I'm not sure what 'pop crap' defines ... but I reckon probably a lot of what I love made the 'top 40's' in the 60's and beyond ...(so I hope top 40's doesn't mean it's ALL crap) ..

Also, I did (  :-[ ?? like the odd 'disco' song .. but reckon I like a lot of things .. particularly if it has an outstanding/memorable  melody ...).

Anyhow, on this point, what would you pick as your 10 favorite albums of all time?.. Hmm maybe that's too hard.. well chuck in how ever many you like.

:)

Pop crap to me is any mainstream music that places more emphasis on looks than talent. ISTM that a lot of acts this past decade are more appearance than ability. Although I don't have any real numbers, I seriously doubt many artists 20 or 30 years ago would have considered lip syncing a live show. Nowadays...  >:(

Top 40 hasn't meant anything to me in about 10 years. If you got a Top 40 - 1967 CD, it would have some killer tracks on there. Top 40 of 2007 - I shudder to even think about how awful that CD would be.

Ten favorite albums of all time... let's see:

1: Dirt - Alice in Chains
2: Angel Dust - Faith No More
3: Facelift - Alice in Chains
4: Led Zeppelin 4
5: Dark Side of the Moon
6: The Seduction of Claude Debussy - Art of Noise
7: Use Your Illusion 2 - Guns N' Roses
8: Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses
9: Master of Puppets - Metallica
10: Cryptic Writings - Megadeth

Honorable mention to SPLHCB by The Beatles

Written By: karen on 06/07/07 at 10:46 am

What is the most money you have spent on one single item?

How many CD's do you own? (you can guessitmate if need be)  DVD's?

If you could meet one person off of this board, who would it be & why?

Are you left handed or right handed?

What would you rather do...go camping in the woods or stay in a hotel room in a big city?

Name three places you would like to visit (It can be a city, country, state, island, etc...)

If you were awarded 1 million dollars tomorrow, what would be the first thing you would buy?

Who is your role model now & who was it when you were a kid?

What is your favorite cartoon series?

Who is your favorite music artist from these decades: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s

Have you ever met someone in real life off of the Internet?

Are you in love?  In lust?

If you had to give up sex for one year in exchange for $5000 would you do it?

Describe your idea of the perfect mate.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What are your goals in life for the next 10 years?

Written By: Howard on 06/07/07 at 7:33 pm

What is the most money you have spent on one single item?

How many CD's do you own? (you can guessitmate if need be)  DVD's?

If you could meet one person off of this board, who would it be & why?

Are you left handed or right handed?

What would you rather do...go camping in the woods or stay in a hotel room in a big city?

Name three places you would like to visit (It can be a city, country, state, island, etc...)

If you were awarded 1 million dollars tomorrow, what would be the first thing you would buy?

Who is your role model now & who was it when you were a kid?

What is your favorite cartoon series?

Who is your favorite music artist from these decades: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s

Have you ever met someone in real life off of the Internet?

Are you in love?  In lust?

If you had to give up sex for one year in exchange for $5000 would you do it?

Describe your idea of the perfect mate.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What are your goals in life for the next 10 years?

Whoa,That's a load of questions. :o

Written By: Red Ant on 06/08/07 at 12:28 am

~ What is the most money you have spent on one single item?

Aside from a car, I spent 2900$ on a rifle about 7 years ago.

~How many CD's do you own? (you can guessitmate if need be)  DVD's?

Approximately 200 CDs, an perhaps 1000 MP3s on my hard drive. I think we've got around 40 DVDs, though I've only bought 2 myself.

~If you could meet one person off of this board, who would it be & why?

I have plans to meet Below Average Dave in the near future. There's a lot of people I'd like to meet in person, too many to narrow it down to one. I have talked to around ten members by phone though.

~Are you left handed or right handed?

Primarily right handed.

~What would you rather do...go camping in the woods or stay in a hotel room in a big city?

Depends on the time of the year. Tomorrow it will be nearly 100* here, and humid to boot. So, I would pick an air conditioned hotel room over heat stroke in a tent. In Spring and Fall I'd rather be camping.

~Name three places you would like to visit (It can be a city, country, state, island, etc...)

Yellowstone, Amsterdam, and the Virgin Islands are the three places that come to my mind right now.

~If you were awarded 1 million dollars tomorrow, what would be the first thing you would buy?

A bottle of antacid.  ;) I'd take some time to figure out how best to spend the remaining $999,997.

~Who is your role model now & who was it when you were a kid?

I don't really have one now. When I was a kid it varied year to year - teachers, parents, celebrities, etc.

~What is your favorite cartoon series? South Park

~Who is your favorite music artist from these decades: 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s

60s: The Beatles  70s: Led Zeppelin  80s: Metallica  90s: Alice in Chains  00s: Eminem

~Have you ever met someone in real life off of the Internet?

No, not yet.

~Are you in love?  In lust?

I'm happily maried to my wife, Nicole. We've been married for almost four years now, and were together for five before that. Yes, I love her.

~If you had to give up sex for one year in exchange for $5000 would you do it?

Sounds like a reverse indecent proposal, lol. No way would I go a year w/o sex for 5k.  Maybe for a month... I doubt it though.

~Describe your idea of the perfect mate.

I've already found her. But, to briefly describe my ideal mate: intelligent, thoughtful, funny, kind, a bit perverted and good looking.

~Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I don't have Dave Chappelle's Magic Camcorder, so I don't know for sure. I try not to think quite that far ahead.

~What are your goals in life for the next 10 years?

Getting a house of my own is my main goal. A better job/career would be second.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/18/07 at 3:18 pm

I've been thinking of starting a poll on the Song Parody board, mainly to see which parodies people would want me to record first. I want to do 5 of them at the start, but have only 3 I'm set on. Haven't decided on the other 2 that I would like to do as starter recordings.

I would have to do some links for them as well.

I don't have the recording equipment yet(or the money for it).

I would like to start the survey soon, would it be too early?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/19/07 at 6:04 pm

I've been thinking of starting a poll on the Song Parody board, mainly to see which parodies people would want me to record first. I want to do 5 of them at the start, but have only 3 I'm set on. Haven't decided on the other 2 that I would like to do as starter recordings.

I would have to do some links for them as well.

I don't have the recording equipment yet(or the money for it).

I would like to start the survey soon, would it be too early?

May be a bit too early. I'd wait until you have recording equipment and some kind of backing tracks for the songs you want to do.

By the way, for recording gear, you can get Audactity and Anvil Studios free from the 'net. As for a microphone, stand, cables, etc, check www.musiciansfriend.com - they have setups as low as 20$.

Ant

Written By: Howard on 07/19/07 at 7:24 pm

Where do you go for shopping?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/19/07 at 8:12 pm

Where do you go for shopping?

For instruments/recording gear: www.musiciansfriend.com
For food: We eat out a lot, but Farm Fresh and Food Lion mainly.
For clothes: I hate to admit it, but I got some really nice stuff (to me anyway) at Stein Mart. 'course, since Nicole works there I get another 25% off the prices.

I usually detest shopping, so I'm not looking foward to getting new shoes even though I really need them. I'll probably go to the Red Wing outlet in Hampton, 'cause I destroy cheaper shoes in two months or less.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 07/20/07 at 3:01 pm

May be a bit too early. I'd wait until you have recording equipment and some kind of backing tracks for the songs you want to do.

By the way, for recording gear, you can get Audactity and Anvil Studios free from the 'net. As for a microphone, stand, cables, etc, check www.musiciansfriend.com - they have setups as low as 20$.

Ant

Thank you. :)

Krist also gave me some links to some stuff.  :)

At the moment(in case you haven't heard)....

My computer at home is clogged with by a spyware hi-jack of sorts(I wasn't able to get into any sites to download Spybot or Microsoft Defender because of it) and I'm trying to see if someone will help me get some stuff to install on my computer to get rid of it.

I'll PM the you the ones I'm decided on and the ones I'm torn on selecting(although most of them will be recorded at some point).

Just so you can get a peak on what I'm deciding on.

Written By: nally on 11/24/07 at 12:51 am

I usually detest shopping, so I'm not looking foward to getting new shoes even though I really need them. I'll probably go to the Red Wing outlet in Hampton, 'cause I destroy cheaper shoes in two months or less.

I have to admit that I am not especially fond of shopping either, especially when it's for new shoes. I often wear the same ones until they're on the verge of wearing out.

So anyway, how was your Thanksgiving?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/24/07 at 1:31 am

I have to admit that I am not especially fond of shopping either, especially when it's for new shoes. I often wear the same ones until they're on the verge of wearing out.

So anyway, how was your Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving was nice. Not much of my family made it into town, but an old friend dropped by, the food was great and the weather was beautiful.

Re: shoes, I should have gone to the Red Wing store. Both pairs of sneakers I bought in July are already trashed.

Ant

Written By: Howard on 11/24/07 at 6:52 am

What are your plans for Christmas?

Written By: Red Ant on 11/25/07 at 11:26 pm

What are your plans for Christmas?

Getting through it while trying to avoid the mass commercialization of the holiday.

There will be a few dinners I go to with family: one here for immediate family, one with my wife's side of the family and probably one with my dad and his wife. Calling some friends and generally not doing a lot.

I'm not sure how much work I will do the week of Christmas: seeing as how it falls on a Tuesday this year I might take a week and a half off from work. The weather might do it for me: it's quite unpredictable, even in late December. It's been as warm as 80 and as cold as 25, and there's no way to tell how it's going to be until around the 21st.

Ant

Written By: Howard on 11/26/07 at 6:46 am

What are your hobbies?

Written By: saver on 12/08/07 at 1:42 am

Uh, is this like a 'sage' game?

ASK YOU ANYTHING?
Ok...Is it Joey or JOSEPH Lawrence?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/08/07 at 2:10 am

It MUST be a guy thing.  My hubby (we've even bought new shoes for him) and yet he still wears the old ones and the sole is splitting from the main shoe itself.  I just don't understand it.  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 12/09/07 at 12:43 am

What are your hobbies?

Horseback riding, playing volleyball, walking on the beach, starring in feminine product commercials...

Actually, writing and recording parodies is my main one right now. I do have other hobbies... I think.  ;)

Uh, is this like a 'sage' game?

ASK YOU ANYTHING?
Ok...Is it Joey or JOSEPH Lawrence?

Sage game? You lost me there.

Gut instinct is Joey Lawrence.

It MUST be a guy thing.  My hubby (we've even bought new shoes for him) and yet he still wears the old ones and the sole is splitting from the main shoe itself.  I just don't understand it.   ;D

If someone buys me shoes that fit, I will wear them. I don't like shoe shopping because I know what I want and don't feel the need to spend half the day to get a pair of shoes. Also, I know that when I go I'm not getting off cheaper than 150$... unless I did like last time and buy crap that I know won't last.

Ant

Written By: saver on 12/10/07 at 5:26 am

Horseback riding, playing volleyball, walking on the beach, starring in feminine product commercials...

Actually, writing and recording parodies is my main one right now. I do have other hobbies... I think.  ;)

Sage game? You lost me there.

Gut instinct is Joey Lawrence.

If someone buys me shoes that fit, I will wear them. I don't like shoe shopping because I know what I want and don't feel the need to spend half the day to get a pair of shoes. Also, I know that when I go I'm not getting off cheaper than 150$... unless I did like last time and buy crap that I know won't last.

Ant

The sage game reference(may be another name wherever you happen to be located), is where you can ask a psychic or know-it-all a question and they will give you the answer..they now make an electronic version, but you ask , yes/no questions..will I marry?-THE ANSWER: The Sage says 'Yes'...

I asked of J Lawrence as it is pop culture that he declared at his latest age he will now like to be Joe or Joseph-all grown, yet on 'Dancin' With the Stars news and follow-up reports it would address him as Joey still.

Just like Ricky Schroeder dropped to Rick and then announced he's back to Ricky!

ahhh Hollywood!!!!  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/10/07 at 6:45 am

What are your goals for 2008?

Written By: saver on 12/10/07 at 8:35 pm

you near the Virginia tech area..I know people around Richmond...been there like the openess...

Written By: Red Ant on 12/11/07 at 6:21 pm

you near the Virginia tech area..I know people around Richmond...been there like the openess...

Blacksburg is over 4 hours to the west of me, so no, I'm not too close to it. I was up in Petersburg today, which is a bit south of Richmond. I always take 295 around it, so I can't say I'm familiar with Richmond either.

What are your goals for 2008?

Hadn't really thought of them by year. My number one goal at the moment is to quit smoking and stay quit.

Ant

Written By: saver on 12/11/07 at 9:36 pm

Blacksburg is over 4 hours to the west of me, so no, I'm not too close to it. I was up in Petersburg today, which is a bit south of Richmond. I always take 295 around it, so I can't say I'm familiar with Richmond either.

Hadn't really thought of them by year. My number one goal at the moment is to quit smoking and stay quit.

Ant

Ahh good ol Petersburg, been there interesting turn off when you go up a road and it leads to the expressway out of nowhere...I heard the trains every day.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/07 at 6:13 am

Ant

How long you've been smoking?

Written By: nally on 07/21/08 at 5:15 pm

I didn't even know you smoked in the first place. Is that true?? :o

Written By: Red Ant on 07/21/08 at 5:20 pm

Too long - about 6 years.

I didn't even know you smoked in the first place. Is that true?? :o

Sad but true.

I tried back in December to quit with Chantix, but unfortunately it gave me massive, blinding headaches at really bad times - like high up on a ladder on a worksite.

Ant

Written By: nally on 07/21/08 at 5:21 pm

So are you gonna try another method then?

Written By: Red Ant on 07/21/08 at 5:24 pm

So are you gonna try another method then?

Since cold turkey turns me into Captain Super Asshole, the gums taste horrid and the patches don't stick (I sweat way too much for that weak adhesive to hold), I might try lozenges in the near future. I've got other, more pressing medical issues to take care of the next few months before I think about trying to quit again.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/08 at 5:27 pm

Hey Ant, any hope of resurrecting NP? Maybe we could do a "last call" to see if people will help.

Since cold turkey turns me into Captain Super Asshole, the gums taste horrid and the patches don't stick (I sweat way too much for that weak adhesive to hold), I might try lozenges in the near future. I've got other, more pressing medical issues to take care of the next few months before I think about trying to quit again.

Ant

I read on the Quitnet (today actually) that there are trials in Sweden for a new quit smoking vaccine. We will have to wait and see how it goes.

Cat 

Written By: Red Ant on 07/21/08 at 5:34 pm

Hey Ant, any hope of resurrecting NP? Maybe we could do a "last call" to see if people will help.

That site's owner has the final say on what happens to the NP forum. I don't think it's going away for good - we still need a test bed for SMF2.0 here, which NP already has. As for getting more people to help/join/post, I'm at a loss as to how to do it. There's only 8 or so members that have even logged in to NP in the past 6 months, maybe 5 of which have posted in the past 2 months at all.  :-\\

I read on the Quitnet (today actually) that there are trials in Sweden for a new quit smoking vaccine. We will have to wait and see how it goes.

Cat 

Sounds promising. It'll be a few years before that gets approval here (if it passes the trial stage) - I hope to be quit by then, but if not, I'll look for it.

Ant

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/08 at 5:37 pm

That site's owner has the final say on what happens to the NP forum. I don't think it's going away for good - we still need a test bed for SMF2.0 here, which NP already has. As for getting more people to help/join/post, I'm at a loss as to how to do it. There's only 8 or so members that have even logged in to NP in the past 6 months, maybe 5 of which have posted in the past 2 months at all.  :-\\

Ant

Let me think about it for a bit and get back to you with some ideas.

Cat

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/16/08 at 3:04 pm

Sounds promising. It'll be a few years before that gets approval here (if it passes the trial stage) - I hope to be quit by then, but if not, I'll look for it.

Ant

Hey, I'm ready to be as wicked / nasty as they COME    >:(    8) ................ provided there's  an audience ?      ??? ::)    :P :D

Written By: Davester on 10/03/08 at 10:49 pm

Ant, you're not blue anymore.  What gives..?

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/03/08 at 11:29 pm

Hi Jack. Well, I've read that this thing that I reported about (bug report) ... is some kind of 'filter' .... resulting in extra unwanted smiley >  8)

usually immediately adjacent to another smiley. I'm finding it a right pain  >:(  ... distorts my intended message. Doesn't appear in preview mode ... only appears afterwards .... and I have to keep going back in afterwards, to remove it . Is this filter really necessary ... / can anything be done ?

I notice it affects numerous other member's smilies too !  :(

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/03/08 at 11:30 pm

Yes .... and there it is ... in the above post ^  ... I did not place THAT next to my final 'sad' smiley ..

Written By: nally on 10/04/08 at 1:58 am

Yeah, I noticed that too! He seems to have completely redone his profile

Written By: midnite on 10/13/08 at 8:43 pm

Are all fire ants red in color?  Are their green ones or blue ones?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/13/08 at 9:58 pm

Hey Dave, sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I'm no longer doing LM stuff here. It was fun, but two+ years of doing it along with being on the road so much... well time to hang up the reigns, I guess.

Hi Jack. Well, I've read that this thing that I reported about (bug report) ... is some kind of 'filter' .... resulting in extra unwanted smiley >   8)

usually immediately adjacent to another smiley. I'm finding it a right pain  >:(  ... distorts my intended message. Doesn't appear in preview mode ... only appears afterwards .... and I have to keep going back in afterwards, to remove it . Is this filter really necessary ... / can anything be done ?

I notice it affects numerous other member's smilies too !   :(

I think Tam has taken care of it now - not sure she got all the bugs fixed yet, but I've the utmost confidence in her. As for NP, it's kinda an empty theatre these days, though a few of us still post once in a while over there.

Yeah, I noticed that too! He seems to have completely redone his profile

Yeah, I did. I had planned on updating my sig, avatar and all that, but my internet service went doing right after I deleted the old info.  I'd forgotten about it until now.

Are all fire ants red in color?  Are their green ones or blue ones?

I think all fire ants are red, at least the ones I've seen.

Ant

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/13/08 at 10:22 pm

As for NP, it's kinda an empty theatre these days, though a few of us still post once in a while over there.

Ant

Myself .. . included. ^ So ... get your asses over THERE ! (Especially you 'Star Trek next gen / Voyager ' male fans ... if you wanna see your fantasies sorta realised ?  :-X    ;D  ) .

Written By: nally on 10/14/08 at 12:10 am

Hey Dave, sorry it's taken me so long to reply - I'm no longer doing LM stuff here. It was fun, but two+ years of doing it along with being on the road so much... well time to hang up the reigns, I guess.

oh, ok then...thanks for letting us know! You've done a fantastic job as LM, and that position will always be remembered with your "M" medal (i think).

Good luck in whatever else you do!

Written By: Green Lantern on 10/14/08 at 12:17 am

^

Davester's taking over as LM / you're retiring?  ???

Well ... you've done a pretty good,  balanced job. Enjoy your 'retirement'  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/09 at 6:58 am

What was thrown off the Tallahatchie Bridge in the song Ode To Billie Joe?

Written By: nally on 01/04/09 at 3:52 pm

"Username Deleted"? Any particular reason why you decided to change?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/05/09 at 1:25 am

What was thrown off the Tallahatchie Bridge in the song Ode To Billie Joe?

My guess is a miscarried baby. 

"Username Deleted"? Any particular reason why you decided to change?

I got a lucrative contract from Snapped-On tools.  ;)

Actually, it was a spur-of-the-moment idea. I did check to make sure I could get back my original name before I got it changed.

signature banned as well

Written By: nally on 01/05/09 at 1:59 pm

okay then...gotcha. ;)

edit: Actually, I don't really get it, but whatever the reason is for your change, I respect it.

You're still RedAnt on Amiright?

Written By: Red Ant on 01/10/09 at 11:39 pm

okay then...gotcha. ;)

You're still Red Ant on Amiright?

Yes.

signature banned as well

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/09 at 3:36 am

My guess is a miscarried baby. 

signature banned as well
Thanks.

Written By: nally on 05/02/09 at 9:12 pm

I know this is kindof old, but... I just got curious again on the subject, from having gone back to the beginning of the thread.

Yes

No, thankfully.  :D

Does it begin with a consonant?

Written By: Jessica on 05/02/09 at 9:18 pm

Are you aware that you have a heavy Virginia accent? :D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/02/09 at 10:24 pm

Are you aware that you have a heavy Virginia accent? :D

haha! Talking mostly to other Virginians on a day to day basis, no, I'm not really aware of it.

Is it a good or bad thing?  ;D

I know this is kindof old, but... I just got curious again on the subject, from having gone back to the beginning of the thread.

Does it begin with a consonant?

Yes.

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 05/02/09 at 10:48 pm

Is it a good or bad thing?  ;D

Ant

Good thing!  I love Southern accents! :D

Written By: karen on 05/03/09 at 8:01 pm

Does your middle name start with a letter between B and G?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/03/09 at 9:26 pm

Yes.

Good thing!  I love Southern accents! :D

8)

My accent today was more of the expletive dialect than anything distinctly Virginian.  ;D I spent the better part of the last 9 hours scraping the remaining cracked plaster from the living room ceiling (a project that started, oh, 10 YEARS ago), and cleaning up the resulting mess. After I finish removing the kitchen plaster, I get to prime it all, then retexture it all. After that I'm going tear out the fugly ass worn out carpet that is in the living room and redo the kitchen floor. Then it's onto the toilet drains and tearing out all the old rotten bell iron.  Lots of expletives.  ;D

Ant

Written By: nally on 05/05/09 at 9:43 pm

Yes.
Ant

okay...

It's not Daniel, is it?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/06/09 at 12:05 am

okay...

It's not Daniel, is it?

No, but "Daniels" would be infinitely more cool than my middle name.  8)

Ant

Written By: Davester on 05/06/09 at 5:44 am

Yes.

8)

My accent today was more of the expletive dialect than anything distinctly Virginian.  ;D I spent the better part of the last 9 hours scraping the remaining cracked plaster from the living room ceiling (a project that started, oh, 10 YEARS ago), and cleaning up the resulting mess. After I finish removing the kitchen plaster, I get to prime it all, then retexture it all. After that I'm going tear out the fugly ass worn out carpet that is in the living room and redo the kitchen floor. Then it's onto the toilet drains and tearing out all the old rotten bell iron.  Lots of expletives.  ;D

Ant

Are you retexturing the kitchen yourself, or are you bringing-in someone to do that?  Retexturing is something that, if not done right, looks absolutely terrible.  It's like an art form in itself...

Written By: nally on 05/06/09 at 10:44 am

No, but "Daniels" would be infinitely more cool than my middle name.  8)

Ant

okay, then I'll make another guess later.

Anyway...do you have any siblings? If so, are you the oldest, youngest, or somewhere in between?

Written By: karen on 05/06/09 at 8:51 pm

Is it a 'proper' name or is it your mothers maiden name or something?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/07/09 at 10:21 am

Is it a 'proper' name or is it your mothers maiden name or something?

It is a proper name.

Anyway...do you have any siblings? If so, are you the oldest, youngest, or somewhere in between?

I have one sister a few years younger than myself.

Are you retexturing the kitchen yourself, or are you bringing-in someone to do that?  Retexturing is something that, if not done right, looks absolutely terrible.  It's like an art form in itself...

That remains to be determined - we haven't decided what texture type we want to go with. Some methods are easier to do than others.  I wanted to rip out all the old cement board and hang new drywall... anyway, if I get in over my head, I'll get a pro out here in a hurry.

Ant

Written By: nally on 05/10/09 at 1:21 am

It is a proper name.

Is it David? (Just a random guess)

Also, did you have a favorite subject in school?

Written By: Davester on 05/10/09 at 1:15 pm

Ant, check it out...

Hanging out with a friend yesterday, went to watch the new Star Trek.  Afterwards were at his house checking out some vids on-line.  We watched a funny parody of Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff" where the author claims Marley should not act as his own attorney because while he admits to shooting the sheriff, he denies shooting the deputy.  The investigating officers don't see the difference and talk about him getting a life sentence if he's found guilty at trial.  It was a funny video (looked like Family Guy-style animation) but my problem is this:  in the song Marley admits to shooting the sheriff but never reveals whether or not he kills him, or did I miss something?  Murder or attempted murder?  Obviously Marley would never receive a life sentence for wounding the sheriff in the shoulder...

Edited because I mixed-up deputy and sheriff...

Written By: Red Ant on 05/10/09 at 7:53 pm

Also, did you have a favorite subject in school?

Not David.

Yes I did.

Ant, check it out...

Hanging out with a friend yesterday, went to watch the new Star Trek.  Afterwards were at his house checking out some vids on-line.  We watched a funny parody of Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff" where the author claims Marley should not act as his own attorney because while he admits to shooting the sheriff, he denies shooting the deputy.  The investigating officers don't see the difference and talk about him getting a life sentence if he's found guilty at trial.  It was a funny video (looked like Family Guy-style animation) but my problem is this:  in the song Marley admits to shooting the sheriff but never reveals whether or not he kills him, or did I miss something?  Murder or attempted murder?  Obviously Marley would never receive a life sentence for wounding the sheriff in the shoulder...

Edited because I mixed-up deputy and sheriff...

I'd love to see that parody.

I looked back at the song lyrics. "They say they want to bring me in guilty. For the killing of a deputy". My best guess (a wild one at that) is that the deputy and sheriff are the same person, but Marley makes a distinction based on a simple title (sheriff) vs a respectable position (deputy), because the sheriff is crooked.

It's possible that a man in 197x could have received a life sentence for attempted murder of a cop.

How was the new Star Trek?

Ant

Written By: karen on 05/10/09 at 8:21 pm

David isn't weird or embarrassing.  I know some very nice people called David.

Is it something old fashioned like Herbert?

Written By: nally on 05/10/09 at 8:53 pm

Like I said above, it was just a wild guess. ;) Also, I've known several people named David.

Written By: Davester on 05/10/09 at 10:40 pm

Not David.

Yes I did.

I'd love to see that parody.

I looked back at the song lyrics. "They say they want to bring me in guilty. For the killing of a deputy". My best guess (a wild one at that) is that the deputy and sheriff are the same person, but Marley makes a distinction based on a simple title (sheriff) vs a respectable position (deputy), because the sheriff is crooked.

It's possible that a man in 197x could have received a life sentence for attempted murder of a cop.

How was the new Star Trek?

Ant

Of course!  Man I completely missed that!  I understand it now.  A sheriff is, in essence, a politician.  A deputy is an average joe trying to earn a living.  It's now 2009 and I'm finally getting a clue about that song... :-\\

It's beautiful...

Star Trek was okeedokee.  I posted a half-ass review of it.  You gonna watch it..?

Written By: nally on 05/11/09 at 4:51 pm

Not David.

Yes I did.

Would you care to tell us what it is? Or should we play a guessing game? I'm going to guess...NOT history.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/20/09 at 2:12 am

Sorry I've been so long in replying here...

I don't know if it's old fashioned or not. It is two syllables though.

Of course!  Man I completely missed that!  I understand it now.  A sheriff is, in essence, a politician.  A deputy is an average joe trying to earn a living.  It's now 2009 and I'm finally getting a clue about that song... :-\\

It's beautiful...

Star Trek was okeedokee.  I posted a half-ass review of it.  You gonna watch it..?

I still haven't seen it. I don't think it's out on DVD yet, but I'll check the movie rental store later tonight.

Would you care to tell us what it is? Or should we play a guessing game? I'm going to guess...NOT history.

Not history. I loved math and chemistry.

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 06/20/09 at 3:16 am

Does your middle name actually begin with a D?

is it Diggler?  ;D

will you ask me questions in my thread? the link is in my sig line! :)

Written By: nally on 06/20/09 at 3:07 pm

Not history. I loved math and chemistry.

Ant
So I was correct then.

I loved math too...but I struggled at chemistry.

Check for new replies or respond here...